Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Trevor Barnes

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:19 am Image

TREVOR BARNES
Created By:
Joe Kelly & Phil Jiminez
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #170 (July 2001)
Role: Temporary Love Interest
Group Affiliations: None

-This was such a weird bit. Trevor showed up in the Wonder Woman issue where Lois Lane interviewed Diana, conflicted about the various dichotomies at the heart of the character and her worldview. It was one of the better issues of Phil's run, though featured a bit of "Tell, Don't Show" with stuff about how Diana is "Hysterical" with jokes (we see a panel of them laughing instead of Diana, who is usually extremely serious, actually saying anything funny). Part of the story featured Diana doing like 900 side-jobs and focusing on all the good she does in roles as mentor, with Lois narrating everything, until she's at the UN and suddenly runs off (Lois says she's like a "nervous schoolgirl" at this part) to go ask this handsome black dude with killer early-2000s hair out on a date. But then he's like "I'm afraid I'll have to say NO" with the most hilariously horrified reaction on Diana's face, as Lois goes "holy #@&%". It's not explained why he did this as they immediately switch scenes to Diana's gay coworkers at an AIDS fundraiser going "he's gay".

-Eventually, however, the two seem to date casually. Turns out Trevor's Mister Charity and runs all sorts of fundraisers. His initial rejection was I guess because he felt she was out of his league. The two end up in Skartaris for an arc, and decide to "remain friends", but then he's killed off by the next creative team because they had no plans for him. He's possessed by some ancient god and willingly dies to stop it. So this character gets this big introduction and he's dead within two years' time. Kind of a waste.
What a waste of a perfectly good supporting character. I might just 'borrow' him for my PALLADIUM UNLIMITED story and use him correctly.

What Trevor SHOULD'VE been used for was a "linchpin" NPC(an NPC shared by several heroes. I.E.;Lois Lane-Kent knows Gangbuster, Batman, Steel, Superboy, Alpha Centurion, Supergirl, The Guardian, The Rose, Vigilante 2(Adrian Chase)) for several other Heroes who worked that type of area. But the Writers were holding the "Stupid Ball" too long and got rid of him...
Jabroniville

Orana

Post by Jabroniville »

ORANA
Created By:
Jack C. Harris
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #250 (Dec. 1978)
Role: Replacement Wonder Woman
Group Affiliations: Paradise Island
PL 12 (100)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (History) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Mythology) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Military) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Treatment 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment 7 (Invisible Jet), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Spear or Sword), Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 2, Teamwork

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Flight 6 (Quirks: "Air Currents" So Maybe It Doesn't Always Work Right -1) [11]

"Magic Lasso" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [17]
"Single Snare" Affliction 16 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to One Target, Limited Degree, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 15 (26) -- (27 points)
  • AE: "Grab Multiples" Affliction 12 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Extras: Limited Degree, Limited to One Group of Targets, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 6 (29)
-- (30 points)

"Magic Bracelets" (Flaws: Removable) [22]
Deflect 12 (12)
Enhanced Dodge 2 (2)
Impervious Toughness 13 (Extras: Sustained +0) (13)
-- (27 points)

Equipment:
"Invisible Jet" (Gargantuan, ST 11, Flight 8- 500 mph, Defense -2, Toughness 11, Features- Navigation, Concealment Visuals 2) (34)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 25)
Magic Lasso +6 (+14-16 Ranged Affliction, DC 24-26)
Grab Multiples +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12 Bracelets, DC 20-22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Glory)- Orana is desperate for glory and attention. She demands respect and will throw tantrums if not given any.
Responsibility (Paradise Island)- Amazons are beholden to the laws of Themyscira- men are forbidden from setting foot there.
Power Loss (All Powers)- Amazons might lose Immortality or other powers if left off of Paradise Island for too long. Orana will lose her powers if her wrists are bound.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 10 (164)

-Before Artemis became a thing, we had ANOTHER beautiful redhead as a temporary Wonder Woman! Orana appears in 1978 (though another redheaded Amazon of the same name shows up once twenty years earlier just to ask a question of the Queen), issuing a challenge to Diana over the title of Wonder Woman. Diana protests, but Queen Hippolyta is all "um, no, this is totes in our rules", and so every Amazon joins a new contest. Diana & Orana easily defeat all of their opponents, Diana by skill and Orana by sheer ruthlessness- she is a brutal fighter who wins by any means necessary. On their final contest, a meteor race through space, Diana abandons the trial to save people when the race sends meteors crashing down to Earth- this allows Orana to win. However, Hippolyta rightfully points out these actions mark Diana as truly worthy, leading to her being declared the true winner.

