World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Freedom Legion Members!

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:50 am
Davies wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:39 am The Infinite Girl
Oh dear, sounds like she didn't just lose clones, but full parts of her personality.
<nod> And is currently throwing away other parts of same in the name of revenge. (From reactions, I think I may have created another monster.)
Arkrite wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:50 am I'm also wondering if there will be "The Shadow Wars" with Kantor rebuilt Shadow organization vs Xena's... rebuilt Shadow organization.
The sheer confusion from the outside would be funny.
"They came out of nowhere, destroying everything that got in their way... even themselves!"
Probably not, my intention is that Tan-Aktor and Heru-Ra and all the rest have finally met their eternal reward or punishment. There could be a rebuilt VIPER vs. rebuilt SHADOW war, though.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Freedom Legion Members! And Enemies!

Post by Davies »

This will probably be the end of the Freedom Legion builds for a while; tomorrow I plan to finally reveal what Ray Gardener Sr. is doing in his retirement.

Nightstalker

Long ago, the world called Uzaeloth was known by a different name -- the Netherworld. It was a place of dark magic and cruelty. But the last Dark Queen of the Netherworld worked her fingers , and then her arms, to the bone in order to turn her demesne away from that legacy. Though transforming it into a place where natural law prevailed was beyond her power, making it into a place of light and hope, though in the end that cost her everything. When at last she fell, she was succeeded by the first of the Master Mages of Uzaeloth, who have defended their home and carried the light to realms beyond.

Una, a child of Uzaeloth, showed promise in the mystic arts from a young age, and was trained as a defender in the Citadel. When she achieved enough proficiency as to be trusted with important tasks, she was assigned to monitor one of the Lanterns of Lameth, which scryed upon events elsewhere in the Crimson Coil which might have importance to Uzaeloth. She had only been at this post for a short time when she witnessed a ritual, conducted by the Arcane Grue on the Material Plane, which could have dire implications. Una promptly reported this to her superiors, who agreed that it was important -- and that they should pass the information on to the Master Mage of Earth-Prime, since it was their business and not that of Uzaeloth.

Una found herself unsatisfied with this, for reasons that she couldn't articulate, but was aware that no one from Uzaeloth could travel to Earth-Prime without the invitation of someone from that world. Her mentor, sensing her disquiet, chose that moment to reveal to her that Una's father had been a traveller from Earth-Prime, one Grigori Hunt, which meant that the door was actually open for her. Acting impulsively and yet decisively, she took the Cloak of Cloistra she'd won in a magical duel and descended to Earth-Prime, warning the members of the Freedom Legion and joining them in battle against the Arcane Grue.

She remained one of the constant members of the Freedom Legion after that, only rarely returning to Uzaeloth, where she was censured by the leaders of the Citadel and no longer made welcome. The quite elderly Master Mage of Earth-Prime, who wouldn't have been in any position to do anything about the Grue threat, offered her sanctuary and training. When he finally came to the end of his days, he urged Una to take up the role, telling her that it would not be the first time that someone from another dimension had served as the Master Mage.

Despite that assurance, Una was amazed when she did in fact become the Master Mage, and has served in the role ever since. She has recently begun considering the fact that she should probably begin searching for an apprentice who can follow her in the role, as she thinks it unlikely that she will live to the old age of her precursor. Hence her decision to share the Headmaster's position at Claremont Academy with the Centurion, where she is actively training young magicians, taking lessons from her own childhood and applying them here.

Uniquely among the members of the Legion, Una maintains a secret, private identity as Una Hunt, a consultant to Freedom City's Police Department on occult matters. She takes great pains to maintain a separation between the two identities, with her activities as Ms. Hunt not known even to her closest allies on the Legion. If anyone were to ask why she does this, she would explain that it is part of a magical working that she can't discuss. The truth of the matter is that she enjoys having a time where no one asks her to do the impossible, only explain it in terms that they can understand.

