J-Mart OG: Closed for a new location!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: J-Mart: Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Post by Ken »

One of the saving graces of the first season of Super Friends, the ones with Wendy and Marvin, shitty animation, and frequent eco-themed stories, is that was the season which actually had Aquaman using his physical might. I mean, no one hit anyone, but we still saw Aquaman lifting, and swimming, with boulders, cubic meter blocks of concrete, bulldozer blades and the like.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Yeah I always like Aquaman myself but the NU52 version really Amazed me. I loved his portrayal in the JL Throne of Atlantis movie.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

The thing about Aquaman that throw's everbody off is that he doesn't have an overly muscular build,but instead has what's called a "Swimmer's Build" which is designed for speed&flexability more than brute force so they tend to forget how much strength you actually need to swim as deep as Artie tends to go.....
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Yojimbo wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:41 pm Why Impervious 7? My understanding of 3E Impervious is that only half the ranks are actually immune to damage, so he's immune to a 3.5 rank damage effect?
Well, I think the RAW Impervious is kinda goofy but I went back to it.

Basically, you get half the ranks of Impervious resistance rounded up. So Impervious 5 give you Impervious against against 3 ranks of damage, Impervious 19 means you can soak 10 ranks, etc. I initially just house ruled 2 pts per rank and called it good, but that extra PP can mean a lot when you're doing PC builds so I went back to the RAW.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:09 pm Well, I think the RAW Impervious is kinda goofy but I went back to it.

Basically, you get half the ranks of Impervious resistance rounded up. So Impervious 5 give you Impervious against against 3 ranks of damage, Impervious 19 means you can soak 10 ranks, etc. I initially just house ruled 2 pts per rank and called it good, but that extra PP can mean a lot when you're doing PC builds so I went back to the RAW.
Ah, okay. That makes more sense. He's at least bulletproof for the most part.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

exactly and the 7 ranks regardless of whether you do first or 2nd edition rules makes sense since in the NU 52 version hes shown being hit by a bullet from an assault rifle that leaves a small cut but otherwise leaves him unharmed from the gunfire
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Killer Croc tried to take a bite out of Aquaman during the Justice League/Suicide Squad crossover and broke some teeth. Although the implication in the panel was that good old fashioned Atlantean chain mail did the job, which I don't think Thorp included in his version.
Thorpocalypse

Sinestro: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got a J-Mart Favorite Item that is a YELLOW LIGHT SPECIAL and it's part of our long running YOU BETTER PUT A RING ON IT series!

Hahahahahahaha! Jordan...I AM better than you. And you already know that. - Sinestro

SINESTRO
PL14

OPL: 14; SPL: 5; DPL: 13; FWPL: 11; HP: 1
Height: 6-7
Weight: 215
Eyes: Yellow
Hair: Black
Skin: Magenta
Race: Korugarian
Identity: Public
Alignment: Neutral
Base of Operations: New Korugar
Team Affiliations: Sinestro Corps

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 11, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 6

SKILLS: Athletics 4 (+7), Deception 5 (+11), Expertise [Green Lantern Lore] 10 (+13), Expertise [Law Enforcement] 7 (+10), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 9 (+15) [Skill Mastery, Startle], Investigation 8 (+11), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion (+6), Ranged Combat [Power Ring] 8 (+11), Stealth (+2)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (2) (Status 2 – Leader of The Sinestro Corps), Defensive Roll (2), Favored Foe (Green Lanterns), Favored Foe (Sinesto Corps), Fearless, Inspire (1), Skill Mastery (1) (Intimidation), Startle, Ultimate Effort (1) (Ultimate Will)

