Jab's Dinosaur Builds!: Plateosaurus! Europasaurus!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Beavers! Capybara! Giant Rodents!)

Post by Ken »

Davies wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 am The rabbit has a charming face:
Its private life is a disgrace.
I really dare not name to you
The awful things that rabbits do;
Things that your paper never prints--
You only mention them in hints.
They have such lost, degraded souls
No wonder they inhabit holes;
When such depravity is found
It only can live underground.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ken wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:52 pm
Yes, as someone who lives in a basement suite, I find that observation utterly fascinating and worthwhile. :x
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Davies wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:25 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:52 pm
Yes, as someone who lives in a basement suite, I find that observation utterly fascinating and worthwhile. :x
“Rabbit underground, rabbit safe and sound.”
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I have no idea what y’all are referencing, but I did pick up on one Watership Down reference, lol.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:55 am I have no idea what y’all are referencing, but I did pick up on one Watership Down reference, lol.
It's just an anonymous poem about rabbits. As a basement dweller, Davies seems to have an issue with it. As a basement dweller, myself, I didn't see the point in censoring the poem. Better to not say anything and pique people's curiosity.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Rabbit

Post by Jabroniville »

Awwwwwww, bunnies are so cute I want to pet one--

AAAAAAIAIIEEIEIEIEIAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

RABBIT
Role:
Friendly Forest Critter, Urban Pest
PL 1 (25)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5
Normal Version:
PL 0
STRENGTH -4 STAMINA -3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 1 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 11 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Perception 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack 3, Improved Initiative 2

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Fleet Feet" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Tiny Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (1 foot) [17]
(-2 Strength, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness -3, Fortitude +0, Will +1

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Animals cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Enemy (Every Predator Ever)- Small creatures, Lagomorphs are easily-victimized by stronger animals- anything Fox-sized or larger is a deadly threat. Even tiny Weasels can deliver killing blows. Hares must use their great speed and maneuverability to escape.

Total: Abilities: -18 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 3 (25)

-Rabbits are famous, particularly in European folklore, said to be clever, quick and nimble. They were famously good eating, and the meat was quite pricey- the phrase "Let the cat out of the bag", meant to reveal something, is actually a reference to deceptive hunters killing and selling CATS as "rabbits", owing to similar sizes and body types when skinned. East Asian cultures see a rabbit in the shadows prominent on the Moon- it's seen as hammering a mortar and pestle. The species number in the dozens, but most are like this. Shorter and rounder than Hares tend to be, they are ideal for the climates of Europe & North America.

-Rabbits are pretty wimpy, but above Rats & Mice for sure, and are still incredibly fast animals, and fight-y enough to justify Watership Down.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Beavers! Capybara! Giant Rodents! Rabbits!)

Post by catsi563 »

One of the best moments for me in Watership down was the one picutred above. Bigwig fighting for his life against woundwort has baically told him to sod off and come get some more. Woundwort tells him to surrender and Bigwig tells him flat out "' My Chief rabbit has told me to defend this warren.""

and you can see Woundwort practically pee his little bunny pants. Bigwigs been giving him what for and now theres BIGGER NASTIER rabbit that he calls Chief???? he goes on to keep fighting but that brief horrified moment that shakes his confidence royally is just gold
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ah rabbit.
We have a jackrabbit that lives around the hospital where I work. The thing is an absolute genius at camouflage.
The only giant brown lump in a lush green lawn ;~)
Jabroniville

Hare

Post by Jabroniville »

HARE
Role:
Friendly Forest Critter, Urban Pest
PL 1 (29)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6
Normal Version:
PL 0
FIGHTING 1 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 14 (+10)
Close Combat (Bite) 1 (+5)
Perception 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack 4, Improved Initiative 2

Powers:
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Fleet Feet" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Bite +5 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness -3, Fortitude +0, Will +1

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Animals cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Enemy (Every Predator Ever)- Small creatures, Lagomorphs are easily-victimized by stronger animals- anything Fox-sized or larger is a deadly threat. Even tiny Weasels can deliver killing blows. Hares must use their great speed and maneuverability to escape.

