Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

The Ghost Who Walks

Post by Batgirl III »

THE PHANTOM
The Ghost Who Walks
Power Level 8 ( 180 PP)

The Oath of the Skull wrote:I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, and cruelty, in all their forms, and my sons and their sons, shall follow me.
ABILITIES
Strength 4
Stamina 4
Agility 5
Dexterity 4
Fighting 8
Intellect 5
Awareness 5
Presence 5

SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+8), Athletics 4 (+8), Close Attack [Unarmed] 4 (+12), Deception 3 (+8), Expertise [Animal Handling] 3 (+8), Expertise [Survival] 9 (+14), , Expertise [Streetwise] 3 (+8), Insight 5 (+10), Intimidation 7 (+12), Investigation 3 (+8), Perception 5 (+10), Persuasion 6 (+11), Ranged Attack [Firearms] 4 (+8), Sleight of Hand 4 (+8), Stealth 5 (+10), Treatment 3 (+8), Vehicles 3 (+7)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit [Alternate Identity (1), Cipher (1), Wealth (3)], Contacts, Connected, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (5), Evasion (1), Favored Environment [Jungle], Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Jack-of-All-Trades, Minion [Hero (4)], Power Attack, Redirect, Sidekick [Devil (10)], Skill Mastery [Stealth], Startle, Takedown (2), Well-Informed

POWERS
Leaping 1 (15') [ 1 PP ]
Speed 1 (4 MPH) [ 1 PP ]
Movement 5 (Safe-Fall, Sure Footed [2], Swinging, Trackless; Flaw: Limited to Jungles) [ 5 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 25 EP )
Custom Colt M1911 Pistols [ 6 EP ]
Disarming Shot Affliction 8 (Resist: Dodge; Recover: Will; Conditions: Attack Impaired, Attack Disabled, Attack Debilitated; Extras: Alternate Resistance, Ranged, Split [1]; Flaws: Limited to Weapon-based Attacks) [ 5 EP ]
AE: Sharpshooting Damage 4 (Extras: Ranged, Split [1]; Flaws: Limited to Non-Living Targets) [ 1 EP ]

The Skull Ring Feature 1 (Evildoers that are punched with it are left with permanent mark in the form of a skull, known as a Skull Mark.) [ 1 EP ]
The Good Mark Ring Feature 1 (May be used to mark a willing person - and their descendents - with a mark in the form of cross made of four stylized "P" letters that shows they are under the Phantom's protection.) [ 1 EP ]

Skull Cave [ 17 EP ]
Size: Huge (3ep)
Tough: 10 (2ep)
Features: Communications, Grounds [Colossal], Gym, Infirmary, Isolated, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System, Trophy Room, Workshop (12ep)

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 5
Parry: (10) Base 2
Fortitude: (8) Base 4
Toughness: (4/6) ——
Will: (8) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack: 12 Effect: 4 Total: 16 (Unarmed)
Attack: 8 Effect: 8 Total: 16 (Disarming Shot)
Attack: 8 Effect: 4 Total: 12 (Sharpshooting)
Dodge: 10 Tough.: 4/6 Total: 14/16
Parry: 10 Tough.: 4/6 Total: 14/16
Fort.: 8 Will: 8 Total: 16

ABILITIES [ 80 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 37 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 42 pp ] +
POWERS [ 7 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 14 pp ] =
180 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation (The Oath of the Skull): When a new Phantom takes the task from his dying father, he swears the Oath of the Skull: "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty, and injustice, in all their forms, and my sons and their sons shall follow me."

Responsibility (Bangalla): The Phantom is the protector of the fictional African country of Bangalla.

Responsibility (Diana Palmer, Guran, Kit, Heloise): Despite his fearsome reputation, the Phantom is highly-protective of those close to him. Attacks on their lives will be taken very seriously.

Responsibility (The Good Mark): The Good Mark Ring may be used to grant any willing person a mark that shows they have earned the Phantom's protection and this mark may be passed down to their descendents. The Phantom considers protecting them as an important part of The Oath of the Skull.

Enemy (the Singh Brotherhood): The Phantom has amassed numerous enemies, but none are as hated by him quite as much as the pirates of the Singh Brotherhood.
Devil
DEVIL
Sidekick Level 10 ( 50 PP)[/size]

ABILITIES
Strength 1
Stamina 3
Agility 3
Dexterity 0
Fighting 3
Intellect -2
Awareness 2
Presence -2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 4 (+5), Close Combat [Tooth and Claw] 3 (+6), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation 7 (+5), Perception 3 (+5), Stealth 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Benefit [Legal Citizen of Bangalla], Defensive Roll (2), Great Endurance, Improved Trip

POWERS
Damage 3 (Strength-based; Extras: Improved Critical [1]) [ 4 PP ]
Senses 6 (Auditory: Extended, Ultra-Hearing; Olfactory: Acute, Extended, Tracking [1]; Visual: Low-Light) [ 6 PP ]
Speed 2 (8 MPH) [ 2 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 2
Parry: (5) Base 2
Fortitude: (3) Base 0
Toughness: (3/6) ——
Will: (3) Base 1

WORKSHEET
Attack: 6 Effect: 4 Total: 10
Dodge: 5 Tough.: 3/5 Total: 8/10
Parry: 5 Tough.: 3/5 Total: 8/10
Fort.: 3 Will: 3 Total: 6

Devil is a grey mountain wolf, found and raised by The 21st Phantom, and remains his ever-faithful companion when it comes to chasing down criminals. Devil has an advantage over Hero, in that he's able to follow his master into places where the horse wouldn't be able to, so he's more frequent seen with the Phantom fighting crime.

Devil is a faithful and extremely intelligent wolf. He's been portrayed as understanding what the Phantom tells him, and even plotted to save his master from danger several times. He's generally docile to children and friendly people, but when dealing with "roughnecks", he's not shy to show his deadly fangs, even though he's likely to attack by command of his master, and not to kill.

Diana is affectionate with him. Many times Devil appeared in front of her in the U.S., which could only mean that the Phantom would be right behind. Devil's also very keen of Mrs. Palmer, Diana´s mother, much to her despair ever since learning Devil is actually a savage wolf. Situations involving Devil and Mrs. Palmer tend to be quite humorous.

Devil is also a legal citizen of Bangalla, known as 'Mr. Devil in his passport which is signed by President Luaga himself.No, really.
Hero
HERO
Minion Level 4 ( 60 PP)[/size]

ABILITIES
Strength 5
Stamina 7
Agility 1
Dexterity 0
Fighting 4
Intellect -2
Awareness 1
Presence -2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 1 (+1), Athletics 10 (+15), Close Combat [Hooves] 2 (+6), Expertise [Survival] 7 (+5), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation 4 (+4), Perception 4 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Defensive Roll (1), Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Move-By Ultimate Effort [Athletics]

POWERS
Damage 1 (Strength-based; Extras: Reach [1]) [ 2 PP ]
Growth 4 (+4 Strength, +4 Stamina; +4 Mass; +2 Intimidate; -2 Defenses; Extras: Permanent, Innate) [ 9 PP ]
Senses 2 (Visual: Low-Light, Radius) [ 2 PP ]
Speed 3 (16 MPH) [ 3 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (4) Base 6 -2
Parry: (4) Base 2 -2
Fortitude: (8) Base 1
Toughness: (7/8) ——
Will: (4) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack: 6 Effect: 6 Total: 12
Dodge: 4 Tough.: 7/8 Total: 11/12
Parry: 4 Tough.: 7/8 Total: 11/12
Fort.: 8 Will: 4 Total: 12

Hero is the horse of the Phantom.

Hero, whose full name is Royal Hero was a gift to the Phantom from the Maharajah of Nimpore, after the Phantom had rescued him. Hero is a white stallion and is one of the finest horses in the entire world.
BACKGROUND
Alias: Kit Walker
Date of Birth: Unknown
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Relationships: Diana Palmer (wife), Kit (son), Heloise (daughter)
Legal Status: Citizen of the Bangalla with no criminal record.

BUILD NOTES
Arguably, the first costumed superhero of them all, the Phantom was created by Lee Falk in 1936 for King Features Syndicate and has been fighting evildoers in newspaper comic strips, traditional comic books, pulp novels, animated cartoons, and one rather forgetable live-action film ever since. Developed during comics'Golden Age, drawn and written by a single author for over sixty years, The Phantom is somewhat obscure in the United States where he was created but is HUGE overseas. There was a "Fantomenland" theme park in Sweden, Australia hosted a fine art exhibition for Phantom fan art, he got a live-action tv show in India in the Nineties, he's commonly found painted on the traditional war-shields of Papua New Guinea.

The Phantom a costumed crime-fighter who operates from the fictional country of Bangalla, an intentional mash-up of the Darkest Africa of Tarzan, the wild India of Kipling's The Jungle Book, and the exotic pirate hideouts of Treasure Island and other such fare.

In the jungles of Bangalla, there is a myth featuring "The Ghost Who Walks," a powerful and indestructible guardian of the innocent and fighter of all types of injustice. Because he seems to have existed for generations, many believe him to be immortal. In reality, the Phantom is a legacy hero, descended from twenty previous generations of crimefighters who all adopt the same persona. When a new Phantom takes the task from his dying father, he swears the Oath of the Skull: "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty, and injustice, in all their forms, and my sons and their sons shall follow me."

The present Phantom is the twenty-first in the line. He has no superhuman powers, relying only on his wits, physical strength, skill with his weapons, and fearsome reputation to fight crime.

The current Phantom's birth name is Kit Walker, as was the name of many of the Phantoms before him. Kit was born in the Skull Cave and spent his first years in the jungle of Bangalla. His mother, Maud Thorne McPatrick, who had previously worked as Rita Hayworth's stunt double, was born in Mississippi, where Kit was sent to study when he was 12 years old, living with his aunt Lucy and uncle Jasper in the town of Clarksville, Missouri.

Here he met his wife-to-be, Diana Palmer. Kit was an extremely talented sportsman and was predicted to become the world champion in many different events (even knocking out the world heavyweight boxing champion in a sparring match when the champion visited Clarksville). Despite the opportunity to choose practically any career he wanted, Kit faithfully returned to Bengalla to take over the role of the Phantom when he received word from Guran that his father was dying from a knife-wound.

One of Kit's first missions as the Phantom was to find his father's killer, Rama Singh, who had betrayed and murdered the 20th Phantom by first helping him to blow up a fleet of ships owned by the Singh Brotherhood, only to then stab him in the back, stealing his special gunbelt in the process. The 21st Phantom eventually found him and reclaimed the belt at the island of Gullique, but before he could avenge his father and bring the killer to jail, the desperate Rama blew up his lair, killing himself and his henchmen in the process.

In 1978, he married his sweetheart, Diana Palmer, who works at the United Nations. The Phantom and Diana have two children, Kit and Heloise. His chief aide and ally is Guran, chief of the local pygmy Bandar tribe, who are the only tribe to know the Phantom's true nature. Guran is the Phantom's best friend since childhood and a supporter of his cause.

The Phantom wears a black domino mask and a purple skintight bodysuit. He also carries a pair of customized M1911 pistols in a distinctive belt with a skull-shaped buckle. Lee Falk was insistent that the Phantom only uses his guns to shoot out the guns of his opponents, although over the long history of the character this rule was sometimes broken.

The Phantom also wears two special rings. One has a pattern formed like four crossing sabres or four stylized "P's", this is "The Good Mark", that he leaves on visitors whom he befriends, placing the person and their descendents under his protection. The other, "The Skull Mark" has a skull shape, which leaves a scar of the corresponding shape on the enemies he punches with it. He wears the Good Mark on his left hand because it is closer to the heart, and the Evil Mark on his right hand.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Hoid

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread

Post by Hoid »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 am Image
ONDORI-SHISHO
Rifts Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP )

Animaniacs wrote:He's a chicken, I tell ya! A giant chicken!
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 3
Agility 8
Dexterity 5
Fighting 10
Intellect 4
Awareness 2
Presence 0

SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+8), Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat [Archaic Melee Weapons] 4 (+14), Expertise [Bushido] 4 (+8), Expertise [Calligraphy] 1 (+5), Expertise [Demon & Monster Lore] 1 (+5), Intimidation 5 (+3), Ranged Combat [Archery] 3 (+12), Stealth 0 (+9), Survival 1 (+5), Treatment 1 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit [Ambidextrous], Defensive Attack, Equipment (2), Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Smash, Languages (3), Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (4), Startle, Takedown (1), Weapon Bind

POWERS
Mutant Chicken Senses 1 (Visual: Ultravision; E: Innate [1]); Shrinking 4 (-1 Size, -1 Strength; +2 Dodge, +2 Parry; +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation; E: Innate [1]) [ 11 PP ]
Mega-Damage Samurai Armor Protection 5 (E: Impervious [5], Subtle [1]) [ 11 PP ]
Rune Katana Damage 4 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1], Penetrating [5]) [ 10 PP ]
AE: Rune Wakisashi Damage 3 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1], Penetrating [5]) [ 1 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 10 EP )
Longbow & Arrows Damage 3 (E: Extended Range [1], Ranged) [ 7 EP ]
AE: Yari Spear Damage 4 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1], Reach [1], Split [1]) [ 1 EP ]
Binoculars [ 1 EP ]
Walkie-Talkie [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 0
Parry: (12) Base 0
Fortitude: (8) Base 5
Toughness: (3/8) ——
Will: (8) Base 6

WORKSHEET
Attack: 10 Effect: 2 Total: 12 (Unarmed)
Attack: 14 Effect: 6 Total: 20 (Rune Katana)
Attack: 14 Effect: 5 Total: 19 (Rune Wakisashi)
Attack: 12 Effect: 3 Total: 15 (Longbow)
Attack: 14 Effect: 6 Total: 20 (Yari Spear)

Dodge: 8 Tough: 3/8 Total: 11/16
Parry: 12 Tough: 3/8 Total: 15/20
Fort: 8 Will: 8 Total: 16

ABILITIES [ 70 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 13 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 23 pp ] +
POWERS [ 33 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 11 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Prejudice (Obvious Non-Human): Ondori-Shisho is very obviously a non-human and faces extreme prejudice in Coalition States territory.
Responsibility (Code of Bushido): Ondori-Shisho is an honorable samurai and is sworn to live (and die) by the code of bushido.

Date of Birth: Unknown (Age Unknown)
Base of Operations: Nomadic
Height: 3'6" (1.07 m)
Weight: 90 lbs. (41 kg)
Eyes: Yellow
Hair: Brown Feathers
Race: Mutant Chicken
Religion: Buddhist
Relationships: None
Legal Status: Citizen of the Otomo Shogunate with no criminal record.

Notes:
Just too illustrate how weird and whacky RIFTS can be, here's the M&M3e conversion of one of the only two RIFTS Player Characters that I have ever made that lasted longer than a single one-shot adventure. For most of my life, whenever I've played RIFTS, it was a purely munchkin affair, we'd all pour over the books for several hours fueled by too much caffine, sleep deprevation, and egging each other on to make the stupidest, most over the top monstrosities we could. Then we'd nuke dinosaur-demons for a few hours and call it good.

Then we met Josh.

Josh loved RIFTS. I mean, really and truly, loved RIFTS. In a totally sincecere and non-ironic way. The guy had the RIFTS logo tattoo'd on his leg. Josh is the only person I have ever met who not only knew all the rules to RIFTS backwards and forwards, but he could actually navigate the rulebooks and find you where things were located... He also knew how to run a long term RIFTS campaign. We played Josh's RIFTS game for over two years of weekly games, which was an incredibly long campaign for my group in any system. Let alone RIFTS.

Ondori-Shisho was created by me with my usual "It's RIFTS, make the character a joke, who cares!?" attitude. Using the Mutant Animal random charts from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness and an O.C.C. from RIFTS Japan. So I made a three and a half foot tall chicken, running around with a pair of magic swords, who for no logical reason whatsoever found himself in rural Arkansas... and it turned out to be epic.
Original RIFTS Stats wrote:
Name: Ondori-Shisho
Race: Mutant Animal
O.C.C.: Traditional Samurai Warrior

IQ 18 +5%
ME 12
MA 13
PS 19
PP 27 +5
PE 17
PB 12
Spd 16

SDC +42
P.P.E. PEx2+1d6

Animal Type: Rural, Chicken
Cause of Mutation: Deliberate Experimentation
Organization: Military Organization
Samurai Family: Mere Peasant Farmer

BIO-E POINTS
Base Animal: CHICKEN
Size Level: 3
Length: 8-12"
Weight: 4-10 lbs.
Build: Short
TOTAL BIO-E: 65
Physical Size 3 to 7 (20 BE)
Full Human Hands (10 BE)
Full Upright Biped (0 BE)
Partial Human Looks (5 BE)
Ultra-Violet Vision (20 BE)
Psionics: Sixth-Sense (10 BE)

SKILLS
Climbing 65/55%
Horsemanship [Samurai] 69%
Lore: Demon & Monster 45%
Wilderness Survival 45%
Tracking [People] 35%
Go 45%
Calligraphy 50%
Literacy: Japanese 60%
Languages: Japanese 98%
Languages: English 65%
Languages: Chinese 65%
Mathematics: Basic 65%
Identify Plants/Fruit 40%
Wilderness Survival 45%
Acrobatics ***
- Sense of Balance 75%
- Walk Tightrope 75%
- Climb Rope 95%
- Back Flip 75%
- Basic Prowl 45%
W.P. Daisho --
W.P. Samurai Archery --
W.P. Sword --
W.P. Staff --
W.P. Targeting --
W.P. Iron Fan --
HtH: Zanji Shinjinken-Ryo

COMBAT
Attacks per Melee: 2 (+1 with daisho)
Initiative: +2 (+1 with daisho)
Strike: +0 (+1 with swords, staves, or thrown)
Parry: +1 (+2 with swords or staves)
Dodge: +3
Roll With: +4
Pull Punch: +2 (+3 with daisho)
Damage: +2

Standard Equipment: A suit of magic mega-damage samurai armor and helmet: 100 M.D.C. but is not an environmental suit — created by priests, sorcerers, dragons, passed from generation to generation, captured from oni, or presented as gifts or rewards by the gods. Other gear is minimal, "Samurai" silks or cotton clothing, megadamage body armor and several changes of clothes (kimonos), sandals, a utility belt, backpack, knapsack, 2 canteens, 2D4 days of rations and a quality riding horse. Weapons include a daisho (rune katana and wakizashi), samurai longbow with 20 regular arrows, 6 silver tipped, and 6 magic arrows (more can be acquired later), two additional weapons of choice (usually represent W.P.). Magic weapons are a favorite, but other than the daisho and some arrows, the character starts with none.
Money: 3d4x1000 Credits
THIS IS PURE AWESOMESAUCE.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (The Phantom)

Post by Batgirl III »

RIFTS© might not be any good at coherent rulebook layout, decent proofreading, basic editing, or paying their freelance authors a fair wage... But RIFTS© is very good at insane, over the top, anything goes, kitchen-sink crossovers.
MacynSnow

Re: The Ghost Who Walks

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 pm Image

THE PHANTOM
The Ghost Who Walks
Power Level 8 ( 180 PP)

The Oath of the Skull wrote:I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, and cruelty, in all their forms, and my sons and their sons, shall follow me.
ABILITIES
Strength 4
Stamina 4
Agility 5
Dexterity 4
Fighting 8
Intellect 5
Awareness 5
Presence 5

SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+8), Athletics 4 (+8), Close Attack [Unarmed] 4 (+12), Deception 3 (+8), Expertise [Animal Handling] 3 (+8), Expertise [Survival] 9 (+14), , Expertise [Streetwise] 3 (+8), Insight 5 (+10), Intimidation 7 (+12), Investigation 3 (+8), Perception 5 (+10), Persuasion 6 (+11), Ranged Attack [Firearms] 4 (+8), Sleight of Hand 4 (+8), Stealth 5 (+10), Treatment 3 (+8), Vehicles 3 (+7)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit [Alternate Identity (1), Cipher (1), Wealth (3)], Contacts, Connected, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (5), Evasion (1), Favored Environment [Jungle], Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Jack-of-All-Trades, Minion [Hero (4)], Power Attack, Redirect, Sidekick [Devil (10)], Skill Mastery [Stealth], Startle, Takedown (2), Well-Informed

POWERS
Leaping 1 (15') [ 1 PP ]
Speed 1 (4 MPH) [ 1 PP ]
Movement 5 (Safe-Fall, Sure Footed [2], Swinging, Trackless; Flaw: Limited to Jungles) [ 5 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 25 EP )
Custom Colt M1911 Pistols [ 6 EP ]
Disarming Shot Affliction 8 (Resist: Dodge; Recover: Will; Conditions: Attack Impaired, Attack Disabled, Attack Debilitated; Extras: Alternate Resistance, Ranged, Split [1]; Flaws: Limited to Weapon-based Attacks) [ 5 EP ]
AE: Sharpshooting Damage 4 (Extras: Ranged, Split [1]; Flaws: Limited to Non-Living Targets) [ 1 EP ]

The Skull Ring Feature 1 (Evildoers that are punched with it are left with permanent mark in the form of a skull, known as a Skull Mark.) [ 1 EP ]
The Good Mark Ring Feature 1 (May be used to mark a willing person - and their descendents - with a mark in the form of cross made of four stylized "P" letters that shows they are under the Phantom's protection.) [ 1 EP ]

Skull Cave [ 17 EP ]
Size: Huge (3ep)
Tough: 10 (2ep)
Features: Communications, Grounds [Colossal], Gym, Infirmary, Isolated, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System, Trophy Room, Workshop (12ep)

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 5
Parry: (10) Base 2
Fortitude: (8) Base 4
Toughness: (4/6) ——
Will: (8) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack: 12 Effect: 4 Total: 16 (Unarmed)
Attack: 8 Effect: 8 Total: 16 (Disarming Shot)
Attack: 8 Effect: 4 Total: 12 (Sharpshooting)
Dodge: 10 Tough.: 4/6 Total: 14/16
Parry: 10 Tough.: 4/6 Total: 14/16
Fort.: 8 Will: 8 Total: 16

ABILITIES [ 80 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 37 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 42 pp ] +
POWERS [ 7 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 14 pp ] =
180 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation (The Oath of the Skull): When a new Phantom takes the task from his dying father, he swears the Oath of the Skull: "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty, and injustice, in all their forms, and my sons and their sons shall follow me."

Responsibility (Bangalla): The Phantom is the protector of the fictional African country of Bangalla.

Responsibility (Diana Palmer, Guran, Kit, Heloise): Despite his fearsome reputation, the Phantom is highly-protective of those close to him. Attacks on their lives will be taken very seriously.

Responsibility (The Good Mark): The Good Mark Ring may be used to grant any willing person a mark that shows they have earned the Phantom's protection and this mark may be passed down to their descendents. The Phantom considers protecting them as an important part of The Oath of the Skull.

Enemy (the Singh Brotherhood): The Phantom has amassed numerous enemies, but none are as hated by him quite as much as the pirates of the Singh Brotherhood.
Devil
DEVIL
Sidekick Level 10 ( 50 PP)[/size]

ABILITIES
Strength 1
Stamina 3
Agility 3
Dexterity 0
Fighting 3
Intellect -2
Awareness 2
Presence -2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 4 (+5), Close Combat [Tooth and Claw] 3 (+6), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation 7 (+5), Perception 3 (+5), Stealth 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Benefit [Legal Citizen of Bangalla], Defensive Roll (2), Great Endurance, Improved Trip

POWERS
Damage 3 (Strength-based; Extras: Improved Critical [1]) [ 4 PP ]
Senses 6 (Auditory: Extended, Ultra-Hearing; Olfactory: Acute, Extended, Tracking [1]; Visual: Low-Light) [ 6 PP ]
Speed 2 (8 MPH) [ 2 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 2
Parry: (5) Base 2
Fortitude: (3) Base 0
Toughness: (3/6) ——
Will: (3) Base 1

WORKSHEET
Attack: 6 Effect: 4 Total: 10
Dodge: 5 Tough.: 3/5 Total: 8/10
Parry: 5 Tough.: 3/5 Total: 8/10
Fort.: 3 Will: 3 Total: 6

Devil is a grey mountain wolf, found and raised by The 21st Phantom, and remains his ever-faithful companion when it comes to chasing down criminals. Devil has an advantage over Hero, in that he's able to follow his master into places where the horse wouldn't be able to, so he's more frequent seen with the Phantom fighting crime.

Devil is a faithful and extremely intelligent wolf. He's been portrayed as understanding what the Phantom tells him, and even plotted to save his master from danger several times. He's generally docile to children and friendly people, but when dealing with "roughnecks", he's not shy to show his deadly fangs, even though he's likely to attack by command of his master, and not to kill.

Diana is affectionate with him. Many times Devil appeared in front of her in the U.S., which could only mean that the Phantom would be right behind. Devil's also very keen of Mrs. Palmer, Diana´s mother, much to her despair ever since learning Devil is actually a savage wolf. Situations involving Devil and Mrs. Palmer tend to be quite humorous.

Devil is also a legal citizen of Bangalla, known as 'Mr. Devil in his passport which is signed by President Luaga himself.No, really.
Hero
HERO
Minion Level 4 ( 60 PP)[/size]

ABILITIES
Strength 5
Stamina 7
Agility 1
Dexterity 0
Fighting 4
Intellect -2
Awareness 1
Presence -2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 1 (+1), Athletics 10 (+15), Close Combat [Hooves] 2 (+6), Expertise [Survival] 7 (+5), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation 4 (+4), Perception 4 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Defensive Roll (1), Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Move-By Ultimate Effort [Athletics]

POWERS
Damage 1 (Strength-based; Extras: Reach [1]) [ 2 PP ]
Growth 4 (+4 Strength, +4 Stamina; +4 Mass; +2 Intimidate; -2 Defenses; Extras: Permanent, Innate) [ 9 PP ]
Senses 2 (Visual: Low-Light, Radius) [ 2 PP ]
Speed 3 (16 MPH) [ 3 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (4) Base 6 -2
Parry: (4) Base 2 -2
Fortitude: (8) Base 1
Toughness: (7/8) ——
Will: (4) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack: 6 Effect: 6 Total: 12
Dodge: 4 Tough.: 7/8 Total: 11/12
Parry: 4 Tough.: 7/8 Total: 11/12
Fort.: 8 Will: 4 Total: 12

Hero is the horse of the Phantom.

Hero, whose full name is Royal Hero was a gift to the Phantom from the Maharajah of Nimpore, after the Phantom had rescued him. Hero is a white stallion and is one of the finest horses in the entire world.
BACKGROUND
Alias: Kit Walker
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Identity: Secret
Relationships: Diana Palmer (wife), Kit (son), Heloise (daughter)
Legal Status: Citizen of the Bangalla with no criminal record.

BUILD NOTES
Arguably, the first costumed superhero of them all, the Phantom was created by Lee Falk in 1936 for King Features Syndicate and has been fighting evildoers in newspaper comic strips, traditional comic books, pulp novels, animated cartoons, and one rather forgetable live-action film ever since. Developed during comics'Golden Age, drawn and written by a single author for over sixty years, The Phantom is somewhat obscure in the United States where he was created but is HUGE overseas. There was a "Fantomenland" theme park in Sweden, Australia hosted a fine art exhibition for Phantom fan art, he got a live-action tv show in India in the Nineties, he's commonly found painted on the traditional war-shields of Papua New Guinea.

The Phantom a costumed crime-fighter who operates from the fictional country of Bangalla, an intentional mash-up of the Darkest Africa of Tarzan, the wild India of Kipling's The Jungle Book, and the exotic pirate hideouts of Treasure Island and other such fare.

In the jungles of Bangalla, there is a myth featuring "The Ghost Who Walks," a powerful and indestructible guardian of the innocent and fighter of all types of injustice. Because he seems to have existed for generations, many believe him to be immortal. In reality, the Phantom is a legacy hero, descended from twenty previous generations of crimefighters who all adopt the same persona. When a new Phantom takes the task from his dying father, he swears the Oath of the Skull: "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty, and injustice, in all their forms, and my sons and their sons shall follow me."

The present Phantom is the twenty-first in the line. He has no superhuman powers, relying only on his wits, physical strength, skill with his weapons, and fearsome reputation to fight crime.

The current Phantom's birth name is Kit Walker, as was the name of many of the Phantoms before him. Kit was born in the Skull Cave and spent his first years in the jungle of Bangalla. His mother, Maud Thorne McPatrick, who had previously worked as Rita Hayworth's stunt double, was born in Mississippi, where Kit was sent to study when he was 12 years old, living with his aunt Lucy and uncle Jasper in the town of Clarksville, Missouri.

Here he met his wife-to-be, Diana Palmer. Kit was an extremely talented sportsman and was predicted to become the world champion in many different events (even knocking out the world heavyweight boxing champion in a sparring match when the champion visited Clarksville). Despite the opportunity to choose practically any career he wanted, Kit faithfully returned to Bengalla to take over the role of the Phantom when he received word from Guran that his father was dying from a knife-wound.

One of Kit's first missions as the Phantom was to find his father's killer, Rama Singh, who had betrayed and murdered the 20th Phantom by first helping him to blow up a fleet of ships owned by the Singh Brotherhood, only to then stab him in the back, stealing his special gunbelt in the process. The 21st Phantom eventually found him and reclaimed the belt at the island of Gullique, but before he could avenge his father and bring the killer to jail, the desperate Rama blew up his lair, killing himself and his henchmen in the process.

In 1978, he married his sweetheart, Diana Palmer, who works at the United Nations. The Phantom and Diana have two children, Kit and Heloise. His chief aide and ally is Guran, chief of the local pygmy Bandar tribe, who are the only tribe to know the Phantom's true nature. Guran is the Phantom's best friend since childhood and a supporter of his cause.

The Phantom wears a black domino mask and a purple skintight bodysuit. He also carries a pair of customized M1911 pistols in a distinctive belt with a skull-shaped buckle. Lee Falk was insistent that the Phantom only uses his guns to shoot out the guns of his opponents, although over the long history of the character this rule was sometimes broken.

The Phantom also wears two special rings. One has a pattern formed like four crossing sabres or four stylized "P's", this is "The Good Mark", that he leaves on visitors whom he befriends, placing the person and their descendents under his protection. The other, "The Skull Mark" has a skull shape, which leaves a scar of the corresponding shape on the enemies he punches with it. He wears the Good Mark on his left hand because it is closer to the heart, and the Evil Mark on his right hand.
<Takes a big Sniff, briefly act's like it's a high>
Smell that Pulp in the Air, baby!
This man,The Shadow, Doc Savage, Tarzan and The Rocketeer are my TRUE "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". Say what you will about the Bat-Family(i've had my disagreements with them), but every single one of them(even the Women) owe their very existence to these guy's right here. Thank you BG, for giving me my Pulp fix with a Perfectly done Phantom....
<Hold's out Doc Savage Monthly>
Want a hit?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

My love of the Batman Family shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. But I also love pulp heroes... The Shadow, Zorro, Doc Savage, Tarzan, Flash Gordon, Mandrake the Magician, and so on and so forth. I also love their modern(ish) spiritual descendants: Adam Strange, Indiana Jones, the Rocketeer, et. al.

These guys are all foundational to the genre. Plus, there’s just something that appeals to me about the simplicity of the two-fisted adventurers of the day.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:59 pm My love of the Batman Family shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. But I also love pulp heroes... The Shadow, Zorro, Doc Savage, Tarzan, Flash Gordon, Mandrake the Magician, and so on and so forth. I also love their modern(ish) spiritual descendants: Adam Strange, Indiana Jones, the Rocketeer, et. al.

These guys are all foundational to the genre. Plus, there’s just something that appeals to me about the simplicity of the two-fisted adventurers of the day.
Oh i 100% agree. While a lot of Heros can easily be Brave when they have powers, it takes a Special kind of Bravery to walk up to a Mad Titan with literally God's Kitchen Mitt(cause seriously, that Gauntlet looks like an Oven Mitt. Prove me wrong) and say's "No". True, he got killed pretty quickly(whereas in the Movie, he had a pretty good showing) but it was the fact that he did it in the first place that counts.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh, cool! Nice to see The Phantom represented. One of the oldest of the old school, and arguably a predecessor of all who came before him, though he's more of an adventuring warrior in the aforementioned Tarzan vein (or like Mandrake the Magician) than a classic "Superhero" in many respects- essentially slapping an odd costume on an older concept. But it's close enough to count.

I hadn't realized he'd gone on to such international acclaim- only that a few modern (or semi-modern, since I'm old and that's like 30-40 years ago) adaptations have tried and failed to make him relevant once more. Sadly, his pretty plain costume, which looks cool in black & white comics but is pretty weaksauce for modern heroes, doesn't help him. And it's hard to trot him out and be like "Hey, he's one of the FIRST!" when all of his aspects have been done later, and in more bombastic ways. In many respects, the Phantom walked so Spider-Man could swing.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The 1996 film with Billy Zane in the lead isn’t a bad film, on its own merits, but it didn’t go over with general audiences. There was this big effort in the early to mid Nineties to make old pulp heroes and pulp inspired new characters into big budget feature films: Dick Tracy (1990), The Rocketeer (1991), The Shadow (1994), Cutthroat Island (1995) and The Phantom (1996)... But it never seemed to click.

I loved all this, of course. But I was in my early teen years for most of this and spending my nights reading Robert E. Howard, Robert A. Heinlein, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and E.E. “Doc” Smith while all the other girls in my demographic were reading The Babysitters Club and swooning over boy bands. So, admittedly, I wasn’t a good barometer of the popular zeitgeist.

I’d like to see Marvel Studios try to tackle a pulp hero in the MCU, like with maybe Ka-Zar, Namor, or the Invaders. But, then again, the Agent Carter series flopped and most “normies” I talk to think I’m weird for having wanted the Captain America film to have had more sequels set during WWII. So, hey, what do I know?

Oh, yeah, I know... We only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:56 pm The 1996 film with Billy Zane in the lead isn’t a bad film, on its own merits, but it didn’t go over with general audiences. There was this big effort in the early to mid Nineties to make old pulp heroes and pulp inspired new characters into big budget feature films: Dick Tracy (1990), The Rocketeer (1991), The Shadow (1994), Cutthroat Island (1995) and The Phantom (1996)... But it never seemed to click.

I loved all this, of course. But I was in my early teen years for most of this and spending my nights reading Robert E. Howard, Robert A. Heinlein, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and E.E. “Doc” Smith while all the other girls in my demographic were reading The Babysitters Club and swooning over boy bands. So, admittedly, I wasn’t a good barometer of the popular zeitgeist.

I’d like to see Marvel Studios try to tackle a pulp hero in the MCU, like with maybe Ka-Zar, Namor, or the Invaders. But, then again, the Agent Carter series flopped and most “normies” I talk to think I’m weird for having wanted the Captain America film to have had more sequels set during WWII. So, hey, what do I know?

Oh, yeah, I know... We only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!
The issue is, Pulp Heroism is one of those genres that writers seem to just LOVE, but the actual buying public just couldn't care less about. It reminds me of your take on the continued failure of Adam Strange to catch on after the 1960s- he's an orphan of a genre no one wants to read anymore. Pulps are a niche of a niche, inspiring and then being left behind by superhero comics and noir (which itself became a dying/dead genre).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Writers seem to love the old pulp writers, but the general public is kinda meh on them; Artists seem to love avant-garde guys like Allred and Tedesco, but not the public at large; Film snobs love film noir, but...; Music guys will talk for days about blues guitarists no one else has ever heard of...

And so it goes.
Batgirl III

Ahhh-aaah!

Post by Batgirl III »

FLASH GORDON
King Features Syndicate Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP)

Queen wrote:Flash! Ahhh-aaah!
Savior of the universe

Flash! Ahhh-aaah!
He'll save every one of us

Flash! Ahhh-aaah!
He's a miracle

Flash! Ahhh-aaah!
King of the impossible
ABILITIES
Strength 4
Stamina 5
Agility 5
Dexterity 5
Fighting 6
Intellect 4
Awareness 4
Presence 7

SKILLS
Athletics 6 (+10), Close Attack [Unarmed] 4 (+10), Expertise [Science] 4 (+8), Insight 4 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+12), Ranged Attack [Raygun] 10 (+5), Stealth 4 (+9), Vehicles 3 (+8)

ADVANTAGES
Attractive (2), Benefit [Fame], Defensive Roll (5), Diehard, Equipment (10), Evasion (1), Improved Defense, Inspire (1), Jack-of-All-Trades, Leadership, Luck (2), Power Attack, Redirect, Startle, Takedown (1)

POWERS

EQUIPMENT ( 50 EP )
Ray Gun Damage 5 (Extras: Ranged) [ 10 EP ]

Rocket Ship ( 40 EP )
Size: Gargantuan [ 3 EP ]
Strength: 12 [ 0 EP ]
Speed: 11 [ 22 EP ]
Defense: 6 [ 10 EP ]
Toughness: 12 [ 1 EP ]
Feature: Movement 2 (Space Travel) [ 4 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 5
Parry: (10) Base 4
Fortitude: (10) Base 5
Toughness: (5/10) ——
Will: (10) Base 6

WORKSHEET
Attack: 10 Effect: 4 Total: 14 (Unarmed)
Attack: 15 Effect: 5 Total: 20 (Ray Gun)
Dodge: 10 Tough.: 5/10 Total: 15/20
Parry: 10 Tough.: 5/10 Total: 15/20
Fort.: 10 Will: 10 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 80 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 20 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 30 pp ] +
POWERS [ 0 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 20 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Fame: Flash Gordon maintains no secret identity and is fairly well-known to the public on several planets.

Motivation (Savior of the Universe): Flash is a man of strong personal honor, driven to help the helpless and defend the defensless.

Responsibility (Dale Arden, Hans Zarkov, etc.): Flash has many close friends and allies, he's willing to risk his life to save them from any harm.

Enemy (Ming the Merciless): Flash Gordon has faced many foes, but none are as fearsome as the terrible Ming the Merciless.

BACKGROUND
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Height: 6'4" (1.93 m)
Weight: 198 lb (90 kg)
Identity: Public
Relationships: Dale Arden (love interest)
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.

BUILD NOTES
Ruggedly handsome, bright, and extremely athletic, the blonde-haired Earthman known as Flash Gordon is now the face of resistance for the free people of Mongo. A summa cum laude graduate of Yale University and a multiple trophy-winning player of both polo and American football, Flash is a charismatic leader who many believe will eventually defeat Ming the Merciless and give rise to a new, unified and free planet. Flash is an extremely fast learner. His experiences in the United States’ Army taught him how to operate a number of sophisticated weapons as well as drive and pilot a variety of war machines and vehicles.

Flash Gordon is an action-adventure franchise that began as a King Features Syndicate comic strip in 1934 before being adapted to pretty much every other other media humanity has ever devised, short of kabuki theatre and cave paintings. First was the 1935 radio show. Then the 1936 film serials starring Buster Crabbe, which was widely acclaimed and one of the most popular serials of its day. There were two animated series (one in the 1970s and another in the 1990s), and two live-action television series, in the 1950's and a 2000's.

But by far the best know to anyone today is the 1980 live-action movie adaptation, starring Sam J. Jones as Flash, Max von Sydow as Ming the Merciless, Topol as Dr Zarkov, Timothy Dalton as Prince Barin, Brian Blessed! as Prince Vultan, and the absolutely killer music by Queen. You probably have it stuck in your head as you read this. (Flash! Ahhh-aaah!) TV Tropes memorably sums up the movie as "pretty much exactly what would have happened if [the 1936 serials] had ten times the budget, big-name actors and better special effects, and the exact same script, down to Asian stereotyping and completely insane dialogue."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Flash is a fantastic example of why Pulp Heros can work in Movies, but fail miserably in Comics. Watching the Movie of ANY Pulp Hero, you start finding yourself wanting to read about him in Comics. When you get the Comics Adaptation and start exitedly reading it, you suddenly ask yourself Why it's so aweful. The awnser is fairly simple: Some thing's just don't transfer over well.

So are you gonna do The Defenders of The Earth? They actually gave the Phantom Vixen's powers for it. It was real neat...
Davies

Post by Davies »

The novelization of the movie states that, yes, "Flash" is his real first name. Personally, I favor the notion that it's a nickname, and that his real first name is Alex. I'm a sentimentalist.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

So are you gonna do The Defenders of The Earth? They actually gave the Phantom Vixen's powers for it. It was real neat...
I plan to do Mandrake and Lothar, the two remaining main members of the The Defenders of the Earth team. But I never watched the show. I was five years old when it aired and I don’t think it ever popped up in reruns. I’m basically just doing these as fairly straightforward adaptations of their general characterization... Not tied to any specific comic strip, cartoon, or film.
Flash is a fantastic example of why Pulp Heros can work in Movies, but fail miserably in Comics. Watching the Movie of ANY Pulp Hero, you start finding yourself wanting to read about him in Comics. When you get the Comics Adaptation and start exitedly reading it, you suddenly ask yourself Why it's so aweful. The awnser is fairly simple: Some thing's just don't transfer over well.
I think that’s only true in America. The Phantom is huge in several overseas markets: Since the 1940’s there’s been Fantomen in Sweden, Mustanaamio in Finland, Fantomet in Denmark and Norway; Thanks to its 1936 debut in Australia, The Phantom is the second longest-running, continuously in print comic book in the world, only Action Comics and Superman beats it. It’s still Australia and New Zealandms bestselling comic book; Indrajal Comics has been publishing the Phantom in India since the 1950s and he’s hugely popular there; In the 1940’s the books worked their way into Indonesia and Papua New Guinea where he’s become a religious icon of all things.

The Italian created Diabolik is a pulp style anti-hero that huge in Europe and barely known at all in the English-speaking world. Diabolical served as a major inspiration of Paperinik, the Italy-created superhero alter-ego for Donald Duck (yes, that Donal Duck) and stories featuring Paperinik have given birth to their own universe which is easily as big and complex as the DCU.

Zorro is pulp through and through, but he’s loved in Mexico and South America. El Zorro: La Espada y La Rosa was a Columbia telenovela from the mid-2000’s, it was Telemundo’s most successful series the year it aired as was resold and rebroadcast in pretty Spanish-speaking country on the planet. (Not bad for a character created by a Scottish-American guy from Chicago!)
Gilliam

Re: The Ghost Who Walks

Post by Gilliam »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 pm Image

THE PHANTOM
The Ghost Who Walks
Power Level 8 ( 180 PP)

Nicely done, I loved reading the Phantom when I was little. I probably stopped reading the stories round the time the twins were born but just wondering whatever happen to Rex?