Suggestions on how to build....

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Tattooedman

Suggestions on how to build....

Post by Tattooedman »

Hello, like the title says - I could use some help/advice on how to build a NPC. The idea is he's a genius who has made several robot bodies that he projects his mind into to operate.

My issue is that I'm unsure on how to build the robots. Should I use Summon, or Alternate form or Morph with the Metamorph option to build the robot forms?

So suggestions? Or is there another option I've not thought of?
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions on how to build....

Post by Ares »

This sounds mostly like a Summon effect. You'd definitely want to give it the following extras:

-Controlled
-Heroic
-Mental Link

This to me would allow the character to essentially mentally control the robot form at range, and the robot would function as another character. I don't think you need Extended Range to control the Summon if you've got Mental Link, but I could be wrong.

If all the robot bodies are identical, that should be all you need. If the robots can be altered for specific situations (a Combat Heavy Model, an Infiltration Model, a Work in the Lab model, etc.) then you'd need Variable Type. If he has the ability to control multiple robot bodies at once, then you'd Multiple Minions, possibly Horde. You could potentially do something where you have a Heroic Summon for the Master Robots he controls, but then AP off of that a Summon with Multiple Minions and Horde, where he floods the area with mook robots that AREN'T heroic, and thus can be smashed with impunity.

You could possibly include a few Flaws as well, such as the following:
- Limited - Controlling body is incapacitated while controlling robots.
- Limited - Robot bodies must be pre-built in a lab and cannot simply be summoned as a Standard Action
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Honestly while Ares is spot on if this guys an NPC a simpler solution may present itself.

its the classic doombot scenario. just build the robots and whenever one is destroyed have a hero point ready as the PCs are stunned to learn that the guy was a robot all along. this continues until the PCs discover this pattern and realize that hes elsewhere and they need to track him down

Build the NPC as a standard character.

the tricky part and where Ares suggestion comes into play is if its possible to stop his ability to control a robot in some fashion. if they can then Summons seems the appropriate since hes projecting into the bots with as ares said the added flaws
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Thanks Ares & catsi. Summon was way easier to build than what i was originally thinking (Morph with several ranks of Metamorph).

Once I get the build finalized I'll share it.
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Happy to help! Looking forward to seeing the final product.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

welcome welcome =^_^=
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Ken

Post by Ken »

They say NoMan is an island.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Tattooedman

The "Finished" product

Post by Tattooedman »

Alright, I think I've got the build pretty much done (just need the background finished out) but otherwise it's ready to be seen from a technical point. Thanks again for the input everyone!

--
PL:
Strength 1
Stamina 1
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 2
Intellect 8
Awareness 4
Presence 4

Skills: Deception 3 (+7/+9), Expertise [Business] 4 (+12), Expertise [Science] 12 (+20), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+7/+9 ), Technology 12 (+20)

Advantages: Attractive, Benefit 5 [Wealth 5 (Billionaire)], Equipment 5, Inventor, Jack Of All Trades, Skill Mastery [Technology], Speed of Thought, Task Focus [Expertise (Science): Engineering], Ultimate Effort [Technology]

Powers: Deploy Robots: Summon 15 [Prebuilt Robots; 225 pt subjects] (Extras: Controlled, Heroic, Variable Type [Niche Robots]); (Feat: Mental Link); (Flaw: Limited [Robots can only be summoned at HQ], Limited [Robots cannot be summoned as a Standard Action], Limited [Controlling body is incapacitated while controlling robots])

Offense: Initiative +8
Melee Attack +2
Ranged Attack +0

Defense: Dodge +3
Parry +3
Toughness +1
Fortitude +3
Will +8

Equipment: Headquarters [Kane Tower (23 pts)]: Size: Gargantuan; Toughness: 12; Features:Communications, Computer, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Gym, Hangar, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System 3 [DC 30], Workshop

Costs: Abilities 40+ Skills 14+ Advantages 17+ Powers 46+ Defenses 10= 127 pts.

Height: 5’10”
Weight: 180 lbs
Hair: Black
Eye Color: Brown

Complications:
Addiction: Avatar has had a drinking problem in the past, but currently is on the wagon.

Fame: As Donny Kane, he is a recognized multi-billionaire playboy.

Identity: Avatar keeps the fact he is actually Donny Kane a secret from the general public.

Motivation ~Responsibility: Avatar uses his robots to help others and protect the public as a way to atone for the crimes of his father.

Background: The son of Cerebron, Donald "Donny" Kane decided at an early age that he needed to make amends for his father's misguided efforts. Dedicating himself to developing technology that would allow him to do that; he attended MIT at the age of sixteen, where he earned degrees in several fields of science.

Following that Donny became a business magnate using the money he'd earned from selling a few of his inventions to buy several small businesses that were working in various fields of technology that he rebranded as a single company - KaneKorp.

