Mutants & Masterminds - Time Traveller's Codex

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Voltron64

Mutants & Masterminds - Time Traveller's Codex

Post by Voltron64 »

greycrusader

Re: Mutants & Masterminds - Time Traveller's Codex

Post by greycrusader »

The Lone Ranger!

Special Agents James West and Artemis Gordon!

Brisco County!

OK, yeah, none of those worthies is anywhere in the book, but my section on the Wild West of the Freedomverse is still pretty cool. If/when anyone picks up the book, I'm available for questions on my portion.

All my best.

PS: I also helped with the new skills dealing with animals, so I can answer questions about those rules too.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

greycrusader wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:57 pm The Lone Ranger!

Special Agents James West and Artemis Gordon!

Brisco County!

OK, yeah, none of those worthies is anywhere in the book, but my section on the Wild West of the Freedomverse is still pretty cool. If/when anyone picks up the book, I'm available for questions on my portion.

All my best.

PS: I also helped with the new skills dealing with animals, so I can answer questions about those rules too.
Technically the Lone Ranger is in the book, at least Bass Reeves, the real Lone Ranger and partial inspiration for the TV show, was mentioned twice in the book. Now if we could have gotten official stats for him... :D
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ha, yeah, I wish there had been more room for stat blocks in the book, because there were definitely a few historical and public domain figures I wanted to include, along with more legendary/folkloric Wild West creatures.

You could use the Gunslinger template for Reeves, adjusting it upwards to PL 8; add ranks of Ranged Combat skill with his pistols, boost his STR , STA, and FGH by a point apiece to reflect his powerful build, and add any further Advantages or skill ranks you think appropriate. Obviously he has the Complication: Prejudice (black man in the Old West) and Motivation: Justice.

All my best.
Last edited by greycrusader on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
neoX17

Post by neoX17 »

can you guys make a charactet from a different multi verse.?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Generally if you can come up with the idea, and the GM's good with it, you can play just about anything under the sun.
There are some people who created settings which are just a giant combination of everything under the sun. DC, Marvel, Transformers, Doctor Who,Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Gargoyles, Kamen Rider, Sailor Moon...

And that's stuff you can do with the base rules.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

neoX17 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:49 pm can you guys make a charactet from a different multi verse.?
Sure. Assuming the GM approves, you can play as a version of your favorite DC, Marvel, or other existing character. You can even do alternate versions of heroes and villains published in the various M&M books, stating in their backgrounds that they hail from parallel worlds or different timelines.
It doesn't affect character creation rules, really. Though it can provide interesting Complications, particularly if the counterparts are still active.

All my best.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

The templates which were cut from the Wild West section of the Time Travelers Codex:

(The Smooth-Talking Huckster was retained, but ratcheted down to a mere PL 2; consider the one provided below to be appropriate for a "name" NPC character, rather than a mere backgrounder; truly legendary examples of the Smooth-Talking Huckster and the Hardy Trailblazer might reach PL 7-8, simply boost their skills and either their Offensive (Trailblazer) or Defensive (Huckster) traits.)

Hardy Trailblazer-PL 5
STR 3 STA 4 AGL 2 DEX 2 FGT 3 INT 1 AWE 1 PRE 1
Equipment: Knife (STR-based Close Damage 2), Lariat (Grabbing 3, Reach 4, No Damage), Colt Pistol, Winchester Rifle, Survival Gear (compass, lantern, etc.)
Advantages: Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll 1, Endurance, Equipment 5, Leadership, Teamwork, Track, Second Chance (Environmental Hazards)
Skills: Athletics 2 (+5), Ranged Combat (firearms) 4 (+6), Expertise:Animal Handling 1 (+2), Expertise: Riding 2 (+4), Expertise: Survival 1 (+2), Perception 1 (+2), Persuasion 1 (+2), Stealth 2 (+4)
Offense: Init: +2, Hunting Knife +5 (Close, Damage 5), Lariat +2 (Fast Grab 6), Pistol +6 (Ranged, Damage 3), Rifle +6 (Ranged, Damage 4), Unarmed +5 (Close, Damage 3)
Defense: Dodge 4 Parry 6 Fort 5 Tough 4 Will 3
Totals: Abilities 34 + Advantages 11 + Skills 14 +Defenses 6 =65
Wagon masters, intrepid explorers, and daring scouts belong in this category, noted for their alertness, endurance, and survival skills. Without such individuals the frontier would never have yielded to settlers and cities. Though their tasks may be peaceable, they are well-able to handle trouble when it arises.

