BSDQ's OCverse Builds

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
bsdigitalq

Re: BSDQ's OCverse Builds

Post by bsdigitalq »

lol, take your time dude. He's a bit of a beast, so I won't begrudge you taking forever on him.
Jabroniville

Re: Captain Meteor

Post by Jabroniville »

bsdigitalq wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:59 pm Image
Good heavens! Finally finished reading this in three installments. First off, I like the image- it pretty much says "Supermanalogue" while also doing some unique things. I like the "one-shouldered cape" look. The glowing chest symbol is a good addition, making him look more "epic" and cosmic at the same time.

The only thing that troubles me of course is the "Supermanalogue" thing, which is of course the inevitable thing you find with almost EVERYONE's OC-verse. You just look at him and go "Oh, it's Superman". That his PL & points-cost is insane helps fit this role, as do the pretty typical Flying Brick stats. One can often look at this kind of build in their sleep and get the basics (I know this, because my own Mega-Woman is much the same way :)).
“The Astralisman”(Easily Removable, Indestructible)
“Chosen of the Arche” Feature 1 (Captain Meteor commands respect from cosmic beings that he is otherwise not a peer of)
Comprehend 3 (Read & Speak All Languages, Understood in All Languages)
Enhanced Trait 9 (Expertise (Arcane Lore) 6 (+10); Assessment, Beginner’s Luck, Eidetic Memory, Fearless, Jack-of-all-Trades, Well-informed)
Healing 9 (Energizing, Persistent, Restorative)
Movement 3 (Space Travel 3, Increased Mass 7, Limited to the planet Ram)
“Wisdom of the Star-Seers of Ram” Feature 2 (2 uses of Inspiration as if a Hero Point had been spent per session)
This is a bit of a nice addition, making him sort of require this for side-powers. It's something different from the usual, at least.

So I like some of what you've done with his past, because it alters the norm. Basically "What If?: Superman continued on", as he gains experience, "ascends" to Cosmic Champion, and leaves his old world behind. That the world was ruined in his absence gives him some gravitas, makes him not-quite-perfect.

I also like that he's not your Main Character, giving him the "Superman in other people's books" thing, which is what many writers have noticed about DC- Superman comes off better in the books of OTHER characters, because the character is more effective when looked at as an icon, not a person.

His list of Complications is so long I can barely keep track of it. It makes me wish your guys' info was easier to find- DA isn't the best since it uploads things piecemeal. Do you have direct links to mini-bios somewhere? It's easier to note who's more important or powerful that way.

One thing I notice is that a lot of the villains tend to have names that don't really mean anything (or are just hard to say), kind of making them run together. I'm not one to talk- when left to my own devices, I often just throw "Cosmic-sounding" names onto baddies. But we've got Kagan, Apollyon, Eschaton, Negas, Oudeis, Skorpus, The Skarn, etc. I guess this is why Marvel had so many guys named Annihilus or Blastaar or something Silver Age-y like that- it's just hard to "nail down" these guys otherwise :).

So is Harbringer like a Galactus-class dude? What with the killing of heroes and planets disappearing.

The whole "August Star/Nemesis" thing interests me. Particularly her very personal stake in the battle- it makes things a little deeper than "this is the ultimate evil". Skorpus, as a "Failed Predecessor", works as a Mirror Image Villain of sorts. Also a living symbol of how badly that job can go wrong.

I like the bit with the Obsidian Shards- it's not exactly Kryptonite, because you can make a lot of weapons with it.

The backstory about the Super War/Skarn Invasion sounds interesting. Is the full story written out somewhere?

I like the thing with Megabeast & Stronghold. Very much like how you'd expect things to go in real life. I'm almost annoyed I didn't think of it first. And by "almost" I mean "I'm going to rip that off as soon as possible".

(I'll do part 2 of my info thing later. No sense posting an entire essay at once :).)
bsdigitalq

