J-Mart OG: Closed for a new location!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
L-Space

Re: J-Mart: Bat-Verse - GCPD, Lucius, Joker, Penguin, Two-Face, Riddler, Bane

Post by L-Space »

Ken wrote:I hate his surname being "Fries", pronounced "Freeze". It's the one really awful thing in the otherwise awesome origin from Batman:TAS. I much preferred the surname "Schimmel" he had in his first story on Batman. The one where Geore Sanders played him, and he was actually somewhat -er- chilling. Preminger and Wallach, like Schwarzenegger, were horrible.
This made me think of this Robot Chicken skit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri3h04pvbMY :lol:.
Formerly luketheduke86
Thorpocalypse

75 - Clayface

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We're back at work after a nice management retreat to the Big Easy! Now that we're refreshed (and less hungover), it's time to get back to stocking the shelves as we continue to work on getting all the items from our Gotham location ready for the public! Check out this new item for Aisle 1!

You've upstaged me for the last time, Batman. Time to bring down the curtain. - Clayface

CLAYFACE
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: -; DPL: 10; FWPL: 9; HP: 1
Height: Variable
Weight: Variable
Eyes: Yellow (Variable)
Hair: None (Variable)
Skin: Orange (Variable)
Race: Human Mutate
Identity: Secret
Alignment: Villain
Base of Operations: Gotham City, NJ, USA
Team Affiliations: None

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 8, STAMINA 8, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+10), Deception 6 (+9), Expertise [Acting] 9 (+10), Insight (+2), Intimidation 6 (+9), Perception (+2), Persuasion 3 (+6), Stealth 6 (+8)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Close Attack (2), Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Power Attack

POWERS:
Clayface Physique: Immunity 8 (Critical Hits, Disease, Heat, Poison, Radiation, Suffocation), Protection 2, Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds, Extra: Persistent); 14 pts
Reconstitution: Healing 5 (Flaw: Limited to self); 5 pts
Feats of Clay: 21 pt Array; 25 pts
Shapeshifting: Feature 1 (Voice Mimicry), Morph 4 (Any form of same mass); 21 pts
Hard Clay Form: Strength-based Damage 4 (Extra: Reach 2 [10 ft], Variable Descriptor [Bludgeoning/Piercing]), Impervious Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 5; 1 pt
Soft Clay Form: Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 2, Elongation 1 (15 ft), Insubstantial 1 (Fluid), Movement 1 (Slithering), Immunity 10 (Bludgeoning Damage, Flaw: Limited to half effect); 1 pt
Splitting Up: Summon 5 (75 pt Minion [Clayface Duplicate], Extra: Active, Heroic); 1 pt
Engulf: Cumulative Affliction 10 (Resisted by Fortitude, Overcome by Strength/Damage/Sleight of Hand; 1st: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Immobilized, Extra: Extra Condition, Reach 3 [15 ft], Flaw: Limited to two degrees); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +8 [Unarmed +8; Hand Clubs +10; Hand Hammers +12; Suffocation Affliction +10]
Ranged Attack +2

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +10 (+14 in Hard Clay Form, +5 Impervious in Hard Clay Form), Fortitude +10, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Hatred: Roland Daggett, for making him into the monster he's become.
Thrills: Hagen often takes jobs or gets into antagonistic relationships just for the thrill of it, or just to have a chance to "perform".
Vulnerable: Clayface is vulnerable to water, cold or extreme heat based attacks, taking an extra degree of failure against them and high powered attacks of those nature can either disperse or harden him to immobility immediately.

Abilities 64 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Advantages 8 + Powers 44 + Defenses 10 = 142 / 142

Build Comments: The improvement of DC characters by the original DCAU strikes again. Clayface was another Batman villain that was GREATLY improved in the Animated Series. Feat of Clay is still my favorite episode (s, I guess, it’s a two-parter) of the series. Their take on Matt Hagen and his “death scene” at the end of the episode were awesome. And Ron Perlman did his voice. If that doesn’t make it the most awesome thing ever, I don’t know what does.

I’ve noticed that the Basil Karlo in the New 52 has taken on more of Hagen’s qualities and look from a few artists, at least. He’s currently a good guy, working with Batman and Batwoman in Detective Comics, which I highly recommend.

Secret Origins: At one time Matt Hagen was a famous actor, but he became facially disfigured after a car accident. Finding work became difficult for the actor, and he feared the worst for his career. Things took a change, however, when he was visited by Roland Daggett, who offered Hagen a second chance. Daggett had developed the Renuyu cream, an untested drug that could reconfigure a person's face, and Hagen was the perfect specimen to try it. Though Hagen agreed to use the cream, he didn't realize the true nature of the situation.

