Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Foom! Fantomex! Faiza Hussein! Forge!)

Post by Jabroniville »

haha, NICE. Found a video of Disney Employees talking about behind-the-scenes stuff. A few Princesses and a "creepy smiling security guard": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eV3XWucL1Q

Everyone I know wonders about the Princesses getting hit on- most of the Reddit "Ask My Anything" stuff suggests it happens less than you'd think, but THESE girls are quite clear that it happened a lot. "We give kisses... to LITTLE boys and girls. Not BIG boys and girls!".

Also, some astonishingly pretty girl explains what it was like to be a "Friend of Ariel": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9N_hON31a0

Here's her takedown of the first video, in fact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWGtjh8GTcQ (HUGE video; long story short, but she's PO'd at how they treat the "Disney Magic", and how they can create problems for future CMs)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri May 31, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Minions of Menace

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MINIONS OF MENACE (aka The Intimidators)
Created By:
Steve Gerber, Len Wein & Jim Starlin
First Appearance: Giant-Size Defenders #3 (1977)
Role: Space Thugs
Group Affiliations: The Minions of Menace, The Intimidators

-This group was assembled by The Prime Mover as part of a game against The Grandmaster, and faced The Defenders, Thor, and the Guardians of the Galaxy across Giant-Size Defenders and Thor Annual in 1977. Some of the team successfully killed their superhero targets, but things were reversed by story's end, when the heroes were victorious and the Grandmaster won. The same team (plus Brahl & Tork) was recruited by Michael Korvac in Thor, but were again defeated.

The Members:
BRAHL: See the above build.
DUMOG: A large, amorphous blob-creature with multiple limbs, bouncing ability, and telepathy of some kind. He was good enough to KILL DAREDEVIL in his debut, tossing him into lava, but he was successfully frozen by Martinex, defeating him. His reappearance had him suffering the same fate.
GROTT THE MAN-SLAYER: A shrimpy-looking yellow alien, Grott used his antennae to absorb solar power to utilize for Strength, Telekinesis, and a Force Field. The antennae were easily shot off, however. A consistent thing with Grott was being boastful, then being handily beaten by the opponent's counter-attack- the Hulk backhanded him after Grott buried him under rocks, his teammate Teju whupped on him once, Nikki chased him off by shooting off his antennae, and he was handily trapped in ice by Martinex.
TORK: A large reptilian, Tork wasn't in the Defenders story, debuting in Thor Annual with Brahl. He handily avoided injury from Nikki of the Guardians, but Charlie-27 easily knocked him out by punching him through a wall. Later, he and his teammates beat Charlie while they were in prison, but Charlie recovered (thanks to Diablo's potions, as the villain had lived until the 30th Century), and KO'd him easily in turn.
TEJU: Another reptilian, this "Reptoid" was strong enough to trade blows with Namor, and ssssssssspoke like thisssssssssss. Shockingly, weakness and dehydration resulted in the DEATH of the Sub-Mariner, despite being enraged by the killing of Daredevil. In the Thor story, Teju managed to knock Yondu's Yaka Arrows out of the air with his tail, but Vance Astro used his Telekinesis to use that same tail to bludgeon Teju to unconsciousness. In GOTG, Teju was pummelled into unconsciousness by Hollywood (the future version of Wonder Man).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The First Line

Post by Jabroniville »

MARVEL- THE LOST GENERATION:
-This story, coming out in the year 2000, was an attempt by John Byrne (then a washed-up writer relegated simply to writing "Retcon Stories" that would later be ignored) and Roger Stern (then considered a bit "out of touch" and not getting any other work, really) to explain what was going on between the Golden Age and the Modern Age. Basically, it was meant to bridge the gap between the World War II heroes and the modern-day guys (less of an issue in the Silver Age, when only FIFTEEN YEARS OF TIME separated the two eras- now it's more than sixty and growing). It started with MTLG #12 and continued on until a #1, final issue, was released. Many heroes came, went, retired, and died, ultimately with a group sacrifice against a Skrull Invasion Force. Thus justifying why most of these characters were forgotten. Cleverly, the creators had the timeline get more and more vague as they got "closer" to the modern day.