Re: Captain Meteor

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:47 amGood heavens! Finally finished reading this in three installments. First off, I like the image- it pretty much says "Supermanalogue" while also doing some unique things. I like the "one-shouldered cape" look. The glowing chest symbol is a good addition, making him look more "epic" and cosmic at the same time.
Thanks. :)
The only thing that troubles me of course is the "Supermanalogue" thing, which is of course the inevitable thing you find with almost EVERYONE's OC-verse. You just look at him and go "Oh, it's Superman". That his PL & points-cost is insane helps fit this role, as do the pretty typical Flying Brick stats. One can often look at this kind of build in their sleep and get the basics (I know this, because my own Mega-Woman is much the same way :)).
Yeah, that's pretty much the only strike against him. Which is why I went to a huuuuuuuge amount of trouble to try and make him his own distinctive character instead of just doing a basic copy/paste of Superman like, say, Freedom City's Centurion. Probably helps that instead of directly aping Supes, I based him more on Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, and the various pulp era space opera heroes. I think the only *really* Superman thing that I drew upon for influence was Kingdom Come Supes, which you can see a little here in the grey hair around the ears and temples.
“The Astralisman”(Easily Removable, Indestructible)
“Chosen of the Arche” Feature 1 (Captain Meteor commands respect from cosmic beings that he is otherwise not a peer of)
Comprehend 3 (Read & Speak All Languages, Understood in All Languages)
Enhanced Trait 9 (Expertise (Arcane Lore) 6 (+10); Assessment, Beginner’s Luck, Eidetic Memory, Fearless, Jack-of-all-Trades, Well-informed)
Healing 9 (Energizing, Persistent, Restorative)
Movement 3 (Space Travel 3, Increased Mass 7, Limited to the planet Ram)
“Wisdom of the Star-Seers of Ram” Feature 2 (2 uses of Inspiration as if a Hero Point had been spent per session)
This is a bit of a nice addition, making him sort of require this for side-powers. It's something different from the usual, at least.
Again, more John Carter/Green Lantern influence here. A lot of good heroes in fiction I find tend to have some sort of useful "tool" they use to help solve more technical issues that can't simply be solved by punching bad guys. These sorts of powers can help drive a story, and I felt Meteor would be a bit too powerful if he had these sorts of abilities innately, like Supes or Captain Marvel might.
So I like some of what you've done with his past, because it alters the norm. Basically "What If?: Superman continued on", as he gains experience, "ascends" to Cosmic Champion, and leaves his old world behind. That the world was ruined in his absence gives him some gravitas, makes him not-quite-perfect.
Pretty much the whole idea. I feel like too many Superman writers and fans cling to this notion of him being "perfect," and I think that does a lot to contribute to why so many people don't care for him. It's bad enough that Supes is so powerful, but at least if he's not perfect, if he's capable of being wrong or wrong-headed, then he becomes a much better character; see JLU, or Kingdom Come. But what I hate is when folks write him as being an absolute paragon of skill and righteousness; I don't care how powerful or not your character is, characters who are written like that are boring at best. What made Jeff Loeb's Superman so hard to read was that not only was he at his most powerful since the Silver Age, but that he was just this completely perfect character in terms of skill and perspective, capable of performing almost any task and being almost always right about something. Only Batman could be allowed to equal or surpass him on those levels. He just could do no wrong, and that was so frustrating to me.
I also like that he's not your Main Character, giving him the "Superman in other people's books" thing, which is what many writers have noticed about DC- Superman comes off better in the books of OTHER characters, because the character is more effective when looked at as an icon, not a person.
Pretty much the whole point. While I've put a huge amount of thought and work into his backstory and character, at the end of the day he's meant to be that sort of "Superman as supporting character type thing"- if I was to do any stories focusing on him, I'd try to focus on his early career, where he was a bit weaker and more inexperienced and more akin to a pulp era space opera hero, or on his family life, an area where he is lacking compared to his other skills and experiences.
His list of Complications is so long I can barely keep track of it. It makes me wish your guys' info was easier to find- DA isn't the best since it uploads things piecemeal. Do you have direct links to mini-bios somewhere? It's easier to note who's more important or powerful that way.
Well, not everything; a lot of these names are making their debut here. But in time everything will be written up. I might do a quick glossary this week to help you out.
One thing I notice is that a lot of the villains tend to have names that don't really mean anything (or are just hard to say), kind of making them run together. I'm not one to talk- when left to my own devices, I often just throw "Cosmic-sounding" names onto baddies. But we've got Kagan, Apollyon, Eschaton, Negas, Oudeis, Skorpus, The Skarn, etc. I guess this is why Marvel had so many guys named Annihilus or Blastaar or something Silver Age-y like that- it's just hard to "nail down" these guys otherwise :).
Probably would help if you had a glossary. But pretty much all of the above have entries in Settings thread I linked to you earlier.
So is Harbringer like a Galactus-class dude? What with the killing of heroes and planets disappearing.
Actually, he's more like this confluence of Doomsday and the Silver Surfer: http://bsdigitalq.deviantart.com/art/TW ... -665988343

