World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
RainOnTheSun

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Fyirwhrx! Nero! The Beacon! The Scarab and the Ankh!

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I have a very silly image in my head of a Mr. Infamy task force that's a machine, or a spell, that somehow detects when Mr. Infamy is trying to make a deal, and a task force of radical dudes who speed to the scene and talk people out of accepting it. Like at the end of a G.I. Joe episode or an afterschool special about drugs.

Mr. Infamy: Say the word, child. All your enemies will be as shadows and ash. All that you desire, all your secret longings will...

Taskforce 1: WHOOOOAAA! Check yourself before you wreck yourself, my dude! I need to "rap" with you before you make a big mistake!

Mr. Infamy: What

Taskforce 2: I know what it's like, bro! You're "kicking it" with your crew, and you think it'll make you cool if you strike a bargain with the forces of darkness! But let me give it to you straight, homey: The forces of darkness are NOT COOL!

Taskforce 1: True that!

Taskforce 2: What's REALLY cool is being your own person, and living above the influence of evil incarnate! And don't take MY word for it: just listen to this popular television celebrity!

Popular television celebrity: Yo, whassup!

Shock

Post by Shock »

Saying "No" to Mr Infamy is half the battle!
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:30 am
Shock wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:52 pm
Between Auntie Charlie and Uncle Zalman, that's going to be a whole of ... alternative education.
Just think of what will happen when the aunts and uncles from the other side of the family start showing up.
I can't decide if they'd think Robin or Charlie is more difficult to deal with.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Shock wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:52 pm It sounds like an incredibly frustrating assignment. By the time you've got wind that he's done something, it's actually two schemes in the past.
Indeed. How long before he starts doing things just to mess with the team?

Of course I'm not sure what the rules are for his existence, but I am confidant he can't actively act against people.
However offering their loved ones powers, or offering other people power with a favor due later. I suspect there will be a reckoning in the future once he stops finding it amusing.
Shock wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:12 am I can't decide if they'd think Robin or Charlie is more difficult to deal with.
Robin. Definitely Robin.
Shock wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:00 am Saying "No" to Mr Infamy is half the battle!
The other half is being smart enough to not attack him.
Let's just hope this taskforce doesn't try to capture him.
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:54 am I have a very silly image in my head of a Mr. Infamy task force that's a machine, or a spell, that somehow detects when Mr. Infamy is trying to make a deal, and a task force of radical dudes who speed to the scene and talk people out of accepting it. Like at the end of a G.I. Joe episode or an afterschool special about drugs.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Author's Note: Insomnia sucks. Also, this character was created by Arkrite.

Zane

Born Fredrick Astrovik Zane in 1974 to a pair of distant but wealthy parents, Zane was as well-adjusted individual as one could expect, considering he was given money instead of attention, and more money instead of parental love. A bright child, he learned quickly that money couldn't buy everything, but that by investing it correctly he could get the things he truly desired: power and attention. And of course more money. Hard to give up childhood toys, after all.

At the age of 19, however, things changed. An annoying buzz that had followed him since birth started turning into annoying voices. After a quick trip to the therapist he discovered three things. One, he wasn't insane. Two, he could read minds. Three, his psychologist spent their sessions thinking about sleeping with his secretary. One fired therapist later (and a date with the previously mentioned secretary) he was on his way to greatness.

His personal attempts at the original design of technology fell to the wayside as he learned to harness his powers. At first, he simply used to get a leg up on negotiations, and to know exactly what to say to get a woman in bed. Soon he realized the true potential of his ability when combined with his photographic memory and his solid grasp of technology. All he had to do was a read a scientist or engineer's mind for the schematics, bring them back to his own company, repurpose it for his own usages and market it as his own. It's surprising how often you can get away with this when you make the effort to avoid building exactly the same thing and bringing it out at the exact same time.

Most people could have been happy with that. His company was growing by leaps and bounds, especially since he saved almost all the money that would have been spent on development. When asked how he came up with these ideas he simply passed it off as his being another genius level intellect in a world already filled with them. But he wasn't happy with what he had achieved. He wanted more. Because people who have money and power always crave more. Also he seemed to be the only sane person on the planet, so why shouldn't he be in charge? And who needs armies when you can just simply own everything?

Before his downfall he was starting to plan for bigger and better things. He started buying stocks in other companies. His goal was to own every last business he could, by hook or by crook, and set himself up in a monopoly. From there he could dominate the government with his control over their technological and medical resources. And then, of course, would come the unmasking, the consolidation of all his assets, and controlling the world through his semi-benevolent corporate empire!