-I figured I'd finally get the rest of these nobodies out of the way- most of them were known from a tiny amount of panels, or had a minimum of characterization. As I've no plans to ever actually read Marvel: The Lost Generation (nothing personal to Stern & Byrne; it's just not a concept that interests me- I mean, a bunch of unknowns fighting Skrulls?).

The Roster:
WALKABOUT: Robot built by the Eternal Brain to house his consciousness.
MISTER JUSTICE (Timothy Carney): Yankee Clippper's brother- he was killed by a Skrull after being distracted by the arrival of someone wearing his brother's Time Travel Belt.
SUNSHINE (Autumn MacRae): A hippie-looking girl with the power to stun people unconscious with her "Glow". She married the superhero known as Cap'n Hip (formerly The Hipster- back when that was the name for the predecessors of the Hippie movement; not a modern-day appelation for "Young People I Don't Understand"). He was super-strong and had good Leaping ability, and the two were offered membership in the First Line, but did not accept, instead retiring and raising their daughter, who later became the Gadfly.
THE GADFLY (Truth MacRae): Sunshine & Cap'n Hip's Super-Agile daughter. She rejected her parents' hippie lifestyle, and even became a minor criminal in order to draw the attention of the Black Fox (a more-important Lost Generation character. She and Black Fox died in each other's arms during the Skrull Invasion.
FIREFALL: Standard "Fire Hero" set-up- Aura, Blast & Flight. It is unknown whether or not she survived the final battle against the Skrulls.
BLACKJACK: A former criminal turned hero, looking a bit like a purple recolor of Hal Jordan. He initially fought the Yankee Clipper, but switched sides when it turned out that the Skrulls were invading. He was killed by someone called Scimitar. He was a standard Bad-Ass Normal type of guy.
DOCTOR MIME: A mostly-unknown guy from the '80s. Nobody even knows his powers.
RIOT-ACT: She could fly.
REFLEX: Killed by the Skrulls- he had a "reverse-kinesis field" around him that would redirect the kinetic energy of things outwards.
FLATIRON (Russell: A black guy named Russell who built his own Powersuit. He was killed by the Skrulls.
RAPUNZEL: Prehensile Hair with a "Mesmerizing Shine" that could hypnotize some people (and was usually used to calm down the Yeti). Slightly-enhanced stats. Her hair would not "shrink back" when extended, and so she had to cut it off with little knives mounted on her wrists. She was killed under unrevealed circumstances before the rest of the First Line.
KATYUSHA (Anya): A Russian woman with flight powers. Joined the First Line in the 1960s after defecting to the U.S., having hooked up with the Black Fox. Her fate is unknown.
NIGHTINGALE: A dark-skinned alien-looking woman with Healing powers who debuted in the 1950s. She was on the team until their deaths fighting the Skrulls- healing too many people caused her to age too quickly, and she died. She also had limited Danger Sense and Emotion Detection powers.
SQUIRE: A guy in knightly armor, killed during the Skrull invasion. He was the son of the hero Templar (a little-seen guy in the same series).
REBOUND: Speedball-like leaping & bouncing powers. Her fate is unknown.
VULCAN: A Flying Blaster with an unknown fate; he joined the team in the 1970s.
POSITRON (Veronica): Like her paramour Blackjack, she was a villain before allying with the First Line against the Skrulls. She was killed by the Skrulls. She wore "Power Packs" on her legs that let her use Energy Blasts.
OXBOW (Sam Matonabbe): A Canadian Half-White/Half-Chippewa Archer with limited Super-Strength. He was in a relationship with the Eternal known as Pixie (one of his teammates), but was killed by the Skrulls.

Villains:
NOCTURNE I: A criminal who was actually a Vampire. He killed Black Fox's old crimefighting partner Liberty Girl.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Geez, I remember that mini-series,and I likely still have it lying around in a long box somewhere in storage...not a bad concept at all, though the books meandered a bit, and unfortunately having SO many characters meant not one of them got any real attention or character development. There were a couple others featured-Effigy was a main character, a Skrull who turned out to be a good guy (you know-like ALL of them besides the Super-Skrull and Paibok), Frank (maybe some version of the Monster, he pops up in an issue to battle Thor in a good guys vs. good guys bit), the feral Inhuman Yeti, Mr. Mercury (actually Makkari the Eternal), Morpho, an elastic hero, and probably half a dozen others I've forgotten. Also a bunch of retro villains, too.

