The World In The Aftermath (Formerly A World Less Magical)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: A World Less Magical But No Less Fantastic

Post by Davies »

Ariel
Her self-image/past life's appearance
Her current life's appearance

Elsewhere in the multiverse, there is a land ruled by a magic-wielding aristocratic elite, who reign over a largely non-magical peasantry. Rossandra Colleyne was the heir to one of the larger and wealthier regions of this land, and her family had arranged her engagement to the heir of another domain's ruler. Rossandra had no romantic ideals about this relationship; it was a political match, to be set aside if a better situation ever arose for either party. However, at the start of her final year at the Grand Academy where all magic-users were trained in the use of their powers, she was startled to learn that her fiance had been seen in the company of a young woman hailed as a magical prodigy who had arisen from the commons. This seemed uncharacteristic of him, and Rossandra resolved to discover what was afoot.

The very day after she made that resolution, however, she found herself confronted by her fiance and a number of members of the faculty, who accused her of sponsoring a campaign of bullying against the aforementioned magical prodigy. To establish her innocence, she drank what she was told was a truth potion ... which turned out to be an extremely lethal poison. Her final thought was a confused protest that her life was coming to an end before she had ever managed to do anything with it.

She awoke sometime later in an unfamiliar room, arose from an unfamiliar bed, and stumbled in front of an unfamiliar mirror -- in which she saw a face that was not only unfamiliar, but decidedly male. Forcing herself to remain calm, she soon discovered that she was occupying the body of a fifteen year old boy named Kei Kuruma, an person of no particular social standing or wealth. Rossandra was very confused by what she learned about the history and society of her current reality, but reminded herself that she was a visitor here, and should not expect every place to resemble her beloved Galantri ... to which she hoped to return, shortly.

Rossandra's only real asset in this situation was that she retained her magical powers. She spent what was left of Kei's final year of middle school trying to learn as much as she could about the local forms of magic, which was, unfortunately, very little. Learning of the existence of a school where adepts were trained in the use of their abilities, she gambled with her fate by exposing her magic and posing as a newly-awakened 'super-being', and arranging to be sent to study there.

In her interview with Exelion, she fully unburdened herself. While inclined to believe that he was dealing with someone suffering from a particularly bizarre case of gender dysphoria, he consulted with a colleague who was able to confirm that there were, in fact, two psyches within this young person, one of which was in a state analogous to catatonia. Waking what was likely the spirit of Kei Kuruma was beyond the abilities of even the Wanderer, however, as was returning Rossandra to her own world. For now, the situation must continue.

While she would prefer to dress in fashions like those she knew before, Rossandra dresses in men's attire which better suits her body. Likewise, despite being attracted to a number of people she has encountered at the Academy, she avoids intimate relationships on the basis that it would be wrong to do that with Kei's body, as well as the fact that she hopes to leave this world soon and does not want to leave any broken hearts behind her. In all things, she is guided by her sense of a noble's obligations to do right by others unless those others seek to do wrong.

Ariel usually avoids close combat, as brawling is unbecoming of her and she does not normally carry the saber which would be more appropriate for her standing. She uses her wind magic to attack enemies and support allies, and is imaginative in developing ways to use that set of talents. She has also awakened to the use of what she calls 'heart magic', which her people usually look down upon. Recognizing that she needs every possible advantage, she is learning to employ this talent, which may have greater applications than just the ability to sense emotions.

Her study of magic is wide-ranging, despite her wish to focus on a way back to her own world, as she knows that she also has to find a way to restore Kei's consciousness. When she finally does return, she will be utterly horrified to discover that her rival has started a revolution, and now leads a reign of terror ...

