JDRook's Character Kitchen

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
JDRook

JDRook's Character Kitchen

Post by JDRook »

I wanted to keep my characters in one place, (mostly) separate from rules talk on my other thread, so here it is!

I really enjoy looking over and optimizing other people's builds as well, so I may open it up for that later.
JDRook

Re: JDRook's Character Kitchen

Post by JDRook »

Reserved for future index
JDRook

Nightbane Guardian

Post by JDRook »

Nightspawn Guardian art.jpg
Nightspawn Guardian art.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Guardian - PL 10

Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 3, Dexterity 1, Fighting 3, Intellect 1, Awareness 5, Presence 1

Advantages
Defensive Roll 2, Fascinate (Persuasion), Power Attack

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+6), Insight 5 (+10), Perception 7 (+12), Persuasion 4 (+5), Ranged Combat: Light Powers 7 (+8), Stealth 3 (+6), Treatment 6 (+7), Vehicles 1 (+2)

Powers

Awe Factor: Perception Area Affliction 2 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Perception Area: DC 12 - Visual, Reaction 3: When Spotted using Powers; Instant Recovery, Limited: Only once per target per Encounter, Limited Degree) - 4p

Light Powers: Dynamic Array: 20p pool + 9 DAE = 29p
. . Flight 5 ([Dynamic, max 10p, 2/r], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round) - 2p
. . Healing Touch: Healing 5 ([Dynamic, max 9p, 2/r-1]; Activation: move action) - 2p
. . Light Blast: Damage 8 ([Dynamic, max 18p, 2/r+2], DC 23; Accurate 2: +4, Increased Range: ranged) - 2p
. . Nullify Magic: Nullify 10 ([Dynamic, max 20p, 2/r], Counters: Magic, DC 20; Broad) - 21p
. . Shield of Light: Protection 5 ([Dynamic, max 10p, 2/r], +5 Toughness; Impervious) - 2p

Master Psionic: Wide Array: 14p pool + 3 AE = 17p
. . Empathy: Mind Reading 5 (DC 15; Limited to Emotions) - [5] 1p
. . Mind Block - [14] 1p
. . . . Mind Block: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Mental Effects)
. . . . Mind Veil: Concealment 2 (Other Sense Type: Psionics)
. . Presence Sense: Senses 4 (Detect: Supernatural Creature 2: Acute, Ranged, Radius) - [4] 1p
. . See Aura: Senses 9 (Acute: Life Sense, Analytical: Life Sense, Awareness: Possession, Detect: Life 2: ranged, Detect: Magic 2: ranged, Detect: Aberration 2: ranged; Sustained) - [9] 1p

Radiate Light: Environment 1 (Light (Bright), Radius: 30 feet; Feature: As sunlight, half vs vampires) - 3p

Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds) - 1p

Solar-Powered: Immunity 3 (Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation (All)) - 3p

Blinding Resistant: Immunity 5 (Sensory Affliction Effects; Limited: Light only) - 3p

Super-Senses: Senses 14 (Accurate: Magic Sense, Awareness: Magic, Counters Concealment: Invisible, Counters Illusion: Visual, Darkvision, Extended: Visual 1: x10, Infravision, Postcognition (Limited): Uncontrolled, Ultravision) - 14p

Offense
Initiative +3
Awe Factor: Perception Area Affliction 2 (DC Will 12)
Empathy: Mind Reading 5 (DC Will 15)
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 13)
Light Blast: Damage 8, +12 (DC 23)
Nullify Magic: Nullify 10, +8 (DC Will 20)
Throw, +1 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +3 (DC 18)

Complications
Disability: In exchange for their supernatural powers, Guardains have lost their memories and often the skills and connections they had to get through life, making them dependent on the charity of friends and strangers.
Motivation: Responsibility: They are driven to help others and to oppose the supernatural evil that pervades the world.
Prejudice: Their appearance is at best surprising and at worst otherworldly and frightening.
Solar Powered: Needs a few hours of sunlight per day. Treat as Starvation if denied.

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 5/3 (10 with Light Shield), Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 40 + Powers 74 + Advantages 4 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 150

While wrestling through my Mech & Meta post I discovered my old Nightspawn* book and was reading through the Guardian RCC, which I always thought might make a fun character without all of the random rolls that never seemed to work for me making Nightspawn. Apparently they were also overlooked when Palladium made Dark Conversions to catch up Nightbane with Rifts; dozens of creatures and Nightland denizens and all kinds of twisted evil, but no Guardian and also no Wampyr Playable OCCs. So I thought I would just stat it out and see how it looked.

I'm actually more pleased with the components than the whole, tbh. I think I used the Energy Controller archetype to fill in a bit of this before and I was too lazy to start fresh, but it shows.

Awe Factor is actually Horror Factor built to the standard laid out in Rifts Ultimate Edition. 2p/rank may feel a little expensive for a power that only works once per oppoent and only for one round, but it's also Perception Area and doesn't use any Actions so it's big and puffy yet light and flavourful like a cheese doodle. You can also technically turn off a Reaction, so you can hold your Horror Factor to go off as part of a dramatic reveal. I kept it low rank to match the functional DC12 of the original design, but I think this might be fun in other PCs at a higher rank. Arraying it might be an idea, but I don't think it would be appropriate for that.

The Light Powers seemed to work right as a Dynamic Array. The original powers are all PPE driven, of course, but most have no top limit to them: Light Blast does 1d6 for EACH PPE you put into it, the Shield gives 5 SDC per point and even average rolls would get you way over 100 PPE (this one is built as 125) so you could easy do 1d6x100 SDC, basically Mega-Damage in a contemporary setting, although it would burn through your reserves fast. There's also a Nullify that counters spells, but it only works if you use more PPE than the spellcaster's spell and you don't know what the spell is so you essentially have to gamble your points every time. I would HATE to have to manage my points like that; I sort of get the risk/reward balance to it, but that is not my playstyle. Now Dynamic Array I normally don't like that much, but by comparison it's a cakewalk, and it sort of honours some of the original mechanics without the capacity to completely blow your wad on a missed shot. I calculated the Light and Shield ranks based on their maximum capability, put it through my chart conversion, and then adjusted both by a rank to fit the rest of the build. The power concepts all fit nicely in the DArray, but there's no reason I couldn't crank all of the powers up to 10 for no additional cost, although I like how it came out.

