WAIFU WARZ - MISC. BUILDS - THE INCREADIBLE (NON)SHRINKING MAN

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: WAIFU WARZ - RE:ARCHETYPE - THE MAGICAL GIRL "BEFRIENDS" THE OPPOSITION

Post by Woodclaw »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:11 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:14 pm I swear I'm reading these, but there's SO MUCH TEXT that I keep getting ADD and forgetting to finish a paragraph and then I do some of my own builds and have to re-check from the beginning again, lol.

I remember the Big Eyes Small Mouth RPG detailing the origins of the Magical Girl genre, and even emphasizing how early on the cliche was for the girl to die saving people at the end of the series- something that was reflected in Sailor Moon's first season ending. And it also mentioned that SM was the combination of Magical Girls with Sentai, turning it into a action show.

Magic Knight Rayearth is one I've always been interested in, but it's had zero effect and impact on the West. It's too bad, because it's a close contemporary of my beloved Sailor Moon, and the show's director invented Rayearth.

Pretty Cure is apparently MASSIVELY popular in Japan, and said to be bigger than Sailor Moon ever was, though SM's pop culture influence has spread all over the world in a way that Precure's hasn't.

This also reminds me of just how little anime I've actually seen, as the local video stores (when they still existed) typically only had the Shonen stuff and the respected movies, and so I've barely even HEARD of stuff like Modoka and Precure, knowing them only by name, and being unable to even recognize their art styles.
Yeah, sorry for the size. I am a large fan of Magical Girl anime, mostly the shounen and deconstruction ones, and sort of overloaded this with trivia in the notes. Its just that to me it seems that Magical Girls as a concept has reached a point of cultural osmosis where a lot of people know of it but have never actually seen it but still judge it based on their incomplete mental image. Basically the first thing a person who doesn't watch anime thinks of when they hear "Magical Girl" is a girl in sailor moon cosplay doing a glittery strip tease on screen then attacking tentacle monsters, their chance of victory depending on the age rating of the show which to me feels like judging western animation based on old episodes of scoobie doo.

I haven't played Big Eyes Small Mouth, but it sounds interesting. I have seen Magical Girl specific tabletop rpg called Magical Burst which is basically Madoka Magica the Table Top RPG. There's also a 3D fighter called Magical Battle Arena which is "Super Robot Wars but With Magical Girls", I tried a couple of the games on steam but they tended to suck which is sad.

I'm kind of surprised you haven't been able to find Madoka, the show was popular enough in the west to see limited theater releases for it's movie. Best scene is Mami vs Homura, which the girl who's power is ribbons and uses flintlock muskets fights magical girl version Dio Brando who has more guns than the love child of The Punisher and Deadpool. But yeah, the series should be in any video store with even a semi-decent anime collection, hell I've seen it sold more often than the Evangelion rebuild movies. If nothing else it's on Netflix.
The trick is that the entire concept of Magical Girl is inherently flexible and very easy to adapt. Hell, I've seen people classifying even Mary Marvel as a magical girl kind of character.
Rayheart got a bit of a fanbase in Europe, but it's mostly linked to the general CLAMP fanbase. In Italy the cartoon got extremely famous for the atrocious adaptation that changed the title to Una Porta Socchiusa ai Confini del Sole (A Half-Closed Door at the Border of the Sun), which doesn't make any sense, and censored all the deaths.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
NineOfSpades

Post by NineOfSpades »

I don't really have anything substantial to add, I just felt compelled to comment that since stumbling across this thread, you've become my absolute favorite builders for M&M, and I absolutely love the rebuilt archetypes you've made so far. Thanks for putting together such fantastic and flavorful characters!
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - RE:ARCHETYPE - The Speedster (PL10)

Post by squirrelly-sama »

"It's a curse really, I always have the time to come up with the perfect one-liner but by the time they can hear it they're already unconscious."

The Speedster - PL 10
Sex: Female
Height: 5'4" | Weight: 98 | Hair: Red | Eyes: Green
Role: The Goofball, the Affable One, The Heart, The Underdog

Waifu Stats
Division - Lower Welter Weight
Series - None (Archetype)
Focus - Melee, Hit and Run, Scout, Area Control
Waifu Typing - Genki, Nerdy

Strength 0, Stamina 4, Agility 6/4, Dexterity 1, Fighting 6/4, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Move-by Action, Redirect, Set-up, Takedown 2, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+8), Athletics 5 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+7), Deception 3 (+5), Insight 3 (+5), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+4), Ranged Combat: Throw 6 (+7)

Powers
Speed Features: Feature 5
[b wrote:Speed Feature Options[/b]]
  • Air Break: Movement 1 (Safe Fall; Platform)
  • Decoy: Feature 1 (Notes: Facinate using Speed Ranks)
  • Distract: Feature 1 (Notes: When fainting the Vulnerable and Defenseless penalties will instead apply to the opponents accuracy, acing as Impaired and Disabled applied to their attack checks.)
  • Flawless Dodge: Feature 1 (Notes: Natural 20s will not auto hit you.)
  • Inertia Resistant: Immunity 2 (Uncommon Descriptor: Own Slam Damage; Limited - Half Effect)
  • Quick Reflexes: Senses 1 (Danger Sense: Vision)
  • Run on Water: Movement 1 (Water Walking 1: you sink if you are prone; Platform)
  • Run Up Walls: Movement 1 (Wall-crawling 1: -1 speed rank; Limited: One Move Action, Limited: While Moving)
  • Running Leap: Feature 1 (Notes: Add Leaping as an Alternate Effect of Speed)
  • Soft Step: Feature 1 (Notes: You are hard to see while moving. Otherw sill have to make a perception check vs DC10+speed in order to perceive you during motion.)
  • Speed Tricks: Feature 1 (Notes: Purchase an Alternate Effect for Quick Attack)
  • Swift Escape: Feature 1 (Notes: Succeeding the dodge save of an area affect attack by 2 or more degrees completely negates all damage provided the user has movement ranks to leave area.)
  • Swift Hands (Subtle: subtle, Notes: Applies subtle to strength effects)
  • Turn On A Dime: Feature 1 (Notes: Add Precise to speed.)

Speedster
. . Defensive Roll: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness; Sustained)
. . Evasion: Enhanced Trait 21 (Traits: Dodge +2 (+12), Parry +2 (+12), Fighting +2 (+6), Agility +2 (+6), Advantages: Agile Feint, Evasion 2, Improved Initiative 2, Move-by Action, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge)
. . Quick Attack: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 20; Accurate 4: +8, Improved Critical, Multiattack)
. . Super Speed: Speed 10 (Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round)
Optional - 10pp each wrote:Module - Backgrounds
. . Affable: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Presence +2 (+4), Persuasion +4 (+8), Deception +4 (+9), Advantages: Fascinate (Deception), Teamwork)
. . Animal Speed (Advantages: All-out Attack, Animal Empathy, Favored Environment: Choose Environment, Improved Critical)
. . . . Movement: Movement 1 (Slithering)
. . . . Senses: Senses 4 (Acute: Smell, Danger Sense: Hearing, Low-light Vision, Ultra-hearing)
. . Energy Channeler
. . . . Recharge: Regeneration 10 (Every 1 round; Source: Own Energy Descriptor)
. . . . Reistance: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Own Energy Descriptor; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Racer
. . . . Racer: Enhanced Trait 6 (Traits: Expertise +5 (+5), Vehicles +7 (+8))
. . . . Summon Vehicle: Summon 2 (Controlled; Self-Powered)
. . Scientist: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Technology +6 (+8), Expertise: Science +6 (+8), Intellect +2 (+2))
. . Scout
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Investigation +8 (+8), Perception +4 (+8), Advantages: Skill Mastery, Tracking)
. . . . Quickness: Quickness 6 (Perform routine tasks in -6 time ranks; Limited to One Task: Search Area)
. . Shinobi (Advantages: Favored Environment: Shadows, Hide in Plain Sight)
. . . . Expertise Shinobi: Enhanced Trait 6 (Traits: Acrobatics +2 (+10), Expertise: Ninja +6 (+6), Stealth +4 (+10))
. . . . Leave No Trace: Movement 1 (Trackless: Tactile 1)
. . Speed Force: Variable 1 (Action 3: reaction, Increased Duration: continuous; Uncontrolled)
. . Temporal Tourist (Advantages: Favored Foe: Well known future historical figures, Well-informed)
. . . . Chronoport: Movement 3 (Time Travel 3: any time, 50 lbs.)
. . . . Knowledge of Future History: Senses 4 (Precognition; Check Required 2: DC 11 - Memory)
Optional - 10pp each wrote:Module - Greater Speed Powers
. . Brute Force Solution: Nullify 5 (Counters: Effects that can be overcome by repeated attempts, DC 15; Broad, Feature: Can be linked to Quick Attack, Multiattack; Activation: move action, Reduced Range: close)
. . Dodging Death: Immortality 20 (Return after 3 seconds; Limited: Does not recover injuries other than killing injury, Tiring)
. . Greater Mobility: Feature 10 (Notes: Replace speed with either Flight or Teleport or purchase 10 ranks of leaping.)
. . Interpose Object: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Feature: Hidden until interacted with, Innate, Subtle: look natural; Activation: move action, Diminished Range 2, Limited: Dependant on Objects in Area, Permanent)
. . Quick Change: Morph 3 (Removable, +20 Deception checks to disguise; Broad group; Activation 2: standard action, Notes: Disguise self to look like similar people.)
. . Quick Learner: Variable 1 (skills, Advantages: Improvised Tools; Action 2: free, Notes: Quickly pick up most skills and some skill based powers.)
. . Return to Sender: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Physical Projectiles; Reflect; Limited: Reflect, Notes: This immunity only activates on successful dodge save rather than when struck.)
. . Sidestep: Teleport 2 (120 feet in a move action, carrying 50 lbs.; Reaction 3: reaction, Selective; Limited: Must be able to physically move to location)
. . Vibro-Strike: Weaken 5 (Affects: Toughness, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 15; Affects Objects Only, Multiattack, Notes: Linked Quick Attack)
. . Whiplash: Affliction 5 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 15; Multiattack, Notes: Linked to Quick Attack)
Optional - 5pp each wrote:Module - Lesser Speed Powers (Free device, Removable)
. . After Images: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Feature: Creates illusionary duplicates; Limited: Evasion bonuses)
. . Blitz (Custom: Add Selective, Secondary Effect, Penetrating, or Ranged, Notes: Add a +1 extra to Quick Attack)
. . Buffeting Winds: Environment 2 (Impede Movement (2 ranks), Visibility (-2), Radius: 60 feet, Advantages: Favored Environment: Maelstrom; Activation 2: standard action)
. . Don't Blink: Concealment 2 (Sense - Sight; Subtle: subtle)
. . Fast Recovery: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)
. . Living in high gear: Quickness 5 (Perform routine tasks in -5 time ranks)
. . Momentum Lifting: Enhanced Strength 5 (+5 STR; Limited to Lifting)
. . Near Miss: Healing 6 (Subtle: subtle, Triggered: 1 use - Being struck; Limited: Self, Limited: Only Damage received by trigger)
. . Outrun The Explosion: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Area of Effect; Limited: Requires successful dodge check)
. . Outspeed: Immunity 5 (Custom: Slowing Effects 5)
. . Speed up Metabolism: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Fortitude +8 (+12); Activation 2: standard action, Quirk: Does not affect rolls for suffocation, starvation, thirst, or resisting certain environments)
Array and Power Stunt Options wrote:Module - Quick Attack Array Options 15pp or less
. . After Image: Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal; Concentration, Quirk: Not against surprise attacks)
. . Ambush: Affliction 8 (1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless, DC 18; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Increased Range 2: perception, Indirect 4: any point, any direction, Subtle: subtle, Triggered 2: 2 uses - Variable Trigger; Instant Recovery, Limited Degree)
. . Assemble: Transform 5 (Affects: Broad > Broad - Materials into Finished Product, Transforms: 25 lbs., DC 15; Uncontrolled)
. . Dervish: Damage 5 (DC 20; Reaction 3: reaction; Limited: Requires Standard Action to Maintain)
. . Disassemble: Transform 5 (Affects: Broad > 1 Thing - Object into component parts, Transforms: 25 lbs., DC 15)
. . Distraction (10pp): Perception Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Perception Area: DC 20 - Sight, Selective; Instant Recovery, Limited Degree)
. . Flicker Off: Nullify 5 (Counters: Effects that can be nullified by moving them forward or backwards in time, DC 15; Broad, Multiattack, Simultaneous; Reduced Range: close)
. . Flurry of Blows: Burst Area Damage 5 (DC 20; Accurate 4 (+8), Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 15)
. . Kansas City Shuffle: Burst Area Teleport Attack 5 (900 feet in a move action, carrying 50 lbs., DC 15; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 15, Attack: Dodge, Precise, Selective; Activation: move action, Tiring)
. . Quick Build: Create 7 (Volume: 125 cft., DC 17; Increased Duration: continuous, Innate, Precise, Subtle: look natural; Activation: move action, Quirk: Cannot Dismiss Object, Source: Required Materials)
. . Rewind: Healing 15 (Restorative; Limited: Self, Limited: Only injuries obtained since last turn.)
. . Scout: Remote Sensing 8 (Affects: 3 Types, inc. Visual - Vision, Tactile, Smell, Range: 1 mile; Activation: move action, Concentration, Feedback)
. . Shockwave Punch: Damage 5 (DC 20; Accurate 7: +14, Increased Range: ranged; Diminished Range 2)
. . Shockwave: Line Area Move Object 8 (6 tons; Line Area 2: 5 feet wide by 60 feet long, DC 18; Activation: move action, Limited Direction: Blowing Away, Reduced Range: close)
. . Tie Up: Move Object 5 (1600 lbs.; Increased Duration: continuous, Increased Range: perception; Limited: Grabbing and holding)
. . Yoink!: Teleport Attack 5 (900 feet in a move action, carrying 50 lbs., DC 15; Accurate 4 (+8)Attack: Dodge, Multiattack, Precise; Limited to Objects
Offense
Initiative +14
Ambush: Affliction 8 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 18)
Assemble: Transform 5, +6 (DC Dog 15)
Brute Force Solution: Nullify 5, +15 (DC Will 15)
Dervish: Damage 5 (DC 20)
Disassemble: Transform 5, +6 (DC Dog 15)
Distraction (10pp): Perception Area Affliction 10 (DC Will 20)
Flicker Off: Nullify 5, +15 (DC Will 15)
Flurry of Blows: Burst Area Damage 5 (DC 20)
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 10)
Kansas City Shuffle: Burst Area Teleport Attack 5 (DC Dog 15)
Quick Attack: Strength-based Damage 5, +15 (DC 20)
Shockwave Punch: Damage 5, +15 (DC 20)
Shockwave: Line Area Move Object 8 (DC 18)
Throw, +7 (DC 15)
Tie Up: Move Object 5 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 15)
Vibro-Strike: Weaken 5, +15 (DC Fort 15)
Whiplash: Affliction 5, +15 (DC Fort 15)
Yoink!: Teleport Attack 5, +15 (DC Dog 15)

Complications
Power Loss - Mobility: The Speedster often needs either free movement or a wide area to be able to fight at their best. Hindering them or rendering them immobile may render them powerless.
Reputation - Goofball: Speedsters are often the most sociable and fun loving of the heroes. As a result they are often seen as the weakest or most immature.
Weakness - High Metabolism: Such high speed often comes at the cost of an equally high caloric requirement. Speedsters often eat many times the amount a normal person does and may even quickly become fatigued due to a lack sustenance.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 12/10, Parry 12/10, Fortitude 4, Toughness 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 55 + Advantages 5 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 120

Notes:
The Speedster archetype, a new and improved take on the pre-made character provided by the free source book.
Examples in fiction: The Flash from DC Comics, Ruby Rose from RWBY, Tracer from Overwatch, Homura Akemi from Madoka

The premier hero for mobility, agility, and anyone who just wants to go fast. The Speedster is one of the classic hero types, like the Power House it's a rather straightforward concept to grasp. Where the Powerhouse is excels in strength the Speedster excels in mobility. Quick, Agile, and often a greater focus on accuracy (or just saturation) over power the two function as opposites in many ways. While often characterized by a high running speed a Speedster can have different primary mobility power provided it's also at a high rank. Flying Speedsters are common, Teleporters are also a popular choice. Speedsters are also not limited to just their speed either, as the Speedster often dual classes with other archetypes with the most prominent being Energy Controllers and the Battle Suit.

