World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Freedom Legion Members! And Enemies! The Old Guard!

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 am
MacynSnow wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:05 am Intresting character,what does his other dad do for a living,if the one runs a shop?
Janitorial work.

If it was interesting, I'd have mentioned it in the article. :)
I like having alot of npc detail(i've been gming way to many rl games,apparently)....;)
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Huntsman

Tied to a rock to keep himself standing, he stared with fading vision at his final enemies in the distance -- for they were bold enough to strike down two of the greatest loves of his life, but not near bold enough to come face to face with him, as weak as he was. He knew he shouldn't feel as unhappy as he did. He had crafted a legend that might well outlive Ulster itself, and if it ended unhappily, well, no man escaped his dán. But he did find himself annoyed and unsettled at how it had all worked out. And then he heard a voice -- he thought it might be that of the one everyone claimed was his father -- that offered him more, and he'd have been a far greater fool than he already was to refuse.

So began another life of endless war, summoned to battles across the ages by wizards. He stopped using the name they'd given him in half mockery just as he'd stopped using the name they'd given him as a boy. Why bother to be known by such a title, when half the time the wizard who called him up spoke not a word of the language and couldn't appreciate the jest in that name? They called him Spearman, for the most part, since that was what he was, but those who made use of his warp frenzy often came up with other names. He knew who he was. Let them call him what they wanted.

He had to obey the word of the mage who summoned him, which could be annoying at times. But he found that he had a great latitude in how to go about obeying that word, as long as the mages -- who tended to be bigger cowards than the bastards who'd killed him -- stayed well back from the front lines. And he had to admit that having those instructions feeling like iron in his head helped him to learn to master the warp frenzy, so that he now knew friend from foe when it came upon him.

The last time he was called up, he was pleased to find himself in Ireland, not so pleased to find that they were still fighting amongst each other as they had been in his time. One bunch of them wanted him to fight some fellow called the Pugilist, whom they said was no true Irishman. The fight was one of the most enjoyable he'd ever had, all the more so for the way that the other man called a break in the middle and invited him to have something called Guiness. Wonderful stuff! The man offering it to him had to be a true Irishman! He almost didn't mind losing that time.

This time, he's not sure what to make of his circumstances. On the one hand, there's a maid who looks so near to Mebh as to almost make his head spin, and she's a witch besides, and has the rule of him. So that's not what he calls fun. On the other hand, she works with a lad who has the same weird scent of sanctity as some of those monks he fought that one time. The boy's not yet made any signs to drive him off, so he feels inclined to take the lad seriously for a while. And how the two of them go on! The phrase 'get a room, you two' keeps floating through his head, and he's fairly sure it means what he thinks it means, but he's held off on saying it. Would probably wreck his image.

Ah well. The fights should be interesting.

The Huntsman -- PL 12

Abilities: STR 7 | STA 8 | AGL 6 | DEX 4 | FGT 12 | INT 1 | AWE 5 | PRE 3
Powers: Hound's Senses (Senses 4 [acute tracking olfactory, low-light vision, ultrasonic hearing]), Spear of Piercing (Strength-based Damage 3; Ranged Damage 12, Accurate 2, Diminished Range; Easily Removable), Swiftness (Array: Speed 8, AP: Leaping 8; Movement 2 [wall-crawling 2], Only When Moving), Undying Spark (Immunity 10 [aging, cold, disease, heat, poison, pressure, radiation, suffocation, vacuuum]; Impervious Toughness 8), Warp-Frenzy (Linked Growth 5 and Sustained Immunity 10 [interaction skills, emotion effects], Standard Action)
Advantages: All-Out Attack, Assessment, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical 4 (Spear), Inspire, Language (English, Irish Gaelic is native), Power Attack, Ritualist, Startle, Takedown 2, Ultimate Effort (Toughness checks).
Skills: Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 6 (+13), Close Combat: Spear 2 (+14), Expertise: Magic 6 (+7), Expertise: Outdoorsman 8 (+9), Insight 10 (+12), Intimidation 12 (+15), Perception 10 (+12), Ranged Combat: Spear 4 (+8).
Offense: Initiative +6, Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 12/7), Spear +14 (Close Damage 10, Crit 16-20), Thrown Spear +12 (Ranged Damage 12, Crit 16-20).
Defense: Dodge 12/10, Parry 12/10, Fortitude 13/8, Toughness 13/8, Will 10.
Totals: Abilities 92 + Powers 68 + Advantages 15 + Skills 32 + Defenses 11 = 218 points
Complications: Obedience to Master--Motivation. Power Loss (cannot use the Spear of Piercing or Swiftness when the Warp Frenzy is upon him). Thrillseeker.
Last edited by Davies on Thu May 17, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Nothing under complications about being forbidden to eat dog meat but also unable to refuse an offered meal?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yojimbo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:36 am Nothing under complications about being forbidden to eat dog meat but also unable to refuse an offered meal?
He doesn't have those gesae anymore, whether due to so much time passing since he lived or the magic he's been entangled in since. (He was actually introduced to hot dogs recently in this summoning, and he just loves 'em.)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Rose II