Silverwing Robot:
PL:
Strength 8
Stamina --
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 7
Intellect 8
Awareness 4
Presence 4

Skills: Acrobatics 12 (+12), Close Combat [Negative Energy Scythe] 2 (+10), Deception 4 (+8), Expertise [Science] 12 (+20), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+7), Ranged Combat [Negative Energy Weapon] 10 (+10), Technology 12 (+20)

Advantages: Agile Feint, Close Attack, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Jack Of All Trades, Power Attack, Skill Mastery [Technology], Speed of Thought, Ultimate Effort [Technology]

Powers: Robot Body:
Immunity 30 [Fortitude Effects]
Protection 8 (Extra: Impervious)
Senses 3 [Direction Sense, Vision (Extended, Radius)]

Negative Energy Powered Wings: Flight 15 (Feat: Move-By Action)

Negative Energy Weapon: (Easily Removable -18 pts) [30 pp]
Negative Energy Lance: Ranged Weaken Toughness 8 (Extra: Linked [Damage]); (Feat: Slow Fade 7 [1 hr]) & Ranged Energy Damage 10 (Extra: Penetrating)
-Negative Energy Deflection: Deflect 10 (Extras: Reflect, Redirect)
-Negative Energy Scythe: Weaken Toughness 8 (Extra: Linked [Damage]); (Feat: Slow Fade 7 [1 hr]) & Energy Damage 10 (Extra: Penetrating)

Melee Attack +8 // Negative Energy Scythe Attack +10
Ranged Attack +0 // Negative Energy Lance Attack +10

Defense: Dodge +12
Parry +12
Toughness +8* [*Impervious]
Fortitude N/A
Will +8

Costs: Abilities 62+ Skills 23+ Advantages 10+ Powers 110+ Defenses 20= 225 pts.

Bulwark Robot:
PL:
Strength 8
Stamina --
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 8
Intellect 8
Awareness 4
Presence 4

Skills: Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Deception 4 (+8), Expertise [Science] 12 (+20), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+7), Ranged Damage [Bulwark Blaster] 10 (+10), Technology 12 (+20)

Advantages: Improvised Tools, Interpose, Inventor, Jack Of All Trades, Power Attack, Skill Mastery [Technology], Speed of Thought, Ultimate Effort [Technology Checks], Ultimate Effort [Toughness Checks], Withstand Damage

Protection 10 (Extra: Impervious)

Flight Jets: Flight 8

Bulwark Shield Array:
Bulwark Recovery Generator: Healing 10 (Extras: Persistent, Restorative); (Feat: Stabilize)
-Bulwark Field Generator: Protection 8 (Extras: Affects Others, Area [Burst]); (Flaw: Limited [Only Affects others]) & Immunity 8 [All Environmental Conditions, Suffocation, Airborne Toxins] (Extras: Affects Others, Area [Burst]); (Flaw: Limited [Only Affects others])
-Bulwark Blast: Ranged Force Damage 10

Melee Attack +8 // Unarmed Attack +10
Ranged Attack +0 // Bulwark Blaster Attack +10

Defense: Dodge +10
Parry +10
Toughness +10* [*Impervious]
Fortitude N/A
Will +8

Costs: Abilities 64+ Skills 19+ Advantages 910+ Powers 110+ Defenses 16= 219 pts.
Double Action:
PL:
Strength 8
Stamina --
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 8
Intellect 8
Awareness 4
Presence 4

Skills: Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Deception 4 (+8), Expertise [Science] 12 (+20), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+7), Ranged Combat [Armaments Array] 8 (+8), Technology 12 (+20)

Advantages: Accurate Attack, Improved Aim,
Improvised Tools, Inventor, Jack Of All Trades, Power Attack, Skill Mastery [Technology], Speed of Thought, Ultimate Effort [Technology]

Protection 12 (Extra: Impervious 10)

Targeting System: Senses 8 [Vision (Extended 3)], Vision Counters Concealment, Darkvision, Infravision]

Armaments Array:
Blasters: Ranged Damage 12 (Extra: Penetrating); (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Precise, Variable Descriptor [any energy])
-Shoulder Mounted Cannon: Damage 12 (Extras: Area [Line] 2, Multiattack); (Flaw: Side-Effect [Immobile when used])
-Shoulder Mounted Missile Launcher: Ranged Damage 12 (Extra: Area [Burst], Selective); (Feat: Homing); (Flaw: Side-Effect [Immobile when used])

Offense: Initiative +4
Ranged Attack +0 // Armaments Array +8

Defense: Dodge +8
Parry +8
Toughness +12* [*Impervious 10]
Fortitude N/A
Will +8

Costs: Abilities 64+ Skills 18+ Advantages 10+ Powers 118+ Defenses 12= 202 pts.
Brawler Robot:
PL:
Strength 12
Stamina --
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 8
Fighting 8
Intellect 8
Awareness 4
Presence 4

