Ken's Kache of Khracters (too many Hydronauts and Devilfishes)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Goldar, Superman, RCU Heroes & Villains)

Post by Ken » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Yeah, I discussed this a little at the other place...
Ken from the Other Place wrote:
Jabroniville wrote: I find it funny you keep getting crammed into a "Leadership" role- does everyone else just like playing That Guy, the Moody Rebel, or the Dumb Powerhouse?
Yeah. Pretty much. In my game, Jim plays the leader. In Jim's game, I play the leader. Anthony plays the quirky scientist hero. Katie plays the quirky chick. Neil's characters actually have more some variety to them, and he tries to fill different roles, but none of them are the leader. Other Ken is the new-to-gaming-guy, so he's not found his niche yet.

In Andy's game, Neil plays the nominal leader, who tends to repeat the "suggestions" my character, the ice-powered ex-hockey star, gives out. Jim is playing the Former Outcast, so is eschewing doing anything leaderly. And Andy's a recluse, so Neil, Jim and I are his only players.

And then there's Neil's game... At first, Jim was playing the Former Outcast he now plays in Andy's game. And I was playing the ex-hockey guy. So, naturally, Neil looked to the Former Outcast to be the leader(???) and pretty much ignored the ex-hockey guy. This led to those characters switching campaigns, and a lot of double-talk why all the NPCs were looking at the hideous, no-eyed, four-armed guy with a skin condition like he was a rock star. Neil GMed our replacement characters much better. Both the Ghost-with-the-identity-crisis and the-world's-most-powerful-telepathic-dog each had some leadership qualities, and some "I shouldn't be leader" qualities, and they sort of co-led. When Anthony joined, he played a quirky scientist hero, when Katie joined she played the quirky chick, etc.
The Former Outcast is Quadtron (seen previous page), and the ex-hockey guy is Zero Man (also seen previous page).
Does a Winnie poo in the 100-acre wood?

jcjec

Re: Quadtron

Post by jcjec » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Ken wrote:Real World Stuff
This is Jim's character who I described elsewhere as an "outcast". He's actually the first super-hero RPG character that Jim ever built or played. He introduced him in a Champions of Justice game, but, rightfully, realised that having the character with the CoJ would be like having the Beast join the Avengers. Not an all together bad thing on a meta-level, but rather than the angst of being so different, he'd be accepted too quickly. Jim wants to plumb Luke's angst.

Jim tried him in a few different campaigns over the course of 20 years, but the campaigns didn't last. Finally, Neil started the Frisco Freax, and he was building it around Quadtron (obstensibly it was around Quadtron and Zero Man, but Neil later admitted that it was just around Quadtron). And missed the point utterly. Neil set about trying to keep Luke from feeling angst. All of the NPCs were accepting of him; beautiful women were throwing themselves at him. And Jim tried to keep it in character, "Why is this happening, all of a sudden?"

Finally, Jim and Neil being at odds over Quadtron led to Quadtron leaving, and the campaign being overhauled. Jim brought Quadtron to Andy's game, where, honestly, things are a little better. There are actually characters around who remember that Quadtron is hideous looking.
More Real World Stuff
As Ken said, this was my first gaming character. As a child, I very much felt like the outsider and I think Quadtron was my way of turning an outsider into a hero, but also realizing that, no matter how much people might accept you, you need to accept yourself first. This is the part that I've focused on the most with this character. Its the reason why, after that first adventure, when he was offered membership in the CoJ, he turned them down -- a variation on the old adage "I wouldn't want to be part of a group that would have me as a member." As great of a hero as Quadtron can be, and he has proven through the years to be a good one, he can't truly be accepted until he is able to accept himself. His friendship with Zero Man has started on the path, but he's far from being there yet.

Part of the reason that he's been on the path for so long (over 25 years) is due to both lack of play (too few campaigns and too many active PCs) and the fact that, it seems, not a lot of people can handle dealing with this type of character growth. Probably due to people's own desire to be accepted and wanting their flaws overlooked, I've struggled to find a GM that's willing to acknowledge the character's flaws and allow him time to grow rather than just ignoring them. I realize that I'm probably being more realistic than is needed in a RPG superhero game, but its these kinds of nuances that make the game more than just a "punch'em up brawl" and more of a story for me.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?

jcjec

Re: Spectrum

Post by jcjec » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:51 pm

Anyway, this is Dwight Jones, right before he lost his powers. Spectrum was the third character Jim introduced into the CoJ, but in many ways was the most successful. It took some doing though. In his early days, Spectrum's powers were based on temperature instead of light ("spectrum" was used in its secondary meaning referring to a range of things). Besides rankling some of the more science-y players (including his GM, me) it also meant that, powerwise, he was incredibly similar to Doug's character, Count Zero. And, along the way, various things were tried. Finally, Jim said to me "I want Spectrum to be my Morning Star." And, after clarifying that what was meant "big star, powerhouse, team leader type character," I said, "Okay, then let US make him that." Basically, when someone wants their character to fill a role, the player and gamemaster need to work together, and be on the same page.

And, so, we did. We adapted Spectrum's powers to be electromagnetic. Jim played the role to the hilt and Spectrum was magnificent.

We had a big laugh in 1997. As I explained when I posted Morning Star, Jim had, at one point, asked "Morning Star is kind of your Superman" and then later he said "I want Spectrum to be my Morning Star". So using the transative property, it could be said Jim wanted Spectrum to be his Superman. And in 1997, DC decided to make Superman, well, more like Spectrum: the "electric blue" Superman had electromagnetic powers.

Over time, Dwight/Spectrum married, started a family, got into politics, and was almost the Vice-President of the U.S. Eventually though, Jim got to feeling like Spectrum's story was by-and-large told. So, he started taking more and more of a backseat role. And, when another player came in with another electromagnetic character, and competitive streaks started flaring up, Jim decided to have Dwight lose his powers and retire from active super-heroics completely. Powerless Dwight Jones can be seen here.
More Real World Stuff
Dwight was my "I want to play someone better than myself" character. I wanted him to be successful, heroic, hot-tempered and able to get away with it, in a loving relationship and respected. This viewpoint is probably also the reason why he was sometimes the most frustrating for me as well because, as hard as I tried, I couldn't get him to where I wanted him to be. I tried changing power settings, switching campaigns and changing power settings again, and it seemed as though he never really took off. And that's what sparked the "I want Spectrum to be my Morning Star." MS was respected within the group, powerful, successful and heroic. And Ken, once he understood what I was looking for, came through in spades.

The moral of this story? Communicate with your gamemaster. If you're not getting what you want out of your character, trust them enough to help you. And if you're a GM and a player comes to you with such a request, help them achieve their goal so that its a better roleplaying experience for both of you.

While Dwight's story was eventually told and I retired him, it wasn't because of not liking the character or feeling unfulfilled. In fact, my GM helped me achieve all of my goals so that I felt a great story had been told and the chapter could end. When I retired him, I didn't kill him off because I knew that he could still continue the story as a supporting character to others. And the day I told the story of Dwight losing his powers, it was a powerful enough tale of sacrificing all to save the person he loved that I was brought to tears, not because I didn't want to lose the character, but because it moved me. It was something that I wish the others had understood better.
Jim C.

jcjec

Re: Shrike

Post by jcjec » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:14 pm

More Real World Stuff
Shrike was my first real attempt at building a knock-off character. While I had built Fireforce before her, and he was an amalgam of two characters (in my mind) with a twist, Kris was a "I want to play a character that's like Buffy." I have been a big fan of Joss Whedon's, even before I realized that some of his stuff was done by him. I had seen the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie and had enjoyed it for what it was, so when I saw they were doing a TV show based on it, my thought was "well, I'll check it out for as long as it lasts." Little did I know that it would become a phenomenon and last for seven years and that I would fall head over heels for it.

So Neil says that he wants to run a campaign with a bunch of newbie teenage heroes, and rather than focusing on some of the more common teen heroes out there, I decided that I wanted the Vampire Slayer. What I didn't realize was that, in a superhero setting, a Slayer isn't exactly that useful without some tweaking. Focusing in on her accuracy, acrobatics, stamina and a pinch of supernatural speed, we came up with a fairly decent martial artist without too much Mr. Pointy. Slash was created and I loved her. Unfortunately, Neil's campaign managed to last about two sessions before going pear-shaped and she fell by the wayside.

I loved the concept so much that I soon tried it again, this time as an antihero named Shaft, who I arbitrarily made Kris' estranged mother. We were gradually bringing more supernatural stuff into the RCU and she was on a team of monster-hunters who really didn't care what side the monsters fought on.

Then the conversation happened where Ken and I changed Slash to Shrike and she became Robin to Guardian's Batman. In some ways, I think she finally became the teen hero that Neil had originally been thinking of. A few more years later, I started running Retribution and my love of Buffy came through again as I had Shaft switch sides and become my GMPC. She also changed her codename, kind of against her will, to Artemis and runs with the team to this day, in spite of a number of times where I've questioned her usefulness and thought of killing her off. But much like Ms. Scarlett, the players have grown to love her enough to save her.
Jim C.

