World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Freedom Legion Members! And Enemies!

Post by Davies »

Grandmother Raven

Born in 1954, Katherine McCloud's life was a sadly typical one for a daughter of the Sunset Lake Reserve in northern Ontario. Alcoholism, abuse, and neglect were the common themes of her life, and by high school she had turned to drugs and drinking herself to cope with her pain, and blot out the strange dreams she kept having. But when she found herself pregnant and alone, Katherine summoned all her will to change her life, not just for herself, but for the daughter she sensed growing within her.

Her grandmother was a strong ally in this struggle, and she also helped Katherine to understand that her dreams were visions from the spirits. Enduring a vision quest during her delivery, Katherine met with the Great Raven, who revealed to her that she was meant to become a symbol for all the Anisinabe, the people of the land. It was the beginning of a long period of a study, as she learned what it meant to be a mother and one who walked the old ways.

Her abilities were put to their first test in Katherine's twentieth summer, when Lady Starbright pursued General Winter across Ontario, being drawn into a fight with the Russian elemental near Sunset Lake. To protect the people, Katherine took up her staff and joined the fight. This was the first time she used the magic which allowed her to bring the sun to the earth, as the Great Raven had once done, and it sent the General fleeing ... which was good, for neither Katherine nor Lady Starbright had any fight left in them.

The two young superheroes immediately realized that they had much to learn from each other, and traveled together for several years. Mother Raven, as Katherine became known, grew in wisdom and power on this journey. But it was not without its darker moments, such as when she accidentally caused the death of another single mother, whose son swore to avenge his loss on her and all super-beings. He would grow up to become her recurring nemesis, Mister Matthews, the mad sorcerer-scientist behind Matthews Gen-Tech.

In 1982, Lady Starbright fell in battle, and no one mourned as much as Mother Raven. She immediately agreed with the Centurion's idea of a new team of heroes and joined this Guard. Somehow, she managed to balance helping her fellow superheroes, a career as an artist and educator, and her role as mother to her daughter, Marian. After a decade of all this, however, she found herself more than ready to ease back on her global responsibilities in favor of more local ones, and didn't particularly mourn the passing of the Guard.

Time passed, and Katherine saw her daughter grow into a young woman who was everything she'd once hoped she could be. She was a bit disappointed when Marian showed no sign of hearing the voices of the spirits, but decided that this meant she must be doing something right, and that the time had not come for her to abandon her vigil. She changed her name to Grandmother Raven in 2001, when Marian and her husband welcomed their first child, Michael. Thanks to the illusions of her staff, her heroic identity still looks much the same as it did twenty years ago, but her actual hair has long since gone white.

In recent years, Grandmother Raven has started teaching Michael the old ways, as he has heard the voices. Marian is only partially all right with this; she has no problem with the magic side, but the notion of her son going on to become a superhero doesn't exactly sit well with her. Neither does Katherine's resumption of her own heroic career, which Marian believes mostly involves helping white people with their problems. The two women have actually quarrelled about the subject, and nothing has yet been resolved. Katherine is determined to help her old friends and continue to be an emissary for the old ways, as a member of the Old Guard.

She has already seen positive results come from this, in an alliance between her team and the science hero Dr. Sane, which saw not only the destruction of Mister Matthews' latest scientific blasphemy but also resulted in him being removed as the CEO of his own company, thanks to some financial maneuvering by Dr. Sane. While Katherine is grimly aware that Mister Matthews is still a wealthy and dangerous foe, his next schemes will be undertaken without the full resources of a multinational corporation. She believes in taking victory where she can.

Grandmother Raven - PL 8

Abilities: STR 0 | STA 2 | AGL 0 | DEX 1 | FGT 2 | INT 4 | AWE 9 | PRE 5
Powers: Mind Shield (Impervious Will 12), Mystic Senses (Senses 6 [extended vision, low-light vision, mystic awareness, visual counters illusion]), Raven's Staff (Burst Area Visual Concealment Attack 4, Concentration; Environment 2 [light], Concentration; Linked Concealment 10, Limited to shadows, and Insubstantial 3 [magic]; Flight 6, Quirk [cannot hover]; Illusion 8 [all senses], Resistable by Will; Morph 1; Movement 2 [dimensional movement (mystical dimensions)]; Linked Burst Area Ranged Damage 8, Tiring, and Burst Area Ranged Affliction 8 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware], Limited to Visual Senses; Easily Removable)
Advantages: Defensive Roll, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Inspire, Languages 2 (Chippewa, Ojibwa, Crow, Tlingit, [English is native]), Ritualist, Taunt, Teamwork.
Skills: Athletics 4 (+4), Deception 8 (+13), Expertise: Art 8 (+12), Expertise: Magic 12 (+16), Insight 8 (+17), Perception 9 (+18), Persuasion 8 (+13), Stealth 4 (+4), Treatment 9 (+13).
Offense: Initiative +4, Unarmed +2 (Close Damage 0), Sun's Kiss -- (Burst Area Damage 8 and Affliction 8, Resisted by Dodge).
Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 4/2, Will 12.
Totals: Abilities 46 + Powers 89 + Advantages 9 + Skills 35 + Defense 21 = 200 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Prejudice (First Nations). Enemy (Mr. Matthews). Family.