Total: Abilities: -18 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 3 (29)

Era: Modern Day
Range: Europe
Stereotypes: Friendly creatures. Promiscuous and lascivious.
Colouring: White, grey, brown, black
Size: About 2 feet long (5-15 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary (Rabbits form large Warrens).
Diet: Grass & vegetation.
Tactics: Flee at all costs, rarely biting savagely with rodent teeth.

-Rabbits and Hares, while quite small, are fightier than you'd think, often engaging each other in vicious, long "boxing" brawls (I've seen a couple do this at the local University- the fight went on for a good five minutes, with fur LITERALLY flying everywhere). Rabbits have been known to fend off Domestic Cats and even some dogs, as their teeth are sharp and they can go all-out pretty easily, but in general, they're best left to their considerable Speed, Perception and Athletics scores- if they're in the lead, they'll often escape their major predators. A Hare is a better fighter and more athletic than a Rabbit, and tends to live in deserts and things like that- Rabbits' chubby, furry bodies are idealized for colder or more temperate climates.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

they also have nasty claws

Catsi stories
Zephrosyne

Post by Zephrosyne »

Jab, I just wanna give props for these animal builds, I really enjoy them just as I did the first set you did (I believe it was on the old board). I love the educational trivia tidbits. By the way, I know this isn't your comic book build thread but I still want another Tournament Of Suck!!! We are well past due, lol. You know you wanna.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Zephrosyne wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:38 am Jab, I just wanna give props for these animal builds, I really enjoy them just as I did the first set you did (I believe it was on the old board). I love the educational trivia tidbits. By the way, I know this isn't your comic book build thread but I still want another Tournament Of Suck!!! We are well past due, lol. You know you wanna.
lol, thanks. It's been 5+ years since I last did Animal Builds, and I think I've left them mostly unchanged, safe for filling in the blanks with stuff I missed.

But man, the Tournament of Suck was sooooooooo much work, lol. Just ages and ages of it, I recall. And people questioning my tactics (mainly the fact that I didn't use any, I think).
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Another clever squ'll puzzle.

I hope that they don't move here.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Pika

Post by Jabroniville »

PIKA
Role:
Friendly Forest Critter
PL 1 (23)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5
Normal Version:
PL 0
FIGHTING 1 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 9 (+5)
Perception 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack 3, Improved Initiative 2

Powers:
"Fleet Feet" Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Mountains) [2]

Offense:
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness -3, Fortitude +0, Will +1

Complications:

Total: Abilities: -18 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 23 / Defenses: 3 (23)

-The little-known, rodent-looking Pikas are actually part of the Lagomorphs, and are possibly the inspiration for Pikachu of Pokemon fame. Tiny, round, and adorable, they inhabit rugged mountain habitat in the Northern U.S., Canada & Eurasia, which might explain why they're not famous at all. Requiring cold temperatures to live, they may die in places about 25.5 Celsius. There are thirty different species of Pika, which are known for high-pitched squeals to warn of predators. They are similar to rabbits, but slower.
Jabroniville

Insectivora & Close Matches

Post by Jabroniville »

THE FORMER ORDER OF INSECTIVORA:
-The naming of things can be a messy business- as humans, it's in our nature to just slap names onto and categorize EVERYTHING. And when a bunch of stuff kinda looked similar, or seemed to "fit", the Order name "Insectivora" was added to it (because animals like Shrews & Moles were similar, and ate insects and worms and stuff), and they were done.

But it turns out a lot of this stuff isn't that closely related. In biology, this was often referred to as a "Wastebasket Taxon"- a place where things that didn't seem to fit anywhere else were dumped. Not that the term "Order" means anything other than "this is a bunch of stuff descended from the same stuff". Most of these creatures are quite small, unimpressive, and not very famous. A couple are beloved (the Hedgehogs in particular are famously-cute, are sold in the pet trade, and give their name to one of video gaming's greatest mascots), while many are extremely hated (Shrews are hideous, weird-looking creatures). Moles are famous diggers, too.

Animals once considered a part of this Order:
* Shrews
* Tenrecs
* Desmans
* Hedgehogs
* Moles
* Golden Moles
* Otter Shrews
* Elephant Shrews

I'll probably post these pretty quickly, because they're pretty minor-ass creatures, and largely similar to my Rodent builds. Despite this set taking me like a WEEK to do, lol.