POWERS:
Great Will: Enhanced Will 6 (Flaw: Limited to Power Ring effects); 3 pts
Yellow Power Ring Override: Immunity 5 (Qwardian Power Ring Effects); 5 pts
Qwardian Power Ring: 143 pts Traits, Removable (-31 pts); 122 pts
Attention Sinestro Corpsman...: Features 2 (A.I. and Sinestro Corps Database); 2 pts
Communication: Senses 1 (Communication Link to Central Power Battery); 1 pt
Quick Change: Features 1 (Quick Change); 1 pt
Universal Translator: Comprehend 4 (Speak, Read, Understand, Understood in All Languages); 8 pts
Scanning Beam: Variable 1 (5 pts traits, Extra: Action [Move], Flaw: Limited to Senses); 7 pts
Sinestro's Light: Environment 2 (60 ft radius; Light [reduce partial concealment to none, total concealment to partial]); 2 pts
Show Me Your Fear: Senses 3 (Detect Emotions [Mental; Acute, Ranged], Flaw: Limited to Fear); 2 pts
Ring Flight: Flight 14 (32,000 mph/60 mpr), Movement 4 (Environment Adaptation [Zero G], Space Travel 3 [Any star system]), Feature 1 (Use Intimidate [DC20] to increase Flight speed instead of Athletics); 37 pts
Force Field: Protection 9 (Flaw: Sustained), Impervious Toughness 11 (Flaw: Sustained), Immunity 10 (Life Support); 30 pts
Force Manipulation: 35 pt Dynamic Array; 53 pts
Force Blast: Ranged Force Energy Damage 17 (Extra: Dynamic); 35 pts
Rapid Fire Force Blast: Ranged Multiattack Force Energy Damage 11 (Extra: Accurate, Dynamic); 2 pts
Force Constructs: Create 17 (Hard Light Constructs; Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts
Movable Force Constructs: Create 11 (Hard Light Constructs; Extra: Dynamic, Movable); 2 pts
Force Lifting: Move Object 17 (Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts
Force Lifting Mastery: Shapeable Area Move Object 8 (Extra: Dynamic, Shapeable Area x2 [60 cu ft volume]); 2 pts
Force Bubble: Ranged Burst Area Immunity 8 (All Environmental Conditions, Suffocation, Airborne Toxins, Extra: Dynamic, Burst Area [30 ft radius],Flaw: Affects others only); 2 pts
Mass Communication: Communication 5 (Subspace audiovisual projection, Any Distance, Extra: Dynamic, Selective); 2 pts
Force Weapons: Strength-based Damage 6, Enhanced Advantage 1 (Power Attack), (Extra: Accurate, Dynamic, Reach [5 ft], Variable Descriptor [Bludgeoning/Piercing/Slashing]); 2 pts
Force Minions: Summon 4 (60 pt minions; Extra: Dynamic, Multiple Minions 2 [4 minions], Variable Type 2 [Broad, Hard Light Constructs]); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +11 [Unarmed +3]
Ring Weapons +13 [Ring Weapons +9]
Ranged Attack +3
Power Ring +11 [Force Blast +17; Rapid Fire Force Blast +11, Multiattack; Force Constructs +17; Movable Force Constructs +11; Force Lifting Move Objects +17]
Special Attack [Force Lifting Mastery +8, Shapeable Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +5 (+3 without Defensive Roll, +14 with Force Field, +6 Impervious with Force Field), Fortitude +7, Will +11 (+17 for Power Ring effects, Ultimate Will)

COMPLICATIONS:
Arrogance: Sinestro believes he is the greatest Green Lantern and actually the greatest ring bearer of any kind in the universe and his overconfidence can put him in precarious situations.
Enemy: Several Green Lantern Corpsmen, Atrocitus, the people of Korugar.
Obsession: Sinestro is obsessed with his particular idea of order, and the enforcement of that order, throughout the cosmos.
Power Loss: The power ring needs periodic recharging and issues a warning when its power runs low.
Relationships: In an odd way, he does love his daughter, Soranik Natu and is protective of her.
Rivalry: Hal Jordan, Abin Sur.
Weakness: The Yellow Power Ring are fueled by the user's abilities spread fear. Loss of that ability or their loss of belief in the power of fear can cause the ring to fail.

Abilities 70 + Skills 30 (60 ranks) + Advantages 11 + Powers 122 + Defenses 22 = 255 / 255

Build Comments: Sinestro rules. His revival was one of Geoff Johns' greatest feats during his epic run on Green Lantern Corps. Sinestro has continued to be relevant during the New 52 and Rebirth and the GL books are always better when he's involved.