Ever the businessman, Daggett demanded that Hagen commit various crimes using his ability to impersonate people. Daggett's main competition was Wayne Industries; as a result, Hagen began impersonating Bruce Wayne, and attempted to murder Lucius Fox. Hagen failed, and Daggett had his supply of the Renuyu cream cut. Addicted to the formula, Hagen broke into Daggett Labs in an attempt to steal the drug. Unfortunately, two of Daggett's thugs surprised him and hyper-saturated the actor in the formula by drowning him with a canister of Renuyu.

However instead of killing him, the cream bonded to Hagen's cellular structure and turned his entire body into the cream. The transformation gave him the ability to manipulate his body into any shape or form he desired. His true form, however, was that of a hulking humanoid mass of living clay and took the moniker of Clayface.

The Story so Far: Though his friend Teddy tried to stop him, Hagen fled and went after Daggett. Batman intervened and they battled until Clayface escaped through the sewers. Arriving at Gotham Insider, Clayface interrupted Daggett's commercial about Renuyu and tried to kill the businessman only to be stopped once again by Batman. Following Clayface at the AV Room, Batman used multiple images of Hagen's early movies to make Clayface emotionally unstable and cause him to lose control of his abilities. In desperation Clayface tried to kill Batman, but destroyed a screen and electrocuted himself. However, his stasis was momentary; the police left with a shell, and the true Clayface escaped in a form of a woman.

Clayface returned a few months later, but he was falling apart. The Renuyu formula was destabilizing his cellular structure, and he needed to restore it or dissolve altogether. Seeking help to keep himself alive, he visited Dr. Stella Bates, a doctor who had worked on one of Hagen's film's as a medical consultant. It is implied that Dr. Bates had fallen in love with Hagen or, more precisely, his screen persona. Clayface, in turn, subtly manipulated her by reciting lines of dialogue from his films that she thought were directed at her literally, hence reinforcing her belief that he loved her. She found a way to keep Clayface alive through an experimental isotope named MP-40, which would also restore if not increase his powers. The isotope, however, was property of Wayne Biomedical. Clayface broke into the labs and tried to steal the chemical, but only managed to grab a small amount due to the arrival of Batman. At Bates' lab, Clayface underwent some of the restoration process, but Batman interrupted him, inciting a struggle. The battle coursed its way outside the building, into the rainy night, and peaked at a riverside cliff. Clayface threw himself at Batman, but his weakened state, amplified by the absorption of the rain water, made him slow and cumbersome, and Batman dodged his attacks long enough for Clayface to start falling apart. Though the Dark Knight tried to save him, Clayface still plummeted off the cliff, falling to his presumed death.

However, Clayface survived. Though dissolving in the water, he remained composed long enough to reach a nearby factory, where he was doused with unknown chemicals that were being dumped into the river. The chemicals restored him, but he was at a complete loss. The restoration granted him the ability to separate his body into different entities, and he created a small spawn of himself to search the area. However, the spawn became amnesiac after its separation from the host, and left Clayface, thinking itself to be a mere child. Clayface wanted to complete himself, and after collecting his bearings pursued the girl. Meanwhile, Robin discovered the girl, named her Annie, and tried to help her find her identity. The trail led them back to the sewers, where Clayface waited. The familiar territory restored Annie's fledgling memory, and after a struggle, she was reabsorbed back into Clayface. In rage, Robin attempted to force Clayface to restore her, but the villain stated that was impossible. Although Clayface was defeated and taken to Arkham Asylum, Robin silently complained that he should be charged with murder for Annie's fate.

Hagen escaped, however, and has many confrontations with the Bat family since.

Characterization: Hagen has become mentally unstable but remains a dangerous foe.

Friends and Foes: He has been a long-time foe of the Bat family. He generally works alone, but often takes jobs for money to try and find a cure for his condition or just to impersonate people just because he loves to act.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Tue May 14, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

Scarecrow: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got a SCARY new item for Aisle 1!

You see, that's why I understand you, Batman. You fear nothing. Except fear itself. That's why you're driven to prove yourself over and over. Just like me. Except you can't. Because I've mastered fear... and you still run from it. - Scarecrow

SCARECROW (JONATHAN CRANE)
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 10; DPL: 8; FWPL: 6; HP: 1
Height: 6-0
Weight: 145
Eyes: Green
Hair: Brown
Skin: Fair
Race: Human
Identity: Public
Team Affiliations: Injustice League

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 1, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 4, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Athletics (+1), Deception 8 (+12), Expertise [Chemistry] 9 (+13), Expertise [Fear] 16 (+20), Expertise [Psychology] 11 (+15), Insight 9 (+13), Intimidation 9 (+13) [Fascinate. Startle], Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+7), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 6 (+8), Sleight of Hand 9 (+11), Stealth 6 (+9), Technology 6 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: Close Attack (2), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (1), Fascinate (1) (Intimidation), Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trip, Move-by Action, Startle

