Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Black Widow! Yelena Belova! Red Guardians!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:07 am haha, found a great article on Marvel's notorious inker, Vinnie Colletta: https://www.newsfromme.com/2007/05/05/a ... -colletta/

It's by Mark Evanier, Kirby's assistant & biographer. Some great lines:

* Jack never thought Colletta did anything but poor work but he also believed that everyone has to make a living. He also felt that inking wasn't all that important. Even a bad inker — and Jack had many — usually retained the essentials of the storytelling, which is what Jack felt comics were all about. Being a Depression-era kid, he required a little urging before he felt at ease about taking away a source of income from someone else.

* Kirby got rid of him. Alex Toth and Neal Adams both demanded that he never darken their pencils again. (Adams took the one job of his Colletta inked and personally retouched about 80% of it without compensation.) That was just in the early seventies, at a time when artists rarely demanded such a thing…but what Vinnie did drove Jack, Alex and Neal to break precedent. And Jack, Alex and Neal were arguably the three best artists then working in comics. Steve Ditko and Gil Kane — who may well qualify as the rest of the Top Five — made similar demands.

* Since then, others have admitted that they would have barred Colletta from embellishing their work if they could have. Just on convention panels I've moderated, we heard that from Gene Colan, John Buscema, Bob Oksner and Marie Severin. At one panel I hosted, someone asked what tool Colletta inked with and instantly, John Romita (yet another great artist) piped up with "A whisk broom," and added that one of the perks of his position as Marvel's Art Director was that he could make certain his work was not inked by you-know-who. Joe Orlando, who was an editor at DC during the same period, told me the same thing. He'd been inked by Colletta before, back when he couldn't prevent it, and wasn't about to let it happen again. Carmine Infantino, another great artist, was then running DC. Infantino didn't pencil much during the period but what he did draw didn't go to Colletta for inking, either.

* And yes, Colletta could be a charming guy. No one's arguing that, either…but hey, I can be a charming guy and I'm not good enough to ink Jack Kirby, either, as I proved on a couple of occasions. Actually, another reason that Colletta is not well-liked within the industry is that he had a tendency to ingratiate himself with the top guy at the company and then to use that clout to put even less effort into his work. When Jim Shooter was ousted as Editor-in-Chief at Marvel in 1987, Colletta found himself simultaneously on the outs with the editorial staff and wrote an infamous open letter denouncing them for what he saw as their disloyalty to Shooter.
Comictrope made a video on Colletta a while ago.
The weird thing is that his first works as a penciler were insanely good.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
brothersale

Re: Red Guardian (Silver Age)

Post by brothersale »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:29 pm
RED GUARDIAN II (Alexei Alanovich Shostakov, aka Ronin II)

Shouldn't that be Ronin III as Ronin I was mentioned as the first leader of the Dark Ocean Society from WWII (a realworld organisation that operated in WWII, also known as the Black Ocean Society/Gen'yōsha - dispanded in realife, not nice people as their disbandment led to many becoming Yakuza and influencing that criminal organisation's dealings with politicians). Ronin I's name and appearance have never been shown however, and i suspect marvel just won't for fear of any racial antagonism, but it is worth mentioning as the reference occurs in the issues where Alexei is acting as the Ronin and part of the plot as it is the reason the Dark Ocean Society wanted hawkeye dead for dishonouring Ronin I in their eyes.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Black Widow! Red Guardians! Vanguard!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I think Jab's said that backstory/unseen guys like that don't really "count" towards the numbers.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pm Then there was that one time the team was government funded, but the writer had a big X-Files/M.I.B. love that turned the book into this kind of political thriller about how untrustworthy the organization they worked for was.

