Ronin Army Forums Shut Down For Good

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
kirinke

Re: Ronin Army Forums Shut Down For Good

Post by kirinke »

catsi563 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:43 am annoying lost the 2 of the three chapters of the star Wars game we ran which was great reading thanks to the awesome players we had. and some of the Force Ops and Freedom league we had as well
Dang, that was a good one.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I didn't know the MnM bits of the site were still active. I went on from time to time to out of curiosity, but the MnM section wasn't very active. The expanse forums were fun to read though.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

scc wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:07 am Though I haven't posted things in some time I still like reading my posts and others from way back. So many great posters and so much information provided on a wealth of characters and topics. I am thankful we have this forum though.
Yeah, I definitely miss a lot of the posters. Now I'm REALLY happy I archived a bit of old comments on my current thread, even mentioning some posters by name. Guys I'd long-since forgotten and wondered what they were up to. If I hadn't done that, I'd have forgotten Servitor & MorningKnight forever.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:20 am
scc wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:07 am Though I haven't posted things in some time I still like reading my posts and others from way back. So many great posters and so much information provided on a wealth of characters and topics. I am thankful we have this forum though.
Yeah, I definitely miss a lot of the posters. Now I'm REALLY happy I archived a bit of old comments on my current thread, even mentioning some posters by name. Guys I'd long-since forgotten and wondered what they were up to. If I hadn't done that, I'd have forgotten Servitor & MorningKnight forever.
Yeah, I checked out some of the threads I posted in regularly on the Wayback Machine (once ScotsDragon let it be known a lot of the ATT existed there), and was reminded of how many I used to interact with who left the scene, either before or after the split. I actually tried reaching out to Libra recently, since I know the UK situation is as bad or worse than here in the States. Email address still exists, but I got no response from him.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

lol, well apparently even mentioning WHY BatgirlIII was banned was not cool, because RPG.net permabanned me for "Supporting GamerGate" by repeating what she said to get banned. I was just laughing about how and why she got in trouble, as she was ignorant of GamerGate itself!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

This, of course, is after flippy the wonder mod was bragging about how in the right he was for banning BG3. (And I'm sure he had nothing to do with Jab being banned, after all it wasn't like he was hunting for an excuse to ban him from Ronin Army :roll: )

As a representative of his business, as a working professional, and as a Moderator I would expect certain levels of professionalism. Especially acting as all three.
Cursing and swearing at a poster and threatening them? Was any of that necessary? No. A simple post saying "These boards are for our products, please take any conversations about Gamer Gate to another forums. Any further posts that further mention it will be removed, and said posters will be put on report."
Then there was the censoring, additional threats, the removal of evidence, hunting of posters...

And then years after the fact he's still patting himself on the back for something that shouldn't have been an incident at all.
What should have happened was that the two people in question should have been told to stop arguing in a professional tone. Based on the history from the previous ten years, they would have been grumpy, but it would have been done.

Instead we have the giant split, a lot of hurt feelings, and most of their most loyal and vocal fanbase for M&M walking away and refusing to buy their products.

Yeah, good job flippy. :roll:
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:01 am lol, well apparently even mentioning WHY BatgirlIII was banned was not cool, because RPG.net permabanned me for "Supporting GamerGate" by repeating what she said to get banned. I was just laughing about how and why she got in trouble, as she was ignorant of GamerGate itself!
From what I glimpsed, you probably should have just phrased it better and this whole thing could have been avoided.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:06 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:01 am lol, well apparently even mentioning WHY BatgirlIII was banned was not cool, because RPG.net permabanned me for "Supporting GamerGate" by repeating what she said to get banned. I was just laughing about how and why she got in trouble, as she was ignorant of GamerGate itself!
From what I glimpsed, you probably should have just phrased it better and this whole thing could have been avoided.
If they're willing to jump straight to permaban then no amount of phrasing could have changed their minds save silence or saying the exact opposite.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

kirinke wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:27 pm Well, all I can say is a heartfelt THANK YOU! and virtual hug to Ares for setting up this site for us. It proved to be a wise move with hindsight. ^_^
I'm grateful for everyone that decided to make this place their home. I sincerely made this place so that anyone who couldn't or wouldn't use Green Ronin's sites anymore could still hang out and we could try to keep the overall community together. We've lost some folks since then, but I'm glad most of us made it over here. And I never imagined that this little spot would continue while the Green Ronin boards themselves shut down for good.

So I'm glad several years later, this place is still doing its job: keeping as much of the the original Atomic Think Tank crew together as possible, and welcoming new faces as well.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

That sounds an awful lot like victim blaming.

I've been on the receiving end of bans from RPG.net that I found unreasonable, and this is pretty much the same thing. Jab didn't say a thing in support of Gamer Gate, only adding context to Fildrigar's take on the issue. It's unlikely Jab could have worded the statement in any way so as to not get banned. Because neither Jab nor Batgirl were actually in support of Gamer Gate, and Jab says as much that BG had no idea what Gamer Gate even was.

To my mind, RPG.net has basically shown itself incapable of actually moderating their forums in an unbiased manner. I'm not perfect, I have my own biases, but here I encourage people to discuss their differing opinions in a civil manner, I don't just shut down discussions and ban people for supporting things I don't or for believing in things I don't.

It's why I'm not as active on RPG.net anymore. This place keeps me plenty busy, and I only post on a few threads that catch my attention and that don't have a hint of politics.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Supporting BatgirlIII after she was railroaded by Fridgidaire got me permabanned from RoninArmy, so why not....
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

If they read "Jab supports GamerGate" into that comment, then they WANTED to find it and deliberately chose to take it that way- plain and simple. "Batgirl didn't even know anything about it" is not a support statement of that movement.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:08 am If they read "Jab supports GamerGate" into that comment, then they WANTED to find it and deliberately chose to take it that way- plain and simple. "Batgirl didn't even know anything about it" is not a support statement of that movement.
Yes, but it isn't a statement against that movement either. And therein was your crime: you didn't agree with the thought police. You were trying to allow for a nuanced stance. Shame on you.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

I personally stay out of political threads on a game site. It never leads to anything good in my opinion.I'm too opinionated and my fingers don't always self-censor themselves. It's the main reason why I stay out of the political discussions on this site. :lol:
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

kirinke wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:56 pm I personally stay out of political threads on a game site. It never leads to anything good in my opinion.I'm too opinionated and my fingers don't always self-censor themselves. It's the main reason why I stay out of the political discussions on this site. :lol:
While I want to encourage genuine discussion and debate, I'll admit that your approach is probably overall better. Or at least less hard on one's sanity.