Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Buffy, Faith)

Post by Batgirl III »

Although I swooned as much as the next fangirl when Giles performed Behind Blue Eyes, this is the only time we see him perform that isn’t the result of Sweet manipulating the entire cast into a musical performance... So I figure that his Presence 4 should be good enough for him to be a competent amateur guitarist and vocalist.

Tony Head, of course, is a “triple threat” who can sing, dance, and act with a long career in musical theatre. But there’s not a lot of indication in the series that Giles is anything beyond a naturally talented amateur. (In “Band Candy” he hints that he might have been part of a punk band in his teens, but let’s face it, most teen punk bands aren’t too skilled.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
slade the sniper

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread

Post by slade the sniper »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:37 am That Kevin Long... dude couldn't draw people (or Dog Boys) to save his life, but Killer Robots? Hell yeah.
Kinda late, and probably not the right place...but what ever happened to Kevin Long? His artwork is what sold me on Rifts (well, that and the Altarian BWW...oh, and that Druid in the original book... [she doesn't have stats anywhere, right]) but I digress. Long's artwork was basically the visual representation of Palladium for a long time, then he just disappeared. I appreciate a lot of the newer art, but it just doesn't feel the same.

-STS
Davies

Post by Davies »

After he left Palladium in 1995, he went on to a career in computer graphics. He worked on Wolfenstein in 2008-9. I haven't been able to find anything more recent, but it's possible that he's moved on to a management position at Raven Software. That is just a guess on my part, though.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

According to IMDB, Wikipedia, and LinkdIn, he’s still working for Raven... But I don’t know in what exact capacity.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I'd put him in charge of the Art department, as they're currently got some VERY nice art for their games this year...
Batgirl III

Huh.

Post by Batgirl III »

Arthelius Collector Card

OZ
Circa BtVS Season Five
Power Level 5 ( 75 PP )

Faith, Hope and Trick (S.3 E.3) wrote:Willow: Oz is a werewolf.

Buffy: It's a long story.

Oz: I got bit.

Buffy: Apparently not that long.
ABILITIES
Strength 1(4)
Stamina 1(4)
Agility 1(4)
Dexterity 1(4)
Fighting 3
Intellect 3
Awareness 1
Presence 2

ADVANTAGES
Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (2), Improvised Weapon (1), Jack-of-All-Trades, Luck (1), Second Chance [Will Defense versus Fear], Seize Initiative, Teamwork, Well-Informed

SKILLS
Athletics 1 (+2/5), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+5), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise [Musician; Presence-based] 5 (+7), Insight 7 (+8), Perception 7 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+5), Technology 2 (+5)

POWERS
Senses 2 (Olfactory: Ranged [1], Acute [1]) [ 2 PP ]

Werewolf Alternate Form (F: Activation [Standard, -2], Uncontrolled) [ 13 PP Total ]
Tooth & Claw Damage 1 (Strength-based) [ 1 PP ]
Enhanced Ability 12 (+3 STR, +3 STA, +3 AGI, +3 DEX) [ 24 PP ]
Regeneration 5 (-1 every other Round) [ 5 PP ]

EQUIPMENT
Wooden Stake Damage 1 (Strength-based; E: Feature - Counts as Improvised Weapon) [ 2 EP ]
Guitar, Amps, Killer Sound System, and Other Music Stuff [ 1 EP ]

Oz's Van (7 EP)
Size: Huge [ 2 EP ]
Strength: 8 [ 0 EP ]
Speed: 5 [ 5 EP ]
Defense: 6 [ 0 EP ]
Toughness: 9 [ 0 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge: (1/4) Base 0
Parry: (4) Base 1
Fortitude: (1/4) Base 0
Toughness: (1/3/4/6) Base -
Will: (6) Base 5

WORKSHEET
Attack 5 Effect 1 Total: 6 (Unarmed)
Attack 5 Effect 3 Total: 8 (Wooden Stake)
Attack 5 Effect 5 Total: 10 (Werewolf Tooth & Claw)
Dodge 1/4 Tough. 3/6 Total: 4/10
Parry 4 Tough. 3/6 Total: 7/10
Fort. 1/4 Will 6 Total: 7/10

COMPLICATIONS
MOTIVATION (Inner Beast): Oz is afflicted with the curse of the lycanthropy. By Season Five, Oz has learned to retain some control over his inner beast, being able to control when his transformation happens, but lycanthropy is still a curse, not a boon. Oz can usually stop himself from transforming, unless under great emotional strain, such as intense anger or when around Willow. Worse still, when Oz is in his werewolf form, he has absolutely no control over his actions.

