J-Mart OG: Closed for a new location!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Skaramine

Re: J-Mart: Mantis, Cosmo, Yondu

Post by Skaramine »

Goldar wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:44 pm
Skaramine wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:09 am I ain't man crushed on a superhero actor this hard since 2003 introduced me to a Mister Hugh Jackman.
But X1 came out in 2000... :?:
Oh... I was thinking of Spider-Man.

And no, I didn't get much emotional attachment to Toby MacGuire.

Yes. My 17 year mancrush on Hugh may of faded some, but in 2000, I was done for.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
L-Space

Re: 236 - Yondu

Post by L-Space »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:54 pm Build Comments: Yondu kicked ass in the original GOTG movie and he really kicked ass in the second. He thought he got the best characterization in the movie, really. It really showed how even with all the bad things he did, he still had some good left and it was apparent that his soft spot for Quill was more than just because he was just a good thief.

As a build, the cinematic version of the Yaka Arrow was almost a Perception Range Shapeable Area of at 500 ft at like rank 10, but I thought that was too much for my setting so I scaled it back, but it’s still pretty wicked. I figure he’ll still goon sweep like nobody’s business but won’t be a real threat to powerhouse types, which feels pretty accurate.
Yondu was just amazing in GOTG2. Nicely done on building his arrow too. At first it seems like a pretty simple thing, but then he's taking out hordes of mooks through walls in a couple seconds :D.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 12:24 am One thing I am going to be doing is adjusting a lot of Fort and Will defenses. Getting a 3rd degree failure in a lot of these Afflictions is next to impossible with the DC Adventures level defenses and even lowering them for my setting has resulted in very few 2nd or 3rd degree failures. I understand why they don't want Afflictions to be too powerful but why even have the degrees if you're never going to get to the higher failures?
That's been a common note about affliction which means you either have to give really high ranks of Affliction or really low Fort and Will. I wonder why they didn't have the base DC be 15 for them just like for Damage saves.
Formerly luketheduke86
Thorpocalypse

Re: 236 - Yondu

Post by Thorpocalypse »

L-Space wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 6:42 pm That's been a common note about affliction which means you either have to give really high ranks of Affliction or really low Fort and Will. I wonder why they didn't have the base DC be 15 for them just like for Damage saves.
That's not a bad option, except for the fact that it would eliminate the +1 extra for alternative save damage. But that's not a big loss. :)

I may test that and see how it goes.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

Re: 1 - Superman (Kal-El)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I know, I know, leave it alone, but... :oops:

So after some of the testing I've done and looking through tons and tons of builds recently, I realized that I wanted to try some different things at this (fairly) new thread. I was pretty much just reposting the same things I had at Ronin Army, which were reposts of what I had on the old ATT. I feel like this thread should be a fresh start. So I'm doing a review of everything and I'm going to be reformatting/reworking pretty much everything I've posted here and things moving forward will be done in the same manner. I'm thinking of adding a couple more things to short Character Bio like Hero/Villain and Status, Active/Retired/Deceased, etc.

Generally I'm going to be lowering the power effects, not necessarily power levels across the board, adjusting Toughness, Will and Fort defenses and adding the character bio info to all my characters that I just did to Clark. I'm also going to be tightening up on some of the Alternate Effects I've given a lot of characters. In testing, it really felt a lot of them had too many options. I'm thinking 2-3 non-utility effects is probably good for most characters, whereas for some of them, I realized I had given like 5-6. I still may make some more adjustments to the format and effect levels as I go but this seems like a good start. I'm also tinkering around with some more house rules and being a bit more judicious with the some of the Advantages. Maybe it was me, but I just didn't end up using a lot of the combat Advantages when testing even when I was trying to use different things to see how they worked.

Overall, Superman didn't need much tweaking, he mini-tested pretty well. One thing I wished I had added at first was a Melt effect for his Heat Vision, but again, it's not something he would need to use that much so it's an easy Power Stunt. As far as my Earth-217 setting goes, he these top of the base power level effect for heroes with his 18 strength. I removed Power Attack so he tops out a max of 20 damage without some hero point usage. My reworked Thor or Hulk will be able to hit a little harder, but they'll be sacrificing a ton of accuracy to do so. We'll see how it goes.

Thorpocalypse wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:55 am Image
Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. - Superman

SUPERMAN (KAL-EL)
PL: 14 (282 pts)
OPL: 14; DPL: 14; HP: 1
Height: 6-4
Weight: 225
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Race: Kryptonian
Identity: Secret
Base of Operations: Metropolis, USA
Team Affiliations: Justice League; JLAXI; Legion of Super Heroes (Honorary)

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 18, STAMINA 14, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 4, AWARENESS 5, PRESENCE 5

