J-Mart OG: Closed for a new location!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: J-Mart: The Art of Ninja - Sub-Zero

Post by Jabroniville »

Weird, I thought I replied to this one. I must have forgot. Nice to see Sub-Zero back, Thorp :). What's funny is that as a kid I was a huge Scorpion mark, and so I HATED Sub-Zero. I had no idea that he was basically the franchise's most popular character (probably owing to that wicked Fatality in the first game). Though Scorpion definitely rivaled him overall. The second Mortal Kombat movie had the weirdest bit where he runs in, does some AWESOME "Ice Stuff"... and then promptly leaves, never to be seen again. Using his MK3 design, too.
scc

Re: J-Mart: Mantis, Cosmo, Yondu

Post by scc »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 12:24 am On a side note, I'm going to do a Guardians test soon. Not sure I'll get all of them involved, but I'll at least get the core team some testing. I have a playtest ready to post and I'm in the middle of a Batman test that I'm kind of afraid to post. I will say that it made me feel better about Batman's PL because he was not showing to be too powerful for a Gotham setting. The dice have not treated him well for sure and maybe I'm playing him wrong, but he's struggling in a situation that I thought he would mow through. I guess that's a good thing, though.

One thing I am going to be doing is adjusting a lot of Fort and Will defenses. Getting a 3rd degree failure in a lot of these Afflictions is next to impossible with the DC Adventures level defenses and even lowering them for my setting has resulted in very few 2nd or 3rd degree failures. I understand why they don't want Afflictions to be too powerful but why even have the degrees if you're never going to get to the higher failures?
I know what you mean about afflictions. In 2nd Edition Mind Control and Stun for instance were all or nothing. So when they added increments I am not sure why they didn't just go 15 plus power effect. That being said I think the use of situational modifiers can come into play more with affliction descriptors. Like a gas getting a +2 or +5 situational modifier for being in an enclosed room. Or Mind Control getting a situational bonus because someone is distracted. Just a thought. I always like seeing other people's thought on the mechanics of the game.
Thorpocalypse

Re: J-Mart: Mantis, Cosmo, Yondu

Post by Thorpocalypse »

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 pm For Afflictions, apparently Power Attack works with them, so you can use that for ones that require attack rolls.
Yes, indeed. That was another reason I started testing specific Power Attacks. I didn't like my Spidey being able to throw out a +14 rank Webbing affliction. I could be wrong, I've been so busy that I haven't been able to do much testing. And just when I thought things were going to slow for a bit, I got roped into coaching my son's summer league basketball team. Which I've never done before, I might add. Should be interesting... :shock:
scc wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:31 pm I know what you mean about afflictions. In 2nd Edition Mind Control and Stun for instance were all or nothing. So when they added increments I am not sure why they didn't just go 15 plus power effect. That being said I think the use of situational modifiers can come into play more with affliction descriptors. Like a gas getting a +2 or +5 situational modifier for being in an enclosed room. Or Mind Control getting a situational bonus because someone is distracted. Just a thought. I always like seeing other people's thought on the mechanics of the game.
I like that situational option, scc. I've found that I tend to skip over that when I'm not focusing on the scene itself as much when I get distracted thinking about what's coming up, etc. I'll try to give that a test, too.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

Scorpion: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We're still NINJAHOLICS here at J-Mart! Check out this companion piece to our last new item for our Mortal Kombat aisle!

GET OVER HERE! - Scorpion

SCORPION (HANZO HASASHI)
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 5; DPL: 10; FWPL: 7; HP: 1
Height: 6-1
Weight: 215
Eyes: Red
Hair: Black
Skin: Olive
Race: Human Revenant
Identity: Public
Alignment: Neutral
Base of Operations: Shirai Ryu Temple, Japan
Team Affiliations: Shirai Ryu; Earthrealm Warriors

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Acrobatiks 7 (+12), Athletiks 7 (+10), Klose Kombat [Unarmed] 2 (+15), Deception (+4), Expertise [Ninja] 9 (+10), Insight 5 (+9), Intimidation 3 (+7), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion (+4), Sleight of Hand 5 (+9), Stealth 8 (+13)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (2) (Status, Resources – Grandmaster of the Shirai Ryu), Defensive Attakk, Defensive Roll (1), Equipment (2), Improved Kritikal (1) (Unarmed), Improved Initiative (1), Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: Mandarin), Leadership, Move-by Aktion, Power Attakk (2) (Swords, Unarmed), Quick Draw, Ranged Attakk (8), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Master of Fire: Immunity 11 (Aging, Fire Effekts); 11 pts
Hellfire Teleport: Teleport 1 (60 ft; Extra: Change Direktion); 3 pts
Kombat Array: 22 pt Array; 25 pts
KOME 'ERE!: Move Objekt 7 (Extra: Damaging [2 ranks], Linked [Affliktion], Flaws: Diminished Range [10/25/50], Limited to towards self only), Ranged Affliktion 7 (Piercing; Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed and Vulnerable, 2nd: Stunned and Defenseless, Extras: Extra Kondition, Linked [Move Objekt], Flaws: Diminished Range [10/25/50], Limited to two degrees); 22 pts
Spear Tip Strike: Multiattakk Piercing Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Akkurate, Dangerous); 1 pt
Hellfire Blast: Ranged Fire Damage 7 (Extra: Indirekt [From Below], Flaw: Diminished Range [10/25/50], Inakkurate); 1 pt
Inner Flames: Reaction Fire Damage 5 (Extra: Reaktion [to being touched], Flaw: Aktivation [Move Aktion]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(10 pts)
Shirai Ryu Uniform: Protektion 1, Subtle; 2 pts
Twin Katana: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Dangerous, Double; 5 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Klose Attack +13 [Twin Swords +6, Kritikal 19-20; Inner Flames +5, Reaktion]
Spear Tip Strike +15 [Spear Tip Strikes +4, Kritikal 19-20, Multiattakk]
Unarmed +15 [Unarmed +3]
Ranged Attack +13 [COME ‘ERE! Affliktion/Move Objekt Damage +7/+2]
Hellfire Blast +11 [Hellfire Blast +7]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +13 [DC23] Parry +13 [DC23]
Toughness +6 (+5 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: He hates Quan Chi for being the one that actually killed him and his family.
Monstrous Appearance: Without his mask, he's a skeleton-faced undead guy.
Rivalry: Sub-Zero. They were enemies for a good while as Scorpion blamed Sub-Zero I for killing his family, but now that he's learned otherwise, their relationship is more civil, but not friendly.

