Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:10 pm
Bladewind wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 pm Why do I think the Freedom Rider is possessed by Starro ? ;)
Dude! That’s a Jack Kirby original! Have some respect for the King!

It was an unused sketch for a Captain America costume, which I think would have looked terrible for Cap, but it’s got a great Sixties/Seventies Outlaw Patriot hero vibe to it. I can totally see someone like Evel Knievel wearing it... and Evel (or at least his persona) was very much an influence on Freedom Rider.

It probably is pretty obvious, but I’m basing the majority of the Liberty Club on pop culture archetypes of the 1950s through 1960s: the hippie, the beatnik, the family friendly outlaw biker, the cowboy, and so forth.

(Hey, it worked for Astro City.)
You know,i honestly thought you were taking the Archtypes from the 2e M&M book Silver Age(which i own and think is awesome to steal ideas from....:D ).
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:10 pm Image
Bladewind wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 pm Why do I think the Freedom Rider is possessed by Starro ? ;)
Dude! That’s a Jack Kirby original! Have some respect for the King!

It was an unused sketch for a Captain America costume, which I think would have looked terrible for Cap, but it’s got a great Sixties/Seventies Outlaw Patriot hero vibe to it. I can totally see someone like Evel Knievel wearing it... and Evel (or at least his persona) was very much an influence on Freedom Rider.
The drawing is, judging by Mr. Kirby's evolving style, from sometime after 1970. Was it a potential redesign? Or something he remembered from decades earlier and redrew?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Bladewind wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:16 pm Gotta respect the King, but even he missed sometimes it seems ! :shock: :o :shock:
Well, it was an unused design, so Kirby obviously knew it wasn’t that great. I still like it though, it’s delightfully Silver Age-y with just a few hits of Bronze Age-y-ness, which is kind of the tone I want for this era of Cape City’s history. (I’m struggling to find better descriptors, but you nerds should grok me.)

The era starts with a guy dressing up like a Hollywood Cowboy to fight the fight (after being pushed to do so because of a race riot) and the era comes to a close with him and a bunch of teenagers being murdered in their own homes (and in their “safe” secret identities too). Yes, the parallels to the Zoot Suit Riots, the hippie movement and the Summer of Love, and the Manson Family murders are quite intentional.
Ken wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:41 pm The drawing is, judging by Mr. Kirby's evolving style, from sometime after 1970. Was it a potential redesign? Or something he remembered from decades earlier and redrew?
I have no clue, I just found it on Google Image Search.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Bladewind wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:16 pm Gotta respect the King, but even he missed sometimes it seems ! :shock: :o :shock:
Well, it was an unused design, so Kirby obviously knew it wasn’t that great. I still like it though, it’s delightfully Silver Age-y with just a few hits of Bronze Age-y-ness, which is kind of the tone I want for this era of Cape City’s history. (I’m struggling to find better descriptors, but you nerds should grok me.)

The era starts with a guy dressing up like a Hollywood Cowboy to fight the fight (after being pushed to do so because of a race riot) and the era comes to a close with him and a bunch of teenagers being murdered in their own homes (and in their “safe” secret identities too). Yes, the parallels to the Zoot Suit Riots, the hippie movement and the Summer of Love, and the Manson Family murders are quite intentional.
Ken wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:41 pm The drawing is, judging by Mr. Kirby's evolving style, from sometime after 1970. Was it a potential redesign? Or something he remembered from decades earlier and redrew?
I have no clue, I just found it on Google Image Search.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I'm just gonna sit back and wait (no matter how long it takes) for Starro to conquer Cape City.

And in the meantime, I'll enjoy the epic twists and turns that you present in your builds and backgrounds. :D
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Ken

Post by Ken »

According to this site says the drawing is from 1968.

And that exact image (except for a recolour) was used as the cover image when the design was used as Topps Comics' "Captain Glory".

