Ken's Kache of Khracters (too many Hydronauts and Devilfishes)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Nimrod the Hunter

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:36 am

L-Space wrote: The only reason I found out that Nimrod wasn't just an insult was because Hackmaster (a semi-parody of DnD 1e/2e and the first pen and paper I played) had different title's for classes depending on their level and a high level Bounty Hunter's title was Nimrod. After much confusion, I looked it up and realized that he was an epic hunter from the bible.
Funny how that is, right? I hadn't discovered it untill a few years ago.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!

Jabroniville

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Goldar, Superman, RCU Heroes & Villains)

Post by Jabroniville » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:45 pm

The funny thing to me is, why wouldn't he have just changed Nimrod's name after being told the issue? It's like if some guy called his heroes "Dipshit and Douchecanoe" and excepted everyone to take it seriously. "But guys! Douchecanoe was the seventh angel of the host! He's the one who cured the shepherd's blindness and converted him to Christianity!"

I actually really like the Dragon guy. Comics doesn't have enough Dragons in it, considering how bad-ass they are. The fact that he played the character very "regal" makes him interesting- kind of like Goliath in Gargoyles- a monstrous, yet noble, hero.

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:23 am

Jabroniville wrote:The funny thing to me is, why wouldn't he have just changed Nimrod's name after being told the issue? It's like if some guy called his heroes "Dipshit and Douchecanoe" and excepted everyone to take it seriously. "But guys! Douchecanoe was the seventh angel of the host! He's the one who cured the shepherd's blindness and converted him to Christianity!"
As I said in the Real Life roll call post:
Ken wrote: Tim tried gaming with us, but, in the end, his ideas about what he wanted were too inflexible
Tim is a good man, and a good friend. He's not so good as a collaborator. And in this case, he was of the opinion that everyone was wrong when they misunderstood why Bugs used the term. He thought we should change, not his idea.
Jabroniville wrote:I actually really like the Dragon guy. Comics doesn't have enough Dragons in it, considering how bad-ass they are. The fact that he played the character very "regal" makes him interesting- kind of like Goliath in Gargoyles- a monstrous, yet noble, hero.
I was quite fond of him, too. I sometimes miss the character. I should miss the player, but honestly, I don't. Some bridges I don't know how to rebuild. If someone were told me they wanted to "adopt Dragon," I'd probably be okay with it. Even if his wife is Annette.

The Gargoyles thing is actually funny, considering some of the stuff that came later. (heh, heh, heh).
Last edited by Ken on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Does a Winnie poo in the 100-acre wood?

Ken

Fantasia

Post by Ken » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:42 am

Fantasia - PL 10

Strength 10, Stamina 10, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 6, Intellect 3, Awareness 3, Presence 4

Advantages
All-out Attack, Attractive, Connected, Contacts, Equipment 1, Fascinate (Expertise: Reporter), Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Languages 2, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Startle, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 2 (+12), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+10), Deception 4 (+8), Expertise: Reporter 7 (+10), Insight 4 (+7), Intimidation 2 (+7), Investigation 4 (+7), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 3 (+7), Ranged Combat: Firestream: Damage 10 6 (+10), Stealth 4 (+6), Technology 2 (+5)