Speedster with their quickness are often rather energetic, and thus, quite happy, affable, and friendly. They're the jokesters, goofballs, and often the "heart" of the team even more so than Paragons. They're more relatable nature often has them act as the humanizing part in a Hero team, giving a more reasonable and relatable perspective on dramatic and unbelievable events. This silly nature paired with their usual lack of destructive power and relative fragility tends to have the Speedster seen as weaker than they actually are. It's in such events that the Speedster tends to pull off their greatest moments, leveraging their speed in creative ways to pull off astounding upsets and punch well above normal weight-class or pull off otherwise impossible tasks.

Customization:
The Speedster Archetype has most of it's core requirements already met by default. Defense and offensive caps are met with 5 points of features to provide some support skills. There is 30pp of customization that's available with free reign over what can be purchased without harming the build. As speedsters often dual class there's no requirement to stick to the provided Greater and Lesser powers or the Backgrounds, powers and modules could be purchased from other archetypes to attempt to build a speedster version of them.

Customizing a Speedster is usually relatively simple, placing speed feats or additional powers onto the build as the core build itself is generalized enough to work with most things without complicated tweaking. Likewise several aspects of the Speedster build are fairly optional, the high ranks of speed may not be needed for example and some can be traded to put more points in other aspects or else placed into an array where "Top Speed" can be swapped out for "Cruising Speed" and some additional traits. Similarly a few ranks of Speed can be given flaws like Distracting or Tiring to allow a higher top speed (if lower normal speed) for really impressive distances to be covered. Speed Feats can be placed on some ranks of Speed in order to accomplish this.

Due to all the Speedsters powers being sustained at most Arrays can be built off any of them, though it is not always recommended to use core defensive traits such as Dodge, Parry, and protection in an array due to the risks involved. Such should be saved for Power stunts, if at all, and should only be traded off in small amounts or when relatively safe. But the points are available to use should the situation ever require it.

Several comon themes found in Speedsters are represented in the Backgrounds. Affable boosts their interaction ability, representing the usual trend of Speedsters often being a bit charming and lovable or roguish and guile. Animal Speed is for those speedsters who's agility is the domain of the specific animal they channel, Hares, Gazelle, Hawks, big cats, and sometimes snakes can fall into this category though the general assumption is some form of mammal. Energy controller is not a requirement for those who want to make an Energy Controller version of a speedster, but more a simple representation for one that's more Speedster than Controller, just being a more minor secondary power compared to a perhaps a blast AE and their charged speed. The usual Energy that is taken are Wind or Electricity which are usually seen as the quickest, though light and shadows are not uncommon.

Racing is an odd background for the Speedster in terms of Game mechanics, as it grants very little benefit on it's own. Some speedsters simply just often have a side job involved in some for of piloting or driving in their downtime making the benefits of this more cosmetic than mechanical. However some steps could be taken to lessen the costs of it, lowering speed such that a summoned Vehicle can grant a highter top speed could help. The Racer may also be a device user, allowing the powers to gain the Removable flaw granting 11 pp (10pp if speed is lowered to 5 which is recommended) if all powers are made Removable and thus completely paying for this background.

The Scientist is another career background that doesn't off much mechanical benefit. Some Speedsters simply have greater intelligence and gained their powers through some invention or experiment of theirs. The bonuses provided are not bad but do not synergize too well with the core aspects of the Speedster, being more of a "Just in case" benefit than something actively used. Like the Racer the Scientist could make their powers removable
in order to pay off the cost of this Background. In such a case Inventor is recommended, both as a way to provide more use to the moderate Technology skill but also as an explanation of where their Speed Suit originated from.

Scout and Shinobi both focus on adding options to the Speedster's gameplay style. The Scout being a tracker and investigator, they are able to provide some invaluable information for teams, even with dedicated investigators as they can quickly gather and locate evidence for a the more skilled investigator. Shinobi help them succeed with a different combat style, being more stealthy and capable in espionage.

Speed Force is a niche background, it represents the more absurd Speedsters who seem to regularly pull out weird tricks or abilities fairly often with often nebulous explanations on how speed can be used to achieve the affect. Fazing through solid matter, running through time, avoiding getting wet by dodging rain drops in the middle of a storm, etc. This is uncontrollable, in the hands of the GM to allow or disallow any minor ability or feature or for them to use it as a plot hook as they please. In the hands of the player it mostly serves to provide small niche features that often amount to little more than aesthetics or minor conveniences while the GM can quickly overrule anything too upsetting or powerful. In the hands of the GM it could be used to give the PC a needed feature or immunity to keep a story on track if things go wrong or as a means of starting a new plot as it spontaneously adds a new power like time travel.

Temporal Tourist is for the time manipulators, a specific breed of Speedster that isn't isn't actually fast but uses Time manipulation to make it appear so. this is often paired with alternate effects on speed or Quick Attack to represent their time powers, such as setting up an Ambush or moving objects while time is stopped.

Gameplay:
Speedsters are another pseudo-support class. They're defense and accuracy focus means they don't function as well in a frontline position as other classes. Instead they usually offer some form of tactical advantage in the middle of a fight, ensuring some foes don't run off, providing combat assistance to frontline fighters, or accomplishing important but time consuming tasks while the group acts as a shield.

Depending on the build the Speedster can function better in combat or out of it, but still tends to be more support to more dedicated builds. A Utility speedster often focuses on non-standard combat, things like social manipulation or situational obstacles like tech or investigations. A Combat speedster focuses on riskier but more rewarding combat maneouvers such as all out attack.

For role play, the Speedster is suited to those more naturally charismatic or who want to play such a character. Their silly nature and goofball attitude necessitates a player be willing to allow their character to lose face or become the butt of a joke, as a the Speedster doesn't take themselves too seriously and are more than able to laugh at themselves.

Build Notes:
Another... Not terrible build for the original archetypes. Underwhelming but functional. Other than being very far on the wrong side of the PL Shift on both ends, a system flaw more than something wrong with the build itself, there's no major issues. That and the fact it couldn't actually afford to hit the PL cap even on a max Accuracy offense. Yeah, multi attack will really help there, just get 3 degrees of success on a hit for 10 ranks of damage! I mean, it's not like you could spend the same amount of points to just buy 5 more ranks of damage to always get 10 damage anyway or anything. Digressing, just a bit of optimization and rearranging to provide a bit of customization options was really all that was needed to improve this build.

A few things needed to be shifted a bit to fit the new PP cap to allow customization, the biggest offender being Defense shifting. God, I hate how defense and Accuracy are separated into different ranges. It makes Defense cost twice as much as toughness for about half the effectiveness and how I need to buy extra ranks of accuracy just to be able to throw a knife even if the character has ludicrous knife fighting skills. It's just, UGH, those two factors are the reason why a lot of builds are just terrible to play because that design decision screws them over in both points and effectiveness. I don't know what Batman and The Flash did to the Green Ronin team between 2e and 3e but it really pissed them off.

First thing was adding the requirements to make the build a speedster, even before trying to go for PL Caps, a defense shift and high speed. I cut off quickness as unneeded to capture the essence of a speedster in general rather than just a specific type. Defenses were lowered a bit, this was both a point save and a means to make them less likely to fold like a soggy noodle the moment anything is able to land a hit. Speed was cut down to just 10 ranks which I felt was appropriately stupidly fast without having to spend too much on the diminishing returns of movement powers. Sure it's an exponential increase in distance covered but after about 5 ranks it usually doesn't offer much since you're unlikely to ever need to use all those ranks of speed. Hilariously the original Speedster doesn't have agile feint to even attempt to justify such stupidly high ranks of speed. Seriously she could circle the earth in about 20 minutes.

The rest of the core build was mostly just determining what fluff really fit and needed to stay or be added. I swapped out defensive roll the advantage for Defensive Roll the power because in Green Ronin's revenge quest against Batman and Flash for whatever happened that one fateful summer they decided to make Defensive Roll the advantage one of the worst advantages possible. With someone already defense shifted and with sustained protection it kinda felt like I'd be kicking a man while they were down to make that defensive roll while I was at it. Disappears while stunned and disappears while vulnerable all at the low low price of exactly the same price of toughness that doesn't disappear at all?

Most of the time building this was trying to come up with good and fitting powers for customization options for the archetype. Speedsters are kinda niche and while they can pull off some absurd things it's usually a somewhat limited number of things compared to the weird stuff you see powerhouses stunt (a trend I like to call "Doing the Muscle Wizard"). It was rather annoying difficult, I didn't want to retred over the Power Profiles book and there aren't that many really unique speed feets outside of what was placed in there that would fit the point values or weren't too niche. Somewhat embarrassingly I forgot that I included the Accurate ranks in the alternate effect options and had to redo a few of them since they would have been well below caps otherwise.

When it came to concepts I decided to expand it, as once again original archetype was more an attempt to recreate a single specific example of the archetype rather than being a template to build into most versions. There's more speedsters than The Flash, most have super speed as part of a set of powers rather than just being pure speedster. Admittedly I did add a bit more "Flash" to the build with some interaction advantages but in my defense most speedsters do have some amount of charisma and trickery to them. I actually originally intended the Affable background to be named "Best Flash" because Wally West of JLU really was the best, who doesn't remember the time he beat a villain by just sitting down and having a normal conversation with the man rather than punching him in the face.
Jabroniville

Re: WAIFU WARZ - RE:ARCHETYPE - THE SPEEDSTER RUSHES IN

Post by Jabroniville »

Speedsters are the characters I hate statting the most, largely because it's just copying the exact same list of Alternate Effects over and over again for every character, lol. In comics, they're all the same guy :). It's especially annoying when the PLs are different, because then you have to cut & paste, then go over all the numbers and change them.
squirrelly-sama

Woodclaw wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:34 pm
squirrelly-sama wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:11 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:14 pm I swear I'm reading these, but there's SO MUCH TEXT that I keep getting ADD and forgetting to finish a paragraph and then I do some of my own builds and have to re-check from the beginning again, lol.

I remember the Big Eyes Small Mouth RPG detailing the origins of the Magical Girl genre, and even emphasizing how early on the cliche was for the girl to die saving people at the end of the series- something that was reflected in Sailor Moon's first season ending. And it also mentioned that SM was the combination of Magical Girls with Sentai, turning it into a action show.

Magic Knight Rayearth is one I've always been interested in, but it's had zero effect and impact on the West. It's too bad, because it's a close contemporary of my beloved Sailor Moon, and the show's director invented Rayearth.

Pretty Cure is apparently MASSIVELY popular in Japan, and said to be bigger than Sailor Moon ever was, though SM's pop culture influence has spread all over the world in a way that Precure's hasn't.

This also reminds me of just how little anime I've actually seen, as the local video stores (when they still existed) typically only had the Shonen stuff and the respected movies, and so I've barely even HEARD of stuff like Modoka and Precure, knowing them only by name, and being unable to even recognize their art styles.
Yeah, sorry for the size. I am a large fan of Magical Girl anime, mostly the shounen and deconstruction ones, and sort of overloaded this with trivia in the notes. Its just that to me it seems that Magical Girls as a concept has reached a point of cultural osmosis where a lot of people know of it but have never actually seen it but still judge it based on their incomplete mental image. Basically the first thing a person who doesn't watch anime thinks of when they hear "Magical Girl" is a girl in sailor moon cosplay doing a glittery strip tease on screen then attacking tentacle monsters, their chance of victory depending on the age rating of the show which to me feels like judging western animation based on old episodes of scoobie doo.

I haven't played Big Eyes Small Mouth, but it sounds interesting. I have seen Magical Girl specific tabletop rpg called Magical Burst which is basically Madoka Magica the Table Top RPG. There's also a 3D fighter called Magical Battle Arena which is "Super Robot Wars but With Magical Girls", I tried a couple of the games on steam but they tended to suck which is sad.

I'm kind of surprised you haven't been able to find Madoka, the show was popular enough in the west to see limited theater releases for it's movie. Best scene is Mami vs Homura, which the girl who's power is ribbons and uses flintlock muskets fights magical girl version Dio Brando who has more guns than the love child of The Punisher and Deadpool. But yeah, the series should be in any video store with even a semi-decent anime collection, hell I've seen it sold more often than the Evangelion rebuild movies. If nothing else it's on Netflix.
The trick is that the entire concept of Magical Girl is inherently flexible and very easy to adapt. Hell, I've seen people classifying even Mary Marvel as a magical girl kind of character.
Rayheart got a bit of a fanbase in Europe, but it's mostly linked to the general CLAMP fanbase. In Italy the cartoon got extremely famous for the atrocious adaptation that changed the title to Una Porta Socchiusa ai Confini del Sole (A Half-Closed Door at the Border of the Sun), which doesn't make any sense, and censored all the deaths.
Magical Girls as a concept has become so all encompassing that you could remove half the name and still find things that fall under the category.
... Girl: You got Jubei-chan a magical girl anime about a girl who's a reincarnated martial artist. Mermaid Melody about mermaid idol singers, cutie honey about a robot girl who has super disguise powers.
Magical...: You get Brockenblud about a boy who transforms into a cutsy outfit to fight monsters, Magical Ladybug where the rival and love interest uses magic to transform into a magical catboy. And Magical Girl Apocolypse where Magical Girls are actually a race of genocidal nigh unstoppable monsters.

