Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Future Man! Futurist! The Drug Lords! Darkhawk!)

Post by Woodclaw »

M4C8 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:18 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:03 am

Given that, there was a precedent for DH'a wonky new powers. As Jab briefly mentioned, during the final stretch of his solo series, after discovering many elements about his alien counterpart, Darkhawk obtained an "evolved form" of his original android body with enhanced powers. The new version could fly under his own power (whereas the first version tended to glide), had a much more powerful force field, could fire heat beams from the visor, turn invisible, self-repair on the field and so on. Unfortunately, this version was featured so little that by DH's next appearance he was switched back to his original design and even the likes of Busiek and Perez went for the classic version.
I liked the 'evolved form', it's the form the character had when I first read a comic featuring him (it was team up with Spider-Man, Nova and Speedball IIRC). Everytime I see him drawn wearing what looks like an earlier model it kind of dissapoints me, I never liked the wings, the box shaped helmet etc. The more modern designs are slightly better in that they seem to combine aspects of both (the look of the evolved armour with the wings of the earlier designs)

Also despite the whole 'everything you know was a lie' retcon, the character Portal is still active.
I remember that event, it involved some alien crystals that created what I can only define as "off-brand X-Men".
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:22 pm
M4C8 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:18 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:03 am

Given that, there was a precedent for DH'a wonky new powers. As Jab briefly mentioned, during the final stretch of his solo series, after discovering many elements about his alien counterpart, Darkhawk obtained an "evolved form" of his original android body with enhanced powers. The new version could fly under his own power (whereas the first version tended to glide), had a much more powerful force field, could fire heat beams from the visor, turn invisible, self-repair on the field and so on. Unfortunately, this version was featured so little that by DH's next appearance he was switched back to his original design and even the likes of Busiek and Perez went for the classic version.
I liked the 'evolved form', it's the form the character had when I first read a comic featuring him (it was team up with Spider-Man, Nova and Speedball IIRC). Everytime I see him drawn wearing what looks like an earlier model it kind of dissapoints me, I never liked the wings, the box shaped helmet etc. The more modern designs are slightly better in that they seem to combine aspects of both (the look of the evolved armour with the wings of the earlier designs)

Also despite the whole 'everything you know was a lie' retcon, the character Portal is still active.
I remember that event, it involved some alien crystals that created what I can only define as "off-brand X-Men".
Yep, they were called 'The Metahumes'
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

My Portal build, from March of last year, for reference: https://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/v ... 729#p73729
Jabroniville

Cuda

Post by Jabroniville »

*gives villain catfish-like barbels on his face. names him after a barracuda.*

CUDA (Stuart Sarris)
Created By:
Danny Fingeroth & Tod Smith
First Appearance: Darkhawk #33 (Nov. 1993)
Role: Animalistic Foe, Unfortunate Scientist
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (98)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Technology 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Equipment 4 (Gear- Energy Blade, Grenades), Fast Grab

Powers:
"Aquatic Physiology"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Swimming 6 [6]
Immunity 2 (Drowning, Pressure) [2]

"Face & Back Tentacles" Extra Limbs 6 [6]
Power-Lifting 2 (12 tons) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Energy Blade +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Grenades +6 Area (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Animalistic Monster)- Cuda cannot pass for an ordinary human.
Enemy (Riverco)- His old company poisoned and transformed him once he began speaking out against their polluting ways.
Weakness (Leaving the New York Harbors)- As his research was focused around New York's harbor system, his poisoned "cure" turned him into a creature who needed it to live.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 9 (98)

-The monstrous 'Cuda was actually a research scientist who had created some stuff that would ensure his company wouldn't need to polute anymore- given that they're corporate D-Bags, they decided it'd be cheaper to use his work to HIDE their pollution, and when he publicly spoke out against him, they had him poisoned. He was mutated into a monster that needed the exact chemical composition of the New York harbor system to live, and thus he became an outcast. He gained Darkhawk's attention when he began attacking ships to prevent anything else from coming in and altering the environment around him, but he escaped twice after nearly drowning the hero. Darkhawk then learned Cuda's origins and managed to overpower him, and helpfully told the police how to hold him in captivity. Whether or not Riverco was ever punished, we'll never know, I guess.

