J-Mart: Kung Lao, Ken Masters, Captain Carter, John Preston

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Re: J-Mart: Loki PC, Frost Giants, Fire Giants, Dragons, Constantine, Doctor Strange

Post by Spectrum »

catsi563 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:15 am
He also has a complicated, but currently solid relationship with the White Council of Wizards who allow him to work outside of the Seven Laws due to his status as Sorceror Supreme.
OK i cna imagine msyelf but ive got to know what thorpocaverse Harry Dresden and Strange think of each other. :lol:
Or Dresden and Constantine?

And did I hear that Constantine is the new Doctor Fate?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ken

Re: J-Mart: Loki PC, Frost Giants, Fire Giants, Dragons, Constantine, Doctor Strange

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 amAs for character arch, the only one i know is Kent "i was a Stripper in a Cartoon" Nelson
Dafuq?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:26 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 amAs for character arch, the only one i know is Kent "i was a Stripper in a Cartoon" Nelson
Dafuq?
Yeeeah, this happened
Ken

Post by Ken »

Doctor Fate's characterisation has been all over the board. His earliest appearances were pretty consistent, if a trifle 2-dimensional. Then he switched helmets, and personalities.

When he was revived in the 1960s, there was again some consistency, mostly due to there being not that many writers, very few appearances, and flat characterisation. Then in First Issue Special #9, Marty Pasko did the remarkable... he gave Kent Nelson and Doctor Fate personalities. And for the next dozen years, or so, he was golden. Under various writers (Pasko, Gerry Conway, Paul Levitz, Roy Thomas), Nelson and Doctor Fate were written with a depth and consistency.

And then Kent Nelson was relaced by Eric AND Linda Strauss, the Linda Strauss, then Inza Nelson, and then turned into Fate, and then Hector Hall ... Cripes.

Once again, DC's mantra (since the "Crisis on Infinite Earths") of "If it's not broken, break it" kicked in.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Spectrum wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:34 pm
He also has a complicated, but currently solid relationship with the White Council of Wizards who allow him to work outside of the Seven Laws due to his status as Sorceror Supreme.
OK i cna imagine msyelf but ive got to know what thorpocaverse Harry Dresden and Strange think of each other. :lol:

I have to throw Hellboy into that mix because I see him, Dresden and Constantine being involved in the most mystical cluster scenarios. Strange and Fate are more advisory overall, only getting involved when the Dormammu/Mordru/Trigon types are involved. Basically the no one trusts Constantine but he has Hellboy and Dresden's respect, Hellboy and Dresden get along OK but aren't really buds, the three of them all rub Strange and Fate the wrong way and the three of them think Strange and Fate are haughty a-holes but they can all work together when sh*t gets real bad.

And Zatanna calls all of them on their crap. :)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:38 pm Doctor Fate's characterisation has been all over the board. His earliest appearances were pretty consistent, if a trifle 2-dimensional. Then he switched helmets, and personalities.

When he was revived in the 1960s, there was again some consistency, mostly due to there being not that many writers, very few appearances, and flat characterisation. Then in First Issue Special #9, Marty Pasko did the remarkable... he gave Kent Nelson and Doctor Fate personalities. And for the next dozen years, or so, he was golden. Under various writers (Pasko, Gerry Conway, Paul Levitz, Roy Thomas), Nelson and Doctor Fate were written with a depth and consistency.

And then Kent Nelson was relaced by Eric AND Linda Strauss, the Linda Strauss, then Inza Nelson, and then turned into Fate, and then Hector Hall ... Cripes.

Once again, DC's mantra (since the "Crisis on Infinite Earths") of "If it's not broken, break it" kicked in.
'
When I was a kid, the few comics I saw with Dr Fate had him shooting Ankh symbols or lightning-like yellow zig-zag bolts of energy from his hands. I did not think he had magical powers. He sometimes had a short helmet and at others a longer one.
Thorpocalypse

Doctor Fate: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

There is another Doctor in the house!