Powers
Can See Through Own Smoke Breath: Feature 1
Dragon Aging: Immunity 1 (Aging)
Dragon Claws: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 27)
Dragon Flight: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Wings)
Dragon Hide: Protection 2 (+2 Toughness; Impervious [10 extra ranks])
Dragon Senses: Senses 2 (Infravision, Tracking: smell 1: -1 speed rank)
Dragon Size: Growth 2 (+2 STR, +2 STA, +1 Intimidate, -2 Stealth, -1 active defenses, +2 mass ranks; Increased Duration: continuous)
Dragon Speak: Comprehend 2 (Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All; Limited: Only w/ other dragons)
Dragon Strength: Enhanced Strength 2 (+2 STR; Limited to Lifting)
Dragon Tail: Extra Limbs 1 (1 extra limb, Advantages: Improved Grab; Custom: Melee Reach)
Dragon's Breath
. . Fireball: Burst Area Damage 7 (DC 22; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 17, Increased Range: ranged)
. . Fireblast: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, DC 20)
. . Firecone: Cone Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 20)
. . Firestream: Damage 10 (DC 25; Increased Range: ranged)
. . Smoke Breath
. . . . Affliction: Cloud Area Affliction 3 (1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 13; Cloud Area 3: 60 feet radius sphere, DC 13, Sustained)
. . . . Environment: Environment 2 (Visibility (-5), Radius: 60 feet)
If Looks Could Kill: Enhanced Trait 2 (Advantages: Attractive, Startle; Limited: One only when human, other while gargoyle)

Equipment
Commlink, Magic Wedding Ring Retribution Communicator 2, The Purple Dragon Medallion 0

Offense
Initiative +4
Affliction: Cloud Area Affliction 3 (DC Fort 13)
Dragon Claws: Strength-based Damage 2, +6 (DC 27)
Fireball: Burst Area Damage 7 (DC 22)
Fireblast: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Firecone: Cone Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Firestream: Damage 10, +10 (DC 25)
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 20)
Throw, +4 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 25)

Complications
Accidental Change: While Tazi has control of her transformations during the day, she automatically transforms into her dragon form at night.
Relationships: Tazi loves her husband Joshua and daughter Mackenzie very much.
Social Misfit: Fantasia is seven feet tall, 550 pounds, has a pretensil tail and wings. When in this form, she has difficulties in normal society.
Vulnerability: Because of her dragon senses, Fantasia is vulnerable to sudden bursts of bright lights or loud noises. If she is hit with flash-based attacks, they get +2 to the Attack Check and +2 to the effect.

Languages
English, French, Louisiana Creole

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 80 + Powers 65 + Advantages 11 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Defenses 12 = 193

Background Tazi Cristo had everything: A successful career, a loving husband and an adorable baby girl. Then, one night, in pursuing a story on the mysterious "businessman" Papa Boulet, she was captured by the local gang known as les Crânes. Thrown into the bayou with an anchor around her waist, Tazi clawed and scratched at her surroundings, trying to gain ground and freedom. As her hand moved along a rock face, an amulet broke free from its centuries-old home. Before she clearly knew what was going on, she had broken free of the chains and was soaring through the air with her wings.

Tazi has found that as the sun sets, she transforms into a gargoyle-like creature and patrols the night in secret to protect the innocents of New Orleans. During daylight hours, she can also will the transformation if needed, but maintains her secret identity as star investigative reporter for the New Orleans Herald. She remained with the Herald until offered a job with Drébin Technologies as their press agent, freeing her up more to be Fantasia.

Real World Stuff Katie (or Catherine), is the only one of Jim's sisters who ever indicated any interest in gaming. And when Jim started Force d'Orleans (the group Ham Mulligan eventually joined), Katie was a logical recruit. She knew all the people from their church, too. And Katie wanted to do a riff on one of The Gargoyles (Angela, I believe). Jim realised that introducing a second race of powerful, winged, super beings would be awkward, so instead convinced Katie to make her character one of the Dragons.

You see, Eric, as I said, was a big D&D fan. So I introduced a few antagonists that were based on blue and white dragons, and one of Neil's numerous attempts at creating an interesting character was to create a black dragon. Well, Katie and her brother made Fantasia a "purple Dragon".

If Katie was still playing, I'd invite Fantasia to the CoJ in a picosecond.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:20 am

hah, neat. I had the same "Attractive" mechanic on my build for Demona, I believe.

I need to look up more of the different "Gaming Groups" you had going- all of the unique city-based games and stuff like that. Did you make a list of those and I forgot? I can't remember.

