World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Post by Davies »

From The Algernon Files:

The Wraith

From 1966 through to his apparent death during the Terminus Invasion, one of the most irrepressible members of the irregularly assembling group which originated the name 'the Sentinels' was Killjoy, enemy to criminals and especially to their dignity. Granted phenomenal agility and impressive strength and stamina by an allergic reaction to a cold medicine, New York's DA Stephen Pierce fought to ensure that the law was not hamstrung, fighting battles in the streets that he could not win in the courtroom. He finally fell in battle alongside his friends, his body atomized by the Serpent Queen, and was mourned by all.

So of course, he wasn't really dead, though it took more than a decade for his regenerative abilities to put his body back together, and longer for his mind to heal. Before that happened, he fled from Freedom City to another, darker and colder town. Eventually, however, he realized who and what he was, and resolved to keep using his abilities to fight for what he knew to be right, but in a more angry and violent manner than he ever had before. Gone was Killjoy, the Wraith had been born. He would be the dark avenger that this city needed, indeed deserved.

It didn't work out. Bedlam has been called the city where the Iron Age went to die, only to turn into a horrible undead monstrosity, so it may have seemed like a good idea for someone who'd just recently risen from the dead to end up there. But the fact was that the local 'superheroes' -- who were not all that super nor heroic -- were already more angry and violent than the Wraith could ever dream of being. Instead of being feared by both the innocent and the guilty, the handful of genuinely innocent people in Bedlam began to view the Wraith as an inspirational figure, showing them ways to stand up for themselves and each other.

Pierce found this bewildering, since he was used to having his heroic deeds ignored at best or being decried as a menace. But the way that the mob-run papers kept insulting and degrading him was much more familiar, and he thrived on that sort of attention. So he kept right on fighting, against thugs, cultists, madmen and eventually the real sources of evil in Bedlam. His proudest moment was when he exposed the so-called hero known as the Hammer of Justice as not only a police officer moonlighting as a vigilante, but an extraordinarily dirty cop who worked hand in hand with the Mafia.

It's a bit frustrating that the criminals keep coming, but the Wraith is completely confident that he can take whatever the world throws at him. That said, he was less than thrilled when he ended up dragged into the Yellowstone Battle, and generally tries to avoid other superheroes as much as possible ...

The Wraith -- PL 11

Abilities:
STR 6 | STA 6 | AGL 14 | DEX 14/6 | FGT 14 | INT 2 | AWE 2 | PRE 2

Powers:
Healing Factor: Immunity 2 (aging, disease); Regeneration 20 - 22 points
Mobility: Enhanced Dexterity 8, Limited to Grappling; Leaping 7 (900 feet); Speed 3 (16 MPH) - 18 points

Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Hide in Plain Sight, Evasion, Grappling Finesse, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Defense 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown Attack 2, Ultimate Effort (Stealth checks), Uncanny Dodge.

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+20), Athletics 8 (+14), Expertise: Civics 5 (+7), Expertise: Streetwise 5 (+7), Intimidation 8 (+10), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 6 (+8), Stealth 6 (+20).

Offense:
Initiative +14
Unarmed +14 (Close Damage 6)

Defense:
Dodge 14, Parry 14, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8/6, Will 8

Totals:
Abilities 104 + Powers 40 + Advantages 19 + Skills 24 + Defenses 8 = 195 points

Complications:
Justice--Motivation. Reputation (much less violent than other Bedlamite heroes). Temper.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Hey, Davies, thanks for that! I loved contributing to Bedlam back in the day (James Thomson Jr.'s Plain Brown Wrapper Games published my first full-fledged adventure module, btw), and its absurdly over-the-top Iron Age antics. I even created a batch of (mostly) do-gooders for the city, Blacktop, John Law, Kid Feral, Powder-Blue Princess, Shieldbreaker, and Touchstone, though all but the first and last were as damaged and troubled as one would expect of "Bedlam's Finest", and Touchstone ended up dying and passing on her legacy to her "black sheep" younger sister.

What was the Yellowstone Battle? Am I forgetting something from nearly a decade ago, or was it specific to your own campaign's timeline? And good to see the Hammer of Justice finally exposed, though if the line had continued I was going to write Shieldbreaker as the one to do it. He had a (very) personal vendetta against his uncle and former mentor, after all.