TOTALLY ignored by every other Marvel editor and writer, and obviously rendered completely irrelevant by the passage of another twenty years and counting of the MU. Man, I know Byrne ended up having a reputation as being tough to work with and super-opinionated, but its hard to believe how fast his popularity fell in the industry. I mean, friggin' Rob Liefed still gets work at Marvel, but Byrne is persona non grata? I don't he's worked on anything major in at least a decade.

All my best.

PS: Oddly, I actually Flying Tiger might not be a salvageable journeyman villain-he just needs a costume redesign and an actual background/motivation; the kitty-kat mask and a spare Banshee costume dyed blue just don't cut it. But at least he's not goon #10,000 in power armor or bumped up by another "super-soldier variant" serum.
Jabroniville

Eternal Brain

Post by Jabroniville »

"Close your eyes, give me your hand, darlin'
Do you feel my heart BEATING?
Do you understand?
Do you feel the same?
Am I only DREA-EAMING?
IS THIS BURNING... AN E-TERNAL BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNN?!?!?!?"

THE ETERNAL BRAIN (Dr. William Carmody)
Created By:
Joe Simon & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Red Raven Comics #1 (Aug. 1940)
Role: Brain in a Jar
Group Affiliations: The First Line
PL 8 (128)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 7 (+13)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Technology 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Inventor, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Telepathy"
Communication (Mental) 4 Linked to Mind-Reading 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (33) -- [35]
  • Dynamic AE: Mind Control 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (33)
"Robotic Body"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 6 [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Mind Control -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Brain in a Jar)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 71 / Defenses: 10 (128)

-One of about 9,000 "Brains In a Jar" in comics, The Eternal Brain is one of the earliest (I assume this is an ancient "Science Fiction" trope). He was a geneticist who figured out the secret to keeping brains alive. He was shot by some gangsters, and instructed his assistant to do the experiment upon HIMSELF, thus allowing him to cheat death. He rescued his daughter from some thugs (and the exiled ruler of Mongolia, because COMICS). This, his Origin Story, was also his ONLY APPEARANCE, until showing up as a random "Forgotten Golden Age" character in The Lost Generation, where he founded an institute that backed up a lot of the "Filler" heroes between the Golden Age and the Silver Age of comics (at this point, that was a HUGE amount of time, and growing). He was thought-dead alongside the rest of his team, but reappeared with some other goofy characters as part of Howard the Duck's "Ducky's Dozen", and fought some Nazi Zombies. The Eternal Brain sacrificed his life in order to allow the others to escape (naturally, a BRAIN would distract zombies very well).

-The Eternal Brain is a standard Brain in a Jar, but has Telepathic abilities. And he's one of the only HEROIC examples of that archetype in comics!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

I used to like Susanna Hoffs...but who didn't?
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

The Black Fox (Paine)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BLACK FOX I (Dr. Robert William Paine)
Created By:
Roger Stern & John Byrne
First Appearance: Marvel: The Lost Generation #12 (March 2000)
Role: Retcon Character
PL 7 (114)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Streetwise) 4 (+8)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 2 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 3 (+7)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical, Equipment 12 (Radar-Invisible Jet- The Flying Fox), Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Miriam)- Paine's true love was killed by the vampire Nocturne.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (114)

-The second (well, technically, the first) Black Fox was a guy from Marvel: The Lost Generation. Black Fox is an ex-soldier and scholar who fought in WWII and came out of retirement to help the "First Line" heroes against a Skrull invasion, which resulted in his death. He's your standard Learned Two-Fisted Adventurer and seems pretty-well to be a Batman knock-off. I don't imagine any of the Lost Generation guys are that elite.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Liberty Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

LIBERTY GIRL (Beverly "Bev"- Last Name Unrevealed)
Created By:
Roger Stern & John Byrne
First Appearance: Marvel: The Lost Generation #4 (Nov. 2000)
Role: Retcon Character
Group Affiliations: The First Line
PL 7 (80)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 2 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Evasion

