Batgirl III's RTP Builds

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
FuzzyBoots

Laurel Kent

Post by FuzzyBoots »

LAUREL KENT
DC Universe Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

Superman never made any money
For saving the world from Solomon Grundy
And sometimes I despair the world will never see
Another man like him.
ABILITIES
Strength 2 Stamina 14 Agility 4 Dexterity 2 Fighting 4 Intellect 2 Awareness 4 Presence 5

SKILLS
Athletics 8 (+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 10 (+16), Deception 5 (+10), Expertise [History] 8 (+10), Expertise [Superman] 3 (+5), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 7 (+12), Technology 3 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
All-Out Attack, Attractive (2), Close Attack (2), Equipment (6), Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical [Unarmed] (1), Improved Initiative (1), Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Interpose, Power Attack, Taunt, Ultimate Effort [Toughness Checks]

POWERS
Kryptonian Invulnerability Immunity 6 (Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Pressure, Radiation; Suffocation); Protection 1 (E Impervious [15]) [ 22 PP ]

Martial Arts Damage 2 (Strength-based) [ 2 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 30 EP )
Legion Flight Ring Communication 5 (Subspace, Anywhere; F: Limited to Distress Signal); Flight 7 (250 MPH) [ 19 EP ]
Telepathic Plug Communication 1 (Mental, Close Range; E: Subtle [1]); Comprehend 3 (Languages: Speak Any One at a Time, Understand All, Read All) [ 11 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 1
Parry: (5) Base 1
Fortitude: (14) Base 0
Toughness: (15) ——
Will: (6) Base 2

WORKSHEET
Attack: 16 Effect: 4 Total: 20 (Unarmed)
Dodge: 5 Tough.: 15 Total: 20
Parry: 5 Tough.: 15 Total: 20
Fort.: 14 Will: 6 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 74 pp ] + SKILLS [ 25 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 22 pp ] + POWERS [ 24 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 4 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
LEGION ACADEMY Laurel is not a full-member of the Legion of Superheroes. Although most of her cadet class has graduated to Legionnaire status, she officially remains a cadet.
MISTAKEN IDENTITY Laurel is said to be a near double of her distant ancestor, Lois Lane.
POWER LOSS Laurel loses her Kryptonian Invulnerability power and her Stamina is reduced to 3 under a red sun, like that of Krypton. Other effects draining or interfering with the energies of the yellow sun can deprive her of her powers.
RESPONSIBILITY Laurel feels a strong sense of responsibility to use his powers for the benefit of all.
VULNERABILITY Like all
Kryptonians, Laurel is vulnerable to magic. Her Toughness is not Impervious against magical attacks.

BACKGROUND
Date of Birth: Unknown (30th Century)
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 165 lbs.
Race: Human-Kryptonian Hybrid
Identity: Public
Relationships: Clark Kent (ancestor), Lois Lane (ancestor)
Legal Status: Citizen of the United Planets with no criminal record.

BUILD NOTES
Just for fun, one of my favorite Legionnaires!

Laurel Kent of Earth is a direct descendant of the last Kryptonian: Superman. However, being so many generations removed, she is left only with Kryptonian invulnerability. As "mere" invulnerability something that two of her teammates already posses, Laurel was disqualified from membership. Legion bylaws require each member to have one unique superpower, so for many years Laurel remained Legionnaire-in-training at the Legion Academy.

Laurel spent most of her time at Montauk Point with the rest of the Academy cadets being tutored by Bouncing Boy and his wife Duo Damsel. She made friends with her fellow Academy students, even as some stayed and some left, such as her former roommate, Dawnstar. She even had a few adventures alongside her distant ancestor, during Superboy's adventures with the Legion.

Somehow, despite standing almost as tall as Superboy (she's eye to eye with him in heels) and having his distinctive icy blue eyes and raven-black hair, everyone remarks on how she's a near double for Lois. Comics are weird.

Laurel was eventually revealed to actually be a Manhunter robot which survived the extinction of it's kind thousands of years earlier. But I think that idea was very, very, very, very stupid and have blocked it from my memory. Laurel was eventually retconned out of existance and sort-of replaced by Laurel Gand / Andromeda. The full history of Laurel Kent, brief as it is, can be read at Major Spoilers.

Laurel Kent only appears in something like fourteen or fifteen issues, scattered between `76 and `88... not counting cameos where she shows up way in the background of "Every Legion Member Ever" shots. Although, aparently she might have been de- or un- or perhaps re-retconned into existence in a fairly recent issue of Batman/Superman. But that would have been re- or un- or de-retconned post-Flashpoint. Maybe. Comic book continutity is head-ache inducing at the best of times, doubly so for the LSH, and exponentialy more so for a character who is basically the answer to an obscure LSH trivia question.

But, I'm stupidly fond of the character none the less. Laurel Gand/Andromeda took over her position on the team after one of the LSH's many reboots... but she never quite had the same personality. There was something about Laurel Kent's utterly optimisitc nature that Andromeda never quite captured. Laurel Kent could have been part of the "cool kids" clique, but they snubbed her; she could have been all high-and-mighty and too-cool for the other Legion rejects and wannabes, but she wasn't. Yes, I see the Legion of Superheroes as a giant metaphor for high school.

A few years ago, I got to play in an all-too-brief Legion Lost-inspired campaign. So I built Laurel Kent, since she's been a favorite of mine for years. This isn't a "straight" conversion of her appearances in the comics. I gave her more combat ability than she ever really displayed, dialed her invulnerability down from Silver Age to Modern Day levels, and used the modern LSH flight ring and telepathic plug. I didn't see any reason for her to wear a trans-suit. Just red boots, super-poncho, and a smile.

Yes folks, her most iconic costume is basically a sheer, almost-see-thru poncho. It's a concept so horrible that it loops right back `round to awesome in execution.
FuzzyBoots

Invisible Woman

Post by FuzzyBoots »

INVISIBLE WOMAN
Ready to Play Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

ABILITIES
Strength 1 Stamina 4 Agility 3 Dexterity 2 Fighting 4 Intellect 4 Awareness 3 Presence 4

SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 4 (+5), Deception 4 (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 5 (+9), Expertise [Science] 11 (+15), Insight 9 (+12), Investigation 4 (+8), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+8), Ranged Combat [Force Manipulation] 8 (+10), Technology 7 (+12), Treatment 4 (+8), Vehicles 3 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Assessment, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (3), Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative (1), Teamwork

POWERS
Invisibility Manipulation Array, 10 PP
Invisibility Concealment 4 (All Visual; E: Precise [1]) [ 9 PP ]
AE: Invisibility Field Concealment 2 (Normal Vision; E: Area [Burst, 30'], Attack, Selective; F: Increased Action [Move]) [ 1 PP ]

Force Manipulation Array, 29 PP
Force Field Protection 8 (E: Dynamic, Impervious [12] Subtle [2], Sustained) [ 23 PP ]
AE: Force Blast Damage 10 (E: Ranged, Subtle [2]) [ 2 PP ]
AE: Force Constructs Create 10 (E: Impervious, Movable, Subtle [2]; F: Feedback, Proportional) [ 2 PP ]
AE: Force Screening Immunity 6 (Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Pressure, Radiation; Suffocation [2]; E: Affects Others, Area [Shapeable], Subtle [2], Sustained) [ 2 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 2
Fortitude: (8) Base 4
Toughness: (15/7/4) ——
Will: (12) Base 9

WORKSHEET
Attack: 9 Effect: 1 Total: 10 (Unarmed)
Attack:Effect: 2 Total: 2 (Invisibility Field)
Attack: 10 Effect: 10 Total: 20 (Force Blast)
Attack: 10 Effect: 10 Total: 20 (Force Constructs)
Dodge: 5 Tough.: 15/7 Total: 20/12
Parry: 5 Tough.: 15/7 Total: 20/12
Fort.: 8 Will: 12 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 50 pp ] + SKILLS [ 35 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 10 pp ] + POWERS [ 39 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 16 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
Ready to Play Invisible Woman, like the rest of Marvel's first family, is a strong on her own but truly shines as a team player.