Really if somethings vaguely feminine and fantastical in some way it could qualify under the magical girl genre.
NineOfSpades wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:09 pm I don't really have anything substantial to add, I just felt compelled to comment that since stumbling across this thread, you've become my absolute favorite builders for M&M, and I absolutely love the rebuilt archetypes you've made so far. Thanks for putting together such fantastic and flavorful characters!
Thanks, it's always nice to know people are enjoying the things I build. I really hope people do use these archetypes.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 am Speedsters are the characters I hate statting the most, largely because it's just copying the exact same list of Alternate Effects over and over again for every character, lol. In comics, they're all the same guy :). It's especially annoying when the PLs are different, because then you have to cut & paste, then go over all the numbers and change them.
I hope this one offers you something new then. ;)
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - RE:ARCHETYPE - The Paragon (PL10)

"This world is far from perfect or pure, no mater how hard I work I know I will never be able to save everyone. But even if I can only help the few people in front of me I will not hesitate to give everything I can to save them. It is not wrong to help others, compassion and hope are not a weakness. You can argue all you want, but you'll never change my mind, the one who's wrong is you. And I'm gonna prove it!"

The Paragon - PL 10
Height: 5'11" | Weight: 115 | Hair: Blond | Eyes: Blue
Role: The Idealist, The Kind One, The Humble One, The Flying Brick, The Determinator

Waifu Stats
Division - Welter Weight
Focus - Mixed Range Combat, Support Tank, People Person
Waifu Typing - Dandere, Girl Next Door, Humble Beauty

Strength 6, Stamina 10, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 4

Advantages
Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Persuasion), Improved Initiative, Interpose, Leadership, Ranged Attack 8

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+10), Insight 3 (+5), Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion 6 (+10)

Powers
Blast: Damage 8 (DC 23; Accurate 2: +4, Increased Range: ranged; Distracting)
Fisticuffs: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 25)
Flight: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
Tough: Protection 2 (+2 Toughness)
Optional - 10pp each wrote:Module - Backgrounds
. . Brawler (Advantages: Fast Grab, Improved Critical, Improved Grab, Improved Hold)
. . . . Enhanced Strength: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR; Limited to Lifting, Notes: Merge with Fisticuffs for a total of Str 10)
. . . . Feats of Strength AEs: Feature 2
. . Child of The Stars (Advantages: Favored Environment: Space)
. . . . Immunity: Immunity 3 (Environmental Condition: Space, Suffocation (All))
. . . . Movement: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Space)
. . . . Universal Translator: Comprehend 2 (Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood)
. . Reporter: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Expertise +8 (+8), Deception +4 (+8), Investigation +4 (+4), Stealth +4 (+6))
. . Saint
. . . . Blessing (Improved Critical, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Elements; Activation: move action)
. . . . Expertise - Theology: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Expertise +8 (+8))
. . . . Healing Hand: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds; Affects Others; Activation 2: standard action, Unreliable (5 uses))
. . . . Immunity: Immunity 1 (Disease)
. . Super Soldier (Advantages: Favored Foe: Soldiers, Great Endurance, Move-by Action, Skill Mastery, Teamwork, Notes: Trade Flight for 3 ranks of Speed with an Alternate Effect of 3 ranks of Leaping.)
. . . . Expertise - Soldier: Enhanced Trait 3 (Traits: Expertise +6 (+6))
. . . . Regeneration: Regeneration 2 (Every 5 rounds)
. . Team Leader: Luck Control 2 (Bestow Luck, Spend on Other, Advantages: Luck 5; Activation: move action)
Optional - 10pp each wrote:Module - Greater Powers
. . ASSEMBLE!: Burst Area Healing 10 (Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Energizing, Restorative, Selective; Limited: One Use, Limited: Others, Sense-dependent: Hearing, Temporary, Unreliable (5 uses))
. . Divine Protection: Immunity 20 (Very Common Descriptor: Evil; Limited - Half Effect, Notes: Covers powers such as Dark Magics, Curses, certain mental effects, and demonic powers.)
. . Flurry of Blows (Multiattack)
. . Last Stand: Healing 10 (Action 3: reaction, Resurrection; Limited: Self Only, Limited: Only when all other heroes are unable to fight, Limited: Does not Heal Toughness Penalties, Temporary, Tiring, Notes: Reaction to suffering Incapacitating Damage and conditions are met. Temporary will last until conditions are no longer met before damage conditions return.)
. . Muscle Magic: Affliction 10 (Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Variable Condition (All); Instant Recovery, Limited Degree, Notes: Linked to Fistifuffs)
. . Outsmart: Affliction 8 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: The higher of Insight or Deception, DC 18; Increased Range 2: perception, Insidious, Subtle: subtle; Limited: Reverse Fade, Sense-dependent: Hearing)
. . Power Overwhelming (Line Area 2: 5 feet wide by 60 feet long, DC 20; Tiring)
. . Purify: Nullify 10 (Counters: Evil Power, DC 20; Broad; Reduced Range: close)
. . Shine a Light: Burst Area Nullify 10 (Counters: Mental Effects, DC 20; Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, DC 20; Reduced Range: close, Sense-dependent: Sight)
. . Stunning Blow: Affliction 10 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20, Notes: Linked to Fisticuffs)
. . When All You Have Is A Hammer: Nullify 10 (Counters: Effects with a physical manifestation , DC 20; Broad, Simultaneous; Reduced Range: close, Uncontrolled, Notes: Linked to Fisticuffs)
Optional - 5pp each wrote:Module - Lesser Powers
. . Adamant: Immunity 5 (Environmental Conditions (All))
. . Alternate Form: Morph 1 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form; Increased Duration: continuous, Metamorph; Activation 2: standard action)
. . Death's Revolving Door: Immortality 2 (Return after 1 week; Innate)
. . Enhanced Teamwork: Burst Area Enhanced Trait 1 (Advantages: Favored Environment: With Teammates; Affects Others, Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 11, Selective, Subtle: subtle)
. . I Am Here!: Perception Area Nullify 10 (Counters: Emotional Effects, DC 20; Perception Area: DC 20 - Hearing or Visual; Reduced Range: close, Unreliable (5 uses))
. . Impervious Skin: Impervious Toughness 10 (Limited: Only Against Minions)
. . Powerful Lungs: Cone Area Move Object 10 (25 tons; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 20; Concentration, Limited Direction: Away, Reduced Range: close)
. . Quick Recovery: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)
. . Shield: Concealment 10 (Removable, All Senses, Advantages: Ultimate Effort: Toughness; Limited: Only interferes with ability to properly aim at user, Partial. Notes: This power is meant to interfere with the enemies ability to aim for and strike the user behind the shield.)
. . Super Senses: Senses 6 (Danger Sense: Hearing, Extended: Sight 1: x10, Extended: Hearing 1: x10, Microscopic Vision 1: dust-size, Ultra-hearing, Ultravision; Activation: move action)
. . X-Ray Vision: Remote Sensing 5 (Affects: Visual Senses, Range: 900 feet; Subtle: subtle; Limited: In a Straight Line, Quirk: Does not See Through Dense materials such as lead, Notes: Can be taken as an AE off of Laser Vision, if so ranks can be increased by 5.)
Optional - 10pp each wrote:Module - Paragon Features
  • Aegis: Feature 1 (Notes: When the complication People's Protector grants a Hero Point you gain an extra hero point. This second Hero Point does not last beyond the scene if not used.)
  • Beloved Hero: Enhanced Trait 1 (Advantages: Favored Foe: Civilian Crowds)
  • Conviction: Feature 1 (Notes: Demoralize with Persuasion Skill.)
  • Faster than a Speeding Bullet: Enhanced Trait 1 (Advantages: Seize Initiative)
  • Feats of Strength: Feature 1 (Notes: Add an Alternate Effect off of Strength Based Damage. PP cost is equal to Strength ranks.)
  • Friendly Foe: Feature 1 (Notes: Spend a hero point. All damage penalties of a target also penalize Interaction checks.)
  • In The Nick Of Time: Feature 1 (Notes: Spend a hero point to arrive at a scene off screen.)
  • Last Stand: Feature 1 (Notes: Spend a hero point to ignore Damage penalties for one turn.)
  • Mixed Melee: Feature 1 (Notes: Able to choose to not apply an effect linked to strength based damage or link an additional effect to strength based damage to activate both with the same action. It cannot apply to multiple effects inside an array or when unable to apply strength based damage.)
  • More Powerful Than a Locomotive: Enhanced Trait 1 (Advantages: Power Attack)
  • Motivate: Feature 1 (Notes: Pick one interaction skill. You can perform a DC15 check to perform an Aid Action.)
  • Muscle Power: Feature 1 (Notes: This feature allows you apply the "Strength Based" modifier to an effect other than Damage. Your strength ranks may stack with another power with a cost of 1 point per rank. Modifiers for this effect will require extra ranks to apply to the combined total ranks of effect. This does not violate PL. If chosen on a power in an array it may apply to all powers in the same array. It cannot apply to multiple effects at the same time nor allow multiple instances of strength stacking, such as linked Strength Based Damage and an Affliction with this feature. If you are unable to apply strength you are unable to use the effect this feature targets.)
  • Quick Change: Feature 1
  • Reassure: Feature 1 (Notes: Use a standard action to interact with nearby teammates. They gain a +5 circumstance bonus against mental effects for the scene. The bonus disappears if you are defeated or they fail a resistance check.)
  • Resonating Voice: Feature 1 (Notes: Persuasion checks are able to score "Critical" hits on rolling a 20. Each rank of this feature (Max 5) decreases the roll required by 1 from 20 to 16. The benefits of a critical can be one of the following: Increasing the degree of success by 1. Performing another Interaction check on the target using the same roll value as a free action, use Persuasion ranks to substitute another skill in an interaction check.)
  • The Icon: Enhanced Trait 1 (Advantages: Benefit, Status: Beloved Hero)
  • Voice of Reason: Feature 1 (Notes: Once per encounter can use a presence based skill to attempt to stop combat. Make an interaction check against target, if successful target will agree to stop the fight and talk things out so long as no hostile actions are performed.)
  • Withstand Damage: Feature 1 (Notes: Defensive Actions allow Toughness to be rerolled instead of Defense.)

Offense
Initiative +6
Blast: Damage 8, +12 (DC 23)
Fisticuffs: Strength-based Damage 4, +10 (DC 25)
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 16)
I Am Here!: Perception Area Nullify 10 (DC Will 20)
Muscle Magic: Affliction 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)
Outsmart: Affliction 8 (DC Will 18)
Powerful Lungs: Cone Area Move Object 10 (DC 20)
Purify: Nullify 10, +10 (DC Will 20)
Shine a Light: Burst Area Nullify 10 (DC Will 20)
Stunning Blow: Affliction 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)
Throw, +8 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 21)
When All You Have Is A Hammer: Nullify 10, +10 (DC Will 20)

Complications
Motivation: Doing Good: The Paragon believes in doing the right thing, having simple and straightforward morals that they stick to. They will help others in need simply because it's right, no task is to small for them or problem beneath them.
Power Loss - Little Green Rocks: Paragons often have some sort of weakness that can remove their array of powers easily and bring them down to human levels.
Quirk - Suborn: Often believing in their own sense of right and wrong the Paragon rarely considers the morality of others as being different. They tend to see their own actions as just, or necessary, and may even go against the wishes of their teammates if they feel it is morally justified. This most often manifests in a sense of personal responsibility for others, a need to "help" their teammates even if they do not want nor need assistance and a need to handle all problems, even those of others, themselves without help.
Responsibility - People's Protector: Putting the people first is the way of the Paragon, they will unhesitatingly do everything in their power to save civilians even if it means taking a hit themselves or revealing their identity.
Weakness - Magic or Energy: Paragons often take more damage from some energy source. Usually this is magic that bypasses their normal durability and endurance or some form of energy that is exceptionally harmful to them.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 56 + Powers 24 + Advantages 13 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 120 out of 150

Notes:
The Paragon archetype, a new and improved take on the pre-made character provided by the free source book.
Examples in fiction: Superman from DC Comics, Captain America from Marvel, The Hero from various JRPGs, Starfire from Teen Titans, All Might from My Hero Academia

The cornerstone and probably most iconic of all heroes is The Paragon. A beacon of light in a dark world and a hero in the truest sense of the word, the Paragon is as the name implies the ultimate example of what a hero is and should strive to be. They are not just an example to Heroes but to people, believing in hard work, bravery, and compassion as what really makes a hero. An inspiration to others there are always heroes and civilians alike who have bettered themselves based on them, seeing such kindness and humanity and feeling the need to live up to it as well. Their strength of morals and will is only rivaled by their sheer ability, as often the Paragon is one of the strongest and most dependable heroes in a fight.

A classic archetype, and probably one of the oldest that exists. The Paragon has been around long before comics and even the written word, as stories of ancient heroes and their amazing deeds served the purpose of teaching lessons to children and served as an ideal for them to strive towards to be considered a great person. With the birth of the modern Super Hero it became immortalized through both it's, and super heroes as a whole, best example Superman. Other examples exist but Superman is by far the most well known in the modern world, a name so well known that there are few who have not heard it nor have an idea of the character.

The Paragon as a trope does not belong to any specific build type. Crimefighters like Batman, super soldiers like Captain America, and even normal everyday people who just strive to help others the best they can can be considered a paragon. The qualifications being simply a good person who wants to do good things for no other reeason than because it's the right thing to do. A rather simple and straightforward character, and one that's becoming rarer as consumers of media have started to lean far more towards grim and dark stories with much more flawed heroes and see brighter stories and selfless heroes as unrealistic and as such somehow lesser. However great examples still exist, as writers have found ways to create interesting stories about them without compromising the human and benevolent core that defines the Paragon. Stories about the consequences for their well meaning intentions, the ways their charisma and how it's influenced others can affect the world for good or ill, and how their stubborn attitude and personal morality can come into conflict with other heroes who are not in agreement.

While the trope may be applied to any archetype the Paragon as a hero however brings to mind a certain type of build. Due to the influence of Superman the Paragon hero has been forever impressed with his image. An ideal super hero, both in ability as well as personality, someone strong, fast, and tough but also humble and kind. As such the Paragon is often seen as one of, if not the, strongest heroes. Powerful, mobile, tough, and with an decent number of options such that they should have some way of dealing with any given problem they face. Of course in a balanced game this is not truly possible, and having one hero significantly more powerful than other PCs would not be allow. And so this Archetype is built to represent a more balanced version, one that captures the spirit but keeps within the limits of the system without ruining the game.

Customization:
The Paragon is built with a few straightforward and simple powers by default. Melee damage, ranged damage, and a mobility option. Not to fast but quick enough, balanced attack and accurate, and a slight toughness shift. It is a build quite capable of functioning even with just the default options, and so can be freely customized.

