Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

J'onn J'onzz

Post by Jabroniville »

J'ONN J'ONZZ (aka The Martian Manhunter, The Manhunter)
Created By:
Joseph Samachson & Joe Certa
First Appearance: Detective Comics #225 (Nov. 1955)
Role: The Stoic One, Swiss-Army Superhero, Shapeshifter, Flying Brick, Team Telepath, Master Control, Deadpan Guy
Voice Actor: Carl Lumbly
Finest Moment: Solving the Amazo battle just by allowing his Telepathic abilities to be copied.
PL 11 (246)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+10)
Deception 8 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+10)
Expertise (Current Events) 8 (+14)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 6 (+10)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Technology 6 (+12)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit (League Member), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Startle, Teamwork, Trance

Powers:
"Martian Physiology"
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
Shapeshifting 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (typical powers: Morph 3, Elongation 4, Reach on Strength-Damage, Snare 6) (33) -- [35]
  • Dynamic AE: Insubstantial 4 (Feats: Selective) Linked to Concealment 2 (Visuals) (25)
"Telepathy"
Communication (Mental) 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area, Selective) Linked to Mind-Reading 11 (47) -- [53]
  • Dynamic AE: Communication (Mental) 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area, Selective) Linked to Mind-Reading 11 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (46)
  • Dynamic AE: "Phasing Attack" Affliction 11 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Cumulative, Affects Corporeal) (34)
  • Dynamic AE: "Reach in and Grab Something" Damage 12 (Feats: Penetrating 6, Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Corporeal) (31)
Senses 2 (Mental Awareness, Ranged) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Phasing Attack +10 (+11 Affliction, DC 21)
Penetrating Attack +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +11, Fortitude +12, Will +10

Complications:
Responsibility (More Lonely Than You Could Possibly Imagine)- J'onn lost his wife and two children when Mars was attacked by another race. As a result, he spends a lot of time brooding, and doesn't communicate well with other people.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 58--19 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 105 / Defenses: 19 (246)

-J'onn was developed fairly early on as the kind of funny odd-duck of the series, an alien from a dead civilization who was often hiding away from others, doing weird things (taking a nap by standing up with his eyes dark), and making deadpan reactions to people (The Flash: "She wants me" J'onn: "INDEED"). He was kind of lovable in that sense as the ultimate outsider- cute bits like his Smallville vacation with Clark (where he awkwardly gets along with the Kents, apologizes for being odd, and unknowingly makes their Christmas with his Martian song), or darker parts like his reactions to the full-city sweep with his Telepathy (where he's disgusted by the selfishness of humanity).

-An outsider to the end, J'onn was seen on the Watchtower during most of JLU, getting a lot of lines, but never going down on missions- he simply told others what to do. It was he who booted Huntress out of the League for using team equipment to attempt to commit a murder, and controlled the teleporters and the like. He barely went down at all until the ends of the two seasons of JLU, which always drew out the Big Seven- the "Task Force X" episode probably made the biggest deal out of his powers, as he was the last "Heavy Hitter" left, and utterly wrecked the entire team when they fought him. He actually bailed on the League at one point, when he was called out for not really liking people all that much, and needing a break. Mister Terrific took over for him in the Watchtower, with J'onn only reappearing for the Series Finale, having taken human form and married a woman in China- he transforms back to fighting form and helps the League defeat the Apokoliptian invasion of Earth. "These are truly the END TIMES" suggests the Flash, when J'onn gives a loving goodbye to his wife over the phone.

