Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

ThunderCats

Post by Jabroniville »

THUNDERCATS:
-In the annals of '80s cartoons, ThunderCats likely has the most iconic catchphrases- your "Yo, Joe!"s and "More Than Meets the Eye"s had to bow down and accept the reality that "Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! ThunderCats... HOOOOOOOOOOOO!" was the biggest and best of them all. Even "Truly Outrageous!" fell before it. It's so iconic that when my family & I went to Las Vegas and saw Wayne Brady's Making Shit Up improv show, we witnessed him asking the crowd if they'd grown up in the eighties, and to make sure, he blurted out "Thunderthunderthundercats" and held out the mic- sure enough, a rousing chorus of "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" burst out of the crowd. We damn near ALL knew it!

The show also stands as having the greatest, most well-animated Theme Song of the era- no small success when there were literally a hundred shows all aiming for the dollars of whiny kids' parents.

The show was created in 1985 by Rankin-Bass Productions (most famous for their stop-motion Christmas stuff, like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer), mainly to jump into the already-crowded ranks of TV cartoons meant to advertise toy lines. And the show became so successful that it ultimately managed to be #4 in the list- behind G.I. Joe, Transformers and He-Man. However, it had the shortest run of the group, and the weakest legacy as well. I remember being OBSESSED with it as a kid- problematic, because I was born in 1981, which meant I was way too young to have watched most of the first-runs. The show petered out by 1988, and I was the oldest kid in my family, which meant that I didn't really have mastery of the TV remote until later, I guess, because I BARELY remember watching it. In fact, I was too young for almost ALL of those shows- only G.I. Joe's later season was readily-available- when I came of age, Jem and She-Ra repeats were the '80s cartoons of choice until Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came out near the turn of the decade and rewrote the book on what it meant to be a phenomenon as a toy line.

Because of this timing issue, I only had a handful of the figures, and mostly little ones with no articulation. Transformers: Generation 2 meant I had more of those, and Dino-Riders was my jam. TMNT we had by the bucketful. Even He-Man was still being produced. G.I. Joe kept going for a good while after it faded in popularity, too, so I had those (mostly "Ninja Force"-era guys). But ThunderCats was REALLY hard to find out there. The issue was, the short three-year run may have produced 136 episodes, but it didn't get repeated as often, and the toyline faded too quickly, and the world had moved on. So while I loved the idea enough that my mom, to this day, talks about how much I dug it... I probably never watched more than four episodes in my entire childhood. My only real memories of it are from watching as an adult, and even then, only from rentals, because Canada didn't get the regular repeats of most of these shows until much later, and I didn't have a PVR until after they'd stopped airing.

And MAN this show was really silly and bad in retrospect. There are things you can appreciate in the other shows- as I've mentioned, Jem was a great show with a lot of fairly-deep and interesting characters, and is the most wildly, boldly '80s of the era. Transformers was stupid as hell, but had the best character designs, voices and fights. G.I. Joe was legitimately well-written at times, and had some great comedy and adventure elements. But ThunderCats was mostly just BAD. The animation was static and poor, the voice-acting either dull or ridiculous (the same six people do EVERY VOICE in the first season), and more. The dialogue was nearly always handed out in a dry, dull manner, or with the goofiest cartoon voices (Monkian rendered some episodes unwatchable to me as an adult). Snarf was one of the most annoying "Kid Focus Comedy Relief" characters of the era, too. The AMAZING opening theme, complete with state-of-the-art animation that impresses even TODAY... just set you up for failure. The show is just plain bad.

THE STORY:
-ThunderCats is the story of a race of catlike beings from Thundera (pronounced Thun-DER-a- the Marvel Comics even spelled in THUNDERA in writing), who were attacked by the evil "Mutants", also animal people. The Mutants destroyed Thundera, but the main cast managed to escape in a ship- chased to a planet called "Third Earth". Third Earth is a more "Anything Goes" kind of fantasy/sci-fi setting, with technology mixed with sorcery.