Ken

Fireforce

Post by Ken » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Peter McMurphy AKA Fireforce - PL 11

Strength 10/2, Stamina 4, Agility 6/-2, Dexterity 6, Fighting 8/4, Intellect 6, Awareness 5, Presence 4

Advantages
All-out Attack, Assessment, Benefit: CoJ, Benefit: Federal Officer, Chokehold, Connected, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Equipment 12, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2: Poiny End, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Interpose, Languages 2, Leadership, Lionheart, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 3, Takedown, Teamwork, Well-informed

Skills
Close Combat: Shield Jab 1 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+11), Expertise: Criminology 4 (+10), Expertise: Police Officer 1 (+7), Expertise: Streetwise 1 (+7), Expertise: Tactics 1 (+7), Insight 2 (+7), Intimidation 4 (+8), Investigation 6 (+12), Perception 3 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Taser 2 (+8), Stealth 2 (+8), Technology 1 (+7), Treatment 1 (+7), Vehicles 2 (+8)

Powers
Cybernetic Exoskeleton: Enhanced Trait 40 (Traits: Strength +8 (+10), Agility +8 (+6), Fighting +4 (+8))
Helmet
. . Helmet: Immunity 2 (Critical Hits, Notes: Technically this also includes Peter's armoured vitals area.)
. . Visor: Immunity 5 (Sensory Affliction Effects; Quirk: Visual & Hearing Only)
. . Visor: Senses 2 (Extended: Vision 1: x10, Low-light Vision)
Leg Servos: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
Powered Armor: Protection 6 (+6 Toughness; Impervious)
Shield (Removable)
. . Main Function: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Dodge +2 (+10), Parry +2 (+10))
. . Shield Array
. . . . Shield Bash: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 27; Accurate: +2)
. . . . Shield Carry: Protection 2 (+2 Toughness; Impervious)
. . . . Shield Jab: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 26, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Accurate: +2)
Supercuffs: Snare 10 (DC 20; Grab-based [10 extra ranks], Inaccurate: -2 [10 extra ranks], Reduced Range: close [10 extra ranks])
Taser: Affliction 6 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Increased Range: ranged)
-Electric Blast: Damage 13 (DC 28; Increased Range: ranged, Linked: -EM Effect: Broad Weaken 7; Limited: Only vs Electronics [5 ranks only], Unreliable (5 uses))
-EM Effect: Broad Weaken 7 (Affects: all Electronics, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 17; Accurate 2: +4, Broad: all Electronics, Extended Range, Increased Range: ranged, Linked: -Electric Blast: Damage 13; Unreliable (5 uses))
Grappling Gauntlet (Removable)
. . Decel Swingline: Movement 2 (Safe Fall, Swinging)
. . Jump Line: Leaping 4 (Leap 120 feet at 30 miles/hour)
. . Snag & Pull: Move Object 4 (800 lbs.; Limited: Only in certain paths and directions)

Equipment
Commlink, Duty Belt (Audio Recorder, Camera, Flash Grenade, Handcuffs, Multi-tool, Nightstick, Rebreather, Sleep Gas Grenade, Smoke Grenade, Supercuffs [Supercuffs: Snare 10, DC 20; Grab-based [10 extra ranks], Inaccurate: -2 [10 extra ranks], Reduced Range: close [10 extra ranks]], Taser Sidearm [Taser: Affliction 6, 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Increased Range: ranged], Tear Gas Grenade), EMP Cannon [-Electric Blast: Damage 13, DC 28; Increased Range: ranged, Linked: -EM Effect: Broad Weaken 7; Limited: Only vs Electronics [5 ranks only], Unreliable (5 uses); -EM Effect: Broad Weaken 7, Affects: all Electronics, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 17; Accurate 2: +4, Broad: all Electronics, Extended Range, Increased Range: ranged, Linked: -Electric Blast: Damage 13; Unreliable (5 uses)], Flashlight, Strikeforce Base (empty) 1, Strikeforce Vehicles (empty) 1

Offense
Initiative +10
-Electric Blast: Damage 13, +9 (DC 28)
-EM Effect: Broad Weaken 7, +13 (DC Fort 17)
Flash Grenade, +9 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 20)
Nightstick, +8 (DC 27)
Shield Bash: Strength-based Damage 2, +10 (DC 27)
Shield Jab: Strength-based Damage 1, +11 (DC 26)
Sleep Gas Grenade, +9 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Smoke Grenade, +9 (DC 19)
Snag & Pull: Move Object 4, +9 (DC 14)
Supercuffs: Snare 10, +6 (DC Dog 20)
Taser: Affliction 6, +11 (DC Fort 16)
Tear Gas Grenade, +9 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Throw, +9 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +11 (DC 25)

Complications
Parapalegic: When outside of his armor, Peter is crippled from the waist down and needs a wheelchair to move around.
Relationships: While Peter still loves his wife Wanda (his first true love), he has found in Paula that love really can strike twice.
Responsibility: As a police officer, they are sworn to uphold the law.
Revenge: Peter has a deep-seated desire to see Captain Zero destroyed.

Languages
Cantonese, English, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 10/8, Parry 10/8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 58 + Powers 78 + Advantages 39 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 11 = 205

Background Peter McMurphy had everything his heart desired: he had just earned his gold shield, leaving the days of being a L.A. beat cop behind, he had been happily married to his high school sweetheart for the past fifteen years, and they were at the mall to buy her a new engagement ring to celebrate his promotion. Then everything went horribly wrong. When a (then thought to be) insane Count Zero (actually, it was Captain Zero, the Count's evil twin) began attacking former allies, the battle was fought in the same mall that the McMurphy's were shopping. Thanks to a good deal of collateral damage, Peter was left trapped and crippled as his wife died under rubble.

While in the hospital recuperating and receiving physical therapy, Peter was visited by Alex Wells on behalf of Adams Industries, sponsors of the Champions of Justice. In an attempt to make amends for everything McMurphy lost, they offered to equip him with the latest in cybernetic and exo-skeleton technology. But Peter wanted more. His life had been dedicated to two things, keeping the peace and loving his wife. He lost the latter forever; he didn't want to loose the former as well. Wells agreed to help him and created the Fireforce battle armor. Shortly thereafter, Peter was introduced to the CoJ, but still harbored some ill-feelings toward the group and turned down their offer to join.

Fireforce spend the next few months working the streets of LA as a vigilante while holding down a desk job at the precinct during the day. When his path crossed with the CoJ again, however, he accepted membership with the team, in spite of the fact that (and, in truth, partially because) Count Zero had rejoined the team, claiming that the attack was committed by his "evil twin, " Captain Zero. If Zero went evil again, Fireforce wanted to be there to help take him down. Over time, however, Peter managed to form friendships with teammates (even Count Zero eventually) and overcame most of his psychological hang-ups that had formed after that fateful day. He even managed to fall in love again with the team's resident pilot, Ms. Scarlet. He also built up the courage to reveal his dual identity to his bosses at the police department, sparking the development of the Strikeforce branch of law enforcement.

Personality When Fireforce first arrived on the scene, he was still harboring deep-seated anger and pain and his personality reflected that. He was suspicious, hard-driven and merciless, but still held to his true nature by not going over the edge. Over time, however, his psyche healed thanks to the efforts of his friends and teammates and he learned to smile again. He can now joke with others and enjoy socializing, but knows when its time for business and is one of the most dedicated people on the team. His natural leadership qualities sometimes cause conflict with those who don't feel leaders are needed, but serves him well in organized institutions like the police force and Strikeforce.

Powers/Tactics McMurphy is first and foremost a cop. As such, he will handle almost every situation like a police officer would, making his expectations known upfront and being no-nonsense in serious situations. When it comes time for combat, he tries to subdue the perpetrator as quickly as possible using any and all of the tools at his disposal. Thanks to his exo-skeleton powersuit, he is stronger, faster and more durable than any normal human and uses those abilities to their full advantage. He also carries a variety of tools and armaments, most notably a Taser sidearm and the Pulse Cannon; an electromagnetic weapon releases a powerful EMP blast (formerly referred to the ZeroKiller earlier in his career). He also carries a shield that serves the dual purpose of providing extra protection and acts as a powerful bludgeoning weapon.

Appearance Peter McMurphy is 6'1" tall and 205 pounds, with the Fireforce battle suit adding 3" and 200 lbs. to his mass. Peter's build is athletic, with his arms holding the majority of his musculature. Through daily physical therapy, though, the rest of his body is in decent shape. When out of the powersuit, Peter moves about thanks to a manual wheelchair with the hidden mechanics to power-lift him to a standing position. The Fireforce suit is a stripped-down design of the Technon armor, painted black and grey. The cybernetic helmet system crosses the design of a riot gear headpiece and a modern visored football helmet, leaving the bottom half of the face exposed.

