Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
marcoasalazarm

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Hawkeye Builds! Crossfire! Mockingbird!)

Post by marcoasalazarm »

Ares wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:49 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:20 am
marcoasalazarm wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:04 am

Wait a second, where did that come from?
Ares does edits of superhero costumes. He shared that one on the Echoes Discord recently :).
marcoasalazarm wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:19 am Need a link to that one. An invite. Man, you just made me so much more interested that my sleep just went away.
Glad you found the way to our Discord! And if you're curious, I've got two edit threads on the board.

One based on Ronnie Thunderbolt's art: https://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/v ... 999#p17999

And one that's just various edits: https://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/v ... 95#p106995
I wish to make clear that these are awsome links and I thank you for sharing them.
Jabroniville

“I came from Hell”

Post by Jabroniville »

KAZIMIERZ KAZIMIERCZAK
Created By:
Matt Fraction & David Aja
First Appearance: Hawkeye #9 (June 2013)
Role: Killer Assassin
PL 9 (136)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Assassin) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Business) 4 (+7)
Insight 5 (+8)
Investigation 7 (+10)
Perception 7 (+10)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+10)
Stealth 7 (+11)
Vehicles 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit ("A Shadow" Cipher), Daze (Deception), Equipment 3 (Silenced Pistol- Subtle, Trick Pistol Hidden in Sleeve- Can Pop Out One-Handed), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Pistol), Luck 2, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 7

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Guns +13 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Killing)- Having list everything and everyone to a brutal world, Kazi has gone mad, and kills for its own sake. The money is a plus.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (136)

-This clown-facepaint-wearing guy was an assassin hired by the Tracksuit Draculas to kill Hawkeye in Matt Fraction's series. With a stylish cool outside of the job, he flirted with Kate Bishop, then did the "say something cool, then leave" thing that a lot of "Seduction Community" types do (watch The Tao of Steve for a full story on it), but Kate immediately called him out on it, saying "You don't get to do your 'Joe, Cool-Guy' Exit". But suggesting "I come from Hell", he cruelly executed the nice, addled-brained guy who had befriended "Hawkguy", then stalked our heroes until he made his final move. A later issue shows his depressing backstory- his parents are killed in a political thing in Eastern Europe, and the Tracksuits save him and his brother. Unfortunately, while they're performing on the streets to make money, his brother is killed by an errant weapon of war- this pretty well breaks Kazi, turning him into an emotionless killer, enjoying only death. Now a total cipher because of the political conflict, he is hired by the Tracksuits as their elite killer.

-Unfortunately for him, Kate had by that point returned to New York after a tiff with Clint, and the two Hawkeyes were able to beat him. He pulled out a sneaky trick with a gun hidden in the sleeve of his suit, putting a bullet through Clint's shoulder, and he nearly killed Kate when she arrived... but then, after issues previous showing a frustrated Kate dressing Clint using "collar stays" to help his collar stay in place, and Barney Barton telling his little brother about available weapons, Clint fires a collar stay into Kazi's eye, disabling him and then delivering an ass-whupping.

-I figure this guy for a smart, capable assassin, able to defeat an Avenger with some luck and foresight. His hidden gun is a nasty trick to pull on a character, and in real life, as it leaves them way open, and he also benefits from being totally unknown.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Hawkeye, Bro! Mockingbird, Bro! Bro the Bros, bro!)

Post by greycrusader »

I always rather liked Mockingbird, mainly because I think that Hawkeye mini-series way back when is a minor, hidden gem of comics. It featured so much of what makes Clint a wonderful character, and did a marvelous job of essentially introducing Bobbi Morse in her new role and successfully selling her as Hawkeye's partner in crimefighting and in life. Breaking them up was a major mistake, even if it did lead to one of Hawkeye's other best runs, as the leader of the Thunderbolts, where he again shone-both a cocky rule-breaker AND a mature, empathetic leader, doing right by this team.