VULNERABILITY (Lycanthrope Tropes): Oz's werewolf form vulnerable to magic and silver. His Regeneration will not heal damage caused by magical attacks or silvered weapons.

ABILITIES [ 26 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 15 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 13 pp ] +
POWERS [ 15 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 6 pp ] =
75 PP TOTAL

BACKGROUND
Alias: Oz
Base of Operations: Mobile
Date of Birth: 1979
Height: Short
Weight: Skinny
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Variable
Notable Relatives: Unknown
Identity: Secret

Oz is famously taciturn.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ah, the character that started Seth Green's meteoric Rise to kinda-known Hollywood actor(and the only actor aside Charisma Carpenter who didn't get jerked over by Joss Whedon)...
Last edited by MacynSnow on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:19 pm Ah, the character that started Seth Green's meteoric Rise to kinda-known Hollywood actor(and the only actor aside Charisma Carpenter who didn't get jewed over by Joss Whedon)...
I’m normally not one to complain about “political correctness” or harsh language. But... Could we not use Jew as a derogatory verb?

Especially one meant to invoke the money-grubbing, conspiratorial, predatory image of Judaism that was popular with the Nationalsozialistisches.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:27 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:19 pm Ah, the character that started Seth Green's meteoric Rise to kinda-known Hollywood actor(and the only actor aside Charisma Carpenter who didn't get jewed over by Joss Whedon)...
I’m normally not one to complain about “political correctness” or harsh language. But... Could we not use Jew as a derogatory verb?

Especially one meant to invoke the money-grubbing, conspiratorial, predatory image of Judaism that was popular with the Nationalsozialistisches.
Sure, i'll change it over to "Jerked". Did not mean to offend... And done! :)
Batgirl III

What is your childhood trauma?

Post by Batgirl III »

Boom! Studios

CORDELIA
Circa Angel Season Two
Power Level 5 ( 75 PP )

When She Was Bad (BtVS S.2 E.1) wrote:Cordelia: Whatever is causing the Joan Collins `tude, deal with it. Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever, but get over it.
Rm w/a Vu (Angel S.1 E.5) wrote:Cordelia: I'm not a sniveling whiny little Cry-Buffy. I'm the nastiest girl in Sunnydale history. I take crap from no one!
ABILITIES
Strength 1
Stamina 2
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 2
Intellect 2
Awareness 3
Presence 3

ADVANTAGES
Attractive (1), Beginner's Luck, Contacts, Defensive Roll (2), Improved Defense, Improvised Weapon (1), Jack-of-All-Trades, Leadership, Luck (1), Taunt, Teamwork

SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+5); Athletics 3 (+5); Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+4); Deception 3 (+6/10); Diplomacy 3 (+6); Expertise [Fashion] 3 (+5); Expertise [Pop Culture] 1 (+3); Expertise [Vampires & Demons] 2 (+4); Insight 4 (+7); Perception 2 (+5); Persuasion 3 (+6); Vehicles 3 (+5)

POWERS
The Surgeon of Mean Enhanced Skill 2 (Deception +4; Flaw: Limited to Demoralize) [ 1 PP ]
Visions Senses 1 (Mental: Precognition; Flaw: Side Effect [Always Occurs], Uncontrolled) [ 1 PP ]
Side Effect Affliction 2 (Resist/Recover: Fortitude; Effect: Impaired, Disabled; Flaw: Limited to Two Degrees)

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 3
Parry: (5) Base 3
Fortitude: (4) Base 2
Toughness: (2/3) Base -
Will: (6) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack 4 Effect 1 Total: 5 (Unarmed)
Dodge 5 Tough. 3 Total: 8
Parry 5 Tough. 3 Total: 8
Fort. 4 Will 6 Total: 10

COMPLICATIONS
MOTIVATION (Covetous): During Cordelia's first year in Los Angeles she more or less come to terms with her riches-to-rags story, however, she hasn't totally lost her love for the finer things in life. At this point, Cordelia remains convinced that fame, fortune, and adoring masses of fans are her birthright.