I'll get around to him when I start on Thunder Woman's rogues gallery.
The whole "August Star/Nemesis" thing interests me. Particularly her very personal stake in the battle- it makes things a little deeper than "this is the ultimate evil".
Yeah, Nemesis/Lady Nemesis is an interesting character. I'll eventually get to her and her pals in the "Overlords" down the road. She started out as this sort of parody of 90's Bad Girl characters like Lady Death and Avengalyn, but has morphed into what is essentially Injustice Wonder Woman, this very violent, almost bloodthirsty woman whose actions are nonetheless driven by a twisted sense of justice and what is right/wrong, as well as a form of love for the one person who could live up to her particular expectations.
Skorpus, as a "Failed Predecessor", works as a Mirror Image Villain of sorts. Also a living symbol of how badly that job can go wrong.
Bingo. Bit of a Black Adam type, fitting given Meteor's similarities to Captain Marvel. This kind of mirror image character is a great way of developing the hero by showing what he *could* become.
I like the bit with the Obsidian Shards- it's not exactly Kryptonite, because you can make a lot of weapons with it.
I *almost* didn't include these, but I felt I needed to have something around to give weaker villains a slight edge against the Captain. And while they *are* pretty devastating to him personally, they aren't the instant gamebreaker kryptonite can be. That was the annoying thing about that green rock: it just became so freaking common, almost always showing up, and it was an all or nothing thing with it, instead of being something where it only became truly effective and dangerous if you did certain things with it.
I like the thing with Megabeast & Stronghold. Very much like how you'd expect things to go in real life. I'm almost annoyed I didn't think of it first. And by "almost" I mean "I'm going to rip that off as soon as possible".
:lol: I mean, it makes sense that there would be real-life versions of battleboarders in a world where superheroes actually exist. And nobody can stand at the top without having challengers. Hell, there are quite a few heroes and villains that rival the good Captain, and I think that makes him a bit more palatable. Technically its the same case in DC, but none of those characters as powerful as Supes have the same "beyond 4th wall" power, where essentially Supes is the most powerful because of the readers and writers. Captain Meteor doesn't have that same "real world" power, and so can be challenged a bit more by other characters with comparable power.
(I'll do part 2 of my info thing later. No sense posting an entire essay at once :).)
I look forward to it. I'll try and abstain from posting more characters until we're done here.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh crap- I have to hurry then :). Okay, here goes:

It's interesting how he wants to settle down, but feels compelled to keep fighting. He's probably afraid to pass his burden on to another.

Jor Shugel is interesting- is he ageless? Is that just a function of their powers?

Wait... "Burroez" is one of the planets in the Trinarian system? Cheeky :).

Yeah, with his full origin, I'm definitely seeing some Flash Gordon/John Carter stuff mixed in with the Green Lantern/Lensman/Billy Batson thing (mystical overseers).

Various parts of this interest me (most of which I've gone into before). The whole "this is why Meteorite SHOULD have been" bit is cool. A superheroine who might be an ex (Aegis) could provide another subplot. This whole Complications list looks like you took a look at SuperStar's, Sailor Moon's & Elphaba's, and went "I can top that" :).
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:11 am Oh crap- I have to hurry then :).
No you don't. But that's fine. :)
It's interesting how he wants to settle down, but feels compelled to keep fighting. He's probably afraid to pass his burden on to another.
And between what happened with Skorpus and August Star, yeeeeeaah, he has plenty to worry about.
Jor Shugel is interesting- is he ageless? Is that just a function of their powers?
No, not ageless, just expanded enormously (to the point where the character functionally has Immunity: Aging in game terms).
Wait... "Burroez" is one of the planets in the Trinarian system? Cheeky :).
You caught one! With a few exceptions, all of the names are some form of reference, double-meaning, or allusion.
This whole Complications list looks like you took a look at SuperStar's, Sailor Moon's & Elphaba's, and went "I can top that" :).
And what's really funny is that the only one of those I read was SuperStar's, though I may have subconsciously noted how long it took to scroll past the other two.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

There's no way I know enough sci-fi to get all the references, but I want to try. Negas reminds me of Carl Sagen. Or is it Sagan?
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:02 am There's no way I know enough sci-fi to get all the references, but I want to try. Negas reminds me of Carl Sagen. Or is it Sagan?
That one's actually one of the few that isn't a reference.

Eschaton comes from the Greek word "eschatos", meaning "last," which is where "eschatology", the "study of last things", aka "the end of the world," comes from.

For Khagan Tsan, "khagan" is a title that means "Khan of Khans." It was actually Genghis Khan's title. "Tsan" is a Chinese name that means, approximately, "little evil". His dad, Malek Khan, is a tad more boring: Khan is fairly self-explanatory, and Malek is a common middle-eastern name that basically means "ruler."

Oudeis is an ancient Greek word that means "No One, Nothing At All". I encountered it during some hardcore readings into Greek mythology, and it's a word used as an alternative to "Chaos" in describing the primordial existence before creation.

