World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Post by Davies »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:32 pm I find myself wondering if Optimus's final apology was for all of the pain he caused getting a good future... or because he realized he was mistaken after all, and just made things worse. Probably the point.
It was more the latter than the former. He'd only managed to delay the final war until 1993. It would fall to others, years later, to make sure it didn't happen then, just as it has fallen to others since then to make sure it doesn't happen in their time.

But on the plus side, he didn't end up the deranged Lord of a Manor. ;)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Arkrite

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - The Sentinels (updated)! Meta-4! The Algernon Files

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:27 am Templar -- PL 11

Complications:
Mysterious and Enigmatic.
I'd like to imagine that even a few heroes have suggested nuking the team of Templar and Doctor Sane from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure ;~)
Davies wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:46 am Johnny Rocket
I do love me some Golden Age heroes.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 am I'd like to imagine that even a few heroes have suggested nuking the team of Templar and Doctor Sane from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure ;~)
Yawning after a long night looking after an infant Billie, Toxic descends the stairs to the kitchen area of the two-story walkup where she and her family live, to find Templar sitting by the prep area sipping from a teacup. She stares at him. He stares at her for a moment, then waves.

Toxic: <deep sigh, raised voice> Zane. Your friend is here.
Templar: Shouldn't you be more specific than that? I mean he does have more than one friend, presumably.
Toxic: <normal voice> Not at the moment, no.
Arkrite wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 am I do love me some Golden Age heroes.
I think then I might cover a few more of the other archetypes from that era.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Okay, I edited the index so it should be a bit more easily navigated.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:28 am Yawning after a long night looking after an infant Billie, Toxic descends the stairs to the kitchen area of the two-story walkup where she and her family live, to find Templar sitting by the prep area sipping from a teacup. She stares at him. He stares at her for a moment, then waves.

Toxic: <deep sigh, raised voice> Zane. Your friend is here.
Templar: Shouldn't you be more specific than that? I mean he does have more than one friend, presumably.
Toxic: <normal voice> Not at the moment, no.

Owch :lol:
Not going to lie, that made me laugh quite a bit.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Author's Note: As with the Lince, I was a little surprised how well the real world history worked for what I had in mind.

Hrimthurs

Over the course of his long life (1912-1989), Jakob Nansen told many stories about how he acquired his powers. The most common was that he got lost in an eerie blizzard, and somehow learned to control the ice and snow so that he could survive. Other tales claimed that he'd helped out a winter spirit, who gave him a blessing, or that he'd been taught the secrets of ice magic by a hidden group of hrimwisards. On those occasions when someone claimed to have heard a different tale before, he'd simply laugh and wink, then tell yet another story.

The truth of the matter was that he had no more idea where his powers came from than anyone else did. He went to sleep one evening in December of 1938, and woke up to discover that he was covered in ice, as was every surface of the cabin where he'd slept. The ice melted as soon as he thought about how he was going to get rid of it, leaving not a drop of water behind. Jakob was bewildered by this, but soon worked out most of what he could do.

What he couldn't work out was what to do with it. A lumberjack by trade, he had no wish to seem freakish in the sight of his fellows. He'd heard stories about people with powers fighting criminals or committing crimes themselves, but as he was an honest (if not all that truthful) man, the latter was not an option and neither was the former, given how rare crime was in the town of Nybergsund. So he kept these powers to himself, and went on living his life in peace.

Unfortunately, peace was not to be his destiny. A bit more than a year later, Germany invaded Norway. Listening to Vidkun Quisling's radio broadcasted coup d'etat, Jakob found himself feeling a sense of terrible outrage, but still wasn't sure what he should do about it, beyond joining the army and fighting as an ordinary soldier. Two days later, when the Germans bombed Nybergsund -- as the Norwegian government had met there and rejected the invaders' demand for capitulation -- Jakob finally found himself taking action, using his powers to save lives threatened by the bombing, as well as fighting the paratroopers dropped to mop up resistance.

In the aftermath, Jakob found himself introduced to King Haakon, who commented that things must very dire if a frost giant (Hrimthurs) was fighting on Norway's behalf. Jakob accompanied the government on their way to Molde, and then to Tromsø, continuing to act as a super-powered bodyguard for them, most notably fighting against assassination attempts overseen by Totenkopf. When the decision was made to evacuate the royal family and government to the United Kingdom, Hrimthurs -- as he was now called by nearly everyone -- reluctantly accompanied them there, as well.

Once the royal family was secure, Jakob sought permission to train as a commando so that he could return to Norway and continue the fight. This was granted, but it soon became clear that Hrimthurs lacked the necessary killer instinct to make a good resistance fighter. Despite this, he accompanied the unit when they traveled to train in Canada's wintery conditions, and advised them on what he'd learned about fighting supersoldiers. Ultimately, he did accompany the commandos who embarked on Operation Gunnerside, following the failures of Operation Freshman, and defended the team against attacks by the Ubersoldaten known as the Valkyrie, but could not bring himself to finish the enemy off.

After the war, Hrimthurs continued to fight crime in Norway, while also traveling to Germany to take part in the fight against the Killer Kaiser, and later to Denmark to assist in a battle against a giant reptile which was attacking Copenhagen. He found himself starting to feel his years, however, and, after King Haakon's death in 1957, he announced that he would be retiring from his heroics, and sought permission to travel abroad. King Olav granted this boon, declaring it to be the least that his nation owed its champion.

Jakob returned to Canada, having come to love that nation during his brief time there. He finally married in 1961, and his son Haakon (usually called Hank) was born three years later. The younger Nansen did not appear to have inherited his father's powers, which suited Jakob quite nicely, as he'd become increasingly unsure whether they were truly a 'gift'. Time passed, however, and his attitude about the matter softened a bit. When he finally passed away in 1989, his body was returned to Norway, where he was given a state funeral and buried in Nybergsun.

Haakon Nansen also married fairly late in life, with his oldest daughter born in 1995 and a younger child born in 1998. His daughter, Vikki Nansen, has inherited her grandfather's abilities and then some. Known as the Rimer Queen, she is active as a superhero in British Columbia, usually accompanied by her younger brother, who fights under the name Jacky Frost, despite having no ice-related powers.