Nightstalker -- PL 15

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 3 | AGL 2 | DEX 3 | FGT 6 | INT 2 | AWE 8 | PRE 5
Powers: Aegis of Abbridon (Sustained Impervious Protection 15), Cloak of Cloistra (Flight 12; Immunity 10 [life support]; Removable), Hook of Heshem (Penetrating Damage 12), Magic (Array: Cumulative Mind-Reading 11, AP: Nullify Magic 16, Broad, AP: Move Object 16, AP: Ranged Damage 16, AP: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 16 [Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware], Limited to Vision, AP: Create 16, AP: Linked Insubstantial 4 and Concealment 6 [auditory, visual], AP: Comprehend 10 [All Languages, Writing, Animals, Plants, Spirits]), Longevity (Immunity 1 [aging]), Pulse of the Cosmos (Senses 22 [cosmic awareness hyper-extended 5, mystical awareness hyper-extended 5]).
Advantages: Benefit (Counsel of the Modrossus), Defensive Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Ritualist, Trance.
Skills: Close Combat: Hook of Heshem 8 (+14), Expertise: Magic 18 (+20), Insight 8 (+16), Intimidation 12 (+17), Perception 8 (+16), Ranged Combat: Magic 6 (+9), Sleight of Hand 5 (+8), Stealth 11 (+13).
Offense: Initiative +6, Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 1), Hook of Heshem +14 (Close Damage 12), Magic of the Modrossus +14 (Ranged Damage 16), Blinding Light of the Modrossus +14 (Ranged Fortitude 16).
Defense: Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 12, Toughness 18/3, Will 18.
Totals: Abilities 60 + Powers 144 + Advantages 13 + Skills 38 + Defenses 35 = 290 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Enemy (oh so many). Secret Identity.
Last edited by Davies on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voltron64

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Freedom Legion Members!

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:29 am Probably not, my intention is that Tan-Aktor and Heru-Ra and all the rest have finally met their eternal reward or punishment. There could be a rebuilt VIPER vs. rebuilt SHADOW war, though.
On the case of Heru-Ra though, much like his eternal enemy, his reincarnation cycle may have ended, but the name of the Scarab still lives on if you catch my gist.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Bolt III

When Captain Thunder was depowered in 2013, he took the development with equanimity, and focused more on the consequences for his son, Thunderbolt. He'd been considering retirement for quite some time, after all, and all that this meant was that it had to be now, rather than the eternal "one of these days" that he'd always envisioned. Once his son's condition was stabilized, Ray Gardner took a deep breath, took off his costume for the last time, and put himself at the disposal of the Freedom League's chief administrator, who happened to be his wife.

This situation lasted a whole week before Nancy politely asked him to stop hovering around her and go out to do something. Nonplussed, he decided to follow her advice and took the opportunity to investigate some of the details of his recently rediscovered past. In the previous versions of history where he'd been a Golden Age and later a Silver Age hero, he'd had friends and colleagues outside the superhuman community, and he wondered what had happened to these people in the world without him.

To do this, he needed the help of a detective, and the Raven already had enough on her plate. So Ray turned to the semi-retired costumed detective known as Caliburn, who'd been one of the Centurion's associates back in the 80s. Intrigued by the notion of investigating events resulting from a chronal re-alignment, Adam Sinclair was happy to volunteer his assistance. With his help, Ray was able to determine that most of his friends in those previous lives had led unremarkable but generally happy lives in the revised course of events.

But there was one big exception. In his Golden Age incarnation, Ray had served in the Army Air Corps as a bomber pilot, including a spell where he was shot down and held in a German POW camp, from which he led an escape. During that escape, one of his crew, Dave Richmond, discovered a magic ring that granted him a weaker set of powers much like Captain Thunder's. In the post-war years, Captain Thunder spent a great deal of time keeping his friend Dave out of allegedly funny hijinx that the magic ring got him into.

In the revised history, Dave Richmond had been part of the crew of a bomber piloted by one Maxwell Kole, and it was the latter who discovered the magic ring. Max Kole was not a particularly bad man, but he wasn't a very good one, either, and he used these powers under the alias Bolt, in a never-ending quest to make life easier for himself and Dave. The original Bolt had ultimately ended up shot by the police in 1954. Dave managed to get hold of the ring, but never used it himself, believing (correctly) that it was cursed. He'd died seven years later in a rooming house in Trenton.

For reasons that he didn't fully understand himself, Ray found that he needed to know what had happened to the ring after Dave died. Caliburn continued to investigate, with the help of his associate Grandmother Raven, and they learned that it had been part of a small bequest that Dave had left to a nephew after he passed on. The ring was now in the possession of that nephew's granddaughter. Nodding firmly, Ray contacted that individual and explained the nature of what she owned to her, without going into too much detail about how he'd learned all of this. She was happy to get rid of the ring, which she'd had no luck selling -- probably because of the curse.

Then, with Grandmother Raven's mystical assistance, Ray put on the ring and entered into psychic combat with the object's curse. The curse never knew what hit it, and found itself battered into submission. Thus, Ray was able to gain a less potent version of his former electrical powers, without the curses of a bad temper and unceasing misfortune that had accompanied them when the ring was worn by Max Kole. He was once again a superhero, and the world felt like a slightly more sane place.