SKILLS: Athletics (+18), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+8), Deception (+5), Expertise [Farmer] 1 (+5), Expertise [Journalism] 6 (+10), Insight (+5), Intimidation (+5), Investigation 1 (+5), Perception 5 (+10), Persuasion 8 (+13), Stealth (+2), Technology 3 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Beginner's Luck, Benefit (1), Connected, Deep Ties* (1) (Responsibility), Diehard, Equipment (6), Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Inspire (3), Interpose, Languages (3) (Kryptonian, Spanish, Frecnh, Farsi, Russian, 5 others, Base: English), Leadership, Luck (Edit Scene) (1), Luck (Heroic Feat) (1), Luck (Improve Roll) (1), Ranged Attack (3), Rousing Speech* (1) (Persuasion), Ultimate Effort (2) (Ultimate Strength Check, Ultimate Toughness Check)

POWERS:
More Powerful Than a Locomotive: Enhanced Strength 6 (400,000 Tons; Flaw: Limited to Lifting), Feature 1 (Extraordinary Effect for +2 ranks of strength); 6 pts
Invulnerability: Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 17, Enhanced Advantages 2 (Diehard, Great Endurance), Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support), Regeneration 3 (1/every 3 rounds; Extra: Persistent, Flaw: Limited [Requires exposure to yellow sunlight]); 37 pts
Faster Than a Speeding Bullet: 31 pt Dynamic Array; 35 pts
Able to Leap Tall Buildings: Flight 15 (64,000 mph/125 mpr; Extra: Dynamic); 31 pts
Super Speed: Speed 15 (64,000 mph/125 mpr), Quickness 8, Enhanced Advantages 5 (Improved Initiative 5), (Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts
Space Travel: Movement 2 (Space Travel 2 [Other star systems]); 1 pt

Powers Far Beyond Those of Mortal Men: 32 pt Array; 35 pts
Heat Vision: Ranged Heat Energy Damage 15 (Extra: Accurate 2); 32 pts
Freezing Breath: Cone Area Cumulative Affliction 10 (Ice; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Hindered, 2nd: Immobilized, 3rd: Paralyzed; Extra: Cone Area [60 ft cone]); 1 pt
Super-Breath: Cone Area Move Object 10 (Air; Extra: Cone Area x2 [120 ft cone], Flaw: Range [Close], Limited Direction [towards or away]); 1 pt
Super Senses: Senses 21 (Normal Hearing [Acute, Extended 4, Penetrates Concealment, Flaw: Cannot see through lead], Normal Vision [Extended 4], Infravision [Extended], Microscopic Vision 4 [Atomic], Ultra-Hearing [Extended]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(30 pts)
Kryptonian Battle Armor: Protection 2, Feature 1 (Quick Change); 3 pts
Headquarters: (27 pts)
Fortress of Solitude: Size – H, Tough – 20, Features - Communications, Computer, Concealed 3 [+20 DC], Defense System, Hangar, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Isolated, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel [Kelex and Robots], Power System, Security System 2 [DC25]); 27 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2 (+22 with Super Speed)
Close Attack +6
Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +18]
Ranged Attack +5
Heat Vision +9 [Heat Vision +15]
Special Attack [Super Breath Move Object +10, Cone Area; Freeze Breath Affliction +10, Cone Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +18 (+18 without Defensive Roll, +9 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Power Loss: Superman loses his powers and his Str and Sta are reduced to 3 under a red sun, like that of Krypton, and other effects draining or interfering with the energies of the yellow sun can deprive him of his powers.
Relationships: Superman’s closest relationship is with his wife, Lois Lane and his son, Jon Lane Kent. Other important people in his life include his mother and father, Martha and Jonathan Kent, his cousin, Supergirl, his clone Kon-El, and friends and co-workers Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, and Catherine “Cat” Grant and of course, his loyal dog, Krypto. In the superhero community he is close to Batman, Wonder Woman, Captain America and Thor.
Responsibility: Superman feels a strong sense of responsibility to use his powers for the benefit of all.
Secret Identity: Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet.
Vulnerable: Kryptonians are as vulnerable to magic as anyone else. They lose their ranks of Protection and their Toughness is not Impervious against magical attacks.
Weakness: Kryptonite...Its radiation saps the Strength and powers of Kryptonians, leaving them impaired, disabled, and eventually debilitated in terms of Strength and power effects. Long-term exposure (usually a matter of minutes, less for a large enough amount) imposes the dying condition and may lead to death.

Abilities 112 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Advantages 28 + Powers 113 + Defenses 16 = 282 / 282
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

If you do test out tweaks to Affliction, please let us know how it goes. I think a lot of people find it unsatisfying.
Thorpocalypse

Re: 7 - Batman

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Of course, if I update Superman, I have to update Batman. I wonder how many versions of Batman I've done in the almost 10 years of J-Mart? I'm sure whatever it is, it's more than a sane person should even come close to having. :)

I just updated Bruce not too long ago so structurally, I'm good with him. I feel like I have the new formatting in place and the one change I made was to adjust his Will down from +12 to +10. I think I'm going to update Grodd and/or Professor X to start some more testing with their mental Afflictions. I'm not sure how I feel about the suggestion of moving the check base from DC10 to DC15 but I'm willing to try it. If I did, I'm thinking I'll have to limit that to Afflictions only because it would make Weaken and Nullify effects too powerful, I would think.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:13 pm Image
No, Clark, you're missing the point of the question. Why do I keep that giant penny? Or old costumes, models of the Batmobile? Orphans are collectors, Clark. Losing so much... makes it that much harder to give things up. - Batman