She's actually a better fighter and a better scientist than most people give her credit for. She's easily overshadowed by Reed's scientific feats— but so is every other scientist on Earth! Susan has been the "team mom" for decades. She's the organizer, the counselor, and the administrator; which in turn has made her a good diplomat and an effective investigator.

PLAYER NOTES
Ready to Play Invisible Woman's actual invisibility is the least impressive of her powers these days. Still as potent as ever, being untargetable is always a good thing in a fight. But, it's her force fields that truly make Susan Storm a powerhouse.

The Dynamic Array that all of her various uses of her force fields is nested in will require some practice if new players want to get the most out of it. But understanding of that array's nuances will be key.

PLAYER TIPS
Generally, you will want the Invisible Woman to take a defensive role in a fight. Keep the enemy hampered and your allies protected with clever use of Force Constructs; keep yourself and any "squishy" teammates under an Invisibility Field; and save the Force Blasts for targets of opportunity.

GAME MASTER NOTES
Ready to Play Invisible Woman integrates well into any team. A consummate team-player with a well-balanced blend of skills, powers, and sociability.

And yes, she's easily the most famous MILF in comics.
FuzzyBoots

Batgirl III

Post by FuzzyBoots »

BATGIRL III
DC Universe Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

I'll never take another life. Not even hers. So I'll pretend to go all out... and then I'll die. I don't have to do this. I can still study Batman's method. I can be good enough for the costume. I can be... mediocre. For a lifetime.

Or perfect.

For a year.
ABILITIES
Strength 2 Stamina 4 Agility 5 Dexterity 3 Fighting 8 Intellect 2 Awareness 5 Presence 2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 7 (+12), Athletics 6 (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 7 (+18), Insight 7 (+12), Intimidation 3 (+5), Investigation 5 (+7), Perception 4 (+8), Ranged Combat [Thrown] 8 (+13), Sleight of Hand 2 (+5), Stealth 15 (+20)

ADVANTAGES
Agile Feint, Assessment, Close Attack (3), Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (5), Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical [Unarmed (1)], Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trip, Ranged Combat (2), Redirect, Skill Mastery [Stealth], Takedown (1), Uncanny Dodge

POWERS
Read Body Language Affliction 5 (Resist/Recover: Will; Condition: Fighting Impaired and Vulnerable, Fighting Disabled and Defenseless; E: Extra Condition, Insidious [1], Ranged [Perception], Subtle [1]; F: Limited to Two Degrees, Limited to Defending/Attacking Batgirl Only, Limited to Mêlée Attacks) [ 7 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 23/25 EP )
Utility Belt (Array) [ 11 EP Total ]
Launching Grappling Hook Movement 2 (Safe-Fall, Swinging) [ 4 PP ]
AE: Move Object 3 (300 lbs.; Extras: Tether; Flaws: Limited Direction [Attraction]) [ 1 PP ]
Bat-Light Feature 1 (Ultraviolet Flashlight) [ 1 EP ]
Commlink [ 1 EP ]
Cutting Torch Damage 2 linked to Weaken Toughness 2 (Extras: Affects Only Objects) [ 1 EP ]
Handcuffs [ 1 EP ]
Rebreather [ 1 EP ]
Universal Tool Enhanced Advantage 1 (Improvised Tools) [ 1 EP ]

Bat Arsenal (Array) [ 12 EP Total ]
Batarang Damage 2 (Strength-based; E: Indirect [1], Homing [1], Ranged) [ 8 EP ]
Bolas Affliction 3 (Resist: Dodge, Recover: Strength; Condition: Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile; E: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Ranged; F: Diminished Range [1], Limited to Two Degrees) [ 1 EP ]
Shuriken Damage 1 (Strength-based; E: Accurate [1], Multiattack, Ranged) [ 1 EP ]
Sleep Gas Pellets Affliction 4 (Resist/Recover: Fortitude; Conditions: Fatigued, Exhausted, Asleep; E: Area [Cloud, 15']) [ 1 EP ]
Smoke Pellets Concealment 2 (Senes: Normal Vision; E: Attack, Area [Cloud, 15']) [ 1 EP ]

Other Equipment (Non-Array) [ 2 EP Total ]
Long Cape [ 1 EP ]
Starlight Lenses Senses 1 (Visual: Ultravision) [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (14) Base 9
Parry: (14) Base 6
Fortitude: (10) Base 6
Toughness: (6/4) ——
Will: (10) Base 5

WORKSHEET
Attack: 18 Effect: 2 Total: 20 (Unarmed)
Attack:Effect: 5 Total: 5 (Read Body Language)
Attack: 5 Effect: 3 Total: 8 (Grappling Hook)
Attack: 13 Effect: 4 Total: 17 (Batarang)
Attack: 13 Effect: 3 Total: 16 (Bolas)
Attack: 15 Effect: 3 Total: 18 (Shuriken)
Attack:Effect: 4 Total: 4 (Sleep Gas)
Dodge: 15 Tough.: 5 Total: 20
Parry: 15 Tough.: 5 Total: 20
Fort.: 10 Will: 10 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 62 pp ] + SKILLS [ 32 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 23 pp ] + POWERS [ 7 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 26 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
So, you might have guessed by now I'm something of a fan of Cassandra Cain. Despite a succession of really lousy creative teams assigned to her solo series (the first Asian-American heroine to have solo book mind you!) and some extremely odd decisions to have her turn evil, then not, then back, and then just up and quit to move to Hong Kong.... Oi vey. At any rate, Cassandra Cain is one of my personal favorite comic book characters of all time.

The official build in H&V Vol. 1 isn't bad. I simply feel it puts a little too much emphasis on her Equipment (which it even notes Cassandra doesn't use often) and is overly generous with her Fighting 10 Ability. No doubt Cassandra is an elite fighter with mêlée weapons, but she clearly prefers unarmed combat. The H&V build also left out her ability to read body language. It is true that her ability was said to be "removed" early in her solo series title, but I would argue it's still present throughout: simply at a dramatically reduced level. She essentially went from being precognitive to being nearly so.

PLAYER NOTES
As far as working as a Ready to Play Build, frankly, I wouldn't recommend her to new players. Cassandra Cain has sky-high accuracy with low damage, a massive Defense versus Toughness shift, and a pretty minimal skill-set. Getting the most out of her requires a player who really knows the best way to use all the Combat Maneuvers, exploit her Stealth Skill, and the dirty tricks her utility belt offers. But if you can combine all that, Batgirl is nasty in a fight.

PLAYER TIPS
Stealth is key. Stalk your targets from hiding, using Assessment, Insight, and Read Body Language to pick your primary target. Let tear gas, smoke pellets and shuriken thin out the mooks. When you do engage, don't just stand there toe-to-toe. Strike, then retreat back into hiding. You're an assassin, not a boxer: you don't need to stay in the ring, you don't have to let them punch back, and you don't fight fair.