Ray also found that he'd worked well with Caliburn and Grandmother Raven, and encouraged them to join him in forming a new team of unretired superheroes. After some consideration, they both agreed, and have helped to find other superheroes of their generation who want to get back in the business. After all, you might not be able to teach an old dog new tricks, but that doesn't mean that the old dog doesn't already know a few tricks worth knowing. As yet, this team has no official name or headquarters, though they've been termed 'the Old Guard' by the Next Gen, and are investigating the purchase of a New York brownstone formerly owned by Jason Danger.

Thunderbolt, as you can guess, is not terribly pleased that his father is once again risking his life instead of enjoying retirement ... much less that he's doing so under one of his former aliases!

Bolt III -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 4 | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 10 | INT 1 | AWE 2 | PRE 4
Powers: Magic Ring (Flight 6; Immunity 20 [electricity effects]; Array: Ranged Damage 6, AP: Ranged Burst Area Damage 4; Removable)
Advantages: Defensive Roll, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8.
Skills: Expertise: Military 8 (+9), Insight 6 (+8), Intimidation 8 (+12), Perception 6 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+8), Technology 4 (+5), Vehicles 10 (+12).
Offense: Initiative +2, Unarmed +10 (Close Damage 2), Lightning Bolt +10 (Ranged Damage 6), Lightning Burst -- (Ranged Burst Area Damage 4).
Defense: Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 6/4, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 56 + Powers 36 + Advantages 11 + Skills 23 + Defenses 18 = 144 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Fame. Not As Uncursed As He'd Like To Think.

Author's Note: Maxwell Kole, aka Bolt, first appeared in the M&M 1e supplement Noir. Everything about his eventual fate is something I made up.
Davies

Post by Davies »

In other news, I finally managed to luck my way through that damned Pride Demon fight, and the rest of Dragon Age II was easy by comparison.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Caliburn

Born in 1949, the child of a fairly well-to-do Welsh family who'd lost both his parents before his sixteenth birthday, Adam Sinclair went on to study archaeology at Oxford, while also developing his physical skills by practicing rugby and fencing. In the process, he met and became engaged to Jennifer Randall, a CID detective. While she chased criminals, most notably a latter day Jack the Ripper, his studies attempted to understand the historical anomalies of "Arthurian" Dark Ages Britain. (By the early 1970s, it was largely accepted that a OOPart-producing culture had existed in the British isles at that time, but most historians were reluctant to associate it with the legends of King Arthur, which had after all been written down much later.)

Adam's studies finally brought him face to face with an entity which appeared to match up with the accounts of the Lady of the Lake, who answered his flurry of questions with a question of her own: "Why do you seek heroism in the past, rather than embracing it in the present?" Something awakened in him in response to her words, and when he returned home, he created a costume for himself and set out to assist Jennifer in her investigations as the costumed crimefighter Caliburn. Together, the detective and the masked avenger were able to end the new Ripper killings, exposing them as the work of one Zachary King -- or rather, of the man who was impersonating the late Zachary King, who would eventually use the name Janus.

Tragically, Strangeways Prison proved incapable of holding Janus for more than a month. Following his escape, he murdered Jennifer and disfigured Adam's face before fleeing the country. Adam paused only long enough to make modfications to his costume to prevent further injuries of this nature before beginning his pursuit of Janus. That long chase, taking him around the world several times over, has lasted almost the rest of Caliburn's life thus far. He has often managed to prevent Janus' long term schemes, but been frustrated in his attempts to prevent Janus from causing terrible tragedies in the course of those schemes, and has never managed to apprehend him. Despite the temptation and the opportunity, Caliburn has never yet chosen to take the law into his own hands and permanently end Janus' threat. He believes that to do so would dishonor Jennifer's memory.

In 1977, Caliburn met and befriended the American heroine Lady Starbright, whose assistance proved critical in one of his very few major victories over Janus, where, just once, nobody died. He attempted to pay her back by coming to her assistance in 1982, when she came under attack by several of her foes at once, but he was no more able to save her than was the Centurion, also present on that occasion. In her memory, he agreed to join forces with the other heroes who'd come to Lady Starbright's assistance as the Guard. While the team was loosely organized and rarely met over the next decade, they did form tight bonds of friendship between the various members.

The Centurion's death during the Terminus Invasion, and the subsequent organization of the new Freedom League, prompted the dissolution of the Guard, as a number of its members joined the new group while others considered retirement. Caliburn did neither, continuing his long, lonely hunt for Janus, as well as fighting street crime in the New York area and maintaining a secret identity as an archaeology professor at Empire State University. By 1999, however, he was well aware that he was no longer in the excellent fighting shape he'd been a decade earlier, and so began to think about the possibility of resuming a normal life.