Hrimthurs - PL9

Abilities: STR 7/1 | STA 2 | AGL 3 | DEX 2 | FGT 6 | INT 0 | AWE 1 | PRE 2

Powers:
Ice Armor: Enhanced Strength 6; Immunity 15 (cold damage, life support); Protection 8 - 35 points
Ice Control: Array (17 points)
  • Chill: Environment 8 (extreme cold), Dynamic - 2 points
  • Ice Blast: Ranged Damage 8 - 1 points
  • Icy Snare: Ranged Affliction 8 (Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Immobile and Defenseless), Extra Condition, Limited to Two Degrees, Reversible - 17 points
  • Slick: Environment 8 (hamper movement), Dynamic - 2 points
Skating: Speed 5 - 5 points

Advantages:
Daze (Deception), Inspire, Languages 2 (Danish, English, German, Swedish, [Norwegian is native]), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Taunt.

Skills:
Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+8), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Story-Telling 4 (+6), Expertise: Survival 8 (+8), Perception 4 (+5), Ranged Combat: Ice Control 6 (+8).

Offense:
Initiative +3
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 7/1)
Ice Blast +10 (Ranged Damage 8)
Icy Snare +10 (Ranged Affliction 8, Resisted by Dodge)

Defense:
Dodge 7, Parry 8, Fortitude 7, Toughness 10/2, Will 5.

Totals: Abilities 34 + Powers 62 + Advantages 8 + Skills 15 + Defenses 15 = 134 points

Complications:
Patriot--Motivation. Not A Killer. Power Loss
(intense heat). Weakness (intense heat).
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

I take it Jakob Nansen was quite the mountain of a man to be given his name outside of his ice powers?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:26 am I take it Jakob Nansen was quite the mountain of a man to be given his name outside of his ice powers?
His ice form added about 4 inches to his 6'2'' frame. During his fight with Reptillicus, he briefly power stunted Growth to an even greater height, fully justifying the title.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Rimer Queen
and Jackie Frost

Let's get it out of the way -- yes, she's seen the movie, no, she didn't really like it, if other people do that's fine, but it doesn't have anything to do with her or her life, she's heard every joke, several times now, but even though the cold doesn't bother her anyway, she's really really really not interested in singing that song.

Ahem.

By the time Vikki Nansen was in high school, it was apparent that she'd inherited her grandfather's ice powers. Unlike him, she promptly started using them for low key crime-fighting and rescue work in her hometown of Jasper. She soon realized that her powers were much greater than those that Hrimthrus had possessed; where he'd been able to create a layer of ice beneath his feet and "skate" on it, she was able to make that ice platform take to the air, allowing her to fly. Her powers were also much more dangerous than his had been, and Vikki caused several accidents early in her career that taught her valuable lessons about patience and caution.

While she was offered the chance to study at the Claremont Academy, neither Vikki's parents nor she herself were all that comfortable with the idea of uprooting her from the only home she'd ever known. The same was true for the invitation to join the student body of Faculty X in Toronto, plus her parents had heard the rumors. They tried to contact members of the Pacific Sentinels and interest them in mentoring her, but received only silence or polite suggestions that Vikki should wait until she was an adult. Left with no other options, Vikki decided to go it alone.

Or at least, she went it alone until 2014, when her sis--ahem--brother, Jackie, showed up with some magic weapons and gear that he'd gotten somewhere, and insisted that he was now her sidekick. Vikki had a number of questions about these tools and the training that Jackie had apparently gotten somewhere, but her brother has dodged all of them. The gear, at least, has been identified as some of that used by the Pacific Sentinels' former member Minstrel, who disappeared more than twenty years ago. The senior members of that team have some rather pointed questions of their own that they'd like answered, and are now suspicious of Vikki as well.

After Jackie graduated from high school (and his relationship with their father, who insists that he has two daughters, not a daughter and a son, disintegrated completely) the two siblings moved to Vancouver, where they're active as crime fighters. Their biggest case thus far has been when Vikki was contacted by the mage called Zalman to help in the Yellowstone Battle, where her cold generating abilities were stretched to the utmost in freezing the lava before it could erupt. Even with several of the most powerful mystics on Earth backing her up, that knocked her out for several days afterward, but it probably saved countless lives.

Rimer Queen -- PL 11

Abilities: STR 5/0 | STA 2 | AGL 4 | DEX 3 | FGT 3 | INT 2 | AWE 4 | PRE 0

Powers:
Ice Armor: Enhanced Strength 5; Immunity 15 (cold damage, life support); Impervious Toughness 12; Insubstantial 1 (snow) - 54 points
Ice Control Basics: Enivronment 2 (3 points of effect), Selective, Quirk (can't produce heat) - 7 points
Ice Control Techniques: Array (29 points)
  • Cold Blast: Ranged Affliction 14 (Resisted by Fortitude; Fatigued, Exhausted, Incapacitated) - 1 point
  • Ice Blast: Ranged Damage 14, Variable (cold and any physical) - 1 point
  • Ice Motion: Perception-Range Move Object 9 - 1 point
  • Ice Snare: Ranged Affliction 14 (Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Immobile and Defenseless), Extra Condition, Limited to Two Degrees, Reversible - 29 points
  • Icy Conditions: Enhanced Environment 7 (3 points of effect), Selective, Quirk (can't produce heat) - 1 point
Ice Flight: Flight 9, Platform - 9 points

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Initiative, Move-by Attack, Power Attack

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6), Athletics 6 (+6), Expertise: Current Events 2 (+4), Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation 7 (+7), Perception 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Cold Control 5 (+8), Stealth 2 (+6)

Offense:
Initiative +8
Unarmed +3 (Close Damage 5/0)
Cold Blast +8 (Ranged Fortitude 14)
Ice Blast +8 (Ranged Damage 14)
Ice Snare +8 (Ranged Affliction 14, Resisted by Dodge)

Defense:
Dodge 7, Parry 5, Fortitude 6, Toughness 12, Will 8.

Totals: Abilities 36 + Powers 103 + Advantages 5 + Skills 16 + Defenses 13 = 173 points

Complications:
Responsibility--Motivation. Family
(Jackie). Power Loss (intense heat). Weakness (intense heat).

Jackie Frost -- PL 9

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 2 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 5 | INT 1 | AWE 1 | PRE 0

Powers:
Enchanted Bow & Arrows: Array (10 points); Easily Removable (-5 points)
  • Explosive Arrow: Ranged Burst Area Damage 3 - 1 point
  • Flare Arrow: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 5 (Resisted by Fortitude; Visually Impaired, Visually Disabled, Visually Unaware), Limited to One Sense - 1 point
  • Standard Arrow: Ranged Damage 5 - 10 points
Cloak of Teleportation: Enhanced Defenses 6 (Dodge 3, Parry 3); Teleport 4; Removable (-3 points) - 11 points

Equipment:
Sword (Strength-based Damage 3) and 2 other points of equipment as needed.

Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Equipment 1, Evasion 2, Great Endurance, Precise Attack (Ranged; Concealment), Skill Mastery (Athletics), Uncanny Dodge.

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 6 (+7), Close Combat: Sword 5 (+10), Deception 10 (+10), Expertise: Current Events 6 (+7), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+7), Insight 4 (+5), Investigation 6 (+7), Persuasion 10 (+10), Ranged Combat: Bow 7 (+11), Stealth 6 (+10)

Offense:
Initiative +4
Unarmed +5 (Close Damage 1)
Sword +10 (Close Damage 4)
Explosive Arrow -- (Ranged Burst Area Damage 3)
Flare Arrow +11 (Ranged Fortitude 5)
Standard Arrow +11 (Ranged Damage 5)

Defense:
Dodge 13/10, Parry 11/8, Fortitude 7, Toughness 5/2, Will 7.

Totals: Abilities 36 + Powers 18 + Advantages 13 + Skills 37 + Defenses 20 = 124

Complications:
Thrills--Motivation. Family
(Vikki). Prejudice (transgender). Reputation (uses stolen gear). Secret ("where did you learn how to do that?")
Davies

Post by Davies »

Medea

It very rarely comes to pass that an ending does not contain the seeds of some new beginning. So it is with Medea; at the height of her greatest triumph, the downfall of Olympus, she was killed by the mysterious Arcanix, who demonstrated the still-unexplained ability to ignore her sanctuary's wards. And yet it seems that there must be a Medea ... or at least that some greater-than-mortal will demanded the presence of a similar piece on the chessboard of the world.

Thus, five years after the end of the Olympus Delendum affair, another Medea awoke in the wreckage of that sanctuary, and looked about in confusion. The product of a very similar reality, she had been through enough revisions of that reality to realize what was amiss, and set out to learn the details of the new existence in which she found herself. All that was needed was a visit to a library, the judicious application of mind control, and a relatively brief interval spent reading newspapers.

Much of what she learned amused her. But what she learned about herself, or the version of herself which had existed in this world until recently, honestly disturbed her. The earliest reports described her as attacking someone called Lady Liberty in 1946; she remembered encountering a similar person in that year, but they had been reluctant allies trying to prevent the Great Beast from his ultimate transcendence. Every report of her doings was like this. Many of them were things she had done, or could envision doing. But some were acts of purest madness, and her occasional moments of benevolence went utterly unremarked.

Worst of all were things that this other Medea had admitted about herself, proudly proclaiming that she had murdered her own children. What sort of monster would do such a thing? When she had wrecked Iason's ambitions then fled, she took their son and daughter with her, taking brief refuge in Thebes under Heracles' protection, and then returning to Colchis, where her children had grown strong and beautiful, ancestors of the peoples that the Greeks had called the Medes.

She spent the next year quietly rebuilding her sanctuary and keeping to the shadows, after it became clear to her that her attempts to return to her own world were being blocked by powers greater than her own. (Or perhaps, as some auguries indicated, could never work, as her world no longer existed.) She learned of familiar allies and familiar enemies, but chose not to seek any of them out, taking what advantage she could from the fact that everyone believed that Medea was no more. Not even the fall of the Master Mage, midway through that year of silence, inspired her to action. She took it for granted that the post would be shortly filled.

A few months after that, Zalman became the first person to learn of Medea's return when he visited her former lair in Georgia, which adjoined her sanctuary thanks to a portal. Captured by her traps, he was somewhat startled when she invited him to take tea rather than engaging in bizarre magical tortures. (Of course, the tea was bitter enough to count as a sort of torture, but nevertheless.) After confirming that he was also a refugee from another world, she revealed her own situation to him. He ventured to offer his expertise in the matter, but she politely declined, suspecting it was a waste of time and not wanting to become indebted.

In the end, they parted not as friends, but with respect and without enmity. As Zalman has continued to regain his powers, they have had several encounters since then, often discussing matters of mutual interest and avoiding direct conflict. Zalman confided to Charlie Graham that he hopes that he can be for Medea what Seven was for him, and help her to take a better path than the original Medea chose. At a minimum, there's reason to hope that this Medea does not just want to see the world burn.

However, that is at least partially because she intends to rule it. The long absence of the Master Mage has made her wonder if she might be able to fill the role. If she did, she would work to bring magic more into the public awareness, making it more known and less occult or arcane, as Eldritch and his predecessors did. While her hatred of Daedelus and the technology he embodies is somewhat less than her counterpart's was, she still sees no reason that his attitudes should dominate the world as they have for far too long.

That said, she has a larger grudge to deal with at the moment, so Daedelus and his allies are safe from her ... for now. (And she has no interest in cooperating with the so-called Crime League. That was surely her counterpart's maddest decision yet.) Whoever brought her to this world may have saved her life, but they did so by manipulating her, and so she is preparing to go to war with them. It will be the most dangerous war she has ever fought, as she will be opposing one of the greatest powers of the universe.

For only Love could be so cruel.

Medea -- PL 11

Abilities: STR -1 | STA 2 | AGL 1 | DEX 1 | FGT 5 | INT 2 | AWE 4 | PRE 7

Powers:
Immortal: Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) - 3 points
Sorcerous Aegis: Sustained Impervious Protection 11 - 26 points
Sorcery: Array (67 points)
  • Curse of Circe: Perception Ranged Affliction 11 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Fatigued, Stunned, Transformed [into beasts]), Quirk (not against a target wearing moly) - 1 point
  • Hecate’s Crushing Will: Perception Ranged Damage 11, Alternate Resistance (Will), Quirk (not against a target wearing moly) - 1 point
  • Hecate’s Puppet: Perception Ranged Cumulative Affliction 11 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Compelled,
    Controlled). Quirk (not against a target wearing moly) - 1 point
  • Hermean Stride: Accurate Teleport 18 (1000 miles), Increased Mass 5 (1,600 lbs.) - 1 point
  • Mystic Blast: Ranged Multiattack Damage 13, Accurate 4, Variable Descriptor 2 (any magical damage effect), Quirk (not against a target wearing moly) - 1 point
  • Necromancy: Summon Ghosts 6, Broad Type, Continuous, Mental Link, Multiple Minions 3 (8 demons) - 67 points
  • Shadow of Life: Summon Animated Object 11, Broad Type - 1 point
  • Sorcerous Scrying: Remote Sensing (Visual and Auditory) 22 (16000 miles), Concentration, Dimensional (mythic) - 1 point
Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Attractive, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 3 (Sanctum Sanctorum headquarters), Fascinate (Deception), Languages 5 (English and up to 11 others, Ancient Greek native), Ritualist, Taunt, Trance.