Ken

Marathon

Post by Ken » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:58 pm

Marathon [now] - PL 14

Strength 10/7, Stamina 9/7, Agility 8/6, Dexterity 5/2, Fighting 8/6, Intellect 4/2, Awareness 4/2, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Close Attack 2, Close Attack 7, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Evasion, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Initiative 5, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative, Takedown, Takedown, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+11), Athletics 3 (+13), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise: Military 3 (+7), Insight 3 (+7), Intimidation 3 (+5), Perception 3 (+11/+7), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat: Firearms 8 (+13), Sleight of Hand 3 (+8), Stealth 3 (+11), Technology 2 (+6), Treatment 2 (+6), Vehicles 6 (+11)

Powers
Superspeed (Advantages: Close Attack 7, Evasion, Improved Initiative 5, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Seize Initiative, Takedown)
. . Combat Speed: Enhanced Trait 14 (Traits: Dodge +7 (+16), Parry +7 (+16))
. . Quickness 8 (Perform routine tasks in -8 time ranks)
. . Running: Speed 8+4 ([Stacking ranks: +4], Speed: 8000 miles/hour, 16 miles/round)
. . . . Jumping: Flight 8+4 (Alternate; [Stacking ranks: +4], Speed: 8000 miles/hour, 16 miles/round; Limited: Must land every round; can't change direction, Notes: High speed Leaping)
. . . . Swim: Swimming 8 (Alternate; Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)
. . Superspeed Punches (Multiattack, Penetrating 3)
Thunder Muscles
. . Enhanced Constitution: Enhanced Stamina 4 (+4 STA; Permanent)
. . Enhnaced Muscles: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR; Permanent)
. . Friction Toughened Skin: Impervious Toughness 7
. . Superspeed Punches pt. 2 (Multiattack, Penetrating 4)
Sentinel Blood Extract
. . Enhanced Trait 34 (Traits: Strength +3 (+10), Stamina +2 (+9), Agility +2 (+8), Dexterity +3 (+5), Fighting +2 (+8), Intellect +2 (+4), Awareness +2 (+4), Perception +4 (+11), Parry +0 (+16))
. . Running: Speed 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Stacks with: Running: Speed 8+4)
. . . . Leaping 4 (Alternate; Leap 120 feet at 30 miles/hour; Stacks with: Jumping: Flight 8+4)
. . . . Swimming 4 (Alternate; Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round; Stacks with: Swim: Swimming 8)
. . Superspeed Punches pt. 3 (Multiattack, Penetrating 3)

Offense
Initiative +32
Grab, +17 (DC Spec 20)
Throw, +5 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +17 (DC 25)

Complications
Deillusioned Patriot: My country, right or... No, not wrong so much.
Relationships: Mary is the follower and lover of Amos Caldwell.
Watch Lists: As a parahuman with former government ties, Marathon is watched by the Parahuman Security Bureau and a person of interest to Project Titan.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 16/9, Parry 16/9, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10/9, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 132 + Advantages 16 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 4 = 228

===== Additional Details =====
PP earned so far: 1

Known Background: Mary Atkins entered the U.S. Army right after high school. She had applied for Ranger training, despite being a woman. She had the aptitude, and the physical capability. Her superiors judged her to be a fitting candidate for Project New Moon. She was "accidentally" subjected to the same process that gave Carl (Thunder) Washington his powers. She found Eclipse later than several of the other New Mooners, but she was working with them when they were framed for crimes against the United States. It was then she encountered Amos Caldwell III.

Mary Atkins has become a devoted follower, and lover, of Amos Caldwell, and like Caldwell has received the reverse engineered Wonder Warrior formula Caldwell "obtained" from Sentinel. This in addition to the Thunder-like abilities she already had. Combined with her military training, this makes Marathon a force frightening to behold.