The Skarn, Skorpus, and Negas are all made up names, though there was some logic to it; "Skarn" was modified from "scorn," to reflect the omnicidal attitude of the Skarn, who're a mixture of the Daleks and the War of the Worlds Martians (book, not movies); the Dictatron is a play on "dictator," and a shoutout to characters like Megatron and Ultron, although it is more akin to a mix of Brainiac and the Emperor Dalek, and is a far more minor character in the grand scheme of things outside of the Skarn Invasion.

Skorpus is not a particular reference to anything beyond maybe "scorpion."

Negas is just a shorthand of "negative." Again, no real big hidden meaning there.

The Trinarian system is an allusion to its three planets: Ram ("Mars" spelled backwards and sans the 's', and pronounced "rhom", as an allusion to "Space Knight Rom"), and Burroez (which you deduced). Ragnaroq is self-evident, a little cheeky allusion to Apokolips and how Eschaton is more or less Darkseid.

Princess Astrea gets her name from the Greek goddess of the same, which means "star-maiden." Her superhero name, "Virago," classically describes a woman who demonstrates exemplary and heroic qualities. But it can also carry negative connotations, which could make for allusions to future troubles.

The "Astralisman" is a portmanteau of "astral" and "talisman."

Captain Meteor's name, Raymond Rice, is a reference to Flash Gordon creator Alex Raymond and John Carter creator Edgar Rice Burroughs.

"Jor Shugel" is a hybridization of the names of Superman's creators, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Also sounds a lot like "Jor-El," Superman's father.

Orun the Anti-Lord has no particularly significance to his name, although it originally began as a modified version of "Urizen," from Peter Blake's mythology: "Uron." I think you can figure out why I changed it to Orun. The overall effect of "Orun the Anti-Lord" is an attempt at encapsulating a little of that Jack Kirby spirit.

"Svetlana Mir" is a rather interesting one. "Svetlana" is the Russian equivalent of "Lucy," which is a female variant of Lucian, which itself is ultimately derived from Lucifer. "Mir" can have multiple meanings depending on context, which is intentional on my part. It can mean "World," "Peace," or "Village," though I have encountered other meanings in older Russian texts. The thrice-removed allusion to Lucifer is a direct reference to Lucifer/Satan in "Paradise Lost," and Svetlana's similarities to him and his character arc, as well as her light-based powers (think, Monica Rambeau on steroids).

"Algernon Xidorn" is a reference to Algernon from "Flowers for Algernon," while "Xidorn" means "Truth Seeker."

That about covers all of the more odd names mentioned above. The stuff in the "Cosmology" entry in the Settings thread is a whole 'nother can of worms...
bsdigitalq

Kelkemet

Post by bsdigitalq »

KELKEMET
PL 12 (321)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 1 (+6)
Expertise (Space Traveler) 12 (+12)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 4 (+9)
Perception 4 (+5)
Technology 4 (+4)
Treatment 4 (+4)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages: 
Attractive 2, Beginner’s Luck, Close Attack 2, Daze (Attractive), Diehard, Evasion 2, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative 3, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 7, Seize Initiative, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge, Withstand Damage

Powers: 
“Perdix Physiology”
Immunity 17 (Aging, Fatigue Effects, Life Support, Sleep) [17]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Space) [2]
Quickness 2 [2]
Regeneration 5 [5]

“Universal Translator” Comprehend 2 (Languages 2- Understand All, You’re Understood) (Flaw: Removable) [2]

“Perdix Space-Time Manipulation Powers”
“Defy Gravity” Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
Senses 9 (Ranged Radius Detect Space-Time Effects, Extended Vision 6) [9]

“Warp Attacks Away” Deflect 17 (Extras: Redirection, Reflect) (51) – [55]
Dynamic AE: “Warp Dodge” Enhanced Trait 12 (Dodge +5, Parry +7) (12)
Dynamic AE: “Warp Field” Force Field 10 (Impervious 17) (27)

