World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - The Geist! The Centurion Through The Ages! The Republic Alliance!

Post by catsi563 »

Sounds like a bit of Southern Cross in there too :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - The Geist! The Centurion Through The Ages! The Republic Alliance!

Post by Davies »

As far as she knows, only Kanoko can see the ghost. Those of her family who have joined the Alliance are in different cells than she is, and there's no way to contact them (or the ones on the other side) and find out if they're also having spiritual experiences. Ke-san-te-ha has indicated that he's been sent to her by a higher power, though he refuses to discuss any details.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Post by Davies »

catsi563 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:07 pm Sounds like a bit of Southern Cross in there too :D
Well, Kanoko does have a distressing tendency to ride around on the outisde of her tank ...

Anyway -- two more Republic Alliance characters, then three opposition characters, then a trip into the Terminus.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Author's Note: Okay, tomorrow's starting to look like it's going to be a busy day, so have tomorrow's character today, instead.

Lady Avobombe

On perhaps a double handful of the worlds of the Lor Republic-that-was, there existed various forms of aristocracy that had survived the annexation of these worlds into the Republic. In every case, these aristocrats were firmly barred from actual political power, but they were generally quite wealthy -- or at least, possessed wealth that their creditors were unwilling to take the risk to claim. The majority of them cultivated the art of wielding power through subtle and discrete means, and made their services in this field available to others ... for a price.

Lady Avobombe of Upper Quindalla was known, in certain rarefied circles, as one of the most effective of these aristocratic spymasters. Not too well known, of course, for one could be an effective spy or a famous spy, not both. Her talents led to her being recommended to Senator Yurusha Elaynu early in the latter's senatorial career, and she performed a number of missions that turned out to be critical to the Senator's ongoing success. This fact, and the fact that Elaynu had no idea that Avobombe had also run a number of missions against her on the behalf of her rivals, led Elaynu to contact her when she was establishing her cell of the Republic Alliance.

Avobombe agreed to work for her, and even to work for free for the duration of the conflict, apparently out of anger that Upper Quindalla's shipyards had been nationalized by the Imperium, putting millions of her fellow Quindallans out of work. The notion that she would ever be motivated by concern for her fellow anything is one of the many charming naivetes that Avobombe has sought to encourage in her employer. The truth is that if she could end the war tomorrow, she wouldn't. The game she is playing is ever so much more interesting than simple victory could be, and so she seeks to prolong it as much as possible.

As a consequence of this, Avobombe is far more willing to take personal risks than a typical spymaster of her experience, who usually sends about a dozen agents into the field, each with a different idea about what they're supposed to accomplish. For her part, she leads from the front. Success or failure of these operations, and the lives or deaths of her operatives, don't matter to her as much as the excitement she's able to feel while risking her life, as long as she can spin a story which portrays the outcome as all part of her plan.

If she has an endgame, it is probably this -- the Imperium will fall, but the Republic will not rise again. Instead it will be succeeded by dozens of little empires. She sees no reason that Quindalla -- perhaps even under her 'enlightened leadership' -- should not become the center of one such successor state. But she might find something that she wants more before that happens. Who knows what she'll do?

Lady Avobombe -- PL 9

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 3 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 7 | INT 3 | AWE 2 | PRE 3
Powers: Striking Strength (Strength-based Damage 2).
Equipment: Knock Out Lipstick (Cumulative Affliction 5 [Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated], Grapple-based, Insidious), Customized Blaster Pistol (Ranged Damage 5, Accurate, Subtle), Universal Translator (Comprehend Languages 2), and 51 points of equipment as needed for any mission.
Advantages: Attractive 2, Benefit (Millionaire), Connected, Defensive Roll, Equipment 15, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Jack-of-all-trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Skill Mastery 2 (Investigation, Stealth), Tracking, Well-Informed.
Skills: Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+13), Deception 6 (+9), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+7), Insight 5 (+7), Investigation 8 (+11), Perception 5 (+7), Sleight of Hand 6 (+10), Stealth 8 (+12).
Offense: Initiative +8, Unarmed +13 (Close Damage 3), Knock-Out Lipstick +13 (Close Fortitude 5), Blaster Pistol +13 (Ranged Damage 5).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 11, Fortitude 7, Toughness 5/3, Will 9.
Totals: Abilities 54 + Powers 2 + Advantages 36 + Skills 24 + Defenses 18 = 134 points.
Complications: Thrills--Motivation. Snob. Craves Creature Comforts.
Last edited by Davies on Thu May 31, 2018 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

OK, inform me which Star Wars character you used for Avobombe (not to Kanoko)?