Abilities 76 + Skills 26 (52 ranks) + Advantages 24 + Powers 39 + Defenses 14 = 179 / 179

Build Comments: GET OVER ‘ERE!

I built Scorpion to be Sub-Zero’s equal with just a few differences to separate them a bit. Basically an MnM palette swap.

I borrowed Jab’s mechanic for his COME ‘ERE Spear and I really want to test it to see how it works. I may remove the Affliction and just add Grabbing (AKA Fast Grab)

Secret Origins: Scorpion" is the code name of the ninja named Hanzo Hasashi, formerly one of the finest warriors of the Japanese ninja clan Shirai Ryu. It is known that his father, a former member of the Shirai Ryu, forbade his son from joining the ninja clan, as he did not wish for his son to live the life of an assassin. However, Hanzo joined in spite of his father's wishes in order to provide his wife and son with a comfortable life.

After he was originally killed by Sub-Zero of the rival Japanese clan of assassins the Lin Kuei, Scorpion became a hellspawned revenant residing in the Netherrealm underworld and seeking vengeance against those responsible for the destruction of his clan and the death of his family.

The Story so Far: Scorpion is introduced in the first Mortal Kombat game as a dead warrior who entere into the Mortal Kombat tournament seeking vengeance against Sub-Zero, the man who killed him. Scorpion manages to kill his target, but later learns that Sub-Zero plans to compete in the second tournament. Enraged at the idea that his nemesis has somehow returned, Scorpion tracks him down during the tournament. He realizes that this Sub-Zero was actually his killer's younger brother, who was sent to complete his brother's failed mission of assassinating the tournament's host Shang Tsung. As a result, Scorpion vows to serve as the new Sub-Zero's guardian in atonement for killing his older brother.

After competing in the next two MK tourney, he disappeared for a while but returned when Shao Kahn tries to conquer the Netherealm after his invasion of Earth and enlisted the ninja in his forces. Scorpion's allegiance to Kahn quickly dissolved when he discovered that Sub-Zero was one of Earth's chosen warriors, with whom he then sided in their final showdown with Kahn. Later was tricked by Quan Chi to believe that the younger Sub-Zero was actually involved in the deaths of his family and clan and joins Quan Chi. Scorpion emerged victorious against the new Sub-Zero, but when Quan Chi revealed the truth afterward, Scorpion grabbed the sorcerer to send him to the Netherealm. However, soon Scorpion was attacked by the Oni Drahmin and Moloch, who freed the sorcerer from the Netherealm.

Scorpion continued hunting Quan Chi and eventually met the Elder Gods, who gave him a new mission to seek and destroy Onaga before he would unmake the realms. Scorpion later made a deal with the Elder Gods to serve them in exchange for the resurrection of the Shirai Ryu clan, along with the resurrection of his wife and son. However, the Elder Gods resurrected them as undead beings. Enraged, Scorpion sought to destroy the Elder Gods' chance of preventing Armageddon by taking Blaze's power that was meant for Taven or Daegon, but Taven defeated him.

Characterization: Now Scorpion is a hell-spawned spectre, inexorably seeking vengeance against those responsible for the destruction of his clan and the death of his own family. Despite his malevolent appearance, he is not inherently evil. He joined the forces of evil when promised a means of resurrecting his clan on Earth, or the chance to inflict his wrath against those who butchered them. Scorpion has also (indirectly) assisted other heroes to fulfill these motives.

Friends and Foes: Although essentially neutral in allegiance, Scorpion will ally with anyone who can assist his plans of revenge. He was once manipulated by Quan Chi, whom he promised his life in exchange for his impressive combat abilities in order to defeat Sub-Zero.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:57 am, edited 14 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Snake-Eyes: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Geez, all these builds so far and no cure! I'm still a NINJAHOLIC! So let's add some more! Check out this new item for our G.I. Joe line!

How can you post a quote for someone who doesn't talk? Geez, give me SOMETHING, Snake...