Ariel -- PL 8

Abilities:
STR
0 | STA 0 | AGL 1 | DEX 3 | FGT 4 | INT 1 | AWE 3 | PRE 3

Powers:
Heart Magic:
Mind Reading 8, Limited to emotions - 8 points.
Mystic Awareness: Senses 4 (Mystic Awareness, Acute, Analytical, Radius) - 4 points.
Wind Magic: Array (12 points)
  • Air Bubble: Sustained Immunity 2 (suffocation), Affects Self and Others in Cloud Area - 1 point
  • Blinding Gust: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 6 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware), Limited to Vision - 1 point
  • Lifting Winds: Move Object 6 - 12 points.
  • Whispering Wind: Communication 2 (auditory, air), Subtle - 1 point.
  • Wind Burst: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 4 (Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated) - 1 point.
  • Wind Lash: Ranged Damage 6 - 1 point.
Wind-Riding: Linked Flight 6 (120 MPH) and Sustained Protection 9 - 21 points

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Language 2 (English, Greek, Latin, Welsh, [Galantrian is native]), Power Attack, Ritualist.

Skills:
Close Combat: Sword 3 (+7), Deception 4 (+7), Expertise: Magic 6 (+9), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 4 (+7), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+8), Ranged Combat: Wind Magic 7 (+10) .

Offense:
Initiative +5
Unarmed +4 (Close Damage 0)
Blinding Gust +10 (Ranged Affliction 6, Resisted by Dodge)
Wind Lash +10 (Ranged Damage 6)
Wind Burst -- (Ranged Burst Area Fortitude 4).

Defense:
Dodge 6, Parry 7, Fortitude 4, Toughness 9/0, Will 8.

Totals:
Abilities 30 + Powers 50 + Advantages 5 + Skills 20 + Defenses 17 = 122 points

Complications:
Responsibility--Motivation. Prejudice
(American in the UK, transgender). Uncomfortable With Technology.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:07 pm Feh. All lies. Vlad III was actually well known among the vampires of his era as their unflinching adversary, and while they likely had enough of a sense of irony to have found the notion of transforming him into one of their slaves appealing, by the time he met his death, his body was in no condition to be transformed into one of the undead. Whatever hell he found for himself, it is not this one in which we live. Ask any scholar of Stoker's novel and they'll tell you that his Count is a poor match to the historical impaler, that Stoker was writing about a "Count Wampyr" until some mysterious stranger suggested he use Dracula as his model. (That one's a lie, too, but we'll get to it later.)

That fits with a lot of what I've read in other places, TV Tropes especially (which admittedly is not the strongest source to site). These entries:
Artistic Licence – History: Stoker was clearly trying to imply that Dracula is the historical Vlad III of Wallachia, but has mixed him up with John Hunyadi, a contemporary and sometime enemy of Vlad. It was actually Hunyadi who ruled Transylvania (Vlad was from Wallachia), held the title of Count, and had connections to the Szekely gypsies.

Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Averted. Despite it being a popular modern theory that Bram Stoker based the character on the historical Vlad Dracula the Impaler, in reality almost nobody in the whole of Western Europe had ever heard of the guy at this point in history, and the only loose connection was that Stoker came across the name "Dracula" in a book once and decided it sounded cool so changed his "Count Whampir" to Count Dracula. There were in fact several men called "Dracula" at that point in time (and many were indeed soldiers and warlords like Vlad), so we can't even say for sure that it was Vlad the Impaler he was based on and not another one.
honestly make it sound like most creators are better off coming up with their own origin for Dracula, rather just going with the implied link to Vlad the Impaler.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:15 am honestly make it sound like most creators are better off coming up with their own origin for Dracula, rather just going with the implied link to Vlad the Impaler.
Pretty much. Stoker's Count holds forth on his ancestors with considerable pride, which suggests some connection, and him being one of Vlad III's many descendants is as good a guess as any. Good and bad stories have been made about both Vlad-Count and Not!Vlad-Count.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 am
Ares wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:15 am honestly make it sound like most creators are better off coming up with their own origin for Dracula, rather just going with the implied link to Vlad the Impaler.
Pretty much. Stoker's Count holds forth on his ancestors with considerable pride, which suggests some connection, and him being one of Vlad III's many descendants is as good a guess as any. Good and bad stories have been made about both Vlad-Count and Not!Vlad-Count.
Overall, certain versions of the Dracula from the Castlevania series of games is probably my favorite depiction of the count. The Symphony of the Night version is definitely my favorite visual depiction of the count.

Definitely better than the Updated Marvel Version they tried a while back. Which to me is trying too hard.