Janus apparently got wind of this somehow, and decided to give his archenemy a push. He exposed Adam Sinclair's secret identity to the world on live television. (It's considered very likely that Dr. Stratos' exposure of Captain Thunder a year later was inspired by this event.) Caliburn responded by abandoning his identity as Adam Sinclair, living as Caliburn full-time, never removing his mask, and insisting that he be referred to as Professor Caliburn by the staff and students at ESU. Fortunately, he had tenure.

Even so, he was considered semi-retired by 2013, more often acting as a consultant to other superheroes when they found themselves dealing with Janus' schemes than heading out to deal with them himself. However, his adventures with Ray Gardner and reconnection with Grandmother Raven made him realize that he missed the action and danger of being an active superhero, and he agreed to help form a new team for other members of the Old Guard. He truly believes that this time, with their help, he'll finally put Janus behind bars and keep him there.

Caliburn -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 5 | STA 5 | AGL 6 | DEX 5 | FGT 9 | INT 4 | AWE 4 | PRE 4
Powers: Mind Shield (Impervious Will 8), Sixth Sense (Senses 2 [detect truth (sense, auditory)], Trained Strength (Strength-based Damage 2)
Equipment: Utility Belt (see Gadget Guide, p. 112).
Advantages: Agile Feint, Assessment, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 10, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improvised Tools, Languages 3, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Skill Mastery (Investigation), Takedown, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed.
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+14), Athletics 10 (+15), Deception 8 (+12), Expertise: Archaeology 6 (+10), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 8 (+12), Investigation 14 (+18), Perception 12 (+16), Persuasion 8 (+14), Sleight of Hand 8 (+13), Stealth 10 (+16), Technology 6 (+10), Vehicles 6 (+11).
Offense: Initiative +10, Unarmed +9 (Close Damage 7) or by equipment.
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7/5, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 84 + Powers 12 + Advantages 33 + Skills 56 + Defenses 10 = 195 points
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Always Wears Mask. Enemy (Janus).'

Note: At his peak, in the 1980s, Caliburn had a Fighting score of 13, Ranged Attack 8, and Dodge 11.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:27 pmTogether, the detective and the masked avenger were able to end the new Ripper killings, exposing them as the work of one Zachary King -- or rather, of the man who was impersonating the late Zachary King, who would eventually use the name Janus.
Yikes. I remember that guy.

Davies wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:27 pm Caliburn responded by abandoning his identity as Adam Sinclair, living as Caliburn full-time, never removing his mask, and insisting that he be referred to as Professor Caliburn by the staff and students at ESU. Fortunately, he had tenure.
And you sir have just made my day.
That is both awesome and hilarious.
Thank you.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 pm
Davies wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:27 pmTogether, the detective and the masked avenger were able to end the new Ripper killings, exposing them as the work of one Zachary King -- or rather, of the man who was impersonating the late Zachary King, who would eventually use the name Janus.
Hands down, the best ersatz-Joker ever published, and the fact that he's so normal looking sells it.

Arkrite wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 pm And you sir have just made my day.
That is both awesome and hilarious.
Thank you.
You are welcome!
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:41 pm
Arkrite wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 pm
Hands down, the best ersatz-Joker ever published, and the fact that he's so normal looking sells it.
Out on the loop on that one, I'm afraid.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:55 pm
Janus, Caliburn, Lady Starbright and Grandmother Raven (formerly Mother Raven) are all from Silver Age Sentinels. I used Janus fairly effectively as a villain in a Project Freedom session.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:57 pm
Janus, Caliburn, Lady Starbright and Grandmother Raven (formerly Mother Raven) are all from Silver Age Sentinels. I used Janus fairly effectively as a villain in a Project Freedom session.
Alright, looking him up now and...damn.

What is he, related to the Ushers or something?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 pm
Alright, looking him up now and...damn.

What is he, related to the Ushers or something?
It Is A Mystery.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Davies wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:57 pm
Rather effectively I think.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Davies

Post by Davies »

:D

Anyway ... I tried playing Mass Effect, and wow, I only thought I was bad at Dragon Age, this is what I'm really bad at. It is a really good thing that I have never felt any inclination to be a gunslinger, because I can neither judge distance nor direction, apparently. On to Dragon Age Inquisition we go (where I will not be playing an archer) ...
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

My honest suggestion for DA:I is "ignore the side quests unless they seem story related".

Most of the side quests are fetch quests that waste your time and aren't worth the rewards they offer.
The big problem is that it wastes your time while burning you out on the game play and slowly kills any interest you had in the story.
Or at least that was my experience.

Honestly I enjoyed the story from the first Mass Effect more than the DA stuff, but I remember the Mako being a disaster, and I honestly don't remember the gameplay... at all. Which is not a good sign. ;~)