POWERS:
Fear of Nothing: Immunity 5 (Emotion Effects); 5 pts
Fear Gas Array: 61 pts Traits, Easily Removable (-24 pts); 37 pts
Fear Toxin Spray: Cloud Area Cumulative Progressive Affliction 10 (Resisted by Will; 1st: Dazed and Vulnerable, 2nd: Stunned and Defenseless, 3rd: Paralyzed and Unaware, Extra: Cloud Area [15 ft radius], Extra Condition); 60 pts
Fear Toxin Bomb: Burst Area Cumulative Progressive Affliction 10 (Resisted by Will; 1st: Dazed and Vulnerable, 2nd: Stunned and Defenseless, 3rd: Paralyzed and Unaware, Extra: Area Burst [30 ft radius], Extra Condition); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(5 pts)
Scythe: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Reach (5 ft), Tripping; 5 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Close Attack +12 [Unarmed +1; Scythe +4, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +2
Throwing +8
Special Attack [Fear Toxin Spray +10, Cloud Area; Fear Toxin Bomb +10, Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +11 [DC21] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +4 (+2 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Addiction: He is addicted to fear and the only thing that still scares him is Batman so he seeks him out on a regular basis.
Mental Instability: Crane's mental state is constantly in flux, one of the manifestations is his propensity to speak in nursery rhymes.
Rivalry: That “other” Scarecrow.

Abilities 60 + Skills 48 (96 ranks) + Advantages 11 + Powers 42 + Defenses 16 = 177 / 177

Build Comments: I wasn’t a Scarecrow guy at first but as the years have gone on, I’ve grown to really like him as a villain. And with the best thing about 3E, the Affliction power options, you can give him lots of options without a lot of work. I loved Wordmaker's take on his Fear Gas in 2E, where it was a two power effect, a Drain and Illusion, but with the Affliction, it's pretty much an additional effect power that you can just elaborate on with a narrative.

Secret Origins: Unloved by his mother and abandoned by his father, Crane lived mostly with his grandmother, who was a religious zealot. Whenever Crane would do something she disapproved of, she would lock him in a church, where he would be attacked by crows. At school, he was also picked on, due to his skinny body and long extremities. One day, Crane secretly watched his grandmother, who was preparing the suit he was forced to wear when he was sent into the church. He learned how she managed to get all the crows to attack. Later, he snuck into the room his grandmother had strictly forbidden him to enter. He found a library. Without his grandmother's knowledge, he learned all he could about all types of sciences, particularly chemistry. He developed his own version of the mixture his grandmother had used to attract the crows. He tested it out on one of the bullies at school. He was attacked by birds, and half blinded. When he realized Crane's involvement, he beat him up again, leading him to develop stronger chemicals. Eventually, Scarecrow killed his grandmother.

When Crane was in high-school, he was still being mocked. In addition to being called Scarecrow, he was compared to Ichabod Crane. Eventually, Crane had had enough. Fueled with the fury at having been rejected by a girl named Sherry Squires and having put up with the torment most of his childhood, he dressed as a scarecrow and took a gun to the senior prom, brandishing it in the parking lot. He frightened a car driven by Bo Griggs, the leader of the bullies, off the road, leaving Griggs paralyzed from the waist down and his girlfriend - Squires - dead.

Crane finds that he takes tremendous pleasure in scaring people, literally to their deaths. He moves on to become a psychology professor at Gotham University but gets fired from his position for harming a student during a demonstration of his theories. He chooses to take the persona of the Scarecrow and use the emotion of fear as his main weapon to take vengeance on those responsible for his dismissal from the university. The Scarecrow leaves straws as a calling card much like the Joker's playing card. He later becomes a mentor to a young Thomas Elliot.

The Story so Far: The deaths of the Gotham University dean and four regents earned Crane the attention of Gotham City's newest guardian - the Batman. Batman, working alongside the recently promoted police captain James Gordon, investigated the case and fought with the Scarecrow. Crane was apprehended and sent to Arkham Asylum. The Scarecrow was soon recruited into a gang of super-villains led by Two-Face to battle Carmine Falcone's criminal empire. The group was also responsible for the Columbus Day Massacre of Gotham's mob bosses. The team disbanded after a battle with The Hangman and the battle at the Batcave with the newly-formed Dynamic Duo, Batman and Robin.

A psychopathic sadist, the Scarecrow was one of the many criminals in Gotham City to be confined to Arkham Asylum whenever Batman apprehended him. Ironically, the Scarecrow had a phobia of birds, possibly due to an attack by birds as a child, although he has been shown occasionally as having a pet crow named Craw.

Characterization: The Scarecrow is an expert in psychology, with a focus on fear, and is a former certified professor on the subject. Due to prolonged exposure to his own gas, Scarecrow went from being frightened of bats to only being frightened of Batman. Scarecrow is both addicted to fear and incapable of fearing anything except Batman, whom he compulsively seeks in order to ease his addiction after the Caped Crusader's apparent death.