All my best.

PS: Is the Wraith a mash-up of Deadpool and one (or more) of the Ditko characters whom he somewhat resembles (in the late 1970s, there actually WAS a Ditko hero named Killjoy)? And that costume shouldn't work-but it does.
Davies

Post by Davies »

greycrusader wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:48 pm Hey, Davies, thanks for that! I loved contributing to Bedlam back in the day (James Thomson Jr.'s Plain Brown Wrapper Games published my first full-fledged adventure module, btw),
Moi aussi!
greycrusader wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:48 pm What was the Yellowstone Battle? Am I forgetting something from nearly a decade ago, or was it specific to your own campaign's timeline?
It's the latter.
October, 2016: Templar, having infiltrated the Children of the Night while posing as a zombie, discovers their ultimate intentions, and contacts every superhero he has ever even briefly associated with to beg them to intervene. A massive battle takes place in Yellowstone Park, involving the Freedom League, the Atom Family, Sentinels, Champions, and the Legendary Angels, as well as numerous unaffiliated heroes.
PS: Is the Wraith a mash-up of Deadpool and one (or more) of the Ditko characters whom he somewhat resembles (in the late 1970s, there actually WAS a Ditko hero named Killjoy)? And that costume shouldn't work-but it does.
That, with a bit of Speedball-as-Penance-mocked-by-Squirrel Girl thrown in -- TAF sets him up as this grim creature of the night, and I thought it would be funny to have him failing at that and becoming a beloved hero, much to his aggravation. ("What is wrong with you people?" he shouted at the cheering crowds.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:38 pm That, with a bit of Speedball-as-Penance-mocked-by-Squirrel Girl thrown in -- TAF sets him up as this grim creature of the night, and I thought it would be funny to have him failing at that and becoming a beloved hero, much to his aggravation. ("What is wrong with you people?" he shouted at the cheering crowds.
Eh, he can just take it out on Bedlam's local 'superheroes' besides the usual scumbags.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:43 pm Eh, he can just take it out on Bedlam's local 'superheroes' besides the usual scumbags.
Pretty much, although --
greycrusader wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:48 pm though if the line had continued I was going to write Shieldbreaker as the one to do it. He had a (very) personal vendetta against his uncle and former mentor, after all.
It's likely that, despite the way the Wraith's profile states that he brought the Hammer down --

I'm sorry. ;)

-- he didn't do it alone.
Harnos

Re: Firewing

Post by Harnos »

Davies wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 pm Firewing

On a world called Malva, located on the borders of the Lor Republic and the Stellar Khanate, among a humanoid people who called themselves the D'Nai, there was once a young man named Ariax Thone. His one ambition was to become one of the gladiators who kept Malva's decadent population entertained. Indeed, he wanted to be the greatest champion of the games that his world had ever seen. Eventually, after a few dishonorable acts that no one else ever knew about, Ariax realized his ambition. He had become the champion, and in the process had destroyed all possible competition for the title. He realized that decades might pass before there was anyone else who could give him a good fight, and that all he had to look forward to was twilight.

There was on Malva a legend that one day a man of valor would walk into flames and emerge as something more than mortal. It's possible that Ariax hoped to be that man of valor; it's also possible that, as he threw himself into a blast furnace, all that he sought was an ending to a burdensome life. If so, then once more he got more than he bargained for. He came out of the furnace as a creature of cosmic flame -- the Firewing.

The ruler of Malva, the Phazor, advised by the ancient wisdom stones, counselled the Firewing that he was in an ideal position to travel to distant Earth and challenge its legendary protectors. When he had overcome the mightiest of these champions, the other warriors of Malva would follow in his path to overcome those who remained. Then would Malva be the wonder and awe of the many worlds that had challenged Earth and fallen short of victory. Enchanted with this vision, particularly the part where he would once more do battle with foes worthy of his mettle, the Firewing set out for Earth. Even with his power to fly at speeds faster than light, the journey took years. But that was nothing to him.