Real World Stuff
Yes, his surname was inspired by Robocop. He was Jim's second RCU hero. Inspired by Iron Man (who had, in 1989, just been paralysed), Captain America, and, IIRC, Batman, he was my first real lesson in "always take the time to go over a new player's new character sheet". I overlooked the obnoxiously over-powered gun when I looked through the sheet before play, and then took it away in a horrible, horrible way. And I put the blame about 99% on me because Jim was very new and there's little reason for him to have realised how obnoxious the gun was.

Fireforce was always the source of a quandry for me. I think most of the players in the group preferred Fireforce, where I, honestly, favoured Spectrum, who, honestly, I had put more into, working with Jim, but also fit a little better into what I have always wanted the Champions to be. But there's also a bunch of weirdness in the character's backstory, that made it tough. And then he became the template of the agents for the government's parahuman Strike Force, and honestly, it's probably been 25 years since Peter's been a full-time part of my campaign.

However, one of my favourite Fireforce moment actually came out of play. Jim and I were walking around my old neighbourhood, working through a variety of unfortunate business. That's one of those things about being friends: bad stuff happens; when it does, work through it. You do it right, you'll be better for it. Anyway, after we worked through soem stuff, we were discussing gaming, and Jim's characters. And I said...
Ken wrote:Fireforce is lame.
Jim's face just sort of hung there, silently, looking hurt.
Ken wrote:Well, Peter McMurphy is, anyway. You know, without the armour he can't walk.
I then re-iterated that no, there was nothing "lame" (in the common venacular) about the character.

That was the day Jim learned (perhaps the hard way) about my fondness, and persnicketiness, about language, and my willingness to use that to make a joke.

jcjec

Re: Fireforce

Post by jcjec » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:14 pm

Yes, his surname was inspired by Robocop. He was Jim's second RCU hero. Inspired by Iron Man (who had, in 1989, just been paralysed), Captain America, and, IIRC, Batman, he was my first real lesson in "always take the time to go over a new player's new character sheet". I overlooked the obnoxiously over-powered gun when I looked through the sheet before play, and then took it away in a horrible, horrible way. And I put the blame about 99% on me because Jim was very new and there's little reason for him to have realised how obnoxious the gun was.

Fireforce was always the source of a quandry for me. I think most of the players in the group preferred Fireforce, where I, honestly, favoured Spectrum, who, honestly, I had put more into, working with Jim, but also fit a little better into what I have always wanted the Champions to be. But there's also a bunch of weirdness in the character's backstory, that made it tough. And then he became the template of the agents for the government's parahuman Strike Force, and honestly, it's probably been 25 years since Peter's been a full-time part of my campaign.
More Real World Stuff
As I stated above, Peter was my first amalgam character. Years before being introduced to gaming, when James Rhodes originally took over the Iron Man armor and Steve Rogers stepped down from being Captain America, with John Walker taking his place, I thought about how "cool" it would be if the two new characters were combined into one. A few years later, I was introduced to gaming and the idea was still lingering, so I build Fireforce. Using Champions at the time and needing disads for him, as well as the above mentioned crippling of Tony Stark, Peter was a paraplegic when not in the armor. For me, though, it was always the other disad that was the motivator.... his deceased wife, Wanda. He may have lost the use of his legs that afternoon, but it never made him less of a hero or a man. His Achilles Heel was the fact that he had lost the (first) love of his life and thought he could never recover from it, and was driven by revenge.

As I've pointed out several times before, I'm driven by the character's growth, and Peter has had a lot over the years. He overcame his hatred for Count Zero (as it was Captain Zero impersonating him and the fight that ensued that took Wanda's life), found his footing as a leader, forming Strikeforce and eventually finding love again in his fellow CoJer, Miss Scarlett.

Ken is correct, though, that Fireforce wasn't a perfect fit for the CoJ. He's come a long way over time, but Spectrum was better suited and got a lot more air time. It was Fireforce's popularity, though, that led to attempts to spin darker / grittier campaigns out of the CoJ to deal with more street-level heroes like him. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view), none of them were able to hold up to the "we're CoJ, but not CoJ" difficulties that often ensued.

For the record, the Strikeforce aspect came about during the time I had left the RCU and was creating my own campaign world. I was using my own characters to fill in the background. I used Fireforce to start a meta-police force and had recycled the Strikeforce name (Neil had used it it for both his teen heroes and CoJ spinoff campaigns). When things were patched up and we folded Earth-L back into the RCU, Strikeforce came along for the ride.

Like Spectrum, most of Fireforce's story has been told. His demons have been defeated and he is in a position to receive his happily-ever-after. Instead of "depowering" him, though, I have let him stay in the background, brought in when it helps drive the narrative and occasionally finding ways to give him an even-happier-ever-after, and I'm happy with that.
Jim C.

Ken

Charcoal

Post by Ken » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:52 am

Image.Image.Image

Charcoal - PL 12

Strength 11, Stamina 11, Agility 7, Dexterity 1, Fighting 10/7, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Presence 1

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Attractive 2, Beginner's Luck, Benefit, Status: CoJ, Connected, Diehard, Equipment 2, Fascinate (Deception), Favored Foe: Breast Men, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2: Unarmed, Improved Initiative 2, Interpose, Languages 1, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Set-up, Skill Mastery: Close Combat, Talented Amateur 2, Teamwork, Withstand Damage

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+10), Athletics 1 (+12), Close Combat: Karate 3 (+13), Close Combat: Wrestling 3 (+13), Deception 11 (+12), Expertise: Japanese Pop-Culture 2 (+5), Expertise: LoC stuff 1 (+4), Expertise: Office Lady 1 (+4), Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation 3 (+4), Investigation 1 (+4), Persuasion 3 (+4), Ranged Combat: Throw 9 (+10), Sleight of Hand 3 (+4), Stealth 3 (+10), Technology 1 (+4), Treatment 1 (+4), Vehicles 3 (+4)

Powers
Density Control Array
. . Normal Weight
. . . . Adds to Movement: Feature 2 (Stacks with: Getting in the Way: Deflect 8+2, Stacks with: Anime Leap: Flight 7+2, Stacks with: Great Legs: Speed 7+2, Stacks with: Breaststroke: Swimming 7+2)
. . . . Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Dodge +3 (+11), Fighting +3 (+10), Improved Initiative 2 +1 (+2))
. . . . Karate Punches (Multiattack)
. . . . Quickness 2 (Perform routine tasks in -2 time ranks; Limited to One Type: Physical Tasks)
. . Dense Form
. . . . Atomic Fire: Damage 14 (DC 29; Reaction 3: reaction; Side Effect 2: always - Destroys Clothing, Tiring, Uncontrolled)
. . . . Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Improved Critical 2 +2 (+4))
. . . . Impervious Toughness 8
. . . . Regeneration gains 1 more rank of Persistant: Feature 1
. . . . Some of Daddy's Density Increase: Density Growth 3 (+3 STR, +3 STA, +3 mass ranks; Density)
Daddy' Invulnerability
. . Immunity 1 (Environmental Condition: Radiation)
. . Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Radiation Effects; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Impervious Toughness 7
. . Protection 2 (+2 Toughness)
Disguises: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Deception +10 (+22); Activation 2: standard action, Limited: disguise only)
Erylusian Healing: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds; Persistent [2 ranks only])
Erylusian Resilience: Immunity 10 (Aging, Disease, Environmental Condition: Heat, Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: Vacuum, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Poison, Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation (All); Quirk: Only about 90% effective)
Karate Power Strike: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 28; Inaccurate: -2)
Movement Array
. . Anime Leap: Flight 7+2 ([Stacking ranks: +2], Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round; Limited: Must land every 2 rounds)
. . Breaststroke: Swimming 7+2 ([Stacking ranks: +2], Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)
. . Getting in the Way: Deflect 8+2 ([Stacking ranks: +2]; Reach (melee): 5 ft., Reflect; Custom 2: Reflect only works on ranged Physical attacks, Reduced Range: close)
. . Great Legs: Speed 7+2 ([Stacking ranks: +2], Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round)
Radiation-boosted Erylusian Strength: Power-lifting 6 (+6 STR for lifting)

Equipment
CoJ Bases 2, CoJ Communicator 2, CoJ Vehicles 4, Disguise Kit [Disguises: Enhanced Trait 5, Traits: Deception +10 (+22); Activation 2: standard action, Limited: disguise only], The Markers 1

Offense
Initiative +15/+11
Atomic Fire: Damage 14, +13 (DC 29)
Grab, +13 (DC Spec 21)
Karate Power Strike: Strength-based Damage 2, +11 (DC 28)
Throw, +10 (DC 26)
Unarmed, +13 (DC 26)

Complications
Costume and Physique Problem: Charcoal's tops tend to get damaged or her breasts will be involved in some gag or exposed. It is NEVER deliberate on her part.
Family Issues: Valerie was unaware of her mother's family in Canada until recently. Her baby brother, Victor, was recently born.
Heritage: Valerie is half Erylusian. She sometimes finds herself caught up in Erylusian related plots.
Personality: Valerie can be nerdy, blunt and tactless.
Responsibility: Charcoal is the daughter of Doctor Radio and Amazon Grace. As such she grew up being taught the importance of helping people and using her abilities wisely.