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Wow. It looks so much better in red, white, and blue.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

HUSTLER
Cape City Character
Power Level 8 ( 120 PP )

Muhammad Ali wrote:Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them — a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.
ABILITIES
Strength 3 (6; Lifting: 8)
Stamina 3 (6)
Agility 3
Dexterity 3
Fighting 4
Intellect 3
Awareness 2
Presence 4

SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 7 (+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 6 (+10), Expertise [Boxing] 5 (+8), Expertise [Chemistry] 2 (+5), Intimidation 4 (+8), Perception 6 (+8), Persuasion 8 (+12), Treatment 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
All-Out Attack, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (1), Improved Critical [Unarmed] (1), Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Takedown (1)

POWERS
"Time to Hustle!" (31 Base; F: Activation [Move, —1]) [ 30 PP Total ][/b]
Faster Enhanced Ability 3 (+3 Agility); Enhanced Defense 3 (+3 Parry); Speed 2 (8 MPH) [ 11 PP ]
Higher Enhanced Ability 3 (+3 Stamina); Leaping 3 (60') [ 9 PP ]
Stronger Enhanced Ability 6 (+6 Strength; F: Limited to Lifting [Three Ranks]); Enhanced Advantages 2 (Improved Hold, Improved Smash) [ 11 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (6/9) Base 3
Parry: (6/9) Base 2
Fortitude: (6/9) Base 3
Toughness: (3/6/7) ——
Will: (7) Base 4

WORKSHEET
Attack: 10 Effect: 3/6 Total: 13/16 (Unarmed)
Dodge: 6/9 Tough: 3/6/7 Total: 9/12/16
Parry: 6/9 Tough: 3/6/7 Total: 9/12/16
Fort: 6/9 Will: 7 Total: 13/13

ABILITIES [ 50 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 21 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 7 pp ] +
POWERS [ 30 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 12 pp ] =
120 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Power Loss (Twelve Rounds of Hustle): Once Hustler activates his powers, they last exactly thirty-six minutes, and no more. In addition, Lou can’t reactivate them until an hour after his powers fade.
Quirk (The Simple Things): Hustler isn’t known for complex tactics or subtle plans: years of experience have taught him most problems actually can be solved with his fists.

Education: Some High School
Date of Birth: January 17, 1942 (Age 27)
Base of Operations: Cape City, NJ
Height: 6'3" (1.91 m)
Weight: 200 lbs. (90.7 kg)
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Religion: Baptist
Relationships: Rose Barrow (wife), Louis Barrow, Jr. (son)
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.

Background:
Lou Barrow was an rapidly rising star of the heavyweight boxing world, who refused to throw a fight despite intense pressure from Alfredo "The Bishop" Bianchi, a capo in the notorious Cape City mafia. Bianchi had Lou drugged with an experimental steroid stolen from Lantern Labs, hoping to get the boxer disqualified for cheating. Instead, the drug reacted strangely and sent Barrow into a berserk rage during a training session... During which he nearly killed his training partner and coach. Only the calming words of his girlfriend, Rose, was able to snap him back to normal.

His professional career was over, Lou wasn't willing to risk losing control in the ring. But he was a beloved figure in the neighborhood as the "Could-A-Been Kid." He opened his own gym, training others and continuing to hone his strange new powers. Soon enough, he was inspired by stories of Sundown to put on a colorful costume and adopt a heroic persona of his own.

In the summer of 1969, Lou Barrow was found dead in his backyard, having just finished building a swing-set for his five year old son. He was 27 years old.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

As a Boxing fan(a LOT of my "street heroes" tend to have the Style),i really like how you gave him such an intresting power set....
Would jr. be concidered a mutant Hero (since he was 5 when dad died,that'd place him in his mid-late 40's.Plenty of time to be one...)?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:10 pm Would jr. be concidered a mutant Hero (since he was 5 when dad died,that'd place him in his mid-late 40's.Plenty of time to be one...)?
I don’t know. Sounds like a good story-hook for a legacy hero.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:29 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:10 pm Would jr. be concidered a mutant Hero (since he was 5 when dad died,that'd place him in his mid-late 40's.Plenty of time to be one...)?
I don’t know. Sounds like a good story-hook for a legacy hero.
And this is why i wanted you to run a Cape City game,as there's SO many legacies that Could be done.....
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:07 am Image
HUSTLER

His professional career was over, Lou wasn't willing to risk losing control in the ring. But he was a beloved figure in the neighborhood as the "Could-A-Been Kid." He opened his own gym, training others and continuing to hone his strange new powers. Soon enough, he was inspired by stories of Sundown to put on a colorful costume and adopt a heroic persona of his own.