Unfortunately, when he arrived in the Sol System in 1996, he leaned that Earth's defenders were even more potent than the legends claimed. Under Saturn's rings, the Firewing clashed with Protonik, who'd just begun his self-imposed exile from Earth. The fight was more brutal than anything either of them had ever known, but Protonik managed to emerge triumphant, and he silently indicated that Firewing should go back where he'd come from.

Thoroughly humiliated, Firewing journeyed back to Malva, intending to rest, recuperate and train for a rematch with Protonik. But when he arrived, he found a dead world. As the Stellar Khanate had begun its resurgence, it had attempted to bring Malva under its sway. After diplomatic efforts failed, the Star Khan decided that Malva's gladiators were too dangerous to be allowed to possibly ally with his enemies, and so ordered the planet to be scoured by orbital bombardment. And all this had happened, according to the data discs that Firewing found in the ruins of the capital, before he'd even reached Earth.

What now? He yearned to seek vengeance on those who'd killed his world, yet he knew that it would be an empty gesture; he would be overcome by the sheer number of troops standing between him and the Star Khan, and that the treacherous master of these armies would never face him in single combat. So instead, he turned his fury against Earth's heroes. If not for them, he would have been able to stand in defense of his homeworld -- if the Khan would even have dared to challenge a world with such a powerful protector -- and at least found honorable death with the rest of his kind.

With cunning born of experience, Firewing's second journey to Earth was not made on his power, but rather by "hitching" a ride with a Grue battle cruiser. In 2004, as Earth was defended against the Grue, a different threat slipped through the cordon around the planet, and descended to San Francisco Bay like an angry fallen star. From that point forward, he sought out and did battle with many of Earth's powerful figures -- heroic and villainous -- and left a path of ashes in his wake.

Soon after his arrival on Earth, Firewing realized that he would sometimes need assistance navigating the world's decidedly alien social systems. He found the help he needed in the person of a petty grifter named Jacob Lascke. From Lascke's point of view, it was an ideal arrangement where he had superpowered help for his various petty schemes. Firewing suspected (correctly) that Lascke was using him, but felt it would be beneath his dignity to annihilate such a pathetic specimen.

In 2007, Lascke heard rumors of some sort of underground fighting tournament, the Gathering, associated with the Circuits Maximus. Not only would this tournament's alleged prize make the winner (or rather, the winner's manager, since Firewing didn't care about material wealth) rich beyond the dreams of avarice, it would also afford Firewing the chance to face many of the mightiest fighters on Earth. Firewing found this notion intriguing, and instructed Lascke to find out more.

As a result, Firewing found himself as one of the ultimate contenders for the prize of the Gathering, having firmly demonstrated his might against such foes as Barbarak, the Galactic Tough Gal. And his opponent in the final match? A tiny wisp of a girl, in whose empty eyes he could see the same world-weariness he himself had once felt before the furnace. The reminder of his mortal days disturbed him quite a bit, enough to make him violate his own code against attacking from surprise, simply to put an end to the matter as quickly as possible.

Nevertheless, she persisted. And won.

Both Firewing and Lascke were taken into AEGIS custody in the wake of the Gathering, and though Firewing was able to escape fairly soon (abandoning his 'manager' to his fate in the process) he was not able to fly away from his bewilderment at this defeat. This was not a case of him fighting a being of comparable power, as with Protonik, and the turning of fortune simply not favoring him. He'd had a power advantage, and he'd even cheated, and still he had not gained the victory to which he was entitled. It made no sense.

Inevitably, he confronted Trouble a second time, demanding a rematch. She patiently demurred. He threatened the safety of the refugee camp where she was working, and he saw her eyes go cold and empty once again as she agreed to fight him after all. "And I'll win again," she said. "Because I won't be fighting alone, or just for myself." And just as she'd promised, allies from all sides rose up to stand with her, and together they overcame Firewing even more soundly than before.

This time he found himself in UNISON custody. It was even easier to escape, and this time he fled Earth entirely, for now nothing made sense to him. Was there truly strength to be found in such combination? How could there be, when any ally might become an enemy in exchange for a slightly greater share of glory? And yet, that hadn't happened. At least, it hadn't happened here. He found himself wondering if that had been what happened on the last day of Malva, if the defenses had been lowered by someone who sought advantage or the settling of some grudge.