And he would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those darned meddling kids. In 2007, during a celebration and media gathering at one of his newest purchased companies, Elite and Changeling snuck in to have some fun in the festivities, unaware that some assassins from Elite's past were planning on making an example out of his friend. Zane, scanning through the crowd for useful tidbits of knowledge he could steal, came across an assassin planning on pulling a gun and shooting Changeling in the back just before he did it. Without thinking he yelled "He's got a gun" and tackled Changeling out of the way before she could get shot.

The shot missed by inches, Elite saved the day, and as he helped the grateful young woman from the ground she looks at him, smiled and said, "Wow, you must have been psychic!"

And that's when his entire world crashed down around him. Footage of the event showed him moving before the gunman had even started pulling his gun, putting the final nails in the coffin of his plans for a subtle world take over. Suddenly, every company he'd ever had dealings with where they came out second best was pressing charges against him for something: illegal business practices, theft, corporate espionage, mind control, invasion of privacy, anything and everything that might get them some tiny piece of the proverbial golden goose.

What's left of his empire was a pitiful ghost of what he used to have. Everything else ended up either being lost in court, lost outside of court to avoid more criminal charges, taken from him by alarmed shareholders, or simply confiscated by the government while they complete their investigations. While he was lucky enough to avoid any major charges, he was looking at more than ten years in jail, wearing a giant helmet that stopped his powers, and left him feeling like he'd lost an arm or a leg ... or the same amount of time serving in Project Freedom.

It was no real choice whatsoever.

Zane was in for quite a few surprises in his time at Project Freedom. From his first day foreward he was recruited into a conspiracy with the Director, Harriet Wainwright, that left him terrified at her audacity. He often rubbed his fellow inmates the wrong way, and they him, which led to the hilarious development of him being placed in charge, which in turn led to him developing feelings of responsibility towards the members of the Project. Completely to his surprise, he found himself falling in love for the first time in his life, with veteran Ex-Con Toxic -- or Rachel, as he became one of the few people to call her with her permission.

Given opportunities to engage in research and development of his own, Zane rediscovered his fascination with technology. Once he found himself granted a pardon thanks to his extraordinarily meritorious acts on several missions, he was free to resume his business dealings -- and, having learned a lesson or two in the process, doing so with greater honesty than he had in the past. He also managed to finagle a job as the reformed Project Freedom's technology consultant, so that he could remain close to Rachel while she continued her struggle to complete her sentence.

SaneTech, his rebranded company, was one of the major medical technology companies in North America by 2012. While managing it took up the lion's share of Zane's time, he also became known in the superheroic community as one of the people to turn to for medical assistance -- hence his title as 'the Doctor'. Through it all, he has maintained a one-sided rivalry with the Freedom Leaguer Daedelus, whose technology is always just that little bit better than his own. Often learning that Daedelus is involved in something will motivate Zane to take an interest despite his better instincts.

When Rachel discovered she was pregnant with their child in December of 2014, Zane went through several waves of panic. Unfortunately, their relationship had been permitted to continue only as long as they didn't do anything to draw official attention to themselves, and this definitely qualified. When Toxic revealed her condition to the Director of Project Freedom and also the identity of the father, Zane found himself dismissed from his position as the Project's tech consultant and separated from Rachel for a few months. Ultimately, the two were reunited before Zane completely lost his mind, and he was in the delivery room when she gave birth to Billie, their child.

Zane is probably one of the most powerful telepaths on Earth at this point, slightly more powerful than Chase Atom, whom he's actually taught a few things. However, Chase's power has not yet reached its full potential, while Zane has been at his maximum output for several years now. The upshot of this is that he's also being sought out as a teacher by telepaths of many motivations ... not all of whom care about his consent to teach them.

