The World In The Aftermath (Formerly A World Less Magical)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: A World Less Magical But No Less Fantastic

Post by Davies »

Thank you both!
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Hey, happy birthday!
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Happy B-day.
Davies

Post by Davies »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:07 am Hey, happy birthday!
RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:09 am Happy B-day.
T-☥ you!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Author's Note: I'm not sure what it says about me that I have a favorite Dickens novel, but I think I know what it means that my favorite Dickens novel is Great Expectations. "I am what you have made me. Take all the praise, take all the blame; take all the success, take all the failure; in short, take me."

Queen Neratha

Neratha is a regnal name. For thousands upon thousands of years, every ruler of Nerath has taken the name Neratha (or more rarely Nerathus) upon their ascension to the throne, setting aside whatever name they formerly bore. The current queen, having ruled for perhaps fifteen decades, has no memory of ever having known another name. She could probably look it up in the records, but she can't see the point.

When she was but a few years out of the vat, her aunt, the previous queen, decided that she had a surfeit of relatives and so had them all killed -- all but the child that she herself was, of course. The old queen had developed a clever scheme to ensure that she would still rule in Nerath even after Death claimed her for his own, by having her successor raised to think and feel exactly as she herself did. And so this was done, with the child taught that all emotions were her enemy and destroyer, and that all persons should be evaluated solely on whether they were useful or useless to her.

And yet for all that, the old queen had the nerve to be surprised when, in her niece's thirtieth year, the child came to the conclusion that her aunt was useless to her. And so she had her poisoned, and took the throne for her own, and when others were accused of the crime, she pardoned them and admitted to all of Nerath that the deed had been hers. She could no more be tried for this than the old queen could be tried for all her murders, and the admission was, to her mind, quite useful, for it prevented anyone from learning the truth and blackmailing her with it. She did not understand why it made people began to whisper that she was mad, but concern for that subject was useless to her.

She ruled with cold authority, neither seeking to be loved nor feared but accepting both as they came to her. In the fullness of time, she was afflicted with a hero. She briefly allowed herself the luxury of annoyance at the way that the one called Travis Ritter kept interrupting her well-considered plans in the name of rescuing her, but soon came to a better understanding. He was sincerely trying to help her, without any thought for his own gain. It was a bewildering attitude, and she did not at first trust it, but then she sent one of her most useful agents to confirm her understanding. Once that was done, she began to see ways to make use of it.

In the process, she learned that one reason for the fear in which her own people held her was the lack of an heir. Setting aside the absurdity that was Ritter's infatuation with her, she decided that it might be useful to create the semblance of a family to ease those concerns. So she turned to another useful ally, Sir Terrida, and offered to make him her Prince Consort, with the understanding that he could continue to pursue other partners. For some strange reason, he has not done so, perhaps holding off on pursuing his true love (whom she knows exists, even if she has not bothered to find out more information) while their union lasts. It's admirable, in a way. She will have to do something nice for him when he finally gives in to his urges.

After her children with Terrida were taken from the vats, she attempted to bond with them and discovered, to her great regret, that she felt no more connection with them than she has ever felt with anyone. They are very much assets to her rule, and she will protect them, but they are only slightly more important than the members of her palace staff, whose names and personal details she has memorized. Her greatest regret is that after a century of battles, they are no closer to permanently ending Skathulos than they were when they started, though they have reclaimed much of what the sorcerer had taken from them over the centuries.

That her people think her mad is not something she regrets. It has its uses.

While trained in the use of weapons and bearing the Nerathan Sword of State, Neratha believes that any situation where she is fighting hand-to-hand battles is one where the day has already been lost. She will sell her life dearly in that case, but prefers to hold it off with negotiation and scheming, as well as a well-paid army and irregular allies.