Secret Origins: Thaal Sinestro, originally an anthropologist from the planet Korugar, had a natural affinity for order as displayed by his meticulous reconstructions of ancient ruins. It was at one of these reconstructions that a wounded Green Lantern, Prohl Gosgotha, crash landed. He gave his ring to Sinestro who barely defeated the lantern's pursuer, a Weaponer of Qward , at the cost of the very ruins he had restored. When Gosgotha requested his ring back after the battle so that it might keep him alive Sinestro instead allowed him to die and took his place. The Guardians, unaware of his actions, allowed Sinestro to become the Green Lantern for sector 1417.

The Story so Far: At his height, he was considered to be the greatest of all the Green Lanterns, and Sector 1417 was almost entirely devoid of crime and lawlessness under his vigilant protection. His prowess was so great that he was assigned as a mentor to a number of rookie lanterns showing similar promise...the greatest of which would be his last student, Hal Jordan. Ganthet had specifically requested that the two train together, and they quickly became great friends.

Throughout his time in the Corps, Abin Sur was Thaal Sinestro's best friend and trusted confidante, so much so that they considered each other to be brothers. He would eventually fall in love with and marry Arin Sur, his friend's sister, and the two would have a child together. Abin confided in Sinestro what he had learned of the Blackest Night, where a darkness would rise to destroy all life, something Sinestro dismissed as lies by the Five Inversions who told Abin the prophecy. Eventually Abin was killed by the monster known as Atrocitus. Sinestro would later bring Atrocitus to justice for Abin's murder with the help of Abin's successor, Hal Jordan. After Sinestro dropped him off at the prison world of Ysmault, Atrocitus taunted Sinestro with a prophecy of the chaos and deadly coup that would lead to Sinestro's fall from grace. However, Sinestro ignored him and leaves. However, as he became increasingly stressed with keeping his sector as perfect and as ordered as he needed it to be, Sinestro slowly became more unhinged and started employing more questionable tactics in his behavior. His actions were unwelcome by the Korugarans, and threats were made against his family. Arin recognized the danger posed by Sinestro's methods, and secretly gave their daughter away. Sinestro would be unable to find his daughter, and Arin soon died as a result of an attack against Sinestro.

On their first diplomatic assignment, Hal proved to be reckless and Sinestro believed that he was a waste of his time. Then upon returning to his home planet of Korugar, they were met with great opposition and Hal discovered that Sinestro forced his planet to worship him and that he had a very strict and unjust set of rules. After being gone so long, Korugar's citizens rebelled and Sinestro lost control. After a short battle, Hal knocked some sense into Sinestro and he realized that he must hide for the Guardians will punish both of them. After hiding in one of Earth's prisons with Hal Jordan, Oan manhunters brought him in to Oa and he was tried. After Hal testified against him, Sinestro swore revenge against Hal and the Corps right before he was banished to Qward in the Antimatter Universe. There, he met the Weaponers of Qward, who helped him forge a yellow power ring to counter the Green Lantern Corps. The Guardians had never erred in their judgment before, and he would later be considered one of their greatest mistakes.

After a confrontation with Jordan, Sinestro was captured and imprisoned within the Central Power Battery. After being converted into energy inside the Oan power battery, Sinestro waited for the opportune moment to strike back. In the battery, Sinestro also spoke with Parallax, which was the source of the yellow impurity in all Green Lantern rings. When Parallax gained control of Hal Jordan and turned him insane, Sinestro knew that his time was near. Eventually after defeating the entire Green Lantern Corps in his attempt to drain the power of the Oan power battery, it came down to Hal and the Guardians. In their stead, the Guardians released Sinestro to fight against Hal as the lesser of two evils, and even gave him a green power ring. Much verbal torture occurred on Sinestro's part and he even enraged Hal Jordan, the greatest Green Lantern ever, to have a bloodlust. A great battle went on and both sides had their attacks hit, but Hal was winning. Eventually it came down to a one-on-one without their rings and Sinestro did what was necessary to bring Jordan over the edge, he allowed him to snap his neck. After this, Hal gained the power of the battery, went on a rampage as Parallax, and is eventually defeated.