Languages
English, Japanese

Defense
Dodge 11/8, Parry 11, Fortitude 12, Toughness 13, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 90 + Powers 73 + Advantages 27 + Skills 28 (56 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 226

Known Background Charcoal first appeared as a super heroine in Rockford, Illinois. On her first case, she seemed to already be known to another midwestern hero, Captain Miracle. Between this, her hair colour, and her powers led some to, correctly, surmise that this new heroine was the daughter of Amazon Grace, former Legion of Champions member. Shortly after meeting the Chicago based superteam, the Hawk, she was recruited as a part of that groups first big attempt at expansion. This expansion did not go well, and her tenure with the Hawk was brief. Several months later she met the Champions of Justice, and she eventually joined; one of the first among a wave of younger heroes. More recently, her mother has finally revealed more of their origins, and her father has returned from his exile in space. While these are good, Charcoal is less comfortable with her parents' decision to expand their family.

Powers/Tactics Charcoal is half Erylusian, in effect, a demi-goddess. Further more, she inherited some of the radioactive spawned might of her father, Doctor Radio. As such she is extremely strong and durable, and like most Erulusians heals at an enormous rate. Further more, she's been trained to use her strength in hand-to-hand combat. She is, in short, a brickette. Her enhanced muscles let her run and swim at incredible speeds, and she can jump half a mile. Her greatest drawback as a combatant, is that she can enjoy it too much and become distracted.

Personality As a part of the so-called "Loc Bloc" (the children of the Legion of Champions), especially being born with powers, Charcoal basically saw life as a super heroine as a forgone conclusion. What else would she do with her powers? As such, her determination is partially hidden by a bright, almost bubbly personality, who is comfortable with who she is. Conversely, it is in her life outside heroics where her nerdy, introverted side shows. A late bloomer and hiding her powers, she grew up without many friends. Somewhere along the line she became a Nipponophile in general, and an anime fan ("otaku") in particular. Amidst the costumed fraternity, she is not afraid to let her competitive side show.

Appearance Charcoal is 5’7" and weighs more than she appears, at 165 lbs. Though in her twenties, her slowed aging process means her body, like a teenager's is still developing. Bustier than average, she benefits from having super humanly strong pectoral muscles. A natural redhead, she's growing into a becoming a beautiful young woman. Her uniform is a grey bodysuit, with leather trim, emblazoned with a keyhole opening.

Real World Stuff
jcjec wrote:For the record, the Strikeforce aspect came about during the time I had left the RCU and was creating my own campaign world. I was using my own characters to fill in the background. I used Fireforce to start a meta-police force and had recycled the Strikeforce name (Neil had used it it for both his teen heroes and CoJ spinoff campaigns). When things were patched up and we folded Earth-L back into the RCU, Strikeforce came along for the ride.
When Jim began the Hawk (the campaign I created Captain Miracle for), it was actually a part of this "Earth-L". And the conceit of the group was that something bad had happened to, like, 90% of the extant heroes of that world, and this was going to be the new generation. Obstensibly, Captain Miracle's father, the prior Captain Miracle, had been one of those heroes who had died. And, after I had played in the Hawk for quite a while, that's when Jim started beinging more of the "Earth-K" players in. One of these was Neil's sister, Jenn. (I did say 3 of the 4 of us had siblings who made significant contributions.)

Jenn was an otaku. She may still be, I don't know, as she's out of the picture. She lives near the RoninArmy offices now, after 15 years of living on the shores of Lake Superior. When told the idea was "a new generation of super-heroes, her brain went to Project A-Ko. And that's the direction she went: a riff on A-Ko. When asking for names for a brickette, I suggested "Charcoal" (Yes, I know I have a punnning problem.) It also required the need for a Wonder Woman-type and a Superman-type since A-Ko's parents, are suppossed to be Clark Kent and Diana Prince. Well, Amazon Grace (yeah, I know) had already been mentioned as having been a teammate of Captain Miracle IV's. Doctor Radio or Radio Man had been an idea for a radioactive paragon-type that I first started playing with when I was 8, or so. The idea of "radio" once being a "high-tech" sounding word (yeah, really, decades ago), played well with the idea of this being an older hero from a bygone era.

So, Charcaol was born. Her first picture, done by Jenn (who is a talented artist), is the one on the right where she looks young. Then in her second story, someone tried shooting at her. And the joke was made that the bullet bounced off her chest. Twice. Once when it ricocheted off one breast, and then again when the angle of the ricochet caused it to hit the other. And Jenn responded by describing the sound effects. She was okay with the gag, and that night started the second picture, the one in the middle, where Valerie's chest is pronounced, but the pic is still in an animé/manga style.

It was only about six months later when Jim came to me about folding "Earth-L", and particularly the Hawk, back into the RCU. The conversation went kind of like this:
Ken: What about the big picture stuff going on outside the Hawk?
Jim: You were the only one who ever payed any attention to that; it won't matter.
Ken: Are you sure you want to give up your creative autonomy?
Jim: I'll be gaining so much more by working within a more established framework, and we have finally learned to work together.
Ken: Okay. But I want Charcoal for the C.O.J.

We had to hash out that the bad thing that happened to the early heroes, had only happened specifically to the heroes in Chicago, too. But the point was, the idea of a generational heroine was one I wanted to explore in the Champions of Justice. And I did, briefly.

In the autumn of 2000, Jenn moved to Duluth (and revealed to a few of us about some lifestyle things she hadn't wanted her family to know.) So, she was out of the gaming group. But I kept Charcoal around. I tend to infuse a lot of the parts of Jenn's personality I liked best into her.
Last edited by Ken on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ken

Longbow

Post by Ken » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:53 am

ImageImage
ImageImage

Longbow - PL 11

Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 4, Dexterity 7, Fighting 7, Intellect 6, Awareness 5, Presence 3

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Animal Empathy, Benefit: COJ, Close Attack 2, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Equipment 6, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Favored Environment: Forest, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 4: Bow and Arrow Array, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improvisation, Improvised Tools, Languages 4, Luck 2, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery: Ranged Combat, Takedown 2, Teamwork, Ultimate Effort: Aim, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+6), Athletics 4 (+6), Expertise: ancient weapons 4 (+10), Expertise: Archaeology/Anthropology 3 (+9), Expertise: Mythology 2 (+8), Insight 3 (+8), Investigation 1 (+7), Perception 6 (+11), Persuasion 2 (+5), Ranged Combat: Standard Arrows 4 (+11), Ranged Combat: Trapping Arrows 1 (+8), Stealth 6 (+10), Technology 1 (+7), Vehicles 1 (+8)

Powers
Hunter's Perception: Senses 2 (Extended: Vision 1: x10, Tracking: Vision 1: -1 speed rank)
Bow, Arrow, & trick arrowheads (Removable)
. . Bow and Arrow Array
. . . . Basic Arrow: Strength-based Damage 8 (DC 25; Increased Range 2: perception [2 extra ranks], Penetrating 5, Precise; Custom: Cannot go more than 600 ft., Custom: May be Deflected, Quirk: Damage is only 5 against anyone with Immunity to critical Hits., Notes: Damage is only 7 against anyone with Immunity to critical Hits.)
. . . . Standard Arrows: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 20; Extended Range, Increased Range: ranged [2 extra ranks], Multiattack [2 extra ranks], Penetrating 5, Precise)
. . . . 3 Glue Arrows: Burst Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Hindered, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Immobile, DC 20; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged; Limited Degree)
. . . . 3-Shot Pin or Glue Arrow: Affliction 10 (1st degree: Hindered, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Immobile, DC 20; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged; Inaccurate: -2, Limited Degree)
. . . . Airbag Arrow: Cylinder Area Movement Attack (+self) 3 (Safe Fall, Water Walking 2, DC 13; Cylinder Area: 30 feet cylinder, DC 13, Attack (+self): Dodge, Extended Range, Increased Range: ranged; Activation 2: standard action)
. . . . Bow Staff: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 19; Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
. . . . Carry w/Arrow and cable arrow drag: Move Object 3 (400 lbs., DC 18; Damaging, Extended Range, Feature: If someone else pulls may increase by 2 ranks; more than that and the cable snaps, Precise; Limited: Limited Range of Movements)
. . . . Explosive Arrowhead: Burst Area Damage 11 (DC 26; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 21, Increased Range: ranged; Activation: move action)
. . . . Flare Arrowhead: Cumulative Perception Area Affliction 7 (light, 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 17; Perception Area: DC 17 - Sight, Cumulative, Increased Range: ranged; Activation: move action)
. . . . Gas Arrowhead: Cloud Area Affliction 11 (1st degree: Fatigued, 2nd degree: Exhausted, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 21; Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 21, Increased Range: ranged; Activation: move action)
. . . . Intercept Shot: Deflect 14
. . . . Shaped Charge Arrow: Damage 11 (DC 26; Increased Range 2: perception; Activation: move action)
. . . . Smoke Arrowhead: Cloud Area Concealment Attack 6 (All Olfactory Senses, All Visual Senses, DC 16; Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 16, Attack: Dodge, Increased Range: ranged; Activation: move action)
. . . . Sonic Arrowhead: Line Area Affliction 11 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 21; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, DC 21, Increased Range: ranged; Activation: move action)
. . . . Taser Arrowhead: Cumulative Affliction 11 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 21; Cumulative, Increased Range: ranged; Activation: move action, Inaccurate: -2)
Minotaur's Battle Axe: Strength-based Damage 4 (Removable, slashing, DC 21; Limited: Kept mounted in his apartment)
Protective Uniform: Impervious Toughness 5 (Removable)
Swinging on Cable Arrows: Movement 2 (Easily Removable, Safe Fall, Swinging)