The sole survivors of the Thunderan race are Lion-O (a twelve-year old boy artificially aged into an adult form, who takes leadership because he's the Prince), Tygra (a stoic guy), Panthro (a strong tech-genius), Cheetarah (The Chick with super-speed), and twins Wilykat & Wilykit, who represent the "Annoying Kid Focus" characters. Their sidekick is Snarf, who can also speak, but is a more odd-looking "Mascot" creature, more ugly than cute. The shows of the era featured a LOT of these characters, with The Real Ghostbusters's Slimer being the most iconic. The ghostly spectre of Jaga would also appear to Lion-O, giving him sagely advice. The notion of "Cats-As-People" is never really explored- can the cat people breed with other types? What happens when all the tiger-themed names are taken and the tiger-people have to pick new names? Are Panthro's people targetted by the police more than Bengali's? You never know!

Their enemies were the Mutants- Slythe (lizard), Monkian (ape), Vultureman & Jackalman... who crash-landed along with their minions into the real of the ancient mummy wizard Mumm-Ra, who took command of the entire operation.

The episodes would involve a lot of "lessons" (parents of the time were complaining about the violence in children's TV), as the young, naive Lion-O would need to be taught by the other characters. His strength and powers were great, but he was easily-fooled. The bumbling enemies would be beaten easily enough, but Mumm-Ra had a lot more menace than most of the retreat-ordering cowards of the day.

A season or two in, a new cast of characters would be added- Pumyra, Bengali, and Lynx-O. As a kid, I was so far out of the ThunderCats thing that I had no idea these characters existed until I was an adult, so these people are complete unknowns to me. In the final season, Mumm-Ra would reconstruct "New Thundera" in order to find the Sword of Plun-Darr and the Book of Omens- magical items of great power.

REVIVALS:
-Revivals of the franchise have met with complete and utter failure, unlike some of its contemporaries, who successfully revived at different points. While there has been a Transformers series in production for like twenty years at this point, ThunderCats has managed only one failed revival, and it had to wait all the way until 2011 to get it. This series, drawn in a very anime-inspired style, like somewhere between Avatar: The Last Airbender and Young Justice, was a little too serious (ie. boring) for young audiences, and not nostalgia-related enough for old ones. Having watched ten-ish episodes, I can ABSOLUTELY see why it was cancelled- "Slow Build" TV shows are basically another word for "Boring As Balls", and so the thing completely failed to maintain my interest. There were SOME good ideas (Pamela Adlon as Pumyra was great- her voice is sooooooooo sexy), but it felt like it was all build, and no pay-off. The fights were very sub-par, the animation was often VERY static (great, complicated designs meant that the had to cheap out on actual MOVEMENT), and overall it never built any sort of momentum, unlike Avatar, which also started a bit slow.

Ultimately, the show failed to maintain any sort of an audience, and completely bombed- it was cancelled halfway through a planned 52-episode production, and thus never got a proper ending. A new revival, called ThunderCats ROAR!, is a completely bizarre, 100% comedic, goofily-drawn comedy show that more or less takes the characters and setting and makes a comedy out of them. As you might imagine, '80s Kids are famously accepting of all changes to beloved old cartoons, so they just ADORED this.
catsi563

Re: Jab’s Builds (Nina! Feng Wei! C. Marduk! Bryan Fury! Azazel!)