“Warp Attack” Teleport Attack 15 (25 tons over 120 miles move action/32,000 miles two move actions) (Extras: Accurate, Damaging, Easy, Extended, Increased Mass 10) (86) – [95]
  • AE: “Warp Travel” Teleport 19 (6 tons over 2000 miles move action/5 million miles two move actions) (Extras: Easy, Extended, Turnabout, Increased Mass 8) (85)
  • AE: “Warp Space Travel” Movement 2 (Space Travel 2) (4)
  • AE: “Warp Stasis” Affliction 12 (Resisted by Strength; Impaired/Hindered/Vulnerable, Disabled/Defenseless/Restrained, Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 240 ft Burst +4, Extra Condition 2, Selective) (Flaw: Instant Recovery) (84)
  • AE: “Warp Drop” Blast 12 (Extras: Area- 900 ft Cylinder +6) (Flaw: Requires large enough object/amount of matter to teleport) (84)
  • AE: “Warp Projectile Storm” Blast 13 (Extras: Accurate 2, Extended Range 10, Homing 2, Multiattack) (Flaw: Requires sufficient source of projectiles) (40)
  • AE: “Warp Strike” Damage 15 (Extras: Accurate, Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 15) (31)
  • AE: “Warp Strike Frenzy” Strength-based Damage 5 (Extras: Area- 2 mile Burst +10, Selective) (60)
  • AE: “Warp Grab” Move Object 12 (100 tons) (Extras: Area- 900 ft Burst +6, Reduced Range) (84)
  • AE: “Warp Lifting” Move Object 15 (25,000 tons) (Extras: Accurate, Extended Range 15, Increased Mass 5) (51)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Warp Strike/Attack +9 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Area Attacks (+12 Damage/Effect, DC 27/22)
Warp Projectile Storm +11 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +19

Defenses:
Dodge Up to +12/+7 (DC 22/17), Parry Up to +12/+5 (DC 22/15), Toughness Up to +17 (with +7 Dodge/Parry)/+7, Fortitude +18, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (Conquered Planet)- Kelkemet is not very well liked on the planet he conquered. He has amassed a considerable number of enemies there, and frequently fought off uprisings, coups, and assassination attempts. His whole trip to Earth was to take a break from all that nonsense

Hatred (Other Perdix)- Kelkemet, and the Perdix in general, have an innate, instinctual hatred of each other that overrides any rational thought. Their first thought is generally to tear each other apart on sight, though a male and female might “get it on” first before doing so. “Kel” is one of the few Perdix who is aware of just how sick the whole thing is.

Obsession (Thunder Woman)- Kelkemet considers Thunder Woman to be the perfect woman. He’ll always carry the torch for her. Before marrying Apextra, just about any interaction she had with him was some form of hare-brained scheme of his to get her to fall in love with him.

Phobia (Other Perdix)- Kelkemet is a below average example of his race. Given the innate interracial hatred, he knows that if he were to encounter another Perdix, he would likely die in the ensuing fight. A lot of the things Kelkemet does, and how he behaves, are based on avoiding this situation or covering up his fear.

Relationship (Apextra)- Kelkemet married Dominus’ daughter following the warlord’s invasion of Earth. He’s now beginning to understand a little more how Thunder Woman views him, but is still trying to make the marriage work.

Relationship (Thunder Woman)- The relationship between these two is...weird. “Kel” is madly infatuated with Thunder Woman (but *not* Samantha West), while she is absolutely not interested in him. But she did gain some appreciation for him after she saw him open up to his vulnerabilities and fears, and he has become a useful ally on a few occasions, such as when a pair of fellow Perdix attacked Newport, or during Dominus’ invasion of Earth.

Reputation (Perdix)- The Perdix are well known for their power and interracial hatred. You don’t have to be well known as a person, if you’re a Perdix, suddenly *everyone* is after you, whether to kill you or use you as a weapon.

Rivalry (Herakles)- Herakles does not appreciate the way Kelkemet humiliated him in their first encounter, and would like to pay Kelkemet back. Kel seems to be ignorant of this, though he might just be playing dumb.

Rivalry (Thunder Woman’s paramours)- As he is madly in love with Thunder Woman, Kelkemet is well aware that he is not alone in his affections for her, and he has gone after some of Samantha’s other male significants before, much to her chagrin.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 28 / Powers: 195 / Defenses: 16 (321)

Kelkemet is a member of the extremely powerful extraterrestrial race known as the Perdix. The Perdix genetically perfected themselves in the distant past, granting themselves powers over space and time that allow them to freely wander the universe without any need for technology or sustenance. Unfortunately, the Perdix are also willful and individualistic, and these powers resulted in a diaspora, spreading the Perdix across the universe.

When Kelkemet arrived on Earth he did so with the intention of bringing it to heel, until he encountered Thunder Woman and promptly fell in love with her. His obsession changed his plans, and he made every attempt he could to impress or win her over, much to the chagrin of *everyone* on Earth, most especially Samantha herself. He even took her to another planet that he had conquered, only for them to be captured when the race he had conquered revealed themselves to now be armed with weapons that could harm even Kelkemet. In the ensuing captivity and later overthrow of the upstarts, Samantha was able to convince Kelkemet that nothing he could do would change her, but that she did appreciate when he legitimately help him, and he willingly returned her to Earth.