And while the movie itself was lackluster, the origin story for Dracula in Dracula 2000 is actually kind of interesting.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Ares wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:02 am
Davies wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 am
Overall, certain versions of the Dracula from the Castlevania series of games is probably my favorite depiction of the count. The Symphony of the Night version is definitely my favorite visual depiction of the count.

Definitely better than the Updated Marvel Version they tried a while back. Which to me is trying too hard.

And while the movie itself was lackluster, the origin story for Dracula in Dracula 2000 is actually kind of interesting.
I admit, the Symphony of the Night looks like a midway point between the redesign and the classic Marvel look.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

You know, a timeline of this setting would not be a bad idea. As well as a good breakpoint until next month.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:10 pm You know, a timeline of this setting would not be a bad idea. As well as a good breakpoint until next month.
Not happening, sorry. Not yet anyway.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:50 pm
Voltron64 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:10 pm You know, a timeline of this setting would not be a bad idea. As well as a good breakpoint until next month.
Not happening, sorry. Not yet anyway.
A brief summary of the three most significant eras of this setting would also be good (1956-1971: The First Superheroes and the Institute, 1971-1998: The JSOT/Python Wars, and 1998-Present: The Rise of ARGUS and the Second Age of Superheroes)

I mean, those were the three big ones, yes?
Davies

Post by Davies »

No means no.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

That's fair. Food for thought come August I suppose.
Davies

Post by Davies »

A bit of history ...

The Grim Brigade

The history of the organization of this name dates back to 1943, when a certain U.S. Army rifle platoon under the command of Lieutenant Joseph Dore received, and survived, a number of assignments that led them into confrontations with some of the Third Reich's more bizarre weapons projects. A newspaper reporter wrote an account of one of these episodes, referring to the unit as a 'grim brigade of heroes', not knowing that a brigade was the term for a much larger unit. As it happened, this article was never published due to censorship, but Dore's commanding officer read it, and the name attached to Dore's unit for the remainder of the war, which saw several more episodes of this nature.

Dore's perceived expertise in these matters saw him continue to receive such assignments when he served as a Captain during the Korean War as well, though he would receive a medical discharge in the last year of the conflict. His civilian life was relatively brief, however, as he was recruited to head up the Office of Scientific Investigation's enforcement arm, and recruited a number of veterans he'd commanded to make up its ranks. Almost inevitably, the Grim Brigade name was applied to them, and they bore it with somewhat bemused pride.

As the first era of superheroics began, the Grim Brigade were often sent into battle with unusual monsters and newly-emerged supervillains. Matters being what they were, many of them ended up mutated by these encounters, developing strange powers of their own. Those subjected to such forces were isolated and studied by the Office, in hopes of learning how to undo these changes ... supposedly. Of these 'lab mice', only one was ever allowed to continue working for the Office: former secretary Veronica Kane, aka the Unseen Agent.

In January of 1961, several members of the Grim Brigade, including Captain Dore, were sent on a mission into orbit aboard a Mercury-Redstone launch vehicle. The exact nature of their operation has never been declassified, but it is suspected that they were attempting to invade Stardust's 'observatory'. The mission was a complete failure and resulted in the deaths of all assigned to it. The embarrassment and waste resulted in the Office being shut down and its remaining operatives, including Veronica Kane, being fired.

Two years later, however, Kane was one of several superhuman operatives recruited by the Voice (a mysterious figure who only communicated with his agents through radio and telephone conversations) to form a new organization which came to be known as the Grim Brigade. As has been stated elsewhere, they were less famous than the Institute, in large part because their cases pitted them against enemies too strange for the public to ever know about. Another factor was the general preference for secrecy of the Voice, whose true identity was not known even to his agents. Some suspected that the Voice was in fact another identity of one of the members of the Brigade.

The majority of the members of the Grim Brigade died in 1971, during the Battle of Vietnam. Janey Quantum was regarded as the sole survivor, and the fact that the Voice never recruited any replacements is thought to have been proof of the theory about their dual identity. Basilea, however, learned otherwise after the Voice provided her with some assistance in one of her cases in 1973, and made an effort to learn his true identity. She was never able to confirm it. The man she suspected of being the Voice died in 1974, not long after a conversation with his nephew, author Darius Just.

