World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
RainOnTheSun

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Dr. Anastasia Joy, Agents of the LOLI

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Davies wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:55 pm Yuuki Yukimura

I know she's only the sidekick, but a nigh-unkillable anime wacky girl with superhuman strength in a (relatively) normal world is kind of a terrifying thought. Or a charming thought. I'm not sure which yet. Charming from a safe distance, maybe.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - el Lince, Dracula

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:15 am Honestly, most of what you'd see in either OWoD or NWoD is begging to borrowed for supers settings.

I mean, who wouldn't the First Murderer as a prominent supervillian in your campaign? ;)

EDIT: Because apparently DC did.
Hmmm!
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Dr. Anastasia Joy, Agents of the LOLI

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:02 am
I know she's only the sidekick, but a nigh-unkillable anime wacky girl with superhuman strength in a (relatively) normal world is kind of a terrifying thought. Or a charming thought. I'm not sure which yet. Charming from a safe distance, maybe.
Go for charming. It's the safer choice. :lol:
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Probably worth noting that White Wolf did have a superhero setting albeit one unconnected to their World of Darkness line.
Davies

Post by Davies »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:11 pm Probably worth noting that White Wolf did have a superhero setting albeit one unconnected to their World of Darkness line.
<nods> The which is a decided influence on me -- the dissolved man in one Project Freedom adventure was a nod towards one of the Teragen.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Black Fang

Up until 2007, James Talmadge lived a remarkably unremarkable life. He was a middling student at Freedom City University who practiced karate as a hobby, had a few good friends, and was proud of his family, particularly Judge Walter Talmadge, his father. He was one of the many millions of Freedonians who only ever caught a glimpse of the fantastic in the distance, and never imagined that it would ever touch their own lives.

And then it did. The Crime League decided that they needed a judge in their pocket, and Medea volunteered for the task of getting one. Selecting Judge Talmadge more or less at random, she used up an ancient Arcadian artifact known as the Stone of Lycaon to place the curse of the werewolf on the Judge's only son, waited until the night of the full moon, and then revealed what she had done to the horrified judge. Confronted with proof that his son went on bloody-handed rampages on the nights of the full moon, the judge was left with no choice but to agree to do the witch's bidding in exchange for a talisman that would prevent the changes on those nights.

Of course, the talisman needed to be replaced every month, and Medea was kind enough to inform James that it had its limits. The change to werewolf form could also be involuntarily triggered by James' anger or fear, or by a conscious act of will on his part. "After all," she said with a cruel smile, "you might come to enjoy it."

James strove to avoid that, doing his very best to keep a lid on his anger and his fear, and constantly worrying that Medea might decide not to deliver on the monthly talisman. In fact, her alteration of the deal was a bit more explosive than that, for she cast a spell to transform James into his wolf state entirely against his will during the Olympus Delendum affair to use him, and the pack of werewolf followers he soon created, as a distraction. Upon learning of this, Judge Talmadge finally reached his breaking point, and turned himself and his son in to the police rather than have the nightmare continue.

The judge was disbarred and removed from office, and sentenced to serve a several year prison term for shielding a killer. Ironically, James himself was treated comparatively lightly, given his diminished responsibility when the wolf took over. His jail time was suspended in exchange for his agreement to take part in Doctor Ulysses Steel's Project Er, a program designed to remove unwanted super powers, specifically those involving physical transformations. The prospect of being free of the wolf was the most wonderful notion that James had ever heard, and he eagerly signed up for it.

Sadly, James would prove to be one of Project Er's partial successes. Over the next three years, the scientists there, including Dr. NIcholas Lewis, the former Dr. Chiropterus, were able to develop a working understanding of how James transformed, in particular identifying the etheric radiation which caused his involuntary transformation during the nights of the full moon. But while they were able to discover a countermeasure for that lunar transformation, preventing the transformation caused by his anger and fear would have required them to basically tear out his adrenal glands.

Released from the Project, equipped with an early warning system that would allow him to realize when he was in danger of an anger- or fear-driven transformation so that he could escape from the situation causing it, James attempted to pick up the pieces of his life. He found a job in a second-hand bookstore that didn't require much in the way of contact with people, and settled into a dull routine.