He would be an occasional ally, returning to Earth to help stop the assault of the Perdix duo of Talleba and Sibrix, and then later form a part of Thunder Woman's strike team against Dominus' invasion force, where Kelkemet would be key to providing a peaceful solution to hostilities by marrying Dominus' daughter, Apextra, after she assumed leadership of her father's forces following his death. Together, they now rule the Pale Dominion, though Kelkemet still carries a bit of a torch for Thunder Woman...
Last edited by bsdigitalq on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey, another one! Neat-o!

PL 12 and 321 points and he's one of the WEAKER examples of his race?!?

It's funny how both of our Lady Paragons have guys whose gimmick is that they want to bone the lady. I guess attractive women DO have this problem in real life, though :).

I like the "Deflect" power. Such a great thing to put on a villain- it'd be SO annoying to have happen to you in a fight.

The whole "Warping Space" thing is as neat concept, too. Most Space guys just end up being Space-Superman/Silver Surfer hybrids, so this is something new. So his power also allows him to speed stuff up, making him a Blaster/Object Thrower, too?

Wow, that Fortitude Save is HIGH.

heh, you mentioned Herakles being a bit of a "Worf" in TW comics, right? Remembering that here made me chuckle at his mention.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:47 amPL 12 and 321 points and he's one of the WEAKER examples of his race?!?
I envisioned the Perdix as being this race of "Herald of Galactus" level beings who're only held back by their mutual, self-destructive hatred of one another. I'd say your average Perdix is about PL13, with their elite fighters being PL15-16 cosmic threats.
It's funny how both of our Lady Paragons have guys whose gimmick is that they want to bone the lady. I guess attractive women DO have this problem in real life, though :).
I'm generally a fan of the concept of antagonists who aren't out and out villains.
I like the "Deflect" power. Such a great thing to put on a villain- it'd be SO annoying to have happen to you in a fight.
Given the nature of Perdix powers, it only makes sense that even someone like Kelkemet would have something like this. Plus, as you said, it adds to his annoyance factor.
The whole "Warping Space" thing is as neat concept, too. Most Space guys just end up being Space-Superman/Silver Surfer hybrids, so this is something new. So his power also allows him to speed stuff up, making him a Blaster/Object Thrower, too?
Basically, Perdix have the power to stretch or compress the space-time continuum, increasing/decreasing the distances between two points. It usually manifests in an odd mix of gravity/telekinesis and teleportation style powers and techniques. For example, "Warp Attack" does not literally teleport the target, but is rather Kelkemet immensely increasing the distance between himself and his target, essentially flinging them at luminal velocities away from him. That's why its damaging; the target is not being literally teleported, but instead propelled to a certain point, *through* anything that might be between it and the target destination. Kelkemet's humiliation of Herakles was when he basically did this to Herakles, sending him *through* the entire globe with a light fingertap.
Wow, that Fortitude Save is HIGH.
Yeah, the idea is that the Perdix have physically perfected themselves, and so are immensely hardy and tough to affect even without their warp powers.
heh, you mentioned Herakles being a bit of a "Worf" in TW comics, right? Remembering that here made me chuckle at his mention.
This is pretty much the main instance of Herakles getting Worfed. Like, whenever anyone recalls Herakles getting utterly curbstomped, most characters will recall his first encounter with Kelkemet and him getting sent *through* the entire planet.
bsdigitalq

Mazdak

Post by bsdigitalq »

MAZDAK
PL 11 (258), PL 13 (258) Dispelling Influence
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 8 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 4 (+9)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Current Events) 7 (+12)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+12)
Expertise (Theology) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Zoroastrianism) 12 (+17)
Insight 8 (+16)
Investigation 3 (+8)
Perception 8 (+16)
Persuasion 3 (+8)
Stealth 5 (+10)
Treatment 7 (+12)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Close Attack 2, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Persuasion), Fearless, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Inspire 2, Instant Up, Languages 2 (Arabic, English, Farsi), Leadership, Move-by Action, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Seize Initiative, Takedown, Trance, Ultimate Insight, Ultimate Will Save

Powers: 
“Mental Mastery”
Enhanced Traits 8 (Dodge +2, Parry +2; Defensive 3, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment)) [8]
Senses 12 (Danger Sense, Mental Awareness- Acute, Radius, Extended 4, Precognition) [12]
Quickness 2 (Flaw: Limited to Mental Tasks) [1]

“Telekinetically-boosted Movement”
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

“Mazdak’s Staff” Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Reach- 5 ft) (Flaw: Easily Removable) [2]