Queen Neratha -- PL 6

Abilities:
STR
0 | STA 3 | AGL 2 | DEX 3 | FGT 5 | INT 4 | AWE 4 | PRE 6

Powers:
Awakened Mind: Mind Reading 6; Senses 2 (mental communication link with Terrida; psychic awareness) - 14 points
Extended Youth: Immunity 1 (aging) - 1 point
Unfazeable: Immunity 5 (interaction skills) - 5 points

Advantages:
Attractive, Benefit 4 (millionaire, Queen of Nerath), Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 1, Evasion, Improved Defense, Languages 2, Leadership, Ranged Attack 3, Skill Mastery (Persuasion).

Equipment:
Sword of State (Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical 2).

Skills:
Deception 8 (+14), Expertise: Civics 8 (+12), Expertise: History 8 (+12), Expertise: Science 8 (+12), Insight 10 (+14), Intimidation 7 (+13), Perception 8 (+12), Persuasion 9 (+15).

Offense:
Initiative +2
Unarmed +5 (Close Damage 0)
Sword of State +5 (Close Damage 3, Crit 18-20)

Defense:
Dodge 7, Parry 5, Fortitude 4, Toughness 5/3, Will 8.

Totals:

Abilities 54 + Powers 20 + Advantages 17 + Skills 33 + Defenses 10 = 134 points

Complications:
Duty--Motivation. Irrationally Rational. Reputation ('Mad Queen of Nerath'). Responsibility (Nerath).
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Nice anti-heroic take on a villainous archetype.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Sir Terrida, Prince Consort

Sir Terrida has been associated with Travis Ritter for longer than his Queen, although he's never brought up the fact with the man from another world. He chanced to be in his usual box at the arena when Ritter made his debut there. A flash of intuition led him to place a large wager on this strange visitor's chances to win his first match, which paid off rather nicely. He followed Ritter's career with interest, and actually met him in passing during the time when he and Baranca were Cathrodamus' henchmen. Terrida is familiar enough with Ritter's fighting style that, on the whole, he believes that a duel between the two of them could go either way, but is not in any hurry to find out.

Ever since his own youth, decades ago, Sir Terrida has acted as an agent of the Queen. Not the same sort of deniable spy and assassin as Acatha, that darling girl, but rather someone sent to make it unquestionably clear that the throne was taking an interest in certain matters. He would say that he relished these 'adventures' for the excitement that they gave him, and yet he was not even tempted to betray his mistress. He would say that he knew perfectly well that the Queen only trusts him just so far, and risking that was not worth it.

He would say whatever seemed to suit the situation. He's one of the best liars in Nerath.

It came to pass that the Queen desired to create a stable family situation, and turned to Sir Terrrida to assist her with this. Of course, she had no sexual interest in him at all, and this was to be purely an affair of state. Further, she told him that she was well aware that he was in love with someone, and that he would be able to continue that liaison as long as he was discreet. He nodded as he listened, and then agreed to marry the woman he has loved more than life itself since first he met her.

When not fulfilling the ceremonial role of Prince Consort, or caring for his children, Sir Terrida often accompanies Ritter and company on their adventures. He provides what funding their own wealth cannot, and lends them the use of his private flying machine for transport. He notably accompanied them on their journey to Bemarris in the company of the Warpwitch and her friends, but bowed out of the expedition when they headed into the Labyrinth. Dungeon crawling is not at all a gentlemanly affair.

He finds Ritter's belief that they can save the world to be amusing if completely absurd. The world is doomed, it has been since long before any of them were born. All that matters now is what they choose to do before the end comes. He doesn't know what that will be like, but he is certain of exactly one thing -- in the end, there will only be cockroaches, Sir Terrida, and his Queen ... who will be trying to rule over the cockroaches.

Sir Terrida, Prince Consort -- PL 8

Abilities:
STR
1 | STA 3 | AGL 3 | DEX 4 | FGT 8 | INT 3 | AWE 3 | PRE 3

Powers:
Awakened Mind: Mind Reading 4; Senses 2 (mental communication link with Neratha; psychic awareness) - 10 points
Extended Youth: Immunity 1 (aging) - 1 point

Equipment:
Sword (Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical), Blaster Pistol (Ranged Damage 5), and 7 points of equipment as needed.
Private Flyer: Size Huge; Strength 8; Speed 8 (air); Defense 6; Toughness 11; Features Remote Control.