Marathon [then] - PL 11

Strength 7, Stamina 7, Agility 6, Dexterity 2, Fighting 6, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Close Attack 2, Close Attack 7, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Evasion, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Initiative 5, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative, Takedown, Takedown, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+9), Athletics 3 (+10), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise: Military 3 (+5), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation 3 (+5), Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat: Firearms 8 (+10), Sleight of Hand 3 (+5), Stealth 3 (+9), Technology 2 (+4), Treatment 2 (+4), Vehicles 6 (+8)

Powers
Superspeed (Advantages: Close Attack 7, Evasion, Improved Initiative 5, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Seize Initiative, Takedown)
. . Combat Speed: Enhanced Trait 14 (Traits: Dodge +7 (+14), Parry +7 (+14))
. . Quickness 8 (Perform routine tasks in -8 time ranks)
. . Running: Speed 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)
. . . . Swim: Swimming 8 (Alternate; Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)
. . Speed Punches (Multiattack, Penetrating 3)
Thunder Muscles
. . Enhanced Constitution: Enhanced Stamina 4 (+4 STA; Permanent)
. . Enhnaced Muscles: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR; Permanent)
. . Friction Toughened Skin: Impervious Toughness 7
. . Superspeed Punches (Multiattack, Penetrating 4)

Offense
Initiative +30
Grab, +15 (DC Spec 17)
Throw, +2 (DC 22)
Unarmed, +15 (DC 22)

Complications
Deillusioned Patriot: My country, right or... No, not wrong so much.
Watch Lists: As a parahuman with former government ties, Marathon is watched by the Parahuman Security Bureau and a person of interest to Project Titan.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 14/7, Parry 14/7, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8/7, Will 2

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 85 + Advantages 16 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 3 = 180

Real World Stuff Doug's first times running Eclipse, the original series of series, were while Jenn was still in junior high school. No way she was getting permission to come with her brother to game at a college campus 45 minutes from their hime. So, she never had an Eclipse character. Until Tim decided to give it running Eclipse a try. So she built a speedster character named Marathon. Because Tim's version of Eclipse went so wonderfully, the original version of Marathon was lost to the mists of time. Just as the original version of Nimrod was. However, when the ideas came to me to re-install a Nimrod back into continuity, similar ideas came to me about bring back a Marathon. So I did, making her one of Nimrod's "World Friends".

Ken

Tritan

Post by Ken » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:59 pm

Tritan [now] - PL 13

Strength 12, Stamina 12, Agility 6, Dexterity 2, Fighting 10, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 4

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Benefit, Cipher, Diehard, Favored Environment: Underwater, Improved Critical 4: Tines: Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Interpose, Languages 2, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Weapon Bind

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+7), Expertise: World Oceans 9 (+10), Intimidation 6 (+10), Perception 7 (+10), Ranged Combat: Golden Blast 3 (+5), Stealth 1 (+7), Technology 1 (+2), Treatment 4 (+5)

Powers
Kraken Hide Armour (Removable (indestructible))
. . Helm and Cup: Immunity 2 (Critical Hits)
. . Kraken Hide: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness; Impervious; Unreliable (roll))
Tritan's Trident (Easily Removable)
. . Trident Abilities
. . . . Golden Blast: Blast 13 (DC 28; Accurate 2: +4)
. . . . Haft: Strength-based Damage 2 (bludgeoning, DC 29, Advantages: Improved Trip; Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
. . . . Tines: Strength-based Damage 3 (piercing, DC 30, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Penetrating 15, Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
Aquatic
. . Immunity 3 (Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Environmental Condition: Cold, Suffocation: Drowning)
. . Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Underwater)
. . Senses 3 (Extended: Hearing 1: x10, Low-light Vision, Ultra-hearing)
Enhnaced Lifting: Power-lifting 4 (+4 STR for lifting)
Erylusian Healing: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)
Erylusian Recognition: Senses 2 (Detect: Erylusians (vision) 2: ranged)
Erylusian Toughness: Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support; Quirk: not 100% immune)
Powerful Legs
. . Leaping 5 ([0 active, 10/10 PP, 1/r], Leap 250 feet at 60 miles/hour)
. . Running: Speed 5 ([0 active, 10/10 PP, 1/r], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . Swimming 10 ([10 active, 10/10 PP, 1/r], Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)

