World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Arkrite

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Fyirwhrx! Nero! The Beacon! The Scarab and the Ankh! Project Freedom!

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:02 am The latter, though he's only about as big as a human instead of the size of a horse (like Tolkien's Huan) or a small car (like his other inspiration.) ;)
A giant, super intelligent, super powered war corgi?
Well, that's one way to get a super genius to fangirl uncharacteristically ;~)
Davies wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 am Pretty Princess Loli-chan!!
I regret never getting a chance to play in that game because it seemed like a very interesting crew of weirdos.

And boy did Fuzzy knock it out of the park for weird anime style characters ;~)

It seemed like an interesting take on a few anime tropes, the magical girl genre given a twist, and the odd obsession the Japanese seem to have with perverted subject matter.
I will admit I was wondering how Fuzzy would broach the subject matter because I could easily see it being an uncomfortable theme if handled poorly and depending on the other player's comfort levels with the subject matter.
I will say this: You are a braver man than I. :D

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:45 am
  • One of my favorite feats for Loli-chan was near the beginning of the game, where she ran to where Doc Otaku was and used Fascinate to keep him in place while she did her magical girl speech. Fascinate is one of those iffy Feats in that it doesn't have much effect in combat and generally doesn't do a great deal to set up your teammates, but it's a great way to hold off an enemy until everyone else arrives, and it really fit with the way Magical Girls always seem to get their speech in.
Huh... Thematic and useful. I need to steal that idea.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Fyirwhrx! Nero! The Beacon! The Scarab and the Ankh! Project Freedom!

Post by Davies »

Tomorrow: I watch Thor: Ragnarok and am hopefully in no shape to write anything for a while afterward.

Day after tomorrow: Possibly Horus the Avenger.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 am Pretty Princess Loli-chan!!
:shock:

...........Wow.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Horus the Avenger

As with all gods, Horus' origins are obscure ... and unlike some gods, Horus has made statements that suggest that the mythology surrounding him is definitely wrong in some respects, as he refers to Ra as his father rather than Osiris. However, he has not elaborated on the matter beyond that, perhaps because he's had better things to do than clarify the facts of an ancient religion. It is possible that his situation may have something to do with the battle of Gotterdammerung.

Certainly that episode relates to the reasons that he came to Earth in the twentieth century. After the battle, Seth the Destroyer was imprisoned in a deep cavern beneath the Italian peninsula, surrounded by fiendish spirits used as locks on his prison. (Around 1300 CE the Italian politician, poet and mystic Dante Alighieri discovered this cavern and traveled deep within, ultimately passing through the portal at the bottom which led beyond the world, interpreting what he saw there in terms of his own religious and historical beliefs.) Many of these locks were damaged by events in the first half of the twentieth century, eventually enabling the escape of Set in the year 1962.

When that happened, Horus the Avenger begged leave to travel to Earth and recapture Set, and was granted permission to fuse his eternal essence with the mortal form of an archaeologist named Henry Farrow, with the mortal acting as the summoner required by the terms of the Pact. United in this way, Horus and Farrow fought against Set and his cult throughout the so-called Silver Age, as well as many other threats mortal and divine. Horus was never a member of the Freedom League, but did associate with the more loosely knit team known as the Sentinels during this time.

It was with the help of his fellow Sentinels as well as the aid of Adrian Eldrich that Horus was finally able to succeed in his original mission and imprison Set, in 1982. This accomplished, it was time for Horus to bid farewell to the mortal world, ending his binding to Henry Farrow and returning to Heliopolis. For his part, Henry Farrow took advantage of his new found freedom to finally marry the young woman who'd been following him around since the early seventies, and they soon had a son, named Henry Farrow, Jr, but better known by his nickname Rocky.