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Attractive, Benefit 4 (Status [Prince Consort of Nerath], Wealth 3), Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 9, Evasion, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Languages 3, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 3, Redirect, Taunt.

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+9), Athletics 6 (+7), Close Combat: Sword 4 (+12), Deception 9 (+12), Expertise: Streetwise 5 (+8), Insight 8 (+11), Investigation 5 (+8), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 6 (+9), Ranged Combat: Blaster 4 (+8), Stealth 5 (+8), Vehicles 6 (+10).

Offense:
Initiative +3
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 1)
Sword +12 (Close Damage 4, Critical 19-20),
Blaster Pistol +11 (Ranged Damage 5).

Defense:
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 6, Toughness 5/3, Will 7.

Totals:
Abilities 56 + Powers 11 + Advantages 32 + Skills 34 + Defenses 18 = 151 points

Complications:
Amusement--Motivation. Family (his children). Responsibility (Nerath). Sardonic. Unrequited Love.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Baranca

'Baranca' is the name that he was given by the the first people not his own whom he encountered -- residents of the Gahn Valley, far to the north of Nerath. In their language, it means 'black-furred', and as he is black-furred, it seemed a perfectly acceptable name. It helps that his time in Gahn Valley was the first glimpse he had of happiness, even if it ended far too soon, when other members of the people who were his own discovered that he was living there and decided to do something about that. They failed to end his life, but he was no longer welcome among the few survivors, so it could be said that they got what they wanted.

The Hamoran people don't give their children names. They allow them to grow up in peace and comfort, and that is either the greatest gift that any of them can give, or the cruelest thing that they know how to inflict. For when they come of age, every Hamoran is taught that every other Hamoran, and every other living creature, wants to kill them. There is neither friendship nor family among them, only brief partnerships that always end in the death of one of them, and the only thing that they will unite to defend are the creches where their children come into the world.

The cub who would become Baranca was ... different. He quickly learned the lesson that every hand of his own people was turned against him, and never tried to change that, but something told him that things were not as the elders said. Perhaps he had some strange mutation in his brain, and perhaps he witnessed relationships between other creatures that did not involve unrelenting hostility. All that matters is that eventually, he knew that he could not live in this place, and set out to find a place where things might be different.

After the destruction of the settlement in the Gahn Valley, Baranca kept moving south, hoping that he would eventually be far enough away that the Hamorans would never find him. Unfortunately, the regions where his people had never traveled were also ones where such qualities as he possessed were sought for gladiatorial combat. He was captured and sent to the arena, where he fought and killed because he had no other choice. He was just beginning to think he might as well have never left home when he met Travis Ritter. The rest is history.

The friendship he has with Travis and Acatha (and to a lesser degree with a few other Nerathans) is the most wonderful thing he has ever known, and he will fight the pain masters themselves to protect them. He is also very attached to children of all sorts, and anyone who would even try to hurt a child earns Baranca's unrelenting hatred. (This is an extension, in some ways, of the Hamoran instinct to protect their own young, which is not normally extended to the young of other peoples. But Baranca is different.)

Baranca -- PL 9

Abilities:
STR
9 | STA 10 | AGL 2 | DEX 3 | FGT 6 | INT 1 | AWE 2 | PRE 2

Powers:
Alien Mind: Immunity 20 (mental effects) - 20 points
Brachiation: Leaping 5, Movement 1 (swinging) - 7 points
Made of Muscle: Enhanced Strength, Limited to Lifting 1; Impervious Toughness 2 - 3 points
Fur: Immunity 1 (cold) - 1 point

Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Equipment 6, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Languages 2, Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge.

Equipment:
Battle-Axe (Strength-based Damage 3), Blaster Rifle (Ranged Multiattack Damage 8), and 3 points of equipment as needed.