Skills: Deception 4 (+8), Expertise [Science] 12 (+20), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+7), Ranged Combat [Thrown Objects] 8 (+8), Technology 12 (+20)

Advantages: All Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improvised Tools, Improved Aim, Improved Hold, Inventor, Jack Of All Trades, Power Attack, Skill Mastery [Technology], Speed of Thought, Ultimate Effort [Technology], Withstand Damage

Protection 12 (Extra: Impervious)

Reinforced Frame: Enhanced Strength 8 (Flaw: Limited [Lifting Only])
-Super Leg Servos: Leaping 8

Feats Of Super Strength:
~Sonic Slam: Affliction 12 [Dazed, Stunned; resisted by Fortitude] (Extra: Area [Cone] 2); (Flaw: Limited Degree)
~Thunderclap: Move Object 12 (Extra: Area [Cone] 2); (Flaws: Range [Close], Limited Direction [away])
~Groundstomp: Affliction 12 [Hindered, Prone; resisted by Dodge] (Extras: Burst Area x2 [60 ft radius]); (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited [Avatar must be on the same surface as targets])

Ranged Attack +0 // Thrown Objects Attack +8

Defense: Dodge +8
Parry +8
Toughness +12* [*Impervious]
Fortitude N/A
Will +8

Costs: Abilities 88+ Skills 17+ Advantages 13+ Powers 82+ Defenses 12= 212 pts.

Hammerhead Robot:
PL:
Strength 8
Stamina --
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 8
Intellect 8
Awareness 4
Presence 4

Skills: Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Deception 4 (+8), Expertise [Science] 12 (+20), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+7), Ranged Combat [] 10 (+10), Technology 12 (+20)

Advantages: Favored Environment [Aquatic],
Improvised Tools, Inventor, Jack Of All Trades, Power Attack, Skill Mastery [Technology], Speed of Thought, Ultimate Effort [Technology]

Movement 1 [Environment Adaptation (Aquatic)]
Protection 10

Aquatic Armament Array:
Net Caster: Ranged Affliction 10 [Hindered & Vulnerable, Defenseless & Immobilized; resisted by Dodge/Damage;) (Extra: Cumulative, Extra Condition); (Flaw: Limited Degree)
-Electrical Blast: Ranged Electrical Damage 10
-Micro-Harpoon Launcher: Ranged Ballistic Damage 10 (Extra: Multiattack)
-Blue-Green Laser: Ranged Light Damage 10 (Extra: Penetrating)

Multi-Environmental Turbines Array:
Flight 8
-Swimming 8

Sensors: Senses 10 [Sonar (Ranged Accurate Radius Ultra-Hearing), Direction Sense, Darkvision, Low-Light Vision, Time Sense]

Ranged Attack +0 // Aquatic Armament Array Attack +10

Defense: Dodge +10
Parry +10
Toughness +10
Fortitude N/A
Will +8

Costs: Abilities 64+ Skills 19+ Advantages 10+ Powers 99+ Defenses 16= 207 pts.
Stalker Robot:
PL:
Strength 8
Stamina --
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 8
Intellect 8
Awareness 4
Presence 4

Skills: Close Combat [Blacklight Blades] 2 (+10), Deception 4 (+8), Expertise [Science] 12 (+20), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+7), Ranged Combat [Blacklight Blades] 10 (+10), Stealth 6 (+6/+18) Technology 12 (+20)

Advantages: Benefit [Hide Tampering], Hide In Plain Sight, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Jack Of All Trades, Power Attack, Skill Mastery [Technology], Speed of Thought, Ultimate Effort [Technology Checks], Ultimate Effort [Security Sub-Skill Checks], Ultimate Effort [Stealth Checks]

Protection 6

Optical Imaging: Senses 2 [Darkvision]

Adaptive Infiltration System:
Enhanced Skill 4 [Stealth +12]
Concealment 6 [All Visual Senses, All Hearing] (Flaw: Check Required [Stealth])

Blacklight Blades Array:
Blacklight Blades 1: Ranged Electromagnetic Damage 10 (Extra: Multi-Attack); (Feat: Improved Critical 4)
-Blacklight Blades 2: Ranged Electromagnetic Damage 10 (Extra: Penetrating); (Feat: Improved Critical 4)
-Blacklight Blades 3: Electromagnetic Damage 10 (Extra: Penetrating); (Feat: Improved Critical 4)

Leg Servos:
Speed 10
Movement 1 [Safe Fall]
Movement 2 [Wall Crawling 2] (Flaw: Limited [Moves at half ground Speed])

Melee Attack +8 // Blacklight Blades Attack +10
Ranged Attack +0 // Blacklight Blades Attack +10

Defense: Dodge +14
Parry +14
Toughness +6
Fortitude N/A
Will +8

Costs: Abilities 64+ Skills 21+ Advantages 12+ Powers 98+ Defenses 28= 223 pts.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

:shock: ooooooooo fabuuuuuuuuu

Catsi stories