Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Jab's Builds! (Chaos! Blizzard! Slashfang! Necrosan! Gargoyles!)

Post by Goldar »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:21 pm
Spectrum wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:03 am So.. most people know the 80s action sci fi movie

A lot of the time, they think of this guy

Mr "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Fewer people think of his partner:

Yeah, that's Keith David. That's the guy that played Goliath. That's the guy with the incredible voice.

That's the guy that has been in Marvel's New Warriors, Greenleaf, Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, Rick and Morty, The Flash, Young Justice and many many more. IMDB has 283 acting credits for him since 1979.

Yeah, that's the guy.
Piper also put him over in an interview about being awesome. That Keith was not only a big guy, but due to years of dance he was also remarkably agile and light on his feet.
One of my favorite movies!
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Slashfang! Necrosan! Goliath! Brooklyn! Broadway!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:50 pm Broadway also canonically ended up with Goliath's daughter, Angela.
I put that in his Complications :).
Jabroniville

Hudson

Post by Jabroniville »

HUDSON
Played By:
Ed Asner
Role: The Consigliere, The Old Soldier, The Sarcastic Guy
PL 8 (130)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 5 (+6)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+10)
Expertise (Warrior) 10 (+12)
Expertise (History) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 2 (+4)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Investigation 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Assessment, Daze (Intimidation), Equipment (Sword), Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Airborne), Fearless, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Smash, Quick Draw, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Startle, Takedown, Teamwork, Tracking, Weapon Bind

Powers:
"Gargoyle Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (Quirks: Gliders) [3]
"Defenders of the Night" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Healing At Night" Regeneration 4 (Flaws: Limited to During the Stone-Sleep) [2]
"Long Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

"Piercing Claws"
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Equipment:
"Sword" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Penetrating 4) (5)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Sword +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Stone By Day)- All Gargoyles are forced into a stone "hibernation" during the day- they will become unaware of their surroundings and immobile during this time, and are incredibly vulnerable. As a bonus, they appear to be harmless stone statues (which almost never go noticed by people as odd).
Disabled ("I'm getting too old for this...")- Though he is still a mighty warrior ("there are YEARS of fighting left for you!"), Hudson is old. Despite his great strength, Hudson will rapidly tire if using the maximum of his abilities. The longer the fight goes, the more his abilities will fade. The only way to avert this is to use the Sword, which allows his tired fists to rest.
Reputation ("The old one")- Hudson is often underestimated and written-off by more youthful, powerful foes due to his age. However, it HAS given him the gift of patience (something the MUCH older Demona has never learned).
Responsibility (Last of Their Kind)- Hudson and The Manhattan Clan are among the last Gargoyles alive (a list that happily grows larger over time).
Responsibility (The Manhattan Clan)- Clans are Serious Business to Gargoyles. Mess with one, you mess with them all. As the advisor to the Clan's Leader (be it Goliath or Brooklyn), Hudson has many responsibilities.
Prejudice (Monster)- Gargoyles are very frightening to human beings.
Disabled (Illiterate)- For a long period of time, Hudson was illiterate. The fact "shamed" him.
Disabled (Blind in One Guy)- Hudson's left eye has turned scarred and yellow after a battle with The Archmage. It has apparently never noticeably affected him in battle, though it could.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 11 (130)

Hudson- Best Gargoyle:
-Hudson was actually my favourite of the Gargoyles clan, being the funniest crotchety old man ever. More than just a cranky-pants, though, he was the retired former Clan Leader, a crafty old bugger, and he had more than a few tricks up his sleeve that even Goliath would never think of. I still love the story of how he was cast- the writers based the character partially off of Lou Grant of The Mary Tyler Moore Show fame, noting particularly the famous first interview with Mary Richards (when she points out that he's NOT allowed to ask her if she's planning on getting married or having children, he amusedly replies "You've got spunk, kid" "oh, well thank you!" "I hate spunk!"). The writers thus included the line "Hudson hates spunk!" in the bio for the actors auditioning for the part to read, to get a feel for the guy. And who's reading for the part, and reads that line? Ed Asner, aka the guy who played Lou Grant in the first place! Asner says he just chuckled to himself, and figured he had a lead on most of the others reading for the role. One Scottish accent later, and we have our Gargoyle!

