World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Fyirwhrx! Nero! The Beacon! The Scarab and the Ankh! Project Freedom!

Post by Davies »

Ultiteen

Born in 1899, Quo-Dis is still only a teenager by the standards of the Ultima -- she won't be considered an adult until she passes her second century. She should still be cossetted in the Ultima's academies, taking as long as she needs to master Vril-Ya. Instead, in 2007, she was chosen as the ideal candidate to serve as a monitor of activities in Freedom City, and specifically the Claremont Academy. She eagerly accepted this opportunity, excited as any teenager to be able to get away from home.

Enrolling at Claremont under the name Alexandra Quotient, her excitement lasted the lifespan of the proverbial snowball in hell. Everyone, everything was so noisy! And there were so very many people here, with strange ways of acting and talking and just being! Nothing she had experienced had prepared her for high school, and she soon sank into misery, attending classes and hiding in her dorm room the rest of the time.

A year into her time at Claremont, things started to look up. She was taken to meet the human-born Ultima, Charlie Graham, and while she was startled at how demonstrative the other woman was -- even Quo-Dis' mother had only ever hugged her once -- she warmed up to Charlie. Studying alongside her, seeing how quickly she developed her powers, inspired Quo-Dis to push herself just that extra bit as well, and she gained confidence from her successes. Also, her grandfather sent her a companion, a genetically engineered 'dog' whom she named Huan, who became her constant companion. Finally, she made an effort to participate in school activities, taking up boxing.

The biggest shock of her life came a year later, when she learned that Huan was actually just as intelligent as she was. She immediately realized that there had been many hints that this was the case, and felt quite foolish for not seeing it before. Huan forgave her, and they soon developed a genuine friendship. Charlie was actually more upset about the whole situation than either of them, and they were both surprised to learn that their friend was leaving Ultima Thule. Well, since that meant that they got to see her, it was a good thing.

After graduating Claremont Academy in 2010, Quo-Dis' assignment in the outer world changed. She has become a roving agent of the Ultima Prime, travelling (thanks to Huan) all over the world to investigate matters that come to his attention. Even without his orders, they move from place to place frequently, to avoid attracting too much attention to themselves. Quo-Dis was recently startled to realize that there is less than two years remaining in her assignment, at which point she'll be expected to return to Ultima Thule.

For someone who didn't like the outside world very much, she's a bit ambivalent about that ...

Ultiteen -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 8 | STA 8 | AGL 1 | DEX 3 | FGT 8 | INT 1 | AWE 1 | PRE 0
Powers: Levitation (Flight 5), Telepathy (Mental Communication 1; Comprehend Languages 2), The Power Primeval (Ranged Damage 8), Ultiman Invulnerability (Immunity 4 [aging, sleep, suffocation], Limited to Half Effect; Immunity 7 [cold, disease, heat, poison, pressure, radiation, vaccuum]; Regeneration 5).
Advantages: Beginner's Luck, Defensive Attack.
Skills: Expertise: History 4 (+5), Perception 3 (+4), Ranged Attack: Power Primeval 5 (+8).
Offense: Initiative +1, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 8), Power Primeval +8 (Ranged Damage 8).
Defense: Dodge 5, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 8, Will 6.
Totals: Abilities 60 + Powers 54 + Advantages 2 + Skills 6 + Defenses 11 = 133 points.
Complications: Duty--Motivation. Friendship (Huan). Secret. Shyness.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Shock

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Fyirwhrx! Nero! The Beacon! The Scarab and the Ankh! Project Freedom!

Post by Shock »

There must be a lot of conflict between juveniles and adults in Ultima Thule. The adults essentially treat the young as second class citizen well beyond the time they're capable of acting as adults. It's surprising that doesn't result in more youthful rebellion than it does.

Also, I love that picture for Ultiteen.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:33 pm There must be a lot of conflict between juveniles and adults in Ultima Thule. The adults essentially treat the young as second class citizen well beyond the time they're capable of acting as adults. It's surprising that doesn't result in more youthful rebellion than it does.
<nods> And their experience with Kal-Zed has many of them absolutely terrified of Ultima who show signs of fast development. On the other hand, Quo-Dis is the only Ultima teenager -- all the rest of her generation has already reached the two hundred year mark -- with the most of the current generation of Ultima 'kids' being between sixty and eighty years old (and presenting as grade-schoolers).
Also, I love that picture for Ultiteen.
Moi aussi! It's the product of a Google Image search for 'blonde superheroine' and I count myself very lucky to have found it. :)
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

Swiping the pic for my own collection.