Equipment
CoJ Bases 1, CoJ Communicator COJ-041 2, Coj Vehicles 2, Stunt Cycle 25

Offense
Initiative +8
Basic Arrow: Strength-based Damage 8 (DC 25)
Standard Arrows: Strength-based Damage 3, +17 (DC 20)
3 Glue Arrows: Burst Area Affliction 10 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 20)
3-Shot Pin or Glue Arrow: Affliction 10, +12 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 20)
Airbag Arrow: Cylinder Area Movement Attack (+self) 3 (DC Dog 13)
Bow Staff: Strength-based Damage 2, +9 (DC 19)
Carry w/Arrow and cable arrow drag: Move Object 3, +13 (DC 18)
Explosive Arrowhead: Burst Area Damage 11 (DC 26)
Flare Arrowhead: Cumulative Perception Area Affliction 7 (DC Fort 17)
Gas Arrowhead: Cloud Area Affliction 11 (DC Fort 21)
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 12)
Minotaur's Battle Axe: Strength-based Damage 4, +9 (DC 21)
Shaped Charge Arrow: Damage 11 (DC 26)
Smoke Arrowhead: Cloud Area Concealment Attack 6 (DC Dog 16)
Sonic Arrowhead: Line Area Affliction 11 (DC Fort 21)
Taser Arrowhead: Cumulative Affliction 11, +11 (DC Fort 21)
Throw, +13 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 17)

Complications
Enemies: Due to helping to foil Albert Henderson repeatedly, Longbow has earned the Fomori's hatred. Thunder Bow from The Collection Agency harbors a deep hatred for him, because Longbow broke his nose and is a better bowman than him.
Half-Breed: Running Stag is the product of the love between an African-American man and a First Nation woman. In limited social circles, this is seen as a stigma. As such, Stag doesn't take kindly to this (or any other form of) bigotry.
Human on Olympus: Longbow, being a non-powered Champion of Justice, sees himself as a normal man surrounded by demigods. This often makes him overly serious and officious.
Relationships: Stag is very devoted to his family, including his parents (Reginald Johnson and Eagle Feather), his adopted family (Alex and El Moonstone) and the members of his tribe (even Uncle Mooney). Likewise, he is protective of his friends (Professor Jacques LeCrux), girlfriend (Harrier) and teammates.
Son of A Vet: Stag's father was not treated well by the government he served after returning from Vietnam. As such, his stories had an impact on his son, causing Stag to be distrustful of the US Government.

Languages
ancient Egyptian, ancient Mayan, Blackfoot, English, French, Irish, Japanese, Latin, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 14, Parry 13, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8/4, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 76 + Powers 47 + Advantages 54 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 215

Known Background Shortly after 'Nam, Reginald Johnson found himself back "home" without a job, unable to associate with his family, and still in shock from all of the death and destruction he had seen in the war. While he had been born and raised in the ghettos of New York, he quickly hit the road in search of a friendlier environment. The only thing that he had learned to like was the beauty of nature, which took him north to Calgary, Alberta, Canada. While the townspeople didn't like the strange black man trying to make a home there, Johnson soon found the Blackfoot Reservation and fell in love with a young girl named Eagle Feather. After proving himself to the elders as being worthy, Reginald Johnson became an honorary member of the tribe and married Eagle Feather.

Several years later, a baby boy was introduced to the tribe and was named Running Stag. While the children of the tribe accepted him as one of their own, outsider children and adults alike were fast to point out the fact that he was a "half-breed." Instead of allowing himself to be discouraged, though, he began to take pride in both of his heritages and pursued knowledge of their history as he got older. He learned of the traditions of his Indian heritage, growing in skill as both a storyteller and hunter. By the age of ten, he was making clean kills between the eyes of a deer from 100 yards. While his father had developed an distaste for America, he was more than happy to tell him all about his Black history and the struggles for freedom that were fought.

As Stag reached the trial of manhood, he had no problem passing the tribes ancient tests and was allowed to start down his own path. His desire was to further his education, and requested permission to attend school in Calgary proper. Once again, he excelled in learning, and soon found himself presented with a full scholarship to University of Toronto. As he learned about the "outside world", he maintained regular contact with his home and made regular trips there for visits and ceremonies, as well as to continue to hone his hunting skills.

It was the values he was brought up with and said skills that came into play in the winter of his fourth year pursuing his bachelor's degree. While out in the woods along the U.S. / Canada border, Stag stumbled across a group of drug smugglers coming across the border. Once he realized the nature of the men, he set out to track them to their base of operations. Using his archery skills, he took out the entire drug cartel. Soon afterwards, the press on both sides of the border was covering the story of the mysterious bowman.

A few weeks later, Stag was on the college campus when Professor Jacques LeCrux, a science professor with a reputation for strangeness, confronted him. The professor was quick to deduce that Stag had been the archer and, after a long conversation, convinced the young man that he should continue to pursue a life of crime fighting. With LeCrux's help, Stag created a costume for himself, along with a assortment of trick arrowheads to broaden his arsenal. Less than a month after his initial adventure, Stag was hitting the streets as the hero Longbow.

In the years that have followed, Stag continued his education, recently getting his doctorate in Archeological Studies and gaining a position with Huron City University. He continues to fight crime as Longbow. LeCrux still aids with gadgets and weaponry while Stag has taken the martial arts taught to him by his father and expounded upon them to include fighting with his reinforced bow. While his main base of operations was Toronto until his recent move, he has been known to take cases around the country given some notification, and was recruited to join the Champions of Justice.

Personality Longbow is a very serious and dedicated man in all that he does. This doesn't keep him from having a good time, but when it comes time for action, he's all business. He pays very close attention to detail and is more likely to pick up on the nuances of the situation than some of his other heroes. He is also very devoted to his teammates, making sure to have their back in any situation and will be among the first to come to a person's aide. Knowing what it's like to be an outsider, even among his "own people," leads him to try to accept everyone for who they are.

Powers/Tactics Longbow's greatest weapon is distance. His skill with a bow is unparalleled, being able to shoot with accuracy at distances well over 300 yards. It is occasionally joked that he can pick the wings off a butterfly from a football field away. With his hunter instincts, he will often look for the best vantage point to monitor the entire battlefield and rain arrows down on his foes from a distance. His wide array of gadget arrowheads also provides him with a weapon for almost any occasion. If forced into close-quarter fighting, however, he is also a skilled hand-to-hand combatant and has been known to toss arrowheads if shafts are not available or necessary.

Appearance Longbow is 6'2" with an athletic build: muscular but not huge. His African-American heritage is evident in his skin tone, lightened only slightly by his mixed breeding. His close-cropped black hair is often concealed, but his piercing brown eyes are always scanning the surrounding area. His original costume was a variation on what he was wearing on his accidental first adventure in the woods: a green pullover and pants with fur-lined boots, a scarf and gloves. As he has become more comfortable with the idea of superheroing, however, he decided that he needed a costume that was more in the style of classic heroics, leading him to add color and accentuate his build, still holding onto the roots of being an "emerald archer" while stepping away from "all that green."

Real World Stuff
Longbow, another of Jim's characters, is another character that has his origins in another campaign, on another campaign world. Jim knew Jeff through the LARPing they both did. And Jeff had started playing in the Hawk about the same time Jenn did. And, after a few years, he began his own game as a play-by-post game (I think in YahooGroups) and invited Jim and I to play. And in that group, the set-up was that each hero would be a different nationality, in a group being set-up by the U.N. It was a mess. Jeff encouranged players to play up nationalism, in an effort to bring-up team strife. He failed to take into account that a team with too much strife won't gel. And the guy playing the Canadian and the guy playing the Brit were a) thick as thieves and b) were able to let their characeters find some cultural common ground. But the whole thing kind of blew up, badly.

Well, there was a specific character, the American, who'd gotten the worst of things. And I wanted to make it up to that player, and give her a venue to play a variant of that character. That would be Graviton, who I may discuss later. But Jim asked me if he could bring over his Candian archer to the CoJ and I said yes. This was when we were going through our play-by-post phase, so it kind of worked out fairly well. Outside of Graviton's weirdness.

Anyway, this is Longbow. Archaeologist by day, Hawkeye/Green Arrow stule vigilante by night. A Canadian with an American expatriate father, and a Blackfoot mother. And a crazy uncle on his mum's side.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:51 am

AGH- all these builds and text-walls in one day. This is what it must be like for people who read MY thread!