But yeah, I definitely see your point there. A sad thing was that John Byrne (who I believe is Canadian himself) created the team but had no interest in them, complaining that they were all stereotypes . . . when he was the one that created them, and their being blank slates gave him all the freedom he needed to make them interesting. Instead of taking the chance to give a Canadian's perspective on a Canadian superteam and what that might mean, he basically doomed them to never have a clear purpose, to the point that their team name got co-opted by Carol Danvers in her new space force.
While, I still think Byrne is a great author, he also have a tendency of shifting the blame to others and holding grudges that is nothing short of astonishing. According to some sources, Byrne was pissed that some of his original ideas for Alpha Flight were rejected by the higher-ups at Marvel (in particular Jim Shooter), so he left the title without providing much explanations to the authors that followed.
The most absurd thing is that he seem to get equally angry with people following his ideas (like Northstar being homosexual, something that Shooter would have never allowed) and with those going off on a tangent (i.e. Puck being cursed, rather than an actual dwarf).
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Darkstar

Post by Jabroniville »

DARKSTAR I (Laynia Petrovna)
Created By:
Tony Isabella & George Tuska
First Appearance: The Champions #7 (Aug. 1976)
Role: Hot Russian Babe, Soviet Defector, Green Lantern-Type
Country of Origin: Belarus (formerly Russia/The Soviet Union
Group Affiliations: The Champions, The Winter Guard
PL 10 (160)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+10)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Russian Agent) 5 (+7)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Attack (Darkforce) 4 (+10)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Costume), Improved Critical (Darkforce), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Concealment), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Darkforce Control"
"Black Hand" Snare 10 (Feats: Dynamic, Reversible) Linked to Blast 7 (46) -- [59]
  • Dynamic AE: "Blinding Tendrils" Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered, Vulnerable & Impaired/Defenseless, Immobile & Disabled/Visually Unaware) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition +2) (Flaws: Limited to Visuals) (30)
  • Dynamic AE: "Black Blast" Blast 10 (Feats: Precise) (22)
  • Dynamic AE: "Improved Field" Force Field 4 (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Impervious 8, Affects Others 8) (26)
  • Dynamic AE: "Black Objects" Create 10 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Movable) (32)
  • Dynamic AE: "Black Cloud" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Attack, Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Selective) (13)
  • AE: Teleport 7 (Feats: Increased Mass 3- 400 lbs.) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (Flaws: Distracting) (24)
  • AE: "Wide Blast" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (18)
  • AE: "Blast-Ram" Damage 10 (Extras: 30ft. Line) (20)
Force Field 4 [4]
Flight 7 (240 mph) [14]

Equipment:
"Darkstar Costume"
Immunity 1 (Cold) (1)
Communications (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Black Hand +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+7 Field, +11 Full Field), Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Russian Agent)- Though Laynia once defected, she currently serves the Winter Guard again.
Relationship (Iceman)- They kinda almost hooked-up, but Laynia always saw him as more of a friend until it was too late.
Relationship (Brother, Father)- Darkstar is devoted to her jerk of a brother Vanguard, and still honors her father, now known as The Presence.
Responsibility (Darkforce)- The Darkforce is a cold, unfeeling power source, and Laynia may often struggle against it- using her will against it's own.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 77 / Defenses: 13 (160)

Darkstar- Russia's Pre-Eminent Defender:
-Darkstar's unusual in that she's a foreign hero who actually got a small but protracted push from Marvel, mainly due to her link to The Champions, an honest attempt at making a team out of the most bizarre possible combination (Hercules, Angel, Ice-Man, GHOST RIDER, and Black Widow?). She joined the team after realizing her fellow Russians were truly evil (like every other Russian hero eventually did), stuck around for a while, then moved back to Russia by the time the series ended, where she basically stayed forever. There was a "will they/won't they" thing with Iceman that never went anywhere (the book was cancelled too quickly for it to pan out- all that was established was that Iceman was crushing on her hard), and she hung around with the losers of the Soviet Super-Soldiers and Winter Guard hanging around her neck like an anvil- SHE was a good character, but most of the others were one-note (if that).