SNAKE-EYES
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 5; DPL: 10; FWPL: 8; HP: 1
Height: 5-11
Weight: 173
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Skin: Fair
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Washington, DC, USA
Team Affiliations: G.I. Joe; Arashikage clan

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 5, FIGHTING 14, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics 9 (+15) [Agile Feint], Athletics 10 (+13), Deception (+0), Expertise [Military] 8 (+10), Expertise [Ninja] 8 (+10), Insight 8 (+12) [Assessment, Combat Clarity], Intimidation 7 (+7), Investigation 6 (+8), Perception 11 (+15), Sleight of Hand 6 (+11), Stealth 10 (+16) [Accelerated Stealth, Hide in Plain Sight, Skill Mastery], Treatment 3 (+5), Vehicles 6 (+11)

ADVANTAGES: Accelerated Stealth*, Agile Feint, Assessment, Combat Clarity*, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (6), Evasion (1), Favored Foe (Ninjas), Grabbing Finesse, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (2) (Long Blades, Firearms), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative (1), Languages (1) (Japanese, Sign Language, Base: English), Lionheart*, Move-by Action, Power Attack (2) (Katana, Machine Pistol), Precise Attack (2) (Close, Cover; Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (8), Redirect, Skill Mastery (1) (Stealth), Takedown (2), Tracking, Trance, Uncanny Dodge

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
(30 pts)
Light Body Armor: Protection 1; 1 pt
Flash Goggles: Feature 1 (+5 Visual Dazzle Resistance); 1 pt
Climber's Kit: Feature 1 (+2 Athletic Checks to Climb); 1 pt
Binoculars: Feature 1 (+5 Perception [Visual at Distance]); 1 pt
Katana: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Dangerous; 4 pts
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Dangerous; 2 pts
Arsenal: (18 pts)
Fragmentation Grenades: Ranged Burst Area Ballistic Damage 5, Extra: Burst Area (30 ft radius); 15 pts
SMG: Ranged Multiattack Ballistic Damage 4; 1 pt
Sleep Gas Grenade Ranged Cloud Area Affliction 4 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Fatigued, 2nd: Exhausted, 3rd: Asleep, Extra: Cloud Area [15 ft radius]); 1 pt
Shuriken: Ranged Multiattack Piercing Damage 1; 1 pt

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attack +14 [Unarmed +3; Katanas +6, Critical 18-20; Knife +4, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +13 [Shuriken +1, Multiattack; Machine Pistol +4, Critical 19-20, Multiattack
Special Attack [Frag Grenades +5, Burst Area; Sleep Grenade Affliction +4, Burst Area ]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +14 [DC24] Parry +14 [DC24]
Toughness +6 (+4 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +8 (+10 against Fear effects)

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: COBRA, Storm Shadow (sometimes).
Honor: He has taken a vow of silence due to events in his past.
Identity: His real identity is generally unknown and he keeps his face covered due to disfigurement.
Relationships: Scarlett.
Responsibility: To the G.I. Joe Team and To the G.I. Joe Team and most of the time the Arishikage clan.
Rivalry: Storm Shadow.

Abilities 74 + Skills 46 (92 ranks) + Advantages 46 + Powers 0 + Defenses 16 = 182 / 182

Build Comments: Is he THE baddest ninja in the Thorpacoverse? Maybe we’ll find out, but I had put Snake-Eyes in the running. When I originally posted my PL9 PC version long ago, I recall the outrage at his low PL so I bumped him up to 10. After watching the new series and also some of the old series on The Hub and forcing myself to watch some of the live action movie, it became apparent that he is the baddest man in that series bar none. So looking at a combined universe, I had to do the Thorpacoverse ninja pyramid and he comes in pretty close to the top, not counting Batman/Deathstroke types. Batman would take him, but I think he’s a little better than Dick and Elektra, who would have a hard time with Storm Shadow (coming at PL9.5-ish), who would most likely beat Leonardo who I have at PL9.

Let the debate begin…

Secret Origins: In his youth, Snake Eyes, along with Storm Shadow, was trained by the Arashikage Clan. A homeless Caucasian child, he entered the clan's home seeking food, only to be caught by a young Storm Shadow who intended to "punish" the stranger for stealing. They both fought around the kitchen with Snake showing remarkable skill at such a young age being able to hold his own against the well-trained Storm Shadow. Their fight was eventually stopped by the clan Master who was impressed with Snake's skill, and despite Storm's protests, allowed the youngster into the clan. While Storm Shadow proceeded to claim Snake to be weak, the Master cheerfully corrected him, saying: "He didn't fight like a weakling." then asked the initiate what he wanted to be known as, thus the origin of his current moniker.

Snake trained with the clan with Storm Shadow as his sparring partner. Storm constantly beat him brutally in their training, much to the Master's disapproval. Eventually, Snake was able to beat Storm in a training session; something that pleased him and the Master profoundly. This was not to last though. Though it was never shown, it appeared that Storm Shadow, angered by the Master favoring an outsider over a true Clan member, attacked the old man and ran him through the back with his sword before fleeing the temple. This act had a profound effect on Snake who considering the Master the closest thing he had to a father. He took a vow of silence and to this day has never spoken a word to anyone, friend or foe alike.

The Story so Far: It is unclear exactly when Snake-Eyes joined the US army but he quickly climbed the ranks and was selected for the elite G.I. Joe team. He has been one of their top operatives ever since and has had many run-in with COBRA and his old rival, Storm Shadow.

Characterization: Due to the fact that Snake-Eyes never speaks, he is very mysterious. However he is clearly a man who kept his promises and after his Master was killed he took a Vow of Silence and communicates through hand gestures instead of words.

Friends and Foes: He and Storm Shadow have a long and complicated relationship. Snake-Eyes has a fierce rivalry with Storm Shadow which went all the way back to their childhood. Interestingly, Shadow once called Snake-Eyes "brother" despite the fact that they are not related. It's possible that the members of their Clan called each other brother though this is unconfirmed. At times they are the most bitter of enemies and at other times they are like brothers. Regardless, Storm Shadow is the closest thing Snake-Eyes to a true rival in ninja ability. Snake loved the Master of the Arashikage Clan like a father and when he was killed the young ninja was devastated. Apparently he hadn't spoken a single word since that day.