RELATIONSHIPS (It's Complicated): Cordelia has a long string of ex-boyfriends behind her, but no serious romantic involvement at present. Her relationship with Xander during their junior year of high school ended badly, but they made their peace by prom, old hurts were forgiven, and the two have a close friendship. Cordelia and Wesley flirted with each other intensely throughout her senior year... But it all fizzled with a single kiss. This led to some initial awkwardness when Wesley first joined Angel Investigations, but soon developed into a deep friendship.

MOTIVATION (Recklessness): Cordelia is supremely self-confident and impulsive, willing to take incredible risks, often without thinking of the consequences... and gets into all kinds of trouble as a result. This extends to both physical dangers and complete disdain for tact, she says what’s on her mind with no consideration little diplomacy or courtesy, rushes into dangerous situations, rarely wastes time on second thoughts, and never holds regrets.

ABILITIES [ 34 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 16 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 12 pp ] +
POWERS [ 2 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 11 pp ] =
75 PP TOTAL

BACKGROUND
Base of Operations: Hyperion Hotel, Los Angeles CA
Date of Birth: 1981
Height: Statuesque
Weight: Stacked
Eyes: Stunning
Hair: Flawless
Notable Relatives: Formerly Rich Parents
Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.

Cordelia Chase debuts in Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season One as Sunnydale high school's elite Queen of Mean. She ruled Sunnydale High with an iron cell phone. She defines exactly who is “in” and initially decides the gang is not. After sharing several adventures with the crew, and being saved more than once by Buffy, she deigned to hang. Cordelia Chase was the stereotypical rich, spoiled brat that got everything she wants. Devastating in wit and fashion, she slowly warmed to the crew over time but constantly worried about how they brought down her “cool” factor.

Cordelia's constant involvement with the Scooby Gang actually led to a romantic relationship with Xander, of all people, in their junior year. However, Xander and Willow began to have naughty feelings towards one another in senior year. When Oz and Cory catch the pair engaging in unauthorized smoochies, Cordy is heartbroken and ends her relationship with Xander. Adding literal insult to literal injury, when Cordelia returned to school, her once fanatically loyal Cordettes were making fun of her. Towards the end of senior year, Cordelia’s father lost the family fortune to the taxman, and Cordy is forced to join the working classes. In retail. The horror.

Xander is the only person in town who learns of her shame, but he keeps her secret and buys her the dress she has been saving up for. This goes a long way to healing the rift between them. Like all of the other students of the Class of '99, Cordelia fought the Mayor at the climax of Season Three. After which, she moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in Hollywood... Instead, she wound up roped into Angel's adventures in the big city.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I always hated what happened to Cordy in Angel. She had a real chance to change her life for the better, but got ROYALLY jerked over by the Powers-That-Be. Admittedly, Liam might've been able to stop it(maybe) if he hadn't got badly sidetracked that season. It just seem's like such a waste of a good character to me....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I dunno. If you track Cordelia's character arc all the way from the BtVS premier of 'Welcome to the Hellmouth' to her final appearance on Angel in 'You're Welcome,' she arguably has the most character development of anyone in the entire franchise. Even more so than the two titular stars.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

But Charisma's character was treated SO shabbily at the end. She spent one Season Possessed by a Vampiric Goddess of Love(which Liam & her SUPPOSED LA friends failed to notice) and another as a Coma/Hostage victim of Wolfram & Hart. Yeah, she had the most character development of anyone in either series, but just look at how bad the character was treated at the end...
Batgirl III

Expertise [Brooding] +8

Post by Batgirl III »

ANGEL
Circa BtVS Season Five / Angel Season Two
Power Level 9 ( 135 PP )

You're Welcome (Angel S.5 E.12) wrote:Doesn't matter what you try. Doesn't matter where I am or how badass you think you've become. 'Cause you know what? I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.
ABILITIES
Strength 4(5)
Stamina --
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 8
Intellect 1
Awareness 2
Presence 2

POWERS
Flashbacks Senses 4 (Mental: Postcognition; F: Uncontrolled) [ 2 PP ]
Undead Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects); Protection 6 [ 36 PP ]
No Reflection Feature 1 (casts no reflection); Impervious Will 3 [ 4 PP ]
Predator Senses 5 (Visual: Low-Light [1]; Olfactory: Acute [1], Accurate [1], Analytical [1], Tracking [1]; F: Olfactory limited to Blood) [ 3 PP ]