BATMAN (BRUCE WAYNE)
PL: 12
OPL: 12; DPL: 11; HP: 1

Height: 6-2
Weight: 225
Race: Human
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Gotham City, USA
Team Affiliations: Justice League

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 4, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 7, FIGHTING 14, INTELLECT 10, AWARENESS 7, PRESENCE 7

SKILLS: Acrobatics 9 (+15), Athletics 11 (+15), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+18), Deception 8 (+15), Expertise [Criminology] 10 (+20), Expertise [Science] 5 (+15), Expertise [Streetwise] 5 (+15), Insight 8 (+15) [Assessment], Intimidation 9 (+16/+22) [Skill Mastery, Startle], Investigation 12 (+22) [Contacts, Skill Mastery, Well-Informed], Perception 13 (+20), Persuasion 8 (+15) [Connected], Sleight of Hand 12 (+19) [Conceal Efforts, Hide Tampering], Stealth 14 (+20) [Accelerated Stealth, Hide in Plain Sight, Skill Mastery], Technology 5 (+15) [Inventor], Treatment (+10), Vehicles 5 (+12)

ADVANTAGES: Accelerated Stealth*, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (6) (Status – Bat God, Wealth 5 [Billionaire]), Close Attack (2), Conceal Efforts*, Connected, Contacts, Deep Ties* (2) (Obsession, Responsibility), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (1), Eidetic Memory, Equipment (27), Evasion (1), Extraordinary Effort, Grabbing Finesse, Hide Tampering*, Improved Critical (1) (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Inventor, Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages (3) (Japanese, French, Russian, Spanish, 6 others, Base: English), Leadership, Luck (Inspiration) (1), Move-by Action, Power Attack (1) (Unarmed), Precise Attack (2) (Close, Concealment; Ranged, Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (7), Skill Mastery (3) (Intimidation, Investigation, Stealth), Startle, Takedown (1), Tracking, Trance, Ultimate Effort (1) (Ultimate Will), Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

POWERS:
The Batsuit: 21 pts Traits, Removable (-4 pts); 17 pts
Kevlar Weave: Protection 2, Immunity 2 (Critical Hits, Flaw: Limited [Ballistics only]); 3 pts
The Cowl: Enhanced Skills 3 (Intimidation 6 ranks), Feature 1 (Batcomputer A.I.), Senses 2 (Low Light Vision, Infravision), Commlink (Communication 3 [Radio, Statewide/Small Nation, Extra: Subtle, Flaw: Limited to Bat Family]); 16 pts
The Cape: Flight 4 (30 mph/500 ft pr, Flaw: Gliding, Uncontrolled); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(135 pts)
Grapple Gun: Movement 1 (Swinging), Ranged Trip; 3 pts
Lockpicks: Feature 2 (Tools, Sleight of Hand/Technology), Concealable; 3 pts
Utility Belt: (35 pts)
Bat Gadgets: Variable 1 (5 pts traits; Any tool or skill equipment, Free Action, Quirk [Limited to 2 equipment points or less]); 6 pts
Bat Flash Bang Grenade: Burst Area Affliction 6 (Resisted, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Visually and Auditory Impaired, 2nd: Visually and Auditory Disabled, 3rd: Visual and Auditory Unaware, Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius], Extra Condition); 18 pts
Bat Tear Gas Grenades: Cloud Area Affliction 6 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed and Visually Impaired, 2nd: Stunned and Visually Disabled, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Cloud Area [15 ft radius], Extra Condition); 1 pt
Batarang: Ranged Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 2, Ricochet 2; 1 pt
Exploding Batarangs: Ranged Burst Area Ballistic Damage 6, Extra: Burst Area (30 ft radius), Flaw: Diminished Range (5/10/25), Unreliable (5 uses); 1 pt
Bat Shuriken: Ranged Multiattack Piercing Damage 2; 1 pt
Thermite: Burst Area Damage 9, Extra: Burst Area (30 ft radius), Triggered, Flaw: Unreliable (5 uses); 1 pt
Smoke Pellet: Enhanced Advantage 1 (Hide in Plain Sight); 1 pt
Bolo: Ranged Grabbing 4, Flaw: Diminished Range (10/25/50); 1 pt
Smoke Grenade: Cloud Area Concealment 4 (Visual, Resisted by Dodge; Extra: Attack, Cloud Area [15 ft radius]); 1 pt
Mini-Tracers: Senses 1 (Tracking [Radio], 5 Mile range); 1 pt
Antitoxin: Feature 1 (+5 bonus on resistance checks against toxins); 1 pt
Handcuffs: Feature 1 (Toughness 9, DC20 Sleight of Hand/Technology); 1 pt
Vehicles: (58 pts)
The Batplane: Size - H, Strength - 10, Flight - 11, Def - 8, Tough - 11, Features – Autopilot, Cloaking, Communications 2, Computer, Navigation System 2 [+10], Remote Control, Air-to-Air Missiles: Ranged Burst Area Ballistic Damage 10 (Extra: Burst Area 8 [30 ft radius], Homing 6); 55 pts
The Batmobile: Size - H, Strength - 9, Speed - 6, Def - 6, Tough - 11, Features - Alarm 4 [DC35], Autopilot, Caltrops, Communications 2, Computer, Hidden Compartments 2 [DC25], Impervious Toughness 5, Navigation System 2 [+10], Oil Slick, Remote Control, Smokescreen,; 1 pt
The Batboat: Size - L, Strength - 9, Speed - 6, Def - 6, Tough - 10, Features - Alarm 4 [DC35], Autopilot, Communications, Computer, Hidden Compartments 2 [DC25], Navigation System 2 [+10], Remote Control, Smokescreen, Impervious 5); 1 pt
The Batpod: Size - M, Strength - 2, Speed - 6, Def - 10, Tough - 9, Features - Alarm 4 [DC35], Autopilot, Communications, Computer, Hidden Compartments 2 [DC25], Navigation System 2 [+10], Remote Control, Smokescreen, Impervious 5; 1 pt
Headquarters: (32 pts)
The Batcave/Wayne Manor: Size – H, Tough – 12, Features - Combat Simulator, Communications, Bat Computer 2 [+5 Intelligence Based Skill Checks], Concealed 3 [+20], Defense Systems, Dock, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Grounds, Gym, Hangar, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Secret, Security System 4 [DC35], Workshop; 31 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attack +16
Unarmed +18 [Unarmed +4, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +14 [Batarangs +6; Bat Shuriken +2, Multiattack]
Special Attack [Exploding Batarangs +6, Burst Area; Thermite +9, Burst Area; Bat Flash Bangs Affliction +6, Burst Area; Bat Tear Gas Affliction +6, Cloud Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +14 [DC24] Parry +14 [DC24]
Toughness +8 (+5 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +10 (Ultimate Effort)