Friends and Foes: Crane works alone but has allied with other Gotham villains from time to time. And he longs to battle Batman as that’s the only thing that scares him anymore.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

77 - Man-Bat

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got more items from our Gotham location as we drop this item on Aisle 1!

I used to make fun of his name, but then I realized that we also have Man Spider, so I guess I just have to accept that writers just run out of ideas sometimes.

MAN-BAT
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 1; DPL: 10; FWPL: 7; HP: 1
Height: 5-10 (7-4 as Man-Bat)
Weight: 170 (315 as Man-Bat)
Eyes: Brown
Skin: Fair (Brown as Man-Bat)
Race: Human Mutate
Alignment: Neutral
Team Affiliations: Bat Family (sometimes)

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 6, STAMINA 7, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT -2, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE -2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+6/+10), Athletics 5 (+11), Deception (-2), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation 8 (+6), Perception 9 (+11), Persuasion (-2), Stealth 4 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Close Attack (4), Power Attack (1) (Claws), Takedown (1), Tracking

POWERS:
Bat Wings: Flight 4 (30 mph/500 fpr; Flaw: Winged); 4 pts
Leathery Skin: Impervious Protection 3; 6 pts
Claws: Slashing Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Split); 3 pts
Bat Senses: Senses 11 (Darkvision, Normal Hearing [Extended, Accurate, Analytical], Ultrahearing, Scent [Acute, Ranged, Extended]); 11 pts
Aerial Master: Enhanced Dodge 4 (Flaw: Limited [when flying]), Enhanced Parry 2 (Flaw: Limited [when flying]), Enhanced Skills 2 (Acrobatics 4 ranks, Flaw: Limited [when flying]); 4 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +12 [Unarmed +6; Claws +8]
Ranged Attack +1

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 (+11 when Flying) [DC17/21] Parry +9 (+11 when Flying) [DC19/21]
Toughness +9 (+2 Impervious), Fortitude +9, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: At times, Langstrom's personality is more dominant and he can speak. and be reasoned with. At other times, especially when he has been in his Man-Bat form for a long period, he becomes animalistic, losing his ability to speak and most of his humanity. He also very near sighted in daylight.
Involuntary Transformation: Man-Bat can be turned back in Kirk Langstrom if his serum wears off or if he is injected with the proper antidote.
Relationships: No matter what state he is in, he deeply loves his wife Francine and will protect her at any cost.
Secret Identity: Most people do not know Man-Bat is Dr. Kirk Langstrom.
Vulnerable: He is vulnerable to visual dazzle effects and hypersonics.

Abilities 46 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Advantages 9 + Powers 28 + Defenses 10 = 109 / 109

Build Comments: Build Comments: I really liked Man-Bat as a kid. He was the first villain I ever saw Batman fight in the 70's with that rockin’ Neal Adams art. I liked the DCA build OK, but they had Kirk with his full faculties in his Man-Bat form. I prefer the more feral Man-Bat.

In the Thorpocaverse, he is pretty much as he is in canon. Langstrom tries to avoid taking the serum, but his urges often overtake him and the Man-Bat flies again. Although, he is getting better about remaining in control and is sometimes an ally of the Bat family.

Secret Origins: Dr. Kirk Langstrom, a scientist specializing in the study of bats, develops an extract intended to give humans a bat's sonar sense and tests the formula on himself because he is becoming deaf. The extract works, but it has a horrible side effect: it transforms him into a hideous man-sized bat. The serum also takes away his intelligence, so he goes on a mad rampage until Batman can find a way to reverse the effects.

The Story so Far: Later, Langstrom takes the concoction again, and Man-Bat returns. He also coaxes his wife, Francine Langstrom, into drinking the serum, and she goes through the same transformation, becoming She-Bat. Together, they terrorize Gotham City until Batman can once again restore them.

On some occasions, Langstrom takes the serum and retains enough intelligence to work for the forces of good. Recently, the Langstroms were attacked by Talia al Ghul and the League of Assassins. They tied up and gagged Francine, and then threatened to poison her if Kirk does not give her the Man-Bat formula. After Langstrom gave her the formula, she releases Francine as promised. Talia utilizes the mutagen to turn members of the League of Assassins into Man-Bats.

Following Batman's death, Kirk is haunted by nightmares of becoming Man-Bat and killing his wife. When Francine disappears, he takes the serum and tries to follow her. After an altercation with the Outsiders, he returns to his human form and is captured by Doctor Phosphorus, who reveals the serum is not necessary to trigger the change. Kirk discovers that Phosphorus has also captured Francine, and becomes Man-Bat to save her.

Characterization: Kirk Langstrom is a good, but tortured man. He has worked to remain in control of his Man-Bat persona, but if he remains in Man-Bat form for a prolonged time, he loses control over his animalistic side and works purely on instinct, making him prone to harm friend and foe alike.