-Cuda is a standard-issue Animalistic Foe, though smarter than average (he built the very gear he used in battle), and able to tangle with Darkhawk a few times before being caught. Standard "New Villain Stink" can push him up higher.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spam

Re: Cuda

Post by Spam »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:30 am Image

*gives villain catfish-like barbels on his face. names him after a barracuda.*

CUDA (Stuart Sarris)

Also missed another opportunity by not making his actual name Barry.
Jabroniville

LOL

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay, so this next guy was actually sorta build for my "1993 Annuals" set, but there was little information about him, and the build was thus half-formed. Now, he actually has a Marvunapp page, so I was able to grab his stats!

The original build: https://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/v ... 039#p48039

(And yes, turns out the Marvunapp page was created in early 2019, and this build was from 2018. And yes, I did this whole build forgetting that I'd already done this other one, which is like twice that's happened in this set. Damn the New Warriors and their forgettable characters, lol. Or my senility. I dunno)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Dreamkiller

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL, way to give your best effort with the design, guys! Also, how is that name NOT given to a Sleepwalker foe?

DREAMKILLER (Alex Tennyson)
Created By:
Danny Fingeroth & Aaron Loprestie
First Appearance: Darkhawk Annual #2 (1993)
Role: Forgotten Villain
PL 8 (120)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Living Astral Form"
Insubstantial 4 [20]
"Air Walking" Flight 1 (Flaws: Limited to Walking) [1]
Energy Blast 8 (Feats: Accurate 2) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Energy Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Vulnerable (Object of Power)- Dreamkiller is functional only because Alex Tennyson wields the Object of Power- should he lose it or be otherwise indisposed, Dreamkiller has no corporeal existence. Tennyson can also summon Dreamkiller back to him at any time.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 8 (120)

1993 saw the production of a series of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-Alex Tennyson was a foe who appeared in the second Darkhawk Annual, shown as a man with an obsession with the supernatural- having studied Dr. Strange & Baron Mordo, he grabbed an "Object of Power" that had been seen in Ghost Rider, and used it to animate an image of his astral form called "Dreamkiller". He beat on his ex-wife's new husband, but when his son arrived to witness the scene, Dreamkiller apologized and left, fighting Darkhawk and easily escaping him after a fight, largely because his desire for violence was sated. Tracking Tennyson to his workplace after following tips from someone who he'd bothered for more magical gear (Darkhawk had recognized the Object of Power and followed up on it), Darkhawk fought Dreamkiller again and actually took Tennyson hostage- an usual counter for a super-hero. Police tear-gas caused enough of a distraction for Dreamkiller to leave, and he escaped with Tennyson.

-Unusually, Dreamkiller reappeared in the NEXT Darkhawk Annual, in which the hero defeated him by causing electrical wires to hit some water, electrocuting the villain. The Vault's Guardsmen arrested him with special gear, but he was immediately sprung by Damek the Earth-Shaker, sent from the future to redeem Tennyson (... for some reason). The two teamed up against Darkhawk, but Damek was soon disgusted when Dreamkiller put innocents in harm's way, and realized the error of his ways. The two quickly teamed up and defeated Dreamkiller, and Darkhawk also captured a furious Tennyson- the Object of Power was taken from him. The character never reappeared.

-Dreamkiller was a fairly generic Brick who could go Insubstantial, making him a bit tricky to bring down and defeat, but he's still altogether basic. He's effectively a "Summon" that comes from the Object of Power, and would cost a pretty penny (8 ranks, Heroic, Controlled, Active, etc.).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Damek

Post by Jabroniville »

DAMEK THE EARTH-SHAKER
Created By:
Danny Fingeroth & Steve Ellis
First Appearance: Darkhawk Annual #3 (1994)
Role: Misguided Foe
PL 8 (99)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+6)
Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Earth Staff" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [24]
"Fly on Rock Platforms" Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Platform) (Quirks: Requires Ground/Earth) (5)

"Earthquake" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (32) -- (35)
  • AE: "Rock Blast" Blast 9 (Quirks: Requires Ground/Earth) (17)
  • AE: "Stab With Staff" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (3)
  • AE: "Move Stone" Move Object 9 (Flaws: Limited to Earth) (9)
-- (40 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Earthquake +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Rock Blast +7 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Staff Stab +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Redeeming the Tennyson Name)- For unknown reasons, Damek wishes to redeem the name of Darkhawk's enemy, the evil Dreamkiller.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 12 (99)