Post by catsi563 »

Heh Id argue Bionic 6 andMask and Silverhawks had the best intros but hell this was the 80s so theres so many good ones to choose from you cant lose :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

catsi563 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:22 am Heh Id argue Bionic 6 andMask and Silverhawks had the best intros but hell this was the 80s so theres so many good ones to choose from you cant lose :D
You can hardly go wrong with M.A.S.K. since it was composed by Shuki Levy.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
sirjolt

Post by sirjolt »

I was born in '71. There was so much cool stuff to watch as a kid; especially Saturday morning. The stuff I remember most from the 70's going into the 80's are the Superfriends, Battle of the Planets, the Hanna Barbera shorts (particularly the Herculoids), Starblazers, Thundarr the Barbarian, Flash Gordon, He-Man, Thundercats, Galtar and the Golden Lance, and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. There were many others but those were the ones that struck me the most. I enjoyed Transformers and GI Joe but they didn't resonate with me as much as the did with my friends. Fantasy was, and still is, my preferred genre. It was easy to catch things at the time since so many shows were repeated - even when I graduated high school in '89 I could still regularly watch black & white TV shows on network TV.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Thundercats is one of the big 80's and 90's franchises that I was into as a kid (such as TMNT, Ghostbusters, MASK, He-Man, G.I Joe etc.) and of course I had the the majority of the toys. Though I don't have permanent memories of the episodes (like I do with shows such as the 90's X-Men) I do remember the TV movie that introduced the new Thundercats (and IIRC featured other characters such as Hachiman and the Snow Knight), I owned the VHS so must have watched it repeatedly. I also vaguely remember a hard back book featuring several stories including one about a character called Lynxana, I think it must have been a collection of some of the issues of a comic book.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It's amazing what difference a year makes, because I was born in 1980 and I feel like I got to experience 90% of all of the cartoons that were put out during that decade, which made for an awesome 10 years for little Ares. Part of it was thanks to syndication, part of it was being the oldest sibling and my other brothers coming along a little later, so I generally had first choice of TV shows, as well as TV networks taking advantage of syndication and VHS rentals.

Masters of the Universe, G.I. Joe, Transformers, ThunderCats, MASK, the Real Ghostbusters, Thundarr the Barbarian, Dungeons and Dragons, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, the Incredible Hulk, Super Powers, the InHumanoids, the Centurions, the Defenders of the Earth, COPS, Space Stars, the Spiral Zone, Visionaries, Bravestarr, Blackstar, She-Ra, Silverhawks, TigerSharks, the other Ghostbusters, two flavors of Voltron, the Mighty Orbots, Galtar and the Golden Lance, Sky Commanders, Dino-Riders, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Robocop, and of course the greatest, most unsung cartoon of the 80's, the FIlmation Shazam show. :D It was just this incredible time of fun and creativity.

I even remember some of the lesser known shows with a relatively short run, such as the WWF cartoon, Rambo, Lazer Tag Academy, Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandos, Pole Position, Punky Brewster, Popeye and Son . . . most of which are better left forgotten.

If you couldn't tell, I was heavily invested in the action hero cartoons, but I also loved shows like Muppet Babies (so much of my imagination came from that show), and remember a lot of non-action series like the Littles, Jem, Heathcliff, Garfield and Friends, Rainbow Brite, various Scooby Doo cartoons, the Get Along Gang, the Care Bears, the Smurfs, all of the reruns of old Disney and Loony Toons cartoons, etc.

I unfortunately missed out on shows like Battle of the Planets, the Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers and a few others, but thankfully modern DVDs have let me see what I missed out on.

And the really sad thing is that the only thing I had to look up was to make sure I spelled "Punky Brewster" correctly. My head is a weird place. Still, if anyone needs help on doing 80s and 90s cartoons, there's a good chance I can help you out. ;)

In any case, I always find myself defending the older cartoons, but I generally can do so with the Nostalgia Goggles off. A lot of the old shows often had very simple plots, hit or miss voice acting, frequently cheesy dialogue, questionable animation, and occasionally dipped into some very, very stupid stories. Even shows like G.I. Joe and Transformers had some really terrible episodes, occasionally so bad that voice actors would quit after making them. But I rarely go back and watch any of those shows and think that the shows on a whole are really terrible.