I'm slow on the draw sometimes, I admit it.
Davies

Post by Davies »

She's very loosely based on a minor villain from the New Jedi Order books, Viqi Shesh. Basically her role is to expand on the idea that quite a few of the people surrounding Hrolent and Elaynu aren't particularly trustworthy, since most of the characters I've introduced so far are "good guys".

Kanoko is Wedge, mixed a bit with Shira Brie before her treason was exposed.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Admiral Muk'ra Thus

Illithus, a gloomy planet on the edge of the Grue Unity, is fairly typical of the worlds conquered by the Grue. Its primary export is slave soldiers, who fight and die for the Grue's benefit without ever having the slightest hope of seeing their homeworld ever again. There is an underground devoted to freeing the planet from the Grue, but everyone on Illithus knows that it is run by the Grue themselves to isolate and exterminate would-be rebels. Even beyond that, nobody has any way of knowing whether the person with whom they're conversing is actually a Grue metamorph, so most people just don't bother talking to each other.

Which made the accomplishment of Muk'ra Thus and his hundred confederates, in stealing a Grue space hulk and using it to flee into space controlled by the Lor Republic, all the more remarkable. Their operation benefited from taking place during a time of great confusion in the Unity, immediately after the Metamind's defeat by the Earthlings in 2004, but it is nonetheless the greatest escape ever documented in known space. Of course, their accomplishment very nearly resulted in their deaths when the space hulk came under fire by the Lor Navy, but the hulk was captured rather than destroyed out of hand.

Thus and his band were examined by Lor Mentats for more than a year, to ensure that there was no possibility of them being Grue metamorphs. (Unspoken went the fact that they were also being examined for the possibility that any of them might have the psychic powers that Illithusians were said to possess before the Grue conquest.) Eventually, they were released, and became the most celebrated immigrants to the Republic in recent history. Supposedly uncomfortable with this celebrity, Muk'ra Thus quietly accepted a consultancy with the Navy's Office of Intelligence, discussing what he'd learned about the function of Grue star ships with the people most likely to blow holes in them.

He was consulting with the Naval office on Upper Quindalla about the best ways to design ships to fight the Grue when the news of the destruction of Magna-Lor came in. Just how he got involved with the subsequent mutiny of a group of Naval officers who rejected the birth of the Stellar Imperium is a story that he has refused to discuss, as it involves many secrets that are not his own to tell. Muk'ra found himself placed in command of one of the Grue-fighting battleships he'd helped to design, and placed it and his crew at the disposal of the Republic Alliance.

Until the arrival of Captain Bailesu -- he's being courteous by giving him that title, and will not use the phrase 'Dread Space Pirate' under any circumstances -- Muk'ra was both the commanding officer of Senator Elaynu's entire military force and the captain of its flagship, The Gripping Hand. The title of flagship has been transferred to The Jolly Vorriger, a faster and more maneuverable vessel, even if it lacks the Hand's incredibly powerful weaponry. While Muk'ra maintains an office on the Vorriger, it has been made very clear to him what will happen if he tries to exercise any admiral-type privileges while on board. Muk'ra is not happy about this, but has chosen to endure it for the present.

He's good at enduring things, that's how he got this job in the first place ... his ability to endure under the slaver's yoke while keeping his intelligence is what attracted one of the hidden Illithid priests to him. They recruited him, gave him deep hypnotic programming, and sent him on his great escape. He doubts any of his masters had envisioned that the mission would last this long, or take these turns. He was only supposed to guide the Lor into a war with the Grue that both sides would lose, leaving Illithus free to achieve its destiny. If he were to try to guide the Stellar Imperium into that war, it just might win, leaving Illithus under a different alien master and one no better.