Zane - PL 12

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 1 | AGL 0 | DEX 0 | FGT 8 | INT 9 | AWE 3 | PRE 3
Powers: Antigravity Ring (Movement 1 [slow fall], Removable), "Bugout Belt" (Teleport 5, Extra Mass 3, Removable), HW Protean Mark IV (Array: Ranged Damage 5, AP: Strength-based Damage 10, Easily Removable), Psychic Awareness (acute mental awareness, communication link with Toxic, danger sense, uncanny dodge), Telepathy (Array: Cumulative Mind Reading 12, Subtle 2, AP: Mental Communication 5, Dimensional 3, Rapid 9, Subtle 2, AP: Selective Burst Area 9 Affects Others and Self Mental Communication 2, Subtle 2, AP: Ranged Affliction 12 [Resisted by Will; Impaired, Disabled, Paralyzed], Accurate 2, Improved Critical 2, Reversible, Subtle 2; AP: Area 3 Illusion 4 [all senses], AP: Remote Sensing 27 [auditory, visual], Medium [readable minds], Subtle 2, AP: Damage 12, Alternate Resistance [Will], Accurate 2, Affects Insubstantial 2, Reversible), Telekinesis (Array: Continuous Move Object 7, Precise, AP: Enhanced Defenses [Dodge 8, Parry 4] AND Sustained Protection 10, AP: Moveable Create 7, Precise).
Advantages: Benefit (Wealth 3 [millionaire]), Connected, Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Ranged Attack 8, Speed of Thought, Ultimate Effort (Will Saves), Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed
Skills: Deception 14 (+17), Expertise: Business 8 (+17), Expertise: Law 4 (+13), Expertise: Science 6 (+15), Expertise: Teacher 4 (+13), Insight 6 (+9), Investigation 1 (+10), Perception 2 (+5), Persuasion 7 (+10), Technology 13 (+22), Treatment 7 (+16)
Offense: Initiative +9, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 2), Null Field Jian +8 (Close Damage 12), Null Field Pistol +8 (Ranged Damage 5), Brain Freeze +12 (Ranged Will 12), Psychic Weapon +12 (Close Damage 12, Resisted by Will).
Defense: Dodge 12/4, Parry 12/8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 11/1, Will 16
Totals: Abilities 52 + Powers 100 + Advantages 17 + Skills 36 + Defenses 24 = 229 points
Complications: Discovery--Motivation. Friendship (Changeling, others). Relationship (Rachel Baldwin, Billie). Reputation. Rivalry (DAEDELUS!!!!).
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

So Zane's pretty much a high-level evil mastermind-type who got nipped in the bud.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Voltron64 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:23 pm So Zane's pretty much a high-level evil mastermind-type who got nipped in the bud.
Theoretically nipped anyway. I'm not convinced ;}
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Shock wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:52 pm
Voltron64 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:23 pm So Zane's pretty much a high-level evil mastermind-type who got nipped in the bud.
Theoretically nipped anyway. I'm not convinced ;}
I had originally planned on making Zane the most evil monster in existence.
Some will insist that I succeeded ;~)

But yes, that is an accurate description of what Zane was when he joined the game.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 am
Except nobody who saved Changeling's life could possibly be all bad. :P
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:01 am
Arkrite wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 am
Except nobody who saved Changeling's life could possibly be all bad. :P
It's true. Zane may have been (maybe still is) an unrepentant jerk but he was all talk. He actually cared about people, which is a terrible thing for an evil mastermind to do.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 am
It's true. Zane may have been (maybe still is) an unrepentant jerk but he was all talk. He actually cared about people, which is a terrible thing for an evil mastermind to do.
And even if not for Changeling, he was probably right on the verge of having the Labyrinth muscle in on his company, and I just don't see him collaborating with an ancient cult of human sacrifice, somehow.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Shock wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 am It's true. Zane may have been (maybe still is) an unrepentant jerk but he was all talk. He actually cared about people, which is a terrible thing for an evil mastermind to do.
Ah, but isn't that how the most tragic villains start? With the belief that they are doing the right thing, good intentions, and a sliding scale of morality as they do worse and worse things. For the good of the people.

But yeah, you are right. Zane's caring about people was supposed to be his redeeming quality, hence why his original plan was designed to be bloodless.
I imagined after the little white room, and his fall from grace he was primed for going down a darker path, using those around him to reach his ends.
Of course Wainright seemed to play him like a fiddle, making him the leader of the team and playing on his pride.

Before the team was full of people who were nice enough, but after it was his team they were his people. And suddenly he was far more invested in their well being. This didn't really make his relationships with them better, he was largely more fond of them than they were of him by the end (not that he hadn't earned their ire).

Amusingly this one redeeming feature is what both puts him down a darker path at the beginning, and in the end leads to his happy ending.
Davies wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:39 am And even if not for that, he was probably right on the verge of having the Labyrinth muscle in on his company, and I just don't see him collaborating with an ancient cult of human sacrifice, somehow.
Oh god, I can only imagine how badly that would have ended for Zane.
It's a good thing he's made some powerful friends and contacts.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Next Up: Zalman Reborn.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies, I forgot to commend you on getting Robin's daughter's name right. I think I only mentioned her mother's name once or maybe twice.