Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Grenzer

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Surfer! Terrax! Nova! Morg! Stardust!)

Post by Grenzer »

What's the over-under on how long a herald lasts before he turns on the Big G? Norrin apparently had a pretty good run, but the guys who came after him seem to go off the rails or die within a year tops. You would think Galactus would start to become a little more discriminating on giving out that groovy Power Cosmic of his after three or four missteps, but no he seems to be creating even more of these guys now. In a decade or two of real time publishing there will be enough of them to form a football team.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Just a note on Galactus' age -- while his origins lie in the previous universe, he hasn't been active for the entire history of the current one. His incubation period lasted long enough that intelligent life had developed and was fairly advanced by the time he woke up and started eating planets. I personally put the latter incident as happening around the same time that Krona committed his great crime, so on the order of five billion years ago, not thirteen. Still, that's more than enough time for him to have had a few other heralds before he came to Zenn-La.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Grenzer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:33 am What's the over-under on how long a herald lasts before he turns on the Big G? Norrin apparently had a pretty good run, but the guys who came after him seem to go off the rails or die within a year tops. You would think Galactus would start to become a little more discriminating on giving out that groovy Power Cosmic of his after three or four missteps, but no he seems to be creating even more of these guys now. In a decade or two of real time publishing there will be enough of them to form a football team.
I would bet CASH MONEY that the next writer to use Galactus just forgets this guy ever existed and uses someone completely new.
Jabroniville

Punisher Robots

Post by Jabroniville »

THE PUNISHER ROBOT
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #49 (April 1966)
Role: Robot Minion
Group Affiliations: Galactus' Employ
PL 11 (144)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Initiative 3, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 13 (Extras: Impervious 13) [26]
"Dig Into the Surface" Enhanced Strength 2 (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) [2]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [5]

Flight 10 (2,000 mph) (20) -- [21]
  • AE: Speed 8 (500 mph) (8)
Quickness 4 [4]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

Move Object 10 (20) -- [22]
  • AE: Force Field +2 (Extras: Affects Others 11, Ranged 11) (Flaws: Reduced Dodge & Parry 2) (18)
  • AE: "Spinning Fists" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 13) (13)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +15

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +13 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +0

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 112 / Defenses: 6 (144)

-The Punisher Robots have shown up from time to time as a sort of "Personal Distraction Crew" of Galactus. They fought the Fantastic Four for a bit, but the rather plain robot ("Half-robot, half-alive!", seeming like a mindless Cyborg) never really showed up that many times. A few later stories would also throw one (or an army) at someone to distract or otherwise deal with them, while Galactus did more important things. I figure them for PL 11 creatures (they can mess up the FF or Iron Man for a while), getting tougher but easier-to-hit with their Force Fields. Quite a bit more powerful than the usual Robot Minion, that's for sure- I would never use Minion Rules on the lot of them.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

I distinctively remember that the Punisher robot (or “a Punisher robot” as I think there was once a fleet of them) was once a member of the Frightful Four, having been discovered and reprogrammed by the Wizard. Apparently he also have it a massive power downgrade because they stopped it using Trapster’s glue.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I think that the touchstone that separates a good Herald from a bad one is how much that character can be a foil for Galactus himself.
Many authors implied or said out loud that the reason why Galactus accepted inherently noble characters like Surfer, Firelord, etc. as heralds was because he was looking for someone that could ground him and/or destroy him. This is a really interesting idea, because it adds to the pathos of the character, to the idea that before becoming a cosmic entity Galactus was a mortal and so still has some level of empathy and the need of a friend.
Terrax was an exception and a really interesting one at that, because it reinforced this idea that Galactus isn't completely devoid of compassion and he's aware of how the rest of the universe perceive him. Terrax should have been that line in the sand that even Galactus wouldn't dare to cross.
Nova was a nice move to tie the Big G closer to the rest of the universe and I actually think there was some actual story potential... but not as much as with some of the others. Still, it was nice to see a "happy" herald.
Morg... well that was the error. Aside from being just 90s Terrax it didn't add anything to the story, his interactions with Galactus were flat as a board.
Red Shift... was a filler at best.
The idea that Stardust was actually in love with Galactus. That's really one of those bits that I hate it was left aside. It was a completely unexplored concept and it really should have been developed more.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Tyrant

Post by Jabroniville »

What a truly awful villain design. No cohesive theme or anything- just a collection of STUFF on a featureless big guy.