Offense
Initiative +6
Golden Blast: Blast 13, +13 (DC 28)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 22)
Haft: Strength-based Damage 2, +10 (DC 29)
Throw, +6 (DC 27)
Tines: Strength-based Damage 3, +10 (DC 30)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 27)

Complications
Enemies: As the Scourge of the Seven Seas, Tritan has become the enemy of pirates, poachers, and certain navies.
Motivation: Arrogance: Tritan believes himself greater than the earth-born heroes or any human.
Motivation: Responsibility: Tritan genuinely believes it his duty to protect the oceans of Earth.
Relationships: Tritan loved a human woman once, but lost her, that bothers him to this day. His chief rival as protector of the oceans, Riptide, is, unknown to either party, his grandson.

Languages
English, Erylusian, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 14, Toughness 16, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 100 + Powers 68 + Advantages 15 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Defenses 11 = 210

===== Additional Details =====
PP earned so far: 4

Tritan [then] - PL 11

Strength 12, Stamina 12, Agility 6, Dexterity 2, Fighting 10, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 4

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Benefit, Cipher, Diehard, Favored Environment: Underwater, Improved Disarm, Interpose, Languages 2, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Weapon Bind

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+7), Expertise: World Oceans 10 (+11), Intimidation 6 (+10), Perception 7 (+10), Stealth 1 (+7), Technology 1 (+2), Treatment 4 (+5)

Powers
Aquatic
. . Immunity 3 (Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Environmental Condition: Cold, Suffocation: Drowning)
Enhnaced Lifting: Power-lifting 4 (+4 STR for lifting)
Powerful Legs
. . Leaping 5 ([0 active, 10/10 PP, 1/r], Leap 250 feet at 60 miles/hour)
. . Running: Speed 5 ([0 active, 10/10 PP, 1/r], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . Swimming 10 ([10 active, 10/10 PP, 1/r], Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)

Offense
Initiative +6
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 22)
Throw, +2 (DC 27)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 27)

Complications
Enemies: As the Scourge of the Seven Seas, Tritan has become the enemy of pirates, poachers, and certain navies.
Relationships: Tritan loved a human woman once, but lost her, and his search for her has brought him to Saint Louis.
Responsibility: Tritan genuinely believes it his duty to protect the oceans of Earth.

Languages
English, Erylusian, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 14, Toughness 12, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 100 + Powers 44 + Advantages 11 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 11 = 181

Real World Stuff Tritan's a weird case. After I introduced Xam Xian, and the Erylusians, Jason used the concept to give an origin to an aquatic NPC. A decidedly nastier, less co-operative type of aquatic charcter. I've always assumed that Tritan was more "Namor" where Riptide is more "Aquaman". Now, as it happened, I actually already had a picture to use, since I'd been thinking about a "new" blue-skinned aquatic character. Specifically, I was looking at building Riptide's absentee birth-father. And, when Jason came to me about Tritan, I showed him the pic, and what I was doing, and we ended up putting a generation between Tritan and Murray.

But... that's not the weird stuff. Years, and years ago, as I explained with Micron, I had tried to start a game set in Saint Louis. And one of my players built an aquatic hero for a campaign set in Missourri. He wanted to go the whole Atlantis-lost-city route. And he inexplicably swam up the Mississippi River for reasons. That early campaign was a mess. And, that character was probably the first RCU character lost to the mists of time. Don had a falling out with the gaming group before he graduated, and he was a few years ahead of me, so... Now, I had dabbled with creating a "placeholder" character (since a few of us remembered Don had had this aquatic hero in Missourri); I even did art for said placeholder. But nothing ever stuck.

And then, some months after Tritan was created, I realised, Jason did it for me. There were just enough details about Tritan that Jason had decided upon, and, just enough details he left open, that it was easy enough to say that Tritan had been searching for a lost love that had led him to visit Saint Louis, and participate in the early Gateway Guardians stories.