GAME MASTER NOTES
Batgirl's incredibly high natural accuracy and her Read Body Language power add up to name her a helluva threat in close combat. But she's got some weaknesses:

Hordes Cassandra Cain is like a reverse Fezzik, as she has problems fighting crowds. Read Body Language is single target effect and she has minimal area of effect options in her utility belt. Cassandra routinely fights huge swarms of minions in her series: she wins eventually but these fights always last much longer than solos or small groups and she emerges much more bloody and battered.
Hard Targets Cassandra Cain has trouble dealing with invulnerable metahumans, heavily armored humans, or anybody with significant levels of Impervious Toughness. There isn't a Penetrating attack anywhere in her repertoire. Although she has pulled it off as a Power Stunt before (notably tagging clone Superboy through his impregnable tactile telekinesis force field. "I feel so... Pregnable.") (Cassandra Cain power stunting a hand to hand attack as a means of flirting. Yes! I love her.)
Robots and Crazy People Cassandra Cain depends a lot (perhaps too much) on her ability to Read Body Language. Targets that have no body language to read, like robots and androids; those people who are either disciplined enough to hide it, such as Lady Shiva and the Batman; or those who are just too crazy to understand, like Joker... These can all throw her off her game.

But remember, even at her worst, she still fights like a Bruce Lee on crack.
FuzzyBoots

Thing

Post by FuzzyBoots »

THING
Ready to Play Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

Fantastic Four Annual #17 wrote:Hey kiddies, do you know what time it is? IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
ABILITIES
Strength 12 Stamina 12 Agility 2 Dexterity 2 Fighting 8 Intellect 1 Awareness 3 Presence 3

SKILLS
Athletics 3 (+15), Deception 3 (+6), Expertise [Engineering] 7 (+8), Expertise [Streetwise] 4 (+5), Intimidation 7 (+10), Ranged Combat [Thrown] 6 (+8), Vehicles 8 (+10)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Fast Grab, Favored Environment [urban], Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Interpose, Power Attack, Taunt, Teamwork, Ultimate Effort [Toughness]

POWERS
Enhanced Ability (+3 STR; F: Limited to Lifting) [ 3 PP ]
Immunity 5 (Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Poison, Pressure, Radiation) [ 5 PP ]
Impervious Toughness 10 [ 10 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 6
Parry: (8) Base 0
Fortitude: (12) Base 0
Toughness: (12) ——
Will: (8) Base 5

WORKSHEET
Attack: 8 Effect: 12 Total: 20 (Unarmed)
Dodge: 8 Tough.: 12 Total: 20
Parry: 8 Tough.: 12 Total: 20
Fort.: 12 Will: 8 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 86 pp ] + SKILLS [ 19 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 16 pp ] + POWERS [ 18 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 11 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
Ready to Play Thing resembles the rest of the Fantastic Four is that he's a consummate team player: far stronger than most comic book brawlers and a far more skilled fighter than most comic book strongmen. Ben Grimm is usually the go-to guy for containing a raging Hulk or other rampaging giant monster, he's a smart and tactical fighter, with the durability to last against these heavy hitters and enough physical power to keep them interested in him. He usually doesn't score decisive solo victories: he let's Reed whip up a super gadget to zap the kajiu or keeps Hulk from doing too much collateral damage before he gets calms down.

PLAYER NOTES
Finding that balance-point between raw strongman smashing and clever martial artist technique is key to getting Thing to shine. Don't feel you need to concentrate on doing maximum damage right from the start, think like a boxer.

GAME MASTER NOTES
The everlovin' blue-eyed Thing is no problem at all to GM for. He fits in well with just about any campaign.
FuzzyBoots

Deathstroke

Post by FuzzyBoots »

DEATHSTROKE
Ready to Play Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

Tales of the Teen Titans (Vol 1) #55 wrote:You called me a villain. Never thought of myself as that. I'm a mercenary. A soldier for hire.
ABILITIES
Strength 4 Stamina 6 Agility 4 Dexterity 2 Fighting 8 Intellect 4 Awareness 3 Presence 2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 6 (+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+16), Deception 3 (+5), Insight 5 (+8), Intimidation 8 (+10), Investigation 8 (+12), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 6 (+8), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 10 (+13), Stealth 6 (+10), Vehicles 4 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Assessment, Close Attack (5), Eidetic Memory, Equipment (8), Evasion (1), Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Jack-of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack (1), Takedown (1), Well-Informed

POWERS
Enhanced Ability 2 (+2 STR; F: Limited to Lifting) [ 2 PP ]
Leaping 1 (15') [ 1 PP ]
Speed 2 (8 MPH) [ 2 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 40 EP )
Body Armor Protection 4 (E: Impervious [3]) [ 7 EP ]
Helmet Immunity 2 (Suffocation; F: Half-Effect); Senses 1 (Ultravision) [ 2 EP ]

Utility Belt Array, 6 EP
Commlink [ 1 EP ]
Cutting Torch Damage 2 linked to Weaken Toughness 2 (Extras: Affects Only Objects) [ 1 EP ]
Flashlight [ 1 EP ]
Medical Kit [ 1 EP ]
Multifunction Binoculars Senses 2 (Visual: Extended [1], Infravision) Feature 1 (Camera) [ 1 EP ]
Universal Tool Enhanced Advantage 1 (Improvised Tools) [ 1 EP ]

Battle Rifle Array, 17 EP
Full Automatic Damage 5 (E: Multiattack, Ranged) [ 15 EP ]
Semiautomatic Damage 5 (E: Accurate [1], Extended Range [1], Penetrating [3], Ranged) [ 1 EP ]
Under-Barrel Grenade Launcher Damage 5 (E: Area [Burst, 15'], Indirect [1], Ranged; F: Diminished Area [1]) [ 1 EP ]

Arsenal Array, 8 EP
Longsword Damage 3 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [2], Reach [1]) [ 6 EP ]
Light Pistol Damage 3 (E: Ranged) [ 1 EP ]
Paired Combat Knives Damage 3 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1], Improved Defense, Split [1]) [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 6
Parry: (10) Base 2
Fortitude: (10) Base 4
Toughness: (10/6) ——
Will: (10) Base 7

WORKSHEET
Attack: 13 Effect: 5 Total: 18 (Battle Rifle, Auto)
Attack: 15 Effect: 5 Total: 20 (Battle Rifle, Auto)
Attack:Effect: 5 Total: 5 (Grenade Launcher)
Attack: 13 Effect: 7 Total: 20 (Longsword)
Attack: 13 Effect: 3 Total: 16 (Light Pistol)
Attack: 13 Effect: 7 Total: 20 (Paired Knives)
Dodge: 10 Tough.: 10 Total: 20
Parry: 10 Tough.: 10 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 66 pp ] + SKILLS [ 35 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 25 pp ] + POWERS [ 5 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 19 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
Creating Ready to Play Deathstroke is a two-fold process: First, toning him down from the "one-man team-killer" heights you'd see in a pure conversion of his comic book incarnation; Second, keeping his mastery of both ranged and close-quarters combat, but staying within our budget.

As a result, our Ready to Play version of Deathstroke has lost a few of the more subtle nuances of the character: the super-intellect is toned down, his healing factor is gone (although with STA 6 he still heals quick), and he lost his superhuman senses (which most writers seem to forget he has anyway!). The biggest loss is probably his Kryptonian-cutting Promethium Sword and his team-baffling, gadget-laden Power Staff... But, it seems he hasn't used the staff much since the 1980's.

PLAYER NOTES
Ready to Play Deathstroke is a lethal weapon at both ranged and mêlée combat. The trick is knowing his limits in either area: get in close against targets that are better than you at range and vice-versa. His relatively few, low-ranked Powers might not look like much, but they open up a lot of options for maneuverability, getting to (or making) cover, and generally playing super-soldier.