TYRANT
Created By:
Ron Marz & Ron Lim
First Appearance: Silver Surfer #81 (June 1993)
Role: Cosmic Villain, Galactus Rival
PL 18 (515)
STRENGTH
22 STAMINA 22 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 16 AWARENESS 6 PRESENCE 6

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 9 (+25)
Expertise (Cosmic Lore) 4 (+20)
Expertise (Space Traveller) 6 (+22)
Intimidation 10 (+16, +20 Size)
Investigation 4 (+10)
Perception 6 (+12)
Persuasion 4 (+10)
Technology 9 (+25)
Vehicles 10 (+10)

Advantages:
Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 30 (Super-Spaceship), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Cosmic Blast), Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 12, Skill Mastery (Technology), Startle, Ultimate Science Skill, Ultimate Technology Skill, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Cosmically-Powered Living Machine"
Immunity 12 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep) [12]
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [13]
Flight 14 (32,000 mph) [28]
Movement 2 (Space Travel 2) [4]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 25) [27]

"Cosmic Mind"
Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) [8]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Space) [2]
Quickness 12 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [6]

"Huge Size" Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (24 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]

"Wields The Power Cosmic"
"Cosmic Wave" Damage 18 (Feats: Penetrating 10) (Extras: Area- 250ft. Cone +3) (82) -- [91]
  • AE: "Cosmic Stream" Damage 18 (Feats: Penetrating 10) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Line +3) (83)
  • AE: "Cosmic Burst" Damage 18 (Feats: Penetrating 10) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (83)
  • AE: Cosmic Blast 24 (Feats: Penetrating 12, Extended Range 6- x6,400 ft., Split) (68)
  • AE: Move Object 20 (Feats: Subtle, Precise) (Extras: Perception Range) (63)
  • AE: Teleport 16 (Feats: Increased Mass 10- 25 tons) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (74)
  • AE: "Destroy Worlds" Damage 26 (Extras: Affects Objects Only +0, Limited to Planets, Distracting) Linked to Weaken Toughness 26 (Flaws: Affects Objects Only +0, Limited to Planets, Distracting) (13)
  • AE: "Psionically-Control Machines" Affliction 23 (Tech Skill of Creator; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Affects Objects Only +0, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Limited to Machines) (46)
Summon Tech 15 (Extras: Heroic +2, Variable- Machines) (Flaws: Source- Requires Machine) [60]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+22 Damage, DC 37)
Cosmic Blast +12 (+24 Ranged Damage, DC 43)
Cosmic Waves +18 Area (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Destroy Worlds +8 (+26 Damage & Weaken, DC 41 & 36)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +24 (+13 Impervious), Fortitude +22, Will +17

Complications:
Weakness (Needs Containers of Energy)- Tyrant, like Galactus, has need of a great deal of energy. He often drains superhumans for this purpose, and if access to his containers is cut off, he slowly weakens.
Enemy (Galactus)- Tyrant was created by Galactus millennia ago, but turned out to be pretty evil, so Galactus fought and de-powered him. Tyrant now wants revenge.
Drawbacks (Losing Energy)- Galactus typically does not expend full energy, in order to better conserve his strength. It is uncommon for him to use full force on his Energy Blasts, and he especially almost never uses his Devour Worlds ability by himself- he generally uses his ship for such endeavors, as expending energy to harvest energy kind of defeats the purpose.

Total: Abilities: 126 / Skills: 66--33 / Advantages: 58 / Powers: 268 / Defenses: 30 (515)

-Tyrant is just a culmination of years of over-use of the exact same concepts in the Silver Surfer's cosmic world. Norrin ended up with a whole score of Heralds and other creations of Galactus to deal with, until he had to fight ANOTHER uber-cosmic guy- an ancient creation of Galactus with GRAND COSMIC POWER. Way too over-wrought, powerful and dull- Ron Lim had long since run out of cool designs, leaving this guy just a collection of generic "Cosmic Powerhouse" traits. Marvel's Cosmic Scene pretty much died with this one loser character in my opinion, as 1993 was around the times when comics started to falter. You can't blame the entire comics industry's failure on this one guy, but it sure is fun to try :).

-Tyrant was apparently an ancient creation of Galactus, formed eons ago, but he'd grown jealous of his master and rebelled. While Galactus consumed lives simply for the sake of survival, Tyrant was into war for war's sake, trying for conquest. There was an epic, galaxy-destroying battle, but Galactus finally won, exiling Tyrant to the edge of reality. Tyrant waited eons for his return, gathering energy until he was back to normal- the Spinsterhood had formed simply to oppose him, but only one- Ganymede- still survived. She asked the Silver Surfer for help, but Tyrant captured various cosmic heroes to drain them of power- Terrax, Morg, Beta Ray Bill, Gladiator, Jack Of Hearts, the Surfer & Ganymede were all imprisoned. Galactus arrived looking for Morg, but Tyrant forced him to accept a deal- all of the other prisoners could go free if Morg stayed.