-You really didn't see a lot of characters like this- TV offered a lot of grumpy old men and Wise Old Masters, but few merged the two quite so well. Hudson was old, tired and had seen it all, but still had plenty of wisdom to offer (Goliath frequently used Hudson as a "Consigliere", assisting him in decisions), despite spending his nights at home, watching television. He didn't speak through Miyagi-like koans or in cliches- he just offered practical advice, and let people find their own way. One of Hudson's finest episodes ever was the solo effort against Demona, where the spry young (looking & feeling) Gargoyle chases after poor Hudson as he lugs around an injured Goliath. He's able to stay alive the entire time using his wits, faltering only at the very end, when the Stone Sleep catches all three, and Goliath is healed enough at the end to save the day (pretty much Hudson's plan anyways).

Hudson's Best Showing:
-My favorite, however, is an episode that shows him being kidnapped by Xanatos himself. Trapped in a holding pod, Hudson is informed that his "Stone Skin" will be used to cast a magic spell that renders someone immortal, and that Hudson himself will be the "guinea pig" to see if it has any side effects or not. When asked why HIM in particular, Hudson is informed by the immortality-obsessed Xanatos that since Hudson is old and past his prime, his death would matter less.

-The episode is an absolute tour de force, as the two characters (and their actors) engage in a spirited debate- Asner and Frakes are fantastic here, as Hudson is the ONE CHARACTER IN THE SERIES to basically have it all over Xanatos- he cuts through the "nothing scares me!" facade, says all the right things to goad him, and actually gets the villain to lose his cool more than once- Xanatos even pumps his fists like a little kid when pushed ("Growing old SCARES you, doesn't it, Xanatos?" "NOTHING scares me!"). And Hudson is calm and collected the entire time, rebuffing all the insults ("You're the most old and useless", "Step a little closer, and you'll see just how useless I am..."), and pokes holes in the flaws in Xanatos's plan ("Macbeth and DEMONA are immortal; has it brought THEM happiness?"). And in the end, Hudson uses his discarded stone skin to break the Steel Clan robot holding him, and make his escape anyways. Xanatos is so impressed that he lets Hudson escape (*stops Owen from sounding the alarm* "No!... he's earned it"). Hudson ruled.

Hudson's Powers:
-Hudson is a lesser version of Goliath in a few ways, but has more tricks up his sleeve. He's got more Skills, and a whole different set of Advantages (Sword-based Disarming, Weapon Bind, etc.), and his sword. He's a bit fatter and slower than his prime, lacking the high Agility or Defenses of the younger Gargoyles. The sword was a bit iffy, because the usual +3 Bonus would be a game-breaker, and honestly, I've never understood how an already freakishly-strong guy could do more damage just because he had a sword. I mean, he could punch a HOLE IN CONCRETE with his HAND. A pointy blade is supposed to do worse? Would the Hulk do more damage with a knife? Probably not- the blade is more fragile than his fists. So I gave it a minor +1 bonus to damage, evening him out at PL 8, with 10 points over-cost (and making him less efficient at Defense- PL 7.5, and requiring the use of the Sword with Complications). He's a great warrior still- but is more at home watching the television.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Hudson

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:38 am The sword was a bit iffy, because the usual +3 Bonus would be a game-breaker, and honestly, I've never understood how an already freakishly-strong guy could do more damage just because he had a sword.
The same way a swung baseball bat is capable of knocking a baseball out of a park where you would only bump it a few feet if you tapped it with the cap. The motion multiplies your force.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:01 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:38 am The sword was a bit iffy, because the usual +3 Bonus would be a game-breaker, and honestly, I've never understood how an already freakishly-strong guy could do more damage just because he had a sword.
The same way a swung baseball bat is capable of knocking a baseball out of a park where you would only bump it a few feet if you tapped it with the cap. The motion multiplies your force.
Yeah, if you're a normal guy- would it still work if you were way beyond human Strength? Also, I don't think it'd make much difference in M&M stats. Hudson would be way over even Goliath with +3 Damage.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:24 am Yeah, if you're a normal guy- would it still work if you were way beyond human Strength?
Physics doesn't care how strong you are.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Necrosan! Goliath! Brooklyn! Broadway! Hudson!)