He has been close to his G.I. Joe teammates but is closest with Scarlett. Their relationship has drifted into romantic territory from time to time but currently they are very close friends. He has mentored a few acolytes and is currently working closely with Jinx.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Re: 179 - Black Panther

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Slight diversion while I was working on ninjas to remodel T'Challa since I got inspired by that SWEET ASS TEASER TRAILER FOR THE NEW MOVIE HOLY SH*T WAS THAT AWESOME, I CANNOT WAIT, I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR LIKE 40 YEARS AND RYAN COOGLER LOOKS LIKE HE'S GONNA DELIVER AND I HAVE A MAN CRUSH ON CHADWICK BOSEMAN AND THEY EVEN MADE FRICKIN' M'BATU LOOK BADASS, DID I MENTION CAN'T F'N WAIT FOR FEBRUARY?!?!?!?

Sorry... :oops:
Thorpocalypse wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:57 am We've got a BLACK LIGHT SPECIAL hitting the Aisle 2 shelves!

I know that look. You're wondering... What am I waiting for? Namor's biology and genetics make him incredibly resistant to damage, but even he doesn't have the ability to simply shrug off what we--and the resulting fall from this platform--did to him. It will take a second for him to fully regain his wits... And I want him completely aware of what is about to happen to him. So we will spare him a few minutes. Because I want him to know--really know--it's over. To fully realize there's no forgiveness for what he's done. That there is a price and he's finally going to pay it--that there's no mercy for men like him, and even if there was, he doesn't get any. I want him to know this is how it ends. And more than that... I want him to know... It was me. - Black Panther

BLACK PANTHER (T'CHALLA)
PL11

OPL: 11; DPL: 11; HP: 1
Height: 6-0
Weight: 200
Eyes: Brown
Identity: Public
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Birnin Zana, Wakanda, Africa
Team Affiliations: Avengers; Justice League International; Stormwatch; JLAXI

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 5, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 5, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 9, AWARENESS 5, PRESENCE 6

SKILLS: Acrobatics 9 (+15) [Accelerated Acrobatics, Agile Feint], Athletics 10 (+15), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+17), Deception (+6), Expertise [Magic] 2 (+11), Expertise [Science] 9 (+18), Expertise [Theology and Philosophy] 2 (+11), Insight 8 (+13) [Assessment], Intimidation (+6), Investigation 4 (+13) [Well-Informed], Perception 13 (+18), Persuasion 7 (+13) [Connected], Ranged Combat [Throwing] 4 (+13), Sleight of Hand (+5), Stealth 9 (+15) [Accelerated Stealth, Hide in Plain Sight], Technology 9 (+18) [Inventor], Treatment (+9), Vehicles 2 (+9)

ADVANTAGES: Accelerated Acrobatics*, Accelerated Stealth*, Agile Feint, Assessment, Benefit (8) (Status, Wealth, Resources 8 – King of Wakanda), Close Attack (2), Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Equipment (1), Evasion (1), Extraordinary Effort, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trip, Inventor, Languages (3) (Japanese, English, French, 7 others, Base: Swahili), Leadership, Move-by Action, Power Attack (2) (Claws, Unarmed), Ranged Attack (4), Redirect, Takedown (1), Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

POWERS:
Sacred Panther Herb Enhancements: Enhanced Advantages 5 (Accelerated Acrobatics*, Accelerated Stealth*, Diehard, Evasion, Improved Defense), Speed 2 (8 mph/120 fpr), Leaping 1 (15 ft), Immunity 2 (Disease, Poisons [Limited]), Senses 5 (Low Light Vision, Normal Hearing [Extended], Scent [Extended, Accurate, Tracking]), Regeneration 1 (1/every 9 rounds); 16 pts
Black Panther Costume: 33 pt Traits, Removable (-7 pts); 26 pts
Black Panther Mask: Feature 1 (A.I.), Senses 3 (Darkvision, Infravision); 4 pts
Vibranium Mesh Armor: Protection 2, Impervious Toughness 5 (Flaw: Limited to physical damage), Immunity 10 (Ballistic Damage; Flaw: Limited to half effect); 12 pts
Vibranium Boots: Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling [-1 speed rank]), Concealment 1 (Auditory); 4 pts
Weapon Array: 12 pt Array; 13 pts
Vibranium Throwing Knives: Piercing Ranged Multiattack Damage 4; 12 pts
Panther Claws: Slashing Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Dangerous, Split); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(5 pts)
Kimoyo Card: Senses 2 (Communication Link 2, Radio), GPS, Feature 1 (Wakandan Database); 4 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attack +15 [Claws +7, Critical 19-20]
Unarmed +17 [Unarmed +5]
Ranged Attack +9
Throwing +13 [Vibranium Throwing Knives +4]

DEFENSES:
Toughness +9 (+8 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Klaw, Erik Killmonger.
Honor: The Black Panther is held to a strict code of honor.
Relationships: His royal family, including his mother and his sister, Shuri. Despite their estrangement, he still has feeling for his wife, Storm.
Responsibility: To rule Wakanda.
Rivalry: Man-Ape and Namor.

Abilities 108 + Skills 45 (90 ranks) + Advantages 38 + Powers 42 + Defenses 13 = 246 / 246

Build Comments: The last version of T’Challa I did was based on his King of the Dead persona. But after Civil War, I decided to take him back to his roots as the King of Wakanda and a just below Cap level overall bad ass. I believe Marvel decided the same thing.