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: The Joker, Ra's Al Ghul, Bane, Two-Face, Catwoman (sometimes) and a litany of others.
Flashbacks: Batman is sometimes stunned by traumatic flashbacks to the night his parents were murdered, especially in connection to Crime Alley, where the killings took place.
Obsession: Batman is driven to fight crime by the murder of his parents and the promise he made to rid Gotham of the evil that took their lives.
Relationships: He has strong relationships with Tim Drake-Wayne, Dick Grayson-Wayne, Damian Wayne, Cassandra Cain-Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth, Jason Todd, Commissioner Jim Gordon, Lucius Fox, Barbara Gordon, Zatanna, Superman and Wonder Woman. And sometimes Catwoman.
Responsibility: Batman sees Gotham as "his city" and protects it fiercely.
Rivalry: It’s more from Ollie’s side than his, but he has a bit of a rivalry with Green Arrow. And he and Hal Jordan and Steve Rogers don’t see eye to eye often, either. But there is always respect.
Secret Identity: He has a secret identity of Bruce Wayne that he protects fiercely.

Abilities 120 + Skills 68 (136 ranks) + Advantages 82 + Powers 17 + Defenses 14 = 301 / 301
Thorpocalypse

Re: 190 - Spider-Man (Peter Parker)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

So I haven't read much Spider-Man since Pete came back, which is weird. And I was going to jump back in but then I saw another Clone thing was coming up, so I decided to wait until that ended. I'm feeling pretty good about that decision, except for Otto coming back as The Superior Octopus where he got a clone Pete body AND he has his tentacle harness. That is fantastic and that version will be coming up soon.

But I did take another run at Pete while I am reworking builds. After his test with Bane, I made a couple of adjustments. On top of that, I thought I would take a moment to note a couple of things I am also testing. One thing is ranked Power Attack. This came about with my (as of the moment) unposted Batman test. With his Power Attack and a +6 Batarang attack, he can hit at +11 damage with that. I didn't like it. But I did like that he can hit at +9 unarmed with a full Power Attack, so I tested only allowing that Advantage on his unarmed and it felt more right. So at least for a while, you'll see the Power Attack Advantage ranked and limited only to the powers/abilities that are listed for that character. It may become problematic for the big time hitters, but for more street level folks like Bruce and Pete, it seems to work.