Friends and Foes: Friends and Foes: Kirk and Francine remain committed to each other after all their struggles. He has been both and enemy and ally of the Bat Family.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Tue May 14, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: J-Mart: Clayface, Scarecrow, Man-Bat

Post by Jabroniville »

Man-Bat's funny for me, because I'm only really familiar with him because of the the Animated Series, and the one comic Digest I have where he's a normal-talking good guy.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

These days I'm kind of fond of both Clayface and Man-Bat, but I have a soft spot for "monstrous heroes", so face turns by either are welcome for me. I'm also cool with appearances by either as villains...I just like these characters a lot.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Man bat to me is the example of how a simple change of the name can make for a great character especially a distaff counterpart like Langstrom is to Bruce.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

catsi563 wrote:distaff counterpart
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

in this instance not a female or feminized version but an opposite version. beast man as opposed to man beast that sort of thing.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Thorpocalypse

Re: J-Mart: Bat-Verse - Two-Face, Riddler, Bane, Freeze, Croc, Ra's, Talia

Post by Thorpocalypse »

catsi563 wrote:There has been some power creep on Croc over the years. Hes one of those characters that seems to go from scaly skinned wrestler to Lizard level antagonist that Batman has to pull out every trick in the ole bat belt to defeat.
Jumping back a bit, I had to build my own Croc because the DCA Croc was WAY to tough and strong for the Gotham setting. 13 Strength and +16 Toughness was out of bounds, IMHO. There is no way Batman could take him down in a straight-up fight, which he has done in canon many times. I know there's been a lot of power creep for him over the years but that was ridiculous.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jack of Spades wrote:
catsi563 wrote:distaff counterpart
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
INCONCEIVABLE! 8-)
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

So, I was running out of steam on Bat-Verse characters to build. Not that there's a not lot I still need to do, it's just that I have a short attention span and I can't do long runs of the same genre like Jab can. So I was going to post a few more, move on, and come back when the mood hits me. But then I read Batman #14. To sum up, at some point Catwoman did something that killed 237 people. How, I do not know and there's references in this issue that she's taking the fall for something she didn't do but she was in maximum security at Arkham with the death penalty hanging over her head.

Batman got her out to be part of his Suicide Squad in the last arc and as a reward, he got her death penalty removed but she is still facing life in prison. But with their relationship, she convinces him to give her one last night of freedom. So they basically hang out in Gotham all night before he finally turns her in. As part of their "date" she goes on patrol with him and he later joins her on a heist so that they can "do something she wants to do". During the patrol, writer Tom King and artists Mitch Gerards and Clayton Cowles give us a treat, showing Batman and Catwoman teaming up to lay the smack down on a who's who of Gotham jobbers, like so:

They also got The Mad Monk, The Werewolf, Kite Man and others. It was great. So it got me back in the mood to work on more builds, so the run continues now that I got some Jobber Juice to keep me going!
Thorpocalypse

78 - Black Mask

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got a BLACK LIGHT SPECIAL hitting the Aisle 1 shelves as our Gotham Villains Line gets another new member!

I am the new, undisputed, absolute crime lord of Gotham City. I am everything this city deserves -- and more. I am the darkness that fills the heart of every living soul in this sordid little town... including the blackest, most twisted soul of all... I think you know who I'm talking about. - Black Mask

BLACK MASK
PL10

OPL: 9; SPL: 5; DPL: 10; FWPL: 8; HP: 1
Height: 6-0
Weight: 183
Eyes: Brown

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 5, FIGHTING 12, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 3 [5]

SKILLS: Acrobatics (+4), Athletics 6 (+9), Deception 10 (+15), Expertise [Business] 6 (+10), Expertise [Criminal] 11 (+15), Expertise [Streetwise] 9 (+13), Expertise [Torture] 11 (+15), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 11 (+16) [Skill Mastery, Startle], Investigation 8 (+12) [Contacts, Well-Informed], Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 8 (+13) [Connected], Ranged Combat [Guns] 3 (+14), Sleight of Hand 5 (+10), Stealth 3 (+7), Technology (+4), Treatment (+4), Vehicles 3 (+8)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Beginner’s Luck, Benefit (5) (Status, Wealth, Resources 5 – Well Known Gotham Crimelord), Chokehold, Close Attack (2), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (9), Improved Aim, Improved Initiative (1), Jack-of-all-Trades, Last Stand*, Power Attack (2) (Guns, Short Blades), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (6), Skill Mastery (1) (Intimidation), Startle, Tough* (2), Well-Informed

POWERS:
The Black Mask: Feature 1 (Voice Distortion), Enhanced Presence 2, Enhanced Will 2; 7 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(45 pts)
Twin Machine Pistols: Ranged Multiattack Ballistic Damage 6, Double; 19 pts
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Dangerous; 2 pts
Vehicle: (9 pts)
Custom Limousine: Size - H, Strength - 9, Speed - 5, Def - 6, Tough - 10, Features - Hidden Compartments; 9 pts
Headquarters: (12 pts)
Penthouse: Size - M, Tough - 10, Features - Defense Systems, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Hangar, Holding Cells, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System; 12 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +14 [Unarmed +3; Knives +4, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +11
Firearms +14 [Twin Machine Pistols +6, Multiattack]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +8 (+6 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +6 (+8 with The Black Mask)

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Batman.
Mental Instability: While cold, calculating and very intelligent, Sionis has an almost unnatural attachment to the mask, the loss of which can either impair or enrage him.
Motivation: Power and money.
Rivalry: The other Gotham crime lords.