-Damek was introduced in a Darkhawk Annual, and comes from the end of the 21st Century, with the asinine mission to redeem the name of Alex Tennyson- the super-villainous Dreamkiller. Fighting Chris Powell & Darkhawk (who were separated at this point), he is bluffed by Chris claiming to have great powers, but escapes. He recruits the actual Dreamkiller for a second go at Darkhawk, but is disgusted when he threatens the powerless Chris and realizes that his mission is in vain. He teams with Darkhawk to defeat Dreamkiller, then refuses the time travel platform to return him to his own timeline, thus staying in the present. His only other appearance is in Darkhawk #50, performing in Madison Square Garden using his powers, but he allies with Darkhawk and several other heroes to fight an alien invasion. Given his stupid-ass origin story (like, why is there a group of people in the future out to redeem a known villain? They apparently never explain this, nor Damek's relationship with him), he'll probably never reappear in a significant manner.

-Damek wields an earth-controlling staff that gives him Geokinetic powers. Given his small number of appearances and several unexplained things (why is he green? he's huge, but is he super-strong?), the build ends up being pretty cheap and simple.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

That is definitely an..odd motivation. Though it'd be kinda neat if it was a Bill & Ted situation (Alex is somehow important to having his future happen)
Jabroniville

The Peristrike Force

Post by Jabroniville »

THE PERISTRIKE FORCE
Created By:
Danny Fingeroth & Mike Manley
First Appearance: Darkhawk #16 (June 1992)
Role: Soviet Strike Force

-The Peristrike Force (named for "Perestroika"... which is the name given to the Soviet governmental restructuring as part of Mikhail Gorbachev's "Glasnost" policy of openness to the west, and is seen as one of the many instigators of the fall of the Soviet Union- they chose it because it'd sound cool to the West) was another Soviet Government Team, apparently running alongside the Soviet Super-Soldiers (aka the People's Protectorate). However, with the fall of the Soviet Union, they changed themselves into anti-government terrorists, fighting the new policies and democratic Russia. This would be HYPER-current at the time, with the Soviet Union having dissolved in the very early '90s, so this is almost TOO modern for the time- detailing news as it was actively happening.

-The Peristrike Force appeared over three issues of Darkhawk, acting as "agents of change" and kidnapping a Russian scientist who was then under FBI protection. Their mission: to force him to create new superhumans for their army. They fought Darkhawk in a long back & forth struggle, but Psi-Wolf took control of his mind and made their escape, pretending that the hero had defeated them and they were being "arrested". He managed to get away from them, and infiltrated their getaway vehicle as Chris Powell, then attacked once more. Darkhawk eventually defeated all four of the Force, but the Doctor died in the battle, encased in Siberion's ice.

The Roster:
Scattershot- Field leade with Plasma Blasts.
Psi-Wolf- Psionic.
Siberion- Ice powers.
Volga- Transforms into a monster.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Hahaha, oh wow. I've been vaguely aware of these guys, so looking forward to seeing what their deal is.
Jabroniville

Psi-Wolf

Post by Jabroniville »

PSI-WOLF (Nikolai Vonya)
Created By:
Role: Anti-Democratic Terrorist, Psionic
Group Affiliations: The Peristrike Force
PL 8 (110)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3/5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Terrorist) 6 (+8)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Giant Cyborg"
Enhanced Stamina 2 [4]
Protection 1 [1]

Mind Control 8 (Flaws: Limited to One Target) (24) -- [26]
  • AE: "Gun Attachment" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18)
  • AE: "Sonic Gun Attachment" Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Mind Control -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Gun Attachment +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Sonic Gun +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Overthrowing Russia)- The Peristrike Force wish to overthrow Russia's new democratically-elected government and install a new dictator.
Power Loss (Mind Control)- Psi-Wolf's powers will not work on his brother for some reason. Whether this is because of the old "A mutant's powers don't work on his relative" thing, or because of Professor Vonya's technological acumen (he created and trained the Peristrike Force), is unknown.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 11 (110)

-Psi-Wolf has a more personal stake in the Peristrike Force's mission: their target, Professor Vonya, is his brother. The most Iron Age-y of their team, he has the full assortment of cliches- he's a seven-foot cyborg with guns attached to his body. I'm not sure how he was beaten, but he seemed particularly annoyed at his brother for betraying the "agents of change", and didn't seem to relish being forced to act.