The core of the Paragon that should be remembered when customizing is that they are more than just physical powers. A paragon is just as, if not more, dangerous through their strength of personality as they are the strength of their powers. High persuasion and many features that capitalize on this or represent more social abilities have been included in this build to help build that. It is this charisma as well as their base good nature that defines them even when they adopt traits of other archetypes. Superman is a Powerhouse Paragon, Batman is a Crime Fighter Paragon, RPG heroes are Martial Artist and Warrior Paragons.

The greater powers are mostly meant to be linked to unarmed damage, though can also be made into alternate effects of Strength Based Damage as well. This is due to how often a Paragon is seen as a pseudo powerhouse and thus would have a multitude of effects based on their physical abilities. However powers can also made to array with the Blast power as well. Due to the similarities of both archetypes having an unarrayed strength damage and blast effect cues can be taken from the Magical Girl archetype in how to customize this hero as well as mix multiple arrayed effects.

The Backgrounds cover easy good ways to build the Paragon to imitate more specific examples. The Brawler for Powerhouse and Superman based Variants, Child of the Stars is good way to create a one for a space fairing adventure or just to have a stranded alien similar to Star Fire. Reporter is another nod to Sups, though can be used for a basis on how to build a typical career for a paragon who's day job also gets decent screen time. Saint is a representation of more fantasy styled Paragons, such as Paladins or Heros from JRPGs. Both Super Soldier and Team Leader are meant for those planning to play more like Captain America, a primarily support role but one that is no less capable in a direct fight.

For some versions of this archetype a few changes may need to be made, not all Paragons can fly under their own power and may need to replace their Flight with another form of movement. Others may just simply be a very friendly powerhouse with no other power than their own strength and so may drop the Blast power and focus on strength, even getting some ranged attack skill on Throw to still have a ranged option in a pinch. Some may not actually have high damage on their own, such as super soldiers, and may add the Easily Removable flaws to parts of their powers as well.

The Lesser Powers and Features are meant to always be available or active and as such should not be put into an array.

Gameplay:
In combat paragons are a bit direct, they tend not to have too many options or strange power aspects that require set up or planning. In a straight fight it usually amounts to simply attempting to overpower the foe through brute strength while tanking through their counters. They're a little more defensive than offensive, being a tank, but overall they rely on just wading into the thick of things and duking it out until they come out on top. However it is outside of direct fights that the Paragon tends to see it's best play.

The Paragon is a Support Tank, while they are still very good on the front lines and in the thick of a fight they work best with a team and also help their team perform better. Healing, bonuses, and luck, and defending their squishier teammates is what they offer, not quite at the level of a dedicated support but the sacrifice in utility for personal ability makes a good trade off as they do not require other teammebers to defend them and are able to use their supports in the middle of a fight without too much risk. In addition to assisting their team they also have some options to interfere with their enemies, a couple tricks to keep them off balance but also a few means of simply ending a fight quickly through an alternative means than fighting as some are capable of simply talking their villains down.

A good person who does good, this is the essence of a Paragon, good roleplay being what really separates this archetype from others. In terms of Role Play a Paragon is deceptively simple. They appear as just a good guy who always does the right thing and acts like a bit of a boyscout. There is nothing inherently wrong with this sort of character but some may be turned off by this sort of character and leave the Paragon behind to avoid this sort of act. There are other options out there, different interpretations of "Good" and "Moral" and the filters it can be seen through, even keeping to the default there is still the interesting way other characters play off the Paragon, both good and evil alike.

Superman is a paragon who views his morals through his humble roots as a farmer in the american heartland. He espouses the values of hardwork, compassion, and humility. Likewise he also acts as a reporter, mixing in a need to know and uncover hidden truths for the greater good. Batman is a paragon who values justice, he seeks to make the world a better place where something like what happened to him never has to happen to anyone else. However Batman also has his flaws, his trust issues making him suspicious of his teammates and vice versa as well as his own physical limits restricting the sorts of actions he can take and what he can accomplish on his own. Captain America is a kid from Brooklyn who was given great power but sought to use it to help others, he is a paragon who views his morality through a patriotic filter, believing in the ideals of his country and was willing to go to war for it. A humbleman who seems innocent and naive but has witnessed the horrors of war and the darkest parts of humanity but still honestly and earnestly believes in the ideals he stands for.

Role Playing a Paragon can go many ways, but it is an important aspect of the character to remember. More than most a paragon is an archetype with a specific sort of personality and role play style needed to properly work with it. They need to remain moral, even when given hard choices they still remember their core moral compass. They need to be able to work off other characters, as the paragon is often a rather social and friendly person and tends to be the one to take the lead in a dialogue. They need to remember their personal flaws, as a Paragon despite their name is not perfect, they have their weaknesses and maybe even some darker parts of their personality.

Extra:
Woo, this is finally done. I had most of this sitting on my computer half finished for a while before I managed to get it done. It went through a couple rewrites but really the biggest issue was coming up with enough unique feats and powers that would set this character apart from others.

The original Paragon was an okay build, but was basically a Powerhouse that traded some versatility for a bit of flight. It was rather obvious that the Paragon was inspired by Superman but it seemed like they left out a lot of what really made Superman so iconic when other generic flying brick heroes just failed and were forgotten. Seriously, it only had Pre 1. I know that Pre is a terrible ability but they gave him 3 ranks of dex but no extra Pre? Talk about mismanagement, they put their terrible ability choice the wrong place so it can't even be excused as fluff.

I was initially going to build this as something similar, a powerhouse with a few changes to give it more social skills but that slowly changed and the character ended up getting rewritten a couple times. The first time was just to alter the scores to make statting out the optional powers easier but then I decided to scrap that in favor of actually imitating a little from one of the earlier archetypes. I speak of course about the Magical Girl archetype. Mostly I decided I wanted the Paragon to have both a powerful punch and a powerful blast, however this is a combination thats normally prohibitively expensive in MnM simply because of how the system is designed and it's intents. The flaw in design comes from the need to purchase extra range twice, one for throwing and another for blasts, which already goes on top of the accuracy cost for punching. It's honestly as if the publishers didn't want you to branch out, or just hated anyone who had more attack options than "Punch your face in". The Intent aspect comes from Arrays and GM interpretations. An Array is supposed to exist to keep multiple effects that you don't plan on using at once in a single place for a discount so someone doesn't have to pay ludicrous costs for having two separate attacks they will never use together, it's meant to promote variability in design so you don't have to be cripplingly over specialized or rely entirely on power stunts. However the issue comes from the requirement that these things have to be thematically linked, which leads to problems like having to purchase Damage twice if you want to punch someone and shoot eye lasers because some GMs think that if something is going to AE off of Strength damage it needs to be powered by muscles.

As I didn't want to lock "Muscle Wizard" in as the default for this build I abstained from that, as well as just purchasing Ranged on strength based damage and instead went with distracting Ranged Damage. Distracting both because the point save was needed to keep within the PP cost projection and because I would assume shooting lasers out of your eyes kinda makes it harder to see someone trying to attack you. All this to add a little flavor to a ranged attack when I could have just kept it as throwing junk. This game, man...

The default I went with is not as strong as the original, this was a creative choice to allow a bit more points to be used on customization as well as to fit it to more customization. A Steve Rogers inspired build probably isn't going to think strength 10 works for them after all.

The focus I went with for the Paragon was to be a supporting tank, to give them a lot of presence based features. It's a Paragon, they should have high social abilities and charisma and the fact the original didn't is criminal. A lot of time went into trying to come up with custom features for this that weren't too game breaking or confusing. I took a few from the Magical Girl and a couple others will be going on the Power House later. The creation of powers and features took quite a while, I wanted to make it unique, to not steal too much from other builds or to make things that I'd have to rip off for the Power House later. A few of the attacks are probably going to be taken by it later though. It was rather eclectic, trying to scour my brain and media to come up with some creative ideas and I went back and forth between the modules to add one once an idea strikes me. A few were made because the idea struck me of a synergistic feature or power while I was making another one entirely.

Overall an interesting challenge to make but overall a bit tedious.
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - RE:ARCHETYPE - The Powerhouse (PL 10)

"I don't really see the point in trying to mix it up. The wizard's got his magic and Tiny may be tricky as all heck, but if you ask me they're just over complicating things. Really, when it comes to solving a problem all that maters is sufficient force and knowing where to point it. When I use enough of the first I usually don't need the second."

The Powerhouse - PL 10
Height: 6'2" | Weight: 130 | Hair: Blond | Eyes: Blue
Role: The Berserker, The Battle Maniac, The Dumb One, The Unskilled but Strong, All Solving Hammer, The Big Guy, The Blood Knight

Waifu Stats
Division - Welter Weight
Focus - Melee, Tank, DPS
Waifu Typing - Tomboy, Amazoness, Yandere, Anego

Strength 10/5, Stamina 15/5, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages
All-out Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Power Attack, Startle

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+10), Intimidation 10 (+10), Perception 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Throw 10 (+10)

Powers
Power Attack: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 29; Inaccurate 2: -4)
Super Strength: Enhanced Trait 30 (Traits: Stamina +10 (+15), Strength +5 (+10))
Athletics
. . Burrowing: Burrowing 7 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round; Penetrating; Limited: To objects less tough than own strength ranks)
. . Leaping: Leaping 7 (Leap 900 feet at 250 miles/hour)
. . Speed: Speed 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)
. . Swimming: Swimming 7 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
Invulnerable: Impervious Toughness 15
Optional - 10pp Each wrote:Module - Backgrounds
. . Ancient Abomination: Immortality 5 (Return after 1 day)
. . Genius Bruiser: Enhanced Intellect 4 (+4 INT, Advantages: Eidetic Memory, Favored Foe: Significantly Dumber Foes)
. . Gentle Giant: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Presence +2 (+2), Persuasion +4 (+4), Advantages: Animal Empathy, Fascinate (Persuasion), Favored Foe: Animals, Interpose)
. . Invader
. . . . Immunity: Immunity 2 (Environmental Condition: Space, Suffocation: Space)
. . . . Summon Ship: Summon 3 (Removable; Controlled, Notes: Use points to purchase Space Ship)
. . . . Universal Translator: Feature 1 (Notes: Purchase as Equipment: Communication 4 (Understood, Understand All Languages))
. . Wildling
. . . . Movement: Movement 3 (Safe Fall, Swinging, Wall-crawling 1: -1 speed rank)
. . . . Senses: Senses 4 (Acute: Smell, Low-light Vision, Tracking: Smell 1: -1 speed rank, Ultra-hearing)
Optional - 10pp Each wrote:Module - Greater Powers
. . Crippling Blow: Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Cumulative; Limited Degree, Notes: Linked to Unarmed Damage)
. . Echoing Strike (Secondary Effect)
. . Enbiggen!
. . . . Elongation: Elongation 2 (Elongation: 30 feet, +2 to grab)
. . . . Growth: Growth 16 (+8 Intimidate, -16 Stealth, -8 active defenses, +4 size ranks, +2 speed ranks; Precise; Activation: move action, Limited to Increasing Size Only)
. . Flurry of Blows (Multiattack)
. . Flying Brick: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . Interpose: Deflect 5 (Redirection, Reflect; Reduced Range: close)
. . Makeshift Wall: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Impervious; Limited: Toughness and Properties of Surroundings, Permanent, Reduced Range: close, Notes: Grab nearby objects to use as a shield.)
. . Musk: Cloud Area Affliction 5 (1st degree: Entranced, 2nd degree: Disabled, Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 15, Reaction 3: reaction; Limited Degree, Resistible: Fortitude, Sense-dependent: Smell)
. . Punishing Blow: Weaken 10 (Affects: Toughness, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Affects Objects; Tiring, Notes: Linked to Unarmed Damage)
. . Rock Hard (Reaction 3: reaction; Limited: Damage Effect Ranks struck with, Limited: Must Pass Toughness Save vs Damage, Notes: When struck with a melee attack reflect back equal ranks of damage as the aggressor injures themselves in the attempt to damage you.)
. . Stone Wall: Immunity 20 (Very Common Descriptor: Piercing and Cutting; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Unbreakable: Regeneration 10 (Every 1 round)
Optional - 5pp Each wrote:Module - Lesser Powers
. . Berserker: Enhanced Trait 5 (Advantages: Improved Critical, Improved Smash, Improvised Weapon, Move-by Action, Seize Initiative)
. . Can Opener: Weaken 10 (Affects: Toughness, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Limited: Only toughness granted by devices and equipment)
. . Flex Break: Immunity 5 (Entrapment; Sustained)
. . Grappling: Enhanced Trait 4 (Advantages: Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Prone Fighting; Feature: Choke Hold Feat of Strength)
. . Great Endurance: Immunity 10 (Disease, Fatigue Effects, Sleep, Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation (All); Limited - Half Effect)
. . Incredible Strength: Enhanced Strength 5 (+5 STR; Limited to Lifting)
. . Meat Shield (Saving Throw: Toughness; Increased Mass 5)
. . Power Overwhelming: Environment 2 (Impede Movement (2 ranks), Visibility (-2), Radius: 60 feet; Activation: move action, Notes: Conjures a storm or vortex of impeding forces brought forth by bringing out the users full power.)
. . Shout: Auditory Area Communication 2 (Sense Type: Hearing; Area; Activation: move action, Concentration, Limited: Area Use Only)
. . Uncontrolled Transformation: Morph 1 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form; Increased Duration: continuous, Metamorph; Activation: move action, Uncontrolled)
. . Unstoppable: Movement 5 (Permeate 2: speed rank -1, Sure-footed 2, Wall-crawling 1: -1 speed rank; Limited: Only against obstacles less durable than strength ranks)
. . Weathering: Immunity 5 (Environmental Conditions (All))
Optional - 1pp each wrote:Module - Features
  • "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru" (Triggered: 1 use - "No, You're already dead.")
  • Feats of Strength: Feature 1 (Notes: Add an Alternate Effect off of Strength Based Damage. PP cost is equal to Strength ranks)
  • Flex: Feature 1 (Notes: Use Strength ranks to Fascinate)
  • Last Stand: Feature 1 (Notes: Spend a hero point to ignore Damage penalties for one turn.)
  • Massive Knockback: Feature 1 (Notes: When striking with strength based damage you can choose if the target suffers knockback. The target performs a strength check (plus ranks of mass) to determine if they suffer knockback. If they fail they are moved a distance ranks equal to the difference between their save and the DC for the check. If they encounter an object in their knockback is interrupted and ends.)
  • Muscle Power: Feature 1 (Notes: This feature allows you apply the "Strength Based" modifier to an effect other than Damage. Your strength ranks may stack with another power with a cost of 1 point per rank. Modifiers for this effect will require extra ranks to apply to the combined total ranks of effect. This does not violate PL. If chosen on a power in an array it may apply to all powers in the same array. It cannot apply to multiple effects at the same time nor allow multiple instances of strength stacking, such as linked Strength Based Damage and an Affliction with this feature. If you are unable to apply strength you are unable to use the effect this feature targets.)
  • Muscle Through: Feature 1 (Notes: When performing a Power Stunt using Strength Ranks with the Tiring Modifier you do not suffer the extra rank of fatigue from performing both.)
  • Passing The Torch: Feature 1 (Notes: By spending a hero point you can transfer your powers to another character you are in contact with. You are no longer able to use the powers yourself while they are in the other's character's usage.)
  • Penetrating Blows: Feature 1 (Notes: Damage performed by a smash attack must also be resisted by the bearer of the equipment.)
  • Power Pint: Feature 1 (Notes: Your appearance belies your strength. Your physical abilities cannot be assessed and you appear as a normal and harmless person.)
  • Smash and Grab: Feature 1 (Notes: After successfully applying a Grab you can choose to perform a Smash Attack as a Free Action. The grab performs as normal and and counts as the initial attack check required to grab your opponent.)
  • Supreme Control (Precise)
  • The Ripple (Variable Descriptor: close group - Fire/Cutting/Bludgeoning)
  • Unbalancing Blows: Feature 1 (Notes: After Performing an attack with strength based damage you may choose to perform a Trip action as a Free Action. The damage continuous as normal, the initial attack check from it counts as the attack check for this attack.)
  • Withstand Damage: Feature 1 (Notes: Defensive Actions allow Toughness to be rerolled instead of Defense.)
Optional - 10pp Feats of Strength Options wrote:Module - Feats of Strength
. . Choke Hold: Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Fatigued, 2nd degree: Exhausted, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Cumulative; Grab-based)
. . Dizzy Punch: Affliction 10 (1st degree: Impaired, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Disabled, Defenseless, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Extra Condition; Limited Degree)
. . Dust Cloud: Cloud Area Concealment 2 (Sense - Sight; Affects Others, Cloud Area 2: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 12, Selective; Activation 2: standard action)
. . Friction Ignition: Cloud Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Contagious; Side Effect 2: always - Must Resist effect too)
. . Menacing Pose: Perception Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Entranced, 2nd degree: Stunned, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Perception Area: DC 20 - Sight, Selective; Instant Recovery, Limited Degree)
. . Percussive Maintenance: Healing 10 (Affects Objects Only; Limited: Others Only)
. . Power Counter: Nullify 10 (Counters: Effects that can be countered by physical destruction, DC 20; Broad, Simultaneous; Reduced Range: close, Uncontrolled)
. . Shock Wave: Burst Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Vulnerable, Dazed, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Stunned, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Extra Condition; Instant Recovery, Limited Degree)
. . Transfer Strength: Healing 10 (Energizing; Empathic, Limited: Others Only)
. . Tremors
. . . . Knock About: Burst Area Move Object 10 (Linked; 25 tons; Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, DC 20; Concentration, Limited: Both user and target must be grounded, Reduced Range: close, Uncontrolled)
. . . . Shaky Ground: Environment 2 (Linked; Impede Movement (2 ranks), Radius: 60 feet; Concentration, Limited: Both user and target must be grounded)
. . . . Unbalance: Burst Area Affliction 8 (Linked; 1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless, DC 18; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, DC 18; Instant Recovery, Limited: Target and User must be grounded, Limited Degree)
Offense
Initiative +2
Can Opener: Weaken 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)
Choke Hold: Cumulative Affliction 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)
Crippling Blow: Cumulative Affliction 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)
Dizzy Punch: Affliction 10, +10 (DC Will 20)
Friction Ignition: Cloud Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 22)
Knock About: Burst Area Move Object 10 (DC 20)
Menacing Pose: Perception Area Affliction 10 (DC Will 20)
Musk: Cloud Area Affliction 5 (DC Fort/Will 15)
Power Attack: Strength-based Damage 4, +6 (DC 29)
Power Counter: Nullify 10, +10 (DC Will 20)
Punishing Blow: Weaken 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)
Shock Wave: Burst Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20)
Throw, +10 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 25)
Unbalance: Burst Area Affliction 8 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 18)