“Zoroastrian Mysticism-based Mental Abilities”
"Mental Restoration" Healing 10 (Extras: Energizing, Restorative, Stabilize) (41) -- [49]
  • AE: “Psychokinetically Boosted Staff Damage” Damage 6 (Extras: Feature: Damage counts as divine magic, Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 8, Stacks with Mazdak’s Staff) (Flaw: Limited to Mazdak’s Staff) (14)
  • AE: “Repel Attacks” Deflect 13 (Extras: Redirection, Reflect) (Flaw: Reduced Range) (26)
  • AE: “Suggestive Compulsion" Affliction 6 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Compelled) (Extras: Area- Audio Perception, Selective, Subtle) (Flaw: Limited Degree) (13)
  • AE: “Empathy" Mind Reading 11 (Flaw: Limited to Emotions) (11)
  • AE: “Psychokinesis" Move Object 11 (50 tons) (Extras: Perception Range, Precise, Subtle) (35)
  • AE: “Repel Dark Influences" Nullify Evil Influence 13 (Extras: Area- Perception, Simultaneous) (Flaws: Distracting, Tiring) (13)
  • AE: “Extra-Sensory Perception" Remote Sensing 20 (4000 miles) (Flaws: Defenseless) (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Staff +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Boosted Staff, +13 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Nullify (+13 Effect, DC 23)
Suggestion (+6 Effect, DC 16)
Area Effect (+11 Effect, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13/+11 (DC 23/21), Parry +13/+11 (DC 23/21), Toughness +8/+5, Fortitude +8, Will +14

Complications:
Responsibility (Zoroastrian Priest)- Mazdak has a duty to maintain his responsibilities within the Zoroastrian order.

Responsibility (Protecting the oppressed)- The combination of his powers and his position as a Zoroastrian priest, along with his own innate moral code, compels Mazdak to fight for and protect people from villains like Marek or the oppression of the Iranian government.

Relationship (Thunder Woman)- Mazdak has taken on a role of occasional mentor figure for Thunder Woman, hoping that his wisdom can’t help inspire her to greater heights and thwart the evils that he himself cannot confront.

Relationship (Heroes of Iran/Middle-East)- Mazdak keeps close ties with a wide range of heroes, especially those in Iran, like the Firekeeper, Abu Nowruz, and Mother Simorq. He is also more loosely connected with heroes like Sandstorm and the duo of Marduk and Ishtar.

Enemy (Marek al-Dajjal, Az’Dahak)- As a Zoroastrian priest and servant of the will of Ahura Mazda, Mazdak is naturally opposed to the leader of the cult of Ahriman and the demonic being spawned from the Zoroastrian aspect of evil.

Enemy (Iran Government)- The Iranian government has regularly persecuted or marginalized those in the Zoroastrian community. Combined with their “zero tolerance” policy toward non-Muslim and non-government extraordinaries, they are thus at odds with Mazdak, who does his best to defend those in his care from the government.

Rivalry (Mosaver)- Of the members of the Iranian superteam Qahramanan-e Enqelab that he frequently clashes with, Mosaver “The Counselor” is Mazdak’s archrival, what with both men being clerics within their religious orders who believe that they are fighting for what is right and protecting the innocent from evil.

Total: Abilities: 92 / Skills: 81--40 / Advantages: 37 / Powers: 74 / Defenses: 15 (258)

Mazdak is a senior Zoroastrian mobed (priest) from Iran who generally operates throughout the Middle East, espousing the doctrines of his faith while helping whoever he may. He does not consider himself a hero, merely a servant, and most Middle Eastern governments and organizations consider him an outright criminal, especially in Iran, where there is a warrant for his arrest to be carried out by Qahramanan-e Enqelab, Iran's resident superteam. This does not deter him though.

He is a frequent ally of Thunder Woman whenever Samantha is in the Middle East to acquire and protect precious artifacts and items of antiquity, along with the Egyptian heroine Sandstorm. He mostly assists her in situations involving a mutual enemy of their's: the Cult of Ahriman and its leader, Marek al-Dajjal.

