Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Sherlock Holmes, The Lone Ranger)

Post by Batgirl III »

I usually think of it as a passing of a specific heroic identity. The mantle of the Flash passing from Jay Garrick to Barry Allen to Wally West... John Reid doesn’t pass the Lone Ranger identity to Britt Reid, he makes his own identity entirely.

There’s also very little story emphasis on the connection, it’s more of an Easter Egg than anything else. I feel like a “Legacy Hero” should be important to the stories being told.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I'm disappointed that you built Holmes and not Watson as well. :P
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:20 am I usually think of it as a passing of a specific heroic identity. The mantle of the Flash passing from Jay Garrick to Barry Allen to Wally West... John Reid doesn’t pass the Lone Ranger identity to Britt Reid, he makes his own identity entirely.

There’s also very little story emphasis on the connection, it’s more of an Easter Egg than anything else. I feel like a “Legacy Hero” should be important to the stories being told.
It is extra funny seeing how this was played with in Planetary, with the Leather family tree. The 'grandfather' as the Lone Ranger analogue, his son the Spider (30's era Green Hornet/Shadow expy), and his "son" (actually the son of his wife and another man) who, denied his "heroic legacy" goes in search of his own route to power and ends up as the Human Torch analogue.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

DR. WATSON
Arthur Conan Doyle Character
Power Level 6 ( 90 PP )

A Study in Scarlet (1887) wrote:I had neither kith nor kin in England, and was therefore as free as air — or as free as an income of eleven shillings and sixpence a day will permit a man to be. Under such circumstances I naturally gravitated to London, that great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistibly drained.
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 2
Agility 0
Dexterity 1
Fighting 2
Intellect 3
Awareness 2
Presence 3

SKILLS
Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat [Archaic Weapons] 4 (+6), Expertise [Author] 3 (+6), Expertise [London Society] 3 (+6), Expertise [Medicine] 7 (+10), Expertise [Science] 5 (+8), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation 2 (+5), Investigation 8 (+10), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 3 (+6), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 8 (+9), Treatment 9 (+12)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Benefit [Fame (1)], Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Diehard, Equipment (1), Improved Aim, Luck (1), Teamwork

EQUIPMENT ( 5 EP )
British Army Mark III, Model of 1872 revolver Damage 3 (Extras: Ranged; Flaws: Unreliable [six uses]) [ 3 EP ]
AE: Stout Cane Damage 3 (Strength-based) [ 1 EP ]
Doctor's Bag [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (6) Base 6
Parry: (6) Base 4
Fortitude: (6) Base 4
Toughness: (2/4) ——
Will: (6) Base 4

WORKSHEET
Attack: 2 Effect: 2 Total: 4 (Unarmed)
Attack: 6 Effect: 5 Total: 11 (Stout Cane)
Attack: 9 Effect: 3 Total: 12 (Revolver)
Dodge: 6 Tough.: 2/4 Total: 8/10
Parry: 6 Tough.: 2/4 Total: 8/10
Fort.: 6 Will: 6 Total: 12

ABILITIES [ 30 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 31 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 11 pp ] +
POWERS [ 0 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 18 pp ] =
90 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
Dr. John H. Watson is Sherlock Holmes' best friend, assistant and flatmate. In a brilliant bit of literary invention, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the Sherlock Holmes stories with Watson as the first person narrator (in all but four of the stories), presenting them as Watson's own retellings of the cases that the duo investigated. This allowed for the freedom to retcon things, alter dates, change names, or play with the sequences of events with a literary handwave that Watson, himself, was altering the story of the events to protect the reputations of innocent parties or obscure some details for other honorable reasons.

Dr. Watson is described (or describes himself) as a proper Victorian-era gentleman, unlike the more eccentric Holmes. Watson is astute and intelligent, although he fails to match his friend's deductive skills. Having studied at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London and receiving his medical degree from the University of London in 1878, Watson subsequently trained as an assistant surgeon in the British Army. He joined British forces in India with the 5th Northumberland Fusiliers before being attached to the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot, saw service in the Second Anglo-Afghan War, was wounded at the Battle of Maiwand, suffered enteric fever, and was sent back to England. With his health ruined, he was then given modest pension, and sought an affordable place to live in London. That was when a friend introduced him to the remarkable Sherlock Holmes... The rest is history.