Secret Origins: The Black Panther is the ceremonial title given to the chief of the Panther Tribe of the advanced African nation of Wakanda. In addition to ruling the country, he is also chief of its various tribes. The Panther habit is a symbol of office (head of state) and is used even during diplomatic missions. The Panther is a hereditary title, but one still must earn it.

In the distant past, a meteorite made of the (fictional) vibration-absorbing mineral vibranium crashed in Wakanda, and was unearthed. Reasoning that outsiders would exploit Wakanda for this valuable resource, the ruler at the time, King T'Chaka, like his father and other Panthers before him, concealed his country from the outside world. T'Chaka's first wife, T'Challa's birth mother N'Yami, died while in labor with T'Challa, so T'Challa would be raised by his father and his father's second wife Ramonda, at least until T'Chaka was murdered by the adventurer Ulysses Klaw.

With his people still in danger, a young T'Challa used Klaw's sound weapon on him, gravely injuring him and forcing him to flee. Around the same time, his stepmother Ramonda visited her old home in South Africa. While on this trip she was kidnapped and taken prisoner by Anton Pretorius. T'Challa would not learn of this until years later.

T'Challa was next in line to be the king of Wakanda and Black Panther, but until he was ready to become the leader of the nation, his uncle S'yan, T'Chaka's younger brother, successfully passed the trials to become the Black Panther. While on his Wakandan walkabout rite of passage, T'Challa met and fell in love with apparent orphaned teen Ororo Munroe, who would grow up to become the X-Men member Storm. The two broke off their relationship due to his desire to avenge his father's death and to become the type of man who could suitably lead Wakanda, but they would see each other over the years when they could.

The Story so Far: T'Challa earned the title and attributes of the Black Panther by defeating the various champions of the Wakandan tribes. One of his first acts was to disband and exile the Hatut Zeraze—the Wakandan secret police—and its leader, his adopted brother Hunter the White Wolf. Later, to keep peace, he picked Dora Milaje ("adored ones") from rival tribes to serve as his personal guard and ceremonial wives-in-training. He then studied abroad for a time before returning to his kingship. T'Challa next invited the American superhero team the Fantastic Four to Wakanda, then attacked and neutralized them individually in order to prove himself worthy as his people's defender and to test the team to see if it could be an effective ally against Klaw, who had become a supervillain made of living sound. After the ruler made proper amends to the superhero team, the four befriended and helped T'Challa, and he in turn aided the heroes against the supervillain the Psycho-Man. He and Reed Richards have had a long and mutually beneficial friendship ever since.

T'Challa later joined the Avengers, beginning a long association with that superhero team. He first battled the Man-Ape while with the group, and then met the American singer Monica Lynne, with whom he became romantically involved. He helped the Avengers defeat the second Sons of the Serpent, and then revealed his true identity on American television. He encountered Daredevil, and revealed to him that he had deduced Daredevil's secret identity.

The Panther eventually left his active Avengers membership to return to a Wakanda on the brink of Civil War, bringing Lynne with him. After defeating would-be usurper Erik Killmonger and his minions, he began to search for his mother and eventually found her. T'Challa eventually proposed and became engaged to Monica Lynne, though the couple never married.

Years later, after suffering a brain aneurysm, his mental state almost causes tribal warfare so the Panther handed power to his council and hides in New York City. There he mentored police officer Kasper Cole, who had adopted an abandoned Panther costume, an experience that gives T'Challa the strength to face his illness, reclaim his position, and return to active membership in the Avengers, whom he helped secure special United Nations status.

T'Challa then helped Storm reunite with her surviving family members in Africa and the U.S. He proposed shortly afterwards and the two were married in a large Wakandan ceremony attended by many superheroes. However, he failed to reunite both Captain America and Iron Man because of their opposing views on the Superhuman Registration Act.

One of the couple's first tasks was to embark on a diplomatic tour, in which they visited the Inhumans, Doctor Doom, the President of the United States, and Aquaman, with only that last ending well. After the death of Bill Foster, the Black Panther and Storm sided with Captain America's anti-registration forces. During the end battle between both sides, the Wakandan embassy in Manhattan is heavily damaged, though no Wakandans were hurt. After the confrontation, the Panther and Storm briefly filled in for vacationing Fantastic Four members Reed and Sue Richards before returning to Wakanda.

T'Challa served as one of the pallbearers at the memorial service for Captain America, along with Tony Stark, Ms. Marvel, Jennifer Sparks, Superman and Sam Wilson.

Upon returning to Wakanda alone, leaving Storm in New York to aid the X-Men, Black Panther aided Wakanda in fending off the alien shapeshifters the Skrulls, who had infiltrated as part of their "Secret Invasion" plan to conquer Earth. Afterwards, Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner, attempted to recruit T'Challa for the Cabal, a secret council of supervillains. Attacked by the forces of fellow Cabal member Doctor Doom after his refusal, T'Challa was left comatose. His sister Shuri is trained as the next Panther, with the mantle passing onto her officially after T'Challa awakened from his coma and attempts to recover from his injuries.

He helped defeat Anubis and now ruled over Necropolis while Shuri remained in power in Wakanda.

Characterization: T’Challa is one of the most respected members of the superhero community and because of his long-time rulership of Wakanda, he is a well-known international figure as well. He can be curt, but is well schooled in the art of diplomacy. He is one of the most intelligent men on the planet, skilled in a multitude of disciplines and is one of the most dangerous combatants on the planet.