GAMEASTER NOTES
Ready to Play Deathstroke brings nothing problematic to the table mechanically, really new players might need help understanding his equipment arrays but that's it. The problems Deathstroke brings to the table are purely character driven, since the DCU's most infamous killer-for-hire obviously won't mesh well with all campaigns. A grim Suicide Squad or Injustice: Gods Among Us campaign, a gritty Marvel Cinematic Universe or Arrow inspired story, and he should fit in just fine. Something closer to the "Four Color" end of the spectrum... You've got issues. But, when a player shows you a character name like "Deathstroke the Terminator," everybody probably knew that.
FuzzyBoots

Shang Chi

Post by FuzzyBoots »

SHANG CHI
Ready to Play Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

ABILITIES
Strength 3 Stamina 3 Agility 4 Dexterity 3 Fighting 8 Intellect 2 Awareness 4 Presence 2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 7 (+10), Close Combat [Martial Arts Weapons] 4 (+15), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+15), Deception 2 (+5), Expertise [Philosophy] 8 (+10), Expertise [Intelligence] 6 (+8), Insight 11 (+15), Intimidation 5 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+8), Ranged Combat [Thrown] 7 (+10), Stealth 4 (+8), Treatment 3 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Close Attack (3), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (5), Equipment (1), Evasion (1), Improve Critical [Unarmed (1)], Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Precise Attack [Close, Concealment], Redirect, Skill Mastery [Insight], Takedown (1), Throwing Mastery (1), Trance, Uncanny Dodge

POWERS
Master of Kung-Fu Damage 2 (Strength-based) [ 2 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 5 EP )
Nunchaku Damage 2 (Strength-based; E: Split [1]) [ 3 EP ]
Balisong (Butterfly Knife) Damage 1 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [2]) [ 1 EP ]
Shuriken Damage 1 (E: Multiattack, Ranged) [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (12) Base 8
Parry: (12) Base 4
Fortitude: (8) Base 5
Toughness: (8/3) ——
Will: (10) Base 6

WORKSHEET
Attack: 15 Effect: 5 Total: 20 (Unarmed)
Attack: 15 Effect: 5 Total: 20 (Nunchaku)
Attack: 15 Effect: 4 Total: 19 (Butterfly Knife)
Attack: 10 Effect: 2 Total: 12 (Shuriken)
Dodge: 12 Tough.: 8 Total: 20
Parry: 12 Tough.: 8 Total: 20
Fort.: 8 Will: 10 Total: 18

ABILITIES [ 58 pp ] + SKILLS [ 27 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 30 pp ] + POWERS [ 2 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 23 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
Ready to Play Shang Chi is equal parts adventurer and secret agent; he has the ability to handle super-heroic threats, but doesn't usually operate in that world. Shang Chi is a terrifying opponent for the "street-level" mundane opponents he usually goes up against, he's no push-over for big name super-villains either. Once every decade or so, Marvel has tried to move Shang-Chi away from his 1970's Kung Fu Fad / James Bond Mania / Blaxploitation roots. But, he never seems to catch-on.

PLAYER NOTES
Ready to Play Shang Chi might as well be subtitled "Master of Combat Advantages," given that twenty-nine of his thirty Advantages relate directly to fighting. You'll want to open most fights with Assessment (note his Insight Mastery), then select the "Adjective Attack" advantage that best adjusts your combat stats to match your opponent's. Ready to Play Shang Chi mostly relies on his unarmed attacks, but a couple of classic "Hong Kong Kung Fu Matinee" weapons give him some options: nunchaku for dealing with small crowds; the butterfly knife for extremely resistant foes (and simple utility, like cutting ropes or opening packages); and good old fashioned "Chinese Throwing Stars" for ranged harassment and thinning out large mook hordes.

GAME MASTER NOTES
Ready to Play Shang Chi fits best into any campaign that plans to focus on a more grounded side of superhero adventure. He's better suited for investigation, intrigue, and crime-fighting, as opposed to universe-spanning, cosmic epics... But, I think a clever player would be able to make him work even then. If Val Armorr can make the same power set work in the space opera future of the Legion of Super-Heroes, then Shang Chi can make it work in the modern day.

GAME MASTER TIPS
To really capture that "Hong Kong Kung Fu Matinee" feel, forget all that cultural sensitivity and foreign studies crud we've learned since the 1990's. Go back to using a 1970-80's style lexicon that was totally obsessed with Kung Fu, Karate, and all things Ninja, but had zero clue how any of it actually worked. Try to avoid going into a complete "Yellow Peril" racist caricature with this. The idea is too poke gentle fun at American culture, not Asian. So you want to misplace the origins of things, like "Chinese Throwing Stars." Ignore all that complex socio-political history, thus having Red Chinese Communist Shaolin Monks; and, when in doubt, send in the Ninja.
FuzzyBoots

Wildcat

Post by FuzzyBoots »

WILDCAT
Ready to Play Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

Justice Society of America (Vol. 3) #7 wrote:Fists are Nature's problem solvers.
ABILITIES
Strength 3 Stamina 4 Agility 3 Dexterity 2 Fighting 11 Intellect 0 Awareness 2 Presence 2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 5 (+8), Athletics 12 (+15), Close Combat [Unarmed] 5 (+16), Deception 3 (+5), Insight 8 (+10), Intimidation 8 (+10), Investigation 5 (+5), Perception 6 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+5), Stealth 5 (+8)

ADVANTAGES
Agile Feint, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (4), Diehard, Evasion (1), Fast Grab, Favored Foe [Martial Artists], Improved Defense, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trip, Luck (1), Power Attack, Takedown (1), Taunt

POWERS
The Sweet Science Damage 1 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [2]) [ 3 PP ]
Nine Lives Immortality 19 (6 Seconds; E: Subtle [1]; F: Unreliable [five uses]) [ 20 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (12) Base 9
Parry: (12) Base 1
Fortitude: (10) Base 6
Toughness: (8/4) ——
Will: (10) Base 8

WORKSHEET
Dodge: 12 Tough.: 8 Total: 20
Parry: 12 Tough.: 8 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 54 pp ] + SKILLS [ 30 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 19 pp ] + POWERS [ 23 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 24 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
Ready to Play Wildcat is designed to reflect his reputation as one of the best fighters in the DC Universe: not only is he a master of unarmed combat, he's got decades of experience working to justify great skill with mêlée weaponry too... Although his true love will always be the Sweet Science of Boxing. The man simply delights in showing up practitioners of the more esoteric or flashy martial disciplines with his good old fashioned fisticuffs. Ted Grant knows those arts deserve respect, but he also knows that in a real fight "Rising Crane Snatches Frog" isn't quite as efficient as "Barstool To Back Of The Head."

PLAYER NOTES
Ready to Play Wildcat, like most unarmed heroes, gets a lot of mileage out of his Advantages, but note that he doesn't posses the full range of "Adjective Attack" feats. Those combat maneuvers are still available to him, but Wildcat favors a more consistent, conservative approach compared to the flashier martial styles of Batgirl III or Shang Chi.

PLAYER TIPS
Ted Grant's mastery of the Sweet Science also has him scoring a critical hit on a 18-20. Meaning you'll see critical hits with far greater frequency than most players. Read up on all the various ways M&M allows crits to be used. Adding bonus damage is fine, but sometimes alternate effects are better. I am especially fond of Afflictions that debuff a tough opponent in ways beneficial to the rest of the heroes in your party.

