What's your type.?

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Sidious

Re: What's your type.?

Post by Sidious »

I've played a lot of different types of characters.
Really the game itself and the group being played with will determine the kind of character more than anything.

You could have a dungeon crawl that lets you not have to think to a politically charged heavy rp game of Vampire.

My most fun character, though, was a tech in a d20 Star Wars game. He was a skill monkey who kinda illegally (that is in debate to this day) commandeered the ship he was working on, partnering with the pilot of the vessel and joining the rebellion.

He was also a crack shot. Demonstrated by when the team was getting it's butt handed to it by the exo-skeleton wearing goon that no one could put a dent into. For 2 turns I was searching the computer for locations in the mine we were in. The goon finally draws a bead on my location and the other team members yell at my to pay attention to the fight in-character.
"Fine." I take the aim action.
Next turn my initiative is first so I shoot the goon.
Nat 20.
Roll for Crit.
Nat 20 again.
He falls over dead with the other players looking at him slack jawed.
"Now can I get back to what I was doing or do you need me to stop another big bad man?"
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

I’ve got a few types;

Mages who are bookworms and nerdy and mostly just here for the ancient runic patterns. Sometimes this translates into a Zatanna type in superhero role playing games.

Flying bricks of the Power Girl mode, often with a specific cause or outlook shaping her views.

Costumed vigilantes in the Batman mould who reject the latter day Frank Miller influences in favour of focusing on a more 70s Dennis O’Neil inspired approach, with detective work and puzzle solving and gadgets.

All tend to be gay and/or trans, naturally.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Superhero wise ive had a too many to count honestly but I think my personal favorite has to be Rolling Thunder my first ever Brick and pretty much my first ever character in any game. The trick is that thunder for all his amazing strength and Durability which let him face down every brick type bad guy -- and quite a few good guys--in every major system and win. His real strengths were that he was smarter then most, no genius mind you but still smarter then the average bear. Add in that he was quicker on his toes then most bricks and you had a Brick that had to be played smarter then just smash.

Im also a fan of Aquatic types like Mako my Atlantean bruiser who T-man made a great conversion of.

Smart special ops types are always fun such as Panda

Vindicator lets me stretch my science and tech genius legs

And one of these days Id like to Try Dark Angel out in a campaign the Batman types can be fun as well especially if you balance the dark knights with the smarter detectives

for D&D ive always had a soft spot for good old fashioned fighters. theres something to be said for the versatility of the class especially if you play them smart instead of Grog swing sword

for Star Wars my types always skewerd towards either Ana Tathis my jedi. I honestly think too many people misplay the Jedi like they misplay Paladins. they play the jedi as lawful stupid or as emotionless robots, the Jedi are not badguys or hypocrits that woke nonsense that gets spewed out on fanboy pages.

the Jedi are meant to tbe the good guys and yes they are flawed. their failure was in as yoda said in the Last Jedi the inability to learn from that failure and to adapt to the times. that was how I played Ana she saw that the Jedis downfall came from a failure to evolve and from an unwillingness to understand how the darkside functioned. not a full embrace but a functional understanding which ironically she got from Gray Bishop

Gray Bishop was a character that showed up in several systems but most prominently in Star wars as a Dark force user trained by Vader -- wlel before the Force Unleashed games-- as a secret apprentice and weapon but who turned on the Empire and was joined by a motley crew who had many adventures and was taught to expand his force knowledge and abilities by Ana and Yoda which helped him become a grey Jedi of sorts. Independent and Balanced.

I think in many ways I like Characters that on the face are simple but show layers and depth to them as you go along and role play and interact.

Eva was always interesting to me thanks to Tman and force ops because she starts off as stiff and seemingly one dimensional, and even a bit cliché. But as she interacts with the Force Ops team even theo ;) she grows more and more, developing past her lab rat beginnings and opening up as a person while retaining the core of her character
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Martial Artist, the Anime kind.
Magical Girls, the Martial Artist Kind.
Meme builds.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Hmmmm, I do have a soft spot for Superman & Batman types.

Unfortunately in practice my usual type is, Gamemaster.
Egyptoid

Post by Egyptoid »

I'm too chaotic. Plus I usually DM.
Usually a utility player, asking "what does the team need?"
<<<<< <<<< MARVEL SUPERHEROES :arrow: Thunderfury Comics >>>>>>> >>>>>>
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

My primary type is the tactician or team coordinator/leader. Think Cyclops or Captain America. Though I enjoy playing formidable and dynamic characters I get more out of organizing affairs, strategizing, and enabling my companions.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Egyptoid wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:26 pm I'm too chaotic. Plus I usually DM.
Usually a utility player, asking "what does the team need?"
I can relate to that, especially in DnD. I would rather be a swiss-army knife than a hammer.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.