Although gunplay doesn't crop up much in Arthur Conan Doyle's work, careful readers will note that even though Holmes' skill as a marksman are mentioned it is Watson, not Holmes, who was the better shot with a handgun. Holmes needed five shots to finish off the Hound of the Baskervilles, but Watson apparently needed only one to blow out the brains of the unpleasant mastiff Carlos. The recent Sherlock series from the BBC gives Watson the memorable line "I'm an army doctor, which means I could break every bone in your body while naming them." The good doctor is a badass, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Last edited by Batgirl III on Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:12 pm I'm disappointed that you built Holmes and not Watson as well. :P
Oops. I totally meant to post him after Sherlock... Please, call off the heckhounds.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

*grumbles while putting heckhounds back in kennel*
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

THE SPIDER
Popular Publications Character
Power Level 8 ( 170 PP )

ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 3
Agility 5
Dexterity 3
Fighting 8
Intellect 3
Awareness 3
Presence 3

SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+8), Athletics 6 (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+12), Expertise [Musician] 4 (+7), Deception 13 (+16), Insight 9 (+12), Investigation 5 (+8), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+8), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 7 (+10), Technology 3 (+6), Sleight of Hand 5 (+10), Stealth 5 (+10)

ADVANTAGES
Benefit [Alternate ID (3), Wealth (4)], Contacts, Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (3), Equipment (5), Evasion (1), Grappling Finesse, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Languages [English, Hindustani], Redirect, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown (1), Well-Informed

POWERS
Master of Disguise Feature 1 (Mimicry); Morph 1 (Flaws: Removable [requires appropriate props and costuming, -1]) [ 5 PP ]
Master of Men Affliction 5 (Resist/Recover: Will; Condition: Dazed, Compelled; Extras: Area [Auditory Perception], Concentration, Cumulative, Selective, Subtle [1]; Flaws: Limited to Two Degrees; Sense-Dependent [+0/rank]) [ 21 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 25 EP )
Paired Browning Hi-Power P-35 Pistols Damage 6 (Extras: Ranged, Split [1]) [ 13 EP ]
"Web" Super-Strong Silk Thread Affliction 8 (Resist: Dodge; Recover: Strength; Conditions: hindered and vulnerable, defenseless and immobilized; Extras: Extra Condition; Flaws: Limited to Two Degrees) [ 8 EP ]
The Spider's Seal Feature 1 (May be used to mark foes with the Spider's calling card on the foreheads of the criminals he kills.) [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 5
Parry: (10) Base 2
Fortitude: (8) Base 5
Toughness: (3/6) ——
Will: (8) Base 5

WORKSHEET
Attack: 12 Effect: 2 Total: 14 (Unarmed)
Attack: 10 Effect: 6 Total: 16 (Pistols)
Attack: 8 Effect: 8 Total: 16 (Web)
Attack: —— Effect: 5 Total: 5 (Master of Men)
Dodge: 10 Tough.: 3/6 Total: 13/16
Parry: 10 Tough.: 3/6 Total: 13/16
Fort.: 8 Will: 8 Total: 16

ABILITIES [ 60 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 37 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 30 pp ] +
POWERS [ 26 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 17 pp ] =
170 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
The Spider was a pulp magazine hero of the 1930s and 1940s, who's adventures were published from 1933 to 1943. The Spider was created in by Popular Publications as direct competition to their rival Street and Smith Publications' hero the Shadow, but never quite as popular. He still developed quite a following with pulp stories, dime novels, a film serial, and a fan club for the kids! Because it was the 1940's and tales of a dangerous vigilante who coldly murdered his opponents was fun for the whole family!

The Spider was millionaire playboy Richard Wentworth, who had served as a major in World War I, and was living in New York City the last living heir of a wealthy family. The Spider used numerous aliases and disguise to move amongst the criminal underworld to gather information, before donning his costume as the Spider to dispensed his brand of violent justice. The Spider's early costume consisted of a simple black domino mask, black hat, and cape. Later in the series, to make him more distinct from the Shadow, vampire-like makeup was added, which was replaced with a face mask featuring grizzled hair and finally a hunchback. The film serials altered his costume significantly, gaving him a mask and cape printed with a web-like pattern that makes him look like a
luchador cosplaying as Spider-Man...

The Spider stories often involved a bizarre menace to the country and a criminal conspiracy, and were often extremely violent (even by the standards of the pulps and certainly compared to anything we'd see under the Comics Code Authority that dominated Silver Age). The Spider's villains frequently engaged in wanton slaughter of thousands as part of their nationwide crime sprees. The master criminal of the stories was usually unmasked only in the last chapter or two. The stories often ended with the Spider killing the villains and stamping their corpses' foreheads with his calling card.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Batgirl- thank you! I've pulled out my old Jeff Rovin Encyclopedias to look up more on your recent builds. Old, old loves back when I was just a tiny scattering of light.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Little miffed you made Watson PL 6, not gonna lie. My personal favorite Holmes character(Sherlock was just too cold), Watson shoulda been at least one under Sherlock, owing to his time in the British army.
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:12 pm Little miffed you made Watson PL 6, not gonna lie. My personal favorite Holmes character(Sherlock was just too cold), Watson shoulda been at least one under Sherlock, owing to his time in the British army.
Before he was invalided home, he probably would have been, but ...