The Master Psionic Array is something new I've been trying out. I've been going through the Spells and Psionics in Rifts and statting them out, but I've also been experimenting with using them in a Wide Array. For those unfamiliar, it's somewhat similar to the Dynamic in that you can use more than one slot at a time, but it's set up so the slots are all a fixed size and you can only use up to the size of your Array Pool. It's usually recommended for use with Equipment Arrays, pulling out various fixed-cost tools and weapons, but making Rifts Spells and Psionics fixed-cost and putting them in a Wide Array "toolbox" seems to work really well. I've found that using Mind Block as a base psi is really effective since it technically can't be used with anything else, and then you can add around that.

This one is pretty simple, with only 4 Psis: Mind Block, Empathy, Presence Sense and See Aura. Mind Block as a straight Mental Effects Immunity is 10p**, but I also decided to add my own custom "Mind Veil" to it, which makes you invisible to psionics as well. That bumps the whole thing up to 14p, which is big enough to run any two of the other psis. Wide Arrays actually intend for you to add more points to the pool to make it bigger than any single power so you can run more than one, but I really like my Mind Block add-ons. Most psi-based characters start with at least 12, and mages roughly the same for spells, so I'm looking forward to seeing how those work.

The rest of the standalone are just kinda bugging me. I don't know if I want to group them up or just get rid of them. I'll just let it go for now. Sleep on it.

*that's right, pre-Cease & Desist from McFarlane.
**I have noticed Jabroniville using Immunity 20 for his Mental Effects for Mind Block. It's possible he's bumped it up since Psionics could be considered a Very Common Descriptor in Rifts Earth, which it is. OTOH, Mind Block only blocks psionics that get in your head; a big chunk of them are still physical or energy attacks, so I don't know if pure Psi attacks are as common as laser blasts or bludgeoning, On the 3rd hand, though, a bigger Mind Block would just make my Wide Array Psionics more flexible.
Last edited by JDRook on Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Sweet Guardians one of my favorites to play in Nightbane. the mystery behind them and their powers made for a fun adventure
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:51 am Sweet Guardians one of my favorites to play in Nightbane. the mystery behind them and their powers made for a fun adventure
Really? I've never had a chance to play one. What's your take on the unlimited light blast and shield, and the rest of the stuff I added in my notes?
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I'm totally unfamiliar with this character, can anyone enlight me?
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

It's a Racial Character Class in Palladium's Nightbane; in a contemporary setting of a shadow war with monsters and magic, psychics and conspiracies, the Guardians are mysterious supernatural beings who were once human but have traded their very identities and memories to be warriors against the darkness.

Physically, they are human-like but short (5' nuthin), often mistaken for albinos with their white skin and hair but lightly colored eyes. Their powers are mainly light-based, with blasts, shields, healing and nullifying magic. They also fly and are sometimes mistaken for angels. They are strange and disturbing to many, though, and are feared even by those they help.

So powerful and tragic and heroic and lost and mysterious. Neat, huh?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

yeah pretty much that the theme of the Guardians is light and mystery its implied that theyre powered by angels as a counter to the nightlords and possible the nightbane themselves as their powers do extra damage to both but theyre all good guys as alignments are scrupulous and principled mostly

A lot of the fluff also Implies that guardians have been around for a long time and may be responsible for some stories of UFOs ((mysterious lights in the sky etc)) people disappearing into alien ships ((may have an alien origin as well)) and so on

as for the shield and power yeah I think you got it pretty well its one of the quirks of conversion between Palladium and M&M where powers fed by PPE and such have to balance out since M&M doesn't use those mechanics
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
JDRook

Random Nightbane Rolls

Post by JDRook »

Lots of random tables actually used to be my favourite thing about Palladium and other RPGs, although even then I liked just digging through them to find the best stuff if I could. Now I like using them for occasional inspiration, but it's rare for stuff to work out thematically. Sometimes you get lucky though and it works out.

Using just the base book (there are 7 books now):

1st Roll: Appeaance Table > 81 > Inhuman Shape > 1 Stigmata and 1 Nightbane Characteristic

2nd Roll: Stigmata > 72 > Boils & Sores > 3d6 SDC and +2 HF

3rd Roll: NB Char > 99 > 4 MORE ROLLS!

4 thru 7 plus final rolls:
50 > Alien Shape > 73 > Unusual Skin Color, +1 HF
69 > Unnatural Limbs > 70 > Pseudopods, +22 SDC +1d4+2 HF
1 > Unusual Facial Features > 83 > No Face, 1d4 HF
24 > Biomechanical > 85 > Wheels or Treads, 2d4x10 Spd +3 PS +2 PE 3d6x10 SDC +1d4 HF

This is a good example, if not exactly typical. It's possible to get ten or more aspects on one Nightbane, although not likely; they usually range from 2-4, with occasionally less or more. It seems to be a pretty weird combo and I wasn't sure how to make it all come together until I realized this combo already exists: a faceless strangely coloured creature with treads and retractable pseudopods that is actually beloved by millions.

Of course, the Boils and Sores don't really fit with a droid, but otherwise it's a perfect fit, and now it adds a creepy organic horror aspect to it.

R2-Bobonic - 6th lvl - PL 9

Strength 5/2, Stamina 7/0, Agility 5/0, Dexterity 5/0, Fighting 7/0, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Advantages
Defensive Roll 2, Improved Critical 2: Unarmed, Improved Grab, Ranged Attack 2