Skills:
Deception 10 (+17), Expertise: History 10 (+12), Expertise: Magic 16 (+18), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 8 (+15), Perception 8 (+12), Persuasion 8 (+15), Sleight of Hand 10 (+11), Stealth 8 (+9), Treatment 8 (+10).

Offense:
Initiative +1
Unarmed +5 (Close Damage -1)
Curse of Circe -- (Perception Range Will 11)
Hecate's Crushing Will -- (Perception Range Damage 11, Resisted by Will)
Hecate's Puppet -- (Perception Range Will 11)
Mystic Blast +9 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 13)

Defense:
Dodge 9, Parry 7, Fortitude 7, Toughness 13/2, Will 14.

Totals: Abilities 42 + Powers 99 + Advantages 16 + Skills 47 + Defenses 26 = 230 points

Complications:
Power--Motivation. Obligation (must plant moly once a week). Power Loss (must speak and gesture to use Sorcery or Sorcerous Aegis). Unforgiving (not as much as the other one was, but crossing her is a Very Bad Idea.)
Shock

Post by Shock »

I like Medea. Very cool idea
Davies

Post by Davies »

Half inspired by Fate's decidedly nicer Medea, half by all the "good guy Loki" stories.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Let's see if I break the character limit!

Trouble

There are two distinct types of mad scientists. There is the classic example of the fellow "rejected by those fools at the institute", driven by feelings of insecurity and/or jealousy. And there is the "unaware of the consequences of their actions", driven primarally by arrogance and/or willful blindness. Rarely, if ever, do the twain meet. One time they did was in the person of Dr. Andreas Fontana. He was, by all accounts, a pleasant and genial individual, a bit boringly focused on his work. Of course, that was the impression of those unaware of precisely what that work entailed -- experimentation on human beings. It must be understood, he was not sadistic, just utterly lacking in compassion or mercy for any of his subjects. It was all just a job to him.

Of course, even the most professional of individuals have hobbies. Dr. Fontana's hobby was, typically, an extension of his work. He would take notes on new technologies and concepts that he encountered, bring them home with him, and apply them to his personal research subject -- a nameless girl he'd acquired somewhere. When he wasn't experimenting on her, as he'd been doing since 1980, when she was around four years old, she was put in suspended animation.

The life of this child began on September 12, 1975. Her mother was Ebony Sin, the less well-known daughter of Dr. Sin. Her father was Kent Hazzard, an American adventurer and secret agent. By the time that she was born, the relationship between her parents had ended under very acrimonious terms. It's possible that Ebony endured the pregnancy in hopes of gaining a measure of influence over her former lover, preying on his sentimental attachment to a child he'd never seen.

She was utterly unprepared for the sentiment that she found herself feeling when the child was born. Likely as not, it was simply hormonal, rather than a true feeling animating her predator's heart. Be that as it may, she recognized it as a weakness that her own enemies could potentially use against her. So Ebony abandoned her plan to keep the child in her life. She found a childless couple in Hong Kong and had her agents contact them to offer a deal. They would raise the child in exchange for a series of substantial payments, delivered through the agencies of the Magi and so less likely to be tied to Ebony and her organization.

Unfortunately, only the first payment was ever made. In 1979, Fa Xing-La (as she was then known) and her foster parents were caught up in one of Zeitgeist's plots, which pulled them (and many of their neighbors) out of their proper time completely. Dr. Tomorrow foiled this plot, but the child's foster parents were lost, and she ended up in the care of Fontana, who'd been employed by Zeitgeist.

By 1987, she resembled a six-year old. It was in that year that operators from the Omega Brigade, supported by AEGIS agent Kent Hazzard, raided his laboratory. They had received reports that he did work for VIPER, and wanted to put a stop to that. Hazzard had different insturctions -- he was to find out whether Fontana would be willing to work for AEGIS. As it happened, he was, particularly as his other option was a bullet in the head. His only non-trivial requirement was that they transport the suspension module he kept in his basement to his new dwellings, so that he could continue his private research. Hazzard inquired of its contents, and Fontana cheerfully explained, in graphic detail.

"I see," said Hazzard, and shot him dead. The official report described Fontana as "shot trying to escape." (The operators were quite happy to corroborate this story, as they'd been disgusted to find out that the guy who'd created the unholy creatures they'd fought on the way there was going to be recruited.) The self-sustaining capsule went into storage, and Hazzard did his level best to forget about it.

In 1993, following a round of budget cuts, quite a few of the less dangerous items in AEGIS' hidden warehouses disappeared into the black market. The capsule was one of these. What with one thing and another, it was transferred between successive owners several times before any of them could examine its contents. In 1995, the most recent owners finally took the opportunity to do so.

The girl inside was unchanged since 1985, and examination revealed exactly what Fontana had done to her. She'd been implanted with several dozen "colonies" of self-replicating nanomachines that allowed her to change the internal composition of her body -- for example, making her bones more resilient than steel -- according to her will. Combined with certain biological enhancements, she'd almost been designed to be the perfect living weapon ... which, by a happy coincidence, was exactly what her new owners wanted, as they were also the proprietors of an underground super fighting ring.

The six-year old girl was trained in the arts of combat by some of the most unforgiving teachers on Earth, in arenas that did not allow for much in the way of mercy. Over the years, something shut off inside of her, and she stopped feeling anything -- even the joy of victory. By the time she was thirteen, and the fight club was absorbed into the Circuits Maximus, the number of her kills was approaching three figures. Her stone-faced expression (or lack therof) and taciturn behavior was oddly appealing to the audience, when contrasted with the elaborate posturing of the other fighters. Dubbed the Concrete Angel, she fought and killed and took dives, anything that she was ordered to do, without hesitation or complaint.