It turned out that Sinestro survived and he returned to torture Kyle Rayner at the same time that Parallax returned. He revealed himself to be the one behind all of Hal's torments and problems, but now he chose to take direct action. After soundly defeating Kyle Rayner in the JLA Watchtower, Green Arrow managed to fire one Green Lantern arrow from Hal's old ring. He was also beaten by Sinestro and his apparent new power over fear given to him by Parallax. This power coincided with his yellow power ring and it gave him a new charge that surpassed any Green Lantern's. Due to other circumstances, Hal Jordan returned to his old body and smashed Sinestro through a wall with a will-powered blast from his power ring. Soon they were in intense battle and Sinestro once again taunted him and tried to bring him over the edge while truly fighting to win instead of knowing that he will have his neck snapped later. In the midst of battle, Kyle Rayner returned and aided Hal in his war against Sinestro. To end the battle, Hal and Sinestro both swung at each other and their rings clashed. All focus was bent and altered until Hal smashed Sinestro's ring into pieces. As Sinestro instantly teleported back to the Antimatter Universe of Qward, he said, "Heh... Jordan... Welcome back."

The events of the Infinite Crisis brought about a restored Multiverse, and with it, the resurrection of the Anti-Monitor. With his help, Sinestro established his own Sinestro Corps, which served in direct opposition to the Green Lantern Corps, using yellow rings instead of green rings. Sinestro masterminded a massive attack plan against the Green Lantern Corps in an event that has come to be known as the Sinestro Corps War. Sinestro's motive behind instigating the war was to manipulate the Guardians into allowing the Green Lantern Corps members to use lethal force in combat - an ability that had always been restricted in the past. The Green Lanterns proved victorious over the Sinestro Corps and Hal Jordan faced Sinestro in physical combat on Earth with Kyle Rayner. Jordan and Rayner defeated Sinestro in hand-to-hand combat and placed him in a Sciencell back on Oa where he sat on Death Row.

He was liberated during his transfer to his execution on Korugar and after escaping Atrocitus and his Red Lantern Corps, Sinestro returned to Korugar to tell Soranik that he was her father and to warn her about the possible retaliation on her by Atrocitus. He played in a key role in the Blackest Night along with the other leaders of the Lantern Corps in, helping defeat Nekron . Later he worked with Kyle Rayner and the Green Lantern Corps in an effort to rescue Soranik Natu from a Qwardian who wanted vengeance on him that made Sinestro's original yellow ring.

When Sinestro and the other 'New Guardians' are trapped in the Book of the Black by Lyssa Drak while trying to recover the entities from Krona, Hal Jordan escapes with their rings. He later uses Sinestro's ring when Parallax is returned to the Central Power Battery, allowing Krona to control all Green Lanterns- Hal and others escaped only thanks to their prior experience with Parallax-, in order to give himself a weapon against the other Lanterns.

Later, Sinestro was freed by Kyle Rayner. He was then denied his yellow ring by Krona. As Hal Jordan fought Krona, Sinestro was granted a green ring for unknown reasons. He then helped turned the tide in Jordan's battle with Krona, leading to the latter's death. Following the battle, Hal Jordan was expelled from the Corps for killing Krona, but Sinestro was allowed to keep his ring and new position, with his fate still being determined by the Guardians in the Citadel, much to the outrage of all the other Green Lanterns.

It has since been revealed that the Guardians were responsible for Sinestro acquiring a Green Lantern ring in an attempt to undermine the Sinestro Corps as part of their future plans to destroy all seven Corps. During the conclusion of the Wrath of the First Lantern event, Sinestro becomes a member of the Sinestro Corps once again and after bonding with Parallax, he reactivates the yellow rings and releases all the Sinestro Corps members who were incarcerated on Oa.

Characterization: Sinestro is all about order. He can be cruel but his motivations are truly grounded in the fact that he thinks that the best way to keep the universe safe is through fear and order. Despite his questionable methods at times, he does have a sense of honor and he truly believes he is doing what is best for all life in the universe.

