J-Mart OG: Closed for a new location!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
L-Space

Re: 253 - The Wasp (Nadia Pym)

Post by L-Space »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:41 am The Story so Far: After her escape, Nadia immediately made her way to the front door of Hank Pym's home in Cresskill, New Jersey, where she discovered that Hank had seemingly sacrificed his life to stop Ultron shortly beforehand. Crushed that her father passed before she could even meet him, Nadia decided to shrink down and break into his lab in order to learn as much about him as she could. Using old Ant-Man suit pieces and materials laying around, she crafted a new costume and decided to become the new Wasp, vowing to earn the admiration of her father's allies.
So I haven't kept up with Marvel recently, so when I read this part of me just assumed you had finally killed Hank Pym off because you didn't want him in your shared universe :lol:.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ares
Site Admin

Re: J-Mart: Cosmic Hulk, The Kingpin, Chemo, The Winsome Wasp! The Unstoppable Wasp!

Post by Ares »

If she was trying to honor her father's legacy, why go by "The Wasp" instead of "Ant Girl"? From what I've seen, Jan is still alive and now we have 2 Wasps flying about.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Thorpocalypse

Re: 253 - The Wasp (Nadia Pym)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

L-Space wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:40 pm
Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:41 am The Story so Far: After her escape, Nadia immediately made her way to the front door of Hank Pym's home in Cresskill, New Jersey, where she discovered that Hank had seemingly sacrificed his life to stop Ultron shortly beforehand. Crushed that her father passed before she could even meet him, Nadia decided to shrink down and break into his lab in order to learn as much about him as she could. Using old Ant-Man suit pieces and materials laying around, she crafted a new costume and decided to become the new Wasp, vowing to earn the admiration of her father's allies.
So I haven't kept up with Marvel recently, so when I read this part of me just assumed you had finally killed Hank Pym off because you didn't want him in your shared universe :lol:.
As much as I would love to do so, he's too much fun to pick on to actually get rid of. ;)

Actually, oddly enough, in order to stop Ultron this last time, he merged with him so now there's an unholy abomination of Ultron Pym roaming around the Marvel U. Pym is currently in control but we know that won't last. He did have a fun cameo in Secret Empire #4, though, so at least they're using him a little better than they did when he was just Pym.

Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Re: J-Mart: Cosmic Hulk, The Kingpin, Chemo, The Winsome Wasp! The Unstoppable Wasp!

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:50 pm If she was trying to honor her father's legacy, why go by "The Wasp" instead of "Ant Girl"? From what I've seen, Jan is still alive and now we have 2 Wasps flying about.
Maybe even Nadia knows that Wasp was cooler than Ant-Man.

I wouldn't mind the character, but they do way too much of the "You have SO MUCH POTENTIAL!" thing in Avengers, which I find to be pretty clumsy writing- characters don't really need to be shilling other characters (especially when it's guys like Doctor Doom doing it). Also, I find her constant badgering of Spider-Man a trifle worrisome- while it's funny to see Peter embarrassed sometimes, someone else needs to step in and remind her that Pete is FIFTY times the hero some rookie is. Also, the fact that it's so one-sided gives me horrifying memories of Danny Chase in Wolfman's Teen Titans- ripping on Gar Logan constantly.
Thorpocalypse

Ant-Man (Scott Lang): Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Check out this new item for Aisle 2!

Scott Lang: My days of breaking into places and stealing sh*t are over! What do you need me to do?
Hank Pym: ...I want you to break into a place and steal some sh*t.
Scott Lang: ...makes sense.

ANT-MAN (SCOTT LANG)
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 10; DPL: 10; FWPL: 10; HP: 1
Height: 5-11
Weight: 185
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Brown
Skin: Fair
Race: Human
Identity: Public
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: New York, NY, USA
Team Affiliations: Avengers; JLAXI

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2 [12], STAMINA 2 [10], AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 4, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+7), Athletics 6 (+8/+18), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+10/+14/+8), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise [Criminal] 6 (+10), Expertise [Electrician] 9 (+13), Insight (+2), Intimidation (+2/-8/+10), Perception 5 (+7), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 4 (+8), Stealth 6 (+10/+20/-6), Technology 6 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: Defensive Strike*, Hide Tampering*, Improved Critical (1) (Unarmed), Improvised Tools, Leadership, Move-by Action, Takedown (1), Teamwork,