Sometimes I think a good fight accomplishes more than all the learning in the world. - Doctor Fate

DOCTOR FATE
PL14

OPL: 14; SPL: 14; DPL: 14; FWPL: 10; HP: 1
Height: 6-2
Weight: 195
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Grey
Skin: Fair
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: The Tower of Fate, The Nexus of Subtle Realms
Team Affiliations: Justice League; Justice Society Initiative; Lords of Order

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2 [10], STAMINA 3, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4 [12], PRESENCE 3 [7]

SKILLS: Athletics (+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+8), Deception (+3/+9), Expertise [Archeology] 4 (+7), Expertise [Magic] 9 (+12/+24) [Artificer, Ritualist], Insight 4 (+16), Intimidation (+7), Perception 4 (+16), Persuasion 3 (+10), Ranged Combat [Magic] 7 (+10), Stealth (+2), Treatment 7 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: Artificer, Equipment (5), Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Interpose, Languages (2) (Egyptian, French, 3 others, Base: English), Ritualist, Trance, Ultimate Effort (1) (Ultimate Expertise [Magic] Check)

POWERS:
Servant of Nabu: Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease); 2 pts
Mystic Training Enhanced Abilities: Enhanced Strength 8, Flight 7 (250 mph/1/2 mpr, Extra: Affects Others, Increased Mass 6 [3200 lbs]), Impervious Protection 9; 61 pts
Mystical Array: 50 pt Dynamic Array; 64 pts
Spell Shattering: Nullify 16 (Magic; Extra: Broad, Dynamic, Precise, Simultaneous); 50 pts
Mystic Bolt: Ranged Multiattack Mystic Energy Damage 18 (Extra: Dynamic, Flaw: Limited [Multiattack limited to magical targets]); 2 pts
Mystic Passage: Teleport 14 (60 miles/16,000 miles; Extra: Dynamic, Extended, Increased Mass 6 [3200 lbs]); 2 pts
Astral Projection: Remote Sensing 15 (120 miles; Visual, Auditory, Aural, Mental; Extra: Dynamic, Flaw: Side Effect [Physical Body is defenseless and immobile]); 2 pts
Telepathy: Mind Reading 10, Communication 3 (Mental, Statewide/Small Nation, Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts
Somnambulant Spell: Cloud Area Cumulative Affliction 12 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Asleep, Extra: Cloud Area 2 [30 ft radius], Dynamic); 2 pts
Phasing: Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal; Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts
Mystic Shield: Create 18 (Mystic Objects; Extra: Dynamic, Impervious 13); 2 pts

Amulet of Anubis: 23 pts Traits, Removable (-5 pts); 18 pts
Mystic Attunement: Senses 5 (Magical Awareness, Mental, Extended 4); 5 pts
Pocket Dimension: Movement 1 (Dimension Travel 1), Increased Mass 9 (12 Tons); 11 pts
True Sight: Senses 8 (Normal Sight [Analytical Sight, Counters All Concealment, Counters Illusion], Quirk: Noticeable [Glowing Eyes]); 7 pts

Helm of Nabu: 33 pts Traits, Removable (-7 pts); 26 pts
Avatar of Nabu: Enhanced Awareness 8, Enhanced Presence 4, Enhanced Skills 6 (Expertise [Magic] 12 ranks), Enhanced Advantages 2 (Fearless, Ultimate Effort [Expertise: Magic]), Feature 1 (Guidance of Nabu); 33 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(25 pts)
Headquarters: (24 pts)
The Tower of Fate: Size - M (Exterior); Tough - 20; Features - Defense System [Wards], Dimensional Portal, Dual Size [Awesome], Library, Living Space, Sealed, Secret (DC 30), Self- Repairing, Workshop; 24 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +4
Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +10]
Ranged Attack +3
Magic +10 [Mystic Blast +18. Multiattack; Mystic Shields +18; Spell Shattering Nullify +16]
Special Attack [Somnambulant Spell Affliction +12, Cloud Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +8, Will +12

COMPLICATIONS:
Overbearing Mentor: The longer Nelson wears the Helm of Nabu, the more influence its creator wields over him, until finally Nelson’s (or any long-term wielder’s) personality is subsumed under Nabu’s own.
Relationships: His wife, Inza Nelson.
Responsibility: The burden of wielding the Helm of Fate and being one of the primary mystical protectors of Earth weighs heavy on him at times.
Restricted Power: The Helm decides who is and isn’t worthy to wear it. Those deemed unworthy suffer either a lethal Continuous Mental Blast 20 or Continuous Affliction 20 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Stunned, Transformed) that leaves the unfortunate target in a permanent vegetative state.
Secret Identity: He maintains his secret identity of Kent Nelson.