Complications
Disability - Simple Minded: Often the recipient of the Dumb Brute tropes, The Powerhouse tends to be less than brilliant. Even if they are not especially dim Powerhouses still tend to be impatient and foolhardy.
Monstrous: As a price for their might the Powerhouse often looks somewhat monstrous. Either having a very inhuman appearance or being so muscular that they can be instantly recognized even outside of costume.
Reputation - Brute: The Powerhouse is often seen as a massive brute. Aggressive, dangerous, and a bringer of destruction. The truth of these rumors varies from hero to hero.
Temper: Quick or slow to anger, The Powerhouse often has some sort of berserker state. Once Triggered they will go to nearly any length to destroy their opponent with little ability to consider the consequences of their actions.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 5, Parry 5, Fortitude 15, Toughness 15, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 32 + Powers 57 + Advantages 6 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Defenses 9 = 120 out of 150

Notes:
The Powerhouse archetype, a new and improved take on the pre-made character provided by the free source book.
Examples in fiction: Brittany Diggers from Gold Digger, She-Hulk from Marvel Comics, The Soldier class from Dragon Quest, Hercules from Greek Mythology, Yuugi from Touhou, FLEX MENTALLO MAN OF MUSCLE MYSTERY

Unstoppable Force and Immovable Object combined into a single package deal, that is the Powerhouse. A seemingly unstoppable engine of destruction, the Powerhouse is an incredibly popular hero archetype and one rather well recognized and utilized. Sure you could use arcane magic spells to warp reality, or cleverly trick your opponents into defeating themselves, but no other form of problem solving is quite so cathartic as smashing whatever is opposing you into the ground so hard China spontaneously develops a new mountain. As their potential for violence increases the number of problems it can't solve approaches zero. Villain? Punch it. Meteorite? Uppercuts. Unstable doomsday device? Give it the old one two! Solicitors? LIKE THE FIST OF AN ANGRY GOD!

The Powerhouse is a hero that focuses on overwhelming force and endurance, often purely physical in nature. They punch and kick hard enough to crack just about anything they could face, with few tricks or misdirection, soaking up and shrug off devastating blows in turn. Strong but Unskilled is often what describes their fighting style, as even if they often miss the one time the one they eventually manage to land often is all they need to win.The absurd strength of the Powerhouse often gives them a few special options, feats of strength, letting them accomplish seemingly impossible physics breaking tasks purely but brute forcing reality into complying with their whims. With enough strength their ability to pull powers out their bum can reach absurd degrees.

Customization:
Super Strength, despite what some would assume, is a very flexible descriptor and with enough creative thinking or the natural charisma to convince the GM on Rule of Cool, you can leverage it into many a power. The Powerhouse has quite the pool of options to pick from, though most should probably saved for Powerstunts. On the surface they're rather simple and straight forward but creative players can easily find ways to leverage their limited pool of options into something amazing.

Much like the Paragon most of Powerhouses most obvious options come from his strength. Unlike the Paragon they tend to lack secondary powers, such as the Paragon's Blast or the occasional ice breath. Instead they double down on the strength and toughness, performing feats that are extensions of those powers or some other normal human physical ability escalated to hilarious degrees. Super senses, impenetrable skin, and regeneration are all often powers that a Powerhouse has, with more esoteric ones usually just being something that ties into their concept as a physical heavy hitter such as growth or some form of animal or beast related abilities.

The Powerhouses options are often rather obvious, being either an enhancement to their damage or some means of soaking up more damage. Very rarely do they have utility powers, those tend to only crop up in Feats of Strength and with limited applications. Outside feats of strength a Powerhouse tends to just have Linked Attacks, Immunities, and Recovery options as this is often all they need to function and do what they do best.

Feats of Strength are where the Powerhouse can really go crazy. Where they normally lack utilities they can make up for it here. Feats of Strength make up for what the build tends to lack, sacrificing a standard action to shore up a weakness or create an opening in a tricky opponent. Rather than simply purchasing any Feat of Strength you may need it is better to simply select a few that are well rounded and keep notes of ideas for more esoteric uses for power stunts. A Powerhouse can even work without a single Feat of Strength on the build, surviving on Power Stunts to pull off crazy accomplishments and special attacks. Depending on the setting this can range from simple chokeholds to punching death in the face to revive an ally.

Gameplay:
Probably one of the easiest builds to play as the Powerhouse is a great beginner pick. Tough enough to survive just about anything and strong enough to at least bruise whatever the GM throws their way. Decent and varied mobility lets them deal with blitzers and ranged attackers as well as overcome terrain obstacles to get within their preferred attacking range. Their default lack of options attacking is a blessing to new players who simply need to focus on punching their opponent into submission with the most they need to worry about is if they can land a power attack. It's a forgiving play style that can help a new player get used to the system while remaining a viable option as they grow more experienced with how to play.

For veteran players a generic brute can come across as a bit droll, and so creative uses of strength are a must. While their passive and default options make them more efficient at a straight up brawl Feats of Strength can completely change how an entire encounter or session can play out. Being able to smack a machine into working order or literally punch someone into next week are just a few of the strange things that can be done with Feats of Strength to keep the character fresh and mix up a campaign.

Roleplaying the Powerhouse is also split between two extremes for Veterans and Newbies. There's no true character for Powerhouses as a whole, unlike the Paragon, and often it's comes down to picking a handful of common tropes and perhaps adding a few personal quirks into the Mix. The Powerhouse tends to be rowdy, lively, boisterous, and often this is more than enough to establish the character. For those who are more skilled in role playing however a few avenues can open up, as the Powerhouse is a great vehicle for badass stunts and rule of cool moments. However those who seek to RP a Rule of Cool "Muscle Wizard" do need to remember to beware the trappings of becoming a spotlight stealer, pulling solutions out of nowhere too often can remove the excitement of play and repeatedly attempting to outshine teammates can lead to ruining the experience for others.

In general, the best strategy for a Powerhouse is the rather obvious choice of just punching your problems in the face until they disappear. Save up the Hero Points and stunts until it's needed or would be most entertaining and then let them flow like water to style all over the encounter. But be cautious to keep in mind their weak Will stat, their Achilles heel.

Build Notes:
The original Powerhouse is probably the best of all the core rule books archetypes. It's a simple enough concept and build type it's almost impossible to screw up unless you have no knowledge of the system, in which case the screw ups are mostly things like breaking PL or otherwise invalid options. While most of the Archetypes are nearly unplayably broken they for the most part still follow the rules outside of a couple errata. He's strong, he's tough, he has a couple unique attacks in an array to represent feats of strength, really the only real issue with him is the points wasted by not putting the Array under Strength-Based damage and that both Array options are too similar in function that one should be dropped. His leaping is kinda ludicrous and I'm not sure why he has expertise since most Powerhouses tend to be kinda dumb but, eh. Honestly if I had to recommend a build for a beginner among the archetypes powerhouse would probably be my first choice 9 times out of 10.

This was probably the simplest rebuild I've done. Most of the difficulty came from trying to find good art for this post. Namely finding good art of muscle chicks that wasn't NSFW, a very narrow category as nearly all muscular female art is either just a muscleman with boobs or porn. Sometimes both.

The build started on a blank sheet without more than a cursory look at the original build. There wasn't really a need to do so, as the Powerhouse is such a simple concept and build style that two people building it from scratch will likely result in just about the exact same thing. While I wanted something that was similar to the original I didn't necessarily want something that was a pure rehash. A bit of fat trimming ensued to get things down to the required point costs that I set to allow customization, with care taken to not compromise the build's core strengths and usability. Initially I started with quite a few advantages and and slightly higher abilities but eventually dismissed it.

I wanted to add the Impervious Power to the character, useless on nearly every build but somewhat useful if still annoyingly expensive on a Powerhouse with maxed out toughness. Plus the Powerhouse is a character who shrugs off damage, not having impervious kind of felt wrong, so I ignored the little voice in my head telling what a waste of points it was and added Impervious toughness. This necessitated even more cost cutting to get things back in line, I took out most of the non-core but still useful advantages and packaged them into the Lesser powers as fighting styles. Not optimal but still useful. In truth I considered making Impervious just a greater power but since I had set the price of those at 10 I really couldn't do that, I didn't want to give this build less than full ranks of impervious and didn't want to split it up.

Among the default powers I made sure to create Athletics rather early on, as mobility is rather important even if the system lacks the details on spacing like most fighting games or even other TTRPGs. Flight would have definitely been more useful but that was already on the paragon and didnt' quite fit the default Powerhouse build even if it appears on some specific examples. Still, I was sure to include the less used movement options in swimming and burrowing since those pretty much never get used. And for good reason, one is literally just limited speed for the same cost of speed while the other can just be purchased for on the cheap and let you use your normal speed or movement option ranks instead.

Seriously, why do all the movement powers except flight kinda suck? Speed is okay but Leaping is limited flight but with extra limits. Like, you not only have to fall back to earth the same turn but then they added a cap to how far you can travel a round just arbitrarily, which kinda just defeats the whole freaking purpose of a movement power. There's no reason to purchase more than 7 ranks of leaping because you will never go more than 7 ranks of distance in a round. Then there's Swimming. Fun fact, your swim speed is based on your ground speed, so just buying Speed already gives you swimming. The only advantage swimming has is that athletic checks to swim can be performed as a routine check. Why is this a power? Both leaping and Swimming should have just been 1 point flat extras on Speed. For as situation as Burrowing is at the very least it gives you a unique movement option.

There was a bit of a rewrite early on when I decided to change out the strength ranks from 15 to 10 to make strength modifiers more consistent and cheaper but overall it didn't change much, I put in both Power attack the Advantage and Power Attack the strike power to show how they throw out a devastating hit if they need to. The first is helpful in keeping Modifiers during a power up, the latter is to allow the devastating Power Attack+All Out Attack combo without breaking the rules as maneuvers can't be stacked, or even just double up on Power Attacks on a defenseless foe or object to completely obliterate them with 19 ranks of damage. Really Power Attack, the advantage, is kinda OP if you think about it, just using pure damage with no modifiers you still end up getting about 1 point ahead in the exchange than if you modeled it as a power. Not sure what they were thinking there.

The Greater Powers were mostly either just ways to enhance attacks, like linked attacks and enhanced extras, or based on Powerhouses from other media. Same with the Lesser Powers and feats of strength. Comics, games, and especially anime were a major inspiration for these as it tended to give some of the most stupidly awesome and awesomely stupid stunts. "He's just posing there... MENACINGLY!" Heh. Yes, it is a Jojos reference. It was quite fun coming up with so many of these, the Power Profiles was rather underwhelming in most of the strength powers. Most of it was either massively impractical and/or stupidly designed or was just rather obvious and boring. Greater Powers were reserved for powers that would be very core to the potential build or were rather powerful, while Lesser Powers focused on more situation powers or ones that gave only minor benefits.