POWERS:
Ant-Man Suit: 65 pts Traits, Removable (-13 pts); 52 pts
Pym Particles: 60 pt Array; 61 pts
Ant-Man Size: Shrinking 20 (-5 Str, +10 Dodge/Parry, +20 Stealth, -10 Intimidation, Speed -5 [500 fpr/6 ipr], -5 Mass; Extra: Normal Strength, Attack [Resisted by Will], Quirk: Limited to +10 ranks of Stealth, +8 Dodge, +8 Parry), Movement 1 (Dimensional Movement [Earth/Microverse], Flaw: Limited [only at full shrinking ranks]); 60 pts
Gi-Ant Man Size: Growth 16 (+16 Str, +16 Sta, -8 Dodge/Parry, -16 Stealth, +8 Intimidation, Speed +2 [8 mph/120 fpr], +16 Mass, Reach 4 [20 ft]; Flaw: Limited to +10 Str, +8 Sta, Add Inaccurate to Close attacks); 1 pt
Body Armor: Protection 2; 2 pts
Like a Bullet: Enhanced Skills 2 (Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 ranks, Flaw: Limited to when at 16 ranks of Shrinking or below), Enhanced Advantages 2 (Defensive Strike*, Improved Critical [Unarmed], Flaw: Limited to when at 16 ranks of Shrinking or below); 2 pts

Ant Man Helmet: 21 pts Traits, Removable (-5 pts); 16 pts
Insect Communication: Comprehend 2 (Understand, Understood by Animals, Flaw: Limited [Insects]); 2 pts
Insect Control: 18 pt Array; 19 pts
Insect Control: Burst Area Cumulative Affliction 6 (Resisted by Will, 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Burst Area x2 [60 ft radius], Flaw: Limited [Insects]); 18 pts
Summon Swarm: Summon Swarm 4 (60 pt minion, [Ant Swarm], Extra: Controlled, Heroic, Mental Link, Flaw: Self Powered); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +4
Close Attack +6
Unarmed +10 [Unarmed +2]
Ant-Man Size Unarmed +14 [Unarmed +2, Critical 19-20]
Gi-Ant Man Size Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +12]
Ranged Attack +4
Throwing +8
Special Attack [Insect Control Affliction +6, Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 (+16 at Full Shrinking, +4 at Full Growth) [DC18/26/14] +8 (+16 at Full Shrinking, +4 at Full Growth) [DC18/26/14]
Toughness +4 (+12 at Full Growth), Fortitude +6 (+14 at Full Growth), Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Darren Cross.
Guilt: Scott often turned to crime when things got hard and he often feels bad about his acts, and the time it cost him with his daughter while in prison. That guilt drives him to be the hero he is.
Motivation: Doing the right thing to atone for his past life of crime, and helping others try to avoid the same fate.
Relationships: His greatest relationship is with his daughter, Cassie, who he loves more than anything. He has also become close with Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne.

Abilities 52 + Skills 29 (58 ranks) + Advantages 6 + Powers 68 + Defenses 14 = 169 / 169

Build Comments: Gotta admit, I was pleasantly surprised at the Ant-Man movie. I went in with pretty low expectations, with Edgar Wright’s departure and all. Marvel’s been rolling, but nothing, as the NFL has recently proved with their recent scandals, is invincible. I also knew from working for a big company, how too much meddling by the empty suits in day to day ops is usually a bad deal for quality.

But thanks to the low expectations, and the fact that it was not what I expected, was probably why I liked it so much. The biggest surprise was that my wife really liked it. I’ve had to drag her to most of the Marvel movies and she liked both Avengers movies OK, but she’s really liked GOTG and Ant-Man. Seeing as how she has absolutely no interest in any comic property whatsoever, that means they the demographics they wanted. Word of mouth from someone who had no idea of who Hank Pym or Scott Lang were seems to carry more clout amongst the masses. I’m not sure why...

Anyway, my build take on Scott is mostly movie based, although his Earth-217 background is closer to the comics, since I plan on getting to Cassie as a member of the Young Avengers eventually. I really hadn’t read much Scott Lang since his heyday occurred when I was out of comics, but since his return, I’ve become a fan. Allred’s FF with him leading an alternate FF while guarding the kids in the Future Foundation was fun as hell, shame the book didn’t last.

Secret Origins: Scott Lang was an electronics expert who could not support his family doing repair work, so he turned his talents to burglary. Apprehended, he served his prison sentence and was paroled for good behavior. During his time in prison, however, his wife divorced him. Lang had furthered his studies of electronics while in prison and was soon hired by Stark International to work in its design department.

The Story so Far: When his daughter Cassie was diagnosed as having a serious congenital heart condition, Lang sought the aid of surgeon Dr. Erica Sondheim, whom he believed to have been held prisoner at Cross Technological Enterprises (CTE). Desperate to help his daughter, Lang decided to resort to burglary. Breaking into the New Jersey home of Dr. Henry Pym, Lang stole his Ant-Man uniform and shrinking-gas canisters. Unknown to him, Pym observed the theft and in his guise as Yellowjacket, followed Lang, curious to see what use he would put the paraphernalia.

Garbed as Ant-Man, Lang broke into Cross and discovered Dr. Sondheim was held prisoner by Darren Cross, (later, the super-villain Crossfire) president of CTE, who needed Sondheim to correct his own heart condition. Rescuing Sondheim and defeating Cross, Lang was relieved when Sondheim was able to save the life of his daughter.

Lang intended to return the Ant-Man costume to its owner and turn himself in, but Henry Pym offered to let him keep them, provided Lang put them to lawful use. Since that time, Lang had donned the Ant-Man costume on various occasions to assist heroes such as Iron Man, the Avengers, or the law, although he considered himself a part-time crime fighter. Often trying to keep his identity secret from his daughter, Cassie, Lang was eventually relieved to know that she discovered his secret on her own.

When Stark International was bought out by Stane International, Lang resigned out of respect to Tony Stark, the company's former head (and secretly Iron Man.) Lang opened his own electronics business. Later, he temporarily gave up the business to be hired by the Fantastic Four when their scientist and leader Reed Richards was missing for an extended period. Lang and Cassie lived at the Four's headquarters during this time.

Lang continued to aid his superpowered colleagues as needed, including helping the Avengers against the threat of the villain Kang the Conqueror, who nearly succeeded in conquering the world. After overthrowing Kang's would-be regime, the Avengers offered Lang a place on the roster, and he agreed.

Lang's place with the Avengers was not without its personal struggles. He began dating private investigator Jessica Jones, but the relationship ended when she revealed that she was pregnant with Luke Cage's baby. Lang was brought into court for a custody battle with his ex-wife over the safety of his daughter Cassie when she visited the Avengers Mansion headquarters of the team. Lang also struggled with his new teammate Jack of Hearts, as the two often clashed over trifling matters. However, when Lang's daughter was randomly kidnapped by a madman, Jack of Hearts rescued Cassie at the risk of his own powers consuming him, which ultimately killed him.

Lang felt guilty that he had only begun to reconcile with his new friend. Later, Jack of Hearts somehow returned to the Mansion with a message of warning for the team. When Lang reached out to his friend, Jack of Hearts detonated himself, taking half of the Avengers Mansion and seemingly Scott Lang with him. This attack was later discovered to be motivated by the Scarlet Witch, whose mind had become unhinged due to the magical powers she constantly felt forced to control. Whether this was truly the corpse of Jack of Hearts or just a magical construct of the Scarlet Witch remains unclear.

A few years later, the Young Avengers traveled back in time with an amnesiac Scarlet Witch to the moments before Avengers Mansion was destroyed and escaped along with Lang, leaving the Avengers of that time to believe he had perished. This celebration is short lived however, after Lang witnesses the death of his daughter Stature in battle with Dr. Doom. Lang has since sworn vengeance on Doom.

When the original Fantastic Four planned a trip through time and space, they decided to call four replacements just in case something would happen. Mr. Fantastic's replacement as the leader of the Fantastic Four and the Future Foundation was Scott, and the four original members indeed got lost in their adventure. Upon the original team’s return, Scott joined the expanded roster of Avengers and assists the team when needed.

Characterization: He has advanced training and expertise in electronics, having earned an electronics technician certificate, plus additional advanced electronics training he received while in prison.

Friends and Foes: He dearly loved his daughter, Cassie, and has a vendetta against Doctor Doom to avenge her. He has many allies in the superhero community thanks to his time in the Avengers and FF, and is close Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne and most of the time, the other Ant Man, Erin O’Grady.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: J-Mart: The Winsome Wasp! The Unstoppable Wasp! Ant-Man

Post by Jabroniville »

Neat! That's one of the few Marvel movies I still haven't seen. I think I was having a period where I was suffering burnout from the "introduction/Origin Story/quickly-introduced villain/villain dies" thing, so I never got around to watching it.
Horsenhero

Re: J-Mart: The Winsome Wasp! The Unstoppable Wasp! Ant-Man

Post by Horsenhero »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:30 am Neat! That's one of the few Marvel movies I still haven't seen. I think I was having a period where I was suffering burnout from the "introduction/Origin Story/quickly-introduced villain/villain dies" thing, so I never got around to watching it.
I liked Ant-Man a lot and I was really nervous about it. Paul Rudd is an eclectic casting choice for a super-hero, but he made this part work. The only thing that bummed me out is Judy Greer was criminally underused. She's a fantastic actress who segues easily from drama to comedy and while her role wasn't "Pepper Potts cameo in the Avengers" inconsequential or Natalie Dormer in Captain America: the First Avenger, it was on par with her part in Jurassic World, which is just sad.
Thorpocalypse

Luke Cage: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got a J-Mart Favorite Item getting stocked on Aisle 2!

Remember you asked me how we know if we're the good guys in all this? This is how we know. We do good guy sh*t. - Luke Cage

LUKE CAGE
PL10

OPL: 10; SPL: 4; DPL: 10; FWPL: 9; HP: 1
Height: 6-6
Weight: 425
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Skin: Brown
Identity: Public
Team Affiliations: The Defenders; The Outsiders; Heroes for Hire; The Avengers

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 10, STAMINA 10, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Athletics 4 (+14), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Deception 2 (+6), Expertise [Streetwise] 11 (+12), Insight 4 (+7), Intimidation 7 (+11) [Startle], Investigation 8 (+9), Perception 3 (+6), Persuasion 3 (+7), Stealth 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Close Attack (2), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Hold, Interpose, Leadership, Power Attack (1) (Unarmed), Ranged Attack (3), Startle, Takedown (1), Teamwork, Ultimate Effort (2) (Ultimate Fortitude Check, Ultimate Toughness Check)

POWERS:
Power Man Treatments: Immunity 3 (Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Pressure), Enhanced Advantages 2 (Diehard, Great Endurance), Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds); 7 pts
Steel Skin: Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 13, Reaction Damage 5 (Extra: Reaction [to being hit with close attack], Flaw: Limited [damage equal to rank of attack]); 31 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +8
Unarmed +10 [Unarmed +10]
Ranged Attack +5

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +14 (+7 Impervious, Ultimate Effort), Fortitude +11 (Ultimate Effort), Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Relationships: His wife Jessica Jones, daughter Dani, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing and the other New York street level heroes.
Responsibility: Heading up the new Outsiders with Nightwing, protecting the streets of New York.
Reputation: Cage was originally a petty thug before turning his life around. Some old grudges haven't gone away.
Vulnerable: His steel skin makes it nearly impossible to do any type of invasive procedure on him, making his internal organs vulnerable.

Abilities 78 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Advantages 16 + Powers 38 + Defenses 8 = 163 / 163

Build Comments: Loves me some Luke Cage. He’s really been pumped up over the years to be just shy of A-list in the Marvel U, and, even though I haven't seen it yet (BUT I WILL!) his series was received pretty well. I'm glad to see him getting his due after some rough years in the main Marvel U. But he became a pet of Bendis a few years back and that really raised his profile and once the mainstream people realized that Nicolas Cage took his stage name from him, there was no holding him back. ;)

Secret Origins: Luke Cage (named Carl Lucas at birth) was raised in the slums of Harlem, New York. He spent his childhood in a gang called The Rivals along with his friend Willis Stryker. Lucas engaged in many gang fights with The Diablos, a rival gang. He also committed petty crimes and worked for a crime lord named Sonny Caputo.

Eventually, Lucas was put through the juvenile justice system and realized the pain he was causing his family. He changed his ways and in his adulthood, he joined The NYPD ( New York City Police Department) as a police officer. Willis Stryker rose through the ranks of crime. Stryker's actions brought the anger of The Maggia, a New York crime syndicate, upon Willis.

The Maggia ordered a hit on Willis and he was badly injured, only to be saved by Carl Lucas. Stryker's girlfriend Reva Conners grows fearful of Willis' line of work. She breaks up with him and finds comfort in Carl Lucas. Willis then believes that Lucas is the one responsible for the break up between him and Reva. In revenge, he planted drugs in Lucas' Harlem apartment and tipped off the cops. Lucas is then wrongly convicted and imprisoned.

The Story so Far: While incarcerated, Lucas grows angry and hateful towards Willis. He engages in jail fights and makes numerous failed escape attempts. Lucas, is then transferred to a prison on the coast of Georgia. Lucas faces racism from one of the guards named Albert Rackham. Lucas then volunteers for an experiment which will shorten his sentence. Dr. Noah Burstein puts Lucas in an electrical field with a chemical compound, leaving him unattended for a moment. Rackham tampers with the controls, causing an overload. Pushed way past its original intent, the resulting incident empowers Lucas with super strength and gives him nearly impervious skin. Lucas uses his power to escape from the prison and later makes his way back to New York City.

Lucas then adopted a costume and the name Luke Cage and became a Hero For Hire, working for anyone who can meet his price. He set up an office in Times Square, and is eventually proven innocent and exonerated from his crimes. Luke then continues his work as a superpowered mercenary. He eventually runs into his old friend, Willis Stryker, now a Maggia agent who goes under the name Diamond Back. Luke Cage and Diamond Back have an intense battle but Diamond Back is killed. Luke then went on to face many foes such as Gideon Mace, Chemistro, Discus, Stiletto, Shades and Comanche over the years.

During the Civil War event, he compared the registration act to slavery, which is a vitally important theme of Civil War and what it represented.

Characterization: Cage has proven to be very good at speaking positively, truthfully, and charismatically in front of large audiences. His innate nobility has earned him the respect and friendship from a good number of different persons.

Friends and Foes: Cage’s best friend is Danny Rand, the Iron Fist. He is also close to the other New York street level heroes. He is happily married to Jessica Jones-Cage and they have a daughter, Danielle Cage. He has become fast friends with Nightwing, Dick Grayson, and Jessica constantly tease them about “Luke two-timing on his bromance with Danny with Grayson”.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Iron Fist: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

This companion piece to our last new item kicks off our EVERYBODY WAS KUNG FU FIGHTING Special!