These days, his having similar attitudes to Xam Xian, made Tritan an obvious choice to be a part of Nimrod's "World Friends"

Ken

Aquaticus

Post by Ken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:00 am

Aquaticus - PL 12

Strength 11, Stamina 11, Agility 6, Dexterity 2, Fighting 10, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Benefit, Cipher, Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Favored Environment: Underwater, Improved Disarm, Languages 1, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+11), Expertise: World Oceans 7 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+8), Perception 7 (+9), Ranged Combat: Dark Lightning 4 (+6), Stealth 1 (+7), Technology 1 (+2), Treatment 2 (+3)

Powers
Aquatic
Powerful Legs
. . Leaping 5 ([0 active, 0/9 PP, 1/r], Leap 250 feet at 60 miles/hour)
. . Running: Speed 5 ([0 active, 0/9 PP, 1/r], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . Swimming 9 ([0 active, 0/9 PP, 1/r], Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)
Underdark "Lightning" Projector: Damage 14 (Removable, DC 29; Increased Range: ranged)

Offense
Initiative +6
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 21)
Throw, +6 (DC 26)
Unarmed, +11 (DC 26)
Underdark "Lightning" Projector: Damage 14, +10 (DC 29)

Complications
Arrogance: Aquaticus believes himself greater than the earth-born heroes or any human.
Responsibility: Aquaticus believes it to be his duty to aid Tritan.

Languages
English, Erylusian

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 13, Toughness 13/11, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 90 + Powers 61 + Advantages 14 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 193

Real World Stuff Ahhh, Aquaticus. So, as I was just saying, I dabbled with trying to create a placeholder to replace Don's lost aquatic character. It also meant that I dabbled with trying to make the whole "blue skinned aquatic race" thing work. And, besides not being happy with the attempts at the placeholder, I also never found a way to make the blue-skinned aquatic people work. At least not without ripping of DC and Marvel even more than usual.

But, Neil, apparently liked the idea, because he sat down and created another blue-skinned aquatic person. I'm not sure, if he was a hero or a villain (the character sheet I found was vague on that point). And he had darkness powers too, because... reasons, I guess. But after I had been setting up the "World Friends" (the team with Xam Xian, Marathon, Nimrod and Asshur, and Tritan), I found this old sheet for Aquaticus. And I'm OCD enough that I had to use it. The darkness powers became the "underdark lightning" gun (thankfully, I'm reasonably sure that the original Nimrod also had dark lightning powers), so it fit with Tritan's protegé getting an extra weapons.

Technically, he kind of breaks the pattern of exactly what I've done with the "World Friends". But in a minor way, it works.

So... there are some civilians who aide the World Friends. One of them, scientist Emily Weiss, is the "Lois Lane" to the Supermanalogue that is Xam Xian. But the three I created (and have yet to write-up) are Cindy Barris and Martin Knight, and Martin's working dog, Thunder. Yes, those three junior World Friends: Cindy, Martin, and Thunder Dog.

Okay. Now, have you ever wondered why the five heroes who were used on that show were the ones picked? I mean, okay, the company's big two, plus the chick, and the one guy's sidekick. All pretty obvious picks. But why the guy who talks to fish? Well, I contend that it was because several years earlier, he'd been in some cartoons done by another company. Which raised his profile. And in those cartoons, he had his sidekick with him. But for some reason, that sidekick never made it to the cartoon that made him really infamous. But that's why I'm okay with adding Aquaticus as the second protegé on the World Friends, along with Asshur.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:15 am

Yeah, Undersea Peoples are a tough sell. The issue is, readers have no sense of "identification" with them, so they care little for the people. Usually only 1 or 2 of them are ever important, so they come off as races of nobodies. And since they're away from most of the world, you only see them periodically. Which means they're prone to Back To Basics Syndrome ("Atlantis was blown up last adventure!" "Never mind- it's back in the next writer's story!"), or writers just randomly blowing them up.