Smooth-Talking Huckster-PL 5
STR 1 STA 1 AGL 3 DEX 3 FGT 2 INT 2 AWE 2 PRE 4
Equipment: Bag O' Tricks (lock picks, spy glass, etc), Dagger (STR-based Close Damage 1, Concealable, Improved Critical 19-20), Sharps Derringer, Padded Vest (Protection 1).
Advantages: Defensive Roll 3, Luck 1, Equipment 2, Fascinate (Deception or Persuasion), Literacy, Ultimate Skill (Sleight of Hand)
Skills: Close Combat (blades) 2/4, Deception 4 (+8), Expertise: Gambling 4 (+6), Expertise:Riding 2 (+5), Insight, Persuasion 4 (+8), Sleight of Hand , Stealth
Offense: Init +3, Derringer +2, (Ranged, Damage 2), Stiletto +4 (Close, Damage 2), Unarmed +2 (Close, Damage 1),
Defense: Dodge 5, Parry 4, Fort 2, Tough 5/1, Will 4
Totals: Abilities 36 + Advantages 9 + Skills 18 +Defenses 2 =65

Smooth-tongued, deft of hand, and clever sharpies seeking their fortunes through guile and bravado. Among their number are brothel madams, gentlemen gamblers, and traveling show barkers. Even when completely honest in their endeavors, “respectable” citizens view them with suspicion and disdain. But they should not be underestimated-hucksters do not rely entirely on fortune, backing up their odds with a marked deck or hidden weapon.

Wendigo-PL 7
STR 5 STA 5 AGL 2 DEX 0 FGT 5 INT -2 AWE 1 PRE -2
Advantages:All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Claws), Track
Skills: Athletics 2 (+7), Close Combat (Bite/Claws) 2 (+7), Intimidate 4 (+2), Perception 4 (+5), Stealth 4 (+6)
Powers: Bite/Claws (Str-based Damage 2), Immunity 7 (aging, cold damage, disease), Movement (Sure-Footed), Impervious Protection 4, Regeneration 2, Senses 3(Accurate Extended Smell, Low-Light Vision), Speed 2
Offense: Init: +2, Bite/Claws +7 (Close, Damage 7) Defense: Dodge 2, Parry 5, Fort 5, Tough 9, Will 2
Totals: Abilities 28 + Powers 24 + Advantages 4+ Skills 18 +Defenses 1 = 75
Complications: Bestial, Monstrous Hunger, Vulnerable to fire
People warped into monsters by committing unspeakable acts, such as cannibalism, betrayal, or hoarding food while others starved, Wendigos are cursed with hunger, never satiated no matter how many victims they devour. Originating in the Canadian forests near Great Lakes, the beasts spread to the Pacific Northwest in search of human prey. Undying, they grow larger and more ravenous until slain through violence. Even worse are Wechurge, evil men and women bonded to malevolent spirits; Wechurge are stronger still and possessed of evil wisdom.

Elder Wendigo-PL 8: Add Advantages: Improved Grab, Improved Hold; Powers: Growth 2 (innate, permanent)
Wechurge-PL 9: As Elder Wendigo, but add: + 4 INT, +2 AWE; Advantages: Hide in Plain Sight, Power Attack; Skill-Deception 3(+5); Powers: Immunity (interaction skills)
Last edited by greycrusader on Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

greycrusader wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:57 pm The Lone Ranger!

You could could call him 'Hi-Yo Silver'. That's what today's DC comics would do. And ERB's Ungawah, Lord of the Jungle.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

And there's a free supplement for the book of cut content. All Time No Space
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
scc

Post by scc »

I really enjoyed this book. Some really cool characters and some nice rule additions. Thanks for the bonus content as well.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

As promised, a few adventure ideas for stories set in Old Mexico of the Freedomverse Weird Wild West era:

Mexico enjoys renewed independence after overthrowing French rule, and the nation prospers under the Restored Republic government. Tax revenues and foreign capitol drive modernization. Authorities step up the rule of law, sometimes with a heavy hand, but banditry remains a threat. Though stripped of legal powers, the Catholic Church remains a pervasive cultural influence. Fragments of Aztec traditions remain among indigenous people.