His greatest contribution to Thunder Woman's career was sheltering her during the period when Thunder Woman was an internationally wanted fugitive, where he helped her to overcome the manipulations of the Children of Ares in a terrific battle on the astral plane in her mind, even after they attempted an alliance with Marek to stop him. Had Mazdak not been there to tend to Samantha's mind and battle the influence of the Children, it is likely she would have gone completely insane, effectively ending her career. For that alone she is in his eternal debt, and returns the favor by helping Mazdak and other Iranian heroes like the Firekeeper, Abu Nowruz, and Mother Simorq.
Last edited by bsdigitalq on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Mazdak

Post by Jabroniville »

bsdigitalq wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:27 pm Image
Neat design- I like how it's kind of simple, but has the golden accents and details that can "pop" a little. His staff says "Mage", too.
MAZDAK
PL 11 (258), PL 13 (258) Dispelling Influence
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 8 PRESENCE 5
Wow, pretty high Fighting score for a Wizard-ish guy.
Skills:
Deception 4 (+9)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Current Events) 7 (+12)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+12)
Expertise (Theology) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Zoroastrianism) 12 (+17)
Insight 8 (+16)
What does a "Zoroastrianism" Skill get you? Also, wow, dig those people skills.
Powers: 
“Mental Mastery”
Enhanced Traits 8 (Dodge +2, Parry +2; Defensive 3, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment)) [8]
Senses 12 (Danger Sense, Mental Awareness- Acute, Radius, Extended 4, Precognition) [12]
Quickness 2 (Flaw: Limited to Mental Tasks) [1]

“Telekinetically-boosted Movement”
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

“Mazdak’s Staff” Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Reach- 5 ft) (Flaw: Easily Removable) [2]

“Zoroastrian Mysticism-based Mental Abilities”
"Mental Restoration" Healing 10 (Extras: Energizing, Restorative, Stabilize) (41) -- [49]
  • AE: “Psychokinetically Boosted Staff Damage” Damage 6 (Extras: Feature: Damage counts as divine magic, Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 8, Stacks with Mazdak’s Staff) (Flaw: Limited to Mazdak’s Staff) (14)
  • AE: “Repel Attacks” Deflect 13 (Extras: Redirection, Reflect) (Flaw: Reduced Range) (26)
  • AE: “Suggestive Compulsion" Affliction 6 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Compelled) (Extras: Area- Audio Perception, Selective, Subtle) (Flaw: Limited Degree) (13)
  • AE: “Empathy" Mind Reading 11 (Flaw: Limited to Emotions) (11)
  • AE: “Psychokinesis" Move Object 11 (50 tons) (Extras: Perception Range, Precise, Subtle) (35)
  • AE: “Repel Dark Influences" Nullify Evil Influence 13 (Extras: Area- Perception, Simultaneous) (Flaws: Distracting, Tiring) (13)
  • AE: “Extra-Sensory Perception" Remote Sensing 20 (4000 miles) (Flaws: Defenseless) (20)
Quite the Mage build here, but with the "Mental" stuff that makes him seem a bit different from the "usual".

Neat concept for the character- I know next to nothing about Zoroastrianism- just that it's an ancient, Pre-Muslim religion in a land that now doesn't really allow much else to inhabit its borders. That a superhero would believe in it seems to be a natural.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bsdigitalq

Re: Mazdak

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:50 amNeat design- I like how it's kind of simple, but has the golden accents and details that can "pop" a little. His staff says "Mage", too.
It's more or less what the Zoroastrian priests wear, with some artistic liberties:

Wow, pretty high Fighting score for a Wizard-ish guy.
Well, he's more of a psychic martial artist than your standard wizard type- I based him more on the Jedi than your typical comic book sorcerer.
What does a "Zoroastrianism" Skill get you?
It basically lets you know everything about the Zoroastrian religion, mythology, and arcane lore specific to it- essentially, Mazdak knows a lot about the forces he's up against, even moreso than his fellow priests.
Quite the Mage build here, but with the "Mental" stuff that makes him seem a bit different from the "usual".
A lot of the concept is that he's essentially a low-key martial artist type who boosts his abilities using psychic powers, with the more esoteric powers reserved for situations outside combat, or against forces that can't simply be punched. Again, very much unlike your typical comic book wizard, and something more akin to the jedi in Star Wars.
Neat concept for the character- I know next to nothing about Zoroastrianism- just that it's an ancient, Pre-Muslim religion in a land that now doesn't really allow much else to inhabit its borders. That a superhero would believe in it seems to be a natural.
Yeah, it's an often underutilized setting and detail, largely owing to a mixture of ignorance and disinterest from Western writers and readers IMO. I came up with the concept for Marek al-Dajjal first; Mazdak was my way of giving Thunder Woman someone who could be her "guide" and educator. Also, I needed someone to help her out with the Children of Ares, as I just could not see Samantha overcoming their mental assault on her on her own; Green Lantern or Batman, she ain't.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

ahhhhhh, I see the effects of that in his powers- the Compulsion thing is the "Jedi Mind Trick", and he can even wield his staff sorta like a Lightsaber.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

I've liked Ahura Mazda and his brood since reading about them in Pantheons of the Megaverse. I love the Jedi aspects.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.