GAME MASTER NOTES
Immortality, especially with so dramatically a short "re-spawn time" as Ready to Play Wildcat, seems like it should be disruptive to a campaign... But, honestly, it doesn't come up too much. M&M3e is systematically designed that player characters generally won't die due to random happenstance of the dice. A player has to go out of their way to end up dead. Players with Immortality might sometimes do deliberately suicidal acts counting on their power to save them... But, Wildcat only has five tickets left to punch.

ALTERNATE BUILD
For a Golden Age version of Ready to Play Wildcat, you can make a PL8/120PP version of him quite easily: remove his Nine Lives power, reduce Defensive Roll, Dodge, Fortitude, and Will by two pips each and drop his Fighting by four points. Then buy him a few more Advantages, say... Contacts, Equipment (2), and Luck (2). This gives him some informants, a motorcycle, and a bit more luck out there on the mean streets.
FuzzyBoots

Namor

Post by FuzzyBoots »

NAMOR
Ready to Play Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

IMPERIOUS REX!
ABILITIES
Strength 8 Stamina 8 Agility 4 Dexterity 2 Fighting 8 Intellect 1 Awareness 3 Presence 5

SKILLS
Athletics 4 (+12), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+12), Expertise [Oceanography] 4 (+5), Insight 5 (+8), Intimidation 7 (+12), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+8), Ranged Combat [Thrown] 6 (+8)

ADVANTAGES
Attractive (2), Benefit [Prince of Atlantis (2)], Close Attack (2), Defensive Roll (2), Favored Environment [aquatic, aerial; (2)], Languages [Atlantean, English; (1)], Leadership, Power Attack, Startle

POWERS
Aquatic Immunity 3(Drowning, Environmental Cold, Pressure); Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation [aquatic]); Senses 2 (Darkvision) [ 7 PP ]

Atlantean Physique Enhanced Attribute 4 (+4 STR; F: Limited to Lifting); Impervious Toughness 6 (F: Limited to Physical) [ 7 PP ]

Swimming 10 (500 MPH) [ 10 PP ]
AE: Flight 7 (250 MPH; E: Subtle [1]; F: Wings) [ 1 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 6
Parry: (10) Base 2
Fortitude: (10) Base 2
Toughness: (10/2) ——

WORKSHEET
Attack: 12 Effect: 8 Total: 20 (Unarmed)
Dodge: 10 Tough.: 10 Total: 20
Parry: 10 Tough.: 10 Total: 20
Fort.: 10 Will: 8 Total: 18

ABILITIES [ 78 pp ] + SKILLS [ 18 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 14 pp ] + POWERS [ 25 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 15 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
Given that Namor is one of the oldest comic book characters still in print, it's no surprise his power levels have varied tremendously over the decades. With Ready to Play Namor we have to narrow out focus a bit and differentiate him from Aquaman. The difference lies mostly with Namor's focus on raw physicality: he doesn't summon creatures from the deep, eschews armor, rarely uses weapons. The Avenging Son of Atlantis just rips into his foes bare-handed and bare-chested.

PLAYER NOTES
Ready to Play Namor is essentially a "flying brick," albeit not as quite invulnerable as most. He more makes up for that if you can get your opponents into the water.

Believe it or not, but Namor also have stronger social skills than Aquaman. He's imperious, domineering, and quick to anger... But, he's a better statesman, oozes raw animal magnetism, and when he speaks, people listen. One should note, however, that Namor is not a politician as were used to in the modern world. He's much more the warrior-prince you'd see in historical figures like Charlemagne, Richard the Lionhearted, or Oda Nobunaga; or fictional rulers like Robert Barathenon or the literary Conan.

PLAYER TIPS
Role play Namor like he owns any room he walks into. When you speak, expect to be obeyed. When you act, act decisively. Be slow to anger, but terrible once roused. When in doubt, shout Imperious Rex! and power attack something.

GAME MASTER NOTES
My comments on environmentally specialized heroes from my Aquaman build apply here. But, since Namor doesn't have aquatic telepathy to summon sea monsters with and his flight opens up some options outside the ocean, Namor might actually be easier to integrate into a group.

ATTRACTIVE (2)
Yes, not only have I given Namor one of the Advantages I am most reluctant to ever give a character, I have given him two ranks in it. It's not just that Namor is good-looking (although he is) or that he is well-versed in wooing the ladies (although he is), it is also that he is damn good at it. I think its a combination of his looks, his confidence (the man is pure alpha male, to quote Catsi), and his warrior-poet way of speaking. Namor doesn't play the deceptive, constantly flirting charmer like Gambit or Booster Gold; But when he does turn on the charm almost no one can resist him.

MANCRUSH MONDAY: COSPLAY EDITION
I think Kara is just made she won't win the Most Fanservice Cosplay Contest...

Susan, I know you love Reed, but do you realize how long Namor can hold his breath!?

I'll be in my Bat-Cave.
FuzzyBoots

Iceman

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Iceman
Marvel Universe Ready-to-Play
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

Wolverine and the X-Men (Vol. 1) #2 wrote:My name is Bobby Drake. Iceman. I've been an X-Man, an X...Factor-ian, a Defender, a Champion (don't ask). I've been a super hero since before I was old enough to shave. I've stood side by side with the toughest, most powerful heroes in the known universe and always held my own. But today... Today I need to be something more. So go ahead, call me a joke if you want. Label me the X-Man with the lamest power ever. But a man of untapped potential? Don't you dare ever call me that again!
ABILITIES
Strength 1(4) Stamina 1 Agility 3 Dexterity 1
Fighting 5 Intellect 2 Awareness 2 Presence 3

POWERS
Ice Form (Alternate Form) (18 PP Base; F: Activation [Standard, -2]) [ 16 PP Total ]
Enhanced Strength 3 [ 6 PP ]
Protection 12 [ 12 PP ]

Thermokinesis (Array) [ 67 PP Total ]
Ice Slide Flight 3 (16 MPH; E: Affects Others; F: Platform) [ 6 PP ]
Thermal Vision Senses 1 (Visual: Infravision) [ 1 PP ]
Sub-Zero Body Temperature Immunity 10 (All Cold Effects [10]); Immunity 10 (All Fire/Heat Effects; F: Half Effect) [ 15 PP ]
Freezing Beam Damage 10 (E: Accurate [1], Ranged, Secondary Effect [4], Split [1]) [ 26 ]
AE: Flash Freeze Affliction 12 (Resist: Dodge; Recover: Fortitude; Conditions: Hindered and Vulnerable, Immobile and Defenseless; E: Contagious [2 Ranks], Extra Condition, Ranged; F: Limited to Two Degress) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Ice Sculpting Create 8 (E: Continuous, Innate) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Blizzard Environment 4 (250'; Extreme Cold [2]; Impede Movement [2], Impede Visibility [1]; E: Increased Duration [Continuous], Selective; F: Activation [Standard]) [ 1 PP

ADVANTAGES
Defensive Roll (1), Extraordinary Effort, Favored Environment [Extreme Cold], Languages [Spanish; Base: English] (1), Move-By Action, Set-Up (1), Taunt

SKILLS
Close Attack [Unarmed] 3 (+8), Deception 7 (+10), Expertise [Art] 3 (+5), Expertise [Business] 6 (+8), Expertise [Pop Culture] 3 (+5), Insight 3 (+5), Ranged Attack [Thermokinesis] 7 (+8), Treatment 3 (+5), Vehicles 3 (+4)

DEFENSE
Dodge (6) Base 3
Parry: (6) Base 1
Fortitude: (10) Base 9
Toughness: (2/14) Base -
Will: (10) Base 8

WORKSHEET
Attack 8 Effect 4 Total: 12 (Unarmed)
Attack 10 Effect 10 Total: 20 (Freezing Beam)
Attack 8 Effect 12 Total: 20 (Flash Freeze)
Dodge 6 Tough. 14 Total: 20
Parry 6 Tough. 14 Total: 20
Fort. 10 Will 10 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 36 pp ] + SKILLS [ 19 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 7 pp ] + POWERS [ 67 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 21 pp ] = 150 PP TOTAL

Player Notes
Bobby is a pretty well-rounded PL10, but he's used to his natural immunities, protection, and ice constructs shielding him, leaving his active defenses lower than they might initially appear. It is almost always worthwhile to summon a Blizzard early in a fight. It may keep him from jumping into the action immediately, it's a solid debuff for the bad guys and an excellent buff for Iceman and his allies.