Powers
Facade Abilities
. . Senses 4+1 ([Stacking ranks: +1], Detect: Nightspawn (mental)) 2: ranged, Extended: Mental 1: x10, Low-light Vision)
. . Slightly Tougher: Enhanced Stamina 2 (+2 STA)
Morphus (Activation: Move Action)
. . Horror Factor 12: Perception Area Affliction 2+5 ([Stacking ranks: +5], 1st degree: Dazed, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Stunned, Defenseless, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 17; Extras: Perception Area: DC 17 - Vision, Extra Condition, Reaction 3: reaction; Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited 2: Once per target per encounter, Limited Degree)
. . Immune to Transformation & Control: Immunity 10 (Alteration Effects, Custom: Mind Control 5)
. . Instinctive Martial Arts: Enhanced Trait 14 (Traits: Fighting +2 (+7), Parry +1 (+8), Dodge +3 (+8), Advantages: Defensive Roll 2, Improved Critical 2, Ranged Attack 2)
. . Mirror Walk: Movement 1 (Dimensional: Nightlands 1: one dimension, 50 lbs.; Extras: Affects Others; Flaws: Limited: Requires Mirror w/ Nightlands counterpart, Quirk: Tiring on Affects others)
. . More Powerful Form: Enhanced Trait 46 (Traits: Strength +3 (+5), Stamina +5 (+7), Agility +5 (+5), Fighting +5 (+7), Dexterity +5 (+5))
. . Morphus Eyes: Senses 1 (Extended: Vision 1: x10; Extras: Stacks with: Senses 4+1)
. . Pseudopods
. . . . Extra Limbs 4 (Linked; 4 extra limbs, Advantages: Improved Grab)
. . . . Multi-punch (Linked; Extras: Multiattack)
. . . . Tear through Flesh: Perception Area Affliction 5 (Linked; 1st degree: Dazed, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Stunned, Defenseless, Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Extras: Perception Area: DC 15 - Visual, Extra Condition, Reaction 3: reaction, Stacks with: Horror Factor 12: Perception Area Affliction 2+5; Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited 2: Once per target per encounter, Limited Degree)
. . Regeneration 4 (Every 2.5 rounds)
Nightbane Talents
. . Darksong Area: Concentration Perception Area Affliction 9 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 19; Extras: Perception Area: DC 19 - Hearing, Concentration, Selective; Flaws: Limited Degree)
. . Darkwhip
. . . . Elongation 3 (Linked; Flaws: Limited: Pseudopods)
. . . . Pseudopunches: Damage 11 (Linked; DC 26)
. . Infectious Control: Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Extras: Cumulative)
PPE pool: Feature 7 (Flaws: Custom 2: Base STA bonus)

Offense
Initiative +5
Darksong Area: Concentration Perception Area Affliction 9 (DC Fort 19)
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 15)
Horror Factor 12: Perception Area Affliction 2+5 (DC Fort 17)
Infectious Control: Cumulative Affliction 10, +7 (DC Will 20)
Pseudopunches: Damage 11, +7 (DC 26)
Tear through Flesh: Perception Area Affliction 5 (DC Will 15)
Throw, +7 (DC 20)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 20)

Defense
Dodge 8/5, Parry 8/7, Fortitude 7, Toughness 9/7, Will 1

Power Points
Abilities 6 + Powers 140 + Advantages 0 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 0 = 146
JDRook

Nightbane NPCs - Burger-Face

Post by JDRook »

The Nightbane characters are by definition wildly varied, so it can be hard to get a sense of what can be done with them in terms of character design. Rolling random like with R2-Bubonic above can work up to a point, but I thought I'd take an actual character from the setting and stat it out.
Nightbane - Burgerface.jpg
Nightbane - Burgerface.jpg (152.1 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
Burger-Face - Nightspawn NPC - PL 10

Strength 6/4, Stamina 6/4, Agility 1/0, Dexterity 2, Fighting 7/2, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 0 - 26p

Advantages - 5p
Assessment, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll, Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Skills - 9p (18 ranks)
Close Combat: Swords 3 (+10), Expertise: Streetwise 2 (+2), Ranged Combat: Pistols 5 (+7), Stealth 1 (+2), Technology 3 (+3), Treatment 2 (+2), Vehicles 2 (+4)

Powers

Athletic: Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round) - 1p

Darkblades (Easily Removable) - 10p
. . Paired Blades: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 25; Penetrating 10, Split: 2 targets)
. . Thrown: Damage 5 (DC 20; Increased Range: ranged, Penetrating 5; Diminished Range)

Morphus "True" Form (Activation: Move Action) - 41p
. . Enhanced Trait 37 (Traits: Strength +2 (+6), Stamina +2 (+6), Agility +1 (+1), Fortitude +3 (+9), Fighting +5 (+7), Dodge +4 (+8), Will +2 (+3), Advantages: Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5)
. . Stigmata - Burned: Immunity 5 (Damage Effect: Fire)

Nightspawn Physiology - 20p
. . Immunity 10 (Alteration Effects, Custom: Mind Control 5)
. . Mirrorwalk: Movement 1 (Dimensional: Nightlands 1: one dimension, 100 lbs.; Increased Mass; Custom: Medium - Mirror w/counterpart)
. . Regeneration 4 (Every 2.5 rounds)
. . Senses 4 (Detect: Choose Sense Type 2: ranged, Extended: Choose Sense 1: x10, Low-light Vision)

PPE Pool: Feature 8 (Custom 4: PE bonus) - 4p

Talents: Wide Array - 63p
. . Astral Self (Activation: Standard Action) [55]
. . . . Astral Form
. . . . . . Immaterial: Insubstantial 4 (Linked; Incorporeal; Increased Duration: continuous; Custom 3: PPE check, Quirk: Require PPE check to turn off as welll)
. . . . . . Unseen: Concealment 10 (Linked; All Senses; Increased Duration: continuous; Limited: Visible to Astral Travelers and others)
. . . . Flight/Project: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)
. . . . . . Astral Travel: Movement 1 (Alternate; Dimensional: CAstral Plane 1: one dimension, 50 lbs.)
. . . . See Invisble: Senses 2 (Counters Concealment: Invisible)
. . Darkwhip: Damage 7 (DC 22, Advantages: Improved Disarm, Improved Grab; Reach (melee) 12: 60 ft.; Custom 6: PPE Check) [15]
. . Doorway: Teleport 6 (Carry 50 lbs.; Extended: 60 miles in 2 move actions, Feature: Can also 'port to Nightlands with same limits; Activation 2: standard action, Custom 7: PPE check, Limited to Extended) [4]
. . Dreamer: Movement 1 (Dimensional: Dreamstream 1: one dimension, 50 lbs.; Increased Duration: continuous; Custom 4: PPE Check) [1]
. . Mirror Sight: Feature 1
. . Nightbringer [27]
. . . . Burst Area Immunity 10 (Linked; Common Descriptor: Energy; Burst Area 3: 120 feet radius sphere; Custom 5: PPE Check, Limited: not vs Shadow)
. . . . Environment 5 (Linked; Radius: 500 feet)
. . See Truth: Senses 5 (Detect: True Nature: Acute, Analytical, Ranged, Extended x10, Advantages: Assessment; Feature 3: +6 Insight; Custom 2: PPE Check) [7]
. . Shadow Slide (Activation: Free Action) [10]
. . . . Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Blending)
. . . . Insubstantial 1 (Fluid; Custom 3: Time 3 (1min); Custom 4: PPE Check)
. . . . Movement 1 (Slithering)
. . Soul Shield [33]
. . . . Mind Block: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Mental Effects; Increased Duration: continuous; Custom 2: PPE Check)
. . . . Mind Trap: Affliction 5 (3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Reaction 3: reaction; Limited Degree (third only))

Equipment
10 mm pistol (Light Pistol, silver bullets 1)

Offense
Initiative +1
10 mm pistol, +12 (DC 18)
Darkwhip: Damage 7, +7 (DC 22)
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 16)
Mind Trap: Affliction 5, +7 (DC Will 15)
Paired Blades: Strength-based Damage 4, +10 (DC 25)
Throw, +7 (DC 21)
Thrown: Damage 5, +7 (DC 20)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 21)

Complications
Monstrous: Character has a bizarre or frightneing form. They can hide it, but can't use most powers without it and can sometimes take a while to change.