I also brought back the Deep Ties advantage from 2E Mecha and Manga. It allows you to get 2 HP for a specific complication. I haven't tested it yet, and it could be OP in 3E but it seems to fit well for the icons of the superhero world.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:05 am Image
Hey, do you guys realize that the acronym for "Anti-Spider Squad" is A.S.S.? So I can call you big A.S.S.!, and you dumb A.S.S. and if your team does a tie-in with Hershey's, you can each be a candy A.S.S.! - Spider-Man

SPIDER-MAN (PETER PARKER)
PL: 11
OPL: 11; DPL: 11; HP: 1

Height: 5-10
Weight: 175
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Brown
Race: Human Mutate
Base of Operations: New York City, NY, USA
Team Affiliations: Avengers; Justice League; Outsiders; JLAXI

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 8, STAMINA 6, AGILITY 10 [12], DEXTERITY 5, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 6, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 0 (+10/+12/+18) [Accelerated Acrobatics, Agile Feint], Athletics 0 (+8/+12) [Accelerated Climb, Fighting Climb], Close Combat [Unarmed] 0 (+8/+12), Deception 5 (+7/+15) [Taunt], Expertise [Photography] 1 (+7), Expertise [Science] 9 (+15), Insight (+4), Intimidation (+2), Investigation 1 (+7), Perception 3 (+7/+15), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat [Web Shooters] 6 (+9/+13), Stealth (+10/+12), Technology 7 (+13)

ADVANTAGES: Accelerated Climb*, Agile Feint, Deep Ties (1) (Responsibility), Defensive Roll (1), Defensive Strike (1)*, Equipment (1), Evasion (2), Extraordinary Effort, Fighting Climb*, Improved Defense, Inventor, Move-by Action, Power Attack (1) (Unarmed),
Ranged Attack (2), Redirect, Takedown (1), Taunt

POWERS:
Quip Machine: Enhanced Skills 4 (Deception 8 ranks, Flaw: Limited to Deception checks to feint/Taunt); 2 pts
Spider-Senses: Enhanced Advantages 13 (Accelerated Climb*, Agile Feint, Defensive Roll, Defensive Strike*, Evasion 2, Fighting Climb*, Improved Defense, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 2, Redirect, Takedown), Enhanced Skills 5 (Acrobatics 6 ranks, Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 ranks), Enhanced Skills 4 (Perception 8 ranks, Flaw: Limited to Danger Sense checks), Enhanced Agility 2, Enhanced Dodge 3, Enhanced Parry 4, Senses 6 (Danger Sense [Mental, Ranged, Extra: Extended, Counters Concealment]); 36 pts
Spider-Strength: Enhanced Strength 1 (12 Tons; Flaw: Limited to lifting), Enhanced Skills 2 (Athletics 4 ranks); 3 pts
Does Whatever a Spider Can: Leaping 2 (30 ft), Speed 1 (4 mph/60 fpr), Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2 [Normal speed]); 7 pts
Web Shooters: 38 pts Traits, Removable (-8 pts); 30 pts
Web Swinging: Movement 1 (Swinging), Speed 4 (32 mph/500 fpr); 6 pts
Web Slinging: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 9 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Strength/Damage; 1st: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Immobilized; Extra: Extra Condition, Split, Flaw: Limited to two Degrees); 28 pts
Web Throwing: Move Object 9 (Extra: Split); 1 pt
Webbing over the eyes: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 9 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Strength/Damage; 1st: Visually Impaired, 2nd: Visually Disabled, 3rd: Visually Unaware, Extra: Split, Flaw: Limited to one sense [Visual]); 1 pt
Web Nets: Ranged Shapeable Area Movement 1 (Safe Fall, Extra: Affects others, Shapeable Area [30 ft volume], Attack, Quirk: Requires anchor); 1 pt
Web Spinning: Create 6 (Extra: Continuous, Stationary, Tether, Flaw: Permanent, Quirk 2 [No complex objects, Stationary requires anchor]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(5 pts)
Spider-Tracer: Feature 2 (Tracking, 5 Mile range; Linked to Spider-Sense); 2 pts
Camera: Feature 1 (Photography); 1 pt
Extra Web Fluid Canisters: Feature 1 (Can eliminate Web Fluid Power Loss Complication at GM discretion); 1 pt

OFFENSE:
Initiative +12
Close Attack +8
Unarmed +12 [Unarmed +8]
Ranged Attack +7
Web Shooters +13 [Web Slinging Affliction +9; Web Spinning Create +6; Web Throwing Move Object +9; Webbing Over the Eyes Affliction +9]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 (+15 with Spider-Sense) [DC22/25] Parry +11 (+15 with Spider Sense) [DC21/25]
Toughness +7 (+6 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin, Sandman, Mysterio, Electro, The Chameleon, The Kingpin, Mr. Negative, Rhino, Kraven the Hunter and on and on...
Guilt: He still has great guilt over the deaths of his beloved Uncle Ben and his first love, Gwen Stacy. He still tries to make up for them every day.
Power Loss: Sometimes the flu, a radiation drain or just his own mental state can cause him lose his powers. If he does, his stats change to STR 2, STA 2, AGL 2, DEX 1, and FGT 4.
Power Loss: Those web shooters seem to run out of fluid at the most inopportune times.
Prejudice: J. Jonah Jameson and those that he influences will NEVER accept Spider-Man. And thanks to JJJ, he still suffers from the "hero or menace" problem with the public.
Relationships: The list is long, but includes, Mary Jane, Aunt May, Uncle Ben's memory, Spider Girl, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Scarlet Spiders Ben Reilly and Kaine, Robbie Robertson, Betty Brandt, Carlie Cooper, Flash Thompson and sometimes Harry Osborn.
Responsibility: With great power comes great…
Secret Identity: He has his secret identity of Peter Parker which he guards fiercely thanks to his Rogues' Gallery.