-J'onn (NEVER called "The Martian Manhunter", to my knowledge- he's introduced to others using his full name) was handy in a fight, but not too much. He tended not to cause nearly as much damage as his comrades, he was more of a thinker, using his various other powers to aid the team. He was also a guy who could be Insubstantial... yet constantly got struck by attacks- I guess it took effort to maintain? His status was unfortunately much like his nature as DC's "Guy who gets his ass kicked by the villain first to showcase Superman's higher power". Yeah, in regular comics, he tends to get thumped A LOT to showcase Supes & Wonder Woman, since he's the B-League to their A-League. There was a bit less of that in his show (as they rarely focused on J'onn's strength- I had friends watching the show who had no idea he was Super-Strong despite watching several episodes), but it was still frequent. J'onn from being knocked down a LOT in the first season. It kinda got ridiculous for a bit- he was fragile as all Hell. Even taking out the Fire weakness, they made him get his ass kicked constantly.

-J'onn is the most expensive JLUer because of the sheer extent of his various powers. Even Alt-ing half of them off of each other (he can Shapeshift into various forms, do a Phase Attack, reach inside things and tear their parts out, or Phase through solid materials), in addition to his vast Abilities category (Strong, tough, smart AND wise). Thank God he isn't also a super detective in this version. He gets the standard "One PL lower than his buddies, but costs more in points" that Batman did. So J'onn's arguably less use in a fight than most of the other Big Seven, but he makes up for it in sheer versatility and side-effects. Who else could disguise himself as the enemy villain for hours? Or beat the entire Suicide Squad with ease, within seconds? Or make himself look like the wall?

About the Performer: Carl Lumbly is best known for playing Det. Marcus Petrie on "Cagney & Lacey", and CIA Agent Marcus Dixon on "Alias". Getting small roles otherwise, he moved on to voice acting, with J'onn being his biggest recurring role.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirrelly-sama

Re: J'onn J'onzz

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:15 pmShapeshifting 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (typical powers: Morph 3, Elongation 4, Reach on Strength-Damage, Snare 6) (33) -- [35]
I think you got your math a little wrong here
4 ranks of move action Variable is just 20pp to use. The morph, elongation, and one rank of reach (why that last one?) comes out to 20pp so the Snare puts it over costs.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Suicide Squad! Captain Marvel! Stargirl! J'onn J'onzz!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Those are all “typical powers”, not ones he uses all at once. Also, I think Shapeshift is 8pp/rank.
Jabroniville

Weather Wizard

Post by Jabroniville »

Truly the most dynamic of all costumes...

WEATHER WIZARD (Mark Mardon)
Created By:
John Broome & Carmine Infantino
First Appearance: The Flash #110 (Dec. 1959)
Role: Weather Manipulator, Background Villain
Voice Actor: Miguel Ferrer, Corey Burton
Finest Moment: Created a pretty big honkin' storm.
PL 10 (112)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal Extortionist) 5 (+7)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Weather) 2 (+10)
Technology 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Weather), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Weather Wand" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [33]
"Wind-Rider" Flight 5 (60 mph) (10)
Senses 5 (Detect Weather- Ranged, Acute & Accurate) (5)

"Lightning Bolt" Damage 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (30) -- (49)
  • Dynamic AE: "Tornado #1" Blast 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: 30ft. Burst) (30)
  • Dynamic AE: "Tornado #2" Blast 10 (Extras: 30ft. Cylinder) (30)
  • Dynamic AE: "Lightning Blast" Blast 10 (Feats: Indirect 1- From Above) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: "Weather Effects" Environment 5 (500 feet) (Cold, Impede Movement 2, Light, Visibility) (25)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind Storm" Affliction 10 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (10)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind Burst" Affliction 10 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (10)
  • Dynamic AE: "Ice Storm" Snare 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (30)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind Creation" Move Object 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (28)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind" Features 2 (-2 Thrown Weapons, snuffing flames, etc.) (3)
  • Dynamic AE: "Blinding Fog" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Attack, Area- 240ft. Burst +4, Selective) (17)
-- (54 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Lightning Bolt/Tornado +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Lightning Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Wind Storms +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Enemy (Superman, The Flash)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 17 (112)

-Weather Wizard's another goofily-named Flash villain, but he's quite original, and may be the first weather-controller character in comics. He's powerful (especially in the comics- he's one of the most powerful "normal" Rogues who don't access the Speed Force), but only showed up briefly in Justice League, fighting on the "Superman Revenge Squad". He can detect "pressure systems" (essentially Accurate Ranged Weather Detection) and use various Storm-Lite powers, but they're limited to a wand that he has to carry. Disarm the Wand, and the Wizard's screwed.