Friends and Foes: He remains close to his sister and mother and even though they are estranged at the moment, he continues to harbor feelings for Storm. His most frequent foes are Man-Ape and Erik Killmonger, but he considers Klaw to be his greatest enemy because he caused the death of his father.
Davies

Re: J-Mart: The Art of Ninja - Sub-Zero, Scorpion

Post by Davies »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:14 pm How can you post a quote for someone who doesn't talk? Geez, give me SOMETHING, Snake...
He can, however, write, and writes a lengthy letter in G.I. Joe #155, from which this is taken.
Snake-Eyes wrote:There is no honor or glory in the primary occupation of the soldier. There are only 'long stretches of interminable boredom punctuated by brief flurries of pure terror'. There is no winning."
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Davies wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:38 pm He can, however, write, and writes a lengthy letter in G.I. Joe #155, from which this is taken.
Snake-Eyes wrote:There is no honor or glory in the primary occupation of the soldier. There are only 'long stretches of interminable boredom punctuated by brief flurries of pure terror'. There is no winning."
Davies, this is 2017. We don't "read letters" anymore. That's so...analog. ;)

That reminds me of this great joke from Greg Giraldo about writing today versus writing in older times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTRqi99vg28
Jabroniville

Re: J-Mart: The Art of Ninja - Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Snake-Eyes

Post by Jabroniville »

Great stuff, Thorp! I always dug Scorpion, and found if annoying how he'd suddenly fight for the bad guys. Black Panther has had a major power increase over the decades, too- his his early self was was barely PL 9, and was irked by minor threats in the old days. now, he's easily PL 11.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Davies wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:38 pm
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:14 pm How can you post a quote for someone who doesn't talk? Geez, give me SOMETHING, Snake...
He can, however, write, and writes a lengthy letter in G.I. Joe #155, from which this is taken.
Think I prefer the one from his bio.

The Bad guys want him declared Illegal under the Geneva Convention.

that's how you know you've hit the heights of badassery. When the bad guys want you lumped into the same category as WMDs, Chemical Biological weapons, and Flamethrowers all of which have been outlawed as too uncivilized for modern warfare.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
StarGuard

Re: J-Mart: The Art of Ninja - Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Snake-Eyes

Post by StarGuard »

Right in line behind you for Black Panther . I've carefully not had expectations for any of the Marvel movies except Winter Soldier and been rewarded ea h time with good stuff, great stuff in Winter Soldier's case.

Black Panther must succeed and kick major butt. Diversity yeah, "Always forward", but it's the character of T'challa I love. Much like I was cool with Commander Rogers because it was still Steve driving the story, Throw all the vibranium do dads out the window (please) it's the noble prince of Wakanda I'm all in for seeing portrayed properly :D
Thorpocalypse

240 - Storm Shadow

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We're still NINJAHOLICS here at J-Mart! Check out this companion piece to our last new item as it hits the Aisle 4 shelves!

When our master was killed, you took a vow of silence. Now you will die without a word. - Storm Shadow

STORM SHADOW
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL; 5; DPL: 10; FWPL: 6; HP: 1
Height: 5-10
Weight: 170
Skin: Olive
Alignment: Neutral
Base of Operations: Mobile
Team Affiliations: Arashikage Clan; COBRA; G.I, Joe

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 5, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 9 (+15) [Agile Feint], Athletics 9 (+12), Deception 6 (+7), Expertise [Military] 6 (+7), Expertise [Ninja] 8 (+9), Insight 6 (+10) [Assessment], Intimidation 5 (+6), Investigation 6 (+7), Perception 7 (+10), Persuasion (+1), Ranged Combat [Bow] 1 (+13), Sleight of Hand 5 (+10), Stealth 9 (+15) [Accelerated Stealth, Hide in Plain Sight, Skill Mastery], Treatment 4 (+5), Vehicles 4 (+9)

ADVANTAGES: Accelerated Stealth*, Agile Feint, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (6), Evasion (1), Favored Foe (Snake-Eyes), Grabbing Finesse, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (2) (Long Blades, Bow), Improved Initiative (1), Languages (1) (English, Mandarin, Base: Japanese), Move-by Action, Power Attack (3) (Bow, Katana, Unarmed), Precise Attack (1) (Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (7), Redirect, Skill Mastery (1) (Stealth), Takedown (2), Tracking, Trance, Uncanny Dodge

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
(30 pts)
Light Body Armor: Protection 1; 1 pt
Mini-Tracer: Feature 1 (Tracking, 2 Mile range); 1 pt
Climber's Kit: Feature 1 (+2 Athletic Checks to Climb); 1 pt
Binoculars: Feature 1 (+5 Perception [Visual at Distance]); 1 pt
Katana: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Dangerous; 4 pts
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Dangerous; 2 pts
Arsenal: (19 pts)
Fragmentation Grenades: Ranged Burst Area Ballistic Damage 5, Extra: Burst Area (30 ft radius); 15 pts
Composite Longbow: Piercing Ranged Damage 4; 1 pt
Sleep Gas Grenade Cloud Area Affliction 4 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Fatigued, 2nd: Exhausted, 3rd: Asleep, Extra: Cloud Area [15 ft radius]); 1 pt
Shuriken: Piercing Ranged Multiattack Damage 1; 1 pt
Garotte: Grabbing 0, Chokehold; 1 pt