Horus briefly returned and merged with Henry Farrow again during the Terminus Invasion, when Omega's troops accidentally freed Apophis the Serpent Queen. Using his full power against the ancient enemy of his people, Horus and the Serpent Queen were apparently both destroyed, though Henry Farrow was left alive and semi-amnesiac. Unbeknownst to anyone, the Serpent Queen had merged her consciousness with the mind of a young woman named Kitty McDougall, while Horus' weakened essence merged into the body of nine year-old Rocky Farrow.

Kitty McDougall finally awakened to a reasonable fraction of her full power in 2004, but Horus had also regained enough strength to actively merge with Rocky Farrow's now adult body. Once again, Horus was battling foes divine and mortal; once again, he declined membership in the Freedom League, though he often worked with its individual members. He also found himself frequently fighting alongside Protonik, for the Serpent Queen's machinations were not limited to just the Earth, and the two of them developed a genuine friendship, and even a sense of brotherhood.

In early 2013, while assisting Protonik and Daedelus in setting up the Starhaven colony, Horus received a message from his divine father, informing him that the Serpent Queen had passed out of the universe visible to his all-seeing eye. Bewildered by this, Horus soon learned that Apophis had stowed away on one of the refugee ships bringing aliens to Earth as it departed to pick up more, thus leaving the solar system and the realm which Ra could perceive. That should have been the end of Horus' time on Earth, as the Serpent Queen was no longer an immediate threat to Earth or the realms beyond.

And yet ... what was she scheming, out there in the infinite darkness of space? What if she came back with an army of alien warriors behind her? Was it truly maat to just assume that she was now someone else's problem? Then, too, Rocky had always been fascinated by the idea, revealed to him by his father, that the gods of ancient Egypt had somehow descended from the stars to Earth below. And alone among the gods, Horus possessed the power to travel through the depths of space, for his ankh had been gifted with that capacity by Ptah himself.

So he set out for the beyond, and has not been seen on Earth since then. Where his journeys have taken him, not even the eye of Ra can follow. Perhaps he fights in some alien gladiatorial ring as part of some plan to cause an uprising in the Stellar Imperium. Perhaps he has voyaged even further than that ... but be that as it may, he cannot know that now there is no Master Mage to know if Set's bonds loosen once more.

Horus the Avenger - PL 13

Abilities: STR 8 | STA 13 | AGL 2 | DEX 3 | FGT 7 | INT 1 | AWE 3 | PRE 3
Powers: Ankh of the Avenger (Features [Indestructible, Quick-change]; Flight 10; Immunity 10 [life support]; Movement 4 [dimensional travel 2, space travel 3]; Senses 7 [Vision Counters Concealment and Illusions]; Strength-based Damage 8; Array: Ranged Damage 14, AP: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 14 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware], Limited to Vision, AP: Environment 14 [daylight]; Removable), Might (Enhanced Strength 5, Limited to Lifting; Immunity 7 [aging, disease, heat damage]; Impervious Protection 5), Omnilingual (Comprehend Languages 4).
Advantages: All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Fearless, Improved Grab, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Combat 8, Ritualist, Weapon Break.
Skill: Close Combat: Ankh Strike 2 (+9), Expertise: Magic 7 (+8), Expertise: History 8 (+9), Expertise: Theology and Philosophy 11 (+12), Insight 12 (+15), Intimidation 8 (+11), Perception 8 (+11), Persuasion 8 (+11).
Offense: Initiative +2, Unarmed Strike +7 (Close Damage 8), Ankh Strike +9 (Close Damage 16), Ankh Blast +11 (Ranged Damage 14), Ankh Dazzle +11 (Ranged Affliction 1, Resisted by Dodge).
Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 7, Fortitude 16, Toughness 18, Will 10
Totals: Abilities 80 + Powers 108 + Advantages 16 + Skills 32 + Defenses 16 = 252 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Prefers to Work Alone.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Neat-o! We're all getting into the God builds lately! My thread, Ken's thread, this one- we're on a tangent :)!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yeah, pretty much. Next one follows that pattern, too, even though it's one I've been planning since Songbird ...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Hercules
AKA Heracles, AKA Ur-Kel, AKA Ercole, AKA Alcides of Thebes, AKA Al Keeds, AKA Lots of Other Names