Then, in 2006, Kent Hazzard came back into her life. (Neither of them was aware of their mutual history.) Observing the training sessions of the Circuits Maximus, he was impressed by her technical fighting expertise, exceptionally rare in one so young, and a bit horrified by the emptiness that he saw in her eyes. As a result, she was one of the first fighters to whom he offered his services as a trainer.

She mutely accepted this, as she accepted everything else that happened to her. But Hazzard soon managed to elicit something that could almost pass for respect from the emotionally void fighter, after he defeated her in their first sparring session. It wasn't the defeat itself that awakened some vestige of self in her; it was what he did next. Instead of treating her defeat as a sign of personal failure on her part, he calmly explained how her technique had been insufficient to prevail, allowing her to work out how to improve it on her own. In other words, he treated her as a person, rather than a weapon, and may be the first person to ever do so.

Soon after, they were sparring on a regular basis, and one of his other pupils remarked to him that he was making a mistake associating himself with her, because "she's trouble." Before Hazzard could rebuke his pupil, she spoke for herself: "Yes I am." In as far as anyone could recall, these were the first words that she ever spoke on her own initiative, as opposed to answering a question or a demand from someone else. Deeming this auspicious, Hazzard started to call her "Trouble".

Then, on the eve of the Gathering, Trouble and Hazzard found themselves drawn into a conflict with a serial killer known as the Extremist, which led to Hazzard's death. Despairing, Trouble fought in the Gathering with the expectation that she was going to die. To her amazement and confusion, she not only did not meet her end, but found herself victorious and with an understanding that she would be doing a disservice to Hazzard's memory if she stopped fighting for the life he'd viewed as more important than his own.

After her victory and escape from the Circuits Maximus, Trouble accepted the invitation to join Overpower's "Freedom League Taskforce". Her membership on the team raised perhaps the biggest stink at the Freedom League meeting where the team debuted. While none of her new colleagues were angels, none of them had anything approaching her body count. Despite this, Pseudo's insistence that she was completely sincere when she claimed that she would never voluntarily kill another sapient being, based on her willing submission to his mind probe, persuaded the League to accept her, like the others, on a probationary status. In private, Pseudo revealed to the Freedom League his belief that if she is ever responsible for the death of another sapient, she will most likely kill herself.

In the years after that, Trouble found herself taking a variety of roles in a variety of missions. Her current long-term assignment is to monitor activity in Emerald City, posing as a fighter in the Stormfront, but she's frequently away from there on other missions. She has also developed a romantic relationship with Daedelus, in the course of training him to be a better fighter. She was saddened but not surprised when he chose to remain at the Orrery, but stunned by how happy she was when he unexpectedly returned to fight at her side during the Yellowstone Battle. Perhaps her life is worth living on its own merits, after all ...

Trouble - PL 12

Abilities: STR 8/5 | STA 6 | AGL 6 | DEX 6 | FGT 10 | INT 3/1 | AWE 8/4 | PRE -1

Powers:
Defensive Nanotechnology: Immunity 2 (nanotechnological effects) - 2 points
Technomorph: Variable 9 (technological powers), Continuous, Free Action, Subtle - 91 points
Translator: Comprehend Languages 1, Limited to Earth languages, Limited to basic phrases - 1 point

Typical Variable Sets:
Default: Enhanced Awareness 4; Enhanced Intellect 2; Enhanced Strength 3; Enhanced Advantages 16 (Close Attack 6, Defensive Roll 5, Eidetic Memory, Improved Critical 3 [Unarmed], Improved Initiative); Enhanced Defenses 4 (Parry 2, Dodge 2); Senses 7 (Accurate and Extended Hearing, Analytical and Extended Vision, Danger Sense, Infravision).

Blaster: Ranged Damage 11 (Accurate 3, Extended Range, Improved Critical 3, Precise); Enhanced Defense (Dodge 4); Protection 4; Senses 7 (Accurate and Extended Hearing, Analytical and Extended Vision, Danger Sense, Infravision).

Heavy: Enhanced Strength 7; Immunity 10 (life support); Protection 8, Impervious 12; Strength-based Damage 1.

Martial: Strength-based Damage 1, Penetrating 3; Enhanced Agility 6; Enhanced Fighting 8; Enhanced Advantage 1 (Improved Initiative ); Impervious Toughness 6; Regeneration 5; Senses 1 (Danger Sense)

Scout: Radio Communication 3; Morph 2 (humanoid forms); Senses 7 (Accurate and Extended Hearing, Analytical and Extended Vision, Danger Sense, Infravision); 16 points reserved for abilities useful in stealth form, such as Shrinking to appear as a small child.

Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Assessment, Close Attack 6, Defensive Roll 5, Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Evasion, Fearless, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical 4 (Unarmed Strike), Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Insight), Takedown, Ultimate Effort (Toughness checks), Uncanny Dodge.

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 6 (+14/+11), Expertise: Tactics 6 (+9/+7), Insight 6 (+14/+10), Intimidation 6 (+5), Perception 6 (+14/+10), Stealth 6 (+12), Technology 6 (+9/+7), Vehicles 6 (+12)

Offense:
Initiative +14/+10
Unarmed +16 (Close Damage 8, Crit 16-20)

Defense:
Dodge 12/10, Parry 12/10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12/6, Will 14/10

Totals: Abilities 74 + Advantages 15 + Skills 27 + Powers 94 + Defenses 16 = 226

Complications:
Responsibility--Motivation. Relationship (Daedelus). Reputation (deadliest woman alive). Secret (Freedom League Taskforce member). Semi-Literacy.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Rhiannon

Much like one of her role models -- and occasional intimates -- Thomas Rhymer, the woman called Rhiannon has a variety of tales about her background. She was tutored in magic by her grandmother, a hidden practitioner of great power and wisdom. She is descended from the fey folk, sometimes the actual child of a Beltain ritual, sometimes a foundling whose mother is the Queen of Fairies. She is a word in a book, come to life. Many, many self-aggrandizing tales.

The truth is that she is Ryan Wilson, the nineteen year-old daughter of an Australian office worker who migrated to the United Kingdom and an Irish traveler who didn't stick around to see his daughter born. Raised by the television, educated publicly, her life was dull and mundane until she discovered, at the age of fourteen, that she was able to change her shape for that of an animal. It's not at all clear whether this ability is magical, as she assumes. Quite possibly, she's an unwitting mutant.