Game Face Alternate Form (F: Activation [Move, -1]) [ 12 PP Total ]
Enhanced Abilities 1 (+1 STR) [ 2 PP ]
Enhanced Skill 3 (Close Attack [Unarmed] +2, Intimidate +4) [ 3 PP ]
Protection 2 [ 2 PP ]
Blood Drain Weaken 2 (Target: Strength and Stamina; Resist: Will; E: Broad, Concentration, Progressive, Simultaneous; F: Distracting, Grab-Based) [ 6 PP ]

ADVANTAGES
Attractive (1), Benefit [Wealth (1)], Contacts, Equipment (2), Favored Foe [Demons], Fearless, Improved Grab, Power Attack, Well-Informed

SKILLS
Close Attack [Archaic Weapons] 1 (+9); Close Attack [Unarmed] 3 (+12/14); Deception 3 (+5); Expertise [Arcane Lore] 4 (+5); Expertise [Fine Arts] 4 (+5); Expertise [Vampires & Demons] 7 (+8); Insight 3 (+5); Intimidate 2 (+4/8); Investigate 6 (+8); Perception 3 (+5); Stealth 8 (+10)

EQUIPMENT
Armoire Armory (Array; 6 EP)
Arming Sword Damage 3 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1]) [ 4 EP ]
AE: Battleaxe Damage 3 (Strength-based; E: Penetrating [1]) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Wooden Stake Damage 1 (Strength-based; E: Feature - Counts as Improvised Weapon) [ 1 EP ]

Hyperion Hotel (4 EP)
Size: Large [ 2 EP ]
Toughness: 6 [ 0 EP ]
Features: Living Space, Holding Cells [Toughness 12] [ 2 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 6
Parry: (10) Base 2
Fortitude: (--) Base -
Toughness: (6/8) Base -
Will: (8) Base 6

WORKSHEET
Attack 12/14 Effect 4/5 Total: 16/18 (Unarmed)
Attack 8 Effect 2 Total: 10 (Blood Drain)
Attack 9 Effect 7/8 Total: 16/17 (Arming Sword)
Attack 9 Effect 7/8 Total: 16/17 (Battleaxe)
Attack 8 Effect 5/6 Total: 13/14 (Wooden Stake)
Dodge 8 Tough. 6/8 Total: 14/16
Parry 10 Tough. 6/8 Total: 16/18
Fort. -- Will 8 Total: 8

COMPLICATIONS
VULNERABLE (The Vampire...): Angel is vulnerable to all the traditional vampiric weaknesses: sunlight, crosses, holy water, inability to enter a home unless invited, need to consume blood, et cetera.

RESPONSIBILITY (...with a Soul): I'm just going to use this as a catch-all for the many, many problems Angel has in his (un)life.

QUIRK (Various Vampire Tropes): Vampires in the Buffy 'verse can eat and drink normal food, but gain no nourishment from it. They must consume the blood of the living or recently dead. If a vampire goes too long without feeding they will weaken, first losing the superhuman physical strength, then their other abilities will beging to degrade. Denying a vampire blood will not kill them, but will eventually reduce them too little more than a skeletal walking corpse.

ABILITIES [ 32 pp ] + SKILLS [ 22 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 10 pp ] + POWERS [ 57 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 14 pp ] = 135 PP TOTAL

BACKGROUND
Alias: Angel, Angelus, The One With the Angelic Face, Herb Saunders
Base of Operations: Hyperion Hotel, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Birth: 1756 AD
Height: Tall, Dark, and Handsome
Weight: Of the world, on his shoulders
Eyes: Dreamy
Hair: Nancyboy Hair Gel'd
Notable Relatives: Conor (estranged son), The Master (grandsire), Darla (sire), Drusilla (childe), Spike (grandchilde)
Race/Species: Vampire

Do I really need a summary of who this guy is? He was the main love interest for Buffy for three seasons and got his own six season spin-off. If you don't know who Angel is, chances are you wouldn't be reading this. Go hit Netflix.

WARNING: LITERARY THEORY
Becoming, Part Two (BtVS S.2 E.22) wrote: Angelus: That's everything, huh? No weapons, no friends. No hope. Take all that away and what's left?

Buffy: (catching blade) Me.
Vampires are a centuries old, if not millennia old, monster from folklore and mythology. But our modern concept of the vampire really owes everything to three names: Bram Stoker, Anne Rice, and Joss Whedon. The influence of Bram Stoker's Dracula goes without saying, the books been a hit for nearly two centuries now and its been adapted into every medium known to man. In the late '80s and early '90s, Anne Rice's novels came along and brought a whole new popularity to vampires. In the mid-Nineties, Joss Whedon got the WB to turn a flopped movie into a mid-season replacement tv show... the rest is history. Pretty much ever depiction of vampires post-Dracula followed Stoker's model, everything that came after Interview with the Vampire followed Rice's lead, and nowadays, everything pretty much follow's Whedon's lead.

Vampirism as a symbolic stand-in for sexuality is, of course, an literary technique that is almost as old as stories about vampires. Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of the most famous, but even the folktales of Eastern Europe that inspired Stoker where centuries older than his work and still had strong sexual undercurrents. In the modern era, the 1950's "Universal Monsters" movies with Bela Lugosi hinted at it (but had to be coy due to morality codes); the 1960's Hammer Horror films about Dracula and the BBC's Dark Shadows teased it more blatantly, but never quite openly; then came the blaxploitation vampire films of the 1970's which put a unique twist on it: Turning the vampire into a symbol of white fears of black sexuality. But, it was in 1980s when works like The Lost Boys when vampires jumped from aristocratic predators to a symbol of youthful, anti-establishment punk rebellion.

Angel is an interesting combination of three of the most popular way vampires are used to explore sexual themes and all in the same character. Obviously, Angel's "vampire with a soul" storyline allows for the writers to explore the popular theme of vampires-as-tortured-outsides. Heck, Spike himself refers to this as "the Anne Rice routine." When Angel's dark side emerges, Angelus gives us a great exploration of the vampire-as-romantic-serial-killer theme, that's in the Byron and Shelly sense of the word "romantic" by the way, not the Fabio-covered cheap paper backs. Lastly, for the first three seasons of BtVS, Angel is a perfect example of the vampire-as-sexuality theme.

In BtVS Season One, Angel is in many ways representative of Buffy's own awakening sexuality. This is a thematic element often found in young adult works for early teenage girls that can seem very mystifying for men. I'm not an expert on it in anyway, but the general theory goes something like this: girls generally mature emotionally a bit faster than boys and will begin to develop sexual urges earlier. Not that they're in anyway mature enough to actually enter into a sexual relationship, but, they begin to have feelings, thoughts, and other urges. Teen girls often find themselves compelled to focus these thoughts on a single, totally unobtainable target. This is why girls in these early teen years are so often the most passionate "shippers" for fictional characters, prone to obsession of teeny-bopper pop stars, so enraptured by will-they/won't-they soap operas, and so frequently fascinated by horses*. Angel is almost the perfect embodiment of the type of imaginary boyfriend girls give themselves at this age. He's totally dreamy, he's waaaay cool, he only ever thinks about me (I mean, Buffy), and he is completely unobtainable... However, when Buffy does begin to fall for him and realize he is falling for her we get the big reveal: Angel is a vampire. He's dangerous, he's forbidden, he's everything Buffy is supposed to be against. This isn't a subtle metaphor, folks. Angel represents sexual interest, and sex is something a young girl both wants and is afraid of.

I've been told Twilight tried to explore this theme. But, I have to be honest, I haven't seen any of the films and never read the books. Well, no, thats not exactly true. When Twilight first started to attract a lot of attention, I wanted to give it a fair shot before I too jumped on the backlash bandwagon. So I bought the first book and gave it a read. I couldn't get past page one. The writing was just that bad. Twilight is one of only two books I've ever started to read and deliberatly chosen to walk away from. The other was The Turner Diaries. Not good company to keep.

In BtVS Season Two, Angel represents the more direct dangers of sexuality. I mean, c'mon, do I really need to explain how "I slept with the guy and then he totally changed." is a common fear for young women? Do I need to explain how Season Two's Angel/Angelus plot-line represents that metaphorical fear? I think not.

In BtVS Season Two, Angel represents Buffy's maturity and gaining total control over her own sexuality. When she was young, she was afraid of it. When she lost control of it, he turned on her and hurt her. Now, she comes to control it more fully... and Angel leaves. The relationship between the two continues for the remainder of both series, but it is now a purely romantic one. The sexual tension is gone... Not only because they're on different networks, but also because Buffy has mastered this part of her life.

* No, really. That's totally a thing. There are mountains of academic literature on the connection between teenage girls, sexuality, and horses. You can look it up yourself, but be careful exactly what you type into Google.

Whew, that got all highfalutin' and academic didn't it? Quick, look at this picture of Angel as a muppet:

Ken

Post by Ken »

Expertise [Brooding] +8 ??? Seems a tad low.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.