Abilities 48 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Advantages 12 + Powers 171 + Defenses 19 = 271 / 271

Build Comments: Despite his iffy modern history in comics, Doctor Fate was very well portrayed in the animated DCU. He had some great appearances in JLU and the saga of the Helm of Fate in Young Justice was one of the better running storylines.

Secret Origins: Kent Nelson was the son of archaeologist Sven Nelson and around the year 1940, the two of them were exploring the Valley of Ur in Mesopotamia when they discovered an underground pyramid. It contained Nabu, an ancient immortal from the planet Cilia who had been held in suspended animation for thousands of years.

Kent released him, but the lever accidentally unleashed a poisonous gas that killed his father. It would later be revealed that Nabu engineered this situation to gain a new host. Nabu decided to mentor the young boy in the secrets of the universe, giving him incredible powers and taking his grief away from him. He would serve as an agent of the Lords of Order in their never-ending battle against the Lords of Chaos. Having finished his training, Nabu gave him an amulet, cloak and helmet to become a champion of good as Doctor Fate. He would go on to meet a beautiful college student named Inza Cramer while traveling through Alexandria, and she would become his long-time romantic partner and confidante.

The Story so Far: His first battle was against the evil sorcerer Wotan, who struck at him through Inza using an agent named Thomas Frawley. Kent would continue to go on adventures as Fate, although Nabu's spirit would always guide him through the helmet and he'd awaken with little memory of his own exploits. He joined the Justice Society of America and had many adventures with the team.

As time went on, Kent found the helmet becoming more and more possessive of him, so rather than abandoning his battle against chaos, Kent created the half helm. Although Kent's powers were severely limited, he still had the ability of flight, invulnerability and super strength. However, Kent donned the full Helm one last time in order to defeat the powerful wizard Malador the Mystic.

Afterwards, he retired his Fate persona and became a physician. It was not until about 10 years ago that Kent would rejoin the superheroic community and has been a key member of the mystic community ever since.

Characterization: Kent and his wife Inza are committed the battle against evil and chaos. They often seem as people out of time. As their Justice Society comrades age, Kent and Inza seem immortal. The magic Fate holds over them, virtually stopped their aging process.

Friends and Foes: Kent has had many battles with the forces of evil over the decades. His greatest foe is the wizard Wotan, but he has also developed great rivalries with Malador the Mystic and Arcanix as well. He has been long time friends with the Sorceror Supreme of Earth, Doctor Strange and the two of them have joined forces to battle great magical evil on several occasions.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:20 pm
Spectrum wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:34 pm

I have to throw Hellboy into that mix because I see him, Dresden and Constantine being involved in the most mystical cluster scenarios. Strange and Fate are more advisory overall, only getting involved when the Dormammu/Mordru/Trigon types are involved. Basically the no one trusts Constantine but he has Hellboy and Dresden's respect, Hellboy and Dresden get along OK but aren't really buds, the three of them all rub Strange and Fate the wrong way and the three of them think Strange and Fate are haughty a-holes but they can all work together when sh*t gets real bad.

And Zatanna calls all of them on their crap. :)
and they all look at Balthazar Blake and decide to stand over *there*
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Spectrum wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:34 pm And did I hear that Constantine is the new Doctor Fate?
DC would do something that stupid.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Thorpocalypse

Doctor Fate: Earth-PC1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

No use to struggle, No use to flee - Your Fate is written, It strikes through me! - Doctor Fate

DOCTOR FATE
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 9; DPL: 10; FWPL: 8; HP: 1

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2 [8], STAMINA 3, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4 [8], PRESENCE 3 [5]

SKILLS: Athletics (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+8), Deception (+3/+5), Expertise [Archeology] 2 (+5), Expertise [Magic] 6 (+9/+19) [Artificer, Ritualist], Insight 1 (+9), Intimidation (+3/+5), Perception (+8), Persuasion (+3/+5), Ranged Combat [Magic] 7 (+7), Stealth (+2), Treatment 4 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Artificer, Equipment (5), Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Languages (1) (Egyptian, 1 other, Base: English), Ritualist, Trance, Ultimate Effort (1) (Ultimate Expertise [Magic] Check)