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+10), Athletics 3 (+12), Expertise: Survival 6 (+7), Intimidation 9 (+11), Perception 6 (+8), Ranged Combat: Blaster 6 (+9), Stealth 6 (+8).

Offense:
Initiative +6
Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 9)
Battle-Axe +6 (Close Damage 12)
Blaster Rifle +9 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 8).

Defense:
Dodge 6, Parry 8, Fortitude 11, Toughness 10, Will 7.

Totals:
Abilities 70 + Powers 31 + Advantages 19 + Skills 22 + Defenses 12 = 154 points

Complications:
Adventure--Motivation. Can't Speak Languages, Only Understand. Friendship (Travis, Acatha). Hatred (those who harm children of any species). Power Loss (Alien Mind, some alien mentalists can affect him.)
Last edited by Davies on Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Skathulos

The histories of the dark city of Hadoth, such as they are, record that the sorcerer-priest-king Skathulos, sometimes called the Living Skull, has ruled over the city and its people since the beginning of time. Most of the people of Hadoth have no reason to question this version of history; even if they suspect it cannot be literally true, he has ruled as long as anyone can remember. Part of that, though, is the fact that only a vanishing few of them have access to the life extension treatments of Nerath, those few being exiles from that city who do not share their gifts with the rabble among whom they are forced to live.

Nerath's own histories record that Skathulos rose to power some five hundred years in the past, though they do not relate where he came from before then. Based on the way that he has avoided any territorial expansion that would pit him against the forces of the city of Gargosa, some have suggested that he must be one of the Saffron King's former votaries, who, though brave enough to flee that god-beast, is not near brave enough to challenge it. Another tale, perhaps less dramatic, claims that he was a member of Hadoth's long-vanished royalty who was forced into the temple as a punishment, and from there rose to master both temple and throne. Still another suggests that he is a traveler from yet another world, much as his adversary.

Regardless, he has employed sorcery, ancient technology, and monstrous and mundane troops to try and conquer as much of the Torm Basin as he possibly can (save for Gargosa, which he does not yet challenge.) His wars with Nerath were a long and grinding defeat for Nerath's defenders, spread out over centuries and claiming the lives of three of those who ruled before the current Queen. Not until Ritter and his comrades found a way to turn the tables and drive Skathulos to retreat for the very first time in all that history did it seem that there was any hope for Nerath. Many still think that the current time of prosperity is a cruel hoax that will end when Skathulos sees fit to return to battle.

Perhaps such a pessimistic view of matters is the right one. Skathulos has not spent this past century in idle dissipation or brooding over his failures. He has learned, from a variety of sources, all that is learnable about his new foes, every strength and every weakness. For now, he dispatches a series of probing attacks by his minions, less to test his opponents than to force them to use up their resources to overcome these lesser opponents, knowing that reclaiming them will be difficult. When they are at their lowest ebb, then he will attack in force.

Nerath will fall. Ritter, his friends, all of the city, all of the Basin will perish, either in battle or as sacrifices that Skathulos himself will offer up. Even the rabble of his own Hadoth will be used for that latter purpose. Surely then, with such holy offerings before her, great Ananke will bestir herself to come to claim them in person. And then she too will go under the knife, with Skathulos taking from her the godhood that should always have been his. And then, what won't he do?

Skathulos' staff is an ancient technological weapon. While he uses it to direct his sorcerous powers, he does not depend on it to do so. He has kept this a secret from practically everyone, who all assume that depriving him of his staff is a good way to depower him. Those who act on this belief are in for an unpleasant surprise.