About the Performer: Weather Wizard was initially played by the late Miguel Ferrer, who I detailed as the voice of Shan Yu in Disney's "Mulan". He played Weatherman in the failed "Justice League of America" pilot, which may be why the "Superman" creators cast him as Weather Wizard. His name is also the basis for his friend Peter David's creation, Spider-Man 2099. In a later appearance on "JLU", W.W. was voiced by Corey Burton, the voice of Brainiac.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

when he was called out for not really liking people all that much, and needing a break. Mister Terrific took over for him in the Watchtower, with J'onn only reappearing for the Series Finale, having taken human form and married a woman in China- he transforms back to fighting form and helps the League defeat the Apokoliptian invasion of Earth.
That moment was for me one of the coolest. he runs forward saying Im here to help and Wonder Woman says stay back only for this little Asian man to promptly Lay into some parademons in a display of raw strength that has Dianas Hera to come off as Holy S**t!!.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Does J'onn J'onzz have telekinesis?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Goldar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:25 am Does J'onn J'onzz have telekinesis?
Not in most media, though he did in both The Batman and Young Justice animated series.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Waiting for when I've got a little more free time for my Cap rant, but until then, I think Jab might have low-balled J'onn and STRIPES here.

J'onn tended to get less play on his raw physical abilities than Superman or Wonder Woman, but during a fight where both Supes and J'onn were fighting Grundy, Clark mentions something to the effect of "Grundy's as strong as we are, but he can't fly", right before they both throw Grundy up into the air and out to sea. J'onn was also able to give the Annihilator a decent fight once he recovered from the sucker punch, and his Justice Lords counterpart was making some fairly solid headway against Doomsday before fire got involved. He probably deserves to be a PL 12, with his role as the guy most often being mission control preventing him from being too much of a game breaker. Though me personally, I prefer that J'onn's base stats are lower than Superman (being more of a Class 80 guy to Clark's Class 100), but J'onn can use shape shifting and density control to give himself Superman strength and toughness, but he loses out on all of the other options his shape shifting gives him.

Glad they didn't give J'onn heat vision in the show. That always seemed like a stupid power, like Superman being able to shoot Kryptonite out of his eyes.

They also did refer to J'onn as the Martian Manhunter at least once, during "Task Force X", the Clock King referred to him as such. Likewise, any member of the League that didn't know him as well as the original Leaguers would frequently refer to him as "The Martian". It also might just be because I listened to an audiobook of "The Never Ending Battle", but I could swear a few Leaguers occasionally called J'onn "The Manhunter".

As for STRIPES (I refuse to type those periods as well), the suit seemed pretty decent in the three episodes I've seen lately. It was perfectly fine against the Darkheart, it worked well against the Ultimen invasion in Panic in the Sky, and Pat was the only guy who was actually slugging it out briefly with the General during Patriot Act. Now, Pat only held his own very briefly and Eiling quickly established an edge, but it's clear Pat's suit doesn't have all of the bells and whistles Iron Man's does. It makes Pat strong, tough, he can fly and he's got some energy blasts, and that's more or less it. If Iron Man was limited to those weapons, I'd expect a fight between him and the Hulk where Tony tries to trade punches and energy blasts would go very similar.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

As for the Flash Rogues, I never really found their names all that silly. Captain Cold, Weather Wizard, Captain Boomerang and Mirror Master really aren't any worst names than Doctor Octopus, the Green Goblin, Mysterio, Electro, Hydro-Man, etc. Gimmick wise they wouldn't really be out of place amongst Peter's villains either.