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (80)

-Another Lost Generation character, Beverly was "Liberty Girl"- a costumed acrobat active in the 1950s & '60s. She was mostly a backgrounder, helping out the Black Fox & Effigy, but was killed by an enemy called the "Chimera". Her death was quickly overshadowed by the assassination of President Kennedy one day later.
Jabroniville

The Yeti

Post by Jabroniville »

THE YETI I
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #99 (June 1970)
Role: Wildman
Group Affiliations: The Inhumans, The First Line
PL 10 (133)
STRENGTH
11/13 STAMINA 11/13 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 10 (+9)
Perception 6 (+8)
Ranged Attack (Rocks) 5 (+5)
Stealth 14 (+13 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Fearless, Hide In Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle, Ultimate Stealth Check

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
"Ape Strength & Long Arms" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) [3]
Enhanced Stealth 4 (Flaws: Limited to Wintry Environments) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Winter) [2]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Concealment (All Visual Senses) 4 (Extras: Action- Reaction) (Flaws: Limited to Recording Devices, Limited to Crap-Ass Grainy Footage) [4]

"Unstoppable Rage"
Enhanced Strength 2 [4]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Raging +7 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11 (+13 Raging), Fortitude +11 (+13 Raging), Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Rage)- The Yeti finds it hard to calm down once he sets off on his rages. Only looking at pretty things can sometimes calm him.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 8 (133)

-The Yeti is a rarely-seen character who turned out to be an Inhuman who'd left Attilan and was unable to find its Himalayan home- he ends up being the basis for the legend of the wildman of the mountains. He faced the Fantastic Four, Havok & Polaris, and was retconned into being a member of the First Line in the 1950s, quitting the team in shame after losing his temper. He is unrelated to the Yeti that was a member of Weapon: PRIME.
Jabroniville

Effigy

Post by Jabroniville »

EFFIGY (Velmax, aka Jacob Scott)
Created By:
Roger Stern & John Byrne
First Appearance: The Lost Generation #12 (March 2000)
Role: Evil Soldier Turned Good
Group Affiliations: The Skrull Empire, The First Line
PL 8 (127)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 4 (+9)
Expertise (Space Soldier) 5 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Technology 3 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Blasters +6 Multiattack, Rebreathers, Space Armour), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Skrull Physiology"
Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]
Shapeshift 1 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Body Weaponry +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Blasters +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Body Armour), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (The Skrull Empire)
Secret (Actually a Skrull)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 22--10 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 10 (127)

-A Skrull who debuted in Marvel: The Lost Generation, he crash-landed on Earth and became a politician- a member of the Nixon Administration, no less (so you know, he UPGRADED in evil). In 1958, he became the superhero Effigy, becoming the founding member and leader of the First Line. When Nixon killed their funding, Scott leaked information to the Washington Post reporter that uncovered the Watergate scandal, thus sealing Nixon's fate and reputation forever. He led the attempt to halt the Skrull invasion, and died in the process, along with the rest of the First Line.

-So yes, ANOTHER GOOD SKRULL! That makes like, what? Fifty? There's probably more named GOOD Skrulls than there are named EVIL Skrulls by this point. They're like the Drow after Driz'zt got popular- now they're just an entire race of noble souls, changed by their time on Earth; fighting against the evils of Skrull society...

-Far as I can tell, he's just a better-fighting version of a standard Skrull.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Faiza Hussein! Forge! Marvel- The Lost Generation!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Those jodhpurs...
Goldar

Re: The Yeti

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:53 pm Image

THE YETI I
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #99 (June 1970)
Role: Wildman
Group Affiliations: The Inhumans, The First Line
PL 10 (133)
STRENGTH
11/13 STAMINA 11/13 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 10 (+9)
Perception 6 (+8)
Ranged Attack (Rocks) 5 (+5)
Stealth 14 (+13 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Fearless, Hide In Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle, Ultimate Stealth Check