Note: In her prime, her Sun's Kiss attack was a Linked Burst Area Ranged Damage 12 and Burst Area Ranged Affliction 12 attack, and she was PL 12.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:11 pmShe has already seen positive results come from this, in an alliance between her team and the science hero Dr. Sane, which saw not only the destruction of Mister Matthews' latest scientific blasphemy but also resulted in him being removed as the CEO of his own company, thanks to some financial maneuvering by Dr. Sane. While Katherine is grimly aware that Mister Matthews is still a wealthy and dangerous foe, his next schemes will be undertaken without the full resources of a multinational corporation. She believes in taking victory where she can.
Zane also did some telepathic mindf***ery on Mister Matthews too, just to kick the villain while he was down.

That may cause some very negative consequences for all involved though...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:05 pm
Davies wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:11 pmShe has already seen positive results come from this, in an alliance between her team and the science hero Dr. Sane, which saw not only the destruction of Mister Matthews' latest scientific blasphemy but also resulted in him being removed as the CEO of his own company, thanks to some financial maneuvering by Dr. Sane. While Katherine is grimly aware that Mister Matthews is still a wealthy and dangerous foe, his next schemes will be undertaken without the full resources of a multinational corporation. She believes in taking victory where she can.
Zane also did some telepathic mindf***ery on Mister Matthews too, just to kick the villain while he was down.
No. He did not.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:07 pm
Voltron64 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:05 pm
No. He did not.
Alright, he didn't.

It's just I've been watching Legion lately...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Arkrite wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:09 am My honest suggestion for DA:I is "ignore the side quests unless they seem story related".

Most of the side quests are fetch quests that waste your time and aren't worth the rewards they offer.
The big problem is that it wastes your time while burning you out on the game play and slowly kills any interest you had in the story.
Or at least that was my experience.

Honestly I enjoyed the story from the first Mass Effect more than the DA stuff, but I remember the Mako being a disaster, and I honestly don't remember the gameplay... at all. Which is not a good sign. ;~)
Funny,i never minded the side quest's in the DA games.Of course,i tend to have a bad habit of grinding when there's no need,so.....
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:41 pm Bolt III
But there was one big exception. In his Golden Age incarnation, Ray had served in the Army Air Corps as a bomber pilot, including a spell where he was shot down and held in a German POW camp, from which he led an escape. During that escape, one of his crew, Dave Richmond, discovered a magic ring that granted him a weaker set of powers much like Captain Thunder's. In the post-war years, Captain Thunder spent a great deal of time keeping his friend Dave out of allegedly funny hijinx that the magic ring got him into.

In the revised history, Dave Richmond had been part of the crew of a bomber piloted by one Maxwell Kole, and it was the latter who discovered the magic ring. Max Kole was not a particularly bad man, but he wasn't a very good one, either, and he used these powers under the alias Bolt, in a never-ending quest to make life easier for himself and Dave. The original Bolt had ultimately ended up shot by the police in 1954. Dave managed to get hold of the ring, but never used it himself, believing (correctly) that it was cursed. He'd died seven years later in a rooming house in Trenton.
The original Bolt was one of my favorite Noir book characters,so it was nice to see how you incorporated Max into Worl of Freedom 3.2,thanks!:D
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:52 pm
The original Bolt was one of my favorite Noir book characters,so it was nice to see how you incorporated Max into Worl of Freedom 3.2,thanks!:D
Thank you! He's not the only Noir character who'll get namechecked in the Old Guard series, of which there are three more to come.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:11 am
MacynSnow wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:52 pm
Thank you! He's not the only Noir character who'll get namechecked in the Old Guard series, of which there are three more to come.
I'm guessing Black Bowman,Revenant,The Shinning knight and Sliver Banshee....
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Voltron64 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:08 pm Alright, he didn't.

It's just I've been watching Legion lately...
One of the odd things with Zane was that he kind of took a person's mind as sacrosanct and wouldn't do any kind of permanent changes or mind control. For a time the only freedom he had was his own mind and he can't even contemplate taking that from somebody else.

Now being a complete and utter smug jerk-ass about the situation? That's completely in his wheelhouse.