For once, mythology gets it almost right -- he was the son of Zeus, Father of Gods and Men, and born around 1300 BCE. What the mythographers made up was everything they wrote about his mother -- rather than a princess of some royal court, she was El-Kem, one of the second generation of the Ultima. His birth marked the only time that the almost-gods of Ultima Thule and the gods of the worlds beyond collaborated on anything, and the problems of the project became apparent when the giant snakes showed up and tried to kill both mother and child. Unsuccessfully, of course, though they did give them a workout.

His many exploits in that heroic age are too many and too well known to be repeated here. He did things he remembers with pride, and things that fill him with shame even now, and some things that he is honestly not sure how he managed to do. (Thanatos is vastly more powerful than he is or ever could be, and yet he wrestled him for the sake of Alcestis.) In the end, poisoned by the blood of Nessus, he was taken away to Ultima Thule to have the full capabilities of his Ultima heritage awakened, just as he would later awaken them in Charlie Graham. The pyre to burn away his mortality was as best as the poets could come to understand what those who took him away told them.

The wonder of Ultima Thule wore thin for him fairly quickly, within a century or so, and he set out to explore the world, frequently in the company of his mother, who also had a restless spirit. It was then that he fought in the Gigantomachy and earned what passed for Hera's gratitude by saving her life in battle. He wed the goddess Hebe and lived among the Olympians for a time before this paradise, too, lost its luster, and the pathways of the world called him once more.

Time passed, and legends grew in the telling. Hercules found himself drawn to the theatre as it became less a religious festival and more a celebration of art. He will laughingly speak of times that he found himself playing himself, but he can also speak soberly of having known Euripides, Sophocles and Aeschylus, of having studied in the school of Sokrates. Yet he pursued many other paths, as well -- six centuries later, he claims to have been a ferryman who happened to meet a certain carpenter's son and carried him across the river, with tales of this event inspiring the Golden Legend of St. Christopher.

Yet for all his tales of his deeds, when it comes to Gotterdammerung he will fall silent and shake his head. So much of the world that he had always known passed away on that wicked day -- his father, the eternal, now gone forever -- and Hercules himself did not come out of it whole. Memories of that battle shape his perspective on gatherings of the mighty to this day.

The centuries since then have seemed to pass swiftly. He lost his mother to suicidal ennui in the French Revolution. He sought to exorcise the pain of this by working as a singer in La Scala. In the end, he returned to the land of his birth and sought to act as a quiet guardian spirit. But when a new age of heroes began in the twentieth century, he grew less cautious and revealed himself to the world. Unsurprisingly, few thought that he was the real Heracles, taking him as only a strongman with pretentions. Who knows what those who fought beside him in the resistance thought?

One who knew the truth, unfortunately, was Ubermensch, and the renegade Ultima decided to see just how powerful the elder was. The fight was brutal and terrible, and in the end Hercules found himself vanquished. Kal-Zed was satisfied to defeat and humiliate his foe, after extracting an oath by the Styx from him to never directly oppose him again. Frequently, Ur-Kel has wondered whether it would have been better to refuse to take that oath, and become a martyr for Greece.

He returned to Ultima Thule once the war was ended, unhappy with the outside world, but found himself a speaker for that faction of the Ultima who urged for greater involvement in that world. When the Centurion discovered their city, he was quick to befriend the man who had overcome Kal-Zed, and he sometimes boasts that the growth in power that the Centurion experienced was the result of his training. He took part in the trial of Superior, and watched with satisfaction as his enemy was banished to the Zero Zone in 1977.