Defense
Dodge 8/4, Parry 8, Fortitude 9/6, Toughness 10/6, Will 3/1

Power Points
Abilities 26 + Powers 139 + Advantages 5 + Skills 9 (17 ranks) + Defenses 4 = 183

- This is Burger-Face. As the first Nightbane with a name referred to in the book, he's not necessarily central to the setting, but is used in many of the pull-quote style story fragments scattered throughout the books. He's not statted out until World Book 2: Nightlands.

- His backstory has him as a young ex-con fresh out of prison with a lame job when Dark Day and his transformation hit. Previously Brian had always been unusually big and strong even as a child, and growing up in a "tough Chicago neighbourhood" he was always under pressure to use that strength in potentially criminal ways but trying to be a good kid. There's even a story of disarming a bully with a gun and shattering his arm at age 12, so even without powers he's almost too awesome. With his size and rep he constantly has trouble come rolling up on him, but because he usually wins he's also usually considered at fault by "the system." Trouble and disciplinary action keep him from graduating high school. On his 18th birthday he's mugged by 3 junkies with knives, accidentally injures one fatally in self-defense (dies in hospital), but gets manslaughter thanks to a lazy public defender. Prison ends up having similar problems, but strangely easier: he gets his GED and even more jacked, but kills another inmate who comes at him with a knife, which is fortunately only minimally investigated by the administration.

- After getting out and getting a cheap apartment and a job as a night dishwasher in a cafe, Dark Day happens while he's at work. Looters break in and knife him in the back (always with the knives!) when he tries to repel them, and is left for dead when they set fire to the place. That's when his Becoming occurs, giving him a face like a barbecue and superpowers, and while he's tempted to take what he wants while the city goes nuts, given the opportunity he still helps people instead of taking advantage of the chaos. He becomes semi-legendary, running into buring buildings (which don't bother him much now) and saving innocents. He also runs into mionions from the Nightlands, other Nightbane and eventually the Underground Railroad, one of the hidden long-established factions of Nightbanes and other paranormal types.

- Burger-Face is now one of the Leaders of the Resistance, more interested in directly opposing the Nightlords than hiding or researching. It makes him a good "man of action" leader-type to follow through the pull-quotes, and his powers allow him to travel easily to Nightlands as well as the Astral Plane and Dreamstream detailed in other books. He could potentially be a good guide or mentor for a PC group new to the game, althought he could also overshadow them if leaned on too much.

- Mechanically, he ends up being on par with a standard PL10, if overpointed. Palladium PS doesn't easily get out of human range, and his is bascially at untrained human max even in Facade form, but his bonuses push him up STR 6. Fighting gets a huge boost from a combination of the Nightbane PP bonus and the "natural martial arts" ability all Nightbane have, and B-F has it at level 8.

- Not a lot of skills and advantages. NPCs in Palladium usually just have "skills of note" as opposed to listing them all out, and often there are some below 50% success, so it doesn't translate well. Advantages don't have many obvious parallels, so it takes some conceptual digging to use them. For instance, I use Roll with Punch or Fall as Defensive Roll, but not 1:1 since some characters can get ridiculous levels of RwP.

- His Nightbane appearance bonuses are from a "new" stigmata not made available to players from the random tables in any of the books AFAIK. The SDC bonus is sizable (if only barely noticeable when translated) but the half damage from Fire is most useful. Horror Factor only hits 10, so I just used Daze:Intimidation, although he has 0 Intimidation as built.

- His Talents take up about a third of his total points, but most of that is Astral Self, a Talent from the first World book used to travel to the Astral Plane. The kicker is that it doesn't leave the body behind, and standard Palladium Astral Projection allows the astral form to fly around the solid world at Mach One, so even though you can't interact with the world, it's a great recon power, and being able to reform solid after travelling potentially hundreds of miles (Astral Self has no time limit, but requires PPE to change back) and even passing through walls can be pretty valuable, if not downright OP. Removing that, or just nerfing it down a bit could eaily save over 20p and get this build closer to a balanced PL10.

- Strangely, while he does just make PL10, it's only with the stolen Darkblades mentioned in his equipment, which I built as Devices since they are somewhat powerful ("cuts through anything" = Penetrating) and shouldn't be too common, although they are the standard weapon of many Nightlands minions. Part of that is the Weapon Proficiency bonus for Swords at 8th level, backed by all the STR. His "10mm pistol" (which has no listed damage and I can't find in the 8 pages of guns in the back) is presumably PL8 at best and even his Darkwhip kinda tops out at PL7 unless he burns out all his PPE fast; HTH is PL6.5. Defensively he's PL9, at least 3 levels due to high level martial arts in NB form, with a lot of Parry/Dodge bonuses and 4 ranks of Defensive Roll; Fort is pretty high and Will is surprisingly low, but Soul Shield should help that. In Facade form he's still PL 7 since he can still wield those swords, pistol is PL5, hth is PL3 and defensively he's still PL6.

- Overall he's a pretty good character with a wide range of powers if not skills, tough enough to easily match most minions (may actually try mocking up a 20-to-1 Hound fight mentioned in the book) and potentially face some of the bigger evil solo. If transferred to a standard supers game I figure he'd be on par with the Warrior and Weapon Master Archetypes.
JDRook

Nightbane NPCs - Hound

Post by JDRook »

Nightbane - Hound.jpg
Nightbane - Hound.jpg (94.92 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
That may be a metallic exoskeleton, but is it as metal as that hair?