-She appeared briefly in Contest of Champions, then did some stuff in Iron Man's book along with her brother Vanguard, and the Russian bear-man Ursa Major. She & Vanguard learned that the vastly-powerful Presence was in fact their FATHER, then allied with Rom and the Spaceknights against the Dire Wraiths. She and the Russians fought the X-Men & Avengers for custody of Magneto, but ultimately turned on Crimson Dynamo when they discovered that he had been manipulating events. She spent most of the '90s in Comic Book Limbo, leaving the Soviets (and nearly getting killed by the People's Protectorate), then re-joining them when they became the Winter Guard (for example, the three original Soviets aren't there on the Protectorate during The Crossing Line)- when her brother dies, she tries to kill the man who led the mission that killed him- Quasar (who fakes his demise to cover his leaving Earth).

Darkstar Dies & Returns:
-She was eventually killed in a very casual manner in an agonizingly boring X-Men story, where she joins the X-Corporation of disparate Mutants in various parts of the globe (an attempt to centralize all of the X-Characters who'd gone into Comic Book Limbo over the years), and is taken over by Weapon XII- Fantomex has to kill her. Much like her brother Vanguard, she didn't stay dead for long- at Marvel, even MINOR characters get resurrections from pointless deaths!

-She got resurrected almost as quickly as she was killed in the three-part Darkstar & The Winter Guard series, having replaced her SECOND replacement, who died in the process (Laynia's soul was residing within the amulet that empowered her replacements, and was able to take control of it when the second one died). Comics are weird sometimes. But hey, Darkstar's back! And she's... doing... nothing... again. Oh well. It's too bad that she gets so little use- she has a cool costume, a bitchin' codename, distinctive powers (essentially a Green Lantern/Darkforce User combo), a nice concept (Sexy Good-Natured Russian), and more. I think her links to lower-end concepts like Iceman, The Champions and the various Soviet super-teams is actually holding her back, as most of these little-used characters aren't really important, but seemingly ALWAYS have to be along for the ride whenever Laynia needs to do something. And so, as often as not, writers don't bother to use her.

Darkstar's Powers:
-An interesting power-set, Darkstar is basically using all of her powers Arrayed off of a massive Snare/Blast effect, which was powerful enough to hold back Sunfire for a fairly long time. That Linked set-up reflects the fact that it's Snaring AND Constricting foes. She's also got half-a-dozen side-powers, including a Force Field, various types of Blasts & Area Damage effects, a Darkness wave, and the ability to create objects out of the Darkforce itself. The Area Attacks & Teleport are not Dynamic (meaning she has to drop the full power of her Force Field to use them- a dangerous trick for someone who is otherwise much easier to hurt), but the rest is.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Black Widow! Red Guardians! Vanguard!)

Post by Goldar »

I always liked Laynia and she was the first Darkforce user I knew. However, her uses are so different from the others, which makes her unique and really interesting. I liked all 3 of her costumes. I didn't know about Darkstar using her powers to hold back Sunfire. That makes her more powerful than most realize.
Grenzer

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Black Widow! Red Guardians! Vanguard! Darkstar!)

Post by Grenzer »

Thanks for the positive responses on my last post. I will try to throw in a new profile everyday. Full disclaimer: I am not Russian, and while my knowledge of their media is pretty extensive, it is not exhaustive. I could very easily miss an important character or series and am open to corrections from anyone with additional knowledge.

On that note...

Erast Petrovich Fandorin: Created in 1998 by novelist Boris Akunin (one of the most widely read living authors in modern Russia), Fandorin is a master detective in the mold of Sherlock Holmes, melded with the style and themes of 19th century Russian literature by Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. He is easily one of the most popular and important literary characters created in post-Soviet Russia, and a number of his novels have been adapted into theatrical films and TV miniseries.

Fandorin is by birth a nobleman (although his family is poor) and a member of the Russian Imperial Police. He starts out as a rookie detective in the Moscow bureau but quickly becomes a member of the elite Third Section (the real life secret police department of the Russian Empire before 1881), and matures into one of the government's most reliable and respected detectives until he retires in his mid 30's and becomes a private investigator, very much in the model of Holmes. Holmes even shows up in one short story as a rival, both he and Fandorin trying to catch the infamous thief Arsene Lupin. Also like Holmes, Fandorin's career spans many decades and he ends up getting involved in just about every major event in that decades leading up to the Russian Revolution, and even beyond.