Friends and Foes: His greatest foe has been Hal Jordan but at times the two have worked together and deep down continue to have great respect for each other. He loves his daughter in his own way and keeps an eye out for her frequently.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Playtest - Wonder Woman vs. Thanos

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I replaced the Batman/Superman test with their fighting game builds with this one that I whipped up a couple of weeks ago. I think I messed up Diana's actions after she got Staggered, so I may have to have a rematch.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:09 pm Playtest: Wonder Woman vs. Thanos

Maneuver Legend: AA – All Out Attack, ACA – Accurate Attack, DA – Defensive Attack, PA – Power Attack, RA – Routine Attack, SA – Standard Attack], TC - Toughness Check, WC – Will Check, FC – Fortitude Check

Intro: This was more of a Thanos test than a Wonder Woman test for me. Since all the hype for Infinity War is at fever pitch, he's been on my mind so I figured I'd see how he fared against a few different heroes. Diana got first shot.

Thanos is considerably more powerful, but Diana has a punchers chance. Plus, I might call in some help for her to get some more testing in if things starting going badly for her.

--

Thanos is bored and looking for a challenge. He decides to come to Earth to pick a fight with Superman. He materializes outside of the Hall of Justice, calling for “the Kryptonian coward to come and face him.” The front door opens and Wonder Woman strides out, sword drawn. Thanos and Diana exchange a few unpleasantries until Thanos tells her “to run along and play warrior somewhere else, little girl”, which makes Diana smile and charge the Mad Titan.
Round 1: Initiative: Wonder Woman – 28, Thanos – 16. Since I posted Thanos with 2 HP, I’ll give Diana 2 as well to even things up. They’re about 50 ft apart in the large plaza in front of the Hall of Justice. Wonder Woman can easily close the distance with her normal speed and will go PA3 against Thanos with her sword and she hits with a 30. DC31 TC and Thanos makes it easily with a 39. Thanos goes AA2 unarmed and hits with a 28. DC34 TC for Diana, and she makes it.

Round 2: Diana goes PA3 with her sword again, and she hits again with a 24. DC31 and Thanos gets a 29 for a 1st degree failure. Thanos goes PA2 unarmed against WW and misses with a 14.

Round 3: Seeing the big man bleed, Wonder Woman tries to press her advantage. She goes PA5 with her sword but misses with a natural 2. HP to reroll gets her a 25 for a hit. Thanos rolls a natural 1 on the DC37 TC! He’ll have to burn an HP to reroll to get a 32 for a 1stdegree failure. He’ll try to slug her one more time going AA2 but he misses, barely, with a 23.

Round 4: Diana again goes for a kill shot with a PA5 but misses with a 15. Thanos steps back and goes PA3 with a cosmic blast but he also misses with an 18.

Round 5: One more PA5 for Diana with her sword and she hits with a 23. Thanos gets a 23 on the DC37 TC. He’ll burn his last HP for a reroll and gets a 36 for another 1st degree failure, which is far better than the 3rd degree he was looking at. Thanos switches up and will hit her with a Mental Blast. Diana makes the dodge check and also makes the Will check.

Round 6: Diana stays in melee and goes PA2 with her sword again and hits with a 24. Thanos fails the DC30 TC with a 28. Thanos strikes back with an AA2 punch and hits with a 28, Diana gets a natural 1 on the TC, HP to reroll gets her a 24 against the DC34 TC for a 2nddegree failure.
Round 7: Diana finally has to shake off a good shot. She’ll fly back about 100 ft. Thanos will blast at her AA2 and he misses.

Round 8: Diana flies in with PA5 attack with her sword and he hits with a 22. DC33 TC for Thanos and he gets a 31 for another 1st degree failure. Diana just keeps chipping away at him. Thanos unleashes another psionic blast. Diana fails the dodge check and has to make a full DC25 Will check. And she does with a 28.

Round 9: Diana goes PA5 again and misses with a 19. Thanos steps back and blasts her with his Cosmic Blast, AA2 and he hits with a 28. DC34 TC for Diana and she only gets a 23, 3rd degree failure for the Amazonian Princess. The blast sends her sprawling back about 100 ft across the plaza. Looks like the pure power difference is starting to rear its head.

Round 10: Wonder Woman stays down and uses the round to Recover. Thanos goes PA2 with another blast and misses with a 25 thanks to Diana being prone and getting +2 for the Recover action.

Round 11: Diana has a choice; stay and fight or back off and wait or call for help. No brainer. She flies in and uses EE for an extra action to goes PA5 with her sword and hits again with a 23. DC33 TC, Thanos gets a 23 for a 2nd degree failure. Wonder Woman is fatigued. Thanos will use his lone action to take another swipe at Wonder Woman, PA2, but misses with a 14.

Round 12: Wonder Woman goes PA5 again and hits with a 23. DC33 TC for Thanos again and he gets a 32 for another 1st degree failure. He takes another swipe at her, AA3, but misses again with a 16.

Round 13: Wonder Woman takes another PA5 swing at Thanos and hits with a 28. Thanos gets a 19 on his DC33 TC for a 3rd degree failure. Diana is going to use EE for one more attack…

…but you know what? Thanos is NOT going to risk an actual loss to this earthling female. He’s outta here. He stumbles back, tells Diana that he has other matters to attend to now, hits a button on his belt and teleports back to his base. Diana gets an HP for the fiat.

Final Status – Wonder Woman (-2 toughness, staggered, 1 hp), Thanos (-8 toughness, staggered, 0 hp)

Comments: I did not see that one coming. My plan was to have Diana take a few shots then call in Superman for a Kryptonian/Mad Titan throwdown, but the dice were on Diana’s side most of the fight. I kept things pretty vanilla for Thanos this time, since I mainly wanted to see if I had him overpowered or not, and I think he’s good, despite taking a pretty good beating. I probably could have used his Create effect to slow Diana down a bit and I’d probably use a little GM Fiat Knockback (by the way, I HATED the Knockback rules in 2E and even though they’re option in 3E, I’m only using it for flavor) to make the fight a little more wide ranging. But as things progressed, I wanted to see how Diana would do in a slugfest against a high powered foe and she more than held her own.

Despite that strong showing, I saw some room for improvement in Diana’s build and I've made tweaks to both of them since I did this. I didn’t use the lasso since he could escape pretty easily and there was no need for him to actually tell the truth, not that he would have anyway. But I think I might tweak it some and I’m not sold on that Shield mechanic. All in all, a fun fight. More to come…
Thorpocalypse

Re: 258 - Superboy (Jon Kent)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I'm replacing some of the Fighting Game and PC builds I previously posted here with new ones for my main setting. Here is the newest Superboy.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:52 pm Since we moved our Fighting Game builds to a new store, this one was replaced with this companion piece to it for main Thorpocaverse! Check this one out on Aisle 1!

Up until a couple days ago I thought I was a normal kid--with normal parents livin' a normal life. But that was a lie! Now I'm hearing about other planets and aliens and dad bein' Superman even though there's another Superman and I just... I mean, what I really want to know is... what does all this mean? - Superboy

SUPERBOY (JON KENT)
PL9

OPL: 9; SPL: -; DPL: 9; FWPL: 8; HP: 1
Height: 5-3
Weight: 102
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Fair
Race: Human Kryptonian
Identity: Secret
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Hamilton County, ME, USA
Team Affiliations: Super Sons

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 13, STAMINA 10, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics (+14), Close Combat [Unarmed] 1 (+5), Deception 3 (+4), Expertise [Popular Culture] 1 (+4), Insight 3 (+4), Intimidation (+1), Perception 3 (+4), Persuasion (+1), Ranged Combat [Heat Vision] 3 (+5), Stealth (+2), Technology 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Great Endurance, Interpose

POWERS:
More Powerful Than a Locomotive: Enhanced Strength 7 (25,000 Tons; Flaw: Limited to Lifting); 7 pts
Invulnerability: Protection 2, Impervious Toughness 11, Enhanced Advantages 2 (Diehard, Great Endurance), Immunity 10 (Life Support), Feature 1 (Longevity), Regeneration 3 (1/every 3 rounds; Extra: Persistent, Flaw: Limited [Requires exposure to yellow sunlight]); 32 pts
Faster Than a Speeding Bullet. Kinda...: 19 pt Dynamic Array; 21 pts
Able to Leap Tall Buildings: Flight 9 (1,000 mph/2 mpr; Extra: Dynamic); 19 pts
Super Speed: Speed 9 (1,000 mph/2 mpr), Quickness 9, Enhanced Advantages 1 (Improved Initiative 1), (Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts

Powers Far Beyond Those of Mortal Boys: 27 pt Array; 30 pts
Freezing Breath: Cone Area Cumulative Affliction 9 (Ice; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Hindered, 2nd: Immobilized, 3rd: Paralyzed; Extra: Cone Area [60 ft cone]); 27 pts
Heat Vision: Ranged Heat Energy Damage 11; 1 pt
Super-Breath: Cone Area Move Object 9 (Air; Extra: Cone Area [60 ft cone], Flaw: Range [Close], Limited Direction [towards or away]); 1 pt
Super Senses: Senses 17 (Normal Hearing [Acute, Extended 2, Penetrates Concealment, Flaw: Cannot see through lead], Normal Vision [Extended 2], Infravision [Extended], Microscopic Vision 4 [Atomic], Ultra-Hearing [Extended]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +4
Unarmed +5 [Unarmed +13]
Ranged Attack +2
Heat Vision +5 [Heat Vision +11]
Special Attack [Super Breath Move Object +9, Cone Area; Freezing Breath Affliction +9, Cone Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +12 (+12 without Defensive Roll, +6 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Big Shoes to Fill: Jon is the son of the greatest hero of all, Superman, and he feels a lot of pressure to be the hero his dad has been.
Power Loss: Under a red sun, like that of Krypton, and other effects draining or interfering with the energies of the yellow sun can deprive him of his powers and reduce his stats to the following: Str -1, Fgt 1.
Relationships: Jon is close to his parents, Clark and Lois Lane Lent, his grandparents, Marth and Jonathan Kent and the family dog, Krypto. He is getting close to Kon-El, Supergirl and Power Girl and is working on being friends with Damian Wayne. Although it seems to be one-sided on his part...
Responsibility: Like his father, Superboy feels a strong sense of responsibility to use his powers for the benefit of all.
Secret Identity: He and his parents help him maintain his identity as Jon Lane Kent, elementary school student in Metropolis.
Vulnerable: Kryptonians are as vulnerable to magic as anyone else. They lose their ranks of Protection and their Toughness is not Impervious against magical attacks.
Weakness: Kryptonite...Its radiation saps the Strength and powers of Kryptonians, leaving them impaired, disabled, and eventually debilitated in terms of Strength and power effects. Long-term exposure (usually a matter of minutes, less for a large enough amount) imposes the dying condition and may lead to death.

Abilities 72 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Advantages 2 + Powers 90 + Defenses 15 = 187 / 187

Build Comments: Just finished reading the first 7 issues of Superman post Rebirth. Really liked it. I guess it’s because I’m a dad that I really get the whole “married with children” vibe that the Superman series has now. And I really like how Peter J Tomasi is handling Clark and Lois’ son, Jon. He could be REALLY annoying like early Damian Wayne but much like the difference between Clark and Bruce, he comes off as more of a normal kid than the current Robin.

Sidenote: Tomasi wrote a great panel in Superman #7 where Clark is flying around assisting Aquaman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Flash. Aquman says “thanks”. Wonder Woman says “thanks”. Flash says “thanks”. Batman says “I don’t recall asking for help.” Classic.

The fun thing about Jon is that right now, his powers are still kinda wonky. While he’s super strong pretty much all the time, and he’s shown to be really powerful because of the yellow sunlight that both his father and mother have absorbed over the years (saw a really neat video about how all of us are yellow sun energy absorbers like Kryptonians, we just don’t get the benefits), his invulnerability still goes on and off. Sometimes he can take a shot from The Eradicator and the next, he gets a concussion falling out of a tree. Hence, his Enhanced Stamina and Protection are Uncontrolled. A good GM would keep them on until he really needed them and then…out go the lights.