-The Greek Gods, however, are like "Um, no, Orana won", and Diana stops her mother's protests and relinquishes the title to save her from the wrath of the Gods. Orana proclaims herself the NEW Wonder Woman as a result of her victory, and in a great "heel" move, pretty much acts like a huge shit the entire time she's in Man's World, demanding people respect her, fighting anyone who calls her an imposter, and screwing up a mission when she interprets a police officer as a threat. Diana follows her to Man's World and tries to act as Diana Prince again, pissing Orana off further, but the terrorist Warhead drops a bomb on New York- Diana saves the day and tries to dispose of the bomb, but an arrogant, argumentative Orana causes a big delay and is ultimately shot and killed by Warhead. A horrified, infuriated Diana throws the bomb at Warhead's chopper, destroying it and saving New York. Diana and the Amazons have a sorrowful funeral for their fallen sister, with the quick one-off story showing the age-old "only ONE PERSON can truly by _____" moral in comics. Orana never appears again. But the story seems to heavily inspire the "Artemis" story of the 1990s.

-Orana is effectively the Amazon Template, but she's a good enough fighter to trounce anyone but Diana in the 1970s. However, she is untrained with the weapons, hitting PL 12 only via the Lasso's Burst Area snare, and is PL 11 with the Ranged Snare- everything else about her is PL 9. She's also horribly vulnerable to bullets, like most Silver Age Amazons- a single burst from a machine gun kills her.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Dr. Cyber! Silver Swan I-III! Circe!)

Post by Davies »

I'm not convinced that William Messner-Loebs had read this story, but I have no proof one way or another. There's similarities, but really profound differences as well.

If I were going to rewrite this, I'd have drawn it out to about four issues instead of two. Issue one, Orana challenges and wins; issue two, she becomes Wonder Woman and starts screwing up; issue three, she has a confrontation with Diana that doesn't make either of them look all that good, but she makes some points about how Diana has been in the outer world for more than a decade and things are not improving; issue four, she starts to show signs of having learned something from all that's gone before, evidence that she could actually do the job -- right before she meets her fate, so that Diana's grief over her is more personal rather than general for a fallen Amazon. This makes it the inverse of the 'replacement guy' story, where the new hero usually starts out well but ends badly.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:11 am If I were going to rewrite this, I'd have drawn it out to about four issues instead of two. Issue one, Orana challenges and wins; issue two, she becomes Wonder Woman and starts screwing up; issue three, she has a confrontation with Diana that doesn't make either of them look all that good, but she makes some points about how Diana has been in the outer world for more than a decade and things are not improving; issue four, she starts to show signs of having learned something from all that's gone before, evidence that she could actually do the job -- right before she meets her fate, so that Diana's grief over her is more personal rather than general for a fallen Amazon. This makes it the inverse of the 'replacement guy' story, where the new hero usually starts out well but ends badly.
That's not a bad idea Davies, but I'll raise you one better:
Ten to twelve issues instead of your four. Basic premise is the same, but we add two minor WW villian's for Orana to fight before her death. Doesn't matter who, but i'm leaning towards Dr.Cyber and either Angle Man or a Silver Swan. She easily beats Swan(due to her ruthlessness, something Swan wasn't expecting) and get's a fuller head because of it. After the Diana confrontation, they both have to deal with Cyber(who's not stupid like Swan) which forces Orana to have some respect for Diana. Throughout all these issues, Diana's supporting cast get's more focus, as Orana has to deal with these outsiders being so...familiar with her. Same stuff still happens, but it show's more of Orana's character and gives the readership a chance to morne her death as well.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I find it interesting, yet also very fitting, that most everyone's ideas to "fix" every person in WW's cast is to essentially reinvent the wheel and toss out almost all the original stuff but for a few concepts. Which, ironically, is what all of Wonder Woman's WRITERS do, which is what we've complained about as being the reason why nobody in her Rogues Gallery has any staying power :). Like, it's pretty sad- the only way you can save so much of this stuff is to completely re-make it.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 am I find it interesting, yet also very fitting, that most everyone's ideas to "fix" every person in WW's cast is to essentially reinvent the wheel and toss out almost all the original stuff but for a few concepts. Which, ironically, is what all of Wonder Woman's WRITERS do, which is what we've complained about as being the reason why nobody in her Rogues Gallery has any staying power :). Like, it's pretty sad- the only way you can save so much of this stuff is to completely re-make it.
That's why it's called "Poetic Irony" Jab! :lol:
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 am I find it interesting, yet also very fitting, that most everyone's ideas to "fix" every person in WW's cast is to essentially reinvent the wheel and toss out almost all the original stuff but for a few concepts.
Sometimes, you can only get new growth after a forest fire.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Davies wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 am I find it interesting, yet also very fitting, that most everyone's ideas to "fix" every person in WW's cast is to essentially reinvent the wheel and toss out almost all the original stuff but for a few concepts.
Sometimes, you can only get new growth after a forest fire.
Problem is that I'm pretty sure this area has been burnt to the ground a few times already, so I'm not sure anything can be regrown from it.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
RainOnTheSun

Re: Decay

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:13 pm Image
Look at that face. That is the Green Goblin.

"Ares tells me you're quite the science whiz! You know, I'm something of a scientist myself."
Ken

Re: Orana

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:51 am -Orana is effectively the Amazon Template, but she's a good enough fighter to trounce anyone but Diana in the 1970s. However, she is untrained with the weapons, hitting PL 12 only via the Lasso's Burst Area snare, and is PL 11 with the Ranged Snare- everything else about her is PL 9. She's also horribly vulnerable to bullets, like most Silver Age Amazons- a single burst from a machine gun kills her.
All Silver Age Amazons, all Golden Age Amazons, and the vast majority of post-Crisis Amazons (other than Diana). I have no idea about Radium Age Amazons.

One of the biggest mistakes DC made with Wonder Woman was to decide that Diana must be almost-Superman level. By increasing her general invulnerability, they've made her iconic bracelets, and her predilection (since 1987) of wearing armour silly.

Trevor Barnes was a good character. He was written as someone who it made sense that Diana, the ambassador of peace, would be attracted. Too bad he was metaphorically stuffed in a refrigerator.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Artemis

Post by Jabroniville »

Artemis: When you wanna make an OC but don't want to do the work so you just trace Zealot from WildC.A.T.s.

ARTEMIS (aka Wonder Woman IV, Javelin, Requiem)
Created By:
William Messner-Loebs & Mike Deodato
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #90 (Sept. 1994)
Role: Replacement Wonder Woman, Zealot Rip-Off
Group Affiliations: The Amazons of Bana-Migdhall, The Hellenders
PL 12 (169)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 2 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+14)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Military) 10 (+12)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 7 (+10)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 2 (Spear/Sword +2, Bow & Arrow +4), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Spear or Sword) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 8, Set-Up, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Senses 1 (Magical Awareness) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Swords & Stuff +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Bow & Arrow +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +10, Fortitude +12, Will +9

Complications:
Responsibility (Paradise Island)- Amazons are beholden to the laws of Themyscira- men are forbidden from setting foot there.
Power Loss (All Powers)- Amazons might lose Immortality or other powers if left off of Paradise Island for too long.

Total: Abilities: 100 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 18 (169)

Artemis- '90s Bad Girl:
-Artemis occupies a rather weird zone in Wonder Woman's history, but is your typical story in comics: the Incapable Replacement Hero, who comes in, takes the main hero's role, struggles with it, and then gets threaded back into the world as a Supporting Cast Member. This list includes failed replacements (U.S. Agent, Azrael) and fairly worthy successors (War Machine, Thunderstrike)- it's a pretty normal thing, and kind of expands the universe while also telling the age-old story of "not everyone is made for this; this hero is irreplaceable". Artemis is the classic sort- a more hot-headed, aggressive version of the original hero- they even threw in a clever naming convention, as both her & Diana were named for the Huntress Goddess of Olympian Mythology. Though this makes things hella-confusing in the comics, as Artemis IS a real Greek Goddess in that universe, too, and she gets involved in the same book at times.

-Artemis hails from Bana-Mighdall, the side-group of Amazons lacking immortality. This sets them all up as immediate rivals to the Amazons of Themyscira, with Artemis being opposed to Diana directly. She was also given an uber-babe design by a rookie artist Mike Deodato, who did his best "bendy-spine" art and made her a grumpy, grimacing sexpot, which was the style at the times. She was very noticeably a rip-off of WildC.A.T.s's Zealot, too- the huge ponytail and skimpy swimsuit-armor look was a deady giveaway. Her backstory includes being raised in poverty, and allying with Ra's al-Ghul as a pre-teen mercenary, which led her to lose a close fight with Batman. She was with the Bana-Mighdall Amazons who ended up stuck in a demonic dimension with the Themyscirans, and they made a truce as a result of the ten-year span (their time; little time passed for the outside world).

Artemis as Wonder Woman:
-Here, Artemis's purpose in the plot was revealed- Queen Hippolyta foresaw the death of Wonder Woman, and so conspired to have Diana stripped of the title. A new "Contest" for the title was held, and Artemis won thanks to Hippolyta's intervention. Using the Lasso of Truth and wearing the skimpiest version of the gear yet, Artemis was WW for only a short time. She rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, coming off as an aggressive grouch- her Justice League run was brief as well, and Donna Troy didn't like her either. She tried hard, but was just too hot-headed and arrogant- ultimately, this led to her demise, as the demon-powered White Magician fought both her and a street-clothed Diana, and Artemis was ultimately fatally wounded, confessing that Diana was the "true Wonder Woman" before dying in her arms. Queen Hippolyta's vision had come true... and then darkly came true a SECOND time, as Diana herself still died (but only temporarily).

-Artemis's soul went to a form of Hell, but she quickly became the bride to one of the "thirteen ruling Princes of Hell" and took power herself, killing the Prince and returning the world of the living as a result. She became a demon-hunting superhero at first with the Hellenders, taking the names Javelin & Requiem before bailing when that story got dropped. She became kind of a "Heroine Trainer" for a time, training both Cassie Sandsmark and Supergirl, then she's involved in the "Amazon Civil War" story arc that paints the Amazons in a bad light- she's one of the more level heads in the situation, and is named co-ruler (with former Captain of the guard Philippus) when Hippolyta steps down. She proves to be capable and fair, allowing others to commune with Themyscira (as she's one of the most worldly Amazons). Themyscira was left in another dimension for a year of peace, but when Hippolyta returned to lead the Amazons against the United States, she joined the invasion before both co-leaders realized something was up and the Queen was mad. She is temporarily imprisoned with other Amazons, but is sprung by the Secret Six.

Artemis as a Whole:
-Honestly... this character is kind of in a weird spot. She seems like she should be diametrically opposed to Wonder Woman, but that hasn't been the case for decades. She's more of a standard ally, and more level-headed than the hyper-aggressive Amazons usually are. So she's just kind of the most important Supporting Character in the WW book outside of the Amazonian Royal Family. It seems like a buttload of writers take over the book, have their plans for Diana & Hippolyta, and... are stuck on things to do for Artemis, because none of the things she's done since dying have been terribly interesting. I mean, she was a PRINCESS OF HELL and it's like "yeah, so Artemis is kind of the practical, worldly one here". I mean, I've read multiple stories featuring the character, and had no idea that was a thing.

The Powers of Artemis:
-Okay, showing my inadequacy of DC fandom here, because I was like "so she's like a normal Amazon, right?" but she's I guess super-strong thanks to a spell cast by Magala.

WONDER WOMAN IV (Artemis, aka Javelin, Requiem)
Created By:
William Messner-Loebs & Mike Deodato
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #90 (Sept. 1994)
Role: Replacement Wonder Woman, Zealot Rip-Off
Group Affiliations: The Amazons of Bana-Migdhall, The Hellenders
PL 13 (179)
STRENGTH
6/16 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 2 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Military) 9 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment (Spear/Sword +2), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Spear or Sword) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 8, Set-Up, Startle

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

"The Gauntlet of Atlas" (Flaws: Removable) [24]
Enhanced Strength 8 (16)
Power-Lifting 5 (50,000 tons) (5)
Protection 8 (8)
-- (29 points)

"The Sandals of Hermes" (Flaws: Removable) [13]
Flight 8 (500 mph) (16 points)

"Magic Lasso" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
"Grab Multiples" Affliction 14 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Extras: Limited Degree, Limited to One Group of Targets, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 15 (29) -- (30 points)
  • AE: "Single Snare" Affliction 16 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to One Target, Limited Degree, Compelled Limited to Telling the Truth) Linked to Ranged Strength 15 (26)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Gauntlet of Atlas +10 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Magic Lasso +12 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6 (+14 Gauntlet), Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- Amazons might lose Immortality or other powers if left off of Paradise Island for too long.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 14 (179)

-Here's Artemis as Wonder Woman in the mid 1990s- very powerful thanks to some gear that apparently got discarded otherwise WHY IS NO ONE ELSE USING IT, but not quite as good as Diana was. She's a bit less wise and skilled overall, as well.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Silver Swan I-III! Circe! Orana! Artemis!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

I believe the gear went to Cassie Sandsmark before she got powered- and hotted-up and forgot about it.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

The reason for her becoming WW is the basically the same as Red Norvell becoming Thor.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jack of Spades wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:23 pm I believe the gear went to Cassie Sandsmark before she got powered- and hotted-up and forgot about it.
And Hippolyta used the Gauntlet of Atlas for part of her time as Wonder Woman, too.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Re: Artemis' team-up with Ra's -- that comes from Matt Wagner's Trinity, where I strongly suspect that the author thought she was from Themyscria and an editor fixed it. Its status in continuity is confusing at best -- Batman has been fighting Ra's for years, but he's just taken in Dick Grayson? It's not a bad story, and its take on Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman learning to work together is great, but it has a fair number of weird bits like that.

Also you should probably add Zealot-ripoff to her role. I mean just look at her.