Five years later, however, Count Dracula sought him out. He had learned of James' existence from Arcanix ("Who?" asked James, but did not get an answer.) and thought it simply an unbearable shame that such a talent as he possessed was going to waste. Before James could do anything, a lozenge was forced down his throat, and he found himself transforming into the werewolf, who immediately attacked Dracula and was vanquished rather handily. When the lozenge wore off and James reverted, he was informed that not only could Dracula induce the transformation easily ... he also had a way that it could be permanently cured. If James would agree to serve him as the wolf now would, such gifts could be his.

James hates his life. Black Fang, on the other hand, relishes his chance to be free of his pathetic other's domination, even if it means serving someone who has demonstrated that they are -- for the moment -- more powerful than Black Fang. Some night, however, the vampire's guard will be down, and things will be very different.

Black Fang -- PL 10

STR 6 | STA 6 | AGL 4 | DEX 2 | FGT 10 | INT 0 | AWE 2 | PRE 1
Powers: Packmaster Gifts (Active Heroic Summon 6 [Packmates], Multiple Minions 3, Sacrifice, AP: Auditory Perception Area Affliction 10 [Resisted by Will; Dazed and Impaired, Disabled and Stunned], Extra Condition, Limited Degree), Thick Skin (Protection 4; Impervious Toughness 10, Limited [Not versus magical or silver weapons]), Wolf Senses (Senses 5 [Danger Sense, Low-Light Vision, Acute and Tracking Olfactory, Ultra-Hearing]), Wolfish Speed (Leaping 3, Speed 5)
Advantages: Agile Feint, Close Attack 4, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack
Skills: Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 6 (+12), Intimidation 12 (+13), Perception 6 (+8)
Offense: Initiative +12, Unarmed +14 (Close Damage 6)
Defenses: Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 11, Toughness 10, Will 8
Abilities 62 + Powers 90 + Advantages 10 + Skills 15 + Defenses 17 = 194 points
Complications: Murderous Rage--Motivation. Power Loss (Cannot use Summon without a nearby bystander).

Packmates -- PL 6

STR 4 | STA 4 | AGL 3 | DEX 2 | FGT 6 | INT -1 | AWE 2 | PRE 0
Powers: Howl (Auditory Perception Area Affliction 4 [Resisted by Will; Dazed and Impaired, Disabled and Stunned], Extra Condition, Limited Degree), Thick Skin (Protection 2; Impervious Toughness 6, Limited [Not versus magical or silver weapons]), Wolf Senses (Senses 5 [Danger Sense, Low-Light Vision, Acute and Tracking Olfactory, Ultra-Hearing]), Wolfish Speed (Leaping 3, Speed 5).
Advantages: Agile Feint, Close Attack 2, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Teamwork.
Skills: Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 4 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+6), Perception 4 (+6)
Offense: Initiative +7, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 4)
Defenses: Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8, Will 4
Totals: Abilities 40 + Powers 26 + Advantages 7 + Skills 8 + Defenses 9 = 90 points
Complications: Murderous Rage--Motivation.

James Talmadge -- PL 1

STR 0 | STA 0 | AGL 1 | DEX 0 | FGT 0 | INT 0 | AWE 0 | PRE 0
Advantages: Close Attack 2.
Skills: Athletics 4 (+4), Perception 2 (+2)
Offense: Initiative +1, Unarmed +2 (Close Damage 0)
Defenses: Dodge 2, Parry 2, Fortitude 2, Toughness 0, Will 0
Totals: Abilities 2 + Advantages 2 + Skills 3 + Defenses 5 = 12 points
Complications: Abject Misery--Motivation. Accidental Change (when angry or frightened)
Last edited by Davies on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skaramine

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - The Patchwork Man, Black Fang

Post by Skaramine »

Yes! Another classic favorite! I love both iterations of Black Fang in Creatures of the Night (with Otunga too) and the FrED supernatural foes book. Your weaving of backgrounds into the write ups are succulent reading.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Thanks, I'm happy to be hitting the high notes. I may end up using Otunga, too -- he'd make a great White Lion enemy -- but I don't want to plan too far ahead.