This was probably one of my favorite archetypes to redesign, and hopefully it will be as fun to play.
Last edited by squirrelly-sama on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - RE:ARCHETYPE II - The Power Armor (PL 8)

"Startup complete. All Clear. Let's jam..."

The Power Armor - PL 8
Height: 5'6" | Weight: 112 | Hair: Black| Eyes: Black
Role: Empowered Badass Normal, Tank, Flying Artillery, Cool Beauty.

Waifu Stats
Division - Light Weight
Focus - Mid Range and Long Range, DPS
Waifu Typing - Badass, Woman in Uniform

The Power Armor - PL 8

Strength 8, Stamina 2, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Defensive Roll 2, Improved Initiative, Improvised Tools

Skills
Athletics 4 (+12), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+6), Expertise: (Scientific Discipline) 4 (+6), Insight 3 (+5), Perception 3 (+5), Ranged Combat: Fire Arms 8 (+8), Technology 4 (+6), Treatment 2 (+4)

Powers
Exosuit (Removable)
. . Armor Plating: Protection 6 (+6 Toughness)
. . Augmented Strength: Enhanced Strength 8 (+8 STR)
. . Mobility: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . . . Leaping: Leaping 5 (Alternate; Leap 250 feet at 60 miles/hour)
. . Synaptic Link: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Dodge +2 (+6), Parry +2 (+6), Advantages: Improved Initiative)
Rifle (Easily Removable)
. . Full Auto: Damage 6 (DC 21; Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack; Diminished Range)
. . Sniper Mode: Damage 8 (DC 23; Extended Range, Improved Critical, Increased Range: ranged)
. . Tranq Dart: Progressive Affliction 6 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Increased Range: ranged, Progressive; Unreliable (5 uses))
Optional - 10pp each wrote:Modules - Backgrounds
. . Cadet: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Ranged Combat -6 (+2), Parry -2 (+4), Fighting +2 (+2), Advantages: Improved Aim, Improvised Weapon, Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Teamwork)
. . Genius: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Intellect +3 (+5), Technology +4 (+10), Advantages: Eidetic Memory, Inventor)
. . Hotshot: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Persuasion +4 (+6), Deception +4 (+6), Presence +2 (+4), Advantages: Fascinate (Deception), Taunt)
. . Rich: Variable 1 (Advantages: Benefit, Wealth 3 (millionaire), Connected; Slow, Notes: Purchase 5pp worth of Equipment, can be swapped between adventures or at GM's discretion.)
. . Transhuman
. . . . Augmented Physiology: Immunity 4 (Aging, Disease, Sleep, Starvation & Thirst, Advantages: Great Endurance; Limited - Half Effect)
. . . . Cybernetics: Feature 7 (Notes: Buy off Removable Flaw from Exosuit)
Optional - 10pp each wrote:Modules - Greater Upgrades
. . Hardy Design (Removable)
. . . . Immunity: Immunity 2 (Critical Hits)
. . . . Impervious Defense: Impervious Toughness 10
. . High Mobility (Removable)
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Acrobatics +8 (+8), Agility +2 (+2), Dodge -2 (+4), Advantages: Agile Feint, Skill Mastery)
. . . . Movement: Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation: Urban, Safe Fall)
. . Mainframe Interface: Cumulative Mind Reading 6 (Removable, DC 16; Cumulative, Sensory Link; Distracting, Limited: Machines)
. . Modular Design: Variable 2 (Removable; Slow, Notes: Upgrade the Exosuit to better handle an expected threat or hazard.)
. . Rocket Booster: Flight 6 (Removable, Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)
. . Sealed Suit: Immunity 12 (Removable, Environmental Conditions (All), Sensory Affliction Effects, Suffocation (All))
. . Sensory Suite
. . . . Communication: Radio Communication 2 (Removable; Activation: move action, Quirk: Static and Interference can make message hard to understand)
. . . . Senses: Senses 6 (Removable, Analytical: Vision, Distance Sense, Extended: Vision 1: x10, Infravision, Radio, Ultravision; Feature: Can record sensory input; Activation: move action)
. . Spy Drones: Remote Sensing 4 (Removable, Affects: 2 Types, inc. Visual - Visual and Audio, Range: 500 feet)
. . Stealth Suit (Removable)
. . . . Cloaking Field: Concealment 3 (Sense - Hearing, Sense - Sight; Blending)
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Stealth +8 (+8))
. . . . Stealth Technology: Concealment 6 (All Aural Senses, All Visual Senses; Blending, Limited to Machines)
. . . . Untraceable: Movement 4 (Trackless: Visual 1, Trackless: Aural 1, Trackless: Olifactory 1, Trackless: Other Senses 1; Limited: To Machines, Limited: Blending)
Optional - 5pp each wrote:Modules - Lesser Upgrades
. . Electromagnetic Sheilding: Immunity 12 (Removable, Common Descriptor: Electric, Uncommon Descriptor: EMP; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Ghosting: Movement 3 (Removable, Permeate 3: full speed)
. . Interface: Comprehend 2 (Removable, Machines / Electronics, Advantages: Favored Foe: Machines; Subtle: subtle)
. . Internet Access (Removable)
. . . . Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Intellect 6 (+6 INT, Advantages: Well-informed; Distracting, Limited: Knowledge and Expertise Checks)
. . . . Quickness: Quickness 4 (Perform routine tasks in -4 time ranks; Limited to One Type: Mental)
. . Mecha (Removable)
. . . . Growth: Growth 4 (+2 Intimidate, -4 Stealth, -2 active defenses, +1 size rank; Limited to Increasing Size Only, Permanent)
. . . . Protection: Protection 2 (+2 Toughness)
. . . . Speed: Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)
. . . . Strength Effect (Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
. . Mechanical Arms (Removable)
. . . . Elongation: Elongation 1 (Elongation: 15 feet, +1 to grab, Advantages: Fast Grab)
. . . . Extra Limbs: Extra Limbs 4 (4 extra limbs, Advantages: Improved Grab)
. . Radio Jamming: Environment 3 (Removable, Other: Radio Interference 2, Radius: 120 feet, Notes: Checks to percieve radio signals suffer -5 penalty.)
. . Remote Controlled Suit: Immortality 6 (Removable, Return after 16 hours; Limited: Can be killed permanently if attacked before recovery)
. . Universal Translator: Comprehend 3 (Removable, Languages - Read All, Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All)
. . Wire Trick: Movement 3 (Removable, Swinging, Wall-crawling 2: full speed)
Optional - 1pp Features wrote:Modules - Suit Features
  • Biometric Lock: Feature 1 (Notes: our power suit will only activate for you or for a few select individuals that you allow to access it, anyone attempting to access the suit that does not match the profile of selected users will not be able to use the suit and it will remain inert.)
  • Compact Technology: Feature 1 (Notes: This feature allows the suit to be hidden in a compact form to avoid detection and it can freely shift in and out of this hidden compact mode.)
  • Digital Storage: Feature 1 (Notes: Able to store large amounts of data inside the suit's memory.)
  • EMP Shielding: Feature 1 (Notes: A shielding that protects the battle suit from being disabled by EMP or similar technology nullifying devices. This applies Innate to the Exosuit.)
  • Flash Light: Feature 1
  • Hidden Compartments: Feature 1 (Notes: The Power Armor has small compartments built in to store and protect small and fragile items.)
  • Holograms: Feature 1 (Notes: The Power Armor has the capability to create small holograms to easily display images and recordings for others. These holograms are small (Volume rank 0) and can be easily distinguished from real objects through tells such as flickering, transparency, or a lack of color.)
  • Megaphone: Feature 1
  • Overclock: Enhanced Trait 1 (Advantages: Extraordinary Effort)
  • Plasteel Armor: Feature 1 (Notes: The material the suit is made of appears deceptively weak.)
  • Proximity Sensor: Senses 1 (Danger Sense: Tactile)
  • Self Repairing: Feature 1 (Notes: The Power Armor is capable of recovering from damage automatically over time removing 1 damage penalty every 10 rounds.)
  • Summon Signal: Feature 1 (Notes: As a standard action you can send a signal to your suit when separated so that it will attempt to travel to your location.)
  • Universal Port: Feature 1 (Notes: Allows physically connecting to electronic devices.)

Offense
Initiative +4
Full Auto: Damage 6, +10 (DC 21)
Grab, +1 (DC Spec 19)
Mainframe Interface: Cumulative Mind Reading 6 (DC Will 16)
Sniper Mode: Damage 8, +8 (DC 23)
Throw, +0 (DC 23)
Tranq Dart: Progressive Affliction 6, +8 (DC Fort 16)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 23)

Complications
Power Loss - Battery: One of the biggest limitations of power armor is the power requirements. While it can remain active for a long periods of time before running out of energy in ideal conditions the constant stress of combat and needs to exert more force or push the limitations of the suit can quickly drain this limited pool.
Weakness - Just a Man: Underneath all the metal and machinery lies just a man, and while their armor can withstand the stress of clashing with super powered villains his body is not so resilient. Effects that can bypass his suit will ignore the bonuses of the toughness bonus granted by it.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 6/4, Parry 6/4, Fortitude 6, Toughness 10/8, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 16 + Powers 38 + Advantages 3 + Skills 17 (34 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 90

Notes:
I decided to rebuild my rebuild (so I could rebuild while I rebuild), in this case I both cleaned things up a bit to make it fit in more with how I did the later archetypes rebuilds and make it PL8 since a few people on a discord channel I hang out on wanted a PL8 battle suit.

Since I already built it once before I won't go into much detail again. I made the more superfluous and non-core items from the last and higher level iteration into upgrades and rebalanced things to get the good old 30pp of customization options.
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - HERO HIGH ARCHETYPES | Ministra Arcana (PL 8)

"Here I'm standing in the night
My crescent wand the only light
Alone against my darkest fear
But I sense my friends are near
I'll draw from each the power I need
Evil queen we will defeat"

Ministra Arcana - PL 8

Strength 4, Stamina 4, Agility 4, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Defensive Roll 2, Power Attack, Takedown, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+6), Deception 3 (+5), Insight 2 (+4), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat: Magic Attacks 6 (+6)