I kinda like the idea of Fireforce- we don't often see what becomes of the "innocent bystanders". What was so broken about his gun in that old system?

Longbow is definitely unique- I've always thought that there weren't enough "double minority" characters in comics. It's something you almost NEVER see! Though it's funny that the closest thing I seem to have to a "hometown hero" in your campaign world is the son of an American soldier.

Charcoal is... pretty much what an anime fan would think of, yeah. Right down to "embarrassing fanservice". And yeah, Project A-Ko was HUGE in the early days of Anime Fandom in North America- I actually feel a bit "left out" for never having seen it. It was THE anime that it seems "everyone had seen", and was considered the peak of Japanese comedy, along with Ranma 1/2. Curiously, it was huge because it poked fun at anime tropes (several male characters were fops in women's clothing, people were powerful for no reason, etc.), many of which I can't imagine Westerners were that familiar with at that point.

Hell, in the early days of my anime fandom, stores had DOZENS of tapes I could only drool over, as a single VHS could set you back at least forty dollars. You KIDS TODAY have no idea how good you have it! Now kids have so many options for anime they think it's all overrated crap! I would have LOVED to have thought anime was overrated crap when I was your age!

jcjec

Re: Longbow

Post by jcjec » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:19 pm

Longbow, another of Jim's characters, is another character that has his origins in another campaign, on another campaign world. Jim knew Jeff through the LARPing they both did. And Jeff had started playing in the Hawk about the same time Jenn did. And, after a few years, he began his own game as a play-by-post game (I think in YahooGroups) and invited Jim and I to play. And in that group, the set-up was that each hero would be a different nationality, in a group being set-up by the U.N. It was a mess. Jeff encouraged players to play up nationalism, in an effort to bring-up team strife. He failed to take into account that a team with too much strife won't gel. And the guy playing the Canadian and the guy playing the Brit were a) thick as thieves and b) were able to let their characters find some cultural common ground. But the whole thing kind of blew up, badly.

Well, there was a specific character, the American, who'd gotten the worst of things. And I wanted to make it up to that player, and give her a venue to play a variant of that character. That would be Graviton, who I may discuss later. But Jim asked me if he could bring over his Candian archer to the CoJ and I said yes. This was when we were going through our play-by-post phase, so it kind of worked out fairly well. Outside of Graviton's weirdness.

Anyway, this is Longbow. Archaeologist by day, Hawkeye/Green Arrow style vigilante by night. A Canadian with an American expatriate father, and a Blackfoot mother. And a crazy uncle on his mum's side.
More Real world Stuff
So, we all have our top five superheroes. Number two for me is Robin Hood. I remember watching the Errol Flynn version with my dad at a very young age and, in the years that followed, constantly watching for it to repeat on Family Classics on WGN. It was that love that drew me to Green Arrow and Hawkeye, though I probably enjoyed Hawkeye a bit more than GA because of his differences from RH. Either way, the archer has always drawn my attention and I've been a strong proponent of them in the RCU, but hadn't made one as a PC until Jeff asked us to play in his game. And when it crashed and burned half way through its first adventure, I was significantly disappointed. I had created in Longbow all of the things I loved about my favorite archers into an amalgam that, while very similar to his predecessors, had distinguishing characteristics to make him different from them as well. He has edge, but with integrity, and will have his ally's back (even from a half mile away :D ).

So when Ken asked MoonRyu to convert Graviton over to the RCU, I asked to bring over Longbow as well because I knew I had a lot of story to tell with him. I will admit to a bit of metagaming in striving to make Longbow a friend to Graviton, primarily because we were pitted as rivals in Jeff's game ("You don't trust the American representative. They're going to want to take over and its your job to stop them." You don't give me a roleplaying task like that -- I'll succeed way to well.) and I wanted MoonRyu to feel welcome, not drive her away.

I love playing Turbo, but I can honestly say that Longbow is currently my favorite CoJer. Very street level, but has no problem holding his own among the demigods, just like GA and Hawkeye.
Jim C.

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:16 am

Jabroniville wrote:AGH- all these builds and text-walls in one day. This is what it must be like for people who read MY thread!

I kinda like the idea of Fireforce- we don't often see what becomes of the "innocent bystanders". What was so broken about his gun in that old system?

Longbow is definitely unique- I've always thought that there weren't enough "double minority" characters in comics. It's something you almost NEVER see! Though it's funny that the closest thing I seem to have to a "hometown hero" in your campaign world is the son of an American soldier.
Text walls: I learn from the best
It was at the campaign damage limit, and it had an Advantage on it that basically halved the "toughness" of whatever it was hit with. The advantage basically cost half again as much as the power. Essentially it meant that where the usual damage cap was 12, it was effetively doing 18.

There are a number of other Canadian heroes around actually. Granted, I'm not sure how many of them live in Alberta. Certainly not many.

Of course, in the RCU, Quebec has actually seperated from the rest of Canada. My understanding is, this isn't realistic. It's not supposed to be: there's a super-villain group behind it.

Ken

Osprey

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:40 am

ImageImage

Osprey - PL 11

Strength 3, Stamina 4, Agility 7, Dexterity 2, Fighting 14, Intellect 6, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Benefit: CoJ, Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 10, Evasion 2, Favored Environment: Air, Favored Environment: Water, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 4: Talon Blades, Improved Initiative, Languages 1, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Close Combat, Teamwork, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+10), Athletics 5 (+8), Close Combat: Talon Blades 3 (+17), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+18), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise: Parahuman Community 3 (+9), Expertise: Sociology 4 (+10), Expertise: Wing Harness Maintenence 4 (+10), Insight 5 (+8), Intimidation 3 (+5), Investigation 4 (+10), Perception 7 (+10), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat: Talon Blaster 6 (+8), Sleight of Hand 2 (+4), Stealth 3 (+10), Technology 1 (+7), Treatment 1 (+7), Vehicles 2 (+4)

Powers
Martial Arts skill (Multiattack [2 extra ranks])
Water Friendly: Swimming 3 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)
Weight Lifting: Enhanced Strength 1 (+1 STR; Limited to Lifting)
Armored Uniform
. . Immunity 4 (Environmental Condition: Heat, Environmental Condition: Cold, Suffocation (All); Quirk: Still affected by choke holds, etc.)
. . Immunity 5 (Sensory Affliction Effects; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Protection 1 (+1 Toughness; Impervious [4 extra ranks])
Helmet: Senses 4 (Extended: Sight 2: x100, Low-light Vision, Radio)
Krytanium Talon Gauntlets (Removable (indestructible))
. . Gauntlet Weapons Array
. . . . Cutting Laser: Damage 8 (DC 23; Penetrating 8, Reach (melee) 3: 15 ft.)
. . . . Talon Blades: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 20, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Penetrating 5)
. . . . Talon Blaster: Damage 8 (DC 23; Accurate 3: +6, Increased Range: ranged)
Winged Flight Harness
. . Winged Flight: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Aquatic; Wings)
. . Emergency Chute
. . . . Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Gliding, Wings)
. . . . Movement 1 (Safe Fall)
. . Long Distance Flight
. . . . Thrusters: Flight 10 (Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round; Concentration, Distracting)
. . . . w/Parabolic Arc short cut: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Stacks with: Thrusters: Flight 10; Concentration, Distracting, Limited: Must follow a very specific path)
. . Slower Flight: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Subtle: subtle; Wings)

Equipment
CoJ Communicator COJ-043 2, Commlink, Contribution to CoJ Bases 1, Contribution to CoJ Vehicles 2, Osprey's Nest, Utility Belt (Concealable Microphone, Explosive Bomb, Flash-bang, Flashlight, Mini-tracer, Multi-tool, Parabolic Microphone, Restraints, Sleep Gas Grenade, Smoke Grenade, Tear Gas Grenade, Toolkit (Basic))

Offense
Initiative +11
Cutting Laser: Damage 8, +14 (DC 23)
Explosive Bomb, +2 (DC Dog 15)
Flash-bang, +2 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Grab, +14 (DC Spec 13)
Sleep Gas Grenade, +2 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Smoke Grenade, +2 (DC 19)
Talon Blades: Strength-based Damage 2, +17 (DC 20)
Talon Blaster: Damage 8, +14 (DC 23)
Tear Gas Grenade, +2 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Throw, +2 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +18 (DC 18)

Complications
Directionless Civilian: Osprey is his true self: Gary is a bit of a cipher.
Power Loss: Gary's powers all come from devices, many of which are sizable. If he gets caught without his gear or cannot get to it, he's powerless.
Responsibility: Osprey feels a strong need to maintain the heroic legacy of his mother and grandfather.

Languages
English, French

Defense
Dodge 15, Parry 15, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7/5, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 82 + Powers 54 + Advantages 32 + Skills 33 (66 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 221

Known Background Often seen patroling the skies over Huron City, Ontario, Osprey is known to be the son of the heroine Ladyhawk, and, as such, the purported grandson of the British World War II hero known as the Raven. He began his crime-fighting career quietly, several months before la Puma recruited him to be a part of the Knights of Justice. He has publicly stated that he believes his inexperience and attitude was a significant factor in the group's failure to gel. Acquitting himself well during the Algolian invasion and again during an onslaught of lycanthropes he was offered a spot with the Champions of Justice several times before he accepted during their recruitment drive two years ago.