I think part of it is that I understand what these people were going up against. They had to include moral messages in their show because the broadcasting standards of the time required X amount of "educational material" be shown each day. Censors had a much tighter grip on series of the time, and Parent Watchdog groups were playing the Outrage Card hard back in the day, which combined with the usual executive meddling frequently resulted in a lot of creative staff being hamstrung. The Real Ghostbusters infamously was the most watched, highest rated cartoon of its time . . . and then the corporate execs stepped in and brought a focus group to "fix" the show, and "fixed" it so much that the series wound up getting cancelled. Dungeons and Dragons had to include Eric the Cavalier to be an example of "the complainer is always wrong", but after some initial issues with him, the creative staff showed just how good they were by giving Eric the most character development and growth. Combine that with less advanced animation technology, less robust budgets, and various other demands, I tend to cut the shows slack I frequently don't give to modern shows.

It was then more amazing when you'd get shows willing to tell pretty deep stories, take chances, have ongoing narratives, etc. The Spiral Zone dealt with a world where the bad guys had already taken over half the planet, and dealt with some dark concepts. One episode dealt with a town that had to deal with the choice of whether to starve to death or enter the Spiral Zone (which would turn them into mindless zombies but also keep them from dying). One episode dealt with a guy being paid to smuggle people out of places where the Zone was encroaching, only to be also paid by Overlord to ship those people to him, essentially engaging in human trafficking.

It took a show like Batman: The Animated Series to let cartoons really start to stretch their legs, had a lot of their restrictions lowered, got much better voice work, ongoing plots, better animation, etc. And we hit pinnacle awesome of the 90s with Gargoyles, with the kind of storytelling I don't think we'd get again until Avatar: The Last Airbender.

So like I said, I can go back and watch almost any of those old cartoons and enjoy them unironically. Hell, I've been binging Defenders of the Earth while working on that Pulp Crossover idea.

Which brings us back to ThunderCats and . . . . it's definitely got its problems. I'd say the biggest offender is the voice acting, as it could frequently come off as stilted and awkward. The animation could be very hit or miss, and you'd sometimes get very silly stuff where Tigra was essentially on drugs, characters named 'Wizz-Ra' or that time Lion-O armwrestles a caveman.

The Sword of Omens was frequently the Plot Device to end all Plot Devices, as it would often just pull something completely out of its metaphorical butt to save the day. One time the ThunderCats were fighting Mumm-Ra in the center of New Thundera, where there was this giant machine keeping the planet together. Mumm-Ra proceeds to blow said machine up and teleports away. How does Lion-O fix this? By throwing the Sword into the spot where the machine was, and the Sword then magically holds the planet together until the machine can be replaced. Another time they were fighting this giant plant monster that was proving immune to all of their attacks. So how does Lion-O defeat it? But using the Sword of Omens to bring a giant stone statue to life, and then growing to giant size so the statue can wield it against the monster.

But at the same time, the show just had this incredible imagination. You had this world heavily implied to be a post-apocalypic Earth (given Excalibur existed here) where you had cybernetic teddy bears growing candy fruit, amazon jungle women with trick arrows, a heroic scientist with an underwater base guarded by two giant humanoid frog robots, cyborg pirates, it was just amazing. Mumm-Ra was a FANTASTIC villain, looking like some badass sorcerer warrior god straight out of Conan, who frequently nearly won thanks to being clever and powerful. The animation wasn't always great, but the action was frequently fun. While it was a plot device cop out, seeing a giant stone ThunderCat statue fighting a giant plant monster was frickin awesome. And you'd also have stuff like Lion-O armwestles a caveman.