My name is Daniel Rand. After watching my parents murdered in cold blood, I was taken in by mystical monks. They protected me the only way they knew how. They turned fear into rage. To focus my rage, they promised vengeance. They turned me into a living weapon. Trained for ten years for the sole purpose of returning to Earth and killing Harold Meachum in the name of my dead mother and father. And then they acted surprised when I left. I returned to the world of men and found Meachum waiting for me in Rand Tower. A paraplegic, reeking of bourbon and fear. In essence, he was already dead. Guilt, reject and terror had already taken him. I looked into his hollow eyes. It was like looking into nothingness. I had become a weapon without a target. A worthless exercise. A lie. My fist wasn't forged in iron... But irony. An orphan of two worlds. Two families. Stuck in that place in-between. - Iron Fist

IRON FIST
PL11

OPL: 11; SPL: 9; DPL: 11; FWPL: 8; HP: 1
Height: 5-11
Weight: 175
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Skin: Fair
Identity: Secret
Team Affiliations: The Defenders; The Outsiders; The Avengers

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 5, FIGHTING 14, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 3 [6], PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 9 (+15) [Agile Feint], Athletics 8 (+11), Close Combat [Unarmed] 5 (+19), Deception (+2), Expertise [Business] 5 (+7), Insight 7 (+10/+13) [Assessment], Intimidation (+2), Perception 7 (+10/+13), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 3 (+13), Stealth 6 (+12)

ADVANTAGES: Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit (4) (Wealth 4 [Multimillionaire]), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (3), Evasion (1), Grabbing Finesse, Improved Critical (1) (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Instant Up, Languages (1) (Cantonese, Mandarin, Base: English), Move-by Action, Power Attack (2) (The Iron Fist, Unarmed), Precise Attack (1) (Close, Concealment), Ranged Attack (5), Redirect, Takedown (2), Uncanny Dodge

POWERS:
Mystical Enhancements: Enhanced Awareness 3, Senses 1 (Mystical Awareness [Mental]), Speed 1 (4 mph/60 fpr), Immunity 2 (Environmental Heat, Environmental Cold); 10 pts
Chi Array: 19 pt Array; 20 pts
Chi Healing: Healing 6 (Extra: Restorative, Stabilize); 19 pts
The Iron Fist: Bludgeoning Mystical/Fire Strength-Based Damage 6, Enhanced Advantage 1 (All Out Attack); (Extra: Penetrating 9, Variable Descriptor [Mystical, Fire], Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses], Inaccurate 3); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attack +14
Unarmed +19 [Unarmed +3, Critical 19-20]
The Iron Fist +13 [Iron Fist +9, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +9
Throwing +13

DEFENSES:
Dodge +14 [DC24] Parry +15 [DC25]
Toughness +7 (+4 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Steel Serpent (Davos).
Relationships: He is close to Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Luke Cage and his family and the other Marvel Street Level Heroes. He has also forged a bond with the other Immortal Weapons.
Responsibilities: To run Rand Industries and uphold his duties as the champion of K’un Lun.

Abilities 78 + Skills 27 (54 ranks) + Advantages 28 + Powers 30 + Defenses 17 = 180 / 180

Build Comments: The Immortal Iron Fist. I admittedly had to do some stretching from what I could have done to get him up to 15pts per level but I really wanted the Iron Fist attack to hit that level so I made him pretty nasty. Still, outside of that, he's really a PL10, so he's not quite out of bounds for general interpretations of him. And I know that since the Immortal Iron Fist series, he really doesn't have any limitations on using the Iron Fist anymore, but I wanted him to have at last something to keep him (or anyone that might use this build) from using it every round.

Haven't heard much good about his series, but I will give it a shot this winter after I catch up on DD, Luke Cage, The Defenders, The Punisher and Supergirl. Hmm...I'm seeing a trend...

Secret Origins: Daniel Rand was the son of businessman Wendell Rand, who had once lived in the fabled city of K'un-Lun, which exists in another dimensional realm. Wendell Rand-K'ai, as he was known there was the eldest son and heir of Lord Tuan, who ruled K'un-Lun, in the guise of the August Personage in Jade. However, Wendell was driven from K'un-Lun by his brother, who not only wanted to rule K'un-Lun himself, but who was Wendell's rival for the love of a woman named Shakirah. It was Wendell that Shakirah chose, and she bore him a daughter, Miranda. Wendell found refuge on Earth and became a successful businessman in the United States. In his absence, Tuan died and Wendell's brother succeeded him as Yu-Ti, the August Personage in Jade. Wendell married a woman named Heather, who bore him a son, Daniel.

Wendell sought to return to K'un-Lun, which ordinarily was only accessible from Earth through an interdimensional nexus that opened once every ten years. When Daniel was nine, his father traveled to Tibet along with Heather and his business partner Harold Meachum in search of the nexus to K'un-Lun. Toppling off a treacherous mountain passage, Daniel dragged his mother and father over the ice shelf with him. While he and his mother landed on a ledge below, his father dangled over the sheer drop of the mountainside and called to his partner for help. Hoping to take over Rand's share of the business, Meachum instead caused him to lose his grip and plunge to his death. Though Meachum offered to help Heather Rand and her son, they spurned him. Attempting to make it back to camp on their own, Heather and her son spied a long suspension bridge as a pack of wolves attacked. Heather tried to hold them off long enough for her son to get to safety and was killed in the effort.