Personality Osprey is a professional hero. He knew from a young age that following in the family business and becoming a super hero is what he wanted to do and has worked hard to achieve his goal. His life as Gary Grant is less defined. His decison to get his Masters Degree was largely based on his not knowing what he wants to in his secret identity. His dedication to his heroic goals has made Osprey a rather serious fellow, but not as much as his reputation, gained with the KoJ, as a 'grumpy bird man' would seem to indicate. His attitudes towards crime fighting, instilled by his Legion family and friends, tend to be "old school." His high standards for himself still cause him a noticable amount of self-doubt.

Powers/Tactics Osprey has no powers. His artificial wings are what allow him to fly. He is, however, very proficient at it. He is in incredible physical condition. He is trained in multiple forms of combat, and has adapted those techniques for fighting while in flight. He wears a pair of steel gauntlets, each fitted with an extremely sharp set of talons. A small jet engine attached to the harness allows him to fly at mach speeds. A transparent shield drops from his helmet when he activates his breathing apparatus.

Appearance Osprey is 6 foot and weighs around 210 lbs. His uniform is dark brown and white and is dominated by the harness for his wings. Beneath his armoured clothing, there is the body of an incredible athlete. The beaked helmet conceals his dark hair and eyes.

Real World Stuff
Osprey was originally my third submission into a game that was going to be set in Quebec, but I was pushing for it to be all of Canada, or at least all of eastern Canada. I had a hard time believing that, after years of being a city that one or two supers could patrol, it would, all of a sudden have enough parahuman criminals that it would need the "Knights of Justice". My first entry for the KOJ was Zero Man, the cold-powered hockey player. I mean, it was a Canadian campaign, what could be more Canadian than hockey. But he was declined, I discussed that. So I built Osprey.

First of all, I love Hawkman. He rivals Captain Marvel as one of my absolute favourites. Secondly, for reasons that aren't the best, I wanted to do my take on a mostly-non-powered legacy hero. I still need do clean up the pic of Ladyhawk; Gary's mum. And somehow, this was approved. And the Knights of Justice ended up being another two session wonder. The KoJ's founder went back to the CoJ, and the alien mentalist went to the CoJ. I specifically kept Osprey out for a while, specifically saying he wasn't ready. And then, maybe four (real world) years later, I had him join during one of the Champions' biggest membership drives. It was the same time as Longbow joined, and the two Canadians became fast friends.

Ken

Harrier

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:41 am

Harrier - PL 10

Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 2, Fighting 12, Intellect 3, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 7, Evasion, Favored Environment: Air, Improved Critical 4: Talon Blades, Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Teamwork, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+7), Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat: Talon Blades 4 (+16), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+16), Deception 2 (+4), Expertise: Science 2 (+5), Expertise: Wing Harness Maintenence 2 (+5), Insight 1 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+4), Investigation 2 (+5), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 2 (+4), Ranged Combat: Talon Blaster 4 (+6), Sleight of Hand 1 (+3), Stealth 2 (+8), Technology 1 (+4), Treatment 1 (+4), Vehicles 2 (+4)

Powers
Armored Uniform
. . Immunity 4 (Environmental Condition: Heat, Environmental Condition: Cold, Suffocation (All); Quirk: Still affected by choke holds, etc.)
. . Immunity 5 (Sensory Affliction Effects; Limited - Half Effect)
. . Protection 1 (+1 Toughness; Impervious [4 extra ranks])
Helmet: Senses 4 (Extended: Sight 2: x100, Low-light Vision, Radio)
Krytanium Talon Gauntlets (Removable (indestructible))
. . Gauntlet Weapons Array
. . . . Talon Blaster: Damage 8 (DC 23; Accurate 3: +6, Increased Range: ranged)
. . . . Cutting Laser: Damage 8 (DC 23; Penetrating 8, Reach (melee) 3: 15 ft.)
. . . . Talon Blades: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 19, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Penetrating 5)
Winged Flight Harness
. . Winged Flight: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Aquatic; Wings)
. . Emergecny Chute
. . . . Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Gliding, Wings)
. . . . Movement 1 (Safe Fall)
. . Long Distance Flight
. . . . Thrusters: Flight 10 (Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round; Concentration, Distracting)
. . . . w/Parabolic Arc short cut: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Stacks with: Thrusters: Flight 10; Concentration, Distracting, Limited: Must follow a very specific path)
. . Slower Flight: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Subtle: subtle; Wings)

Equipment
CoJ Communicator COJ-052 2, Commlink, Contribution to CoJ Bases 1, Contribution to CoJ Vehicles 2, Contribution to Osprey's Nest 2, Utility Belt (Concealable Microphone, Explosive Bomb, Flash-bang, Flashlight, Mini-tracer, Multi-tool, Parabolic Microphone, Restraints, Sleep Gas Grenade, Smoke Grenade, Tear Gas Grenade, Toolkit (Basic))

Offense
Initiative +10
Talon Blaster: Damage 8, +12 (DC 23)
Cutting Laser: Damage 8, +12 (DC 23)
Explosive Bomb, +2 (DC Dog 15)
Flash-bang, +2 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Grab, +12 (DC Spec 12)
Sleep Gas Grenade, +2 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Smoke Grenade, +2 (DC 19)
Talon Blades: Strength-based Damage 2, +16 (DC 19)
Tear Gas Grenade, +2 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Throw, +2 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +16 (DC 17)

Complications
Family Drama: Billie is somewhat resentful that her desire to follow the family legacy has landed her in North America with some distant cousins.
Power Loss: Billie's powers all come from devices, many of which are sizable. If she gets caught without her gear or cannot get to it, she's powerless.
Responsibility: Harrier feels a strong need to maintain the heroic legacy of her great-grandfather.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 14, Parry 14, Fortitude 5, Toughness 6/4, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 66 + Powers 45 + Advantages 22 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 169

Known Background Recently seen patroling the skies over Huron City, Ontario, Harrier is clearly the partner of Osprey, and is therefore part of the legacy of the British World War II hero known as the Raven.

Powers/Tactics Harrier has no powers. Her artificial wings are what allow her to fly. She is, however, very proficient at it. She is in excellent physical condition. She is trained in multiple forms of combat, and has adapted those techniques for fighting while in flight. She wears a pair of steel gauntlets, each fitted with an extremely sharp set of talons. An experimental jet engine attached to the harness allows her to fly at mach speeds. A transparent shield drops from her helmet when she activates her breathing apparatus.

Real World Stuff
Harrier was created for a multitude of reasons. The main one was to give "my Hawkman-riff" a "Hawkgirl" after a fashion (but without making them "a couple". Secondly, I wanted someone to help give Osprey a reason to talk about his family, and their heroic history. Third, I wanted a Briton, because I have an anglophile streak.

The fact that Jim decided to have Longbow pursue her romantically was gravy. Having her reciprocate seemed like the right call.

Ken

Prophecy

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Prophecy - PL 13

Strength 1/15, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 8, Awareness 10, Presence 5

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Animal Empathy, Attractive, Benefit, Cipher 2, Benefit, Status: CoJ, Benefit, Status: Diplomat Extraterrestrial, Connected, Equipment 9, Extraordinary Effort, Favored Foe: Bureaucrats, Improved Initiative 4, Leadership, Power Attack, Speed of Thought

Skills
Deception 5 (+10), Expertise: Interstellar culture 2 (+10), Expertise: Koezari 2 (+10), Expertise: Mentatics 2 (+10), Insight 1 (+11), Intimidation 5 (+10), Persuasion 5 (+10), Ranged Combat: Mentatic Array 2 (+2), Stealth 2 (+4), Technology 2 (+10), Vehicles 4 (+4)

Powers
Mentatic Sense
. . Telepath Hearing: Perception Area Effortless Mind Reading 7 (thought, DC 17; Perception Area: DC 17 - Mental, Effortless, Innate, Insidious, Linked: Telepathy: Mental Area Communication 1, Subtle: subtle; Limited to Surface Thoughts, Permanent, Reduced Range 2: close)
. . Telepathy: Mental Area Communication 1 (thought, Sense Type: Telepathic; Area, Innate, Selective, Subtle: encrypted; Permanent)
Mental Translation: Comprehend 4 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand, Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood; Resistible: Will)
Mentatic Array
. . Focussed Telepathy: Cumulative Mind Reading 13 (DC 23; Cumulative, Insidious, Subtle: subtle)
. . Mental Blast: Damage 10 (DC 25; Alternate Resistance: Will, Increased Range 2: perception)
. . Mentatic Control: Variable 5+3 ([Stacking ranks: +3]; Action 2: free; Limited: Telepathic and telekinetic effects only)
. . . . Way too Brickish (Powers: Enhanced Strength 21, Strength-based Damage 1)
. . . . . . Enhanced Strength 21 (+21 STR; Limited to Lifting [7 ranks only])
. . . . . . Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 31; Accurate 4: +8)
. . Telekinetic Blast: Blast 16 (DC 31, Advantages: Accurate Attack, Power Attack; Accurate 4: +8, Subtle: subtle)
. . Telekinisis A: Move Object 13 (200 tons; Increased Range: perception, Subtle: subtle)
. . Telekinisis B: Move Object 10 (25 tons, DC 25; Damaging, Increased Range: perception)
Mentatic Power: Variable 3 (Action 2: free, Stacks with: Mentatic Control: Variable 5+3; Limited: Telepathic and Telekinetic Effects Only)
Natural Telepath
. . Enhanced Trait 4 (Advantages: Improved Initiative 4; Limited: only with mental combat)
. . Immunity 30 (Will Effects; Limited: not vs Koezari, Limited - Half Effect)
Telekinetic Shield: Protection 14 (+14 Toughness; Subtle: subtle, Sustained)