Game Master Notes
Game Masters may need to help new players grapple with the Create Power and explain the full benefits of Environment Control. But he's not a problematic addition to a campaign and, in fact, a pretty fun variation of the typical "blaster" archetype as he brings some fun control options and (unlike most) isn't squishy!

Plus, he's one if the only superheroes to also be a Certified Public Accountant, always handy to have on a team, so he can help you write-off the mortgage interest on the Secret Lair and declare gas bombs as business expenses.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Firestorm the Nuclear Man

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Firestorm the Nuclear Man
DC Universe Ready to Play
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

ABILITIES
Strength 4 Stamina 8 Agility 4 Dexterity 4
Fighting 2 Intellect 0 Awareness 2 Presence 2

POWERS
Nuclear Control (Array) [ 28 PP Total ]
Atomic Rearrangement Transform 6 (Anything to Anything, 50 lbs.; E: Ranged; F: Check Required [Expertise: Science; DC20]) [ 26 PP ]
AE: Atomic Flame Damage 12 (E: Incurable, Ranged, Variable Descriptor [Radiation]) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Atomic Phasing Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal; E: Reaction) [ 1 PP ]

Senses 8 (Visual: Analytical [2], Extended [1], Infravision, Microscopic Vision [4]) [ 8 PP ]
Flight 7 (250 MPH) [ 14 PP ]
Professor Stein’s Presence Enhanced Advantages 2 (Eidetic Memory, Ultimate Effort [Expertise: Science]); Enhanced Skill 10 (Expertise: Science +10) [ 7 PP ]

ADVANTAGES
Defensive Roll (2), Evasion, Move-by Action, Power Attack

SKILLS
Athletics 4 (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 8 (+10), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise [Science] 5 (+5/+15), Ranged Combat [Nuclear Control] 4 (+8)

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 6
Parry: (10) Base 8
Fortitude: (8) Base 0
Toughness: (8/10) Base -
Will: (12) Base 10

WORKSHEET
Attack 10 Effect 4 Total: 14 (Unarmed)
Attack 8 Effect 6 Total: 14 (Atomic Rearrangement)
Attack 8 Effect 12 Total: 20 (Atomic Flame)
Dodge 10 Tough. 10 Total: 20
Parry 10 Tough. 10 Total: 20
Fort. 8 Will 12 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 52 pp ] + SKILLS [ 12 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 5 pp ] + POWERS [ 57 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 24 pp ] = 150 PP TOTAL

Build Notes
Firestorm the Nuclear Man is a bit of an oddity amongst the heroes of the DCU. In all my long years in the fandom, I've never yet met anyone who disliked the character or didn't find his gestalt-nature and atomic rearrangement powers to be anything but unique. On the other hand, I've never yet met anyone who would call themselves a "Firestorm Fan." No one seems to hate the guy (unlike Hand Pym's active hatedom), but nobody seems to really like him either. I was content just with the writers of CW's The Flash including Ronnie Raymond as a background character, when they started teasing his transformation into Firestorm I really didn't expect him to be a recurring character -- even in 2015, his trademark "burning man" appearance isn't a budget-friendly effect. Apparently, in the upcoming third series of the growing DCU-CW-verse, Martin Stein will be a regular. I'm hopeful that the increased television exposure might be enough to boost the comic book Firestorm from the D-List to the B-List.

Player Tips
For the most part, Firestorm is a "flying artillery" character, not that great in close-quarters and relying on flight and energy blasts. That part is straight forward and fairly generic, what makes Firestorm unique is also the thing that makes him complicated to play: Atomic Rearrangement. Transform is an extremely open-ended power and you possess it at its most open-ended: Literally transforming anything into anything. Take time to read over the Transform power, taking note of its limitations and coming up with a few favorite tricks in advance. Players new to roleplaying might want to steer clear, but if you can think quickly and creativly, it will be a ton of fun.
FuzzyBoots

Braniac 5

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Brainiac 5
DC Universe Ready-to-Play[/i]
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP )

ABILITIES
Strength 0 Stamina 0 Agility 2 Dexterity 2
Fighting 4 Intellect 13 Awareness 6 Presence 1

POWERS
Twelfth Level Intellect Comprehend 3 (Languages: Speak Any One at a Time, Understand All, Read All); Quickness 10 (F: Limited to Mental Tasks) [ 11 PP ]

DEVICES
Force Field Belt Protection 15 (F: Continuous [0], Impervious [10], Removable [-1 per 5]) [ 20 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 45 EP )
Legion Flight Ring Communication 5 (Subspace, Anywhere F: Limited to Distress Signal); Flight 7 (250 MPH) [ 19 EP ]
Telepathic Plug Communication 1 (Mental, Close Range; E: Subtle [1]); Comprehend 3 (Languages: Speak Any One at a Time, Understand All, Read All) [ 11 EP ]
Transuit Immunity 6 (Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Pressure, Radiation; Suffocation) [ 6 EP ]
Handheld Scanner Variable 1 (5 PP Traits; F: Limited to Senses, Slow) [ 7 EP ]

ADVANTAGES
Assessment, Beginner’s Luck, Eidetic Memory, Equipment (9), Improvised Tools, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Set-Up, Skill Mastery [Expertise: Science, Technology] (2), Taunt, Well-Informed

SKILLS
Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+8), Deception 4 (+5), Expertise [Medicine] 5 (+18), Expertise [Science] 7 (+20), Insight 4 (+10), Investigation 5 (+18), Perception 9 (+15), Technology 7 (+20), Treatment 5 (+18)

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 3
Fortitude: (8) Base 8
Toughness: (0/15) Base -
Will: (12) Base 6

WORKSHEET
Attack 8 Effect 0 Total: 8 (Unarmed)
Dodge 5 Tough. 15 Total: 20
Parry 5 Tough. 15 Total: 20
Fort. 8 Will 12 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 56 pp ] + SKILLS [ 25 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 20 pp ] + POWERS [ 31 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 18 pp ] = 150 PP TOTAL

Player Notes
Ready to Play Brainiac 5 is smart, that should go without saying, but take a moment to look at just how spectacularly smart he is. Jack of All Trades allows him to use any Skill untrained, Eidetic Memory grants a +5 bonus to Expertise Skills... That's a +18 modifier to use an Expertise Skill he doesn't have, burn a Hero Point (for Beginners' Luck) and he can throw a +23 modifier at an untrained Expertise check. The Eidetic Memory Advantage applies to the Expertise Skills he is trained in, making them an effective +23 and +25, respectively. With his Skill Mastery, Inventor, and a couple of Hero Points to spend: yowza!