Janey Quantum herself was murdered in 1982, ending the saga of the Grim Brigade. An attempt was made to create a new team of heroes to continue the legacy in 2006, but its members were all killed during Billie Zane's attempt at world conquest; apparently she viewed their use of the name as a personal insult. As of the current date, no one has made a third attempt. However, Thomas Dore, the American Angel, has a photograph of his grand-father and members of the original Grim Brigade prominently displayed on the wall his office at Heroic Enterprises ...
Last edited by Davies on Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Janey Quantum, the Metamorphic Woman

Jane Baldwin was born on December 2, 1942. Later legends would claim that she came into the world at the exact moment that the first nuclear chain reaction began in Chicago, but the truth was that she was born an hour or so afterwards. Her father was a Cleveland police officer, and her mother a housewife whose earlier career as a cigarette girl was never discussed in the family home. She grew up in a typical suburban neighborhood in the years right after World War II.

From the start, there was something clearly a bit odd about her. She never suffered from any childhood illnesses, or got a bruise or cut from any of her many misadventures. Her parents attempts to discipline her, through spanking, didn't seem to phase her very much. Jane became something of a tomboy as a result of all this, enjoying sports and outdoorsmanship, which she learned through the Girl Guides.

In her early teens, however, she began to blossom into a remarkable beauty, and her mother and guide leaders all attempted to instill her with some of the ladylike virtues that they valued so very much. They had some successes in this, and she was coming out of a movie while all dolled up when she was discovered by a talent agent who offered to put her in the movies. Her mother was thrilled by this; her father less so, but he eventually decided that it was the best option to help his daughter find a wealthy provider.

Hollywood was everything that she'd thought it would be -- both good and bad. Jane wasn't surprised that she didn't become a big star immediately, especially after she delicately (and not so delicately) extricated herself from situations where men made all sorts of promises about her future as long as she would just -- well, you get the idea. The end result was that she was cast as "Girl in Party Scene" instead of "Lead Actress A", but she was all right with that. You couldn't put a price on self-respect, after all.

In 1961, she was finally given a coveted role as "Girl in Luau Scene", which meant that she was going to Hawaii. Which was nice! Unfortunately, the confluence of events resulted in the filming taking place on the beach just as an atomic monster (read kaiju) came ashore on that very beach. Screaming, panic, tumult, and Jane was put in a position where she had to do something she didn't really want to do, and so she used the powers of matter transmutation that she'd developed around her fifteenth birthday to battle the beast. She succeeded in driving it off.

That was the end of her career as a film star. It was as though every producer in Hollywood operated under the insane assumption that she was in cahoots with the stupid monster, or that the mere fact of her powers would lure in other monsters or even supervillains. (And to be fair, that did more or less happen.) Frustrated by these events, Jane went back home to Cleveland and moved into her parent's garage apartment, using up her savings on cigarettes.

She considered joining the Institute, but they didn't exactly advertise how to go about doing that. The notion of challenging them to a fight to prove her worthiness occurred to her, but she treated it like the dumb idea that it probably was. After two years of this stewing in self-pity, she finally got the phone call from the Voice that changed everything for her.

Her relationships with her teammates were frequently tense and argumentative. In particular, she didn't get on with the other woman on the team, the Unseen Agent, whom she viewed as almost completely insane. The guys weren't much better -- Mechano was utterly morose, and the Living Thunderbolt's flirtations almost as bad as anyone she'd known in Hollywood -- and she alternated between trying to mother Kid Wolf and treating him as an annoying kid brother. For all that, though, she knew that there was no one else she could trust with her life when they were in the field, and so she did so, and strove to be worthy of their trust as well.

Jane's closest relationship was with Doctor Saturn, however. Their association started out incredibly poorly, with him using his psionic technology to seize control of the Brigade and have them act as though he was their leader instead of the Voice. This was also the episode in which Jane discovered that she had a surprisingly low resistance to such technology, which you'd think would have made her very suspicious of its user. But over the course of a few more adventures, in which Doctor Saturn turned out to be a somewhat reliable ally, she found herself increasingly fascinated by him -- in particular the way that his telepathic communications with her exposed the complexities of his own mind. Inevitably, they fell in love.