Soon thereafter, denizens of K'un-Lun found the boy and took him to their city. There Daniel was brought before Yu-Ti, who had secretly plotted the murder of both Wendell and Heather. Yu-Ti apprenticed Daniel to the martial arts master Lei Kung the Thunderer.

Rand's training under Lei Kung was rigorous. At age sixteen Rand earned the Crown of Fu-Hsi, king of the vipers, vanquished four foes in the ritualistic Challenge of the Many, and defeated Shu-Hu, a mechanical being whose name means "Lightning". Rand diligently conditioned his hands by thrusting them into tubs of hot sand, then gravel, and finally rock.

At age nineteen Rand was given the opportunity to gain the power of the Iron Fist. He was sent to battle the enormous fire-breathing serpent called Shou-Lao the Undying which lived in a cave outside the city and which ferociously guarded a brazier containing its heart, which had mystically been removed from its body. In their battle Rand grabbed the serpent's body, which bore a scar which imprinted itself upon Rand's chest. Killing the serpent, Rand plunged his hands into the now unguarded brazier containing Shou-Lao's molten heart when his hands shone with a quasi-mystical force and he earned the title "Iron Fist," for he could now summon superhuman energy to reinforce the power of blows struck by his hands.

Iron Fist is a legacy power, and that to date there have been sixty-six Iron Fists.

The Story so Far: Declining to stay in K'un-Lun eternally, Rand returned to America when the nexus reopened in order to take vengeance on Meachum for his father’s death. While recovering from severe frostbite in the Himalayas, Meachum learned of Rand's training at K'un-Lun, and returned to America as an invalid to await Rand. Clad in the ceremonial garb of Iron Fist, Rand finally confronted Meachum but took pity on the invalid and spared him. Minutes later, however, a mysterious ninja murdered Meachum. Blamed for the murder by Meachum's daughter Joy, Iron Fist undertook the mission of finding the ninja and clearing his own name. Eventually Iron Fist succeeded in both tasks.

Iron Fist was befriended by Professor Lee Wing and his daughter Colleen, a private investigator. Eventually Daniel Rand became the lover of his partner; Misty Knight. Although Harold Meachum's daughter Joy and his brother Ward long mistakenly sought vengeance on Iron Fist for Harold's death, Daniel finally made peace with Joy Meachum. Daniel claimed his inheritance as a full partner in Rand-Meachum, Inc., thus becoming a millionaire.

However, Rand allowed Joy Meachum to manage the business. His activities as Iron Fist had led him to become a crime fighter, and eventually he chose to devote his time to acting as the partner of Luke Cage, alias Power Man, in their firm Heroes for Hire, Inc. Through this firm Cage and Rand accepted jobs as special bodyguards or detectives.

During the superhero Civil War, Rand disguised himself as Daredevil to convince the media and the public that Matt Murdock was not the masked vigilante. Rand believed that he had been hired to pose as Daredevil by Foggy Nelson. In reality Nelson had faked being murdered and was in witness protection.

He opposed to the Super-human Registration Act, and joined Captain America while still pretending to be Daredevil. While posing as Daredevil, Rand was apprehended by Pro-Registration forces, calling Tony Stark 'Judas' and giving him a silver dollar. He was later freed from the Negative Zone Prison, joining Captain America's team for the final battle with Iron Man's forces.

After the final battle, Rand returned his role as Iron Fist and joined the underground New Avengers alongside fellow former Hero for Hire Luke Cage. In World War Hulk, he, alongside his teammates Echo and Ronin, tried to protect Rick Jones from Elloe and Hiroim of the Hulk's Warbound. They were briefly defeated and imprisoned. During Secret Invasion, Iron Fist, along with the reunited Avengers and a myriad of other heroes, took a final stand against the Skrulls in an all out battle in New York City.

During the heroes of Earth battle against the Phoenix Five, Danny helped several of them operate from K’un Lun and train Hope there for eventual battle to control The Phoenix Force. After the Phoenix was defeated, he returned to New York to focus on running his company, his relationship with Misty and take a break from the superhero life for a while.

Characterization: Danny is one of the greatest martial artists on Earth, even without using the Iron Fist. He believes in using his powers and wealth for the greater good and has a high standing in the superhero community.

Friends and Foes: He and Luke Cage are best friends, and Luke even named his daughter, Danielle, after him. He has been a long, off and on relationship with Misty Knight and they are currently trying again.

He is close to the other Immortal Weapons of the Seven Cities of Heaven. His greatest rival has been Davos, the Steel Serpent.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: J-Mart: Wasp x2, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Iron Fist

Post by Ares »

I liked both Luke Cage and Iron Fist's Netflix series, though I felt both kind of suffered in different ways. Luke was great in the first 2/3rds of the series and kind of struggled right at the end, while I felt the Iron Fist series took a little while to gain momentum, but once it did it was great.