My personal favorite Watson moment in any medium:
Sherlock Homes vs Dracula by Loren Estleman wrote: “I can understand Professor Van Helsing’s motives in wishing to destroy me. Nor is there mystery in Jonathan Harker’s and Arthur Holmwood’s decisions to accompany him in this task, for both have known tragedy at my hands. To Sherlock Holmes I am a challenge, and I have learnt from studying your accounts of his adventures that he cannot survive without such challenges. It is you, Doctor, whom I cannot comprehend. I am at a loss to explain your purpose in pursuing this dangerous path. I speak not of your wife’s abduction, although why you would jeopardise her safety by remaining upon my trail is a problem in itself. From the beginning you have shown an ungovernable enthusiasm for this chase. Why? What spell has Sherlock Holmes placed upon you that has made you his accomplice in this mad scheme? I have risked everything by coming here, and yet I must have an answer before I return to my homeland.”

The reader may think me mad, but in that moment I actually pitied Count Dracula. He was beaten, his destruction was close at hand, and all he wished now was to know why. I answered him without pausing.

“Sherlock Holmes is my friend.”

He stood there, blinking, for several seconds after I had spoken. “That is your answer?”

“It is the only one I have. Moreover, it is the correct one.”
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'm a big fan of the Spider, owing to a lot of reprints and audio-books I've purchased from Radioarchives.com, which has over 100 classic pulp stories lovingly crafted into entertaining audio-books. Richard Wentworth had a lot of fun adventures, including stories where he did things like face an army of thugs wearing 12 foot tall suits of Pulp Era Mini-Mechs (under the leadership of a guy literally called the Iron Man), a guy in personal power armor with a death ray installed in his helmet, an army of neanderthals with superhuman strength running rampant across the country, and still more. He really was a Batman-style vigilante years before Bruce donned his mask, fighting normal criminals and supercriminals in equal measure.

The Spider was also fun in that they gave him a love interest (unlike many Pulp heroes) who was no wilting flower. Nita, awesome, lovely Nita, was a capable fighter, almost as clever as Wentworth himself, and commanded the undying loyalty of Wentworth's servants. Heck, the only reason Wentworth isn't caught on many occasions is due to Nita's ingenuity and bravery.

Add in the sheer volume of awesome that was Ram Singh and the not quite as awesome but equally loyal Jackson, and you've got a fun cast to throw into all kinds of adventures.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:12 pm Little miffed you made Watson PL 6, not gonna lie. My personal favorite Holmes character(Sherlock was just too cold), Watson shoulda been at least one under Sherlock, owing to his time in the British army.
Holmes and Watson are both PL 6; Holmes has more PP, 120 versus 90, but that's almost entirely spent on boosting his investigatory skills to rather ridiculously high levels and giving Holmes his borderline Marty Sue-ish physical prowesss (I mean, really, unbending a bent iron firepoker!?). But that's how Watson wrote him. Both men have the same Dodge, Parry, and Will Defenses; as well as identical Toughness.

Also, bear in mind that they live in a basically mundane Victorian England. There are no jet-powered apes or time-travelling robotic dinosaurs, the most dangerous opponents they face are a larger-than-average mastiff-bloodhound mutt and Col. Moran, a cold-blooded crackshot with a silent air-rifle. Both are formidable, but not exactly fantastic.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

And that's all the reason Watson ever needed. Every single Movie, Serial and Television show has us see the true Depth of the Holmes/Watson friendship(save the Elementary series, which put an unnecessary Romantic spin on it). To Holmes(and his brother Mycroft's) was of thinking, John was family in everything but blood. Both men were willing to throw themselves into the Mouth of Perdition itself if it meant helping the other. Villians like Dracula and Moriarty could never understand that type of connection, and it always threw them off somehow. The closest one to come to understanding it was Iren "The Woman" Adler(who should be next build, btw) who was genuinely touched by it.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The Elementary series was, in and of itself, wholly unnecessary. I hated the Guy Ritchie movies too.

I enjoyed the Gatiss-Moffat Sherlock quite a lot, as it was a largely faithful retelling of the classic stories. It was a modern day setting, some abridgments and condensing took place, but it mostly stuck to a fairly accurate reframing of the canon... at least until the who Eurus nonsense. I'm still hopeful they make a fifth series because I really don't want to see the show end on that note.