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attack +13 [Unarmed +3; Katana +6, Critical 19-20; Knife +4, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +12 [Shuriken +1, Multiattack]
Bow +13 [Bow +4, Critical 19-20]
Special Attack [Frag Grenades +5, Burst Area; Sleep Gas Affliction +4, Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Toughness +6 (+4 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Conflicted: Storm Shadow is constantly at war with his inner demons. At times he has put away his anger and worked for the greater good, other times he acts a prisoner of the decisions of his past and other times he gives into his baser, violent, instincts
Enemy: G.I. Joe (sometimes), COBRA (sometimes), Snake-Eyes (sometimes)
Rivalry: Snake-Eyes

Abilities 70 + Skills 43 (86 ranks) + Advantages 40 + Powers 0 + Defenses 12 = 165 / 165

Build Comments: As noted in the Snake-Eyes posting, Storm Shadow has been shown to be just a tad less bad-ass than the silent one, so he gets a PL10, really more PL9.5, noting that he is close to a peak human combatant, but not as good as Snake-Eyes generally. It doesn’t take much to push a fight in his favor, though, and most fights with them should be a toss-up.

Secret Origins: Storm Shadow, born Thomas Arishikage, was Hard Master's nephew and student who first met Snake-Eyes, who he thought was a thief, and fought with him. Hard Master was impressed by Snake-Eyes' skills and became his favorite student. This caused Storm to be jealous and he escaped from the dojo. Snake-Eyes discovered that Hard Master was murdered, with Storm Shadow being the main suspect.

The Story so Far: Storm Shadow wandered the world for years, becoming a feared assassin who eventually caught the attention of COBRA and he became one of their top operatives. This brought him into conflict with his long-time rival Snake-Eyes and the two have had many battles over the years. However, there have been times when Storm Shadow has renounced his criminal ways and assisted his “brother” when the need arises.

He is currently estranged from both COBRA and Snake-Eyes and is pursuing his own path.

Characterization: Storm Shadow is an aggressive and ruthless man who was capable of committing murder without a second thought. In his youth he was jealous of Snake-Eyes, because the other boy was their Clan Master’s favorite . Though it has not been confirmed, it's possible that Shadow was responsible for the murder of the Clan Master. Storm Shadow believes that fear is a good way of keeping people in line and holds no qualms about killing innocent people.

Storm Shadow is also very confident in his abilities and believes that he is capable of killing Snake-Eyes, though the other ninja eventually emerges victorious during most of their battles. His fighting style is more aggressive than Snake-Eyes' style, which suits his aggressive personality.

Friends and Foes: He and Snake-Eyes have a long and complicated relationship. They have a fierce rivalry which went all the way back to their childhood. Interestingly, Shadow once called Snake-Eyes "brother" despite the fact that they are not related. It's possible that the members of their Clan called each other brother though this is unconfirmed. At times they are the most bitter of enemies and at other times they are like brothers. Regardless, Storm Shadow is the closest thing Snake-Eyes to a true rival in ninja ability.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

The Shredder and The Foot: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Not cured yet, I'm still a NINJAHOLIC! So we're dropping one of our all-time best sellers at J-Mart with this new item for Aisle 4!

Now, let us make ourselves easier to find. The time has come... to RISE! - The Shredder

THE SHREDDER
PL11

OPL: 11; SPL: 3; DPL: 11; FWPL: 8; HP: 1
Height: 6-0
Weight: 200
B[]Skin:[/b] Olive
Alignment: Villain
Base of Operations: Bludhaven, NJ, USA
Team Affiliations: The Foot Clan

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Acrobatics 4 (+9), Athletics 9 (+12), Deception 10 (+14), Expertise [Criminal] 8 (+11), Expertise [Magic] 2 (+5) [Ritualist], Insight 7 (+11) [Assessment], Intimidation 9 (+13) [Startle], Investigation 6 (+9) [Well-Informed], Perception 8 (+12), Persuasion 5 (+9), Stealth 8 (+13) [Accelerated Stealth, Hide in Plain Sight]

ADVANTAGES: Accelerated Stealth*, All-Out Attack (2) (Arm Blade, Unarmed), Assessment, Benefit (4) (Status, Wealth, Resources 4 – Leader of The Foot Clan), Close Attack (3), Deep Ties (1) (Enemy), Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (1), Favored Foe (Ninjas), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (2) (Arm Blades, Unarmed), Improved Initiative (1), Inspire (1), Languages (1) (English, Mandarin, Base: Japanese), Leadership, Power Attack (2) (Arm Blade, Unarmed), Ranged Attack (2), Ritualist, Startle, Takedown (1), Well-Informed

POWERS:
Shredder Armor: 14 pts traits, Removable (-3 pts); 11 pts
Body Armor: Protection 3; 3 pts
Armor Spikes: Reaction Slashing Damage 2 (Extra: Reaction [to grabbing/being grabbed], Flaw: Grab-based); 6 pts
Wrist Blades: Piercing Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Dangerous, Disarming, Split); 5 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(5 pts)
Arsenal: (5 pts)
Halberd: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 3, Dangerous, Reach [5 ft.]; 5 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Close Attack +16 [Unarmed +3, Critical 19-20; Arm Blades +5, Critical 18-20; Halberd +6, Critical 19-20; Armor Spikes +2, Reaction]
Ranged Attack +10

DEFENSES:
Toughness +9 (+7 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Splinter, the TMNT.
Motivation: He is determined to be the most powerful Ninja lord in the world.
Obsession: Destroying Splinter the Turtles.

Abilities 78 + Skills 38 (76 ranks) + Advantages 36 + Powers 11 + Defenses 16 = 179 / 179

Build Comments: Before I get to the brothers, I wanted to take a run at Shredder first. I feel reworking for him coming up since I felt like I overdid some stuff, but I am still trying to find that line between the my old builds and how I’d like to do things in the new Thorpocaverse. He feels a bit too strong to me skill wise and advantage-wise, but then again, he is the @$%@* Shredder.