-Psi-Wolf is a Mind Controller, but he can only control one victim at a time, possessing Darkhawk and forcing him to act as their "arresting officer", which covered their mistake.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Scattershot

Post by Jabroniville »

SCATTERSHOT (Natalya)
Created By:
Role: Anti-Democratic Terrorist
PL 7 (94)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+7)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+7)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
Plasma Blast 7 (Feats: Split) [15]

Offense:
Plasma Blast +7 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Overthrowing Russia)- The Peristrike Force wish to overthrow Russia's new democratically-elected government and install a new dictator.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 10 (94)

-The Peristrike Force's field leader, Scattershot has one of the more "Iron Age" codenames of the group. A vicious, nasty woman, she had been helped by Dr. Vonya in the past, but now enjoys watching him dance as she blasts at his feet. She also attempts to execute Chris Powell's girlfriend when she publicly admonishes the group for kidnapping the Doctor, which is what gets Darkhawk directly involved during an active hostage situation. She blasts him away when the group escapes, but in their second fight, lets a human Chris Powell get too close, and is knocked out when he transforms back into Darkhawk and charges the group.

-Scattershot seems to shoot some kind of Plasma Blast of unknown power- it's seen blasting Darkhawk out of a helicopter, but not disabling him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Siberion

Post by Jabroniville »

SIBERION (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Role: Anti-Democratic Terrorist
PL 7 (115)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment (Huge Suit), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Ice Powers"
Snare 6 Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Limited to -1 Per Round) [36]

Offense:
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+6 Suit), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 10 (115)

-Siberion is very large, wearing a big, faceless armored suit for some reason, and shoots ice. The reasons behind this are unexplained. He attempted to kill the unarmored Chris Powell when he drove a food truck into the tarmac where their getaway vehicle was, but was headbutted by the Peristrike Force's target, who was accidentally encased in ice as a result. Darkhawk managed to defeat the group, but the unfortunate Doctor Vonya died before Chris could save him from the ice.

-Siberion is presumably more durable than his partners, and shoots an Ice Beam that is apparently more dangerous than regular ice, in that it acts more or less like how being encased in ice would REALLY work- sub-zero temperatures like that are quite a lot more dangerous than the simple snares they usually are in comics, which typically don't want the heroes to kill their foes or cause irreparable cell damage.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Arkrite

Re: Darkhawk

Post by Arkrite »

Ah Darkhawk. My own personal Red Guardian.

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:28 am Responsibility (Anger)- Chris Powell's Amulet was not designed to work with human beings. As a result, he often has intense anger issues.
This always made me both amused and annoyed.
Chris had some anger issues, and for some inexplicable reason they decided it was related to the superpowers... instead of the crap he was dealing with in his day to day life?
Did nobody read the comic before writing- oh who am I kidding, nobody read the comic.

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:28 am and ends up finding a mysterious amulet that transforms him into Darkhawk- a superpowered flying guy with Edgelord aspects (claws, razor-edged wings, a mask that obscures his face)
The first time he transforms he feels the need to give himself a name and refers to himself as "Edge-Man!" ;~)
I can't make this stuff up!

I kind of enjoyed the Darkhawk series because I could relate to having troubles at home, troubles at work, feeling like an outsider, being angry.
And the amulet was a power source that made me think "Hey, I could do this."
I mean, I'm not super smart, super fast, extra talented, am worthy of the powers of Thor, or come from some other planet and earn powers from the sun.
But I could pick up an amulet and transform into a superhero. And being able to heal after I screw up? Because I would screw up. Repeatedly.
Like non-stop ;~)

Eh, I know the series was a massive failure, but then that's my life.
If I enjoy it, it gets canceled. If I dislike it? It makes MILLIONS! :lol:

I was excited when they said they were bringing Darkhawk back, but the Fraternity of Raptors didn't work for me.
For starters the name is terrible, too long, and doesn't seem really impressive.
And then for some reason huge retcon of the origin, the writer pulling a "it was all a dream" nonsense, and suddenly the Darkhawk armor can do anime upgrades in midbattle.

Yup. For the people who liked Darkhawk (So... just me?) this was insulting. And sadly the new direction they went didn't really catch my attention or make me care about where they wanted to go. And that seemed to be the general consensus.

As much as I'd love Darkhawk to come back, I don't think it's going to happen again for some time, and when it does I don't have high hopes on it being any good.
At this point they'd really need to put him into a team series and try to build it up there, but the last time they tried that they ended the Nova series :~P