Totally non-canonical, but the Netflix film Enola Holmes is a heck of a lot of fun. One of my daughters has read the Young Adult novels that it was based on and says it's an excellent adaptation of those novels. Coming at it from the standpoint of a lifelong Holmes fanboy, I thought it was a great entry-level, young adult gateway to Sherlock Holmes. Millie Bobby Brown is just damn fun to watch and Henry Cavill makes a surprisingly good Sherlock.
Batgirl III

The Woman

Post by Batgirl III »

IRENE ADLER
Arthur Conan Doyle Character
Power Level 6 ( 65 PP )

A Scandal in Bohemia (1892) wrote:To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a lover he would have placed himself in a false position. He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer. They were admirable things for the observer — excellent for drawing the veil from men's motives and actions. But for the trained reasoner to admit such intrusions into his own delicate and finely adjusted temperament was to introduce a distracting factor which might throw a doubt upon all his mental results. Grit in a sensitive instrument, or a crack in one of his own high-power lenses, would not be more disturbing than a strong emotion in a nature such as his. And yet there was but one woman to him, and that woman was the late Irene Adler, of dubious and questionable memory.
ABILITIES
Strength 0
Stamina 0
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 0
Intellect 3
Awareness 3
Presence 5

SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+5), Deception 11 (+16), Expertise [Opera] 5 (+10; Presence-based), Expertise [Society] 5 (+8), Insight 5 (+8), Perception 2 (+5), Persuasion 9 (+12)

ADVANTAGES
Attractive (1), Benefit [Cipher (1)], Contacts, Connected

DEFENSE
Dodge (2) Base 0
Parry: (2) Base 2
Fortitude: (4) Base 4
Toughness: (2) ——
Will: (8) Base 5

WORKSHEET
Attack: 0 Effect: 0 Total: 0 (Unarmed)
Dodge: 2 Tough.: 4 Total: 6
Parry: 2 Tough.: 4 Total: 6
Fort.: 4 Will: 8 Total: 12

ABILITIES [ 30 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 20 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 4 pp ] +
POWERS [ 0 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 11 pp ] =
65 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
PREJUDICE (The Weaker Sex): It's the late 19th Century...
REPUTATION (Scandalous Past): The King describes her as "a well-known adventuress," a widely used euphamism of the era for "courtesan" (itself a euphamism for "prostitute.") In tightlaced Victorian society, her reputation would be ruined if this came to light.

BUILD NOTES
Irene Adler is one of the most notable characters in the Sherlock Holmes canon, despite appearing in only one story. In derivative works, she is frequently misused as a romantic foil for Holmes, a departure from Doyle's novels, in which he harbors a platonic admiration for her wit and cunning (and a trope I absolutely loathe).

Adler was born in America in 1858. She had a career in opera, as prima donna in the Imperial Opera of Warsaw, Poland, indicating great talent as a singer. It was there that she became the lover of Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, Grand Duke of Cassel-Felstein and Crown Prince of Bohemia (by the "present day" of the story he's become the King). She also claims to have been trained as an actress and "often" disguised herself as a man to "take advantage of the freedom which it gives". The King eventually returned to his court in Prague, while Adler, then in her late twenties, retired from the opera stage and moved to London.

In 1888, the 30-year-old King intends to marry Clotilde Lothman von Saxe-Meiningen, second daughter of the King of Scandinavia; the marriage would be threatened if his prior relationship with Adler were to come to light.

King makes an incognito visit to Holmes in London. He asks the famous detective to secure possession of a previously taken photograph depicting Adler and the King together. The King hired burglars to attempt to retrieve it twice, had Adler herself waylaid, and her luggage stolen, to no avail. The King explains the situation to Holmes, telling him that Adler had promised to send a photograph proving their relationship to his fiance's family if he announced his betrothal. A disguised Holmes traces Adler's movements, learning of her private life and, notably, stands witness to her marriage to Godfrey Norton, an English lawyer. Holmes describes her as "a lovely woman, with a face a man might die for". Holmes disguises himself as an elderly cleric and sets up a faked incident to cause a diversion that is designed to gain him access to Adler's home and to trick her into revealing where the picture is hidden. Adler treats him kindly as the supposed victim of a crime outside her home. At the moment she gives away the location of the photograph, she realises she has been tricked. She tests her theory that it is indeed Holmes, of whom she had been warned, by disguising herself as a young man and wishing him good night as he and Watson return to 221B Baker Street.

Holmes visits Adler's home the next morning with Watson and the King to demand the return of the photograph. He finds Adler gone, along with her new husband and the original photo, which has been replaced with a photograph of her alone as well as a letter to Holmes. The letter explains how she had outwitted him, but also that she is happy with her new husband, who has more honourable feelings than her former lover. Adler adds that she will not compromise the King and has kept the photo only to protect herself against any further action the King might take. Holmes decides that Adler was the wronged party rather than the King and asks, when offered a reward by the King, only for the photograph that Adler had left.

Adler earns Holmes's unbounded admiration. In the later story, "The Five Orange Pips," Holmes states that he has "been beaten four times – three times by men and once by a woman." The woman is implied, of course, to be the woman. At the end of "A Scandal in Bohemia," when the King says, "Would she not have made an admirable queen? Is it not a pity she was not on my level?" Holmes drily replies that Adler is indeed on a much different level from the King.