Abilities 78 + Skills 52 (104 ranks) + Advantages 40 + Powers 7 + Defenses 14 = 191 / 191

Build Comments: I was out of comics during the time that Black Mask was introduced and was in his heyday in the Bat-Verse, so I’m not that familiar with him. Then I got the War Games series. And I became a fan. His look, his tactics and his ruthless nature made him a great antagonist for Batman. But it’s the mask and his appearance that really draw you in. Masterful design.

He’s another villain that should have been left for a while, but he keeps popping up and in the New 52, he has a mind control ability that I left off because…well, I don’t like it.

Secret Origins: Young Roman Sionis came from a rich family, his father a successful industrialist. His parents would drag him around to parties, and force him to be friends with the children of other wealthy Gothamites like the young Bruce Wayne. His parents hated other people like the Waynes though, but put on almost social masks in public to seem like more charming people. Roman hated the masks his parents wore. He would later inherit the prosperous Janus Cosmetics Corporation after his parents died in a suspicious fire. Roman quickly drove the company into the ground, leaving the company open to a Wayne Industries buyout. Driven mad by losing his legacy, he turned his hatred on Bruce Wayne. Donning a mask carved from his father's coffin, he began murdering Wayne employees. In the ensuing battle with Batman, Sionis's mask became permanently burned into his face as a living death mask.

The Story so Far: Over time he would become one of Gotham City's most ruthless and sadistic crime lords, commanding the "False Facers," a masked army of henchmen. With each subsequent loss to Batman, his empire shrank and his sadism grew. Among his many crimes were the destruction of a community center on Gotham's East End, the painstaking murder of Catwoman's brother-in-law, and driving her sister Maggie insane.

Recently, thanks to a massive infusion of funds thanks to successful mega-robbery of a Swiss bank, he has been growing his criminal empire to higher levels than ever. Even though the Falcones, Maronis, Two-Face, a rising Yakuza (led by a new player known as O-Ren Ishii) and the Russian mob are still fairly strong, they are losing territories and money to Black Mask’s gang, as Sionis’ ruthlessness, planning and utilization of supers has led to him being the man that most people see as THE Gotham kingpin.

However, rumor has it that another Kingpin has his eyes on a piece of Gotham while the Bat family is distracted with the escalating war between Black Mask and the other big Gotham gangs.

Characterization: Sionis is now a feared gang leader and one of the most powerful mob bosses in Gotham, with a burning hatred for Batman. He is arguably the greatest criminal strategist and organizer in all of Gotham, having taken complete control of the entire Gotham underworld on at least two occasions.

Friends and Foes: He is obsessed with ending the Bat family, especially Batman himself.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sat May 25, 2019 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

79 - Hush

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got another new item for our Gotham Villains Line but...shhhhhhhhhh...keep this one on the down low...

When I was a boy, you watched me play, Alfred. You watched over Bruce and me as we had a good old time, engaging in games and mock battles. Now you're here to see the game played for real this time. No pretending. And I wouldn't have it any other way. - Hush

HUSH
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 10; DPL: 10; FWPL: 9; HP: 1
Height: 6-3
Weight: 220
Eyes: Blue

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 7, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 7, AWARENESS 7, PRESENCE 5

SKILLS: Acrobatics 5 (+10), Athletics 9 (+12), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+17), Deception 8 (+13) [Taunt], Expertise [Surgeon] 13 (+20) [Skill Mastery], Insight 3 (+10), Intimidation 8 (+13), Investigation 5 (+12) [Well-Informed], Perception 6 (+13), Persuasion (+5), Ranged Combat [Guns] 2 (+14) [Skill Mastery], Sleight of Hand 3 (+10), Stealth 6 (+11), Technology (+7), Treatment 13 (+20) [Skill Mastery], Vehicles 3 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (4) (Wealth 4 [Multi-Millionaire]), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Eidetic Memory, Equipment (5), Favored Foe (Batman), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (2) (Unarmed, Pistols), Improved Initiative (1), Improvised Weapon (1), Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages (3) (French, Spanish, Japanese, 7 others, Base: English), Power Attack (2) (Guns, Unarmed), Precise Attack (1) (Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (5), Seize Initiative, Skill Mastery (3) (Expertise [Surgeon], Ranged Combat [Pistols], Treatment), Takedown (1), Taunt, Trance, Well-Informed