The alien Ku-Tu The Eternal lies buried and slumbering among ancient Aztec Ruins; once worshiped as a god by the native peoples, the extraterrestrial despot was overthrown by a band of heroes and placed into a mystic slumber by priests of the actual Aztec gods before the coming of the Europeans. But a small cult of his shape-shifting Jaguar Men survived and remain loyal; along with a spell-casting leader, they guard his "divine relics" (abandoned alien technology) from discovery by surveyors or explorers-through lethal means if necessary. The heroes are alerted to nefarious goings on when a archaeologist and her crew disappear while on a dig, and they are commissioned to investigate. To spice the scenario up further, add a robot guardian of the ruins-disguised as an Aztec mummy! Ku-Tu the Eternal and his followers are found in the Threat Report; for the ersatz mummy, use the Construct archetype from the Hero;s Handbook but reduce it to a PL 7 threat.
And now for a threat taken from a minor classic of early science fiction, W. Grove's A Mexican Mystery; the novel presents the tale of a advanced train engine built by a brilliant but unbalanced engineer/inventor, equipped with an early example of an "artificial brain" (a Babbage-engine computer, but much more advanced). The train engine soon proves destructive and hostile to humans,, and runs amok entirely when its creator is stabbed to death by local peasants who claim he did "The Devil's Work". Opposed by a brave Scottish engineer and the local military detachment, the book's finale sees the "Devil's Engine" seemingly destroyed, but a coda reveals the protagonist believes it actually survived and repaired itself. The malevolent machine would certainly present a wild and unique foe for Wild West heroes in Mexico or the Southwest United States of the time period.

The Devil's Engine (malevolent, self-aware steam locomotive)
Size: Huge Strength: 10 Speed: 5/3 Defense 6 Toughness 11 Extras: Impervious 8
Features: Prehensile mechanical claws equipped w/buzz-saws (2 Extra Limbs 6, Limited to STR 6 for lifting/damage, Improved Critical 2, 18-20), Features 2 (Can move off-track at Spd 3, able to burn any organic matter as fuel), Reach 3 (arms and buzz-saws can extend 15 feet forward), Self-Repair (Regeneration 2, Source: scavenged metal), Steam Blast (Cone Area Damage 8, Indirect 2)

Babbage Device: INT 4 AWE 4 PRE -2; Immunity 40 (Interaction effects, Mental effects), Senses 8 (Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Acute Accurate Radius Mental Sense w/2 ranks Extended, Time Sense)
Advantages: Autopilot (Self-Piloting Vehicle, +12), Eidetic Memory, Speed of Thought (uses INT as base for Initiative rolls)
Skills: Close Combat (Mechanical Arm) 10/+10, Technology 6/+10
Complications: Resents humans for “enslaving” machines, efficiency reduced without sufficient coal or wood, limited communication (horns and wheel clicks).

Offense: Initiative +4
Buzz-Saw +10, Close Damage 6, Slashing, Critical 18-20
Claw: +10, Grab STR 6
Steam Vent: Cone Area Damage 8, Heat
Defenses: Dodge/Parry 6 Fort- Will -Toughness 11
Defenses: Dodge/Parry 6, Fort-, Will -, T
Last edited by greycrusader on Sat May 23, 2020 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

scc wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:03 pm I really enjoyed this book. Some really cool characters and some nice rule additions. Thanks for the bonus content as well.
You're welcome!
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

greycrusader wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:59 am
scc wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:03 pm I really enjoyed this book. Some really cool characters and some nice rule additions. Thanks for the bonus content as well.
You're welcome! I also added a description for my Hardy Trailblazer archetype listed above.
Davies

Post by Davies »

greycrusader wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:58 am
Complications: Resents humans for “enslaving” machines, efficiency reduced without sufficient coal or wood, limited communication (horns and wheel clicks).
Good grief, it's Maximum Overdrive a hundred years before its time.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."