POWERS:
Mystic Flight: Flight 4 (30 mph/500 ft pr); 8 pts
Mystical Array: 26 pt Array; 30 pts
Mystic Bolt: Ranged Multiattack Mystic Energy Damage 13 (Flaw: Limited [Multiattack limited to magical targets]); 26 pts
Spell Shattering: Nullify 8 (Magic; Extra: Broad, Precise, Simultaneous); 1 pt
Mystic Passage: Teleport 7 (1/2 mile/125 miles; Extra: Extended, Increased Mass 5 [1600 lbs]); 1 pt
Phasing: Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal); 1 pt
Mystic Force Field: Protection 10 (Flaw: Sustained), Impervious Toughness 13 (Flaw: Sustained); 1 pt
Mystic Shield: Create 13 (Mystic Objects); 1 pt

Amulet of Anubis: 8 pts Traits, Removable (-2 pts); 6 pts
Mystic Attunement Array: 7 pt Array; 8 pts
True Sight: Senses 8 (Normal Sight [Analytical Sight, Counters All Concealment, Counters Illusion], Quirk: Noticeable [Glowing Eyes]); 7 pts
Mystic Senses: Senses 5 (Magical Awareness, Mental, Extended 4); 1 pt

Helm of Nabu: 20 pts Traits, Removable (-4 pts); 16 pts
Avatar of Nabu: Enhanced Strength 6, Enhanced Awareness 4, Enhanced Presence 2, Enhanced Skills 5 (Expertise [Magic] 10 ranks), Enhanced Advantages 2 (Fearless, Ultimate Effort [Expertise: Magic]), Feature 1 (Guidance of Nabu); 32 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(25 pts)
The Tower of Fate: Size - M (Exterior); Tough - 20; Features - Defense System [Wards], Dimensional Portal, Dual Size [Awesome], Library, Living Space, Sealed, Secret (DC 30), Self- Repairing, Workshop; 24 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +4
Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +8]
Ranged Attack +0
Magic +7 [Mystic Blast +13, Multiattack; Mystic Shields +13; Spell Shattering Nullify +8]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 [DC17] Parry +7 [DC17]
Toughness +3 (+3 without Defensive Roll, +13 with Mystic Force Field, +7 Impervious with Mystic Force Field), Fortitude +7, Will +10

COMPLICATIONS:
Overbearing Mentor: The longer Nelson wears the Helm of Nabu, the more influence its creator wields over him, until finally Nelson’s (or any long-term wielder’s) personality is subsumed under Nabu’s own.
Responsibility: The burden of wielding the Helm of Fate and being one of the primary mystical protectors of Earth weighs heavy on him at times.
Restricted Power: The Helm decides who is and isn’t worthy to wear it. Those deemed unworthy suffer either a lethal Continuous Mental Blast 20 or Continuous Affliction 20 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Stunned, Transformed) that leaves the unfortunate target in a permanent vegetative state.

Abilities 42 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Advantages 10 + Powers 73 + Defenses 13 = 150 / 150

Build Comments: This one, like my PC Dresden and Strange was a hard one to get right, but it came out OK.
Thorpocalypse

Doctor Fate: Earth-PC2

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Fate is never alone! Along the twisted paths I walk, others are ever at my side -- in spirit if not in fact! They are those who serve the cause of justice! - Doctor Fate

DOCTOR FATE
PL12

OPL: 12; SPL: 10; DPL: 11; FWPL: 9; HP: 1

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2 [8], STAMINA 3, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4 [8], PRESENCE 3 [5]

SKILLS: Athletics (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+8), Deception (+3/+5), Expertise [Archeology] 4 (+7), Expertise [Magic] 9 (+12/+22) [Artificer, Ritualist], Insight 2 (+10), Intimidation (+3/+5), Perception 2 (+10), Persuasion (+3/+5), Ranged Combat [Magic] 9 (+9), Stealth (+2), Treatment 4 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Artificer, Equipment (5), Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Languages (2) (Egyptian, Latin, Arcane, 2 others, Base: English), Ritualist, Trance, Ultimate Effort (1) (Ultimate Expertise [Magic] Check)