It's always risky to revisit story lines which already imparted a bad odor to certain characters, and the Mockingbird/Phantom Rider arc is pretty widely agreed to fall into that category. I've had an idea in mind for the past decade which would let a lot of Marvel continuity be repaired while undoing a few of the worst character derailments which have occurred. And yes, it would be an "event", crossing over into several books, but it would also allow a lot to be hand-waved, so as to not remind readers yet again of every individual poorly-received idea.

And as a bonus, it would rid the MU of the Sentry.

All my best
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Hawkeye Builds! Crossfire! Mockingbird!)

Post by Ares »

marcoasalazarm wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:39 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:49 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:20 am
Ares does edits of superhero costumes. He shared that one on the Echoes Discord recently :).
marcoasalazarm wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:19 am Need a link to that one. An invite. Man, you just made me so much more interested that my sleep just went away.
Glad you found the way to our Discord! And if you're curious, I've got two edit threads on the board.

One based on Ronnie Thunderbolt's art: https://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/v ... 999#p17999

And one that's just various edits: https://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/v ... 95#p106995
I wish to make clear that these are awsome links and I thank you for sharing them.
My pleasure! Glad you're enjoying them.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:32 am I always rather liked Mockingbird, mainly because I think that Hawkeye mini-series way back when is a minor, hidden gem of comics. It featured so much of what makes Clint a wonderful character, and did a marvelous job of essentially introducing Bobbi Morse in her new role and successfully selling her as Hawkeye's partner in crimefighting and in life. Breaking them up was a major mistake, even if it did lead to one of Hawkeye's other best runs, as the leader of the Thunderbolts, where he again shone-both a cocky rule-breaker AND a mature, empathetic leader, doing right by this team.

It's always risky to revisit story lines which already imparted a bad odor to certain characters, and the Mockingbird/Phantom Rider arc is pretty widely agreed to fall into that category. I've had an idea in mind for the past decade which would let a lot of Marvel continuity be repaired while undoing a few of the worst character derailments which have occurred. And yes, it would be an "event", crossing over into several books, but it would also allow a lot to be hand-waved, so as to not remind readers yet again of every individual poorly-received idea.

And as a bonus, it would rid the MU of the Sentry.

All my best
haha I would just be an ass and let an unknown Elder of the Universe- The Editor- be responsible for the worst stuff. Have him try to derail all the characters and screw them all up, and finally the heroes win and his work is undone.

The problem, of course, is like Mark Gruenwald noted when he thought about killing off all those villains the Scourge of the Underworld knocked off- his killing them did NOTHING, because those characters already existed. Even wiping them out didn't REALLY wipe them out, you see- people could still remember them. So even the worst story arc can't really be "Fixed" because people both remember the early story, and know that someone tried to "fix" it, and even then, the fix tends to just make things more complicated, and Marvel's colossal continuity is becoming more and more of a problem.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:32 amIt's always risky to revisit story lines which already imparted a bad odor to certain characters, and the Mockingbird/Phantom Rider arc is pretty widely agreed to fall into that category.
I can see that: For every ultimate clone saga you have a dozen "hey do you remember that time Hank Pym hit Janet" stories.
Jabroniville

Imus Champion

Post by Jabroniville »

IMUS CHAMPION
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Don Heck
First Appearance: The Avengers #109 (March 1973)
Role: Corrupt Businessman
Group Affiliations: None
PL 10 (146)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Business) 10 (+14)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+9, +10 Size)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Archery) 4 (+11)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 5 (Billionaire), Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Assorted Gear), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 7, Takedown 2, Ultimate Strength Check

Powers:
"Naturally Huge Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
"Raw Strength" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +7, Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Greed, Power, Attaining Skills)- Champion is a greedy S.O.B., but he also desires power, the respect that comes with it, and his own natural ability to be a Polymath in various skill-sets.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 27 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 15 (146)