In fact it might be what his wheelhouse is made out of! :lol:
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Freedom Legion Members! And Enemies! The Old Guard!

Post by Davies »

Slipstream

Ema'Ge 412 of the Second Region (a slave name, and one he has chosen to abandon) was born about 1600 years ago on the planet Parousia, which orbits the sun named Barnard's Star by Terran astronomers. Like all the humanoid natives of Parousia, he was born into slavery inflicted on them by the reptilian Haud. From the moment he came to understand the circumstances of his life, Ema'Ge was determined to fight to bring about the freedom of his people. Unfortunately, his attempts to achieve this failed, and he and his comrades were forced to flee in a Haud flyer, pursued by a Haud destroyer. Their flight brought them to the Sol system, where both ships crashed on Earth, specifically in the deserts of what would be Nevada.

Ema'Ge was the sole survivor of the Parousian crew, and he was injured enough that he had to use the flyer's medical kit to enter a regenerative sleep. It took more than a thousand years to heal his wounds, and by then the ships had been covered in earth, prompting the kit to keep him in the trance until the situation changed. That happened on January 18, 1956, with the last test of what the Americans dubbed Operation Project 56, which accidentally detonated its nuclear warhead. The tremors caused by the ground blast killed the medical kit, awakening Ema'Ge, and allowing him to dig his way free.

Escaping from the Army proved trivial, given how slowly these humanoids moved. It didn't take long for Ema'Ge to realize that this world, these United States, was almost exactly what he'd always imagined a freed Parousia would look like. Admittedly full of inequities and iniquity, which he'd pretended wouldn't exist, but the ideals of freedom and justice were present. If his own world was forever lost to him, then he would fight to defend what was worthy about this new one. And he was going to have to fight anyway, he realized to his horror, for the Haud who'd pursued him had also been awakened in this new age, and were scheming to rule this world too!

Ema'Ge became the superhero Slipstream, and fought against the Haud and other supervillains over the next decade. When he assisted the Freedom League in fighting the Haud in 1962, he was invited to join the team, but regretfully turned them down, fearing their reaction when they learned that he was himself an alien. He kept fighting the good fight until 1968, when a desperate battle against the Haud, temporarily allied with the human terrorists known as SHADOW, forced him to push his speedster abilities further than he'd ever pushed them before, destroying the Haud's superweapon but apparently disintegrating himself.

In fact, he survived, but was thrown into a tangential reality that he would later describe as the Speed Realm, where he could observe the passage of time on Earth but was unable to affect anything there. He'd gone half-mad from isolation by the time Lady Starbright was also thrown into the Speed Realm by a weapon of her enemy, the Artificer, in 1974. When they met, Slipstream believed that they were both trapped there forever, and so he revealed his full history to her, the first time he'd ever confided in a Terran. But Lady Starbright refused to give up, and by combining their powers they were able to escape the Speed Realm.

Still unsettled by his experiences, Slipstream decided that he should retire from superheroics, and finally take the chance to live a mundane life among the Americans he so admired. While hoping he would change his mind, Lady Starbright used her contacts with AEGIS (who still remembered Slipstream's sacrifice, and were glad to help) to create the identity of Johnny Smith, college student. He pursued his education at Empire State University, eventually becoming an English teacher there. Not until 1982 did he resume his secret identity, when he joined with many other heroes to attempt to rescue Lady Starbright from her enemies.

Attempt ... and sadly fail. Slipstream mourned his friend and savior, and agreed to join the Guard proposed by the Centurion in her memory. Mindful of how much had changed over the years, he revealed his true nature to his teammates, and was happy to be accepted by them. In particular, he was befriended by Anthony Thames, the Gauntlet, who had been given the artifact from which he took his name by an organization of alien law-enforcers, the Mihral, and had thus no problems with aliens.

The proudest moment of Slipstream's time with the Guard was when they travelled to Barnard's Star in a borrowed starship, pursued by Jade Naga, the leader of the Haud on Earth. There they discovered that the Haud Empire had become decadent and collapsed to just the two worlds in this star system, and were able to overthrow its rule of Parousia with relative ease. Jade Naga was assassinated by the corrupt rulers of B'jum for his 'failures', and though it seemed likely that the Haud would try to reconquer Parousia, they would not find it nearly as easy prey as they had more than a millennium ago. But the journey also had its somber side, for it confirmed to Slipstream that he would never be able to go home again.

After the death of the Centurion and the disbanding of the Guard, Slipstream and the Gauntlet were both accepted as members of the new Freedom League. They both served with valor and distinction in the first few years of the team's existence. And then, in 1996, it all came crashing down. The Mihral revealed their true nature as an expansionistic alien empire, and attempted to force Anthony to join them in their power grab. Slipstream immediately defended his oldest friend, but was critically injured in the fray that followed.