Checking DeviantArt I see that this is an artist OC:

Name: Chloe Rivers aka Pink Swan.
Powers: Flight, telekinesis, super strength and speed, indestructible.
Loves bubble gum (which I so should have added her blowing a bubble with some, to this image)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Gamebook wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:54 pm
Loves bubble gum (which I so should have added her blowing a bubble with some, to this image)
Perhaps she's just there to kick ass. ;)
Shock

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Horus! Hercules! The Ultima!

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:18 pm <nods> And their experience with Kal-Zed has many of them absolutely terrified of Ultima who show signs of fast development. On the other hand, Quo-Dis is the only Ultima teenager -- all the rest of her generation has already reached the two hundred year mark -- with the most of the current generation of Ultima 'kids' being between sixty and eighty years old (and presenting as grade-schoolers).
But they must develop mentally much faster than they do physically. Otherwise, their ability to learn must be so stunted they'd never be able to keep up with developments outside of Ultima Thule. Which implies the adults must keep the "grade school" kids in an awfully oppressive bubble that they must surely chafe against.

On the other hand, with such a long lived race (both individuals and the civilization as whole) and no competition for resources, "graduation" to adulthood could easily be delayed by an order of magnitude over human society. You can actually kind of already see it in the real world with the increasing age of first time parents among more well-off communities and college students spending more time at home even after graduation. Children (and younger adults) that aren't forced to grow up as fast as they had to 100 years ago can take advantage by taking more time to grow before going out on their own.

Heh, didn't mean that to turn into a sociological discussion ;}
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Come to think of it, what do you suppose happened to the other kids featured in Hero High Yearbook and Hero High Exchange Students once they graduated?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:17 pm
Gamebook wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:54 pm
Perhaps she's just there to kick ass. ;)
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

New phone, Quo-Dis?

Ahahaha! Hahaha! Haha... ha...

Ahem

Verecian?
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:48 am
Verecian?
Of or relating to the world of Verecia, as described in Worlds of Freedom and Warriors and Warlocks -- a swords and sorcery world with superpowered characters, such as the Freedom Guard. Also the home of the White Lady and her Leslie.
Last edited by Davies on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:28 am Come to think of it, what do you suppose happened to the other kids featured in Hero High Yearbook and Hero High Exchange Students once they graduated?
I suspect that that's a theme that I might pursue for a while.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Artisan
Aka Yod-Ash

Yod-Ash was one of the second generation of the Ultima, born sometime after the Cataclysm and after the first Ultima Prime developed a way for the children of the first generation to come to term. He declines to state exactly when he was born, since the calendar that they used was too different from that of the modern era to make any sense at all. He will state that he and El-Kem were cousins, and that they married and had a child long before she was seduced away by the wonders of the outside world.

For his part, Yod-Ash was more concerned about exploring the inner world. He became a student of the first Master of Telepathy, eventually assuming the title himself when his elder retired to a life of contemplation. Yet unlike the elder, he also had an interest in the workings of vril. When he wasn't teaching telepathic techniques to his peers and the younger generation, he studied some of the more esoteric ways the Power Primeval could be used.

Sometime around 800 BCE, he discovered a means to bind the energies of the vril into objects -- which were quickly consumed by the powers within them, but which proved to have many uses. This proved to be a revolution in the Ultima's civilization, and so he received the unique title of 'the Artisan'. He would have preferred it to be a title he could pass on to a pupil, but so far he has been singularly unlucky in passing on his technique to anyone.

It was his frustration with this that likely drove him to leave Ultima Thule for the first time in his long life, in the early 19th century. His travels took him to Europe, where El-Kem had met her end, and he spent some time in the company of her son, Er-Kel. And then, in the year outer worlders called 1839, the announcement was made that a method of making a photographic image within minutes had been discovered by Louis Daguerre ... and whatever sensation the rest of the world experienced could not possibly have compared to what Yod-Ash felt.

This was something that the technologies of Atlantis, and that of the Ultima which built on them, had never even considered. The Ultima could make recordings of mental images -- for that matter, Yod-Ash had made many himself -- but to paint an image exactly as it was, without the need of a mediating intelligence? It was the purest novelty that he had ever encountered, and he knew that he had to know more. And so what was meant to be a vacation of a decade became a voyage that has lasted until the present day.