In terms of abilities, Fandorin is considered very similar to Holmes. A master detective, he can piece together even the most tangential bits of information to figure out the most complex mysteries. He is a master of disguise, learned ninjutsu when living in Japan, and is more than capable of holding his own in a fight whether it is with fists or swords or firearms. However, violence is something Fandorin abhors and considers the option of last resort. His luck is so incredible it borders on being a superpower, and it apparently is a family trait that skips every other generation. Also like Holmes, he is a rather vain man who is concerned about his appearance and reputation, but his better qualities always outshine his flaws and he is greatly admired among his small circle of loyal friends.

Unlike Holmes, Fandorin is far more openly emotional and keyed into the events of the world around him. He is not under any illusions that the Tsarist government he serves is good, but the detective also knows that the terrorists and criminals he regularly encounters are worst, and so stoically completes his duty for the sake of the national interest and the common rule of law. Fandorin is also somewhat of a ladies' man, but his grief over the murder of his first wife makes it difficult for him to build stable relationships. All in all he is the idealized image of an enlightened and cosmopolitan 19th-century Russian nobleman who uses his natural gifts to benefit the Fatherland in the face of entrenched corruption and general apathy towards a just society. This ideal is something that comes up in the profile of many heroic characters in Russian literature, and will be seen again in future posts.

Read more at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erast_Fandorin
Last edited by Grenzer on Wed May 20, 2020 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Red Guardian (Silver Age)

Post by Jabroniville »

brothersale wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:26 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:29 pm
RED GUARDIAN II (Alexei Alanovich Shostakov, aka Ronin II)

Shouldn't that be Ronin III as Ronin I was mentioned as the first leader of the Dark Ocean Society from WWII (a realworld organisation that operated in WWII, also known as the Black Ocean Society/Gen'yōsha - dispanded in realife, not nice people as their disbandment led to many becoming Yakuza and influencing that criminal organisation's dealings with politicians). Ronin I's name and appearance have never been shown however, and i suspect marvel just won't for fear of any racial antagonism, but it is worth mentioning as the reference occurs in the issues where Alexei is acting as the Ronin and part of the plot as it is the reason the Dark Ocean Society wanted hawkeye dead for dishonouring Ronin I in their eyes.
I didn't know about that guy at all. I never know how to count unknown guys- like technically there are dozens of Baron Zemos, you know?
brothersale

Post by brothersale »

Oh the Zemo's are easy, Helmut's 13th Baron Zemo, Heinrich being the 12th. Most of them have been documented and shown by marvel (1-13) and were generic nobles albeit patriotic ones, as many fought for their liege nation until the end of WWII. Herman the 11th baron is the first one that had to dealt superheroes however and that was during WWI where he fought against Union Jack

Its when you get to the Black Panthers that problems come up as we have no idea how many have come before, likewise with the Imortal Weapons (Iron Fist and co.) so its safe to go with a loose aproach with most. But like i said in this case the numbering is relivant to the plot of the storyline that Alexei was engaged at the time as Hawkeye was not the first Ronin and part of the revenge was because of it.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

yeah I have an issue with Avengers depicting humans during the first host of Celestials (unless I'm wrong and that's really the 2nd or third host) Not to mention they've labeled themselves what Avengers 1,000,000? shouldn't it be more like 500,000-250,000? And where in all that is Atlantis, Krull, Conan and the Hyborean age?

I'm still blaming Franklin. He can remake the universe but fails at his history lessons.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Sidious wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 pm yeah I have an issue with Avengers depicting humans during the first host of Celestials (unless I'm wrong and that's really the 2nd or third host) Not to mention they've labeled themselves what Avengers 1,000,000? shouldn't it be more like 500,000-250,000? And where in all that is Atlantis, Krull, Conan and the Hyborean age?

I'm still blaming Franklin. He can remake the universe but fails at his history lessons.
I agree, while the idea of prehistoric hero team is fine, stating that they exist a million years ago is just ridiculous, it makes no sense. Even if we ignore the fact that humans didn't exist that far back it doesn't even track with the established history and origins of some of the characters involved (Iron Fist, Black Panther, Odin etc.)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:42 am At some point I'll probably do an Image Comics set- I mentioned on the Discord that I'll have categories like "Marvel Character Most Ripped-Off" to make up for my lack of real information about many characters :).
Just catching up (and loving these Russian builds a lot): I'm happy to hear there may be an Image series after all. And what is this Discord of which you speak? Do you have your own channel?
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

drkrash wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:18 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:42 am At some point I'll probably do an Image Comics set- I mentioned on the Discord that I'll have categories like "Marvel Character Most Ripped-Off" to make up for my lack of real information about many characters :).
Just catching up (and loving these Russian builds a lot): I'm happy to hear there may be an Image series after all. And what is this Discord of which you speak? Do you have your own channel?
Echoes has a Discord channel.

https://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/v ... f=6&t=1628
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
brothersale

Post by brothersale »

Sidious wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 pm yeah I have an issue with Avengers depicting humans during the first host of Celestials (unless I'm wrong and that's really the 2nd or third host) Not to mention they've labeled themselves what Avengers 1,000,000? shouldn't it be more like 500,000-250,000? And where in all that is Atlantis, Krull, Conan and the Hyborean age?

Ah that comes from two problems, the first is that the when they were created by Kirby, the Celestials, Deviants and Eternals were never intended to be in the main marvel universe, but in their own universe (little backstory he first tried the same idea when he created the New Gods for DC but the series closed and he returned to Marvel where he tried again with the Eternals). However the editors at marvel never saw the distintiction and just began operating as if they in the same universe, resulting in glaring issues such as the Eternals siting on their asses all the time in global destruction events because "reasons".

The second has to do with the licence for Conan, Krull etc. which marvel had initially, then it allowed to lapse. While they were able to incorporate it in at the time they lost the ability latter after the licence was lost, meaning they could say the Hyborean Age only in the the terms of the OHOTMU. They have only just got the licence back, and marvel has learnt that if the licence expires you best make sure those licenced characters are not something that can be seen in events or other things. Frankly i'm surprised that conan is still in Savage Avengers and did not get sent back to his own time ASAP as they wont be selling trade of it when the licence goes

Still not my problem

[Rant mode on] However i do hold that some comic writers & editors are some of the laziest people out there given this day and age, and just don't even bother running a simply google search to check that what they are saying makes sense. Case and point the Builders invasion in the Infinity Event: The Builders invasion is making a beeline for earth, so how do they proceed well they decide that they are going to go through the Andromeda Galaxy (Skull empire), then Shi'ar galaxy (Shi'ar Empire & Spartax Empire), then to the Greater Magellanic Cloud (Kree Empire) only to then decide to head to the other side of the Milky Way to make a go at a planet on the other side close to the rim. truely masterminds, realistical the writer Hickman just used the big names that people recognise and did not look to see if it made sense (in case anyone is interested the Milky Way is very light in the way of space nations in marvel universe, the only one of note is the Badoons, pretty much any other power is from the aformentioned other galaxies) [rant mode off]
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

M4C8 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:31 pm

I agree, while the idea of prehistoric hero team is fine, stating that they exist a million years ago is just ridiculous, it makes no sense. Even if we ignore the fact that humans didn't exist that far back it doesn't even track with the established history and origins of some of the characters involved (Iron Fist, Black Panther, Odin etc.)
As Jason Aaron's Thor run should demonstrate, he's never let things like characterization, continuity, the mythos of a character, the fans or just making sense get in the way of telling precisely the story he wants to tell. Usually with a healthy dosage of putting fan comments in the mouths of bad guys.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.