So yeah, as lacking as the show could be in some areas at times, I would happily take it over something with better animation and voice acting like Adventure Time or Avengers Assemble.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (Nina & Anna Williams! Feng Wei! C. Marduk! Bryan Fury!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:58 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:41 am Claudio also has some kind of blue energy arrow projectile attack as his Rage Art, which he can use as a regular move in Story mode as a CPU oppponent because of course the CPU gets to have stuff you don't.
Is a Rage Art like a Super Move or something? I'm not really familiar with Tekken terminology.
Yeah, "Rage Art" is the terminology used for Tekken 7's Super Moves, where a character enters "Rage Mode" after their life bar gets into about a quarter left and can then execute it. Geese and Akuma just use their own game's mechanics, with all their Super Moves intact, even with their game's super move meters!
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:53 am
catsi563 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:22 am Heh Id argue Bionic 6 andMask and Silverhawks had the best intros but hell this was the 80s so theres so many good ones to choose from you cant lose :D
You can hardly go wrong with M.A.S.K. since it was composed by Shuki Levy.
And since Ares brought up Spiral Zone, I can't not bring up that theme song! And speaking of Shuki Levy theme songs, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors! Funny thing is, it's ALSO vehicle-based, like M.A.S.K. I swear some of these cartoons were just trying to make as many vehicles as possible to sell toys..some more succeessful than others.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

There was something amazing about 80s and early 90s animated series intros. I don't know what it was, but they managed to figure out the perfect combo of music, animation and exposition to get you pumped up for the show. By the time Lion-O had finished swinging his sword for a group pose with the Cats and Jaga was posing with them, most kids heartrates were at dangerously high levels, and the intro was only half way done!
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Lion-O

Post by Jabroniville »

LION-O
Played By:
Larry Kenney
Role: The Main Hero, "Big Brother" Character
PL 9 (137), PL 11 (137) Nullification
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Deception 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 1 (+3)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit (Lord of the ThunderCats), Defensive Roll, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"The Sword of Omens" (Feats: Indestructible, Summonable, Restricted to Good Beings) (Flaws: Easily Removable) [26]
Features 1: Retractable (1)
Senses 1 (Danger Sense) (1)

"Thunder!... Thunder!... Thunder!... ThunderCats!- HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" Environment 5 (Light 2) Linked to Variable 2 (Boosting Existing Powers) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Distracting, Unreliable- 1/day -2) Linked to Nullify Mind Control 10 (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Unreliable- 1/day -2) (27) -- (36)
  • AE: "Sword of Omens- Give Me Sight Beyond Sight!" Remote Sensing 12 (Vision) & Senses 4 (Vision Penetrates Obstacles) (28)
  • AE: "Sword Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (10)
  • AE: "Sword Blast" Blast 10 (20)
  • AE: "Electrical Blast" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (20)
  • AE: Nullify Magic 11 (22)
  • AE: Healing 10 (20)
  • AE: "Freeze in Ice" Snare 8 (24)
  • AE: Force Field 4 (Extras: Affects Others Only) (8)
  • AE: Flight 4 (Flaws: Platform) (4)
-- (38 points)

"Claw-Shield" (Flaws: Removable) [4]
Enhanced Defenses 1 (2)
Strength-Damage +1 (1)
"Index Finger Cable-Gun" Movement 1 (Swinging) (2)
-- (5 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Sword of Omens +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Sword Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Electrical Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Nullify +11 (+11 Nullify, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (+12 Claw-Shield, DC 21-22), Parry +11 (+12 Claw-Shield, DC 21-22), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Impetuous)- Lion-O is a child at heart, and is prone to acting without thinking, letting his curiosity get the better of him, and leading with an attack.
Responsibility (Leader of the ThunderCats)- Lion-O is the son of the former Lord of Thundera, and must now lead the other ThunderCats.
Power Loss (The Sword of Omens)- If the Eye of Thundera is covered by something strong enough, like black tar, then it is completely disabled. If it is used to attack a ThunderCat, it will shatter, and must be re-forged in "star fire".