While Anthony was abandoned by the Mihral, his self-image was in a shambles, and he no longer believed himself trusted by the members of the League. The Gauntlet quit superheroics to become a mercenary 'hero for hire'. Slipstream's injuries, both physical and emotional, kept him out of action for nearly three years. By the time he was ready to return to duty, Johnny Rocket had joined the League, and Slipstream believed that the younger man had far greater potential than he. He chose to retire from superheroics once again, promising that he'd be ready if the League ever needed his help.

When the 'Old Guard' started to take shape, more than a decade later, Slipstream was the first person Caliburn and Grandmother Raven contacted about joining. He agreed, to honor his old friendships, despite the frequent pain and sickness he'd been enduring when he used his speed. It wasn't until he was examined by Dr. Silverback, the team physician, that the truth became apparent. The first aid kit that kept him asleep for more than a thousand years had only slowed his aging process, while stopping it cosmetically. He was approaching the end of his natural lifespan. Slipstream has asked Silverback to keep this under medical confidence, as he has chosen to go out fighting, as Lady Starbright and the Centurion did.

It shouldn't be all that surprising. There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them ...

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 1 | AGL 4 | DEX 2 | FGT 8 | INT 2 | AWE 3 | PRE 3
Powers: Parousian Physiology (Immunity 2 [disease, poison]), Speed Stunts (Array: Multiattack Damage 8, AP: Burst Area Damage 8), Time-Defying Speed (Burrowing 6; Concealment 4 [visual], Limited to when moving; Enhanced Advantages 4 [Defensive Roll 2, Improved Initiative 2]; Enhanced Defenses 8 [Dodge 4, Parry 4]; Movement 3 [wall-crawling 2, water-walking], Limited to while moving; Quickness 10; Speed 12)
Advantages: All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion, Improved Initiative 2, Instant Up, Interpose, Languages 2 (English, Haud, Japanese, Spanish, [Parousian is native]), Move By Action, Set Up, Teamwork
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 8 (+9), Expertise: Teacher 4 (+7), Perception 4 (+7), Technology 6 (+8), Vehicles 6 (+8).
Offense: Initiative +12, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 1), Rapid-fire Punches +8 (Close Multiattack Damage 8), Sonic Boom -- (Burst Area Damage 8).
Defense: Dodge 12/8, Parry 12/8, Fortitude 7, Toughness 4/1, Will 9.
Totals: Abilities 48 + Powers 48 + Advantages 9 + Skills 16 + Defenses 16 = 137 points
Complications: Living Life to the Fullest--Motivation. Enemy (Alice, Queen of Hearts). Secret (dying). Secret Identity (doubled).

Note: In his prime, his Defensive Roll was 4 ranks, his Dodge and Parry defenses were 14, his Speed Stunts effects were rank 12, and his Speed was rank 14. He also wasn't dying.
Last edited by Davies on Wed May 09, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Slipstream makes tatsuie040 feel sad! T_T
(Macyn comes back to the PS4,finds tatsuie crying,gives him a cookie and a One-Punch Man manga,then leads him away)
While i agree that Slipstream's fate is kind of depressing,it makes him a much more intresting character(especially if he has any legacies,which you never said...).
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:27 am While i agree that Slipstream's fate is kind of depressing,it makes him a much more intresting character(especially if he has any legacies,which you never said...).
The story of how he and the original Guard helped liberate Parousia has inspired a few young Parousians to try and refit a Haud starcraft to come to Earth and thank him/them in person, but they probably won't arrive until 2017. (It's still 2015 in this reality.)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:32 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:27 am While i agree that Slipstream's fate is kind of depressing,it makes him a much more intresting character(especially if he has any legacies,which you never said...).
The story of how he and the original Guard helped liberate Parousia has inspired a few young Parousians to try and refit a Haud starcraft to come to Earth and thank him/them in person, but they probably won't arrive until 2017. (It's still 2015 in this reality.)
And depending on how long he has left,they may be a Day late&A Dollar Short.....
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:38 am
Davies wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:32 am
And depending on how long he has left,they may be a Day late&A Dollar Short.....
In which case they might choose to stick around and help protect the world their idol loved so much. (Imagine if the Flash was a whole team of speedsters.)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:51 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:38 am
Davies wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:32 am The story of how he and the original Guard helped liberate Parousia has inspired a few young Parousians to try and refit a Haud starcraft to come to Earth and thank him/them in person, but they probably won't arrive until 2017. (It's still 2015 in this reality.)
In which case they might choose to stick around and help protect the world their idol loved so much. (Imagine if the Flash was a whole team of speedsters.)
That'd be neat....