The nice thing about the Flash Rogues is that they are basically Blue Collar supervillains. They aren't in this to take over the world or get revenge, they're solely out to get rich, and maybe have some fun while they do it. They have a strict policy against killing civilians, police or superheroes because they don't want to do anything that will get them heavy prison sentences. Whenever they show up, it's less of a "I must stop this person from destroying the city" and more of a supervillain heist adventure. They're sort of like the less crazy Batman villains like Catwoman, the Riddler or the like: it's about figuring out what their scheme is and stopping them.

The Rogue's were also fun because, when done right, they were an example of how creative supervillains had to be against a more powerful opponent. Weather Wizard was really one of the few guys who could reasonably stand up to the Flash, Captain Cold's gun was designed specifically to slow the Flash down (rather than create ice, it actually creates 'cold' by slowing down molecules), but guys like Captain Boomerang had to be the Green Arrow of thrown weapons to hold his own, and the Mirror Master was basically Mysterio but with lasers and teleportation.

Overall, the Rogue's are a solid bunch of bad guys.

Jabroniville

Static

Post by Jabroniville »

STATIC (Virgil Ovid Hawkins)
Created By:
Dwayne McDuffie & John Paul Leon
First Appearance: Static #1 (June 1993)
Role: Peter Parker Hero, Electrical Blaster
Voice Actor: Phil LaMarr
Finest Moment: Unknown (didn't watch his series)
PL 9 (147)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Powers) 2 (+9)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 4 (+8)
Vehicles 1 (+2)

Advantages:
Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blast), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Super-Conductor Electromagnetism"
"Electrical Cages & Nets" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Concentration) (Diminished Range -1) (27) -- [33]
  • AE: Blast 9 (Feats: Split) (19)
  • AE: Move Object 8 (Flaws: Limited to Metallic Objects) (8)
  • AE: "Taser Punch" Affliction 9 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative) (18)
  • AE: "Ball Lightning" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Diminished Range -1) (23.5)
  • AE: "Shockwave Force Field" Force Field 5 (5)
  • AE: Communication (Radio) 2 (Extras: Area, Selective) (14)
"Static Cling" Affliction 5 (Strength; Impaired & Vulnerable/Immobile & Prone) (Extras: Extra Condition, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) [15]
"Magnetized Floating Saucer" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Platform) (Quirks: Requires Metals -2) [3]
Senses 4 (Detect Electricity, Acute, Ranged, Radio) [4]
Immunity 10 (Mental Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Blast +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Cages & Nets +9 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Taser Punch +7 (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Ball Lightning +9 Area (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+8 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Power Loss/Side-Effect (Electrical Power)- If Static uses too much of his power at once, he will slowly fatigue himself, and drop in power.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 17 (147)

-Static was one of the big names of Milestone Media's "black superheroes" comic book company, and was quite popular for a while until the company folded. Unexpectedly, he got a TV series in the 2000s- running concurrently with Justice League, he even got to cross over with them! I only ever saw a couple episodes and found it pretty generic, but some people seemed to like it. His book in the NuDCU "52" relaunch died a horrible death, being one of the first six comics cancelled (which means they were the lowest-sellers)- that, and a mediocre run on Teen Titans, pretty much just killed the character. Here's my attempt at building the cartoon version, in any case.

-Static actually has a pretty cool set of powers, from Shapeable Damage to Ball Lightning to Taser Punches. Electrical Powers are a pretty cool way to get a lot of unique Effects or Power Stunts, and he even sorta flies around on his little Metal Disc.