Slowly, for fire is not the element of swift thought or deep, especially fire that burns without air to fuel it, Firewing is coming around to a more humane point of view. And as he does so, and as he hears of the stories of what goes on in the Stellar Imperium, he finds himself wondering whether, in combination with other champions, he might be able to overcome the murderer of his world. What might he do then? What might he not do?

Firewing -- PL 15

STR 8 | STA 8 | AGL 7 | DEX 8 | FGT 12 | INT 5 | AWE 5 | PRE 8
Powers: Cosmic Life Force (Immunity 10 [life support]; Impervious Toughness 8), Firey Aura (Array: Ranged Damage 15, Affects Insubstantial, Subtle, AP: Ranged Cloud Area Damage 10, AP: Perception Range Damage 8, Concentration Duration, AP: Perception Area Cumulative Affliction 10 [Resisted by Dodge; Visually Impaired, Visually Disabled, Visually Unaware], Limited to One Sense, AP: Perception Range Shapeable Area Damage 6, Concentration Duration), Force Field (Sustained Impervious Protection 10), Spaceflight (Flight 15; Movement 4 [environmental adaptation (microgravity), space travel 3])
Advantages: Agile Feint, Evasion, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Skill Mastery (Perception)
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+15), Athletics 8 (+16), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+16), Insight 6 (+11), Perception 8 (+13), Technology 6 (+11), Vehicles 6 (+14).
Offense: Initiative +15, Unarmed +16 (Close Damage 8), Firebolt +15 (Ranged Damage 15), Firey Cloud -- (Ranged Cloud Area Damage 10), Immolate -- (Perception Range Damage 8, Concentration), Firey Flare -- (Perception Area Affliction 10, Resisted by Dodge).
Defense: Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 18, Toughness 18/8, Will 10.
Totals: Abilities 122 + Powers 111 + Advantages 13 + Skills 23 + Defenses 20 = 288 points
Complications: Seeking A Purpose--Motivation. Honor. Temper.
Thread necromancy. I liked what you did with Firewing. His build seems suitable as well. Though i didn't know he had such high mental stats, checked the original now and it is surprising for such a character.
Davies

Re: Firewing

Post by Davies »

Harnos wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:16 pm
Thread necromancy. I liked what you did with Firewing. His build seems suitable as well. Though i didn't know he had such high mental stats, checked the original now and it is surprising for such a character.
Well, he is from an advanced (if stagnant) civilization, and Champions INT does double duty for both Intellect and Perception, and his inspiration would seem to suggest he'd be pretty good at the latter, at least. Likewise, his backstory suggests that he possesses a pretty strong will, if not necessarily enough to resist serious mind control.
Harnos

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Splotch! Card Seeker Wakaba! The Sentinels (updated)!

Post by Harnos »

Davies wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 pm Justicar

Before the Silver Storm, Cody Reese was employed in the ECPD forensics lab. An excellent crime scene analyst, he was shy, introverted and just a bit too impressed with his own intelligence. He was also becoming increasingly frustrated at the way that his analysis of crime scenes and discovery of airtight evidence kept being used to pressure criminals into accepting plea deals rather than for convictions, not to mention the way that he was accused of being naive when he complained about the subject.

The Silver Storm turned his body into that of a muscleman and gave him the ability to make people fear him with a thought. It also affected his brain, but not enough to make him run wild like other victims of the incident did. Instead, he began spending his nights as the Justicar, a gunslinging vigilante with a gothic motif, and pursued those criminals whom he believed had escaped their punishment. His activities soon attracted the attention of the Rook, who prevented him from killing any of his targets during his first few months of activities, though the Justicar always escaped capture.

In September of 2012, however, the Justicar was one of several stormers placed under the direct control of Tellax for an assault on the Sentinels and MarsTech. Horrified at having been forced to attack the innocent and fellow crimefighters (as he saw the Sentinels) he surrendered to the authorities as soon as the control was lifted, and went to jail. The Rook continued to take an interest in his case, and persuaded the police to place the Justicar in his own custody.

Forced in the most direct way possible to realize that even "good" people could do "bad" things, Cody Reese's black and white worldview was badly damaged. It received further shocks as the Rook revealed to him that at least one of the people he'd tried to murder because of the way they'd "gotten away with it" had had all that "airtight evidence" against them because they'd been framed, and rather effectively, by one of the numerous secret agencies and conspiracies active in Emerald City. "'No-nonsense' solutions like yours ignore the fact that the world is full of nonsense!" the Rook told him.