-Morg repeatedly fought his captor, infuriating Tyrant, who wanted to break his will. He appeared in a handful of stories here and there as a Sword of Damocles over the rest of the cast, having a power-orb swiped by Thanos once, until he finally planned to kill Galactus once and for all. Morg, not wanting Galactus to die (Tyrant used his powers over technology to drain Galactus's power), used the Ultimate Nullifier on Tyrant. Tyrant begged for his life, but Morg mercilessly disintegrated him with the Nullifier- all Tyrant could do was ensure his "Toady-Drone" (a mechanical being he controlled) attached itself to Morg & the Nullifier, preventing him from separating himself- he was disintegrated as well. Tyrant has never reappeared, lasting all of two years, and has largely not even been mentioned.

-Tyrant was powerful enough to take out Silver Surfer, Morg, Beta-Ray Bill, Jack of Hearts and others simultaneously with relative ease, and with lower power was able to nearly beat Thanos, so the guy is a super-cosmic heavy-hitter. At PL 18, he'd take out any hero one-on-one, and would still provide a horrible challenge for Galactus.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

So Nineties... Just looking at that guy’s picture has caused my hair to spontaneously crimp, morphed my clothes into Jordache jeans and an ALF t-shirt, and caused my iPod to transform into a Walkman with a New Kids on the Block tape inside... and I have a burning desire to ask my mom to drive me to the mall.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Bg, what's wrong?
<Looks at Tyrant pic>
Ah, so Nineties! I'm getting ugly flashbacks here.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Is that armor? Or his body is metallic? He has metal hair strands that look like wire cables. Tyrant almost looks like some techno-organic being but that does not seem to be anywhere in his power set.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Goldar wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:05 pm Is that armor? Or his body is metallic? He has metal hair strands that look like wire cables. Tyrant almost looks like some techno-organic being but that does not seem to be anywhere in his power set.
I doubt even the artist who drew him knows.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:07 pm
Goldar wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:05 pm Is that armor? Or his body is metallic? He has metal hair strands that look like wire cables. Tyrant almost looks like some techno-organic being but that does not seem to be anywhere in his power set.
"Only his hairdresser knows for sure."

...wait, too far back.

"Maybe he's born with it. Maybe it's Maybelline."
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Lol. Yes, I am sure you are correct. It seems like all they did in that era was just pump out new ridiculous characters.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Skavenger wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:15 pm
"Only his hairdresser knows for sure."

...wait, too far back.

"Maybe he's born with it. Maybe it's Maybelline."
Hahahaha, both lines are so good!
Jabroniville

Ravenous

Post by Jabroniville »

RAVENOUS
Created By:
Keith Giffen & Renato Arlem
First Appearance: Annihilation: The Silver Surfer #1 (June 2006)
Role: Mirror Image Villain (To Heralds)
Group Affiliations: The Annihilation Wave
PL 14 (259)
STRENGTH
13/15 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Space Traveller) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Cosmic Lore) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Hunter) 10 (+12)
Intimidation 10 (+12)
Perception 6 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Opposing Force) 2 (+10)
Technology 6 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit 5 (Leader of the Seekers, Negative Zone Forces), Chokehold, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Equipment 10 (Teleportation Gear, Interstellar Personal Vessels), Improved Critical (Opposing Force), Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Tracking

Powers:
"Imbued With The Power Cosmic"
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 15) [18]
Immunity 12 (Aging, Sleep, Life Support) [12]

"Cosmic Mind"
Enhanced Will Save 4 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Attacks) [2]

"The Opposing Force"
Cosmic Blast 17 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 12, Split, Extended Range 5- x3,200 ft., Variable 2) (53) -- [59]
  • Dynamic AE: "Opposing Wave" Damage 14 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (51)
  • Dynamic AE: "Opposing Stream" Damage 14 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (51)
  • Dynamic AE: Enhanced Strength 2 & Power-Lifting 2 (6,000 tons) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Boosted Strength +10 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Cosmic Blast +10 (+17 Ranged Damage, DC 32)
Area Attacks +14 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +17 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +7 (+11 vs. Mental Attacks)

Complications:
Responsibility (The Negative Zone)- Ravenous is an agent of Annihilus.
Power Loss (Death of the Currs)- If the Currs are dead, Ravenous will lose his access to The Opposing Force until they come back.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 31 / Powers: 103 / Defenses: 15 (259)

-Ravenous was an interesting addition during Annihilation. A super-powerful Negative Zone analogue to the Heralds of Galactus, he wielded "The Opposing Force", a reverse-Power Cosmic that made him "the equal of any Herald". Just HOW powerful he is becomes a matter of conjecture- he beat the CRAP out of Ronan the Accuser, but only after a tremendous battle. He brawled it out with the Silver Surfer, but fell easily to the "Upgraded" model. He got up to all kinds of stuff, bringing in Heralds alongside his fellow Seekers (basically lesser versions of himself) and Currs (metallic dog-like trackers of Cosmic Energy), fighting the heroes, and eventually falling. Finally, he lost to a combo of Super-Skrull & Ronan, who'd been built up all series- Ronan got his biggest win in the series by smashing Ravenous's head open with his Accuser mace.