Hound lvl 4 - PL 8

Strength 5, Stamina 5, Agility 1, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect -1, Awareness 4, Presence 0

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Close Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Athletics

Skills
Athletics 5 (+10), Close Combat: Darkblade 2 (+6), Intimidation 8 (+8), Perception 1 (+5), Ranged Combat: Throw 6 (+6)

Powers

Hound Physiology - 52p
. . Comprehend 1 (Languages - Understand All) [2]
. . Horror Factor 13: Perception Area Affliction 3 (1st degree: Dazed, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Stunned, Defenseless, Resisted by: Will, DC 13; Extras: Perception Area: DC 13 - Visual, Extra Condition, Reaction 3: reaction; Flaws: Custom 2: Once per target per encounter, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree) [6]
. . Metallic Exoskeleton: Impervious Toughness 5 (Flaws: Limited: not vs magic or supernatural attacks) [3]
. . Partial Invulnerability: Immunity 81 (Aging, Toughness Effects; Flaws: Limited: only non-magical weapons and attacks, Limited - Half Effect) [27]
. . Regenerative Trance: Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds; Extras: Persistent; Flaws: Custom: Trance) [1]
. . Smell Supernatural: Senses 3 (Detect: Supernatural, Scent 2: ranged, Tracking: Scent 1: -1 speed rank) [3]
. . Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round) [1]
. . True Sight: Senses 9 (Counters All Concealment: Visual, Counters Illusion: Visual, Low-light Vision, Tracking: Visual 1: -1 speed rank) [9]

HTH Assassin lvl 4: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 21, Extra: Stacks with Darkblade; Advantages: Accurate Attack, Close Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Power Attack, Skill Mastery) - 7p

Darkblade (Easily Removable (indestructible)) - 8p
. . Melee Blade: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 24; Extras: Penetrating 9) [11]
. . Thrown Blade: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 24; Extras: Increased Range: ranged [6 extra ranks], Penetrating 9; Flaws: Limited: must retrieve after throwing [6 extra ranks]) [1]

Offense
Initiative +1
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 15)
Horror Factor 13: Perception Area Affliction 3 (DC Will 13)
HTH Assassin lvl 4: Strength-based Damage 1, +5 (DC 21)
Melee Blade: Strength-based Damage 3, +7 (DC 24)
Throw, +6 (DC 20)
Thrown Blade: Strength-based Damage 3, +6 (DC 24)
Unarmed, +5 (DC 20)

Complications
Disability - Mute: Built to serve, they understand all languages but do not speak.
Weakness: Takes extra degree of damage from magic artifacts, weapons, Talents and powers/spells.

Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7/5, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 67 + Advantages 0 + Skills 11 (24 ranks) + Defenses 6 = 120

The shock troops of the Nightlords! I actually really like how these guys turned out, and not just because they came out as a balanced PL8. Technically they have defensive PL of 5.5 (4.5 if you surprise them), but the half-damage from non-magical attack combined with only 5 ranks of Impervious means they can completely ignore any conventional attack rank 7 or under, which covers up to heavy machine gun fire. On the other hand, magic and Talents are super-effective, so your Nightbane and urban mages can feel like badasses after they see a squad of hounds take out a whole SWAT team and their APC. The big question is whether supernatural strength punches are considered "magical attacks" and can ignore both the half-damage and the Impervious; from the specific wording, I have to assume it wouldn't trigger the extra damage (double damage in the book). If so, the average Nightbane rocking a STR 5 would be on par with a single hound and take about 10 hits to drop him with punches and routine checks, but if not they'll have to get out some tricks to get past the armor.

Their Darkblades push to PL8 when you stack up their STR, Blade Damage and the extra damage I added from Attacks per Melee under HTH Assassin, coming in at 8 close and 7.5 when thrown. The Penetrating 9 will be fully effectively against anything with less than Impervious 19, which should allow for things like "opening tanks like sardine cans." The question for this one is whether the Darkblades are considered magic weapons. The blades are obviously useful enough that Nightbane stealing them is the norm (Burger-Face has two and even the cover art Nightbane has one) and "cuts through anything" should apply to the hounds themselves. If a Darkblade can ignore Hound defenses and even trigger their Complication, the average Nightbane from above could slice through a Hound with 2 routine hits; really strengthens the "just make them minions" argument at that point.

It also makes the Darkblades incredibly useful as loot, so it almost feels like they shouldn't be so easy to get. I was converting some cultists for someone in another game and they had Affects Insubstantial daggers that did Incurable damage for reasons that weren't elaborated on, so I came up with this concept of "bonding" the cultists to the daggers so they couldn't leave them behind, and when they died they became wraiths that were also tied to the daggers and could be summoned from them. I don't know if I'd go that far, but some kind of binding so that the blade disintegrates on the Hound's death might be interesting, or some kind of mystic GPS goes off in a stolen Blade and makes the PC an easy target for other minions.

Beyond the blades, the Hounds are decent unarmed fighters with a balance PL5.5 both offensively and defensively. They could probably go toe-to-toe with most newbie Nightbane but not likely an experienced one or a group. Fortunately they rarely travel alone, and their hunting skills and senses would likely keep them from getting ambushed easily.

Hound lvl 3 Average tuned - PL 8

Strength 5, Stamina 5, Agility 1, Dexterity 0, Fighting 7/3, Intellect -2, Awareness 2, Presence -2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll, Fearless, Improved Critical: Darkblade, Tracking

Skills
Athletics 5 (+10), Intimidation 10 (+8), Perception 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Throw 7 (+7)

Powers
Darkblade (Easily Removable (indestructible))
. . Melee Blade: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 21; Extras: Dangerous, Penetrating 6)
. . Thrown Blade: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 21; Extras: Dangerous, Increased Range: ranged [6 extra ranks], Penetrating 6; Flaws: Limited: must retrieve after throwing [6 extra ranks])
Hound Physiology
. . Big: Growth 1 (+1 STR, +1 STA, -1 Stealth, -1 active defenses, +1 mass rank; Extras: Innate; Flaws: Permanent)
. . Comprehend 1 (Languages - Understand All)
. . Horror Factor 13: Perception Area Affliction 3 (1st degree: Dazed, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Stunned, Defenseless, Resisted by: Will, DC 13; Extras: Perception Area: DC 13 - Visual, Extra Condition, Reaction 3: reaction; Flaws: Custom 2: Once per target per encounter, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree)
. . Metallic Exoskeleton: Impervious Toughness 5 (Flaws: Limited: not vs magic or supernatural attacks)
. . Partial Invulnerability: Immunity 81 (Aging, Toughness Effects; Flaws: Limited: only non-magical weapons and attacks [80 ranks only], Limited - Half Effect [80 ranks only])
. . Regernerative Trance: Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds; Extras: Persistent; Flaws: Custom: Trance)
. . Speed 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
. . Supernatural Tracking: Senses 3 (Detect: Supernatural, Scent 2: ranged, Tracking: Scent 1: -1 speed rank, Advantages: Tracking)
. . True Sight: Senses 9 (Counters All Concealment: Visual, Counters Illusion: Visual, Low-light Vision, Tracking: Visual 1: -1 speed rank)
HTH Assassin 3rd level: Enhanced Trait 15 (Traits: Fighting +4 (+7), Dodge +4 (+5), Advantages: Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll)
WP Swords & Polearms: Enhanced Trait 1 (Advantages: Improved Critical)