Power Settings
Boosting Mentatic Sense (Powers: Perception Area Effortless Mind Reading 6)
Mentatic Cloaking (Powers: Mental Cloak: Burst Area Concealment 2)
Telekinetic Punch (Powers: Enhanced Strength 7, Telekinetic Punch: Strength-based Damage 13)
Telekinetic Strength (Powers: Power-Lifting: Enhanced Strength 20)
Will Sapping (Powers: Weaken Will: Weaken 18)
Don't Make Me Make You (Powers: Mind Control: Cumulative Affliction 13)
Hyper-Flight (Powers: Hyper-Flight: Flight 19)
Telekinetic Explosion (Powers: TK Explosion: Burst Area Damage 10)
Way too Brickish (Powers: Enhanced Strength 21, Strength-based Damage 1)
Mental Blast Boost (Powers: Mental Blast Boost: Damage 3)
Mental Deflection (Powers: Mental Deflection: Immunity 5)
Mental Net (Powers: Mental Net: Mental Communication 3)
Telekinetic Boost (Powers: Telekinesis B Boost: Move Object 3)
Telekinetic Protection (Powers: Immunity 10)
Telekinetic Self Lift (Powers: Telekinetic Self Lift: Flight 7)
Telekinetic Walk-Through (Powers: Telekinetic Walk-Thru: Movement 3)

Equipment
CoJ Communicator COJ-036 2, Contribution to CoJ Bases 1, Contribution to CoJ Vehicles 2, Contribution to Koezar Galactic Embassy 5, Koezari Royal Space Yacht

Offense
Initiative +24
Focussed Telepathy: Cumulative Mind Reading 13 (DC Will 23)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 25)
Mental Blast Boost: Damage 3 (DC Will 18)
Mental Blast: Damage 10 (DC Will 25)
Mind Control: Cumulative Affliction 13 (DC Will 23)
Perception Area Effortless Mind Reading 6 (DC Will 16)
Strength-based Damage 1, +10 (DC 31)
Telekinesis B Boost: Move Object 3 (DC 18)
Telekinetic Blast: Blast 16, +10 (DC 31)
Telekinetic Punch: Strength-based Damage 13, +12 (DC 29)
Telekinisis A: Move Object 13 (DC 23)
Telekinisis B: Move Object 10 (DC 25)
Telepath Hearing: Perception Area Effortless Mind Reading 7 (DC Will 17)
Throw, +0 (DC 30)
TK Explosion: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +2 (DC 30)
Weaken Will: Weaken 18, +8 (DC Fort 28)

Complications
Alien Encounter: Project: Titan is looking at her intently.
Relationships: T'zianthra is emotionally closer to her manservant/mentor, Zorinus, than she is to anyone.
Semi-exile: While no longer the heir-in-exile to the throne of the Koezari Star Empire, Ambassador dhel Q'phaauli has been sent to Earth to get her off Koezar for political reasons. Her brother, B'Kalk dhel Q'phaauli, still occasionally tries to have her killed.
Weakness: Koezar's sun is dimmer than Sol. Koezari are sensitive to bright light, and light based attacks get +5 against Koezari.

Languages
Koezari

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 18/4, Will 19

Power Points
Abilities 64 + Powers 119 + Advantages 20 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Defenses 23 = 242

Background Details T'zianthra dhel Q'phaauli was the crown princess of the Koezari Star Empire. The Koezar are naturally telepathic, and millenia of careful breeding with the most talented telepaths had caused the ruling family to become among the most powerful psionics in the empire. Her brother, B'Kalk managed to ursurp the throne after their father died, and T'zianthra was exiled, rather than killed, because, well she is still family.

T'zianthra did not go to Earth, at least not at first. She went to the Izufanarid Dominion. But there she learned that a minor Izufanarid prince was planning to try to gain status within his own real family by hiring Algolian mercenaries, and conquoring the third planet of that weird star system with just the one star in it, making it part of the Dominion. T'zianthra happened to agree with the various treaties, arranged by the Stellar brotherhood, that siad that the star-faring races would leave non-starfaring planets alone; that the cultural impact of offworld influences on a planet upsets the natural order. But she also knew this "Irth" was about to not be given a choice. She got out ahead of the Algolian Fleet, and, despte her damaged craft, got to Earth about half a planetary revolution ahead of the invaders. She warned the Earthers, and the super-Earthers managed to mount a defense that repelled the Algolians.

Having arrived in the northernmost part of the second largest of the four* continents, she spent her first months on Earth living in Canada. She worked with the Knights of Justice, during the brief time they existed. When their founder returned to the Champions of Justice, she brought T'zianthra with her. Later, she and the Stellar Brotherhood set up an extra-terrestrial embassay in Washington D.C.

Eventually, she brought a contigent of Champions back to Koezar, and they managed to unsit B'Kalk from the throne hw unjustly took. However, not wanting it to simply be a coup, and causing a civil war between factions, she did not take the throne for herself, either. Instead she appointed a Steward that all sides could agree upon, and returned to Earth. There she continues to split her time between helping the Champions, helping other non-Terrans who arrive from offworld, and trying to help ease Earth into an age where it is recognised that humans aren't alone in the universe.

Real World Stuff Prophecy was Jenn's contribution to her brother's Knights of Justice. But being a cosmic character, she really didn't fit her brother's plan to be "just the Montreal team". It was also Prophecy that, inadvertently, ended the campaign. In the second session, Jenn had Prophecy pluck the details of the plot from a villain's brain, which made stopping the plot a lot easier than anticipated. It was an "oh sh*t, I forgot my sister is playing a powerful mentalist" moment. I suspect the fact that brother-and-sister had an unhealthy amount of sibling rivalry going at time contributed to the lack of palnning for Prophecy.

And well, I welcomed Prophecy into my campaign after that, where worked well, up until the point that Jenn moved North-ward. I kept her around, just because, every once in a while it's bloody useful to have a kick-ass mentalist on the team. If and when I get a player who says I want to play a mentalist, I'll send Prophecy home, but until then...

* - I believe that, if looked at from an outsider's perspective Earth's continents would be the Americas, Afroeurasia, Australia, and Antarctica. The cultural and political boundries (and assorted man-made canals) that cause us to ignore the theoretical possibility of walking from Cape of Good Hope to the western edge of the Bering Starit when counting continents would not affect a guest from offworld.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ken

In-Forcer

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:38 pm

In-Forcer - PL 11

Strength 7, Stamina 6, Agility 6, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Grab, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Teamwork

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+9), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+6), Perception 4 (+4), Ranged Combat: Force Power Array 5 (+8)

Powers
Force Armor: Protection 8 (+8 Toughness; Impervious [5 extra ranks]; Noticeable: Visible Force Field)
Force Flight: Flight 12 (Speed: 8000 miles/hour, 16 miles/round)
Force Power Array
. . Kinetic Blast: Damage 14 (DC 29; Increased Range: ranged)
. . Kinetic Lift: Move Object 14 (400 tons)
. . Thicker Force Wall: Create 5 (Volume: 30 cft., DC 15; Impervious, Movable, Selective, Stacks with: Force Wall: Create 6)
Force Wall: Create 6 (Volume: 60 cft., DC 16; Impervious, Movable, Selective)

Offense
Initiative +6
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 17)
Kinetic Blast: Damage 14, +8 (DC 29)
Kinetic Lift: Move Object 14, +8 (DC 24)
Throw, +3 (DC 22)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 22)

Complications
Police Record: In-Forcer is wanted by local and federal law enforcement agencies.
Relationship: Natalie is in love with her husband Nick.
Relationships: Natalie is unaware that she has both a brother and a half-brother or that they're both super-heroes.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 14, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 56 + Powers 104 + Advantages 6 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 196

===== Additional Details =====
PP earned so far: 10

Background Stuff
I don't really know. I know Neil created Nick and Natalie around the same time I created the Thunder Twins. Natalie Robertson, In-Forcer, is the smarter of the pair. There's a story. It is known that she is the daughter of Miss Muscles (AMA Muscle Woman) and the Deflector. Someday, I hope Neil runs the one-shot where In-Forcer meets her two brothers: Jim's Advocate of the People (in Vancouver) and my Mister Might (in Minneapolis).