Danny's someone who, if I was writing at Marvel, would probably be my "Batman" in a way. The way Batman will be dealing with street crime in Gotham, but also be pulling his weight in the Justice League. Because Danny and Luke's friendship is a vital part of both characters, and I can't really imagine one without the other. And since Luke is closely tied with the streets, Danny will be spending a lot of time doing street level stuff.

But at the same time, Danny Rand is a martial artist and fighter on par with Shang Chi and Captain America, trained in a mystical city of immortal kung fu masters, capable of using his chi to destroy or heal as the Living Weapon of K'un L'un. This guy should be amaze-balls epic and involved in a lot of cool stuff.

Getting the Iron Fist technique just right can be a hassle as well, given Danny is a highly accurate hero that is suppose to have a punch that has laid out guys like Hercules. A flat Damage bonus with Multi-Attack, Penetrating, Improved Crit and the ability to Power Attack seemed like a good way to represent that, but he also seemed to be able to alt-effect it for things like an AoE burst punch and other things. I do agree there should be some limitations on how often it can be used, given the power of the attack. Him just being able to spam Iron Fist attacks would just be nuts. I'd probably go with something like Danny's Chi array has the Fades drawback, where overuse whittles down its effectiveness and he needs to make some kind of Meditation check or burn a Hero point to regain ranks.

Anyway, I'm backseat building. Sorry. :oops:
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

The funny thing is once upon a time Iron Fist's power wasn't that incredible. In his first meeting with Luke, he knocked Luke through a wall and across a street, but barely even did any real damage. Now thanks to relentless attempts to "ship" the character using the time honored technique of relentless power-ups, the ability that exhausted him just putting a dent in in Luke can be used time and again and can knock a helicarrier out of the sky.

Honestly, I don't even like Iron Fist any more because they've taken him so far from his HKAT roots and made him into...I don't know...Marvel's Kung-Fu Mary Sue. My feeling has always been if a character can't work as initially imagined, then it's a failure of either the writing or the concept and power-ups are just a cheap way to get the character to appeal to "power geeks". Writers have pulled this crap with Wolverine, the Hulk, Thor and tons of other characters and each time they (for no discernible reason) pull an extra level of "god mode", it reminds me how much I hate that crap. It just reminds me of stupid garbage like DBZ.

Mini rant over.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

My problem with Iron Fist is they were grasping at straws to capture the "Oliver Queen" feel from the popular Arrow series. So they spent WAAAAAAAAYYY too much time in corporate nonsense which has NOTHING to do with street level heroes.

And it wasn't until well after half way through the series that we found out that Danny had no idea why he was chosen. Had they explained that earlier in the series, maybe I would have tolerated his whiny, anxy BS. But by the time they explained it, I really didn't care about Danny any more. The only reason I was still watching was for Misty and Claire.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ares wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:06 am Getting the Iron Fist technique just right can be a hassle as well, given Danny is a highly accurate hero that is suppose to have a punch that has laid out guys like Hercules. A flat Damage bonus with Multi-Attack, Penetrating, Improved Crit and the ability to Power Attack seemed like a good way to represent that, but he also seemed to be able to alt-effect it for things like an AoE burst punch and other things. I do agree there should be some limitations on how often it can be used, given the power of the attack. Him just being able to spam Iron Fist attacks would just be nuts. I'd probably go with something like Danny's Chi array has the Fades drawback, where overuse whittles down its effectiveness and he needs to make some kind of Meditation check or burn a Hero point to regain ranks.

Anyway, I'm backseat building. Sorry. :oops:
Ah, don't ever worry about giving me ideas on building out powers. Every time I take a review of builds, I see something I could have done better or that I flat out missed. ;)
Horsenhero wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:44 pm Honestly, I don't even like Iron Fist any more because they've taken him so far from his HKAT roots and made him into...I don't know...Marvel's Kung-Fu Mary Sue. My feeling has always been if a character can't work as initially imagined, then it's a failure of either the writing or the concept and power-ups are just a cheap way to get the character to appeal to "power geeks". Writers have pulled this crap with Wolverine, the Hulk, Thor and tons of other characters and each time they (for no discernible reason) pull an extra level of "god mode", it reminds me how much I hate that crap. It just reminds me of stupid garbage like DBZ.

Mini rant over.
I tend to agree, although I did really like the Immortal Iron Fist series from a few years back and they did pump him up pretty good during that run. That constant power creep is something I am personally trying to avoid (again) with my builds for this setting, which is why you see him and Luke at PL10 here. That feels about perfect for street level.

And going back to Ares' thoughts about the Iron Fist power, keeping him a bit more under control was why I avoided Multiattack. I am getting ready to drop a bunch of fighting game inspired builds and I'd like to have them all fairly close in case I actually get around to the martial arts tournament I've been threatening for 8-9 years or so. :roll:
kenseido wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:11 am My problem with Iron Fist is they were grasping at straws to capture the "Oliver Queen" feel from the popular Arrow series. So they spent WAAAAAAAAYYY too much time in corporate nonsense which has NOTHING to do with street level heroes.