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
(25 pts)
Leather Coat and Mask: Protection 1, Feature 1 (Mask distorts voice); 2 pts
Medical Kit: Feature 1 (+2 Treatment checks); 1 pt
Twin Pistols: Ranged Multiattack Ballistic Damage 6; 18 pts
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Dangerous; 2 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9 (Seize Initiative)
Close Attack +13
Unarmed +17 [Unarmed +3, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +12
Pistols +14 [Twin Pistols +6, Critical 19-20, Multiattack]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +13 [DC23] Parry +13 [DC23]
Toughness +7 (+5 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Obsession: Destroying Bruce Wayne/Batman and anything and everything he loves
Rivalry: After his beatdown of The Joker a while back, the Harlequin of Hate is none too fond of him and neither wants the other kill Batman first

Abilities 102 + Skills 44 (88 ranks) + Advantages 40 + Powers 0 + Defenses 14 = 200 / 200

Build Comments: I am generally a Jeff Loeb fan, even though he has certainly had his share of swings and misses (not real fond of his Rulk introduction, but at least overall he’s turned out to be a decent character). But my favorite Batman arcs are The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, so he keeps his cred with me just for those. Another of his better Batman arcs is Hush, and while the “mystery” of who Hush is can be figured out pretty quick, the overall story is worth the ride. He writes Batman very well, and also has a good feel for Gotham overall, or at least how I like it betrayed.

I made my Hush just a shade below Bruce, to where Bruce has to work to beat him and with some good rolling, Tommy should be able to take him from time to time. I’m striking the whole “plastic surgery to look just like Bruce” thing, I thought that was a dumb arc.

Secret Origins: Tommy was a close childhood friend of Bruce Wayne (Batman). Both were born into wealthy families. Bruce's father, Thomas, was happy to see the children become friends, something he thought Bruce needed so much. The boys loved to play strategy games, but Tommy was always able to outmaneuver Bruce.

Elliot hated his parents as a boy. Driven by his want for independence and wealth, he cut the brakes on his parents' car and convinced their chauffeur to stay home that night, which led to the death of his father. However, Bruce promised Tommy that his dad would save Tommy's parents and even though he failed to save Tommy's father he was able to save his mother.

However, this enraged young Elliot. He took his anger out on Bruce, who had promised Elliot that his parents would be saved, and attacked his childhood friend. To Bruce's shock, Dr. Wayne scolded him when he fought back and comforted Elliot like a father would a son, something Bruce never fully forgave his father for. Meanwhile, Elliot's rage was fueled by the murder of the Waynes, which put Bruce Wayne in just the situation Elliot wanted himself. His hopes for wealth ruined, he decided to wait for a lucky day.

The Story so Far: Elliot's mother later came down with cancer. While he went on to Harvard and became a successful surgeon, Elliot continued to hold an irrational grudge towards his childhood friend for having the "good fortune" he never had. Later on at some point in his career, Elliot became the doctor of Edward Nigma, the Riddler. Nigma was diagnosed with terminal cancer and decided to use one of Ra's al Ghul's Lazarus pits. In the insanity (or, as Nigma called it, clarity) that followed, Nigma uncovered the truth that Batman was Bruce Wayne. Elliot was amazed that Nigma had been able to completely remove the cancer and confronted him about it. Nigma said he thought Elliot would want to pay a fortune for a cure, since his mother died from cancer, but they discovered that they both had a common hatred for Bruce Wayne. Elliot and the Riddler decided to bring him down. Elliot created for himself the identity of Hush, a mysterious, trench-coated criminal with his head wrapped in bandages who often quotes Aristotle.

His identity came from Scarecrow singing, "Hush Little Baby", (which is incidentally a nursery rhyme about a child who couldn't be pleased) around Elliot. The two convinced and manipulated several other villains to help such as the Joker, Harley Quinn, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, and Clayface. Even Superman got involved thanks to kryptonite-laced pheromones given off by Poison Ivy along with Catwoman, who began to fall in love with Batman possibly due to Poison Ivy's pheromones.

Hush and the Riddler set up an elaborate plot against Batman, and began the execution of it by cutting the batrope with a batarang; inflicting on Batman near-fatal head trauma, for which Elliot performed surgery; getting Batman into a brawl with Superman; Elliot faking his own death and framing the Joker for it, provoking Batman into almost killing his archenemy; making Batman believe Jason Todd had returned to destroy him (this proved to have only been Clayface mimicing Jason); and even the killing of Harold Allnut. Throughout some of these events a man with bandages on his face and a trench coat would appear in the background and quote Aristotle and in only some of these instances is that man Tommy Elliot. Elliot finally revealed himself to a tired Batman and told him the truth about the Elliots' murder and his own feelings about Bruce. The two engaged in a vicious battle while Hush continued to taunt Batman, reminding him of their past and thus distracting him. Hush kept Batman at bay at first by using his handguns, but also engaged Batman in hand to hand combat and was able to hold his own. Hush finally beat Batman by shooting an explosive he had planted on the Batmobile resulting in the splash damage to hit Batman from behind.