Offense
Initiative +1
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 15)
Horror Factor 13: Perception Area Affliction 3 (DC Will 13)
Melee Blade: Strength-based Damage 1, +9 (DC 21)
Throw, +7 (DC 20)
Thrown Blade: Strength-based Damage 1, +7 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 20)

Complications
Disability - Mute: Built to serve, they understand all languages but do not speak.
Weakness: Takes extra degree of damage from magic artifacts, weapons, Talents and powers/spells.

Defense
Dodge 5/1, Parry 6, Fortitude 5, Toughness 6/5, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 20 + Powers 79 + Advantages 3 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Defenses 3 = 118

A retooled and trimmed Hound using a new interpretation on Attack Per Melee conversion and a few other small improvements to make it both more playable and easier to read. Still PL6 defensively, although that's very situational with the partial invulnerablility to non-magic. The nature of PL vs the extra bonuses to Attack and Damage from WPs and weapons made the Hounds' offensive PL go up 3 levels wielding a Darkblade compared to their supernatural unarmed attacks, which isn't terrible for minions, but I decided to lower the damage and swap some Attack for Improved Crit so it only just reaches PL8. Also adjusted the mental attributes to be more animal-like, actually very close to the Wolf in the handbook.

Before I'd been thinking about testing the Hound build against Burger-Face (who also needs a revamp), but now I'm wondering about facing off against the Freedom League or the Sentinels; a horde of Hounds might actually be challenging for them.
Last edited by JDRook on Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JDRook

Nightbane NPCs - Falcon Red, Human Mystic

Post by JDRook »

Nightbane -  Falcon Red, Huamn Mystic.jpg
Nightbane - Falcon Red, Huamn Mystic.jpg (113.27 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
Falcon Red, Human Mystic lvl 6 - PL 6

Strength 1, Stamina 3, Agility 2, Dexterity 1, Fighting 1, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 3

Advantages
Assessment, Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 3, Improved Critical: Unarmed, Languages 1, Ranged Attack 2

Skills
Expertise: Magic 6 (+7), Expertise: Vampire Lore 2 (+3), Ranged Combat: Guns 1 (+2), Sleight of Hand 1 (+2), Treatment 3 (+4)

Powers

HTH Basic Training: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 18, Advantages: Defensive Roll 2, Improved Critical) -5p
Darkblade: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 19; Extras: Penetrating 7)

PPE Pool: Feature 6 (Flaws: Custom 3: PE bonus) - 3p
Magic: Wide Array - 27p
. . Befuddle: Progressive Affliction 3 (1st degree: Dazed & Impaired, 2nd degree: Dazed & Impaired, 3rd degree: Dazed & Impaired, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 13; Extras: Extra Condition, Increased Range 2: perception, Progressive; Flaws: Custom 3: PPE Check)
. . Blinding Flash: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 3 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, DC 13; Extras: Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 13, Cumulative; Flaws: Custom: PPE Check)
. . Call Ligthning: Damage 6 (DC 21; Extras: Increased Range 2: perception; Flaws: Custom 4: PPE Check)
. . Calling: Mental Communication 3 (DC 13; Extras: Increased Duration: continuous; Flaws: Custom 3: PPE Check, Limited: Broadcast Only, One Simple Message, Quirk: 30min per activation, Resistible: Fortitude)
. . Compulsion: Progressive Affliction 6 (3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 16; Extras: Increased Range 2: perception, Progressive; Flaws: Custom 5: PPE Check, Limited: One Suggestion, Limited Degree (third only))
. . Detect Concealment: Burst Area Nullify 3 (Counters: Mystical Concealment, DC 13; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 13, Selective, Simultaneous; Flaws: Custom 3: PPE Check, Reduced Range: close)
. . EnergyéFire Bolt: Damage 5 (DC 20; Extras: Accurate 2: +4, Increased Range: ranged, Variable Descriptor: close group - EnergyéFire; Flaws: Custom 3: PPE Check)
. . Fingers of the Wind: Move Object 1 (100 lbs.; Extras: Increased Duration: continuous, Increased Range: perception, Precise, Subtle: subtle; Flaws: Custom 3: PPE Check, Quirk: 4.5 min per activation)
. . Globe of Daylight: Environment 1 (Light (Bright), Radius: 30 feet; Extras: Feature: True Daylight, Increased Duration: continuous, Precise, Selective; Flaws: Custom: PPE Check)
. . Ignite Fire: Damage 3 (DC 18; Extras: Increased Duration 3: continuous, Increased Range 2: perception; Flaws: Custom 3: PPE Check)
. . Sense Nightbane: Senses 3 (Detect: Nightbane 2: ranged, Radius: ; Extras: Increased Duration: continuous; Flaws: Custom 2: PPE Check, Quirk: 6min per activation)
. . Superhuman Strength: Enhanced Trait 20 (Traits: Strength +5 (+6), Stamina +5 (+8); Extras: Custom 5: Time 5 (4min), Feature: Self or Others by touch; Flaws: Custom 4: PPE Check, Limited: Does not increase over 5)
. . Thunderclap: Burst Area Affliction 4 (1st degree: Dazed, Impaired, 2nd degree: Stunned, Disabled, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 14; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 14, Extra Condition, Feature: Can be heard a mile away,; Flaws: Custom 2: PPE Check, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree, Sense-dependent: Hearing)