Rose Rhett has done her level best to forget her life before age six, when Child Protective Services put her in foster care. Her new parents weren't paragons of loving kindness, but she's sure that they must have been better than what she had before. They didn't adopt her, but they did let her use their name, instead of her old one, when she registered at Claremont Academy after her mutant powers showed up. She suspects that they might have agreed to most anything to get her away from them.

While psychokinesis is a fairly common power, Rose's use of it as a way of sensing the world around her as accurately as a thousand pairs of eyes has marked her out as something special. She hopes to one day be qualified to join the Next Gen. Actually, that's a bit inaccurate ... she hoped to be qualified to join the Next Gen as soon as the most recent team formed, but was told that she was still just a bit too young, despite her versatile power set. She accepted this, even though it left her feeling a tremendous sense of abandonment.

Discussing this in student counselling led to her being diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, and starting a course of medication and therapy to help her address that. So far, she's learned to recognize when she's "splitting" through mindful awareness of black and white thinking during those periods. It's a constant struggle, but she hopes to set a good example for other students at Claremont who might have mental health challenges ... ideally the sort of good example that ends up on the Next Gen. In some ways, she hasn't made much progress at all.

In the meanwhile, Rose has started to use her powers to help out in her community. She chose her 'hero name' to make it easier to remember, having heard horror stories about novice superheroes who failed to remember their alias when someone was shouting it. The fact that there was another, deceased psychic superheroine by that name made it even more appealing. In the process, she's found herself running up against the Starblights (see Rogue's Gallery). Rose has found that she can handle the members of the magical girl gang one on one, but they are very rarely willing to give her that handleable scenario. Some help would be very welcome.

So far, Rose has shown no signs of any telepathic talents, so she wonders why she keeps having dreams of another girl, with hair as dark as ebony, eyes as blue as the sky, and skin as white as snow ... who looks a bit like Rose's own reflection.

Rose II -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 0 | STA 3 | AGL 1 | DEX 1 | FGT 3 | INT 1 | AWE 2 | PRE 1
Powers: Psychokinesis (Perception Range Damaging Move Object 8, Subtle), Sensors (Senses 7 [accurate acute extended 2 radius ranged mental sense]), Shields (Sustained Impervious Protection 8).
Advantages: Attractive, Second Chance (Mind Control), Teamwork.
Skills: Athletics 2 (+2), Deception 5 (+6), Insight 5 (+7), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+5).
Offense: Initiative +1, Unarmed +3 (Close Damage 0), Psychokinesis -- (Perception Range Damaging Move Object 8).
Defense: Dodge 5, Parry 5, Fortitude 6, Toughness 11/3, Will 6
Totals: Abilities 24 + Powers 56 + Advantages 3 + Skills 10 + Defense 13 = 106 points
Complications: Recognition--Motivation. Borderline Personality Disorder. Secret Identity (sort of).
Last edited by Davies on Thu May 17, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 pm The Huntsman, eh?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=73Wb14NZ01E

:mrgreen:
Well, he does have strength and speed and very shiny teeth, as the picture above shows.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Nice Rose II,davies! I especially like how you've got her background linked to Claremont,as it allows for PC intros if they go there....
Davies

Post by Davies »

Thank you, and she's the other fairy tale themed character you asked for, too.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Davies wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:01 pm
Voltron64 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 pm The Huntsman, eh?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=73Wb14NZ01E

:mrgreen:
Well, he does have strength and speed and very shiny teeth, as the picture above shows.
But does he still have Luck E?
Davies