-Imus Champion is a super-giant dude. I mean it- he's a full nine freaking feet tall, and he's HUMAN. It's a ludicrous concept... until you realize that the human peak in height WAS 8'11". And like Robert Wadlow (the unfortunate sufferer of gigantism who still holds the world record), Imus Champion wasn't going to have the longest life... but unlike Wadlow, he decided to do something comic-booky with it. He decided to work out constantly (while also building a business empire and learning tons of stuff... because in comics, learning stuff only takes you a weekend, tops- see Wayne, Bruce), building up his muscles to the point where he COULD walk around like a normal person, and not suffer the bone-breaking effects of the Cubed-Square Law on tall people. That's actually a pretty cool and unique story concept... except the guy's been kinda mis-used over time.

-Steve Englehart's debut of the character was ridiculously over-blown (an asinine, over-complicated villain scheme that somehow required him to learn archery from Hawkeye), and he languished in obscurity for years. He returned once in a big Squadron Supreme/Avengers cross-over where he used a ridiculously-huge collection of super-weapons (The Wizard's Gloves and even the Wand of Watoomb) to defeat ALL of them (from Thor to Hyperion to Hawkeye!), and they used the heroes' trademark "Think Outside the Box" approach, with Firestar getting a freaking ANT to go talk to Hank Pym, who saved the day. He reappeared again in a semi-recent Black Widow issue as a standard Kingpin stand-in ("Huge Crimeboss"), and actually lost to her in a straight-up fight, but only barely. A very under-utilized character, but really, his Giant Guy Who Is Also Rich and Smart is KIND OF covered by Wilson Fisk already... I just find the idea of actual normal human beings who are enormous and are thus physical threats to be cool.

-Imus Champion is statted up without his gear from that one-shot, since that would be insanely overwhelming (he was likely a PL 14 guy with all that gear on him!), but even THEN he's frightening for a "Street Level" human- a PL 9.5 MONSTER who hits like a ton of bricks. He's doing a full +7 damage with his unarmed attacks (WAY beyond the limits of any normal human- even Wilson Fisk and Captain America can't punch that hard, despite them both being "Peak Human"), and he's been shown stopping an AIRPLANE by grabbing the wheel (granted, that's his BIGGEST strength-feat, as the rest of the time he can hit Black Widow a dozen times without killing her).

IMUS CHAMPION- Empowered By Gear
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Don Heck
First Appearance: The Avengers #109 (March 1973)
Role: Corrupt Businessman
Group Affiliations: None
PL 13 (193)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Business) 10 (+14)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+9, +10 Size)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Archery) 4 (+11)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 5 (Billionaire), Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Assorted Gear), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 8, Takedown 2, Ultimate Strength Check

Powers:
"Naturally Huge Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
"Raw Strength" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

"Assorted Villainous Paraphernalia" (Flaws: Removable) [46]
"Electro-Magnetic Pulse" Nullify Electronic Powers 15 (Extras: Broad, Simultaneous) (45) -- (57 points)
  • AE: "Eternal Brain Mine" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (30)
  • AE: "Fast-Forming Plastic" Snare 10 (30)
  • AE: "The Wand of Watoomb" Deflect 10 (Extras: Reflect) (20)
  • AE: "The Wizard's Wonder Gloves" Electrical Blast 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (21)
  • AE: "Wonder Gloves- Directed Gravitational Fields" Enhanced Strength 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (19)
  • AE: "Anti-Gravity Discs" Flight 6 (120 mph) (Extras: Affects Others) (18)
  • AE: "Gravity Control" Move Object 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Away or Towards Earth) (30)
  • AE: "Gravitic Force" Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered/Prone/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Concentration) (Flaws: Instant Recovery) (30)
  • AE: Move Object 5 (10)
  • AE: "The Staff of Seth" Blast 18 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (44)
  • AE: "Zodiac Star-Blaster" Blast 12 (Feats: Variable- Ultraviolet Energy) (25)
  • AE: "Narcotic Gas" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Exhausted/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud) (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Plastic Snare/Brain Mine +7 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Narcotic Gas +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Wonder Gloves +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Star Blaster +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Staff of Seth +8 (+18 Ranged Damage, DC 33)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +7, Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Greed, Power, Attaining Skills)- Champion is a greedy S.O.B., but he also desires power, the respect that comes with it, and his own natural ability to be a Polymath in various skill-sets.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 28 / Powers: 55 / Defenses: 15 (193)

-Here's Champion with the full array of insane weapons he used against the combined forces of the Avengers & Squadron Supreme, picking them off in groups of two. Much of the gear came from the Wizard (in a brilliant move, he simply paid the man to get some sized-up gear, rather than trying to steal them), but there's also the high-powered Wand of Watoomb & Staff of Seth (he could only use one power from either, though), a Star-Blaster, and some other quirky tech. This renders him a BEAST in combat, especially with the Staff.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Heh, Imus Champion is such a ridiculous example of comic-book tropes (being able to "train" your way out of a genetic disease, a 9 foot tall ultra-rich businessman who was somehow totally unknown to the public, mastering Hawkeye's archery skills in no time), but he also kind of works as a subversion. Since he's really, really rich, he just pays other super-villains to design weapons and gadgets for him, because why bother researching or inventing stuff that other super-crooks are already using? And if they emphasize the guy is almost certainly going to die before reaching 50, then the whole thrill-seeking and "proving himself" behavior at least has a veneer of sense. The big problem is his look, which varies between generic bearded big-guy or utterly goofball wannabe master villain. And the obvious question of why he isn't researching actual medical solutions to his condition.

saint_matthew wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:39 am
greycrusader wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:32 amIt's always risky to revisit story lines which already imparted a bad odor to certain characters, and the Mockingbird/Phantom Rider arc is pretty widely agreed to fall into that category.
I can see that: For every ultimate clone saga you have a dozen "hey do you remember that time Hank Pym hit Janet" stories.
Yeah, the problem is trying to "fix" those stories just reintroduces them to readers all over again; writers never let it go with Pym, just about ruining an otherwise minor but serviceable hero. Minor league characters cannot afford getting that kind of bad odor on them, so sometimes the best way to move forward is just by ignoring what tainted them in the past and just moving on.

All my best.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 am haha I would just be an ass and let an unknown Elder of the Universe- The Editor- be responsible for the worst stuff. Have him try to derail all the characters and screw them all up, and finally the heroes win and his work is undone.
For my MU-based campaign, I had it all be a consequence of Franklin Richards trying to make the heroes "more badass." With Franklin's understanding of what badass is. He finally got a talking to, and put it back.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Spectrum

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Hawkeye! Mockingbird! The Tracksuit Bros! Imus Champion!)

Post by Spectrum »

It's striking me as strange that several of the Hawkeye characters look like they would be right at home in a Punisher comic.

Is Hawkeye really that street level?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:20 pm It's striking me as strange that several of the Hawkeye characters look like they would be right at home in a Punisher comic.

Is Hawkeye really that street level?
Most people consider him to be that based on the fact that he's "only human".
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

James Bond, Remo Williams, Ethan Hunt and xXx are also 'only human'.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Batman is also 'only human'.. or maybe a Batgod.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:11 pm James Bond, Remo Williams, Ethan Hunt and xXx are also 'only human'.
Just to nitpick on Reno - in the early books? Totally street level. I'd say he graduated to kung-fu hero when he could outrun bullets.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Shock

Post by Shock »

At the expense of possibly derailing the thread, I personally think unpowered humans get too much push against powered opponents. I'd never give Batman a chance in a straight up fight against a moderately experienced powered opponent. He just can't dish out the damage to keep up with super powers. The same goes for the Hawkeye/Punisher class of heroes.