However, Batman was saved by the intervention of Harvey Dent, who had been cured of his mental condition and facial by Elliot. He betrayed the villain by alerting former police commissioner James Gordon of the plot on Batman's life. Dent wound up shooting Hush twice, pushing him off a bridge. Batman jumps into the water both in an attempt to save him and uncover his identity. His body was never found; Superman suggested that it had been lost at sea. The courts wouldn't charge Dent without proper evidence or a body, so he was cleared of all charges and released. Thanks to Superman's x-ray vision, it was learned that Elliot had placed a tracking device in Bruce Wayne's skull when he operated on him. Superman destroyed it with his heat vision at the request of Batman. It was revealed that the Riddler was the real mastermind behind the whole plot, guiding Elliot all along. Although Batman was unsure that Hush indeed was Thomas Elliot, he never got the chance to remove the bandages and see for himself.

Hush resurfaced, and did so with a vengeance. He had been hiding in out in a swamp awaiting his next move and making his new plans to get his revenge. These plans are found by several innocents who accidentally stumble upon Hush's hideout and are all quickly killed by Hush using an axe. Determined to destroy Batman and not to let any other villains get in his way, Hush quickly carved out a niche for himself, Hush first warned the Riddler that he is coming back by paying a man to visit Riddler in jail and read him the riddle "What's orange and doesn't have many days to live?". The Riddler, desperate for help makes a bargain with the Joker to help him leave Gotham to which Joker agrees. When the Riddler escapes he is immediately hunted down and beaten within an inch of his life. The Riddler manages to escape by tossing himself off the building to which he meets Joker below. Hush warns Joker not to interfere but Joker simply laughs and orders his many thugs to severely beat Hush up. This caused Hush to rethink his plan and so he left for Star City.

Hush teamed up with JLA nemesis Prometheus after saving him from Green Arrow, Hush threw a police officer off a building so that Green Arrow is forced to save him giving Hush and Prometheus enough time to escape. Hush brought a seriously wounded Prometheus to his apartment and begins to operate on him, healing his wounds. In return Prometheus agrees to help Hush take care of Batman. The two return to Gotham City where they ambush Joker and his men just as they are about to take Riddler to a safe house. Hush ordered Prometheus to slaughter Joker’s men while Hush severely beat Joker and ends it by calling Joker nothing but "a bad joke". Before Hush can kill Joker, Batman arrived just in time to confront him. Hush revealed to Batman that he is truly Thomas Elliot and everything he had said on the bridge that night was true. Hush then made a quick escape along with Prometheus. Soon after their alliance began to torment Bruce Wayne and with the aid of the new Clayface exploiting his shape-shifting abilities, he was even able to shed doubt on his true identity and apparently also had Alfred framed for murder. Alfred's name had since been cleared.

The Joker eventually came back to Gotham along with an army of trained pigeons and retaliated. He captured Hush and kept him sedated for three weeks, and implanted a pacemaker into him, effectively gaining control of his heart and him. Hush turned to the one man he felt he could trust or rather, predict, Bruce Wayne. Wayne helped Hush on the condition that he be treated in and confined to Arkham Asylum. Hush agreed, and escaped after he was told that the surgery was a success. Batman got to him before he could confront the Joker, and the two men debated over killing such evil criminals. Hush demanded he be allowed to kill Joker and Batman seemed to agree and began to leave, but then revealed the pacemaker was still in his body, and he was allowed to escape. At that point the Joker arrived, and Hush begged Batman not to leave. The issue ended unresolved.

Hush then reappeared, following Batman and Catwoman as they tracked down the criminal known as Doctor Aesop. During Batman and Catwoman's battle with the Aesop's men, Hush appeared in the warehouse and shot Aesop twice, killing him. He then told Bruce that the warehouse would not be the battlefield for their final confrontation and quoting Aristotle, vanished through a window.

Characterization: Tommy Eliot is brilliant man who has trained himself to be nearly the equal of Batman in many ways. He is one of the best surgeons in the world, a master marksman and a world class martial artist. His greatest flaw is his obsession with killing Bruce Wayne.

Friends and Foes: Hush has made alliances in the past that have ended badly so he generally works alone. He is obsessed with killing Bruce Wayne, so much so that he has saved him from death by other villains just so he can kill him later himself.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Tue May 14, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Re: J-Mart: Clayface, Scarecrow, Man-Bat, Black Mask, Hush

Post by Spectrum »

A masked crook breaks into the J-Mart, waving a pistol around. "You! You! Behind the counter! I want all your commas and semicolons! Hand them over now and no more sentences get hurt!"

Thorp- I'm really enjoying my builds but keep getting lost in the run on sentences. :)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.