In the summer of 1969, Lou Barrow was found dead in his backyard, having just finished building a swing-set for his five year old son. He was 27 years old.
1) Did he ever save the life of a record producer/music arranger named Van McCoy? Who may have decided to honor the hero five or six years after the hero's death.

2) Barrow's sense of fashion was at least half a decade ahead of the curve.

3) With a name like Hustler, I expected some playboy living in a penthouse. You know, the high society type, hangs out at his club, living a swank lifestyle.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

< gives standing Ovation to ken for the entir above post> :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:29 am Wow. It looks so much better in red, white, and blue.
Agreed. That one looks even more Starro possessed !

*ducks*
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Batgirl III

Vesper

Post by Batgirl III »

VESPER
Cape City Character
Power Level 8 ( 200 PP )

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War,' Chp. VI wrote:微乎微乎,至于无形;神乎神乎,至于无声;故能为敌之司命。
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 4
Agility 6
Dexterity 6
Fighting 10
Intellect 5
Awareness 5
Presence 5

SKILLS
Acrobatics 9 (+15), Athletics 8 (+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+12), Deception 5 (+10), Expertise [Criminology] 13 (+18), Expertise [Streetwise] 13 (+18), Insight 10 (+15), Intimidation 10 (+15), Investigation 5 (+10), Perception 5 (+10), Persuasion 3 (+8), Stealth 12 (+18), Slight of Hand 4 (+10), Technology 3 (+8), Treatment 5 (+10), Vehicles 3 (+8)

ADVANTAGES
Assessment, Benefit [Wealth (3)], Connected, Contacts, Daze [Intimidation], Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (12), Evasion (1), Hide in Plain Sight, Improvised Tools, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages (3), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack (6), Redirect, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown (1), Trance, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

POWERS
Master of Martial Arts Damage 2 (Strength-based; E: Split [1], Variable Descriptor [Slashing, Bludgeoning, or Piercing]) [ 4 PP ]
AE: One Perfect Strike Damage 2 (Strength-based; E: Ranged [Perception]; E: Limited to Reach, Tiring) [ 1 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 60 EP )
Binoculars [ 1 EP ]
Commlink [ 1 EP ]
Handcuffs [ 1 EP ]
Kunai (Thrown) Damage 2 (Strength-based; E: Ranged) [ 6 EP ]
AE: Kunai (Melee) Damage 2 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [2]) [ 1 EP ]
Rebreather Immunity 2 (Suffocation) [ 2 EP ]
Starlight Lenses Senses 2 (Visual: Ultra-Vision [2]) [ 2 EP ]
UV Flashlight [ 1 EP ]
Vespercycle, Custom Harley-Davidson Vehicle [ 25 EP ]

The Catacombs Headquarters [ 20 EP Total ]
Size: Large (2 EP) / Colossal [Grounds]
Toughness: 10 (2 EP)
Features: Communications (1 EP), Computer (1 EP), Concealed (DC +10; 1 EP), Defense System (1 EP), Garage (1 EP), Grounds (1 EP), Gym (1 EP), Fire Prevention System (1 EP), Infirmary (1 EP), Laboratory (1 EP), Library (1 EP), Living Space (1 EP), Personnel (1 EP), Power System (1 EP), Security System (1 EP), Workshop (1 EP)