Obviously, this will be ripe for a redo as he develops but I enjoyed the book so much, I felt the need to get him up now.

Secret Origins: Jonathan "Jon" Kent is the firstborn son of Kryptonian superhero Superman and news reporter Lois Lane.

The Story so Far: After Jon’s birth, both Lois and Clark took time off from the Daily Planet and Superman mostly retired from superheroics, except for a few times where he had to assist the superhero community with apocalypse level events. Jon grew oblivious of his parent's past, being deprived of their real identities while living an apparently normal life, but he was always suspicious of their sometimes awkward behavior, and always showed curiosity for, unbeknownst to him, his father's secret exploits. Jon later discovered he had superpowers, including heat vision when he accidentally killed his cat. Later, he went to the Moon to help his father (once again operating openly as Superman) fight the Eradicator, who had trapped Superman inside of him. Lois got into one of Batman`s suits and helped Jon free Superman. Superman and the Eradicator fought until Superman won. Then, Jon and Lois went to a ceremony for Superman, and in the night, Clark gave Jon a hat and glasses to conceal his secret. He then got into his costume and went with his dad to the Justice League Watchtower and Superman introduced Jon to Batman and Wonder Woman as Superboy.

Superboy has been adventuring with Damian Wayne recently, earning them the nickname of the Super Sons.

Characterization: Jonathan is described by his homeroom teacher as quick-thinking, respectful and a bit of a daydreamer. He idolizes his heroic father and wishes to follow in his footsteps. As he is currently only 10-years-old, he is still learning about his powers and how to control them.

Friends and Foes: Jon is closest to his mother and father. He has a good friend in his neighbor and classmate Kathy, who seems to have a crush on him. He shares primary care of Krypto with his father’s clone, Kon-El, who lives with them now and Jon sees him as a big brother. He is getting close to his cousins Supergirl and Power Girl and is also forming a friendship with Damian Wayne, who seems to regards him with great disdain, but seeks him out for assistance on a regular basis.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamebook

Re: J-Mart: Aquaman, Sinestro, Playtest, Superboy

Post by Gamebook »

The new Superboy has been a real transformation in the Superman mythos. The Superman comic is now pretty much 'Superman and Son' with Clark taking Jon on his adventures and constantly teaching him all about being the best of superheroes. It has also redefined the relationship of Lois and Clark, making them into a genuine committed couple. Clark is so naturally cut out to be a dad that it amazes me that it has taken all this time for it to happen.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I wish they'd let Jon be Superlad, so Kon-El could keep the Superboy name.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Gamebook wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:06 pm The new Superboy has been a real transformation in the Superman mythos. The Superman comic is now pretty much 'Superman and Son' with Clark taking Jon on his adventures and constantly teaching him all about being the best of superheroes. It has also redefined the relationship of Lois and Clark, making them into a genuine committed couple. Clark is so naturally cut out to be a dad that it amazes me that it has taken all this time for it to happen.
It happened in the February 1958 issue of World's Finest (#92), when they introduced Skyboy, who became Superman's ward and junior partner. Sadly, it didn't last past the one issue.

Goldar

Post by Goldar »

What happened to Skyboy? Did he die? What were his powers?
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Gamebook wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:06 pm The new Superboy has been a real transformation in the Superman mythos. The Superman comic is now pretty much 'Superman and Son' with Clark taking Jon on his adventures and constantly teaching him all about being the best of superheroes. It has also redefined the relationship of Lois and Clark, making them into a genuine committed couple. Clark is so naturally cut out to be a dad that it amazes me that it has taken all this time for it to happen.
Unfortunately there's this insane idea that keye events in life like marriage or becoming a parent hopelessly age an hero, creating a rift between the character and the readers (yes, Mr. Quesada, I'm looking at you). Personally I've come to the conclusion that it's one of those things that simply locks away too many potential stories to be left out.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)