It was a liberating experience, and he departed to see the world through new eyes once more. Since then, he has pursued a career as an actor and adventurer, openly claiming to be Hercules but with an elaborate, fake background as one of the mortals to keep people from digging too deeply. He has been declared Los Angeles' greatest hero on many occasions, and is quite proud of his star on the Walk of Fame. His brief romance with Robin Grayfaulk resulted in the birth of a daughter in 2010, and he pops in to see mother and child once a year or so, which is better than he has managed with some of his other children.

Hercules -- PL 13

Abilities: STR 15 | STA 15 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 11 | INT 2 | AWE 5 | PRE 5
Powers: Awkward Flight (Flight 4), Power Lifting (Enhanced Strength 6, Limited to Lifting), The Power Primeval (Array: Ranged Damage 12, AP: Continuous Insubstantial 3, Linked Enhanced Flight 3, AP: Morph 4), Ultiman Invulnerability (Immortality 5; Immunity 12 [aging, life support, sleep]; Regeneration 5), Telepathy (Mental Communication 2; Comprehend Languages 2).
Advantages: Attractive, Benefit (Alternate Identity, Wealth 2), Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Smash, Jack-of-all-Trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Takedown Attack.
Skills: Athletics 8 (+23), Deception 6 (+11), Expertise: History 8 (+10), Expertise: Performance 4 (+9), Expertise: Theology and Philosophy 6 (+8), Insight 4 (+9), Intimidation 8 (+13), Perception 8 (+13), Persuasion 6 (+11).
Offense: Initiative +12, Unarmed +11 (Close Damage 15), The Power Primeval +12 (Ranged Damage 12).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 11, Fortitude 16, Toughness 15, Will 10.
Totals: Abilities 122 + Powers 85 + Advantages 20 + Skills 29 + Defenses 11 = 267 points
Complications: Thrills--Motivation. Fame. Bound by Oaths. Temper.
Last edited by Davies on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Clever idea, combining the Ancient Astronaut and genuine myth origins into one being.

Also, given his reputation and genetic background, I really can't help but see him a PL or 2 higher.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:18 pm Also, given his reputation and genetic background, I really can't help but see him a PL or 2 higher.
Well, Hercules doesn't have Superior's megalomania or will to power driving his abilities up, and so he'll always be a PL or 2 behind him.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Your Hercules is a lot of fun with a couple of very serious incidents that hit home even harder due to his lighthearted nature.

Plus online dice rollers seemed to hate him like he was a player character so there was a nice connection with our characters ;}
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:53 am Your Hercules is a lot of fun with a couple of very serious incidents that hit home even harder due to his lighthearted nature.
Well, comedy and tragedy are both Greek words. :)
Shock wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:53 amPlus online dice rollers seemed to hate him like he was a player character so there was a nice connection with our characters ;}
Well, second verse, same as the first. :lol:
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I always just enjoyed how Ultima Thule came across as an unlikable group of stuck up holier than thou lot, but every actual member of their group we met was generally okay to deal with.
Probably because they had escaped Ultima Thule ;~)

I also laughed at the encounter between Zalman and Herc. The end result an enraged Herc decides to spend more time with Charlie because Zalman pissed him off so much calling him on how his people did things.

So if Robin ever needs him to spend more time with his daughter... ;~)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:50 am I also laughed at the encounter between Zalman and Herc. The end result an enraged Herc decides to spend more time with Charlie because Zalman pissed him off so much calling him on how his people did things.
Yeah, I should add that Temper complication to his sheet after all. :D
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 am
Arkrite wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:50 am I also laughed at the encounter between Zalman and Herc. The end result an enraged Herc decides to spend more time with Charlie because Zalman pissed him off so much calling him on how his people did things.
Yeah, I should add that Temper complication to his sheet after all. :D
Between his temper and Robin's that kid is going to be a nightmare
Davies

Post by Davies »

Up next, a trio of heroic Ultima.

Then -- at long last -- the Verecian versions of the Sentinels.