Post by Arkrite »

The sword would act as a force multiplier, it increases the speed at impact and it also translates that force into a smaller space.

So that first swing would be brutal. The real issue would be that most real world materials wouldn't hold up to repeated usages, probably resulting in bent or broken weapons real quick.

Or that you run into somebody who's basically so tough the sword wouldn't do any damage anyways. In which case you have bigger issues, like escaping the super tough badguy who just laughed off your best swing ;~)
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

The other problem is that M&M vastly overstates the effect. A sword is not ten times more destructive to inanimate objects than a fist, but +3 ranks of damage is about that.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Bronx

Post by Jabroniville »

BRONX
Played By:
Frank Welker
Role: The Team Dog
PL 7 (72)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Close Combat (Bite) 2 (+9
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+5)
Intimidation 9 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Trip, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Healing At Night" Regeneration 4 (Flaws: Limited to During the Stone-Sleep) [2]
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Piercing Claws & Teeth"
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Stone By Day)- All Gargoyles (and Gargoyle Beasts) are forced into a stone "hibernation" during the day- they will become unaware of their surroundings and immobile during this time, and are incredibly vulnerable. As a bonus, they appear to be harmless stone statues (which almost never go noticed by people as odd).
Responsibility (The Manhattan Clan)- Clans are Serious Business to Gargoyles. Mess with one, you mess with them all. Bronx is loyal to Goliath and the others.
Prejudice (Monster)- Gargoyles are very frightening to human beings.
Disabled (Animal)- Bronx cannot speak, nor use his paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 8 (72)

-Bronx is an unusual bit, though Team Pets are really common in cartoon worlds. A "Gargbeast" (as he later became known according to Weisman, though most people just say "Gargoyle Beast" I think), Bronx was sorta like a Gargoyle version of a dog, some weird evolutionary throwback to the main species that nobody really talked about much (I don't think a single character ever even asked- even Elisa, who typically was the person who got things explained to them). I guess they just really needed a macot. He was your typical dog, a loyal defender, always growling at things, and would back his allies up through anything. Oddly, he got to go along with the "Gargoyles World Tour" with Goliath & Elisa from the original cast, despite mainly being Hudson & the kids' pet more than anything. I always felt that was a little odd and unnecessary, though I suppose a Trio is a bit too lonely.

-Bronx takes my ever-templateable Wolf build and amps up the power to a PL 7 monster (putting him just below the Trio- he was never an elite fighter, but he could do similar damage and was a good distraction). He's pretty accurate, often goes All-Out & Power Attack, and has a lethal bite, much more than an oridinary dog. He's no super-heavyweight, but he's a good back-up for the others, especially in the kind of massed-battles they tend to get involved in.

-Bronx has that weird kind of "TV Animal Intelligence", where he's clearly much smarter and wiser than any real-world animal, but nonetheless is pretty simple-minded. For example, he can follow instructions very well, but doesn't actually understand simple conversation- he warns Demona against attacking a frozen-in-stone Elisa, but simply stands there and watches while Demona explains her plan to betray everyone. Thus, he gets immediate intent, but cannot comprehend speech.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I know everybody likes to rag on Bronx, but I'd totally want a dog like that.

I swear, he rarely got much use, but he was pretty impressive when he was let loose on the enemy.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:36 am I know everybody likes to rag on Bronx, but I'd totally want a dog like that.