Secret Origins: Oroku Saki was a high-ranking member of the Foot Clan in feudal Japan. He orders that in addition to assassinating the lord they were hired to kill, they should wipe out anybody else they come across. Hamato Yoshi, another Foot Clan member, refused, and Saki marks him for death. The Foot killed Yoshi's wife, Tang Shen, but Yoshi fled with his and Shen's four sons. Some years later, Saki and the Foot found Yoshi and his children, and slew them all.

The Story so Far: Saki, through mystic means, lived for hundreds of years more, ruling The Foot Clan with an iron fist. Eventually, though, he ended up being ousted by new high ranking members of the clan and put to death. His granddaughter, Karai, had him resurrected and with several loyal followers, including his lieutenant Tatsu, they came to America. After recruiting and training several more new members, Saki forged a suit of armor and changed his name to The Shredder and set about taking over the New York underworld.

But an old foe awaited him. Yoshi and his sons were reincarnated as a rat and four turtles in a research laboratory called Stockgen owned by Baxter Stockman, a scientist who had secretly allied himself with General Krang. Members of the Foot Clan broke into the facility to steal some mutagen. The animals are taken by mistake and after dropped into a sewer with the mutagen they are covered with it and transformed into enlightened, humanoid beings.

Yoshi, now called Splinter remembers his past life and begins to train the turtles in the art of ninjutsu in preparation for their destiny: battle with Oroku Saki. And drawn by cosmic forces none can truly comprehend, their battle was rejoined and has continued for years.

After losing much of his power in New York due to a gang war with The Kingpin, he relocated to Bludhaven after learning of the power vacuum there with the demise of Blockbuster. The Turtles and Splinter have followed him there to continue their battle.

Characterization: Ambitious, charismatic and single-minded, The Shredder is a force to be reckoned with.

Friends and Foes: He is solely focused on his goals of killing Splinter and the Turtles and ruling Bludhaven (originally New York) so he doesn’t have many close associates. He does have some relationship with Karai and Tatsu, but he makes it clear they are his subordinates, not his peers.

And of course, where would he be without his loyal minions?

FOOT NINJA
PL3

OPL: 3; DPL: 3; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 1, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 3, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+5), Athletics 4 (+5), Expertise [Ninja] 3 (+3), Insight (+1), Intimidation 3 (+3), Perception 2 (+3), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 1 (+3), Stealth 4 (+6/+8)

ADVANTAGES: Equipment (2), Improved Initiative (1)

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
Ninja Garb: Feature 1 (+2 Stealth in Chosen Environment [Night]); 1 pt
Climbing Claws: Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling, Flaw: Limited to surfaces where claws can get purchase); 1 pt
Smoke Bomb: Enhanced Advantage 1 (Hide in Plain Sight); 1 pts
Shuriken: Ranged Multiattack Piercing Damage 1; 3 pts
Ninjato: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 2, Dangerous, Feature 1 (Multi-Purpose Tool); 4 pts
OR
Nunchakus: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 2, Disarming, Impressive; 4 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +3 [Unarmed +1; Ninjato +3, Critical 19-20 OR Nunchakus +3]
Ranged Attack +2
Throwing +3 [Shuriken +1, Multiattack]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +4 [DC14] Parry +4 [DC14]
Toughness +2 (+2 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +2, Will +1

COMPLICATIONS:
Responsibility: To Foot Clan and The Shredder

Abilities 22 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Advantages 3 + Powers 0 + Defenses 3 = 38 / 38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE FOOT MASS COMBAT:

CORPS (20,000-50,000): ATTACK 16, DAMAGE 17, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 14, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
DIVISION (9,000-15,000): ATTACK 15, DAMAGE 16, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 13, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
BRIGADE (6,000-8,000): ATTACK 14, DAMAGE 15, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 12, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
REGIMENT 1 (3,000-4,000): ATTACK 13, DAMAGE 14, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 11, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
REGIMENT 2 (1,250-2,750): ATTACK 12, DAMAGE 13, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 10, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
BATALLION 1 (500-1,000): ATTACK 11, DAMAGE 12, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 9, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
BATALLION 2 (150-450): ATTACK 10, DAMAGE 11, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 8, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
COMPANY 1 (140): ATTACK 9, DAMAGE 10, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 7, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
COMPANY 2 (55-125): ATTACK 8, DAMAGE 9, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 6, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
PLATOON 1 (30-50): ATTACK 7, DAMAGE 8, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 5, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
PLATOON 2 (15-40): ATTACK 6, DAMAGE 7, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 4, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
SQUAD (8-10): ATTACK 5, DAMAGE 6, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 3, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
SQUAD (4-6): ATTACK 4, DAMAGE 5, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 2, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1
BASE (2-3): ATTACK 2, DAMAGE 3, DEFENSE 2, TOUGHNESS 0, INITIATIVE 1, MORALE -1

Build Comments: The Foot clan.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Re: J-Mart: The Art of Ninja - Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, Shredder

Post by Thorpocalypse »

On a "huh" note, I just realized all the ninjas I've poster so far have all started with S. Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, Shredder...

Maybe I should have called this run DIAL "S" for NINJA. ;)
Davies

Re: J-Mart: The Art of Ninja - Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, Shredder

Post by Davies »

So add Jinx and the cast of Naruto. Wait, no, that adds Sasuke ... never mind.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."