He would be caught off guard once more, when the mortals discovered a method of stringing together many photographic images and projecting them onto a screen, creating the illusion of motion. But this too only increased his fascination, and he studied the art of moving pictures in as much detail as he studied photography. Phonography and radio caught some of his interest, though it was muted, since such techniques were well known to the Ultima. Still, there was a certain joy to be found in what were new notions to the mortals.

His journeys took him to Germany in the 1920s, and Yod-Ash remained there even after the Nazis took over. Until 1939, he was inclined to view these mortals as simply another group of odious dictators whose reach would surely exceed their grasp, and no problem for him. And then he learned that a renegade member of his people, the boy Kal-Zed, had joined forces with them, and his world tilted again. What would happen if the Nazis learned that yet another Ultima was among them? Perhaps he should leave ...

... and yet. While certainly not a devout foe of evil, Yod-Ash had always tried to use his powers to assist those in need that he encountered in his journeys, whenever possible. If these people now suffered under a truly mythic dictatorship, shouldn't he try to aid them by opposing it? With a heavy and uncertain heart, he proceeded to do so, assisting underground movements against the Nazis as much as he could, and making his services available to foreign intelligence networks.

In the process, he encountered the lone survivor of a small village in Poland, and recorded the man's memories of what he saw the day that the Ubermensch came. When the war finally ended, Yod-Ash knew his duty and brought those memories back to the Ultima, so they could see for themselves what Kal-Zed had done. To his mild horror, they decided that the 'movie' should be shown to every Ultima who reached adolescence, which had certainly not been Yod-Ash's intention -- it should be saved, like the movies of the Cataclysm and Gotterdammerung, for when they were adults!

The argument that resulted sent him back into the outside world, and he decided to travel to Hollywood and continue his studies of film there. He has remained there ever since, occasionally offering mentoring to young filmmakers, such as when he assisted a young man from Modesto, in the process letting a few ideas slip about the education of children with superhuman powers that would be of great influence decades later. He finds this a bit embarrassing, and it is unwise to use the term 'padawan' around him.

Most recently, Yod-Ash has acted as a mentor for Charlie Graham, teaching her the subtleties of telepathy. He's quite impressed with her talent, and in light of her demonstrated abilities with Vril-Ya, he wonders whether this time he might have found a new Artisan. Particularly since he suspects, without proof, that he might be her remote ancestor.

The Artisan -- PL 12

Abilities: STR 10 | STA 12 | AGL 3 | DEX 5 | FGT 6 | INT 4 | AWE 6 | PRE 5
Powers: Levitation (Flight 7), Predictive Defenses (Enhanced Defenses 12 [Dodge 6, Parry 6], Quirk [not against foes Immune to Mental Effects]), Shielded Mind (Impervious Will 12), Telepathy (Feature 2 [ I Am A Camera]; Mental Communication 2; Comprehend Languages 2; Array: Cumulative Mind Reading 12, AP: Illusion 9, Resistable by Will, AP: Perception Range Affliction 12 [Resisted and Overcome by Will; Dazed, Stunned, Asleep], AP: Remote Sensing 12 [mental, visual]), The Power Primeval (Array: Ranged Damage 10, AP: Illusion 6 [auditory and visual], AP: Perception Range Move Object 6), Ultiman Invulnerability (Immortality 5; Immunity 12 (aging, life support, sleep); Regeneration 5).
Advantages: Artisan*, Assessment, Connected, Eidetic Memory, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Jack-of-all-Trades, Ranged Attack 7, Redirect, Taunt.
Skills: Deception 8 (+13), Expertise: Art 18 (+22), Expertise: History 12 (+16), Insight 12 (+18), Investigation 8 (+12), Perception 12 (+18), Technology 8 (+12).
Offense: Initiative +3, Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 10), Power Primeval +12 (Ranged Damage 10), Sleep Effect -- (Perception Range Will 12).
Defense: Dodge 12/6, Parry 12/6, Fortitude 12, Toughness 12, Will 12.
Totals: Abilities 101 + Powers 133 + Advantages 16 + Skills 39 + Defenses 9 = 298 points
Complications: Seeks Art--Motivation. Responsibility (the Ultima). Secret.

* Works like Inventor, but for Expertise: Art.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Amphitryon I presume?

And he’s as of late been to artists and directors what Daedalus has been to inventors?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:20 pm Amphitryon I presume?
No. Anything the Greeks wrote about Hercules' mother and her relationship with Zeus was lies.
Voltron64 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:20 pm And he’s as of late been to artists and directors what Daedalus has been to inventors?
Somewhat, yes.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I like using Expertise:Art for Inventor. Art so exquisite it's like magic.