Skathulos -- PL 11

Abilities:
STR
4 | STA 5 | AGL 1 | DEX 3 | FGT 8 | INT 6 | AWE 4 | PRE 6

Powers:
Awakened Mind: Mind Reading 11; Senses 2 (acute psychic awareness) - 24 points
No Longer Mortal: Immunity 30 (Fortitude effects); Impervious Protection 8 - 46 points
Power Staff: Strength-based Damage 4, Easily Removable - 2 points
Sorcery: Array (34 points)
  • Clairvoyance: Remote Sensing [visual, mental] 11, Subtle - 34 points
  • Domination: Perception Range Concentration Affliction 11 (Resisted by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled), Vision Dependent, Subtle - 1 point
  • Mind Over Matter: Damaging Move Object 11, Subtle - 1 point
  • Vampiric Aura: Selective Burst Area Weaken Stamina 11, Insidious - 1 point
Advantages:
Benefit 4 (millionaire, Priest King of Hadoth]), Fearless 2, Improved Grab, Inspire, Power Attack, Ritualist, Startle, Well-informed.

Skills:
Close Combat: Staff 6 (+14), Deception 7 (+13), Expertise: Magic 9 (+15), Intimidation 9 (+15), Perception 8 (+12), Persuasion 7 (+13), Ranged Combat: Sorcery 8 (+11).

Offense:
Initiative +1
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 4)
Power Staff +14 (Close Damage 8)
Domination -- (Perception Range Will 11)
Mind Over Matter +11 (Ranged Damage 11)
Vampiric Aura -- (Burst Area Fortitude 11)

Defense:
Dodge 7, Parry 9, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 13, Will 11.

Totals:

Abilities 74 + Powers 109 + Advantages 12 + Skills 27 + Defenses 14 = 236 points

Complications:
Power--Motivation. Horrible Appearance. Sadism.
Last edited by Davies on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Turner

Post by Ian Turner »

Davies wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:41 am Baranca
Baranca feels less like a Thark analogue, to go with the John Carter feel of Travis Ritter, and more like an Enkidu to his Gilgamesh (or a Ookla to his Thundarr, whatev). :)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

This stuff is really milking that pulp heroes style, well done.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Davies, I recognize the illustration for Baranca from somewhere, but I cannot place it precisely-did it originally appear for a D&D style fantasy monster? Or am I mistaken? I like the character background, btw, very much keeping with a science-fantasy style.

Does this World Closer to the End have much crossover with the main setting? It seems to operate by an different set of axioms, with regards to magic and so on.

All my best.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ian Turner wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:58 am
Davies wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:41 am Baranca
Baranca feels less like a Thark analogue, to go with the John Carter feel of Travis Ritter, and more like an Enkidu to his Gilgamesh (or a Ookla to his Thundarr, whatev). :)
I'm also going for a bit of Chewbacca, since I haven't had the real hero of the Star Wars trilogy yet. :)
greycrusader wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:33 pm Davies, I recognize the illustration for Baranca from somewhere, but I cannot place it precisely-did it originally appear for a D&D style fantasy monster? Or am I mistaken? I like the character background, btw, very much keeping with a science-fantasy style.
It's from GURPS Aliens, as is the Hamorans' generally paranoid attitude.
greycrusader wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:33 pmDoes this World Closer to the End have much crossover with the main setting? It seems to operate by an different set of axioms, with regards to magic and so on.
In both cases, magic is generally psychic in nature. Aside from Warpwitch's journey there, nobody knows whether anyone visited this alternate reality ... but the fact that Ananke, as Skathulos' goddess and as the ruler of Daath, is known in both worlds, suggests that there may be some deeper ties than anyone in-setting knows about.
Woodclaw wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:11 am This stuff is really milking that pulp heroes style, well done.
Thanks!
Ian Turner

Post by Ian Turner »

Davies wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:02 pm It's from GURPS Aliens, as is the Hamorans' generally paranoid attitude.
Oh wow, there were some fun whacky aliens in that one. I liked the little furry ones who occasionally 'sold out' and pretended to be pets for rich nutjobs...
Davies

Post by Davies »

So I've got four more profiles in the World Closer to Death series, then it's back to the World Less Magical for, among others, the Minor League. Then I think I'll do some more alien threats, unless I get a better idea.