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Yeah, Undersea Peoples are a tough sell. The issue is, readers have no sense of "identification" with them, so they care little for the people. Usually only 1 or 2 of them are ever important, so they come off as races of nobodies. And since they're away from most of the world, you only see them periodically. Which means they're prone to Back To Basics Syndrome ("Atlantis was blown up last adventure!" "Never mind- it's back in the next writer's story!"), or writers just randomly blowing them up.
My players are weird. I could probably get some of them to care. Hell, Neil cared before I barely working on the concept. In fact, generally, I think he's more interested in the places that most people don't identify with. The parts of the RCU that resemble the real world he seems fairly "meh" about. And as long as there's untapped story potential Jim would care.

No, my problem was creating something I would care about. And, how to do an undersea kingdom that doesn't just look like Marvel or DC's Atlantises. Particularly since, during one of the times that Timely/Atlas wasn't publishing supers, DC borrowed liberally from them. Aquaman's Atlantis didn't really take shape until the late 1950s, a few yers before the Fantastic Four would turn Timely/Atlas into "Marvel", and a few years after Namor's early-to-mid-50's revival ended.

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:47 pm

I'm trying to evaluate this against your comment of:

"If you can that's great. But just as a heads up: a) Florida is a peninsula, surrounded by ocean on three sides b) I love Aquaman c) I'm overly analytical with a healthy respect and fear of the ocean.

Which is to say, some may call it a trope. I call it 70% of the Earth's surface being rather hostile to normal people."

Oops?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.

L-Space

Post by L-Space » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Yeah, Undersea Peoples are a tough sell. The issue is, readers have no sense of "identification" with them, so they care little for the people. Usually only 1 or 2 of them are ever important, so they come off as races of nobodies. And since they're away from most of the world, you only see them periodically. Which means they're prone to Back To Basics Syndrome ("Atlantis was blown up last adventure!" "Never mind- it's back in the next writer's story!"), or writers just randomly blowing them up.
I think one of the problems as well is the hero is already from Atlantis (Namor) or has been around for so long that he's fairly well known as being from there (Aquaman). I think it could be done well with an appropriate fan-insert character or the hero as having just arrived there. Think John Carter from Mars, but Atlantis instead.
Formerly luketheduke86

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:26 am

Spectrum wrote:I'm trying to evaluate this against your comment of:

"If you can that's great. But just as a heads up: a) Florida is a peninsula, surrounded by ocean on three sides b) I love Aquaman c) I'm overly analytical with a healthy respect and fear of the ocean.

Which is to say, some may call it a trope. I call it 70% of the Earth's surface being rather hostile to normal people."

Oops?
No, oops. I still love Aquaman. And you're right about 70% of the Earth's surface being rather hostile to normal people. That's why Aquman getting mocked for his chief abilities being able to function better in that hostile environment than any person on dry land.

That doesn't mean I want an Atlantis in the RCU that is a carbon copy of Orin's or Namor's.

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:32 am

L-Space wrote:
I think one of the problems as well is the hero is already from Atlantis (Namor) or has been around for so long that he's fairly well known as being from there (Aquaman). I think it could be done well with an appropriate fan-insert character or the hero as having just arrived there. Think John Carter from Mars, but Atlantis instead.
That's actually what DC did. After more than 15 years of Aquaman not doing stuff from Atlantis, in the late 1950s, they had him start exploring his origins and his mother's original home. And the stories sold well enough that in 1962 he got his own book after twenty years as a back up feature in More Fun, Adventure, and World's Finest.

But, that was 55 years ago. His Atlantis hasn't been "new" in a long time.

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:07 am

I will say, though, that when Riptide and Waverunner meet, it strikes me that there would be a strong liklihood of some boiling hot underwater sexytime coming.

So, maybe in a few hundred yearsm their progeny could give rise to an undersea race.