ISP Pool: Feature 6 (Flaws: Custom: ME bonus) - 5p
Psionic Powers: Wide Array - 23p
. . Clairvoyance/Divniation: Senses 4 (Precognition; Flaws: Custom 2: ISP Check)
. . Exorcism
. . . . Expel Entity: Nullify 10 (Linked; Counters: Possession, DC 20; Flaws: Custom 4: ISP Check, Custom: Slow (Trance))
. . . . Weaken Entity: Broad Weaken 2 (Linked; Affects: Possessing Entity's Powers, Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Broad: Possessing Entity's Powers; Flaws: Limited: Nullify must succeed, Slow: Trance)
. . Mediumship/Clairsentience: Comprehend 2 (Spirits - Communicate, Spirits - Medium, Advantages: Connected, Contacts; Flaws: Custom: Slow (Trance), Custom 2: ISP Check)
. . Psychic Diagnosis/Surgery: Enhanced Trait 9 (Traits: Treatment +18 (+22); Flaws: Custom: Slow (Trance), Custom 4: ISP Check)
. . See Aura: Senses 5 (Acute (Type): , Awareness: Possession, Detect: Arcane Energies 2: ranged, Advantages: Assessment; Extras: Feature 3: +6 Insight, Increased Duration: continuous; Flaws: Custom 3: ISP Check, Quirk: 30sec)
. . Sense Evil: Senses 4 (Detect: Supernatural Evil 2: ranged, Radius: , Tracking: 1: -1 speed rank; Extras: Increased Duration: continuous; Flaws: Custom: ISP Check, Quirk: Duration limited to 12min per activation)
. . Telepathy
. . . . Mental Communication 2
. . . . Mind Reading: Mind Reading 5 (DC 15; Extras: Subtle: subtle; Flaws: Custom 2: ISP Check)
Sense Ley Lines and Nexus Points: Senses 2 (Detect: Ley KLines (sight) 2: ranged)
Sixth Sense: Senses 3 (Danger Sense: , Detect: Imminent Threat, Mental 2: ranged; Flaws: Custom: ISP Check)

Equipment
Custom Headquarters, Audio Recorder, Darkblade, Heavy Pistol (.45) Damage 4, Shotgun Damage 5.

Offense
Initiative +2
Befuddle: Progressive Affliction 3 (DC Fort/Will 13)
Blinding Flash: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 3 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 13)
Call Ligthning: Damage 6 (DC 21)
Compulsion: Progressive Affliction 6 (DC Will 16)
Darkblade: Strength-based Damage 3, +1 (DC 19)
Detect Concealment: Burst Area Nullify 3 (DC Will 13)
Energy/Fire Bolt: Damage 5, +7 (DC 20)
Expel Entity: Nullify 10, +3 (DC Will 20)
Fingers of the Wind: Move Object 1 (DC 11)
Grab, +1 (DC Spec 11)
HTH Basic Training: Strength-based Damage 2, +1 (DC 18)
Ignite Fire: Damage 3 (DC 18)
Mind Reading: Mind Reading 5 (DC Will 15)
Throw, +3 (DC 16)
Thunderclap: Burst Area Affliction 4 (DC Fort 14)
Unarmed, +1 (DC 16)
Weaken Entity: Broad Weaken 2, +1 (DC Will 12)

Languages
Darktongue, Native English

Defense
Dodge 3, Parry 2, Fortitude 3, Toughness 5/3, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 26 + Powers 67 + Advantages 6 + Skills 7 (13 ranks) + Defenses 5 = 111

- Falcon Red is a part of the Nocturnes, a charming trickstery mystic who grew up in a weird commune in Canada. His silver tongue and intuition have been more useful than his magic and physical abliites.

- As an example NPC build, you can see how magic and psionics takes up about half the total point cost and leaves an ordinary human mystic a bit of a glass cannon. F-Red here has some good offensive options at PL6 with Call Lightning and both Bolts available (built as 1 spell slot with Variable Descriptor) and possibly Superhuman Strength, bumping up STR up to 5 ranks and Toughness & Fort to an effective 7. He's going to be more effective in support roles like intel, though. Less likely to overshadow PCs in terms of power than someone like Burger-Fce, but could either lean to fun or annoying depending on how well the GM plays him.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Snake Bird - PL 5
Nightbane = Snake Bird.jpg
Nightbane = Snake Bird.jpg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 2, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Advantages
Assessment, Daze (Intimidation), Favored Environment: Aerial, Power Attack, Ritualist

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+5/+3), Expertise: Magic 6 (+7), Intimidation 3 (+3), Stealth 0 (+5)

Powers
Attacks per Melee: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 16; Extras: Stacks with: Claws: Strength-based Damage 3+1, Stacks with: Bite: Strength-based Damage 2+1)

Magic (Advantages: Ritualist)
PPE Pool: Feature 7
Spells: Variable 4 (Extras: Action: move; Flaws: Custom: Preapproved List of Spells)
Fire / Energy Bolt (Powers: Fire / Energy Bolt: Damage 6)
Fire / Energy Bolt: Damage 6 (DC 21; Extras: Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged, Variable Descriptor: close group - Fire / Energy; Flaws: Custom 3: PPE Check, Quirk: 6th rank only near Nexus)
See Aura (Powers: Enhanced Trait 5, Senses 4, Advantages: Assessment)
Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Insight +10 (+11); Flaws: Limited: Only for Assessment and Detect Influence Check [4 ranks only])
Senses 4 (Detect: Magic (Sight) 1, Detect: Psionics (Sight) 1, Detect: PPE (Sight) 1, Detect: Aberration (Sight) 1; Extras: Increased Duration: continuous; Flaws: Custom 3: PPE Check, Quirk: 1 melee / lvl)

Natural Attacks
Claws: Strength-based Damage 3+1 ([Stacking ranks: +1], DC 19)
Poison Bite
Bite: Strength-based Damage 2+1 (Linked; [Stacking ranks: +1], DC 18)
Poison: Damage 2 (Linked; DC 17; Extras: Alternate Resistance: Fortitude, Increased Duration 2: sustained; Flaws: Injected)

Snake Bird Physiology
Bonuses in Flight: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Close Combat +2 (+5), Dodge +2 (+5), Advantages: Power Attack; Flaws: Limited: while Flying)
Feeds on Magic Energy: Immunity 1 (Starvation & Thirst)
Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round, Advantages: Favored Environment: Aerial; Flaws: Wings)
Long & Lean: Enhanced Trait 6 (Traits: Dodge +2 (+5), Parry +2 (+4), Stealth +4 (+5); Extras: Feature 3: Size Rank -3, mass -1; Flaws: Permanent)
Regeneration 4 (Every 2.5 rounds)
Senses 4 (Detect: Supernatutal Creatures 2: ranged, Extended: Visual 1: x10, Low-light Vision)