Abilities 98 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 78 + Defenses 10 = 207 / 207
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Quip Machine: Enhanced Skills 4 (Deception 8 ranks, Flaw: Limited to Deception checks to feint/Taunt); 2 pts
This is definitely one of those non-powered powers which come with the descriptor - Training. :)

Between you and Jab, this month has been Spidey-heaven!

I will admit that a cursory reading of the intro text, I got way excited seeing "hitting +11 with a Batarang" and thought... Spidey is Bat-Fam!!!! (Though, in the Thorpverse, Outsiders and Nightwing are actually my perfect team membership.)

(I even once did an outline in a shared universe like yours where instead of visiting Fantastic Four headquarters, he happened upon the Titans' lair with a mirror-battle of that. And for a short time, the Titans were Spidey, the Torch, Robin and Kid Flash.)
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Hey Thor,

I've mentioned before how I love/copied your build format (and pilfered some power set ups) when building characters when I submit to an online game. I'm getting ready to launch an online game based on the Marvel Cinema/TV Universes with some tweak/twist. I would like to borrow from a number of your builds for the game if you don't mind?

I have most the major characters and arcs in the personal "think tank" now, and I'm trying to see what PL and PP that I'll need for the characters to be properly challenged. There is a chasm between taking on the likes of Serpent Squad one week and the Squadron Supreme the next ;)

PS: as a plus it will make an interesting test for how the builds work versus characters in play :twisted:
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

StarGuard wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:57 am Hey Thor,

I've mentioned before how I love/copied your build format (and pilfered some power set ups) when building characters when I submit to an online game. I'm getting ready to launch an online game based on the Marvel Cinema/TV Universes with some tweak/twist. I would like to borrow from a number of your builds for the game if you don't mind?

I have most the major characters and arcs in the personal "think tank" now, and I'm trying to see what PL and PP that I'll need for the characters to be properly challenged. There is a chasm between taking on the likes of Serpent Squad one week and the Squadron Supreme the next ;)

PS: as a plus it will make an interesting test for how the builds work versus characters in play :twisted:
Go right ahead, sir. That's always been one of the reasons J-Mart has been open for nigh onto 10 years now. Hope they work the way I hope they should work. Although as noted, I'm finding some things that haven't played out the way I thought they would so it would be good to get more feedback.

One tip will give for challenge evaluation is to look up Elric's thread on the old ATT. It really helped me with that. I realized I was going way too low with my challenges for my the game I'm running and some of my playtests.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

I think the thread Thorp's talking about is the one here. It's been invaluable to me too.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Thanks Thorp :D

.... and Holy Hammers that's a lot of math :shock:

Really nice guide. Once I decipher the shifting variables it will help immensely.
Thorpocalypse

Re: 100 - Captain America (Steve Rogers)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Cap gets an update during my reformatting, re-leveling run. I shifted his shield to be more like the shield in the pic since Sam still has THE shield in my setting. And of course, my Steve doesn't think he's a lifelong HYDRA agent, but that should go without saying. ;)

I am enjoying Secret Empire, though. It's dark but so is the Injustice storyline where Superman has basically done what Cap is doing and that's been one of my favorite series of all time. There's something about the uncorruptible becoming corrupt that is intriguing to me.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:23 am Image
We need you more than ever, Steve.

The REAL Steve not Hydra Cap. We pretty much have that going on right now as it is...

CAPTAIN AMERICA (STEVE ROGERS)
PL11

OPL: 11; DPL: 11; HP: 1

Weight: 220
Hair: Blonde
Race: Human
Identity: Public
Base of Operations: New York, NY, USA
Team Affiliations: The Avengers; JLAXI; The Invaders; Justice Society Initiative

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 6, STAMINA 6, AGILITY 7, DEXTERITY 7, FIGHTING 11, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 5, PRESENCE 8

SKILLS: Acrobatics 9 (+16), Athletics 10 (+16), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+16), Deception (+8), Expertise [History] 3 (+5), Expertise [Tactics] 18 (+20), Insight 10 (+15) [Assessment, Combat Clarity], Intimidation (+8), Investigation 5 (+7), Perception 10 (+15), Persuasion 7 (+15) [Connected], Ranged Combat [Thrown Shield] 4 (+14), Stealth 6 (+13), Treatment 1 (+3), Vehicles 3 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Benefit (3) (Status - He’s Captain America, SHIELD Clearance 2), Close Attack (3), Combat Clarity* (1), Combat Leader*, Connected, Cunning Fighter*, Deep Ties* (1) (The Standard), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (1), Diehard, Equipment (4), Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance], Improved Critical (1) (Shield), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Inspire (5), Interpose, Languages (2) (German, French, 3 others, Base: English), Leadership, Power Attack (2) (Shield Strike, Shield Toss), Rallying Cry*, Ranged Attack (3), Rousing Speech* (1) (Persuasion), Takedown (2), Teamwork