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 4
Parry: (10) Base 0
Fortitude: (8) Base 4
Toughness: (4/6) ——
Will: (8) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack: 12 Effect: 4 Total: 16 (Master of Martial Arts)
Attack: 12 Effect: 4 Total: 16 (One Perfect Strike)
Attack: 12 Effect: 4 Total: 16 (Kunai, Thrown)
Attack: 10 Effect: 4 Total: 14 (Kunai, Melee)
Dodge: 10 Tough: 4/6 Total: 14/16
Parry: 10 Tough: 4/6 Total: 14/16
Fort: 8 Will: 8 Total: 16

ABILITIES [ 86 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 55 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 43 pp ] +
POWERS [ 5 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 11 pp ] =
200 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Twilight Years: Xiu Ying Moon may be one of the most skilled martial artists on the planet and keeps herself in peak physical health... But, she's pushing ninety. Vesper's "present day" physical Ability Scores are all lower than when she was in her prime. In the "modern day" reduce Vesper to STR 0, STA 2, AGI 6, DEX 5
Relationships: George Strike, Sundown, was the love of her life. She is equally devoted to her young daughter, Susan Striker, Eventide.
Responsibility: Vesper felt a strong sense of responsibility to atone for her father's misdeeds.
Secret Identity: Xiu Ying Moon, former mousy housewife and now unassuming little old lady.

Education: Non-Applicable
Date of Birth: Date Unknown, 1930 (Age 88)
Base of Operations: Cape City, NJ
Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
Weight: 101 lbs. (46 kg)
Measurments: ‎34-26-36
Eyes: Black
Hair: Black
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Religion: Baptist
Relationships: George W. Striker (Husband), Susan Qing Striker (Daughter)
Legal Status: Naturalized Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.
Sun Tzu 'The Art of War,' Chp. VI wrote:Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
Background:
Xiu Ying Moon is the daughter of the criminal mastermind known as Eclipser. Eclipser controls an organized crime syndicate centered in China - The Eclipse Society — that spans most of Asia. The Second World War dealt a great blow to the Eclipse Society. A new tide of nationalism swept Asia, the European colonizers withdrew, and dozens of new national governments sprang up like mushrooms after the rain. As Dr. Moon's empire slowly reorganized, it was forced to do so largely on its own: their immortal leader was distracted by a personal vendetta.

Vesper and Sundown returned to Cape City, where they had established a successor team to the WWII era Liberty Alliance, known as the Liberty Club. This era ended in a bloody tragedy that came to be known as "Twilight of the Superheroes." Sundown was murdered in his own Wayne Heights home by Eclipser. The first of a series of murders targeting the Liberty Club in their civilian identities. Eclipser would go on to murder five of the seven members of the Liberty Club, with only Golem and Vesper escaping the massacre.

Vesper travelled to the seat of her father's empire, deep in the Gobi Desert, challenging him to a duel to the death. Again, the evil overlord fell, but he cheated death as he had so many times before.

In the 1970s and 1980s, he rebuilt his criminal empire from the shadows and continued to plot vengeance against his own daughter and her child by his greatest foe. In 1984 Eclipser attempted to kidnap his granddaughter, but Vesper and the Golem came to rescue her. But not before Eclipser had begun his process of tinkering with the young girl's DNA, the source of her new metahuman abilities.

Eventually, the girl would join her mother's crime-fighting crusade, the Vesper and Eventide continue their shadow war with the Eclipse Society even today.

Xiu Ying Moon is nearly ninety years old, she rarely operates in the field as a hero anymore, instead she asks as an advisor and consultant to her daughter and her old allies in the Liberty Alliance. However, woebetide anyone who thinks that age has robbed Xiu Ying of her skills.
Vespercycle
Custom Harley-Davidson V-Rod Punisher
Equipment Rank 5 ( 25 EP )

VEHICLE TRAITS
Size: Medium [ 0 EP ]
Strength: 1 [ 1 EP ]
Speed: 6 [ 6 EP ]
Defense: 10 [ 10 EP ]
Toughness: 8 [ 3 EP ]
Feature: Alarm, Caltrops, Navigation System [ 3 EP ]
Power: Concealment 1 (Normal Auditory) [ 2 PP ]