Fantasy Flight Games Discontinuing RPGs?

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Ares
Site Admin

Fantasy Flight Games Discontinuing RPGs?

Post by Ares »

http://www.d20radio.com/main/fantasy-fl ... velopment/
This article is a follow-up to a prior article published on January 8, 2020.

We at d20Radio are sad to announce that we have independently confirmed that, in the long term, Fantasy Flight Games will be discontinuing the production of its roleplaying game lines. This news comes in the wake of the layoff FFG’s RPG department staff, which occurred in early January of this year.

We have also confirmed that this will be a long-term endeavor, and that all currently announced and in-production RPG Products by FFG will be delivered. This means that the highly anticipated Starships and Speeders essential vehicles collection for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, as well as the Secrets of the Crucible Keyforge campaign setting for the Genesys Roleplaying Game will, indeed, be delivered and provide exciting official content for both RPG lines. It is still unknown, as of yet, what impact this plan will have on the fan-created content hub of the Genesys Foundry.

It also remains unknown as to why Fantasy Flight Games has made the decision to end RPG Production in the long-term. To date, neither FFG or their parent company, Asmodee, have made any public statement or comment on the matter.

While it is unsubstantiated conjecture, industry pundits and internet commentators have expressed numerous opinions that Asmodee is prepping FFG for a sale, or that French private equity firm, Eurazeo (who purchased Asmodee in 2013) is perhaps prepping Asmodee for a sale. Still other commentators are of the opinion that parent company Asmodee is simply seeking to focus exclusively on the board-game market. All of which – again – is unsubstantiated conjecture, to this point.

Following the 2013 acquisition by Eurazeo, Asmodee became extremely active in mergers and acquisitions of other hobby companies, beginning with the 2014 merger of Asmodee with Days of Wonder, and then with Fantasy Flight Games. 2016 saw the Asmodee acquisition of Z-Man Games, Plaid Hat Games, and Filosophia; as well as the announcement of agreements for Asmodee to publish the English-language versions of Catan from Mayfair Games (creating a new company, Catan Studio, Inc.). In 2017, Asmodee merged with German board game publisher Heidelberger Spieleverlag, and acquired the Spanish editor, Edge Entertainment. In 2018, Asmodee announced the acquisitions of both the Polish game publisher, Rebel; and the European distributor, ACD Blackfire Entertainment. None of these endeavors focused on the publishing of RPG material.

We at d20Radio are saddened by this news, as we have enjoyed a strong relationship with the FFG RPG team, and have become huge fans of their Star Wars, Genesys, and Legend of the Five Rings roleplaying games. The talented team that brought those game lines into the hobby world went above and beyond to maintain a great relationship with fans, and bring us some of the best roleplaying content we have ever had the privilege to play. More than that, they are our friends. Thankfully, their hard work has created games that we will continue to play – forever. And regardless of the long-term plans, we are extremely excited for the forthcoming content yet to come!

https://www.enworld.org/threads/fantasy ... gs.670385/
Back in January, it emerged that FFG was laying off a lot of staff, including RPG staff. Now, GM Chris over at d20 Radio is reporting that the company is discontinuing all RPG development, including Star Wars, Legend of the Five Rings, and its relatively newer Genesys universal system.

He says that all currently announced products will be produced, but in the long-term the RPG production is ending. There's some speculation regarding sales of companies to each other (FFG's owner is Asmodee, which is owned by PAI Partners who bought it from Eurazeo), but it's only conjecture. More info at the link below!

FFG's Katrina Ostrander appears to have confirmed the news:
David Gordon Buresh: Can you respond to this article from @d20radio stating you are planning to discontinue your RPG lines?http://www.d20radio.com/main/fantasy-fl ... velopment/

Katrina Ostrander: Yeah. This is the answer I gave to people asking about the L5R RPG when I ran it last weekend.
Back in January, FFG laid off over 14 staff, and shut down Fantasy Flight Interactive. Reports were that the tabletop RPG department had been "shuttered" -- reduced to a couple of full timers. It sounds now like the cut is more severe even than that.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Re: Fantasy Flight Games Discontinuing RPGs?

Post by Woodclaw »

Since my boss works in close contact with FFG, I think I can shed some light on the subject. What is going on is that FFG won't maintain a dedicated internal RPG division. While this might sound like a big deal, a lot of their projects were already outsourced and developed by smaller studios and publishers.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)