I swear, he rarely got much use, but he was pretty impressive when he was let loose on the enemy.
Yeah, he can be tricky to estimate, but PL 7 is pretty scary. Two ranks higher than a solid soldier. Even Demona didn't want to tangle with him in a fair fight.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Yeah, I remember him being pretty tough.
One point the younger members were locked in an electrified cell, they took the shock so Bronx could rip the cage apart and go Lassie for them. Kind of telling that they chose to use the dog instead of trying to go themselves.

Sadly the flightless animal with subhuman intelligence makes for a character that's rarely involved.

Funny enough you figure he'd hang with Elisa since she can't fly either.

But hey, he gets to hang with Hudson. Who was awesome.

Also, I believe that the gentleman who did Hudson's voice also did the voice of Granny Goodness in the Justice League/JLU animated series.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I'll re-post my old episode reviews from the last time I did Gargoyles stuff:

Awakening The opening five-parter is epic and awesome, as expected. The animation here is about as good as you'll ever get for television- it actually spoiled the creators, who were disappointed by the other stuff they got at first, until they learned what REAL bad animation looked like (COUGHmacbeth'sdebutCOUGH). The Gargoyles are betrayed by the Captain of the Guard (who wanted them left alive because he hated the PRINCESS more than them, but he set up the events that led to their destruction anyways). Goliath FREAKS, then gets loss after loss ("EVERYTHING is denied me! EVEN MY REVENGE!") Goliath is even more deep with his voice in this, even rumbling it slightly instead of the growl Keith David later uses when speaking. Funny- when he asks the Magus who cast his spell one last time (and woah- talk about over-reacting- he didn't even see the Princess' fate and he has a major freak-out. Kinda makes sense later on when you realize he loves her), he's technically committing suicide, leaving the Eggs in the Rookery to the fate of the humans. Granted, life sucks right about then, but DANG.

Funnily enough, the show uses Time Travel so often that there's a ton more layers to this already. We know Demona was part of the traitorous party later, in addition to her being the reason why Xanatos knows the legend of the Gargoyles. AND DAMN, is Xanatos' Eyrie Building not the greatest base in the history of everything or what? A freaking titanic skyscraper in the middle of Manhattan, peaking over the clouds... WITH A CASTLE ON TOP OF IT? We finally meet Elisa and stuff happens and she gets the whole story- the animators draw her in some uncharacteristically cute/sexy poses when she's showing her badge off to the Clan with her legs all crossed while she leans forward. You can really see the South California/Disney style of animation shining through in this well-animated debut, as Elisa especially is hyper-animated, always doing little shifts and head-bounces when she talks (most of the Gargoyles do as well), and people's eyes even shift as they speak. In lower budgets and regular ol' TV, people are much more static and don't bounce their heads around so much.

The early parts with Xanatos are always a bit weird- it's odd when cartoons pull the "the people are hiding their true nature" thing right away, as technically Xanatos is out of character for the first bit, acting friendly. His whole plot involves spending billions of dollars, moving a castle across the world, then breaking a magic spell... all so he can have the Gargoyles do some grunt work for him. Very odd, but fitting what we discover about him later (Weisman goes ON AND ON about how David's a "Trickster" archetype who does things for fun and curiosity).

DAMN THE SUN MOVES FAST IN THIS UNIVERSE. The shadows pass right across Xanatos' face in mid-sentence as the sun falls, and it rises across the horizon in seconds. Kind of an animation cheat to be more dramatic, y'see...

Demona: "Humanity is our ENEMY, Goliath- I thought you learned that a millennium ago!"
Goliath: "I cannot make WAR upon an ENTIRE WORLD."
Demona: "Can you forgive the humans for what they've done to our kind?"
Goliath: "Those responsible have been DEAD for a THOUSAND YEARS."
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH that's gotta sting. The dialogue in this show rules.