About the Performer: Static shared a VA with Green Lantern and some other black guys on the show.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:31 am The nice thing about the Flash Rogues is that they are basically Blue Collar supervillains. They aren't in this to take over the world or get revenge, they're solely out to get rich, and maybe have some fun while they do it. They have a strict policy against killing civilians, police or superheroes because they don't want to do anything that will get them heavy prison sentences. Whenever they show up, it's less of a "I must stop this person from destroying the city" and more of a supervillain heist adventure. They're sort of like the less crazy Batman villains like Catwoman, the Riddler or the like: it's about figuring out what their scheme is and stopping them.
Freedom City has a parallel, the "Thieve's Guild", which often opposes Johnny Rocket. Back when I was posting a Time of Crisis game, I criticized how they were all pretty brilliant people, sporting +15 bonuses on Technology for the most part, but that they used those gifts to build gimmick weapons and rob casinos. And it was pointed out to me that this is The Flash's Rogue's Gallery and their modus operandi.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Static was my favorite Milestone hero along with Icon, and I've watched both his TV series and read a good chunk of his comic. He would have made a solid addition to the DCU as a whole, but they kept screwing up his introductions to the setting.

Static's finest moment with relevance to the DCAU was probably his crossover with the Justice League, where he had to fight a mind controlled Justice League (minus Superman and Wonder Woman). Brainiac was using these portable mind control discs to control the heroes, but Static's powers made him immune and burnt out the device. He managed to do the classic "be creative and clever to free the heroes without really clobbering them" schtick and managed to effectively beat all of the heroes . . . until he fights Green Lantern. The two get into a power beam struggle and it's made very clear that while Static is powerful, he's a rookie hero with an average power level (he could easily be a PL 10 later in his career and a PL 11 as an adult, just like Spider-Man), and Green Lantern is arguably the most powerful energy manipulating hero in the DCAU. A brief struggle follows where Static strains with everything he's got against John . . . and John just Red Tornado's Static by upping the power and sending him flying. Thankfully Static got clever again and managed to free John as well.

Though as cool that is, something just as cool was during the initial DCAU crossover with Batman, where Static was helping Batman deal with the Joker. The Joker was under some debris, begging for help, clearly expecting Batman to save him. When he felt a hand grab him, the Joker said "PSYCHE!" (oh the 90s) and tried to taser "Batman" with his 1000 volt joybuzzer trick. Only it wasn't Batman, it was Static, who just smiled and absorbed the electricity without any discomfort. The Joker just goes "Oh pooh" as Static says, "Let me see if I can put a new spin that old joke" and then proceeds to electrocute the Joker via his superpowers.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:32 am
Ares wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:31 am The nice thing about the Flash Rogues is that they are basically Blue Collar supervillains. They aren't in this to take over the world or get revenge, they're solely out to get rich, and maybe have some fun while they do it. They have a strict policy against killing civilians, police or superheroes because they don't want to do anything that will get them heavy prison sentences. Whenever they show up, it's less of a "I must stop this person from destroying the city" and more of a supervillain heist adventure. They're sort of like the less crazy Batman villains like Catwoman, the Riddler or the like: it's about figuring out what their scheme is and stopping them.
Freedom City has a parallel, the "Thieve's Guild", which often opposes Johnny Rocket. Back when I was posting a Time of Crisis game, I criticized how they were all pretty brilliant people, sporting +15 bonuses on Technology for the most part, but that they used those gifts to build gimmick weapons and rob casinos. And it was pointed out to me that this is The Flash's Rogue's Gallery and their modus operandi.
Yup, in theory these both the Rogues and the Thieve's Guild could make a sizable fortune through legitimate means. But it would mean doing things like filing paperwork, starting up a company, hoping your inventions don't fall under some kind of government oversight, avoid getting screwed over by larger corporations either through espionage or lobbying, sitting behind a desk to manage the company, etc. Basically, it's a lot of dull, boring stuff that equates to playing by the rules with no guarantee of success. Using it for crime is at least having some fun, letting them vent their frustrations at society, and lets them indulge in their petty, selfish ambitions and worst personality traits.