Despite that, the Rook was also unable to deny that the Justicar had been a very effective operator, and that he could become a genuinely useful ally in the Sentinels' activities. He took Cody under his wing, outfitted him with AEGIS-issued blasters (theoretically less lethal weapons than the Desert Eagles he'd been using up until this point) and gave him some personal training. Following the example of Vortex, the Justicar became a probationary member of the Sentinels early in 2014, and has remained with the team ever since. He also left the ECPD forensics lab and went to work for a private forensic firm.

The Justicar was tempted to quit after the dispute that led to the Rook leaving, as he agreed with his friend and mentor completely, but the Rook urged him to remain and continue to stand for what they both believed in. The entire sordid affair is bringing his old tendencies to the fore, though, and it's very possible that he's going to do something he regrets before too long. His relationship with Kim Kamada is providing a lot of stress relief, however.

Justicar -- PL 10

Abilities: STR 8 | STA 4 | AGL 3 | DEX 4 | FGT 9 | | INT 2 | AWE 4 | PRE 3
Powers: Aura of Fear (Selective Cone Area Affliction 9 [Resisted by Will; Impaired, Immobile, Incapacitated]).
Equipment: Bulletproof Vest (Protection 4), Urban Camoflage, Smartphone, Gas Mask, Handcuffs, Two Blaster Pistols (Ranged Damage 5), Multitool, Night Vision Goggles, Toolkit, Justi-car (Size: L, Strength: 5, Speed: 6 (ground), Defense: 8, Toughness: 8, Features: Alarm 3, Commlink, Toolkit).
Advantages: Close Attack 3, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll, Equipment 8, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown, Well-Informed.
Skills: Acrobatics 7 (+10), Athletics 2 (+10), Deception 3 (+6), Expertise: Criminology 6 (+8), Insight 2 (+6), Intimidation 7 (+10), Investigation 10 (+12), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 7 (+10), Ranged Combat: Guns 3 (+7), Stealth 5 (+8), Technology 6 (+8), Vehicles 2 (+6).
Offense: Initiative +7, Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 8), Blaster Pistol +12 (Ranged Damage 5), Aura of Fear -- (Cone Area Will 9).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 7, Toughness 10/8/4, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 70 + Powers 27 + Advantages 26 + Skills 33 + Defenses 13 = 169 points
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Reputation (dangerous ex-vigilante). Unreasonable.
He was tired of the ineffective system he was working in and Storm gave him a chance to fight back and change the things, I liked that. The 'Dark Avenger' archetype in 2e Instant Superheroes book was one of my favorites, I'm glad to see it with a nice background. His relationship with Xeno sounds sweet. I assume you gave him normal human toughness for a spesific reason?

I was considering writing up and statting Nightstalker from Paragons last night. He is a nice mix between Punisher and Spiderman. That is my inspiration to do it, as gods of the dice decided.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Splotch! Card Seeker Wakaba! The Sentinels (updated)!

Post by Davies »

Harnos wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:41 pm

He was tired of the ineffective system he was working in and Storm gave him a chance to fight back and change the things, I liked that. The 'Dark Avenger' archetype in 2e Instant Superheroes book was one of my favorites, I'm glad to see it with a nice background. His relationship with Xeno sounds sweet. I assume you gave him normal human toughness for a spesific reason?
Nope, those are the stats Cody was given in the adventure where he first appeared, Emerald City Knights 5: Rise of the Masterminds.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

The Commander's story was just damn sad man. I rooted for man to have a family or love interest at least. He didn't seem to do anything or search for anything outside heroism. The man probably thought his life was fucked up beyond hope by that point. Yet even in prison he didn't give up on his ideals. At least he got a warrior's death. I expected him to be pl 9 or so while I was reading the story, he got near Cap level stats. It fits though, considering he did it all day.

By the way, is Incredible Five a reference?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Harnos wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:48 pm
By the way, is Incredible Five a reference?
No, I think it was just what I chose for the group in his backstory when writing the original profile of the Commander, long before the Project Freedom campaign.