Post by Davies »

kreuzritter wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 pm
But does he still have Luck E?
No comment. :P
Davies

Post by Davies »

Father Maximilian Beauregard

Maximilian Beauregard is a well-respected member of the Order of St. Cyprian (see Atlas of Earth-Prime), one of its most accomplished exorcists, monster hunters, and theologians. He has risked his life countless times in battle against supernatural evil, frequently fighting alongside (and sometimes against) the forces of ARCADE. His name has often been put forth as a candidate to succeed Father Lundi when the Grand Master of the Order passes on, but he has politely indicated that he has no such ambitions, preferring to remain in the field for as long as possible.

And he is, by any rational estimate, a complete psychopath. It is not clear if his present emotional and spiritual malaise is the consequence of his never-ending battles, or if he was always bent this way and has just now started to express his true nature now that he has the opportunity to do so. What is clear is that he has settled on a particular goal, believes that his aim is sanctified by God, and will not turn aside from what must be done in order to fulfill that holy task -- ending the Ban.

The Ban has always been a subject of great controversy among the scholars of the Order. On the one hand, it ensures that demons cannot enter the world without a mortal to summon them forth. However, the same is also true of those beings who seem to correspond to angels. The fact that the Ban was brought about by Simon Magus, a notorious sinner condemned not only by the Holy Bible but also by the Acts of Peter (which should be part of the Bible, in Beauregard's opinion) tilts the scale further towards its creation being an evil act which had unintended good consequences.

Beauregard believes, as other members of the Order before him have believed, that those consequences do not justify the Ban's existence. Unlike those other members before him, he lives in an era where it might be possible to bring about the Ban's destruction. There is no Master Mage. The wards which support the Ban are fading. It is possible that they could be completely uprooted and the cosmic order returned to what it was in the ages before the Common Era, if there was someone with the knowledge and the will to bring it about.

That this would allow demons free reign on Earth does not trouble him. The demons would be opposed by the angels, and by the will of God Almighty. Faith would be truly rewarded in such a world, and sinners more immediately punished. Everything would be as it should be.

In the name of this goal, Beauregard is currently following the efforts of a pair of Bostonian mages, one of whom he has known since her birth, having arranged for her inconvenient older sister to be placed with a family from which she would be rescued by Child Protective Services. (He performed many such favors for noteworthy mage families, as a way of earning their trust so as to receive aid from them when it proved necessary.) Their summoning of a hero interests him a great deal, and so he has researched it -- and discovered that the 'heroes' thus summoned were those whose lives ended in failure.

Did not Simon Magus' life end in failure? Would it not be supremely ironic to summon his spirit back to the world and use it as a servant in the great work of unding his great work?

Father Maximillian Beauregard -- PL 9

Abilities: STR 4 | STA 4 | AGL 3 | DEX 2 | FGT 8 | INT 2 | AWE 5 | PRE 3
Powers: Striking Strength (Strength-based Damage 2), Unreasonable (Immunity 5 [interaction skills]).
Advantages: All-Out Attack, Assessment, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Persuasion), Favored Foe (demons), Improved Initiative, Improvised Weapon, Languages 2 (Ancient Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin, English is native), Power Attack, Ritualist, Takedown, Well-Informed.
Skills: Athletics 8 (+12), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+12), Deception 9 (+12), Expertise: Magic 10 (+12), Expertise: Theology 13 (+15), Insight 10 (+15), Intimidation 10 (+13), Investigation 8 (+10), Perception 8 (+13), Persuasion 10 (+13), Stealth 8 (+11), Treatment 4 (+6).
Offense: Initiative +7, Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 6).
Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8/4, Will 10.
Totals: Abilities 62 + Powers 7 + Advantages 19 + Skills 51 + Defenses 16 = 155 points
Complications: Faith--Motivation. Secret (goals).
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Every hero community need a psychopathic Religious nut with powers running around it,nice twist on it Davies! :D :D
Davies

Post by Davies »

Next Up: In celebration of my purchasing Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, some D&D themed villainy.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:12 am Every hero community need a psychopathic Religious nut with powers running around it,nice twist on it Davies! :D :D
and somewhere in the multiverse, he's a Perfectly Ordinary Cook, serving only the spiciest of spicy foods to sate his need to harm others