The Hollow Earth Expedition RPG

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Ares
Site Admin

The Hollow Earth Expedition RPG

Post by Ares »

Anyone who's looked in the Books, Comics and Web-Comics forum probably knows I'm a huge fan of the old Pulps and Film Serials, and I'm always seeking out RPGs that emulate such fiction. I own the Indiana Jones RPG, Spirits of the Century, Call of Cthulhu, Pulp Cthulhu, Godlike, and more. Hollow Earth Expedition (or HEX) is one of the latest RPGs designed to emulate such a world, and it does a great job of it.

RPG.net Review: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12635.phtml

Seth Skorkowsky's video review of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OEbfdO907o

Seth's follow up review of the sample adventure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK5P2Yz23vg

There's also been several follow up source books that include details of the Surface World, more info on the Hollow Earth, a book on Mars for the John Carter and Flash Gordon fans, and some more adventures. All in all, I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the Pulp genre.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Re: The Hollow Earth Expedition RPG

Post by RUSCHE »

Thoughts on Savage world Rpg?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 pm Thoughts on Savage world Rpg?
Seems like a decent enough system with a lot of flexibility, but I'm admittedly more of a fan of Stat + Skill systems where both are solid numbers, rather than Stat = d4, d6, d8, etc. style systems.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I was curious, the system is not my style as well.(old Marvel,DC and Dnd) . The setting seemed fun.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:29 pm I was curious, the system is not my style as well.(old Marvel,DC and Dnd) . The setting seemed fun.
Savage World isn't really a setting in and of itself, as far as I know. It's more akin to GURPS where it's meant to be a universal system that can be used for various settings. It's been used for games such as Deadlands, RIFTS, Solomon Kane, Weird War II, etc.

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I was looking at (old ?) Pulp book. Was thinking that was what is was only about. I see it has a new core book coming out. Sorry for the misinformation. 😜
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Really, if there is anything I love about Hollow Earth Expedition as well the rest of Ubiquity System-powered games, it's the elaborate first-person backstories they give to the pregenerated characters.
Markow

Post by Markow »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:11 am Really, if there is anything I love about best electric log splitters as well the rest of Ubiquity System-powered games, it's the elaborate first-person backstories they give to the pregenerated characters.
This RPG has somehow flown under my radar. It seems decently complex. Hopefully I'll get the chance to try it out at some point.
Last edited by Markow on Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

ooo this sounds interesting, even if only for setting material.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Topping this, will go through my collection a little later.

Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Been playing in a campaign for a few weeks now and it is a lot of fun. Easy to learn and captures the pulp feeling well, although characters do feel a bit too *squishy* even with decent ability scores for my tastes.