Alone of her companions, Janey Quantum survived the Battle of Vietnam. Having used her powers to create an impervious shield to protect the position of an artillery brigade, she was subject to some sort of psychic feedback when Stardust used first a series of rays that first transformed the shield, and then blasted it to fragments. He ignored her unconscious form in favor of assaulting the people she'd tried to protect, and so she survived that dark day when so many others didn't.

Traumatized and shaken, Jane agreed to marry Franklin, and they soon had a daughter. But a mundane life was impossible for her, and she kept finding reasons to go back into battle, alone. Ultimately, this led to her death, in 1982, when she was targeted for assassination by the forces of Python. They lured her to an isolated farm, and shot her with automatic rifles. Dying, she still managed to strike back at her murderers by transmuting the ground they stood on to an explosive substance which ignited in the instant of her death.

Janey Quantum, the Metamorphic Woman -- PL 9

Abilities:
STR
1 | STA 6 | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 8 | INT 2 | AWE 2 | PRE 3

Powers:
Hard As Nails: Strength-based Damage 2; Immunity 2 (disease, poison); Impervious Toughness 6 - 8 points
Metamorphosis: Variable 10 (matter transmutation) - 70 points

Typical Settings:
Cavorite Platform and Chemical Rocket: Burst Area Affects Self and Others Flight 8 - 24 points
Corrosion: Linked Weaken Toughness 10, Affects Objects, Secondary Effect, and Damage 10, Secondary Effect - 50 points
Encase: Perception-Ranged Affliction 9 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and
Immobilized), Extra Condition, Limited Degree - 27 points
Gas Cloud: Cloud Area Cumulative Affliction 9 (Resisted by Fortitude; Fatigued, Exhausted, Incapacitated), Sustained - 45 points
Neutralize Reaction: Perception-Ranged Nullify Chemical Effects 9, Broad, Simultaneous - 45 points
Protective Barrier: Create 10, Continous, Impervious - 40 points
Smoke Burst: Cloud Area 2 Visual Concealment 2 Attack - 12 points
Transmutation: Continuous Transform 10 (anything into anything), Resistable (Toughness) - 50 points

Advantages:
Attractive, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Teamwork

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5), Expertise: Science 5 (+7), Insight 4 (+6), Intimidation 5 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+7).

Offense:
Initiative +2
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 3)
Transmutation +8 (Close Effect 10, Resisted by Toughness)

Defense:
Dodge 8, Parry 10, Fortitude 9, Toughness 8/6, Will 6

Totals:
Abilities 52 + Powers 80 + Advantages 7 + Skills 11 + Defenses 15 = 165 points

Complications:
Doing Good (But Would Rather Die Than Admit It)--Motivation. Profane and Unladylike. Relationship (Doctor Saturn). Vulnerability (mental powers).
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:43 pm Traumatized and shaken, Jane agreed to marry Franklin, and they soon had a daughter. But a mundane life was impossible for her, and she kept finding reasons to go back into battle, alone. Ultimately, this led to her death, in 1982, when she was targeted for assassination by the forces of Python. They lured her to an isolated farm, and shot her with automatic rifles. Dying, she still managed to strike back at her murderers by transmuting the ground they stood on to an explosive substance which ignited in the instant of her death.
And Billie Zane of course was too lacking in self-awareness when she allied herself with Python remnants during her attempt at world domination.

Might have been better off had she focused her rage at the parties actually responsible for her grief and despair instead of the heroes who honestly gave a damn.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 am And Billie Zane of course was too lacking in self-awareness when she allied herself with Python remnants during her attempt at world domination.
She's not a particularly well-balanced individual, is Billie.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:13 am
Voltron64 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 am And Billie Zane of course was too lacking in self-awareness when she allied herself with Python remnants during her attempt at world domination.
She's not a particularly well-balanced individual, is Billie.
That's the tragedy of it, all that squandered potential and tarnished legacy.