POWERS:
Super Soldier Enhancements: Immunity 4 (Aging, Intoxication, Disease, Poisons [Limited]), Enhanced Advantages 2 (Diehard, Great Endurance), Speed 2 (8 mph/120 fpr), Leaping 2 (30 ft), Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds); 11 pts
Star Spangled Shield: 46 pts Traits, Easily Removable (-18 pts); 28 pts
Shielding: Enhanced Dodge 2 (Flaw: Sustained), Enhanced Parry 2 (Flaw: Sustained), Enhanced Advantages 1 (Improved Defense), Impervious Toughness 10 (Flaw: Sustained), Enhanced Strength 5 (Flaw: Limited to Resisting Movement); 20 pts
Shield Mastery: 24 pt Array; 26 pts
Shield Deflection: Deflect 12; 24 pts
Shield Strike: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 2 (Extra: Breaking, Penetrating 8]; 1 pt
Shield Toss: Ranged Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 2 (Extra: Penetrating 8, Ricochet 4, Flaw: Diminished Range [10/25/50]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(20 pts)
Chain Mail Costume: Protection 2; 2 pts
Binoculars: Feature 1 (+5 Perception [Visual at Distance]); 1 pt
Mini-Tracer: Feature 1 (Tracking, 2 Mile range); 1 pt
Lockpicks: Feature 1 (Tools, Technology); 1 pt
Vehicle: (12 pts)
Motorcycle: Size - M, Strength - 1, Speed - 6, Def - 10, Tough - 8, Features 2 - Navigation System, Secret Compartments; 12 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Close Attack +14 [Shield Bash +8, Critical 19-20]
Unarmed +16 [Unarmed +6]
Ranged Attack +10 [Shield Deflection +12]
Throwing +14 [Thrown Shield +8, Critical 19-20]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +11 (+13 with Star Spangled Shield) [DC21/23] Parry +11 (+13 with Star Spangled Shield) [DC21/22]
Toughness +9 (+8 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +9, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: The Red Skull, Grand Director, Hate Monger, Batroc The Leaper, among others.
Man out of Time: Steve still sometimes has problems coping in the new millennium.
Patriotism: Next to Uncle Sam, he's the closest thing to living embodiment of American Patriotism in the world.
Power Loss: If Cap misses his target badly, or an opponent catches his shield, etc. he will have to retrieve it, losing it’s powers and advantages.
Relationships: Sharon Carter, The Falcon, Iron Man, Thor, Bucky and Superman are among his closest friends. He is also close with the original Avengers and sometimes, Nick Fury.
Responsibility: He feels a strong sense of responsibility for his country and the superhero community at large.
The Standard: Steve Rogers is held in the highest esteem amongst all the world's heroes, even by most villains, for his courage and unwavering moral compass and he feels a strong sense of responsibility to live up to that standard.

Abilities 104 + Skills 44 (88 ranks) + Advantages 40 + Powers 39 + Defenses 11 = 238 / 238
Thorpocalypse

Sub-Zero: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

After some time away from the store, we're back to work but we have to admit, we have a problem. A disease where there is only one cure...I am a NINJAHOLIC!!! And the cure is to post several ninja themed builds so we're kicking it off with a J-Mart Favorite Item that has a heart so KOLD...

This fight will be your last! - Sub-Zero

SUB-ZERO
PL10

PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 5; DPL: 10; FWPL: 7; HP: 1
Weight: 220
Skin: Olive
Race: Cryomancer
Identity: Public
Base of Operations: Lin Kuei Temple, China
Team Affiliations: Earthrealm Warriors

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 13, INTELLEKT 1, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Acrobatiks 7 (+12), Athletiks 7 (+10), Klose Kombat [Unarmed] 2 (+15), Deception (+4), Expertise [Ninja] 9 (+10), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 3 (+7), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion (+4), Ranged Kombat [Kold Kontrol] 2 (+10), Stealth 8 (+13)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (2) (Status, Resources – Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei), Defensive Attakk, Defensive Roll (1), Equipment (1), Improved Initiative (1), Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: Mandarin), Leadership, Move-by Aktion, Power Attakk (3) (Ice Blast, Kori Blade, Kori Daggers), Ranged Attakk (4), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Half-Outworld Kryomancer Physiology: Immunity 3 (Aging, Enviromental Kold, Own Powers), Movement 1 (Sure Footed); 5 pts
Freezing Teleport: Teleport 1 (60 ft; Extra: Change Direktion); 3 pts
Kryomancy: 29 pt Array; 35 pts
Freezing Ice: Ranged Kumulative Affliktion 10 (Ice; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Strength/Damage; 1st: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Immobilized; Extra: Extra Kondition, Flaw: Diminished Range [10/25/50], Limited to two Degrees); 29 pts
Ground Ice: Line Area Affliktion 10 (Ice; Resisted by Dodge; 1st: Hindered, 2nd: Prone, Extras: Line Area [30 ft line], Limited to two degrees, Instant Rekovery, Limited [Sub Zero must be on the ground, targets must be on the ground]); 1 pt
Ice Blast: Ranged Multiattakk Damage 8 (Extra: Akkurate, Indirekt [from above], Flaw: Diminished Range [10/25/50]) 1 pt
Ice Weapons: Strength-based Damage 3 (Extra: Dangerous, Variable Deskriptor [Bludgeoning/Piercing/Slashing]); 1 pt
Kori Daggers: Piercing Multiattakk Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Akkurate, Dangerous); 1 pt
Ice Dekoys: Koncealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Flaw: Limited [to Ice Dekoy Duplikates]); 1 pt
Ice Wall: Kreate 10 (Ice Objekts; Flaw: Diminished Range 2 [5/10/25]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(5 pts)
Lin Kuei Uniform: Protection 1, Subtle; 2 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Klose Attakk +13 [Ice Weapons +6, Kritikal 19-20]
Kori Daggers +15 [Kori Daggers +4, Kritikal 19-20, Multiattakk]
Unarmed +15 [Unarmed +3]
Ranged Attakk +4
Kryomancy +10 [Freeze Affliktion +10; Ice Wall Kreate +10]
Ice Blast +12 [Ice Blast +8, Multiattakk]
Special Attakk [Ground Ice +10, Line Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +13 [DC23] Parry +13 [DC23]
Toughness +6 (+5 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +7