So his goal of restoring the Republic so that it can be smashed into the Grue happily coincides with the goals of the Republic Alliance, for now. And as long as no one finds out the truth, this pleasant situation can continue ...

Admiral Muk'ra Thus -- PL 7

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 3 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 7 | INT 2 | AWE 1 | PRE 1
Powers: Illithusian (Extra Limbs 3; Immunity 1 [drowning]; Senses 2 [darkvision]; Swimming 2), Ink Cloud (Burst Area Visual Concealment Attack 2).
Equipment: Armored Space Suit (Immunity 10 [life support]; Protection 4), Blaster Pistol (Ranged Damage 5), The Gripping Hand (Size: Colossal; Strength: 20; Speed: 12 [air/space]; Toughness: 15; Defense: 5; Features: Navigation System; Powers: Comms [Selective Area Radio Communication 3], Hyperdrive [Movement 3 (space travel)], Weapons Systems [Array: Burst Area Ranged Damage 12, AP: Cone Area 3 Damage 18, Side Effect [always; -5 Toughness, cannot fire weapons or use hyperdrive, DC 25 Technology check repairs all], AP: Perception Ranged Move Object 12]).
Advantages: Defensive Attack, Equipment 27, Favored Enemy (Grue), Favored Environment (Aquatic), Improved Grab, Language (Lorcan, Illithusian is native), Leadership, Ranged Attack 5.
Skills: Deception 12 (+13), Expertise: Naval Strategy 10 (+12), Insight 8 (+9), Perception 8 (+9), Technology 8 (+10), Vehicles 8 (+12).
Offense: Initiative +4, Unarmed +7 (Close Damage 2), Blaster Pistol +9 (Ranged Damage 5).
Defense: Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 7, Toughness 7/3, Will 7.
Totals: Abilities 48 + Powers 14 + Advantages 37 + Skills 27 + Defenses 13 = 139
Complications: Loyalty (to Illithus)--Motivation. Hatred (Grue). Secret.

The crew of The Gripping Hand are Imperium Troopers (Cosmic Handbook, p. 93) with 2 extra points of equipment (Space Suit [Immunity 10 [life support]).
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Praise Cthullu,a Triple Agent.I also like that he's modeled after Admiral "It's a Trap!" Akbar....:D
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Shades of Saul Tigh too...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:28 pm Shades of Saul Tigh too...
Hm! Hadn't thought of that, but good point. Well done!
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Jinx Gestalt

Twenty-one solar cycles ago, Wahina Morwaine (right) and Mui Dannen (left) were students at the somewhat-less-than-prestigious Harren military academy on the Lor planet Mesu-Junt. They were two big fish in a rather small pond, constantly vying for the highest marks, the best results in physical tests, and the interest of the male students. It was a friendly rivalry, and one that the academicians sought to encourage, even as they lamented the fact that none of their other students seemed to produce work of comparable quality.

Shortly before their graduation, one of their classmates apparently snapped under the pressure of being constantly measured against these two prodigies and attacked Mui, who avoided any real injury. An outside review of the school's procedures was begun, and the auditors noticed an oddity in the class records of the past three years. When both Mui and Wahina were present, they were the only students to produce quality work, but on those occasions when either of them was absent, the work done by their fellows improved dramatically. The peculiarity was noteworthy enough that a mentat was called in to investigate and determine whether Mui or Wahina had been cheating, somehow.

In a way, they had been. The investigation discovered that the two young women each possessed the ability to deleteriously alter probabilities around them, 'jinxing' their fellow students. This ability had not been discovered during the typical grammar school tests for psychic abilities because they could only use it when in sight of each other -- an incredibly rare psychic gestalt, and a quite powerful one. Normally, Lor citizens with such a gift would be immediately recruited by the mentat union.

However, the very nature of that gestalt limited their usefulness. Mentats were expected to operate alone, or with backup from the security branch, rather than as a team. But when alone, neither Wahina nor Mui demonstrated any psychic abilities at all. The decision was finally made to allow them to complete their education and monitor their subsequent activities.