Powers
Pick One wrote:Combat Focus
. . Magi - The Gimmick User: Feature 15 (Notes: Spend on Magic Traits)
. . Praelia - The Brawler: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR, Advantages: All-out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon)
. . Promedias - The Balanced (Advantages: Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Move-by Action)
. . . . Enhance Blast: Damage 2 (DC 17; Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged)
. . . . Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Strength 2 (+2 STR)
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 1 (Traits: Close Combat +2 (+8))
. . Sagitta - The Artillery: Damage 4 (DC 19, Advantages: Accurate Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover); Increased Range: ranged, Precise, Stacks with: Magic Blast: Damage 6)
Leaping: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour)
Magic Blast: Damage 6 (DC 21; Increased Range: ranged)
Magic Strike: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 21; Improved Critical)
Protection: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
Optional - 10pp each wrote:Module - Magic Traits
. . Analyze
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Insight +8 (+12), Perception +8 (+10); Activation 2: standard action)
. . . . Senses: Senses 4 (Acute: Detect, Analytical: Detect, Detect: Opponents Traits 2: ranged)
. . Binding Magic: Move Object 10 (25 tons; Limited: Grabbing and Holding In Place)
. . Concealing Fog: Cloud Area Concealment 2 (Sense - Sight; Affects Others, Cloud Area 2: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 12, Selective; Activation 2: standard action)
. . Flash Step: Teleport 3 (250 feet in a move action, carrying 50 lbs.; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Subtle: subtle, Turnabout)
. . Henshin: Morph 2 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Narrow group; Psychic; Activation 2: standard action)
. . Magical Barrier: Create 8 (Volume: 250 cft., DC 18; Stationary, Tether; Reduced Range: close)
. . Magical Mascot: Enhanced Trait 10 (Advantages: Sidekick 10)
. . Magical Mirror: Deflect 10 (Reflect; Reduced Range: close)
. . Magician: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Expertise +8 (+8), Intellect +2 (+2), Advantages: Artificer, Ritualist)
. . Scrying Mirror: Remote Sensing 5 (Affects: Visual Senses, Range: 900 feet)
. . Seal Evil: Nullify 10 (Counters: Dark Magic, DC 20; Increased Duration 2: sustained; Reduced Range: close, Unreliable (5 uses))
. . Shrine Maiden
. . . . Expertise Miko: Enhanced Trait 6 (Traits: Expertise +8 (+8), Advantages: Artificer, Ritualist)
. . . . Spiritual Potential (Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank)
. . . . Spiritual Sensitivity: Senses 2 (Danger Sense: Mental, Detect: Evil 1)
. . Special Attack (Custom: Add one +1 Extra to primary attack type, Notes: For Promedias reduce to 8 ranks, add Variable Descriptor - Own Attacks, and add an Alternate Effect for another Special Attack also with Variable Descriptor.)
. . Tank
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait -10 (Traits: Dodge -5 (+1), Parry -5 (+1))
. . . . Protection: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Impervious [10 extra ranks])
. . Telepathy: Mental Communication Perception (One Sense) 2 (Perception (One Sense): Hearing)
. . Unaided Flight: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . Well Rounded: Feature 10 (Notes: Purchase either 4 Ranks of Strength if a Sagitta, 4 ranks of Ranged damage if Praelia, 2 Ranks Each (removing Accurate Modifiers) if Promedia, or any of the above if Magi. Spend remaining points on flat extras, Alternate Effects, or Advantages related to chosen option.)
Optional - 5pp each wrote:Module - Magic Traits (Lesser)
. . Aided Flight: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Custom: Platform, Winged, Sourced, or limited)
. . Bag of Holding: Feature 5 (Removable; Subtle: subtle, Notes: Reduce Mass of carried objects by one rank per rank of this feature.)
. . Evasive: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Dodge +4 (+10), Parry +4 (+10), Toughness -4 (+6), Advantages: Uncanny Dodge)
. . Experienced: Feature 5 (Notes: Purchase 5 Alternate Effects build off either Strength based damage or magic attack.)
. . Genre Conventions: Feature 5
  • Anti-Pervert Defense: Feature 1 (Notes: Once per scene if the Magical Girl is grabbed they launch an attack as a reaction.)
  • Assist Attack: Feature 1 (Notes: When performing a Team attack you can take ranks of your effect and use it add modifiers or remove flaws of equal or lesser rank from the attack that's being used.)
  • Beauty Never Tarnished: Feature 1 (Notes: The Magical Girl always looks prim and proper regardless of environment or damage taken.)
  • Befriending: Feature 1 (Notes: Spend a hero point to cause damage penalties to apply to interaction checks.)
  • Bishojo: Feature 1 (Notes: Equally attractive to boys and girls.)
  • Charming: Feature 1 (Notes: Feint with Persuasion skill.)
  • Combined Attack: Feature 1 (Notes: You can combine your attack with a teammates. If attacking simultaneously with different effects you link the effects and use a single attack roll to hit with both. The effect and accuracy ranks cannot exceed PL. If using the same effect you may combine descriptors and modifiers.)
  • Conviction: Feature 1 (Notes: Demoralize with Persuasion)
  • Cosplay Kit: Feature 1 (Notes: Various themed disguises)
  • Death Glare: Feature 1 (Notes: Intimidation attempts are subtle)
  • Deep Ties: Feature 1 (Notes: Gain an extra complication from an extra emotional complication. Additional Hero Point only lasts for the scene.)
  • Genre Savvy: Senses 4 (Precognition; Check Required: DC 10 - Expertise: Pop Culture, Side Effect: on failure - Wrong Genre Savvy)
  • Last Stand: Feature 1 (Notes: Spend a hero point to ignore damage penalties for a single round.)
  • Medium Awareness: Feature 1 (Notes: Character occasionally breaks the 4th wall. Spend a hero point to make use of Meta information such as witnessing a flashback, knowing the source material, or being able to hear the narration.)
  • Motivate: Feature 1 (Notes: Use one presence based skill to attempt to motivate an ally. DC15 check to perform an Aid Action.)
  • Notice Me Senpai: Feature 1 (Notes: Spend a hero point and choose a team member and a skill. You are able to use that skill at the same ranks as them until your next turn.)
  • Klutz: Immunity 2 (Uncommon Descriptor: Own Slam Damage; Limited - Half Effect)
  • Panty Shot: Feature 1 (Notes: Once per scene if tripped by or adjacent to a prone male the Magical girl can launch an attack as a reaction.)
  • People Person: Feature 1 (Notes: Use persuasion to detect lies and detect motive instead of insight.)
  • Plot Sense: Feature 1 (Notes: Magical Girl has a vague feeling of important events happening.)
  • Power Pint: Feature 1 (Notes: You are very petite, being 1 size and mass rank less.)
  • Sense Killing Intent: Senses 1 (Danger Sense: Mental)
  • Sneeze: Feature 1 (Notes: Others speaking about you behind your back will cause you to sneeze)
  • Supportive Senpai: Feature 1 (Notes: Use a standard action and interact with another character. You can provide this character with 1 hero point or a rank of luck from your own shares.)
  • Timely Arrival: Feature 1 (Notes: Spend a Hero Point to arrive at a distant scene from off screen.)
  • Tsun~: Feature 1 (Notes: Can reverse damage caused by friendly fire.)
  • Twice as Bright: Feature 1 (Notes: Spend a Hero Point. For a short period of time you gain a large boost in PP and PL as determined by the GM (Including PL X). Once this power is exhausted or the character is rendered unable to take actions they die.)
  • Voice of Reason: Feature 1 (Notes: Once per encounter can use a presence based skill to attempt to stop combat. Make an interaction check against target, if successful target will agree to stop the fight and talk things out so long as no hostile actions are performed.)
. . Greater Mobility: Flight 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round; Precise, Subtle: subtle; Quirk: Requires objects to leap from and bounce off of.)
. . Inhuman Physiology: Immunity 10 (Life Support; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Quick Recovery: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)
. . Ribbons
. . . . Elongation: Elongation 2 (Linked; Elongation: 30 feet, +2 to grab; Limited: Extra Limbs)
. . . . Extra Limbs: Extra Limbs 2 (Linked; 2 extra limbs, Advantages: Improved Grab; Projection)
. . Shared Language: Comprehend 2 (Extra Ranks 2, Advantages: Favored Foe: Comprehend specialty, Notes: Pick either Animals, Machines, Objects, Plants, or Spirits)
. . Special Senses: Senses 5 (pick up to 5 senses, Extra Ranks 5)
. . The Power of Friendship: Summon 4 (Heroic, Increased Duration: continuous, Innate; Limited: Requires Teammates, Limited: Exhausting, Source: Team Leader, Tiring, Notes: Meant for teammates of the leader. All members of Magical Girl Team lend the last of their strength to empower their team leader.)
. . The Power Of Love: Nullify 10 (Counters: Mental Effects, DC 20; Broad, Simultaneous; Distracting, Reduced Range: close, Sense-dependent: Sight)
. . With All Our Strength: Variable 1 (Limited: Requires Other Teammates, Uncontrolled, Notes: Combine ranks of this effect among teammates to form a group power. The Leader often has one that affects themselves while her teammates have one that affects others only in order to lend her strength.)
Optional (limited to 1) wrote:Module - Magic Traits (Magi Only)
. . Ancestral Return: Summon 12 (Heroic, Innate; Attitude: indifferent, Tiring)
. . Anti-Magic: Nullify 8 (Counters: Magic, DC 18; Accurate: +2, Broad, Increased Duration 2: sustained; Reduced Range: close)
. . Beast Tamer: Enhanced Trait 24 (Advantages: Sidekick 24, Animal Empathy)
. . Bringer of Misfortune: Perception Area Affliction 8 (1st degree: Impaired, Dazed, 2nd degree: Disabled, Stunned, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Perception Area: DC 18 - Sight, Extra Condition, Reaction 3: reaction, Subtle: subtle; Limited Degree, Side Effect: on failure - May somtimes affect self, Uncontrolled)
. . Creature Mimicry: Variable 3 (Action 2: free, Subtle: subtle; Limited: Imitating Traits of Mundane Animals)
. . Energy Manipulation (applied to magic blast; Shapeable Area: 30 cft., DC 16, Precise, Reaction 3: reaction)
. . Evocatio: Summon 8 (Multiple Minions: 2 minions, Sacrifice; Tiring)
. . Flicker Time (Advantages: Seize Initiative)
. . . . Ambush: Affliction 10 (1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless, DC 20; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Increased Range 2: perception, Insidious, Subtle: subtle, Triggered: 1 use - On Launching Another Attack; Instant Recovery, Limited Degree, Quirk: Must be able to move to target)
. . . . Quickness: Quickness 5 (Perform routine tasks in -5 time ranks; Subtle: subtle)
. . . . Speed: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Subtle: subtle)
. . Holding Back: Summon 12 (Controlled, Heroic, Innate; Feedback, Limited: User unable to take own actions., Uncontrolled, Notes: Summons Enhanced Form of user. Power is normally reserved for either the seemingly weakest member of the team or the leader. )
. . Instant Expert: Variable 3 (mimic skills and skill based powers; Action: move, Subtle: subtle)
. . Magic Binds: Burst Area Move Object 8 (6 tons; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 18, Selective, Subtle: subtle; Limited: Holding In Place)
. . My Voice Shakes The Heart: Cumulative Affliction 8 (1st degree: Entranced, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception, Insidious; Sense-dependent: Hearing)
. . Mysteriously Masked Senpai - Senpai Kamen: Summon 8 (Heroic, Increased Range: ranged, Subtle 2: undetectable; Quirk: Insidious to user, Self-Powered, Uncontrolled, Notes: Summons Senpai Kamen, the Magical Girls designated love interest. Senpai Kamen has the following complications: "My Work Here is Done" - Senpai Kamen often only stays long enough to interrupt the fight with a speech before leaving, having accomplished nothing. "Takahashi Couple" - Senpai Kamen has a complicated relation ship with the Magical Girl depending on who's in costume they can either love or hate each other.)
. . Null Magic Zone
. . . . Concealment: Concealment 10 (All Senses; Limited 2: Magic Based Senses)
. . . . Nullify: Nullify 10 (Counters: Magic, DC 20; Broad, Reaction 3: reaction; Limited: Checks vs self, Limited: Cannot Be Turned Off, Reduced Range: close)
. . Shrink (Activation: Standard Action)
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait -16 (Traits: Stamina -8 (-4))
. . . . Fantastic Voyage: Movement 2 (Dimensional: Tiny-verses 2: group, 50 lbs., Advantages: Favored Environment: Tiny-verses)
. . . . Shrinking: Shrinking 16 (-4 STR, -8 Intimidate, +16 Stealth, +8 active defenses, -4 size ranks, -2 speed ranks)
. . . . Smaller than the eye can see: Concealment 6 (All Aural Senses, All Visual Senses; Limited: Only Against those Significantly larger)
. . Thauma Machinalia - The Mechanical Miracle: Summon 12 (Heroic, Sacrifice; Feedback, Self-Powered)
. . The Best Defense (Reaction 3: reaction, Variable Descriptor: close group - Own Attacks)
. . Thief (Array)
. . . . Fake Expert
. . . . . . Fools Fortune: Variable 1 (Linked; skills and abilities needed to pass inspection; Action 3: reaction, Subtle: subtle; Check Required: DC 10 - Deception)
. . . . . . Why Yes That's Me: Morph 2 (Linked; +20 Deception checks to disguise; Narrow group; Subtle: subtle; Check Required: DC 10 - Deception)
. . . . Pickpocket: Teleport Attack 8 (1 mile in a move action, carrying 50 lbs., DC 18; Accurate: +2, Attack: Dodge, Insidious, Multiattack, Precise, Subtle: subtle; Limited: Objects)
. . . . Sneak: Concealment 10 (All Senses; Precise, Subtle: subtle; Activation 2: standard action). . . . Shadow Slip: Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal; Precise, Subtle: DC 20; Activation 2: standard action)
. . . . Surprise Attack: Weaken 10 (Affects: Toughness/Will/Fort, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Broad: Resistances, Increased Range 1: Ranged, Subtle; Limited: Instant Recovery; Notes: Linked to other attacks)
. . Unkillable (Advantages: Diehard)
. . . . Immortality: Immortality 1 (Return after 2 weeks; Limited: Does not recover wounds)
. . . . Immunity: Immunity 3 (Aging, Uncommon Descriptor: Instant Death Effects)
. . . . Regeneration: Regeneration 20 (2 per round)
. . Unwanted Rescue: Summon 12 (Heroic, Innate; Attitude: indifferent, Uncontrolled, Notes: Summons a more accomplished Rival magical girl who must be convinced to help. This powerful backup can appear at any time and has conflicting interests with the heroine.)
. . Witch (Array)
. . . . Charm: Variable 2 (Affects Objects, Affects Others Only, Increased Range: ranged, Split: 2 targets, Subtle: subtle)
. . . . Conjuration: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20)
. . . . Counter Spell: Nullify 10 (Counters: Magic, DC 20; Broad)
. . . . Magic Hand: Move Object 10 (25 tons)
. . . . Polymorph: Progressive Affliction 10 (3rd degree: Transformed, DC 20; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Increased Range: ranged, Progressive; Fades, Limited Degree (third only))
. . . . Transmutation: Transform 3 (Affects: Anything, Transforms: 6 lbs., DC 13; Increased Duration: continuous, Increased Range: ranged; Quirk: Reversing Effect requires another use of Transmutation)
Optional - 5pp each wrote:Module - Personal Traits
. . The Boy?: Morph 1 (appear as opposite gender, +20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form, Advantages: Attractive; Uncontrolled)
. . The Chuuni: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Expertise (PRE) - Anime and Manga +6 (+8), Advantages: Conspiracy Theorist - Increases Crit of insight checks, Fascinate (Expertise))
. . The Cold One: Immunity 10 (Emotion Effects, Interaction Skills; Limited - Half Effect)
. . The Cool One: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Presence +2 (+4), Deception +2 (+6), Notes: Can substitute Deception boost for any other Pre based skill.)
. . The Expert: Feature 5 (Notes: Purchase 10 ranks of skills in expertise and any other relevant skill to chosen expertise.)
. . The Girly One: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Persuasion +4 (+8), Advantages: Attractive, Favored Foe: Those Attracted to Her, Skill Mastery)
. . The Graceful One: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Agility +4 (+8), Dodge -4 (+6), Advantages: Skill Mastery)
. . The Heart
. . . . Conviction: Feature 1 (Notes: Demoralize with Persuasion)
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 1 (Traits: Deception -2 (+2), Persuasion +4 (+8))
. . . . Moral Support: Feature 1 (Notes: Can be used on someone suffering a prolonged Will resisted effect (such as an affliction or will resisted illusion). Using your Persuasion ranks you can do a check against the effect's DC. If you succeed the victim can immediately do a free resistance check against the effect. With 2 degrees of success they gain a +2 circumstance modifier. At 3 or more degrees of success it is a +5 circumstance modifier.)
. . . . Motivate: Feature 1 (Notes: Use one presence based skill to attempt to motivate an ally. DC15 check to perform an Aid Action.)
. . . . People Person: Feature 1 (Notes: Use Persuasion instead of insight to determine motive and detect deceit.)
. . The Idol: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Expertise (PRE) Performance +6 (+8), Persuasion +2 (+6), Advantages: Fascinate (Expertise))
. . The Leader: Enhanced Trait 5 (Advantages: Inspire 4, Leadership)
. . The Loner: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Stealth +6 (+10), Advantages: Hide in Plain Sight, Skill Mastery)
. . The Mature One: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Awareness +2 (+4), Insight +2 (+6))
. . The Popular One: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Expertise (PRE) Pop Culture +6 (+8), Deception +2 (+6), Perception +2 (+4))
. . The Smart One
. . . . Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Intellect 3 (+3 INT, Advantages: Eidetic Memory; Limited: Expertise Checks)
. . . . Quickness: Quickness 2 (Perform routine tasks in -2 time ranks; Limited to One Type: Mental)
. . The Tomboy: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Athletics +4 (+8), Advantages: Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative)
Offense
Initiative +4
Ambush: Affliction 10 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 20)
Anti-Magic: Nullify 8, +6 (DC Will 18)
Binding Magic: Move Object 10, +6 (DC 20)
Bringer of Misfortune: Perception Area Affliction 8 (DC Will 18)
Counter Spell: Nullify 10, +6 (DC Will 20)
Fighting Dirty: Cumulative Affliction 10, +6 (DC Will 20)
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 16)
Magic Binds: Burst Area Move Object 8 (DC 18)
Magic Blast: Damage 6/8/10, +6 (DC 21/23/25)
Magic Hand: Move Object 10, +6 (DC 20)
Magic Strike: Strength-based Damage 2, +2 (DC 21/23/25)
My Voice Shakes The Heart: Cumulative Affliction 8 (DC Will 18)
Nullify: Nullify 10, +2 (DC Will 20)
Pickpocket: Teleport Attack 8, +8 (DC Dog 18)
Polymorph: Progressive Affliction 10, +6 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 20)
Seal Evil: Nullify 10, +6 (DC Will 20)
Sucker Punch: Weaken 10, +6 (DC Will 20)
The Power Of Love: Nullify 10, +6 (DC Will 20)
Throw, +0 (DC 19)
Transmutation: Transform 3, +6 (DC Dog 13)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 19)

Complications
Curse Sworn - Deconstruction: Being a Magical Girl isn't what it used to be. Gone are the days of bright colors and happy endings now is the era of the cynical. The Magical Girl suffers some horrid fate thanks to their occupation, maybe being forced to enter a death game with other magical girls or are doomed to eventually turn into the very monsters they hunt.
Enemy - Dark Kingdom: The most common opposition for the Magical Girl is a dark syndicate or some different otherworldly malevolent group that seeks to doom the earth.
Identity: Magical girls often have a secret identity and keep their moonlighting as a defender of love and justice under wraps.
Power Loss - Normal Girl: Most Magical Girls did not naturally gain their powers but were gifted them through some means, often requiring some sort of device to enter their empowered persona and without it they are just a normal student.
Responsibility - Student: Being a normal teen (or even pre-teen) the Magical Girl is expected to go to school, do their homework, and listen to their parents or other adults.