Love Sign #1: Goliath picks Elisa up to go on the tour of the City, and they immediately just smile for a sec. Hudson is hilariously unimpressed and annoyed. Y'know, it took me till the "Puck Turns New York Into Gargoyles" episode to pick up on it as a kid, but it's more clear now. The show's fairly heavy on the slapstick, too (Weisman also admits they went too far with the "Fat Guy Food Jokes" on Broadway, and scaled them back eventually). And check out the Yuppie Couple with the giant, cord-having car-phone in their vehicle- what a filthy sign of wealth & opulence, eh? And OH MY GOD, they're threatened by one of the Garg-Universe's multi-racial gangs of street hoodlums! Ya know... Elisa the cop could make an effort to arrest them or something instead of leaving them in a pile.

Once Xanatos' deceptions are revealed and he decides to beat up the team with his Steel Clan (greatest... Mooks... ever...), we get a good old-fashioned fight scene. The Clan is pretty fragile for a bunch of 'bots, though they take out Lexington & Broadway pretty handily. Curiously, not only can Brooklyn barely fly with Lex in his arms (and Lex is itty-bitty), but a Clan Robot can't fly with Bronx on his tail). And it's the debut of the "Make Them Fly Into Each Other" trick. A good sign of Strength 5 & 6 (instead of higher)- it takes both Goliath & Brooklyn to push off a piece of stone wall onto a 'Bot. Aaaaaand Demona reveals that she was behind the betrayal at Castle Wyvern, then says she thinks all humans must die and reveals her hate. Elisa saves Goliath, the battlements come down, and Goliath saves her in turn, while Demona falls to a "certain death". Goliath threatens to murder Xanatos then and there, but Elisa stops him with the whole "You'll be just like Demona" thing (Weisman notes that Hudson merely says "she's right lad... is that what ye want?" without actually telling him not to be like her- he merely wants Goliath to be sure of his actions and consider them. Xanatos' life means nothing to him). GREAT soulful wail from Keith David when Demona falls.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:59 am The other problem is that M&M vastly overstates the effect. A sword is not ten times more destructive to inanimate objects than a fist, but +3 ranks of damage is about that.
Yeah, that's my deal with a lot of "Strong Guy With Sword" things. Anyone with Gargoyle Strength wielding a sword is lapping a lot of comic book powerhouses to an uncomfortable level. Gargoyles are very "Street Level" by definition- they shouldn't be hitting a damage quotient past Spider-Man's Rogues Gallery.

And you can see the general "lack of effect" in-universe of Hudson's weapon- it's not treated as the death-knell of anything it hits, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't even kill robots with impunity- it's more a symbol of someone's fading strength than an added "oomph".
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

One of the annoying things about doing a Gargoyles set is that I always feel the need to post the entire Clan in one go- normally, I would "split" the Main Cast among several different days, so we staggered out the "big names" instead of putting them all down at once. But Gargoyles is so "stable"-related, in that each guy comes from their own "stable" of characters, that you kind of have to drop entire groups down at once- the Manhattan Clan, Xanatos's goons (Owen, Sevarius & The Steel Clan), the Labyrinth Clan, and more. It's easier to compare and contrast that way, rather than waiting a few days between them.

The Manhattan Clan differ more than most other groups- The Avalon Clan is quite uniform (inexperienced fighters of average size); the Labyrinth Clan is same-y; the Foreign Clans are as well. But the main characters include the shrimpiest Gargoyle ever (Lex), another fairly-small one (Brooklyn is REALLY thin and short- smaller than even the females), two big fat guys (Hudson & Broadway), and a monster in Goliath. This means you have to be REALLY careful about where each guy falls in the "Strength Line", as Broadway is obviously stronger than his Rookery Brothers, but is definitely below Goliath. Brooklyn & Lex are also much stronger than regular people, but... HOW much stronger? It's a very tricky thing. Never mind the "tough enough to survive falling bricks and swords, but can still be hurt by punches & kicks" thing.

Thankfully, the show is much like Avatar in that the tiers are well-established, and rarely contradictory.