Because as much as we'd like to think some guy with superpowers would immediately go into business and make money legitimately, someone deciding to just use their powers to rob banks or on get rich schemes is frankly very realistic.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:31 am As for the Flash Rogues, I never really found their names all that silly. Captain Cold, Weather Wizard, Captain Boomerang and Mirror Master really aren't any worst names than Doctor Octopus, the Green Goblin, Mysterio, Electro, Hydro-Man, etc. Gimmick wise they wouldn't really be out of place amongst Peter's villains either.
My take on "Something + O" names is quite clear and consistent, but "Weather Wizard" is one of the dumbest names I've EVER heard. "Captain Cold" isn't much better. I think they're just soooooo bad.
As for STRIPES (I refuse to type those periods as well), the suit seemed pretty decent in the three episodes I've seen lately. It was perfectly fine against the Darkheart, it worked well against the Ultimen invasion in Panic in the Sky, and Pat was the only guy who was actually slugging it out briefly with the General during Patriot Act. Now, Pat only held his own very briefly and Eiling quickly established an edge, but it's clear Pat's suit doesn't have all of the bells and whistles Iron Man's does. It makes Pat strong, tough, he can fly and he's got some energy blasts, and that's more or less it. If Iron Man was limited to those weapons, I'd expect a fight between him and the Hulk where Tony tries to trade punches and energy blasts would go very similar.
Well, he's PL 9, which is perfectly okay for "Goes a few rounds with PL 11-12 General Eiling and gets curbstomped eventually" and "can beat Mooks". I mean, the Dark Heart things and Ultimen situations barely count as "showings", given the most adamantine of all rules in action-based fiction is "the more of an enemy there are, the easier any individual is to defeat".
J'onn tended to get less play on his raw physical abilities than Superman or Wonder Woman, but during a fight where both Supes and J'onn were fighting Grundy, Clark mentions something to the effect of "Grundy's as strong as we are, but he can't fly", right before they both throw Grundy up into the air and out to sea. J'onn was also able to give the Annihilator a decent fight once he recovered from the sucker punch, and his Justice Lords counterpart was making some fairly solid headway against Doomsday before fire got involved. He probably deserves to be a PL 12, with his role as the guy most often being mission control preventing him from being too much of a game breaker. Though me personally, I prefer that J'onn's base stats are lower than Superman (being more of a Class 80 guy to Clark's Class 100), but J'onn can use shape shifting and density control to give himself Superman strength and toughness, but he loses out on all of the other options his shape shifting gives him.
J'onn came off like Superman but without the occasional "Good Showings" to me. Superman took out the big names solo. Wonder Woman took out the most enemy mooks. J'onn got neither.
Jabroniville

Goldface

Post by Jabroniville »

GOLDFACE (Keith Kenyon)
Created By:
Gil Kane
First Appearance: Green Lantern #38 (Summer 1965)
Role: Background Villain
Voice Actor: Lex Lang
Finest Moment: Turned two talking gorillas into gold statues
PL 9 (122)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+7)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+9)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Technology 6 (+9)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Guns), Inventor, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Golden Body" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 5) [7]
"Transform to Gold" Affliction 10 (Fort; Hindered & Impaired Vision/Defenseless & Disabled Vision/Transformed to Gold & Unaware) (Extras: Extra Condition) [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Transform +8 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 7 (122)

-Y'know how you can tell JLU was an awesome show? Because it even has JOBBERS in it! Goldface here had a couple background scenes, and a few lines of spoken dialogue, generally being petulant towards Luthor in his "Secret Society" (he paid for it- Lex had his facemask wired, and burned him badly). The comics Goldface is another Super-Scientist With One Gimmick, and the show keeps some of his superior strength and toughness, but also gives him a Midas-like "Golden Touch", turning a couple denizens of Gorilla City into golden statues. Presumably the effect isn't permanent, but who knows? He was killed along with most of Grodd's side in the Series Finale of the show.