Player Tips
Ready to Play Brainiac 5 is a powerhouse in a support role, but pretty lackluster in combat. His forcefield belt allows him excellent protection, but he lacks offense. Although Brainy is more than capable of using Inventor to whip up a super-science ray gun at a moments notice, it isn't in keeping with his comic book depictions to have him keep one on him. Take some time to review the Inventing rules, you'll be using it a lot.

Game Master Notes
As I have mentioned with every other Ready to Play hero that has the Inventor Advantage, the open-ended nature of the feat can sometimes prove problematic. Striking the right balance between letting a super-inventor like Brainiac 5 coming up with a miracle device that solves all the heroes' problems (which is his whole schtick) and keeping the player from using a single Skill Check to solve all of the players' problems (which is incredibly boring) is a delicate tightrope for a GM to walk. My advice, first and foremost, is to always try to work with your players and not against them. If you think they're relying too much on Inventor, ask them to maybe dial it back. Also, don't be afraid to have an otherwise successful Invention fail to work once it's been used a time or two too many — it's a classic trope in the comics and can fuel many a new adventure. That's what Hero Points for Complications are for.
FuzzyBoots

Triplicate Girl

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Triplicate Girl
Triplicate Girl
Triplicate Girl
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

ABILITIES
Strength 2 Stamina 1 Agility 3 Dexterity 2
Fighting 4 Intellect 2 Awareness 3 Presence 2

POWERS
Triplication Summon 7 (105 PP; E: Heroic, Horde, Multiple Minions [Two Minions]) [ 49 Points ]
Fighting Style Enhanced Advantages 2 (Set-Up [1], Teamwork; F: Limited to Duplicates) [ 1 Points ]

EQUIPMENT ( 35 EP )
Legion Flight Ring Communication 5 (Subspace, Anywhere F: Limited to Distress Signal); Flight 7(250 MPH; F: Distracting [1 Rank]) [ 18 EP ]
Transuit Immunity 6 (Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Pressure, Radiation; Suffocation) [ 6 EP ]

ADVANTAGES
Defensive Roll (5), Equipment (7)

SKILLS 52
Acrobatics 5 (+8), Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat [Unarmed] 8 (+12), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise [Teaching] 3 (+5), Insight 5 (+8), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+5), Sleight of Hand 3 (+5), Stealth 5 (+8)

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 7
Parry: (10) Base 6
Fortitude: (8) Base 7
Toughness: (1/6) Base -

WORKSHEET
Attack 12 Effect 2 Total: 14 (Unarmed)
Dodge 10 Tough. 6 Total: 16
Parry 10 Tough. 6 Total: 16
Fort. 8 Will 8 Total: 16

ABILITIES [ 38 pp ] + SKILLS [ 25 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 12 pp ] + POWERS [ 50 (1) pp ] + DEFENSES [ 25 pp ] = 150 (101) PP TOTAL

Player Notes
Ready to Play Triplicate Girl can summon two exact duplicates of herself, with identical statistics except they lack the Triplication Power. Triplicate Girl is a skilled hand-to-hand fighter, although she's significantly below par for her Power Level; However, her built-in three-to-one advantage can even the odds in a way not directly measured by my PL Worksheet. Triplicate Girl is alsoa member of the Legion of Superheroes' Espionage Squad, where she has proven herself a capable investigator, scout, and spy; Again, she's not the greatest member of the team in this role, but she's got the advantage of numbers.

Player Tips
Ready to Play Triplicate Girl, by herself, is only PL7 on offense and PL8 on defense. She's not built to hold the frontline in a fight, leave that to your more powerful teammates, and concentrate on sneaking around the periphery of the fight: rescuing civilians, beating up Minions, and using Aid Actions to help your friends. Outside of combat, you're strength as an investigator lies not so much in raw Skill as it does in the ability to cover a lot of ground.

Game Master Notes
Summoning is one of those Powers that I generally caution against allowing the player's to have carte blanche over. The key is to keep the summoned critters either fairly low in power, fairly low in number, or both. Ready to Play Triplicate Girl actually has very powerful Summoned Creatures (they're effectively PL7.5 and Heroic) but she only has two of them and is sub-PL herself. The only real trick with integrating Triplicate Girl into a campaign is ensuring that her player doesn't slow down the game too much detailing all three of his Actions per Turn. I recommend that you adopt a general rule-of-thumb that when he can't decide quickly what to do with a duplicate, you just assume it uses an Aid Action.
FuzzyBoots

Multiple Man

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Multiple Man
Marvel Universe Ready to Play
Power Level 8 ( 120 PP)

ABILITIES
Strength 2 Stamina 2 Agility 1 Dexterity 1
Fighting 3 Intellect 2 Awareness 1 Presence 1

POWERS
Multiplication Summon 5 (75 PP; E: Horde, Multiple Minions [Eight Minions]) [ 45 Points ]
Fighting Style Enhanced Advantages 4 (Set-Up [3], Teamwork; F: Limited to Duplicates) [ 2 Points ]

ADVANTAGES
Beginners' Luck, Defensive Roll (3), Eidetic Memory, Equipment (2), Jack-of-All-Trades

SKILLS
Athletics 6 (+8), Close Attack [Unarmed] 5 (+8), Deception 7 (+8), Expertise [Streetwise] 6 (+8), Expertise [Pop Culture] 6 (+8), Expertise [Science] 8 (+10), Investigation 8 (+10), Perception 5 (+6), Technology 6 (+8), Treatment 3 (+5)

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 4
Parry: (5) Base 2
Fortitude: (5) Base 3
Toughness: (2/5) Base -
Will: (5) Base 4

WORKSHEET
Attack 8 Effect 2 Total: 10 (Unarmed)
Dodge 5 Tough. 5 Total: 10
Parry 5 Tough. 5 Total: 10
Fort. 5 Will 5 Total: 10

ABILITIES [ 22 pp ] + SKILLS [ 30 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 8 pp ] + POWERS [ 47 (2) pp ] + DEFENSES [ 13 pp ] = 120 (75) PP TOTAL

Build Notes
Ready to Play Multiple Man deliberately leaves off his "Absorbs Kinetic Energy and Involuntarily Creates a Dupe" aspect to his power for ease of play. Advanced players can add that in if they want, but it would be a bit more complex than I want for a Ready to Play hero (Summon is complicated enough.)

Player Notes
Ready to Play Multiple Man is built similarly to Triplicate Girl, although his Skills and Advantages reflect his particular background as Moira MacTaggert's laboratory assistant, government agent, private investigator, and, well, every other odd-job out there at one point or another. The primary difference between the two is Madrox's reliance on far greater numbers of Summoned Duplicates.

Player Tips
Ready to Play Multiple Man is under-capped for a hero of his Power Level, however, he brings a nine-to-one advantage in numbers to any fight. Obviously, in the comic books, Multiple Man is capable of duplicating himself in much larger numbers; this had to be sacrificed in order to both fit Madrox into this Power Point budget and for simplified play: nine actions per turn ought to be enough to feel like a horde of heroes without bogging down game-play too much. It is quite a bit of time your character will be active compared to the other players, so try to be quick and decisive when it comes to your turn. You don't want to annoy your friends by "ummm'ing and ahh'ing" nine times every round.