-Ravenous stuck around later, though, being ceded Kree worlds in a treaty, and we saw him a bit during Annihilation: Conquest, but not nearly as much as in the first series. By War of Kings, he was captured by the Nova Corps. after his territories were attacked by first Vulcan, then Blastaar. He has not appeared since then, largely being dropped. I'm wondering if Keith Giffen leaving the Annihilation series made this a situation where Abnett & Lanning weren't part of him, so just didn't care?

-Like I said before, his Power Level can be tricky, as he's stated to be Herald-level, but it took him a good long while to take out anyone of PL 12-13 range, so I figure PL 14 is the best. His Cosmic Blasts & unarmed strength are incredible (and he can Power Attack up to +22 damage!), and he's similarly a monstrous pain to bring down (Ronan KO'd him by BREAKING THE UNIVERSAL WEAPON ON HIS FACE). He & his Seekers have the unique weakness of only being able to utilize their Cosmic might if their Currs are alive- since they're PL 10 monsters that Regenerate from total destruction in 5-20 minutes, that's not TOO huge of a Flaw, but it leaves them more vulnerable than a regular Herald.

-Despite having equivalent power to a Herald, all Ravenous has ever been shown doing is punching and Blasting, so that's all his "Opposing Force" gets as far as Alt-Effects goes. I figure he can boost his base Strength like a Herald can, but most of this build is just conjecture.

CURRS
Role:
Animal Companions
PL 10 (147)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Close Combat (Bite) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Hunters) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 12 (+10)
Perception 7 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Great Endurance, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Trip, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sense Energy" Senses 17 (Detect Energy- Ranged 13- 100 trillion miles, Acute & Analytical, Tracking) [17]
Impervious Toughness 5 [5]

Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [7]
Immortality 11 (30 minutes) [22]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Bite +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +10 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (The Negative Zone)- Ravenous is an agent of Annihilus.
Power Loss (Death of the Currs)- If the Currs are dead, Ravenous will lose his access to The Opposing Force until they come back.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 8 (147)

-Ravenous and the Seekers each carry around pairs of Currs, giant alien hounds that can track Cosmic Energy the way that Heralds do. Such is their power that these mere Minions are PL 10.

SEEKERS
Role:
Lesser Color-Swap Mooks
PL 11 (185)
STRENGTH
10/13 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Space Traveller) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Cosmic Lore) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Hunter) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 5 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Opposing Force) 2 (+10)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Equipment 10 (Teleportation Gear, Interstellar Personal Vessels), Improved Critical (Opposing Force), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Tracking

Powers:
"Imbued With The Power Cosmic"
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 7) [10]

"Cosmic Mind"
Enhanced Will Save 2 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Attacks) [1]

"The Opposing Force"
Cosmic Blast 14 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8, Split, Extended Range 2- x400 ft.) (41) -- [47]
  • Dynamic AE: "Opposing Wave" Damage 11 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (31)
  • Dynamic AE: "Opposing Stream" Damage 11 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (31)
  • Dynamic AE: Enhanced Strength 3 & Power-Lifting 2 (1,600 tons) (7)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Boosted Strength +8 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Cosmic Blast +8 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Area Attacks +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +9, Will +5 (+7 vs. Mental Attacks)

Complications:
Responsibility (The Negative Zone)- The Seekers are agents of Annihilus.
Power Loss (Death of the Currs)- If the Currs are dead, the Seekers will lose access to The Opposing Force until they come back.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 72 / Defenses: 13 (185)

-The "Seekers" are Ravenous' Goon Squad, a bunch of super-powerful guys who look exactly like him in slightly more plain outfits (I love that- it's SO "Video Games" to have Minions dress as different-colored versions of you), also outfitted with Currs, who are supposedly "the equals of any Herald" as well. Just how bad-ass they are is a matter up for debate- a whole gang of them KO'd Terrax, which is no small feat. But Firelord & Red Shift casually dismembered a separate big group with sneak attacks. As it stands, they're just the Ravenous build, shrunk into an acceptable, over-pointed PL 11. So they've got a ton of raw power, but could probably be defeated one-on-one by Iron Man, Thor or most of the Heralds. Since most of their big wins are gang-attacks, I find that believable. After all, a gang of PL 11s is still rather dangerous.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.