If so, then the abilities that she has gathered since then are magical. She sought out every scrap of publicly available lore, and then went delving for more. She was willing to learn from anyone who might teach her something, and was willing to do whatever it would take to get them to do so. In the process, however, she developed a reputation as an amoral and self-interested student, causing many doors to be closed to her, whether out of contempt for these traits, or because those who shared them saw no sense in encouraging a would-be rival.

One of the few members of the UK's occult community who remained willing to help her was Aeron Gwynn, the Druid. He made a genuine effort to instill a bit of moral fiber in what knowledge he shared with Rhiannon, though he was never sure whether it was taking or whether she was just humoring him. The fact that she had the audacity to call herself by the name of a goddess pointed to the latter. On the other hand, she stopped engaging in library burglary after he tutored her.

When she learned of Aeron's murder, she found herself unexpectedly furious, and sought out the mage Zalman in hopes of joining forces against Blackthorn. It took a few months to set up, but she played a key role in the fallen druid's capture and containment, working with Zalman and Dragoneye. In the aftermath, many doors that were formerly closed to her have opened, either out of respect for this accomplishment or fear of what she might do now.

Rhiannon is primarily interested in gaining more magical knowledge -- not so much power, though she won't turn that down. If she were to seriously seek the position of Master Mage, as she's considered doing, it would be to gain access to the accumulated libraries of Eldrich and his predecessors. She's not a do-gooder by any stretch of the imagination, and the idea of helping someone without reward is foreign to her mindset -- but personal satisfaction, or gaining someone's good opinion, are both sometimes rewards enough for her.

In terms of her powers, Rhiannon is right on the verge of developing her Blast Spell into a Sorcery Array, most likely adding a Sleep Affliction and a Burst Damage effect, as these are some of the most frequent power stunts. Her Wildshape is limited to extant animals that she's actually seen and studied -- just where and when she studied a giant spider is another story that changes each time she tells it -- and is much weaker than the similar abilities employed by Vanguard member Menagerie.

Rhiannon -- PL 9

Abilities: STR 0 | STA 2 | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 2 | INT 4 | AWE 2 | PRE 2

Powers:
Blast Spell: Ranged Damage 8, Accurate 3 - 19 points
Mystic Senses: Senses 2 (acute mystic awareness) - 2 points
Shield Spell: Enhanced Defenses 8 (Dodge 4, Parry 4) - 8 points
Wildshape: Variable 5, Continuous, Move Action, Limited to animal powers - 40 points

Typical Variable Sets:
Bear Form: Enhanced Strength 4; Growth 4; Morph 1; Protection 2; Senses 2 (acute smell, low-light vision) -- 25 points

Hawk Form: Flight 4, Wings; Morph 1; Senses 2 (extended vision, low-light vision); Shrinking 6 -- 23 points

Spider Form: Growth 4; Morph 1; Movement 2 (Wall-crawling 2); Protection 1; Senses 4 (acute smell, darkvision, tracking) -- 22 points

Wolf Form: Strength-based Damage 3; Enhanced Advantage 1 (Improved Trip); Enhanced Fighting 1; Enhanced Strength 4; Morph 1; Senses 3 (acute smell, low-light vision, tracking) -- 22 points

Advantages:
Defensive Roll 2, Improved Initiative, Language 2, Move-by Action, Ritualist.

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+4), Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+10), Deception 8 (+10), Expertise: Magic 8 (+12), Expertise: Survival 4 (+8), Insight 4 (+6), Perception 6 (+8), Stealth 4 (+6).

Offense:
Initiative +6
Unarmed +10 (Close Damage 0 or more)
Blast Spell +8 (Ranged Damage 8)

Defense:
Dodge 11/7, Parry 11/7, Fortitude 6, Toughness 5/2, Will 11

Totals: Abilities 32 + Powers 69 + Advantages 7 + Skills 15 + Defense 23 = 138 points

Complications:
Discovery--Motivation. Power Loss (cannot use Blast Spell or Shield Spell when unable to speak or gesture ... and can't do that while using Wildshape). Selfish and Vain.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Since I wouldn't be terribly surprised if RoninArmy shut down permanently sometime in the near future, I'm reposting my write-ups for the Golden Age heroes of Emerald City ...

The Victory Squadron
Emerald City Player's Guide wrote:ATLAS (Michael Forest): A circus strongman of Greek ancestry who used his incredible physique to battle the Axis menace that occupied his ancestral homeland. Throughout the war, Forest hid a heart defect that rendered him ineligible for military service, and he fatally succumbed to it in 1949.
Atlas -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 6, STA 6, AGL 6, DEX 4, FGT 6, INT 3, AWE 4, PRE 2
Powers: Herculean Might: Power-Lifting 1
Advantages: Close Attack 4, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Initiative, Language (Greek), Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge
Skills: Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 6 (+12), Expertise: Performance 4 (+6), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+6)
Offense: Unarmed +10, Close Damage DC 21, Crit 20
Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 8/6, Will 6
Totals: Abilities 74+Advantages 10+Skills 14+Powers 1+Defenses 10=109
Complications: Heart Defect (Atlas periodically suffers from chest pains which can incapacitate him. He keeps this a secret from his allies.)
Justice--Motivation (Atlas desires to see an end to the Axis occupation of Greece, and its tyranny in general.) Lechery.
Emerald City Player's Guide wrote:COLUMBIA II (Phoebe Dorin): Michael (the Dreadnought) Dunn's longtime girlfriend who wielded a special flaming-torch weapon of his design. He code-named her in honor of a teammate of his grandfather. She was brutally murdered by the Crimson Katana during the war.
I suspect that she should probably be Dreadnought's Sidekick rather than an independent character; there isn't enough information to evaluate her abilities beyond 'she has a laser pistol'.
Emerald City Player's Guide wrote:BLAZE (Mary Grindstaff): A 17-year-old who gained flame-based powers after being accidentally caught in the explosion of a Japanese "fire balloon" in December 1944. The team's sole surviving member, after the war she capped off a colorful and semi-famous life by penning a candid book about her super-heroic experiences.
Her modern stats are on p. 18 of Secrets of Emerald City; I'd suggest dropping her Ranged Attack to 4, her Will to 9 or less, and removing her Connected and Well-Informed advantages to represent her PL 6 teenage incarnation.
Emerald City Player's Guide wrote:DR. SPECTRE (Tom Kovack): A formerly mundane man who was in involuntary contact with the spirit world, and could temporarily channel it to gain supernatural abilities. Postwar, he was eventually driven mad by his abilities and died in a mental hospital.
I'm assuming that his supernatural abilities were mystical rather than making him a supernatural paragon or powerhouse.

Dr. Spectre -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 1, STA 0, AGL 1, DEX 3, FGT 4, INT 1, AWE 3, PRE 3
Powers: Knows Things Man Was Not Meant To Know: Enhanced Skill 5 (Expertise: Magic 10); Sees Things Man Was Not Meant To See: Senses 3 (Mystic Awareness, Analytical, Radius); Spell of Protection and Levitation: Enhanced Defenses 4 (Dodge 2, Parry 2), Flight 3 (15 MPH), Sustained Protection 10; Magic Spells: Array (20 points): Magic Bolt (Ranged Damage 10), AE: Ghost Hands (Perception Move Object 5, Precise, Subtle 2), AE: Phantasms (Illusion 3 vs. All Senses, Area (30 cubic feet), Resistible by Will, Selective).
Advantages: Accurate Attack, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Trance,
Skills: Expertise: Magic 10 (+11), Insight 6 (+9), Investigation 4 (+5), Perception 4 (+7)
Offense: Unarmed +4, Close Damage DC 16, Crit 20; Magic Blast +6, Ranged Damage 25, Crit 20.
Defense: Dodge 6/4, Parry 6/4, Fortitude 4, Toughness 10/0, Will 8
Totals: Abilities 32+Advantages 6+Skills 7+Powers 50+Defenses 12=107
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation (Despite his personal unhappiness, Dr. Spectre is determined to use these unwanted powers to aid
others.) Mental Illness (The things that he is able to see are slowly damaging his mind and soul.)
Emerald City Player's Guide wrote:THE DREADNOUGHT (Michael Dunn III): Phoebe (Columbia) Dorin’s longtime boyfriend. A brilliant engineer and inventor, Dunn’s grandfather was a Civil War era hero-turned-villain called the Ironclad. Like his ancestor, Dunn employed a suit of powered armor, battling Axis tyranny in an attempt to redeem his family name. A dwarf, Dunn perished in 1946 as a result of complications related to his physical condition.
I patterned the armor on the one Migu-- ahem, Michael used in Worlds of Freedom, but kicked up a few notches.

The Dreadnought -- PL 8

Abilities: STR -1, STA 1, AGL 1, DEX 2, FGT 2, INT 7, AWE 2, PRE 2
Powers: Armor (Removable, -14 points): Radio Communication 1, Ranged Burst Damage 8 (cannon), Enhanced Advantages 6 (Close Attack 6), Enhanced Defenses 10,(Dodge 5, Parry 5), Enhanced Strength 8, Immunity 2 (gas effects), Protection 8, Speed 4 (30 MPH)
Advantages: Eidetic Memory, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Ultimate Effort (Technology), Well-informed
Skills: Expertise: Science 10 (+17), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+6), Technology 10 (+17)
Offense: Initiative +1, Unarmed +8, Close Damage DC 22, Crit 20, Ranged --, Burst Area Damage DC 23.
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 7, Fortitude 3, Toughness 9/1, Will 6
Totals:Abilities 32+Advantages 5+Skills 16+Powers 58+Defenses 6=117
Complications: Dwarf (When not in his Dreadnought, Michael Dunn is often faced with serious physical challenges from his height and build. He also has serious health problems, complicated by his age.) Redemption--Motivation (The Dreadnought tries to make up for his grandfather and
father's history of criminal malfeasance and misuse of technology.)[/code]
Emerald City Player's Guide wrote:MADAME CROSSBOW (Karla Miller): A bored socialite who wielded a crossbow that fired special trick bolts. Throughout the war, she managed to keep her costumed adventures secret from her husband, then retired for good after V-J Day to raise a family.
Madame Crossbow -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 1, STA 1, AGL 4, DEX 5, FGT 4, INT 0, AWE 2, PRE 1
Powers: Crossbow and Trick Quarrels: Array (10 points, Easily Removable): Regular Quarrel (Ranged Damage 5), AE: Flare Quarrel (Ranged Cumulative Affliction 5 [Resisted by Fortitude; Visually Impaired, Visually Disabled, Visually Unaware], Limited to One Sense), AE: Net Quarrel (Ranged Affliction 5 [Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile), Extra Condition, Limited to Two Degrees], AE: Smoke Quarrel (Cloud Area Ranged Concealment Attack 2 [Normal Sight]); Swing Line: Movement 1 (Swinging)
Advantages: Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Crossbow), Precise
Attack (Ranged; Cover), Quick Draw
Skills: Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 4 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+8), Deception 8 (+9), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+6), Insight 4 (+6),
Investigation 6 (+6), Persuasion 8 (9), Ranged Combat: Crossbow 6 (+11), Stealth 6 (+10)
Offense: Initiative +5; Unarmed +8, Close Damage DC 16, Crit 20; Crossbow +11, Ranged Damage DC 21 or Affliction DC 15, Crit 19-20
Defense: Dodge 11, Parry 10, Fortitude 6, Toughness 4/1, Will 8
Totals: Abilities 36+Advantages 10+Skills 29+Powers 9+Defenses 25=109
Complications: Thrills--Motivation (Madame Crossbow is fundamentally doing this to add more excitement to her otherwise boring life.)
Relationship/Secret (She cannot allow her husband to find out what she's doing.)
Emerald City Player's Guide wrote:THE NIGHTWATCHMAN (James Holland): A wealthy crusading attorney by day and well-known radio commentator and playboy by night, he somehow found time to use his superior wits, fighting prowess, and arsenal of gadgets to battle injustice. Throughout the Squadron’s existence, he served as team leader and sponsor, and tried repeatedly and unsuccessfully to maintain and resurrect it after the war until his death in a plane crash in 1950.
A less cynical reader might want to give him a more noble motivation than I do ...

The Nightwatchman -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 2, STA 2, AGL 4, DEX 4, FGT 6, INT 4, AWE 2, PRE 3
Equipment: Headquarters (Size: Huge, Toughness: 10; Features: Concealed, Garage, Gym, Laboratory, Living Space, Power System, Security System, Workshop.) Motorcycle (Medium; Str 1; Speed 6; Defense 10; Toughness 8.) Swingline (Movement 1 [Swinging].) Utility Belt (Array, 12 points: Bolos (Ranged Cumulative Affliction 4 [Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized], Extra Condition, Limited Degree), AE: Boomerangs (Strength-based Ranged Damage 1, Accurate 2), AE: Explosives: (Ranged Burst Area Damage 4), AE: Sword (Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical).
Advantages: Benefit 2 (Well-off), Close Attack 2, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll, Equipment 8, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Inventor, Jack-of-all-trades, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Skill Mastery (Intimidation), Startle, Well-informed.
Skills: Close Combat: Sword 3 (+9), Expertise: Law 7 (+11), Intimidation 8 (+11), Perception 6 (+8), Technology 8 (+12), Treatment 6 (+8),
Vehicles 6 (+10)
Offense: Initiative +8; Unarmed +8, Close Damage DC 17, Crit 20; Sword +11, Close Damage DC 20, Crit 19-20; Boomerangs +13, Ranged Damage DC 18; Bolas +11, Ranged Reflex DC 14
Defense: Dodge 11, Parry 12, Fortitude 6, Toughness 4/2, Will 10
Totals: Abilities 54+Advantages 30+Skills 22+Powers 0+Defenses 25=131
Complications: Glory Hound--Motivation (The Nightwatchman claims to be motivated by a desire for justice, but it's really more about the
attention that he receives, just as his work as an attorney, a radio announcer and a playboy are.) Overcommitted (He has a lot going on in
both his private life and as a hero, and may find it hard to give any one thing his full attention.)
Emerald City Player's Guide wrote:THE SCARLET CYCLONE (William Schallert): Operator of an incredible armored submersible autogyro christened the Albatross, the Scarlet Cyclone was instrumental in defeating the Japanese submarine menace on the West Coast. He was assassinated by ninja working for the Green Dragon Society during the war.
The Scarlet Cyclone -- PL 6

Abilities: STR 0, STA 1, DEX 3, AGL 3, FGT 5, INT 2, AWE 1, PRE 2
Advantages: Beginner’s Luck, Defensive Roll, Elusive Target, Equipment 6 (The Albatross), Favored Environment (flying), Skill Mastery
(Expertise [Mechanical], Vehicles), Ultimate Skill (Pilot)
Skills: Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics 4 (+4), Deception 4 (+6), Expertise: Mechanics 11 (+13), Drive 6 (+9), Insight 3 (+4) Perception 6 (+7),
Technology 6 (+8), Vehicles 11 (+14)
Offense: Initiative +3, Unarmed +5, Close Damage DC 15, Crit 20, Ranged +3*, Ranged Damage varies, Crit varies
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 5, Fortitude 4, Toughness 3/1, Will 4
Totals: Abilities 34+Advantages 11+Skills 27+Defenses 9=81
Complications: Motivation -- Patriotism (William Schallert is a simple man doing what he can to defend his country.) Flyboy (He loves to fly
and it shows.)
Emerald City Player's Guide wrote:#1017 (Takei Hosato): A highly honor-bound Nisei, Takei regarded the internment of his people as such a dishonor he only answered to the prisoner number assigned to his family until he could vindicate their name. Trained in the ancient (sic) arts of the ninja, Takei used his lethal abilities to aid the Allied cause until he fell in battle with the Hinomaru. He is one of the better-remembered Squadron members today, a hero to Emerald City’s Japanese-American population.
The arts of the ninja being only about four hundred years old ...

#1017 -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 1, STA 1, AGL 5, DEX 3, FGT 11, INT 0, AWE 3, PRE 0
Equipment: Sword (Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical), AE: Throwing Discs (Strength-based Ranged Damage 1, Accurate 2)
Advantages: Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Diehard, Equipment, Evasion, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed Strike), Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Improvised Weapon, Language ([Japanese], English),
Move-By Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Skill Mastery (Stealth), Startle, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Break
Skills: Acrobatics 13 (+18), Athletics 8 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+15), Intimidation 8 (+8), Perception 8 (+11), Sleight of Hand 12
(+15), Stealth 13 (+18)
Offense: Initiative +9, Unarmed +15 (Close Damage DC 16, Crit 19-20), Sword +11 (Close Damage DC 19, Crit 19-20), Throwing Discs +7 (Ranged Damage DC 17)
Defense: Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 5, Toughness 5/1, Will 6
Totals: Abilities 48+Advantages 24+Skills 27+Defenses 13=112
Complications: Redemption--Motivation (#1017 wishes to prove his loyalty to the United States and thus erase the dishonor his family have
suffered.) Prejudice (He's a Japanese-American during World War II. 'Nuff said.) Enemy (The ninjas of the Hinomaru target him first and foremost.)
Emerald City Player's Guide wrote:THE UNKNOWN (Alonzo Cheney): A seemingly superhuman master of disguise who kept his true identity and gender hidden throughout the war, striking from the deepest of covers to defeat Axis agents and acquire their secrets. Cheney’s contact with his teammates grew more sporadic after the war, and ceased entirely during the “Red Scare.” He is presumed dead, but his fate is (fittingly enough) unknown. Ironically, this man of secrets is one of the team’s more famous members today, as he was outed as a bisexual after the war and is now honored by Emerald City’s gay community for his wartime service.
I gave him a few additional stunts from Talent Powers to fit his super-spy image.

The Unknown -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 2, STA 2, AGL 2, DEX 2, FGT 8, INT 2, AWE 2, PRE 2
Powers: Master of Disguise (Morph 2 (Other People), Continuous, Deception Check Required (DC 12), Standard Action), Master Escape Artist (Insubstantial 1, Limited to Escaping), Situational Awareness (Senses 1 (Danger Sense)), Unfazeable (Immunity 5 (Interaction Skills))
Equipment: 10 points of Equipment as needed (typically including a light pistol (Ranged Damage 3))
Advantages: Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 2, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Move-by Action
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+6), Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+10), Deception 9 (+11), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+6), Insight 4 (+6),
Perception 4 (+6), Sleight of Hand 4 (+6), Stealth 7 (+9), Technology 4 (+6)
Offense: Initiative +6, Unarmed +10 (Close Damage DC 17, Crit 20)
Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 6/2, Will 8
Totals: Abilities 44+Advantages 8+Skills 20+Powers 16+Defenses 18=110
Complications: Patriotism--Motivation: The Unknown serves his country because he loves it, and wishes it loved him. Secret: The Unknown keeps his real name, gender and sexual orientation secret even from his allies.