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
"Ape Strength & Long Arms" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) [3]
Enhanced Stealth 4 (Flaws: Limited to Wintry Environments) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Winter) [2]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Concealment (All Visual Senses) 4 (Extras: Action- Reaction) (Flaws: Limited to Recording Devices, Limited to Crap-Ass Grainy Footage) [4]

"Unstoppable Rage"
Enhanced Strength 2 [4]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Raging +7 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11 (+13 Raging), Fortitude +11 (+13 Raging), Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Rage)- The Yeti finds it hard to calm down once he sets off on his rages. Only looking at pretty things can sometimes calm him.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 8 (133)

-The Yeti is a rarely-seen character who turned out to be an Inhuman who'd left Attilan and was unable to find its Himalayan home- he ends up being the basis for the legend of the wildman of the mountains. He faced the Fantastic Four, Havok & Polaris, and was retconned into being a member of the First Line in the 1950s, quitting the team in shame after losing his temper. He is unrelated to the Yeti that was a member of Weapon: PRIME.
Is this Yeti any relation to the Cold People and Ternak that Johnny later met and fought?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:41 pm Geez, I remember that mini-series,and I likely still have it lying around in a long box somewhere in storage...not a bad concept at all, though the books meandered a bit, and unfortunately having SO many characters meant not one of them got any real attention or character development. There were a couple others featured-Effigy was a main character, a Skrull who turned out to be a good guy (you know-like ALL of them besides the Super-Skrull and Paibok), Frank (maybe some version of the Monster, he pops up in an issue to battle Thor in a good guys vs. good guys bit), the feral Inhuman Yeti, Mr. Mercury (actually Makkari the Eternal), Morpho, an elastic hero, and probably half a dozen others I've forgotten. Also a bunch of retro villains, too.

TOTALLY ignored by every other Marvel editor and writer, and obviously rendered completely irrelevant by the passage of another twenty years and counting of the MU. Man, I know Byrne ended up having a reputation as being tough to work with and super-opinionated, but its hard to believe how fast his popularity fell in the industry. I mean, friggin' Rob Liefed still gets work at Marvel, but Byrne is persona non grata? I don't he's worked on anything major in at least a decade.

All my best.

PS: Oddly, I actually Flying Tiger might not be a salvageable journeyman villain-he just needs a costume redesign and an actual background/motivation; the kitty-kat mask and a spare Banshee costume dyed blue just don't cut it. But at least he's not goon #10,000 in power armor or bumped up by another "super-soldier variant" serum.
Ken's comment about the First Line, when I last posted them:
Ken wrote:The First Line characters weren't "doomed" to obscurity. They were INTENDED for obscurity. The whole point of them and the series was that these were the heroes that existed in the Gap, and why they weren't around after the Gap. The story had a whole "now it can be told" feel. It was a fun, stand alone, story set in a specific period of time. I don't think the characters were meant to be seen again, because part of the set-up of the story is that we already knew they weren't seen again.
Jabroniville

Re: The Yeti

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:52 pm

Is this Yeti any relation to the Cold People and Ternak that Johnny later met and fought?
Nope- different guy entirely.
Goldar

Re: Eightyfive

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:37 pm Image

EIGHTYFIVE
Created By:
Jim Valentino
First Appearance: Guardians of the Galaxy #3 (Aug. 1990)
Role: Space Thief
Group Affiliations: Force
PL 8 (103)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Space Thief) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Magnetic Control"
Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (Power Loss- Ferrous Materials) (23) -- [25]
  • AE: Move Object 8 (Flaws: Limited to Ferrous Materials) (8)
  • AE: Snare 8 (Power Loss- Ferrous Materials) (23)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- The members of Force are thieves, and admit to it.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 9 (103)

-Eightyfive was a pink Kree who was kept in a prison camp by the blue-skinned Kree, who were attempting to control their population- his people were named after their cellblocks, and so he is "Eightyfive". He immediately attacked the GOTG member Replica, as she was a Skrull, as that old racial hatred was still a thing in the 30th Century. The two deciding to ally in the end helped end the fight between Force & the Guardians.
I remember at the time there was something in a letters page about how we would be surprised to learn who Eight-five was related to in the MU. But I never heard any follow-up on that. Do you know anything about this?