And it wasn't until well after half way through the series that we found out that Danny had no idea why he was chosen. Had they explained that earlier in the series, maybe I would have tolerated his whiny, anxy BS. But by the time they explained it, I really didn't care about Danny any more. The only reason I was still watching was for Misty and Claire.
I've heard similar complaints. I've heard that you should watch the first episode, then skip to 6 and from there it's pretty good, so that might be my plan.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I only recommend Multi-Attack because it has some built in features that seem to reflect the Iron Fist. I can be used to hit multiple opponents in one swing, which is something we've seen Danny do, and even a high damage roll still needs enough Penetrating to overcome someone's Invulnerability, otherwise the base damage won't let the extra damage stack. Multi-Attack always seemed like a good way to represent Martial Arts strikes whose power is based on precision, doing more damage the more accurate they were, rather than simulating a flurry of blows.

As for the Iron Fist itself, even in the early days of his solo book and later the Power Man/Iron Fist series, the power of the Iron Fist was inconsistent. In one issue he'd barely hurt Luke Cage, in another he was powerful enough to send Colossus flying (and Peter was MUCH more powerful than Luke at the time), KOed someone with Thor level strength, and in another he had to deliberately pull his Iron Fist so as not to kill Cage. All of this pre-dates the Immortal Iron Fist series by a couple of decades, so it's not like the idea of the Iron Fist punch being devastating came out of nowhere.

I do agree that things like tipping over the Helicarrier shouldn't be a common occurrence, they should be the equivalent of Hulk supporting that 4 billion ton mountain range, and be equal parts due to raw power and Danny precisely controlling said power. It's a big "HOLY SHIT" moment heroes get every once in a while to really show off.

I do like the idea of the Immortal Iron Fist series expanding what Danny could do with the IF technique, dipping more into esoteric wuxia style martial arts with a little Street Fighter thrown in.

I'd actually say that something akin to Street Fighter is probably the best way to handle the Iron Fist. How often he can use the technique is directly proportional to how much "oomph" he puts into it. Something that's basically akin to Ryu's "Sho-Ryu-Ken" or Terry Bogard's "Burn Knuckle" would be something he could use semi-regularly during a fight, with the potential to end a fight against a human opponent or hurt a superhuman one. Using more power than that takes more energy, and controlling that power either reduces his accuracy or requires more time and effort to focus to maintain said accuracy. So more powerful attacks either take more time to use properly, or they're done on the fly and his accuracy suffers, and in either case using the attack drains proportionately more stamina. He might be able to throw out a couple of "Burn Knuckle" Iron Fists a fight, but he'd likely only ever have a single "higher end" IF per battle.

So he could potentially whip out a punch that could KO someone a top tier, but it would take some time to power it up to that level while also maintaining the focus needed to land the hit just right, because if he messes that attack up, he's going to be exhausted to the point of potentially passing out after said punch.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Personally, I think Danny works best as a Street Leve, Goonsweeper-type hero, with semi-limited access to the Fist. Like it's way less accurate because he pretty much HAS to use his arms (GLOWING ones, no less), which in a fight means you're telegraphing it. The usual "Inaccurate Power-Hit" set-up works perfectly for this, especially with Improved Critical & Penetrating loaded up. And honestly, that's all you need. His "Big Showings" are all pretty much DESIGNED with the "Hero Point" system in place. Anime-style "Death Attacks" work perfectly that way, too. I'm big on the "baseline level" being what you build towards- the "Good Showings" and the "Bad Showings" are all based off of rolling better or worse, in my opinion.

That way, Danny can knock a high-end Powerhouse on his ass, but it's not gonna be an everyday occurrence. And its comparative inaccuracy makes it dangerous to use against regular martial artists, who have the agility to dodge it, and the counterattacks to punish Danny- who, for all his power, has no Defensive Super-Arts, and will totes die to even knives and bullets. This fits stuff from The Immortal Iron Fist, where he still uses kicks and headbutts against Mooks & Martial Artists alike (one of his best hits against Fat Cobra, for example, is a spin-kick to the face).

I mean, Danny (vs) Hercules is a fight that should only ever go one way- Herc can be knocked about a bit (the Iron Fist hits +10-15 in Damage), but one shot and Danny's finished. I never really cared for the Immortal Iron Fist bits where he's fighting Dragons and Giants so deftly.

And yeah, I think the Wuxia/Street Fighter/Chi-Powers influence would be a benefit. Rather than over-the-top Power Showings, Danny should work on stuff like how Wu Ao-Shi & Orson Randall could fire Chi in ranged attacks, or use Hypnosis or whatever. The esoteric, weird nature of K'un L'un can be played off- make him more versatile rather than more of a Death Weapon.