KOMPLIKATIONS:
Enemy: Shang Tsung, Quan Chi, Shao Kahn.
Responsibility: Win the Mortal Kombat Tournament and bring honor back to the Lin Kuei.
Rivalry: With Scorpion and Noob Saibot, who is his resurrected brother.

Abilities 76 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Advantages 17 + Powers 43 + Defenses 14 = 175 / 175

Build Comments: Liu Kang may be the “champion” of the MK series, but I don’t think anyone will debate that Sub Zero is the biggest crossover star. OK, you can debate Scorpion, but be prepared for a vigorous defense from my side for Sub-Zero!

This version of Sub-Zero is build more to function in a MnM game setting moreso than how I built my MK characters before which is to be played in a “fighting game” type of setting. I’m going to have a version that works in that setting, too, of course, when I get more into my Earth-FG setting.

Secret Origins: There are two incarnations of Sub-Zero, and they are siblings: the older brother Bi-Han and younger brother Kuai Liang. The brothers were sons of a Chinese Cryomancer father and a human mother in Earthrealm. Cryomancers are an Outworld race possessing the ability to generate and control the powers of ice. Only the younger Sub-Zero would discover his heritage. Both are blue garbed warriors that have served the Lin Kuei.

It is known that the father of both brothers was a secret operative for the Lin Kuei in the United States. He married an American woman and together they had two sons. The brothers were kidnapped as children by the Lin Kuei and trained as ninja assassins.

The Story so Far: Bi-Han appeared as Sub-Zero in the first Mortal Kombat tourney, while Kuai Liang went by the codename "Tundra". After Bi-Han was murdered by Scorpion during the tournament, Kuai Liang swore revenge. He mastered the art of Ice and Cold, and took his brother's former code name: Sub-Zero. Driven by anger, Kuai Liang entered The Mortal Kombat Tournament with one goal: To destroy his brother's killer, and anyone else that gets in the way.

Bi Han later was resurrected by Quan Chi and became the undead Netherrealm wraith Noob Saibot and the two have come into conflict many times. Kuai Lang continues to try and undo the corruption in his undead brother’s soul, but so far as failed and he has a great hatred of Quan Chi for what he did.

While the younger Sub-Zero was depicted as a young Lin Kuei warrior who was living in the shadow of his older brother, he has since changed and grown into a warrior who has progressed towards the more humane sides of moral issues. This change in characteristics has not only strengthened him as a man, but has also set him apart from his former Lin Kuei counterparts. This included leaving his clan in disgust and breaking the sacred codes of honor, joining the rebellion against Shao Kahn and assisting Raiden and Liu Kang (along with Earthrealm's other chosen warriors).

Characterization: The younger Sub-Zero clearly shares many traits with his older brother, and was perhaps too similar to his brother upon his introduction. Like the elder, the younger Sub-Zero gives the impression of being a stern, distant and cold man who goes about his business silently, without attracting unwanted attention. However, as time progressed, Sub-Zero evolved into a man of great integrity and self-discipline.

He is a dependable ally of Earthrealm who is willing to assist when needed, especially when Raiden gives the call. He is without question one of the greatest and most powerful warriors that Earthrealm has to offer.

Friends and Foes: Sub-Zero and Scorpion were bitter enemies for ages because Scorpion’s belief that Bi-Han killed him and his family and in return he killed Bi-Han, making Kuai Lang seek him out for vengeance. Once it was revealed that Quan Chi was behind the death of Scorpion’s family, the two of them have reached a civil understanding, but neither could be considered an ally of the other.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:53 am, edited 10 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: J-Mart: The Art of Ninja - Sub-Zero

Post by KorokoMystia »

For Afflictions, apparently Power Attack works with them, so you can use that for ones that require attack rolls.