Languages
Japanese

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 8, Toughness 10/8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 36 + Advantages 5 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 105

Notes:
A rebuild of my Magical Archetype to be PL 8. Given the ages involved the character this is probably more appropriate and useful as the Magical Girl is more likely to appear in a Hero High style campaign than a more traditional setting. Here's the original build at PL10.

This one was a little harder to get back into balance given the sheer amount of stuff I put on it while weebing out. I ended up having to nix a couple powers from the original since they didn't fit the new PL and couldn't be easily reworked into the new PP costs. Overall it's a more power and toughness shifted build than the original. I added some new options and altered some existing ones. A couple features took a bit of inspiration from the new Super Team book that recently came out.

For a more in-depth analysis and instructions on how to play and customize look at the original build.
Last edited by squirrelly-sama on Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: WAIFU WARZ - HERO HIGH ARCHETYPES | MINISTRA ARCANA - DEFENDERS OF LOVE

Post by Jabroniville »

Agh that sonnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg. Absolutely top-tier brilliance. The soundtrack is the only manner in which the dub was far superior to the original.
squirrelly-sama

Re: WAIFU WARZ - HERO HIGH ARCHETYPES | MINISTRA ARCANA - DEFENDERS OF LOVE

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:18 am Agh that sonnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg. Absolutely top-tier brilliance. The soundtrack is the only manner in which the dub was far superior to the original.
Well, unironically superior. It sort of has that charm early dubbed anime has where the localization and censorship give it it's own unique identity. Like Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z. But yeah, Carry On is one of the best choices of the dub if totally just the sort of thing that localizers love, replacing the music with translated or entirely original pieces in the style that's popular and recognizable to western audiences. It's something I sort of miss in modern dubbing, as things become more true to the source material the early stylistic choices in the act are becoming less and less noticeable. It's still for the best but it kinda pains my nostalgia that future generations won't get to experience the same sort of "Why are they calling those rice balls donuts?" moment like I did growing up.

I was originally going to put up something more modern, like Madoka Magi's Connect, but went with Carry On because I'm a sucker for 80s and 90s nostalgia.
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - HERO HIGH ARCHETYPES | The Alien Exile (PL8)

"You will cease your vandalism at once, either surrender peacefully or face my star-born wrath!"

The Alien Exile - PL 8

Strength 4, Stamina 6, Agility 4, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 4, Presence 2

Advantages
Attractive

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+8), Expertise: Alien Cultures 4 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+4), Ranged Combat: Star Blasts: Damage 8 8 (+8), Technology 4 (+4), Vehicles 4 (+4)

Powers
Star Blasts: Damage 8 (Removable, DC 23; Improved Critical, Increased Range: ranged, Precise, Notes: Wrist Mounted blaster.)
Star Flight: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
Star-Born Traveler: Comprehend 2 (Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All; Broad Type: Common Galactic Languages)
Very Tough: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
Optional - 10pp each wrote:Module - Background
. . Psionic: Immunity 20 (Very Common Descriptor: Mental Effects; Sustained; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Star Idol
. . . . Expert Idol: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Persuasion +6 (+10), Expertise (PRE) +8 (+10), Advantages: Fascinate (Expertise))
. . . . Inspiring Performance: Feature 1 (Notes: Your song moves the hearts of those who hear it. Make an Expertise: Performance check vs DC15. If you succeed grant the target a +2 circumstance bonus for the turn. 3 or more degrees of success grants a +5 circumstance bonus.)
. . . . Soothing Voice: Feature 1 (Notes: Your voice has a healing effect. Make a standard action Expertise Performance check vs DC15. Each degree of success allows you perform one of the following:
• Remove a –1 penalty to Toughness resistance checks due to damage.
• Remove one of the following conditions: dazed, fatigued, or impaired.
• Reduce one of the following conditions: disabled to Impaired, exhausted to Fatigued, or stunned to Dazed.
• Restore one lost rank to a weakened ability.)
. . Star Pilot
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Vehicles +2 (+6), Advantages: Skill Mastery)
. . . . Star Fighter Beacon: Summon 5 (Removable; Increased Duration: continuous; Self-Powered, Notes: Summons Vehicle)
. . Star Spark: Enhanced Trait 9 (Traits: Technology +6 (+10), Intellect +2 (+2), Advantages: Inventor, Ultimate Effort: Technology; Feature: Does not suffer penalties from dealing with Alien Technology)
. . Star Trooper: Enhanced Trait 14 (Traits: Expertise +8 (+8), Treatment +6 (+6), Advantages: Defensive Attack, Improved Aim, Move-by Action, Prone Fighting, Set-up, Tactical Feint: Feint with Expertise Tactics, Teamwork; Quirk 4: Make Star Blast easily Removable (+4pp))
. . Starborn Noble: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Insight +4 (+8), Intellect +2 (+2), Persuasion +4 (+8), Advantages: Benefit, Status: Exiled Noble, Skill Mastery)
. . Starborn Warrior
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Close Combat -2 (+6), Parry -4 (+2), Fighting +4 (+8), Acrobatics +2 (+6), Advantages: Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Takedown)
. . . . Sweeping Strike: Feature 1 (Notes: When you successfully land a blow with your weapon you can make a trip attempt as a free action. The weapon damage is calculated normally. The weapon attack check counts as the attack check for the trip.)
. . . . Weapon: Strength-based Damage 2 (Easily Removable, DC 21; Improved Critical)
. . Starborn Warrior (Starborn Strength): Enhanced Trait 9 (Traits: Close Combat -4 (+4), Parry -4 (+2), Fighting +4 (+8), Athletics +2 (+6), Advantages: Fast Grab, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip; Feature: Sweeping Strike, Notes: Change Power Attack for All Out Attack. Change Improvise Weapon for Improved Smash.)
Optional - 10pp each wrote:Module - Greater Powers
. . Alien Physiology
. . . . Assume Form: Variable 1 (Action: move, Notes: Alters Physical Traits.)
. . . . Immunity: Immunity 2 (Critical Hits)
. . Call Star Jumper: Summon 4 (Removable; Increased Duration: continuous, Increased Range: ranged; Self-Powered, Notes: Summon Space Ship)
. . Mental Concealment: Concealment 10 (All Senses; Resistible: Will)
. . Mental Scan: Mind Reading 8 (DC 18; Insidious, Subtle: subtle; Limited to Surface Thoughts)
. . Psychic Link: Mental Communication Perception (All Senses) 1 (Perception (All Senses), Subtle: encrypted)
. . Sensory Sync: Remote Sensing 3 (Affects: All Types, Range: 250 feet; Simultaneous, Subtle: subtle; Feedback, Limited: Sensory input of medium, Medium: Intelligent Beings)
. . Shape Shifter: Morph 2 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Narrow group)
. . Solar Sustenance: Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support; Quirk: Requires regular exposure to sunlight)
. . Starborn Strength: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR, Advantages: Improvised Weapon, Power Attack)
Optional - 5pp each wrote:Module - Lesser Powers
. . Alien Babe: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Presence +2 (+4), Attractive +1 (+2))
. . Alien Mentality: Immunity 10 (Emotion Effects, Interaction Skills; Uncontrolled)
. . Enhanced Flight: Flight 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round; Stacks with: Star Flight: Flight 4, Subtle: subtle)
. . Evasive: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Dodge +4 (+10), Parry +4 (+10), Toughness -4 (+6), Advantages: Uncanny Dodge)
. . Human Form: Morph 1 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form)
. . Mind Meld: Cumulative Mind Reading 8 (DC 18; Cumulative, Feature: Can be used to share memories with another.; Grab-based, Reduced Range: Close)
. . Phase Shift: Movement 2 (Permeate 2: speed rank -1; Subtle: subtle)
. . Solar Energy: Regeneration 10 (Every 1 round; Limited: Only when directly exposed to sunlight)
. . Starborn Power: Feature 5 (Notes: Buys off Removable Flaw from Star Blasts and adds one AE.)
. . Starborn Resistance: Immunity 10 (Damage Effect: Light, Damage Effect: Cosmic Energy; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Sun Kissed: Immunity 5 (Custom: Solar and Stelar Effects 5)
. . Super Senses: Senses 5 (Danger Sense: Hearing, Extended: Hearing 1: x10, Extended: Sight 1: x10, Ultra-hearing, Ultravision)
. . Wrist Scanner: Senses 6 (Removable, Acute: Detect, Analytical: Detect, Detect: Physical Composition 2: ranged, Radio, Radius: Detect)
. . X-ray Vision: Senses 6 (Extended: Sight 2: x100, Penetrates Concealment: Sight; Activation: move action)

Offense
Initiative +4
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 14)
Mental Scan: Mind Reading 8 (DC Will 18)
Mind Meld: Cumulative Mind Reading 8, +8 (DC Will 18)
Star Blasts: Damage 8, +8 (DC 23)
Throw, +0 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 19)
Weapon: Strength-based Damage 2, +10 (DC 21)

Complications
Disability - Stranger in a Strange Land: The cultural differences between earth and her home planet are large and the Alien Exile often is taken by surprise by the unique customs of earthlings and lacks a certain amount of common sense.
Enemy: The Alien Exile was cast out by someone who regards her as a threat, and may still be after her.
Motivation: Acceptance: As an outsider, the Alien Exile wants to prove her worth to her new home by being a hero.
Passionate: Very idealistic and headstrong the Alien Exile is prone to listening to acting on their strong emotions.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 8, Toughness 10, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 48 + Powers 28 + Advantages 1 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 100 out of 120

Notes:
A retake on the Hero High Archetype The Alien Exile.

An unfortunate and sadly unwilling visitor from the stars. The Alien Exile fled from her home to escape a threat to her life and is no longer able to return to the world she knew. To survive she needed to hide on an unknown, under developed world that has no knowledge nor connections to the galaxy at large, and that world is Earth. She is extremely out of her depth, both ignorant of human culture which is so very different from other races in the galaxy but also young and still navigating the already confusing experience that is being a teenager. The Alien Exile is kind, caring, and passionate, she trusts in her intuition and feelings and feels and reaction much more emotionally than most. She loves, lives, and fights with a fire that can be quite frightening to be the target of, she is a person of extremes who does nothing in half measures.

She is friendly, quick to try and form bonds and relationships with others and holds these connections to others dearly, trusting implicitly and remaining utterly loyal. However if this trust is betrayed her anger would make even that seem to pale as the once positive feelings serve as fuel for her burning wrath. Still, she loves life and seeks to live it to the fullest, rarely holding grudges for long and she wishes to simply enjoy herself as much as she can. As scary and troublesome as her personality may be those who can count her among their friends find themselves wrapped up in her passionate and lively energy and would not have it any other way.

The Alien Exile is a rather well versed combatant, while she specializes in ranged attacks by default she is not a slouch when it comes to unarmed fighting. Physically stronger and tougher than earthlings with a few unique advantages granted by her origins she's quite the difficult opponent to face and one of the more powerful combatants of the group.

Customization:
The Alien Exile has 20pp to use for customization. A little less than most archetypes thanks to the berth of different powers she has. If more points are needed one could simply remove either strength or the ranged attack, which ever is not focused on, in order to free up some points at the cost of versatility. Not all Alien Exiles are physical fighters, nor do all of them have ranged attacks. Some may not even focus on combat at all, filling in a more diplomatic role.

There are options for most, though the Diplomat would require some more drastic alterations than what would fit in the normal template. If one wants to focus on diplomacy or similar styles of play over more traditional damage dealing than there's a few steps needed to adjust the build to allow it. Removing Star Blast, Strength, and the close and ranged combat skills gives 28pp. This will all you to purchase an effect with a cost of 3pp per rank up to 8 ranks as well as 4 additional AE off that effect. This base effect would be Something like an affliction or weaken will effect that is both Perception area and selective.

Build Notes:
Decided to make a different version of the Alien Exile found in Hero High. It's an okay build but one with few odd design choices in my opinion that wasted points since it was either pointless or wasn't actually enough to fulfill what they were going for. Strength 4 and fighting 4, but no close combat skill so it's functionally useless in a PL8 campaign. And 5 ranks of Dex. She only has one ranged attack that isn't even a weapon and doesn't use the other dex skills. Like seriously, she's an alien but she doesn't even have the inborn option to maybe fly a space ship?

Anyway, I rebuilt it to be a bit more customizable and hopefully better fit what I think they were going for as well as other versions of the character. The image the original was going for was obviously Starfire from Teen Titans but point sinks ended up tanking the character's ability to actually accomplish that. Now it's a greater power, a lesser power, and leaves 5 pp free to customize.

God this build got hit with the point sinks so hard as a concept. I tried hard to try and actually get this down to 90pp base cost but for the life of me couldn't find a way to scrape up the point saves in a way that wasn't too cheesy or likely to get a GM to toss out the build because of it. Dammit, blast why are you so expensive? Game play mechanics means that having it outside of an array with strength's damaging portion is a bad idea but not only is the point increase enough that it'd neuter the ranks of blast being an AE off of it but most GMs would just say no to that. So once again, like with the Paragon, it's another helping of double paying for damage and accuracy.

Besides the points I had to try and keep in mind the point cost of the Star Blaster device so it would fit the options to either make it a gun or make it a non-removable power. There was also trying to juggle making the build capable of fitting a wide variety of different options common to alien characters. Miss Martian, alien soldiers, space divas, etc. Such a headache.

In the end though I'm satisfied with the results, I wish I could do more but I know that I did the best I could.
Last edited by squirrelly-sama on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squirrelly-sama

Re: WAIFU WARZ - HERO HIGH ARCHETYPES | ALIEN EXILE - REFUGE FROM BEYOND THE STARS

I gotta say it's annoyingly difficult to design at PL8 while still leaving room for customization.
Woodclaw

Re: WAIFU WARZ - HERO HIGH ARCHETYPES | ALIEN EXILE - REFUGE FROM BEYOND THE STARS

Post by Woodclaw »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 am I gotta say it's annoyingly difficult to design at PL8 while still leaving room for customization.
I have to disagree, some of my best design in 2e I did at PL8.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
squirrelly-sama

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:37 am
squirrelly-sama wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 am I gotta say it's annoyingly difficult to design at PL8 while still leaving room for customization.
I have to disagree, some of my best design in 2e I did at PL8.
I don't play 2e, this is 3e. 3e with it's very annoying habit of forcing double payments for very stupid things.