POWERS:
Mystic Flight: Flight 6 (120 mph/1800 ft pr); 12 pts
Mystical Array: 31 pt Dynamic Array; 47 pts
Mystic Bolt: Ranged Multiattack Mystic Energy Damage 15 (Extra: Dynamic, Flaw: Limited [Multiattack limited to magical targets]); 31 pts
Spell Shattering: Nullify 9 (Magic; Extra: Broad, Dynamic, Precise, Simultaneous); 1 pt
Mystic Passage: Teleport 8 (1 mile/250 miles; Extra: Dynamic, Extended, Increased Mass 5 [1600 lbs]); 1 pt
Phasing: Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal; Extra: Dynamic); 1 pt
Mystic Force Field: Protection 11 ( Extra: Dynamic, Flaw: Sustained), Impervious Toughness 13 ( Extra: Dynamic, Flaw: Sustained); 1 pt
Astral Projection: Remote Sensing 10 (4 miles; Visual, Auditory, Aural, Mental; Extra: Dynamic, Flaw: Side Effect [Physical Body is defenseless and immobile]); 2 pts
Telepathy: Mind Reading 9, Communication 3 (Mental, Statewide/Small Nation, Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts
Somnambulant Spell: Cloud Area Cumulative Affliction 7 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Asleep, Extra: Cloud Area x2 [30 ft radius], Dynamic); 2 pts
Mystic Shield: Create 15 (Extra: Dynamic, Mystic Objects); 1 pt

Amulet of Anubis: 8 pts Traits, Removable (-2 pts); 6 pts
Mystic Attunement Array: 7 pt Array; 8 pts
Mystic Senses: Senses 5 (Magical Awareness, Mental, Extended 4); 1 pt

Helm of Nabu: 20 pts Traits, Removable (-4 pts); 16 pts
Avatar of Nabu: Enhanced Strength 6, Enhanced Awareness 4, Enhanced Presence 2, Enhanced Skills 5 (Expertise [Magic] 10 ranks), Enhanced Advantages 2 (Fearless, Ultimate Effort [Expertise: Magic]), Feature 1 (Guidance of Nabu); 32 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(25 pts)

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +4
Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +8]
Ranged Attack +0
Magic +9 [Mystic Blast +15, Multiattack; Mystic Shields +15; Spell Shattering Nullify +9]
Special Attack [Somnambulant Spell Affliction +7, Cloud Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +3 (+3 without Defensive Roll, +14 with Mystic Force Field, +7 Impervious with Mystic Force Field), Fortitude +7, Will +11

COMPLICATIONS:

Abilities 42 + Skills 17 (34 ranks) + Advantages 11 + Powers 93 + Defenses 17 = 180 / 180
Ken

Post by Ken »

Goldar wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:24 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:38 pm Once again, DC's mantra (since the "Crisis on Infinite Earths") of "If it's not broken, break it" kicked in.
'
When I was a kid, the few comics I saw with Dr Fate had him shooting Ankh symbols or lightning-like yellow zig-zag bolts of energy from his hands. I did not think he had magical powers. He sometimes had a short helmet and at others a longer one.
Which means you were a kid in the late 1970s and early 1980s. You saw some reprints of comics from the 1960s.

That you didn't ankh symbols as representing magic, I can't help. Lightning-like yellow zig-zag bolts of energy.... Anyone who knows the one true Captain Marvel knows that Lightning-like yellow zig-zag bolts of energy could be magic.

Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:17 pm
Goldar wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:24 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:38 pm Once again, DC's mantra (since the "Crisis on Infinite Earths") of "If it's not broken, break it" kicked in.
'
Which means you were a kid in the late 1970s and early 1980s. You saw some reprints of comics from the 1960s.

That you didn't ankh symbols as representing magic, I can't help. Lightning-like yellow zig-zag bolts of energy.... Anyone who knows the one true Captain Marvel knows that Lightning-like yellow zig-zag bolts of energy could be magic.
:evil: Well, young as I was, I knew Ankh meant life, and I knew he was using some form of magical healing or something. What I meant was, I knew Fate was capable of a few magical feats, but I did not know all he was capable of doing at that time; I did not know he was DC's answer to Dr Strange.

Captain Marvel? No, Carol was still Ms Marvel back then. No magic involved. :twisted:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Goldar wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:27 am I did not know he was DC's answer to Dr Strange.
He wasn't. He pre-dated Doctor Stephen Strange by 23 years. The super hero Doc Strange pre-dated Doctor Fate by three months, though.

Curiously, Doctor Fate's first silver-age appearance was in 8/63 issue of "Justice League of America"; Dr. Strange debuted in the 7/63 issue of "Strange Tales". Given issue frequency, and preperation time, there's no way either could have influenced the other.

Thorpocalypse

Doctor Fate: Earth-FG1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

For sure. Fate was awesome in Injustice 2

Justice is blind, not heartless.