Tomorrow: Dracula's more reliable muscle.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

He and Mongrel definitely need to get a little red in tooth and claw with each other.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:38 am He and Mongrel definitely need to get a little red in tooth and claw with each other.
Wrong side of the country for that, but if Dracula should happen to need something from the Cryptid Clans ...
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:41 am
Voltron64 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:38 am He and Mongrel definitely need to get a little red in tooth and claw with each other.
Wrong side of the country for that, but if Dracula should happen to need something from the Cryptid Clans ...
Oh certainly, I figured laws of storytelling being what they are...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Gotcha. I'll see what I can do.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ta-heru-ah

In the late nineteenth century, a certain Egyptologist discovered the tomb of what he believed to be a heretofore undocumented Egyptian queen, complete with mummy and certain grave goods, most notably a ruby ring with seven points that resembled stars. Smuggling these back to his native England, his obsession with the dead queen drove him to devise a plan to either summon the spirit of this ancient queen or possibly even resurrect her from the dead. The great experiment was both a horrific success and a terrible failure -- nearly all of those participating in the ritual died, but something was awakened.

The Egyptologist had been blinded by his own romantic view of the past, driven by obsession to impose a false narrative on hieroglyphics he did not understand so well as he imagined. The tomb he had discovered was not that of a great queen, or even a minor queen. It was the tomb of a servant who could be awakened by the one who bore the Jewel of Seven Stars and then protect them from the shadows for all time ... or at least, until the Jewel passed to another hand.

The Jewel was held by the sole survivor of the experiment, who also failed to understand what he possessed, and believed that the glimpses he sometimes caught of an Egyptian woman with seven fingers were glimpses of a monster haunting him. When he finally died, the ring passed to his heirs, and then to their heirs, down through the century. And ever did the mummy Ta-heru-ah lurk in the shadows, a deadly protector awaiting the command to action that would never come.

During Dracula's long period of awakening in the 1970s, he learned of the the ring and the mummy, and sought to gain it for his own. With his powers of persuasion, it was a simple task to convince the current holder of the ring that he could remove the curse upon it. Once he had it, of course, he removed "the curse" -- the fact that the mummy had to obey a mortal master -- through the very direct means of placing it on his own finger and ordering Ta-heru-ah to destroy her former master and his entire family. This the mummy did, exactly as commanded.

Having no immediate use for the mummy, Dracula ordered her to return to his castle. Once again, Ta-heru-ah was reduced to inactivity, which she endured in silence. But when he recently awakened yet again and embarked upon his newest plan, a role for her in that scheme immediately suggested itself. She acts as his bodyguard when he parades in public as wealthy entrepreneur Christopher Langella, and also guards the coffins in which he sleeps on his native soil. He also intends to use her as a weapon against the Patchwork Man if he can find no better way to compel the Promethean to his service.

The mummy's one weakness is that she has no method of recovering from damage taken in battle. However, Dracula is perfectly able to devise a ritual that can repair her undying form if he believes that he still has use for her.

Ta-heru-ah - PL 11

STR 9 | STA - | AGL 2 | DEX 3 | FGT 10 | INT 1 | AWE 2 | PRE 2
Power: Fists Like Stone (Strength-Based Damage 2), Mind Beyond Reason (Immunity 20 [mental effects]), Mortal Semblance (Morph 1 [living individual]), Soul Sight (Senses 3 [magical awareness, visual senses counter illusion]), Toughness of the Grave (Immunity 32 [critical hits, Fortitude saves]; Impervious Protection 12), Turn Into Dust (Flight 1, Linked; Insubstantial 2, Linked, Move Activation)
Advantages: Chokehold, Close Attack, Improved Grab, Improved Pin, Power Attack.
Skills: Athletics 6 (+12), Deception 6 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+8), Stealth 6 (+8).
Offense: Initiative +2, Unarmed +11 (Close Damage 11)
Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 10, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 12, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 48 + Powers 98 + Advantages 5 + Skills 12 + Defense 12 = 175 points
Complications: Loyalty to the Ringbearer--Motivation. Mute.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Well, talk about unofficial promotional timing. ;)
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Heheh Frank Langella

I see what you did there :P
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories