World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
RainOnTheSun

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Horus! Hercules! The Ultima! Sentinels of Emeraldias!

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Hm, I notice she doesn't appear to have a stepbrother...
Shock

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Horus! Hercules! The Ultima! Sentinels of Emeraldias!

Post by Shock »

I like this group of characters. They're not obvious "good" or "bad" guys so they could fill either role depending on what the PCs are up to.
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:22 am Hm, I notice she doesn't appear to have a stepbrother...
She has a half-brother who's still a pirate, but he's not someone the Captain spends a lot of time worrying about.
Shock wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm I like this group of characters. They're not obvious "good" or "bad" guys so they could fill either role depending on what the PCs are up to.
This is pretty much my goal, since 'heroes' on Verecia are often a lot more questionable than those on Earth-Prime.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Viktar the Valiant

Far to the north of Emeraldias, in a narrow stretch of land east of Chelgrim's Teeth and south of the Icewall, there are many barbarians who have yet to learn the value of armor beyond simple clothing, and sometimes not even that. From this place came Viktar the Valiant, mercenary and rogue, down into the Empire of the Azure Throne to seek his fortune. He enjoyed some small success in this pursuit, gaining a reputation as a capable captain, but by the time his path led him to Emeraldias, anything he'd gained beyond reputation had already been spent.

Naturally, he was keen to improve his fortunes, and became one of the first adventurers to attach his banner to that of the Princess, swearing his sword to her. For his heroics in her service, she has rewarded him with the title of Captain of the Palace Guard, and he is busily training the city's militia to create a credible army for when the contract with the Last Men Standing ends. Despite this, he still finds time to go roving in the hills outside the city, looking for trouble and often finding it.

Viktar's barbaric manner and accent conceal a keen soldier's mind and shrewd judge of character. However, that's not all they conceal. He was in fact raised by an isolated community of savants known as the Foreseers, who trained him to nearly the epitome of human ability. They sent him out into the world as their agent, and have directed him to Emeraldias in order to subtly influence Her Majesty's government in ways that suit the Foreseers.

But the Foreseers are themselves deceived. Viktar, in his journeys in the south, encountered agents of the Servants of the Shield, and came to realize that his personal values were more akin to them than they were to the self-interested Foreseers. He allows his former masters to believe that they still have his loyalty, while working with the agenda of the Servants of the Shield -- which is to turn Emeraldias into a dagger aimed at the heart of the Empire.

Viktar -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 4 | STA 4 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 5 | INT 2 | AWE 2 | PRE 2
Powers: Physical Training (Movement 1 [swinging]; Speed 1), Stunning Blow (Affliction 4 [Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed and Vulnerable, Stunned and Defenseless], Extra Condition, Limited Degree)*.
* AP of Strength Damage.
Equipment: Sword (Strength-based Damage 3).
Advantages: Assessment, Benefit (Captain of the Guard), Close Attack 4, Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 1, Jack-of-all-Trades, Leadership, Minion 1 (Horse), Set-Up, Uncanny Dodge.
Skills: Acrobatics 3 (+7), Athletics 3 (+7), Deception 8 (+10), Expertise: Horsemanship 3 (+7), Expertise: Military 6 (+8), Insight 8 (+10), Intimidation 6 (+8), Perception 6 (+8), Stealth 3 (+7).
Offense: Initiative +4, Unarmed +9 (Close Damage 4), Stunning Blow +9 (Close Fortitude 4), Sword +9 (Close Damage 7).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 6, Toughness 7/4, Will 6.
Totals: Abilities 54 + Powers 4 + Advantages 15 + Skills 23 + Defenses 15 = 111 points
Complications: Hidden Agenda--Motivation. Prejudice (barbarian). Secret.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

You know, part of me wants to see you add more points to the Sentinels of Emeraldias so they could serve as viable PL8/120pp PCs.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 am You know, part of me wants to see you add more points to the Sentinels of Emeraldias so they could serve as viable PL8/120pp PCs.
I think that if they're being used as PCs, you should let the player add some stuff to bring them up to that level.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:28 am
Voltron64 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 am You know, part of me wants to see you add more points to the Sentinels of Emeraldias so they could serve as viable PL8/120pp PCs.
I think that if they're being used as PCs, you should let the player add some stuff to bring them up to that level.

Well unfortunately for you, I suck at that! :D
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 am
Well unfortunately for you, I suck at that! :D
Improve. :twisted:
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Stone Singer

He doesn't often tell his own story, for the bard's way is to make the stories one is telling more interesting than oneself. From comments he's made, it seems that he was born in the Witchlands, the victim of some curse -- or perhaps just afflicted by a miscast spell -- that made his skin grow tough as stone as he grew older. At some point, he must have fled the lands of his birth, or he would likely have become a warrior in some witch's army. Instead he found his way to the Bandit Kingdoms and joined up with a group of travelling entertainers, at first as a strongman.

But the call of the bard was on him, and he was tutored in its arts by the circus' chief performer. The novelty of having his deep, booming voice declaiming the ancient songs earned him fame and the company wealth, and convinced the group's master of ceremonies that they could find even more of both in the Empire. So they journeyed to the west, and found some of what they were seeking.

But then the master had the brilliant idea of using the hypnotic properties of the Stone Singer's voice to seize control of one of the Imperial Governors. The Singer found himself uncomfortable with this notion, as he'd only ever used this talent as a way to defend himself or his friends. Unwilling to go along with the plan, he informed the authorities, and thus was the only member of the circus not to be arrested and tossed into prison. The entire affair left him very disenchanted with the legal system of the Empire, but also ensured that he had an 'understanding' with the keepers of the Labyrinth, ensuring he could travel where he liked.