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 16 (137)

-Lion-O was a bit peculiar in the annals of '80s Cartoon history- most of the time, the Leader of the team is the most perfect out of everybody- an all-around phenomenon with the most brilliant tactics possible, and more skills than any of his comrades- guys like Duke, Optimus Prime, He-Man & Questar. Lion-O was different- Lion-O was basically a kid in an adult's body. When the ThunderCats fled Thundera, they went into suspended animation for ten years- however, young Prince Lion-O left the life-pod having aged at a NATURAL RATE- he was thus a young adult, looking more like his elders than Wilykit & Wilykat! This meant that Lion-O was young, naive, and needed a lot of advice- he often didn't know the right way to react, and was far too impulsive.

-Lion-O was thus a kind of "Fan Insert" character, being just a little older than the target audience, but being "Billy Batsonned" into an older form. The writers said they wanted him to come off like an "older brother" to young fans, so they could watch a slightly-older person struggle with the stuff they themselves might struggle with.

-Lion-O is a PL 9 fighter thanks to the powerful Sword of Omens, but as that device is basically a Deus Ex Machina, you can do almost anything you want with it. The sheer list of powers the Wiki site claims it has is INSANE, going from the classic "Sight Beyond Sight!" that every child of the '80s remembers, and extending into Healing, Freeze-Beams, Force Fields, Flight, and more! I remember almost none of this. The sword is nigh-indestructible, but it's shown that both the Sword of Plun-Darr and Excalibur are able to crack the Eye of Thundera
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Blundercats

probably NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWRvkRj8KQA
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Anyways, as far as lil HJ goes.....I wasn't really a fan of Thundercats. Probably because it didn't really air much in our market. I mean I knew OF it, but didn't really watch it until Cartoon Network started airing it years later. I've got a passing knowledge of it, but it's not really my thing.

Now one of my best friends from work, he's all about that shit.
Jabroniville

Snarf

Post by Jabroniville »

SNARF (Snarf Osbert)
Played By:
Bob McFadden
Role: The Mascot, Annoying Critter
PL 3 (61)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 9 (+7)
Deception 6 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+4, +8 Size)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (3 feet) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
Comprehend (Speak to & Understand Animals) [4]
"Tail He Can Stand On" Extra Limb 1 [1]
Immunity 10 (Mind Control) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +0, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (No Job)- Snarf was supposed to babysit young Lion-O. Instead, he has to watch the adult ThunderCat screw up.
Relationship (Snarfer)- Snarf is later given an annoying nephew named Snarfer, who looks like a smaller version of him.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 5 (61)

-'80s shows had SO MANY characters like this- annoying critters who bleated complain-y things constantly, always needed saving, and took up a chunk of every episode to do so. All because "little kids love cute things" and they could be used to sell stuff. The worst part of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon was Uni, who was ALWAYS going "BLEAAAAHHHHHH!!! BLEAAAAAAAHHHH!" like that. Slimer was a constant fixture of The Real Ghostbusters, and soon he took over half the show, CHANGING ITS NAME, and even getting his own segments. And ThunderCats... had THIS guy. Snarf was a constant presence in the show, usually saying something whiny and adding "Schnarrfff! Schnarrrfff!" at the end of it.

-Snarf was meant to be Lion-O's caretaker, and is thus a nannying worry-wart. Pessimistic, he generally just whined a lot. Since Lion-O grew up without him, he had less to do, and so he just kind of bothered everyone else. His small size makes him handy in terms of stealth, at least, and many episodes feature him utilizing his bravery. His people are apparently quite incorruptible, being immune to Mind Control, and can speak to animals.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

What's also very amusing is that the intros to Thundercats and Silverhawks are interchangable.

Look up Thunderhaws and Silvercats on YouTube... it's rather neat how seamlessly they swap.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Bladewind wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 am What's also very amusing is that the intros to Thundercats and Silverhawks are interchangable.

Look up Thunderhaws and Silvercats on YouTube... it's rather neat how seamlessly they swap.
And both shows got Marvel comics based on them! And thinking about it..Marvel's Darkhawk looks a lot like the Silverhawks, doesn't he?