Game Master Notes
As I mentioned with Triplicate Girl, Summoning is a Powers that I generally recommend be approached with caution. With Ready to Play Multiple Man, I think you should be okay given the fairly low power of the duplicates -- only an effective PL5 and Minions at that -- the only real trouble will be dealing with the "action economy" at the table. Keep any players who have trouble deciding quickly on a course of action far away from Summoning!
FuzzyBoots

Ultra Boy

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ultra Boy
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

ABILITIES
Strength 2(12) Stamina 2 Agility 3 Dexterity 2
Fighting 8 Intellect 1 Awareness 4 Presence 4

POWERS
Ultra Power Array ( 35 PP Total )
Ultra-Strength Enhanced Strength 20 (F: Limited to Lifting [10 Ranks]) [ 30 PP ]
AE: Flash Vision Damage 15 (E: Ranged) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Invulnerability Immunity 6 (Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Pressure, Radiation; Suffocation); Protection 10 (E:Impervious [14]) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Ultra-Flight Flight 15 (64,000 MPH) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Ultra-Speed Enhanced Defenses 7 (+1 Dodge and +6 Parry); Quickness 9 (1 Hour/6 Seconds); Speed 14 (32,000 MPH) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Ultra-Vision Senses 12 (Extended Vision [3], Infravision [1], Microscopic Vision [4], Vision Penetrates Concealment [4]) [ 1 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 35 EP )
Legion Flight Ring Communication 5 (Subspace, Anywhere; F: Limited to Distress Signal); Flight 7(250 MPH; F: Distracting [1 Rank]) [ 18 EP ]

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive (1), Defensive Attack, Equipment (7), Favored Environment [Urban], Improved Critical [Unarmed] (1), Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack (2), Takedown (1), Taunt

SKILLS
Deception 10 (+14), Expertise [Streetwise] 11 (+12), Investigation 4 (+5), Perception 4 (+8), Stealth 5 (+8), Technology 4 (+5), Treatment 4 (+5), Vehicles 8 (+10)

DEFENSE
Dodge (8/14) Base 5
Parry: (8/14) Base 0
Fortitude: (10) Base 8
Toughness: (2/12) Base -
Will: (10) Base 6

WORKSHEET
Attack 8 Effect 2 Total: 10 (Unarmed)
Attack 8 Effect 12 Total: 20 (Ultra-Strength)
Attack 5 Effect 15 Total: 20 (Flash Vision)
Dodge 14/8 Tough. 2/12 Total: 16/20
Parry 14/8 Tough. 2/12 Total: 16/20
Fort. 10 Will 10 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 52 pp ] + SKILLS [ 25 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 19 pp ] + POWERS [ 35 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 19 pp ] = 150 PP TOTAL

Build Notes
Anybody who has been hanging around my character threads over the years has seen Doctor Marvel, one of my favorite original characters I've ever built. Doctor Marvel is inspired mainly by three heroes: the general mythos of Captain Marvel, the "day job" of Doc Samson, and the "one-at-a-time" power set of Ultra Boy. In my opinion, this sort of array which allows a hero to do just about everything but always having to make a trade-off as too which of those things he can do, is incredibly fun to play.

Player Notes
Ready to Play Ultra Boy is a variation on the classic comic book paragon, but limited to only using a single one of his Ultra Powers at a time. As a result, he never quite fills all of his Power Level caps. You'll need to choose which your powers best suits the situation, round by round, as well as which of your PL caps you're willing to risk being weaker. Just as in the comics, Ultra Boy's Legionnaire gear helps off-set his need to use Ultra-Flight and the life-support aspects of his Invulnerability for simple utility. On the other hand, those powers offer significant advantages over the Flight Ring and Transuit. It's all about trade offs.

Game Master Notes
As long as your player understands how Alternate Effect arrays operate (and doesn't spend too much time deciding which power to use each turn) Ready to Play Ultra Boy is very easy to handle in any campaign. The "one-at-a-time" power set can sometimes make the character seem to step on the toes of other heroes; I've played Doctor Marvel in a couple of campaigns where she's been faster than the Speedster, stronger than the Powerhouse, et cetera... Which can cause a bit of friction at the table. No one likes having their character's niche intruded upon. Usually after a few game sessions when the "one-at-a-time" hero is stuck in a situation where he or she is at a significant disadvantage because of their power sets limitations the other characters begin to feel better about occasionally sharing their niche.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Killer Frost

Post by FuzzyBoots »

This isn't actual comic book art. I don't think anyone will care.

Killer Frost
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

ABILITIES
Strength 0 Stamina 2 Agility 4 Dexterity 4
Fighting 3 Intellect 4 Awareness 3 Presence 1

POWERS
Environmental Effects Environment 5 (500'; Extreme Cold [2]; Impede Movement [1]; E: Continuous; F: Quirk [Semi-permanent effect, never less than 6' Radius]) [ 19 PP ]
Heat Absorption Immunity 11 (All Heat Effects [10]; Environmental Cold [1]) [ 11 PP ]
Icy Body Sheath Protection 8 [ 8 PP ]

Cryokinesis (Array) [ 26 PP Total ]
Freezing Beam Damage 10 (E: Ranged, Secondary Effect [4 Ranks]) [ 24 PP ]
AE: Flash Freeze Affliction 10 (Resist: Dodge; Recover: Fortitude; Conditions: Hindered and Vulnerable, Immobile and Defenseless; E: Contagious [4 Ranks], Extra Condition, Ranged; F: Limited to Two Degress) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Ice Sculpting Create 11 (E: Permanent, Innate) [ 1 PP ]

ADVANTAGES
Attractive (1), Defensive Attack, Power Attack

SKILLS
Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+5), Deception 5 (+6), Expertise [Science] 8 (+12), Insight 2 (+5), Perception 5 (+8), Ranged Combat [Cryokinesis] 6 (+10), Technology 6 (+10)

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 6
Parry: (10) Base 7
Fortitude: (10) Base 8
Toughness: (2/10) Base -
Will: (6) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack 5 Effect 8 Total: 8 (Unarmed)
Attack 10 Effect 10 Total: 20 (Freezing Beam)
Attack 10 Effect 10 Total: 20 (Flash Freeze)
Dodge 10 Tough. 10 Total: 20
Parry 10 Tough. 10 Total: 20
Fort. 10 Will 6 Total: 12

ABILITIES [ 42 pp ] + SKILLS [ 17 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 3 pp ] + POWERS [ 64 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 24 pp ] = 150 PP TOTAL

Player Notes
By request, here's Ready to Play Killer Frost. As an infrequently used villain, its hard to come up with a lot of Skills and Advantages for her, since she doesn't get much time in the spotlight. Ready to Play Killer Frost does have solid scienctific skills, well-rounded defenses, and a lot of powerful offensive options. The obvious point of comparision is my earlier build of Ready to Play Iceman. Killer Frost lacks Bobby's melee capability, manuveribility, and his immunity to cold; Killer Frost has better balanced defenses, a slightly stronger offense, and complete immunity to heat instead of Bobby's half effect.

Player Tips
Quite unusally for an ice- or cold-themed character, Killer Frost does not have any special immunity to cold effects (apart from local environmental conditions) and is actually dependent on sources of heat. If deprived of a heat source for any signifigant amount of time she may actually begin freezing solid: stunned and immobile. On the other hand, her Heat Absorption ability not only makes her immune to the sterotypical weakness of cold-themed characters it has also proven a potent source of Power Stunts. Freezing an enemy solid with a kiss, detecting an enemy by their body heat, absorbing heat to boost her physical abilities, and other such tricks can all be justified. Read up on the Power Stunt rules and bank some Hero Points!

Game Master Notes
Game Masters may need to help new players grapple with the Create Power and explain the full benefits of Environment Control, but otherwise, Ready to Play Killer Frost is pretty easy to handle. Obviously, as the comic book Killer Frost is a villain, integrating her into a heroic team may take some doing, but that's between you and your players.