Those journeys took him to Emeraldias, where he played for the court and attracted the interest of the Princess, who employed him in her schemes from an early point. He went along with this, as he hadn't gone with the master's schemes, because he sees an intriguing story playing out. As long as that story remains interesting, he will be satisfied to serve as the Princess' court bard, often employing his stone speech to deliver messages from the throne to denizens of the city.

The Stone Singer -- PL8

Abilities: STR 11 | STA 12 | AGL 0 | DEX -2 | FGT 4 | INT 1 | AWE 1 | PRE 4
Powers: Powerful Voice (Array: Cumulative Hearing Area Affliction 6 [Resisted by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled], Concentration Duration, Instant Recovery, AP: Selective Area Auditory Communication 3), Stone Body (Feature 3 [mass]; Immunity 8 [aging, cold, critical hits, disease, heat, poison, pressure, vaccum]; Impervious Toughness 5)
Advantages: Benefit (Court Bard), Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Smash, Interpose, Ultimate Effort (Toughness checks)
Skills: Athletics 2 (+13), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+5), Expertise: History 4 (+5), Expertise: Performance 8 (+12), Perception 6 (+7), Persuasion 3 (+7)
Offense: Initiative +0, Unarmed +5 (Close Damage 11), Hypnotic Song -- (Hearing Area Will 6).
Defense: Dodge 2, Parry 4, Fortitude 12, Toughness 12, Will 4
Totals: Abilities 62 + Powers 35 + Advantages 6 + Skills 12 + Defenses 5 = 120
Complications: Artistry--Motivation. Prejudice (obviously inhuman). Power Loss (Powerful Voice is blocked by water).
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I really like how compact these character sheet looks and feel: great work ;)
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 am I really like how compact these character sheet looks and feel: great work ;)
... thanks! (I think.)

No update tonight. Tomorrow: Beneichen the Puppet-Man.

Then: The Castle Crow.

And: A trip eastward from these characters' environs to Freedom's Reach.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:35 am
Woodclaw wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 am I really like how compact these character sheet looks and feel: great work ;)
... thanks! (I think.)

No update tonight. Tomorrow: Beneichen the Puppet-Man.

Then: The Castle Crow.

And: A trip eastward from these characters' environs to Freedom's Reach.
Nothing on the local lycanthrope or doppelganger?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 am
Nothing on the local lycanthrope or doppelganger?
Ach, you're right. Okay, schedule subject to change without notice.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Beneichen, the Puppet Man

It is said -- though only they of the Crown know all -- that an elderly lady wizard once lived not far from Emeraldias. As with many wizards, she had not discovered the secret of the long years until after she had already lived many true years, and many of the joys of a life outside of the pursuit of wizardry had passed her by ... the joy of motherhood among them. Of course, the joy of wizardry was that it could provide a reasonable substitute for all the other joys there were.

And so one day she set out to make a child for herself, out of magically toughened wood. Giving her creation a mind was actually the easiest part. Investing his frame with the power to move freely, rather than at the directions of whoever held his strings, took a lot more doing. Yet she managed it, and named her son 'Beneichen', and began to teach him the secrets of the universe, delighting in his innocence.

One day, Beneichen found that he could not rouse his mother from her slumber, and decided that some sickness must have come upon her. Knowing nothing of how to treat the sick, he set out from the wizard's tower for the first time, and flew quickly to Emeraldias to seek out the help of a physician-priest. He chanced to arrive just as the Princess was paying a visit of her own to the temple. Fascinated by the creature, Her Majesty offered to accompany him to the tower, confirming her suspicions ... and then accepting the burden of explaining what death meant to a child.

Alone in the world, Beneichen chose to return to Emeraldias with the only other being who had ever shown any concern for him, and do her bidding just as he had once done his mother's. Her page is not taken very seriously, even by most of Her Majesty's other allies, but he has fought bravely on her behalf in the past and will do so again. Yet his true goal is to explore the world that his mother tried to teach him about, and the limits of the magic that allows him to move. He is sure that he can do much more than he has already done.

There are, after all, no strings on him.

Beneichen -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 5/0 | STA -- | AGL 4 | DEX 2 | FGT 6 | INT 2 | AWE 4 | PRE 0
Powers: Body of Wood (Immunity 50 [Fortitude Effects, Mental Effects]; Protection 4; Permanent Shrinking 4, Innate), Moves Without Strings (Array: Flight 5, AP: Enhanced Strength 5)
Equipment: Knife (Strength-based Damage 1, Improved Critical), Buckler (Enhanced Dodge 1, Enhanced Parry 1)
Advantages: Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment, Improved Initiative
Skills: Close Combat: Knife 4 (+10), Deception 2 (+2), Expertise: Magic 4 (+6), Perception 6 (+10)
Offense: Initiative +8, Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 5/0), Knife +10 (Close Damage 6/1, Crit 19-20)
Defense: Dodge 8/7, Parry 10/9, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 6/4, Will 4
Totals:
Abilities 28 + Powers 74 + Advantages 4 + Skills 8 + Defenses 2 = 116 points
Complications: Exploring the World and Himself--Motivation. Prejudice (inhuman). Vulnerable (Fire).
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Inexplicably the picture fills me with mild terror.

I am also amused by the Moves Without Strings flight. I like that.