Power Settings
Befuddle (Powers: Affliction 2)
Fire / Energy Bolt (Powers: Fire / Energy Bolt: Damage 6)
Heal Wounds (Powers: Healing 4)
Invisibility: Simple (Powers: Concealment 4)
See Aura (Powers: Enhanced Trait 5, Senses 4, Advantages: Assessment)
See Invisible (Powers: Senses 2)
Telekinesis (Powers: Move Object 3)

Offense
Initiative +1
Affliction 2, +1 (DC Fort 12)
Attacks per Melee: Strength-based Damage 1, +2 (DC 16)
Bite: Strength-based Damage 2+1, +5 (DC 18)
Claws: Strength-based Damage 3+1, +5 (DC 19)
Fire / Energy Bolt: Damage 6, +3 (DC 21)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 10)
Move Object 3 (DC 13)
Poison: Damage 2, +5 (DC Fort 17)
Throw, +1 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +5 (DC 15)

Languages
Native Dragonese + 2 languages

Defense
Dodge 5/1, Parry 4/2, Fortitude 2, Toughness 2, Will 1

Power Points
Abilities 16 + Powers 71 + Advantages 3 + Skills 5 (10 ranks) + Defenses 0 = 95

- One of the more interesting nonhuman PC options is the Snake Bird, native to the Waste in the Nightlands. They are relatively small (15-20lb), although they are 4-5 feet long with double that in wingspan. They are sentient, speak at least 3 languages and have magic similar to a Mystic but without the psionics.

- Is mostly a PL4 character both offensively and defensively, maybe a little more with the Aerial Favored Environment bonus. Depending on spell choices, that can go up to PL6.

- I've incuded a few sample spells in this build using the Variable power settings. More spells can be acquired without needing more power points, but more powerful spells may require a bigger variable. Generally speaking, 1 Variable rank per spell level is usually sufficient.
JDRook

Original Character - Bolt

Post by JDRook »

Bolt - PL 10

Strength 3, Stamina 5, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 4, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Improved Critical 2: Unarmed, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Athletics 5 (+8), Expertise: Aircraft 6 (+8), Expertise: Military 4 (+6), Technology 8 (+10), Vehicles 8 (+12)

Powers

7 Attacks per Melee (Advantages: Close Attack 2, Ranged Attack 2) - 4p

Energy Expulsion: Electricity: Damage 6 (DC 21; Extras: Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged, Split: 2 targets) - 14p

Extraordinary Speed (Advantages: Accurate Attack, Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge) - 12p
. . Speed 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)
. . Speed Strike: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 19)

Invulnerability - 101p
. . Breathe w/o Air: Immunity 2 (Suffocation (All))
. . Damage Resistance: Immunity 80 (Toughness Effects)
. . Fortitiude Resistance: Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects; Flaws: Limited - Half Effect)
. . Superhuman Strength: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR; Flaws: Limited to Lifting)

Offense
Initiative +8
Energy Expulsion: Electricity: Damage 6, +8 (DC 21)
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 13)
Speed Strike: Strength-based Damage 1, +6 (DC 19)
Throw, +6 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 18)

Complications
Weakness: Mostly magic: Magic spells and weapons have full effect, although energy-based magic damage is still fully resisted. Takes half damage from supernatural attacks.
Scents-less: The side effect of the experiment means Bolt doesn't have to breathe, but also has no sense of smell or taste.

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8/5/Immune, Will 2

Power Points
Abilities 54 + Powers 127 + Advantages 8 + Skills 16 (31 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 215

Going through my old Palladium books reminded me of one of my first characters, rebuilt and translated here mostly from memory, so by no means a perfect copy. The picture is also not him; I never could draw and never had a good description of him, but in my mind the picture I found above is pretty close.

I was going full random and I got the Experiment with 1 Major/2 minor powers, which were Invulnerability, Extraordinary Speed and Energy Expulsion: Electricity, so the name "Bolt" seemed to fit all of those aspects well. I think he was a chemical accident that got Breathe Without Air as a side effect, although I don't remember any of the other random details. His attributes were nothing special, with the powers doing all the work. I recall rehashing him using the revised rules later which made him a little stronger. Being invulnerable I got the idea of being a reusable kamikaze pilot (I was young and foolish) so with his education I made him Military with Piloting and Mechanics, working with the RAF (he randomly rolled as British).

All told he converts over pretty expensive largely due to Invul being around 100p by itself. The Electric Blast comes out as PL6, but that's mostly due to my conversion chart translating most conventional damage in Palladium to 6 ranks or under. Extraordinary Speed is probably the most flexible power, giving all kinds of combat bonuses and decent mobility, as well as bumping up his defensive PL to 10.

I don't know if Bolt would be allowed in a lot of games since Full Toughness Immunity can be tricky to work around. I specifically recall my friend GMing a solo game for me with Bolt just falling asleep and waking up in a magic world so he could take advantage of his few weaknesses. He even has a wizard show up and "fix" his side effect so he'd have to breathe again. Generally I just had him running around being a human battering ram and talking like a Monty Python reject. Good times.

I could probably make him a playable PL10/150p with a little tweaking. The big question is whether I trim down his Toughness Immunity to Half or just swap it out for Impervious Protection to a high rank. OTOH, I could see keeping him as is, maybe acting as an "elder statesman" kind of hero like Superman, Centurion or All Might, although he'd need more Presence.
JDRook

The QCG 20 - the re20ing

Post by JDRook »

I had a project where I just made characters using the QCG assuming every random d20 roll was the same number, giving me 20 different PC builds that I would not normally make but most of them grew on me. I have them on Ronin Army but after the weeks-long blackout there, I feel like I should move stuff over here in earnest.

QCG Project - The Twenty
1 Battlesuit - Victor Primeaux and the Unity Suit
2 Construct - The Guardian known as II
3 Crime Fighter - Tripplehorn
4 Elemental - Calliope the Pneumoid
5 Energy Controller - Cosmic Girl - Penelope Quinn
6 Gadgeteer - Hector Krawczynski - Professor Hex
7 Martial Artist
8 Mimic
9 Mystic
10 Paragon - The Phantom Jenny
11 Powerhouse