Excited by their discovery, the two decided not to follow their graduation with the expected entrance into the military, but rather to go into private business as 'mentats for hire', offering their services as investigators, trouble-shooters, and of course jinxes to anyone willing to pay for their services. There had never been any such organization before, and yet there were also no laws against such an operation. The two women ended up making a great deal of money, which flowed through their hands like water, and enjoyed a great deal of excitement and notoriety.

But all good things must come to an end. When the Lor Republic became the Stellar Imperium, mentats for hire were no less threatened by the Star Khan's peculiar institution than guild mentats were. Wahina and Mui sought shelter with the Sacred Assembly, and had no choice but to use their skills for the benefit of the Assembly's prophets rather than their own profit. They are still famous, but there's no longer any real fun in their activities. Worse, the situations they keep getting sent in to handle always seem to explode into extreme violence, regardless of whether they try to jinx things or simply handle them with more mundane methods.

Despite everything, though, the duo stick true to their code of honor, elucidated in a Terran song that became very popular in the Republic when they were at the academy. "Stand tall/don't think small/don't get your back against the wall/Shoot straight/Don't wait/Aim for the center of mass/And fire away." Wahina and Mui will look after each other no matter what.

Everything else in the universe better watch out for them.

Wahina Morwaine and Mui Dannen -- PL 9

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 3 | AGL 4 | DEX 5 | FGT 9 | INT 1 | AWE 2 | PRE 2
Powers: Jinx (Burst Area 2 Affliction 9 [Resisted and Overcome by Will; Impaired and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Disabled], Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Indirect 4, Insidious, Subtle 2), Jinxproof (Immunity 2 [own powers, partner's powers]), Striking Strength (Strength-based Damage 2).
Equipment:
Wahina: Blaster Rifle (Ranged Damage 8), Boomerang Blade (Ranged Damage 1), Half of Moon Glow (as Pegasus Spaceplane, see Gadget Guide p. 121) and 12 points of other equipment as needed.
Mui: Blaster Rifle (Ranged Damage 8) Lenses (Senses 2 [extended vision, low-light vision]), Half of Moon Glow, and 12 other points of equipment as needed.
Advantages: Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 10, Evasion 2, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4. Wahina has Improved Critical (Boomerang Blade) 4. Mui has Assessment, Grappling Finesse, and Precise Attack 2 (Ranged/Both).
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 6 (+7), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+9), Insight 5 (+7), Intimidation 6 (+8), Investigation 4 (+5), Perception 8 (+10), Sleight of Hand 5 (+10), Stealth 8 (+12), Vehicles 6 (+11). Wahina has Ranged Combat: Boomerang Blade 8 (+13). Mui has Technology 8 (+9).
Offense: Initiative +8, Unarmed +9 (Close Damage 3), Blaster Rifle +9 (Ranged Damage 8). Wahina also has Boomerang Blade +17 (Ranged Damage 1, Critical 16-20).
Defense: Dodge 11, Parry 9, Fortitude 6, Toughness 7/3, Will 5.
Totals: Abilities 54 + Powers 38 + Advantages 29 + Skills 39 + Defenses 13 = 173 points
Complications: Survival--Motivation. Power Loss (must be able to accurately sense partner to use Jinx). Responsibility (Assembly). Loyal to Each Other. Everybody Else Can Just Die, Really.
Last edited by Davies on Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Huh. Sounds like a pair of dirty operators.
A dirty pair, if you will. :mrgreen:
Davies

Post by Davies »

Indeed. And if you're a PC in the Republic Alliance campaign, they're trying to kill you. Pleasant dreams.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arg, I missed good stuff when my internet was broken...

I like the combination Batman Beyond/Mystery of the Batwoman thing. Cool idea.

Muk'ra Thus is my favorite of the Star Wars homages. I've always been an Ackbar fan and that guy hits the right notes.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:06 pm Indeed. And if you're a PC in the Republic Alliance campaign, they're trying to kill you. Pleasant dreams.
...."But what a way to go out...." :lol: