Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

It's a kind of magic

Post by Batgirl III »

MANDRAKE THE MAGICIAN
King Features Syndicate Character
Power Level 8 ( 180 PP )

ABILITIES
Strength 0
Stamina 2
Agility 2
Dexterity 4
Fighting 3
Intellect 4
Awareness 5
Presence 5

SKILLS
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 5 (+8), Deception 5 (+10), Expertise [Magic] 8 (+12), Expertise [Performance] 13 (+18; Presense-based), Insight 7 (+12), Perception 7 (+12), Persuasion 13 (+18), Sleight of Hand 14 (+18), Stealth 6 (+10)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Artificer, Benefit [Fame, Wealth (2)], Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate [Persuasion], Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Ritualist, Startle

POWERS
Fighting Secrets of the Orient Damage 2 (Strength-based) [ 2 PP ]

Gesture Hypnotically (Mesmerism) Affliction 8 (Resist/Recover: Will; Condition: Dazed, Compelled, Controlled; Extras: Area [Visual Perception], Concentration, Cumulative, Selective, Subtle [1]; Flaws: Sense-Dependent [+0/rank]) [ 41 PP ]
AE: Gesture Hypnotically (Illusion) Illusion 8 (Extras: Selective, Subtle [1]; Flaws: Resistable [Will]) [ 1 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (12) Base 10
Parry: (10) Base 7
Fortitude: (4) Base 2
Toughness: (2/4) ——
Will: (10) Base 5

WORKSHEET
Attack: 8 Effect: 2 Total: 10 (Unarmed)
Attack: —— Effect: 8 Total: 8 (Mesmerism)
Attack: —— Effect: 8 Total: 8 (Illusuin)
Dodge: 10 Tough.: 2/4 Total: 12/14
Parry: 10 Tough.: 2/4 Total: 12/14
Fort.: 4 Will: 10 Total: 14

ABILITIES [ 50 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 46 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 16 pp ] +
POWERS [ 44 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 24 pp ] =
180 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation (Do Gooder): Mandrake has devoted his life to helping others.
Power Loss (Gestures Hypnotically): Mandrake must be able to move his hands in order to use his magic.

BACKGROUND
Mandrake the Magician was a syndicated newspaper comic strip, created by Lee Falk (before he created The Phantom). Mandrake began publication in June 1934. Falk handed the art duties to another illustrator early on in order to concentrate on The Phantom, but Falk continued as the strip's author until 1999!

Mandrake is a magician whose work is based on an unusually fast hypnotic technique. As noted in captions, when Mandrake "gestures hypnotically," his subjects see illusions, and Mandrake has used this technique against a variety of villains including gangsters, mad scientists, extraterrestrials, and characters from other dimensions. At various times in the comic strip, Mandrake also demonstrates other powers, including becoming invisible, shapeshifting, levitation, and teleporting... Which I'm chalking up to Power Stunts, Ritualist, and Artificer.

There are ongoing debates amongst pop culture historians and comic book nerds as to whether or not Mandrake the Magician can be considered comics' first costumed superhero or if that honor belongs to the Phantom. Mostly it seems to come down to divided opinion on whether or not a tuxedo, top hat, and evening cape constitute a "costume" or not. Regardless of your opinion on that, it's undeniable that there is a direct line from Mandrake the Magician to damn near every other magic-user to appear in comic books. DC Comics' Zatara began as a shameless alternate company equivalent and Zatanna is just a distaff counterpart of her father. There are dozens of others, all of varrying degree of remembrance today: Kardak the Mystic Magician, Ibis the Invincible, Sargon the Sorcerer, Mr. Mystic, Mysto, and the Magician Detective, and on and on and on. Marvel Comics' Doctor Strange might have ditched the top hat and tails, but he shares the same "journey to the Orient to learn the mystic secrets" origins... and early on he even sported an identical pencil thin moustache!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Sidious

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Mandrake)

Post by Sidious »

Love all these pulp heroes.
Especially loved the "Defenders of the Earth" cartoon that had them.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Man, I forget how much I love the Phantom, and then I see him again and remember. Not only is he the first costumed hero, he's the first legacy hero, a concept I've always loved. And "the Ghost Who Walks" is, to me, much more chilling than "the Dark Knight." He even let Bruce Wayne borrow his slitty little white eyes.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The Batman is definitely a direct descendant of the Phantom, the Shadow, and Zorro. Most every superhero is a descendant of the Phantom to one degree or another, but the line between the Ghost Who Walks and the Caped Crusader is a straight shot.

Fun bit of trivia, Lee Falk’s original design for the Phantom had him wearing a grey bodysuit and not the purple that would become his signature look. Falk was convinced by his editor and the printer that purple would be more dynamic on the page, so they went with it. Had they gone with the grey costume, Falk had planned to add another sobriquet to “The Ghost Who Walks” and “The Man Who Cannot Die.” He’d have been known as...

“The Grey Ghost!”
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:53 pm The Batman is definitely a direct descendant of the Phantom, the Shadow, and Zorro. Most every superhero is a descendant of the Phantom to one degree or another, but the line between the Ghost Who Walks and the Caped Crusader is a straight shot.

Fun bit of trivia, Lee Falk’s original design for the Phantom had him wearing a grey bodysuit and not the purple that would become his signature look. Falk was convinced by his editor and the printer that purple would be more dynamic on the page, so they went with it. Had they gone with the grey costume, Falk had planned to add another sobriquet to “The Ghost Who Walks” and “The Man Who Cannot Die.” He’d have been known as...

“The Grey Ghost!”
Hah, now that makes a certain character from the animated series an even more clever reference.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

LOTHAR
Power Level 8 ( 150 PP)

ABILITIES
Strength 4 (Lifting: 8; 6 Tons)
Stamina 4
Agility 3
Dexterity 3
Fighting 6
Intellect 2
Awareness 2
Presence 2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 12 (+16), Close Combat [Unarmed] 6 (+12), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise [Survival] 4 (+6), Insight 6 (+8), Intimidation 10 (+12), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 6 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 3 (+6), Stealth 5 (+8)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Assessment, All-Out Attack, Benefit [Prince of the Seven Nations (1), Wealth (2)], Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trip, Languages (3), Power Attack, Takedown (1)

POWERS
The Strongest Man in the World Enhanced Ability 4 (Strength +4; Flaws: Limited to Lifting); Feature 1 (In any contest or comparison of Strength, Lothar wins against anyone else with the same Strength Rank, rather than tie.) [ 5 PP ]
Nigh Invulnverable Immunity 30 (All effects resisted by Fortitude; Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect); Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious Toughness [5] [ 22 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 4
Parry: (8) Base 2
Fortitude: (8) Base 4
Toughness: (6/8) ——
Will: (8) Base 6

WORKSHEET
Attack: 12 Effect: 4 Total: 16 (Unarmed)
Dodge: 8 Tough.: 6/8 Total: 14/16
Parry: 8 Tough.: 6/8 Total: 14/16
Fort.: 8 Will: 8 Total: 16

ABILITIES [ 52 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 32 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 23 pp ] +
POWERS [ 27 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 16 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
Lothar is Mandrake's best friend and crimefighting companion, whom Mandrake first met during his travels in Africa. Lothar was the Prince of the Seven Nations, a mighty federation of jungle tribes but forbore becoming king to followed Mandrake on his world travels. Lothar is often referred to as "the strongest man in the world." Lothar is nearly invulnerable against any weapon forged by man, impervious to heat and cold, and possesses the stamina of a thousand men. He can easily lift an elephant by one hand!

One of the first African crimefighting heroes ever to appear in comics, Lothar's debut was in the inaugural Mandrake the Magician strip in 1934. In the beginning, Lothar spoke pidgin English and wore a fez, short pants, and a leopard skin. In one infamous 1935 strip, Lothar was even referred to as Mandrake's "giant black slave." However, within a decade or two, Lothar's characterization had changed dramatically spoke proper English (albeit with a distinct "tough guy" vernacular) and his clothing had changed to more modern attire, although he still favored shirts with leopard-skin patterns... but it was the Sixties, man. That was stylish.

I'm not really in a position to decide for anyone else if Lothar was a racist depiction of an African man or not. In my opinion, I don't think he was ever intended to be dismissive or derogatory of Africans or African-Americans... His very early art design bordered on the minstrelry, but not nearly to the extend of characters like Whitewash Jones or Steamboat -- and they all debuted years later! But soon enough, that design is set aside for a more standardized "tough guy" look. Still a bit cartoonish, but no more so that anyone else in the series. His dialog shifts from Stepin Fetchit patois to the sort of boisterous banter that wouldn't seem out of place coming from someone like Ben Grimm. In the stories, it's clear Mandrake regards Lothar as a partner, a confidante, and a close friend. I think the readers should too.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

You know, there's a part of me that wan't you to do the kid's from Defenders of the Earth. Then i think of this and change my mind.....
Last edited by MacynSnow on Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

PRINCE VALIANT
Power Level 6 ( 115 PP )

ABILITIES
Strength 3
Stamina 3
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 5
Intellect 2
Awareness 3
Presence 5

SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+5), Athletics 2 (+5), Close Combat [Archaic Weapons] 3 (+8), Deception 2 (+7), Expertise [Animal Handling] 4 (+6), Expertise [Chivalry] 4 (+6), Insight 5 (+8), Intimidation 2 (+5), Investigation 3 (+5), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+10), Ranged Combat [Archery] 6 (+8), Stealth 3 (+5), Treatment 3 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Attractive (1), Benefit [Prince of Thule (1), Wealth (1)], Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment (1), Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Inspire (2), Leadership, Minion [Arvak the Red Stallion (3)], Move-By Action, Luck (2), Power Attack, Takedown (1), Ultimate Effort [Will]

POWERS
The Singing Sword Damage 4 (Strength-Based; Extras: Improved Critical [2], Penetrating [4]) [ 10 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 5 EP )
Chainmail Protection 3 [ 3 EP ]
Shield Enhanced Ability 2 (Dodge +1, Parry +1) [ 2 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (5/6) Base 3
Parry: (5/6) Base 0
Fortitude: (6) Base 3
Toughness: (3/6) ——
Will: (6) Base 1

WORKSHEET
Attack: 5 Effect: 3 Total: 8 (Unarmed)
Attack: 8 Effect: 4 Total: 12 (The Singing Sword; Critical: 18-20)
Dodge: 5/6 Tough.: 3/6 Total: 8/12
Parry: 5/6 Tough.: 3/6 Total: 8/12
Fort.: 6 Will: 6 Total: 12

ABILITIES [ 50 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 25 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 23 pp ] +
POWERS [ 10 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 7 pp ] =
115 PP TOTAL

BUILD NOTES
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur, better known as simply Prince Valiant, is an comic strip created by Hal Foster in 1937. It is a truly epic creation that has told one continuous story for its entire history; the full stretch of which now totals more than 4,000 Sunday strips. One of Hal Foster's most famous fans was none other than His Royal Highness The Duke of Windsor (Edward VIII) who called it the "greatest contribution to English literature in the past hundred years" in a letter to foster... Look, I don't care who you are, when the (former) King of the United Kingdom is writing you fan-mail about your comic strip, that's some serious street cred. Foster's last drawn strip was in 1971, though he continued to do scripting until 1980. Thankfully the artists who took over for Foster continued to produce the strip in the same style as the originals.

The artwork for Prince Valiant can only be described in three words: God Damn Beautiful!

Valiant (or "Va"l) is a Nordic prince from Thule, on the coast of present-day Norway. Early in the story Valiant arrives at Camelot where he becomes friends with Sir Gawain and Sir Tristram. Earning the respect of King Arthur and Merlin, he becomes a Knight of the Round Table. On a Mediterranean island he meets the love of his life, Aleta, Queen of the Misty Isles, whom he later marries. He fights Atilla the Hun, matches wits with agents of the Byzantine Emperor, travels to Africa and the Americas, helps his father regain his lost throne of Thule... and a hundred other epic adventures.

The historical and mythological elements of Prince Valiant are intentionally anachronistic. The overall elements of the story place it in the Fifth Century CE, but there are light fantasy elements, like a "marsh monster" (that bears a strong resemblance to a plesiosaur), wizards and witches, and of course Val's travels to virtually every corner of the globe... Foster incorporates anachronistic elements like Viking longships, Muslim caliphates, technological advances not made before the Renaissance. The fortifications, dresses, armor and armament resemble the Thirteenth rather than the Fifth Century. But it's all in the service of an epic story and the art is So Damn Beautiful!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Valiant art should be placed in Art Galleries and Museums, it's SO.DURNED.PRETTY!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

There's a series of excellent collected editions published by Fantagraphics, with the art painstakingly reproduced from the original printer's proofs. Each volume in the series collects a full year's worth of strips and retails for about $35 USD, which is a pretty reasonable price for a 120-page full color hardback.

The problem is that the series has been in print since 1937... Just collecting Hal Fosters run as illustrator would mean collecting 35 of them!

One day, when the PowerBall finally breaks in my favor...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

That's why i save my money up untill i can get them 2-3 at a time....:D
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

While I'm familiar with a lot of Pulp characters, when it comes to the Kings Feature characters I only have some source familiarity with Flash Gordon, thanks to owning several collections of the original newspaper strip, the three film serials, the Filmation animated movie and the Filmation animated series, as well as Defenders of the Earth and some comics.

I know Mandrake, Lothar, the Phantom and Prince Valiant through mostly second hand sources, including some cartoons, comics and a lot of research. I really need to get some opinions on what are some of the best Phantom and Mandrake stories to read, because I'd really love to delve more into those characters.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The best version of the The Phantom, if you ask me, is in the original comic strip form. The best run on The Phantom comic strip, in my opinion, is the years when Sy Barry took over the art and Lee Falk was still handling the scripting.

So, roughly the early Sixties to the mid Nineties. The Singh Brotherhood pirates, stereotypical witch doctors, white slavers, and exploitative gold prospectors were all left by the wayside, replaced with much deeper stories that focused on politics, post-colonialism, and exploring the interpersonal relationships of the Phantom and his family/friends.

There are collected volumes of all these, readily available via Amazon, but it might be a lot more affordable to check with your local library.

Sadly, I don't really know much about Mandrake. I've read a handful of things with him in it and I've read a lot of essays and histories that talk about him... But I've never really been able to sit down with a big stack of Mandrake books and do a proper deep dive.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Mandrake is interesting because it's one of the rare cases of reverse power creep. In his initial appearances, he was distinctly more powerful, being able to pull incredible stunts, like resurrecting a mummy and so on. After a while, Falk probably realized that this would kill any interest in the character, so decided to make most of his powers based on hypnosis and illusions.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

His cape, cane, an various pieces of jewelry were also magical artifacts in the early decades... But were pretty much mundane by the Seventies.

Thankfully, Mutants & Masterminds allows for a really easy way to replicate little used powers or seldom seen magical doodads. Artificer, Ritualist, and if need be Power Stunt. (There’s a reason Mandrake has Extraordinary Effort).