Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Troll

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:38 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:17 am Puck (tiny dwarf
You say that like there's a kind of dwarf that isn't tiny.
Meanwhile, in today's Order of the Stick
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Photon! Badrock! Diehard! Riptide! Troll!)

Post by Woodclaw »

I think that Troll's problem is that Liefeld tried to write it was a serious character. If he made it a deliberate stab at Logan and wasn't defensive about it would have been an actually usable character.
In general, this is a problem with all of Liefeld's work (and Marc Silvestri's to an extent), he kept pushing the idea that he was actually doing something new, instead he was just retreading the same old tropes. In my eyes, this is the reason why Supreme worked with Moore: the story actually acknowledged the real roots of the character and the sillyness that came with it.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Psi-Fire

Post by Jabroniville »

PSI-FIRE (David Waller)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: Youngblood #1 (April 1992)
Role: Anti-Hero, Flying Blaster
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Jean Grey (generic telepath character)
'90s Ratio: 6/10 (Flying Blaster; Psionic Powers; murderer)
Group Affiliations: Youngblood
PL 8 (115)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Government Agent) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Pyrokinesis) 4 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack

Powers:
"Psionics"
"Telepathy" Mind-Reading 8 & Communication (Mental) 3 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area, Selective) (35) -- [43]
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Bolt" Blast 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Shield" Force Field 5 (Feats: Dynamic) (6)
  • Dynamic AE: "Pyrokinesis" Blast 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
"Rob Liefeld Character" Enhanced Skills 3: Stealth 3 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pyrokinesis +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Mental Bolt -- (+7 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Mind-Reading -- (DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+8 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Being Extreme and Looking Cool)
Responsibility (Hot-Blooded)- Psi-Fire once murdered a Middle Eastern dictator against orders, and later attacked his team when he was rendered comatose.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 56 / Defenses: 9 (115)

-Hahahahahahaaha Jesus Christ, this guy's outfit. How uncreative can you get? That's literally just "Generic Superhero Uniform When You Have No Design Concept" 101, right there. It's so generic it was the "Jim Lee's X-Men Team Uniform" AND Changeling's baseline outfit in Teen Titans (since a shape-changer doesn't need cool clothes). It's just... like almost the exact same thing Changeling had- all it's missing is the torso color going down the sides of the arms to meet the gloves, because this version is even lazier, making the gloves just a different color. Another aspect of laziness was the psionics- back in 1987 when Rob created this guy for the early "Youngblood" concept, it was common for every X-team to have the "Token Psionic", and this continued into the early '90s, when all these characters finally made paper. So Psi-Fire seems like the most obvious X-Men reference of the early cast.

-Psi-Fire was a member of Youngblood's "Away Team", and controversially used his powers to kill the Middle Eastern dictator Hassan Kussein (gee, I wonder who he was referencing?), which is oddly close to stuff that various comics fans wrote as "What-Ifs" back in the day- for my "Something Unique" writing community, I actually had my evil "Pretend Superheroes" team prove their worth to the U.S. by killing Saddam in a gory manner on live television. In this case, Psi-Fire was censured for committing a murder against orders during a mission, and was forced to use a power-inhibitor. He was allowed to take it off once he chased off the forces of the villain Darkthornn. This left Psi-Fire comatose, so he mentally transferred his mind to a female medical staff worker and attacked Youngblood- he went wild until using his powers against Masada: her powers came from several souls, so it overwhelmed his psionics.

-Psi-Fire is a pretty generic "Jean Grey" archetype, with full Psionics, a Force Field, and Pyrokinesis. He's PL 8 like the others, but has to be careful about where he puts his points, as his Force Field is shoved into the array with the rest of his stuff- put out too powerful a Blast, and he's vulnerable.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Masada

Post by Jabroniville »

... this doesn’t suck.

MASADA (Deborah Konigsberg)
Created By:
Rob Leifeld
First Appearance: Supreme #4 (July 1993)
Role: Anti-Hero, Giantess
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: None (generic size-changer)
'90s Ratio: 4/10 (stripperific uniform; little else)
PL 9 (84)
STRENGTH
5/12 STAMINA 5/12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:

Powers:
Growth 7 (Str & Sta +7, +7 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry) [14]
Growth +5 (+6 Intimidation, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (60 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Growths) [5]
"Rob Liefeld Character" Enhanced Skills 3: Stealth 3 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Giant Size +6 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4
"Giant Size" Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +12, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Empowered By Multiple Souls)- The souls of the people who died at Masadad empower Deborah, and she sometimes gets overwhelmed by their voices.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 12 (84)

-HELL YES A GIANT JEWESS!! I mean, um, this character meets with my approval.

-Masada is an Israeli crimefighter who gained size-changing powers thanks to the souls of the Jewish warriors who died at Masada (a famous real-life siege in which the Jewish population of the fortress city committed suicide rather than be taken prisoner by the Roman army- "We have won a rock" the commander is said to have uttered). So she of course wore a belly-shirt and metal panties and joined Youngblood.

-Like most Size-Changers, Masada is fairly cheap on points, and hits a pretty high level offensively but has quirkier defenses. She's also strong in baseline form, so I had to do some shenanigans to make her fit PL caps.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Re: Troll

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:17 am

-Troll is a literal troll, though his species are technically called "Kobolds" in-universe, and is a thousand years old thereabouts. His backstory includes he and his entire people being enslaved by an evil Warlock after he loses a game of cards, and winning his freedom back by discovering a book that can change real-world events by writing things in it. He himself lost the book to Merlin... also in a game of cards. When the "Winter Knight" gained possession of it, Troll tried to steal it from him, and got imprisoned in a frozen waterfall for 300 years. When he's finally freed, he joins Youngblood as a reserve member, shaving his furry body to look more human-like. Apparently he betrayed the team at some point, all to rescue Chapel.

-Troll is a low-level superhuman whose primary specialty is being an ageless, immortal creature.
I like that. I always have. there, there's something to make a one note, generic character into something a little more interesting.

Moore :)
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Photon! Badrock! Diehard! Riptide! Troll!)

Post by Davies »

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:34 pmMoore :)
When he's on, he's really on.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
scc

Re: Masada

Post by scc »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 pm Image

... this doesn’t suck.

Created By:
Rob Leifeld
PL 9 (84)
STRENGTH
5/12 STAMINA 5/12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:

Powers:
Growth 7 (Str & Sta +7, +7 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry) [14]
Growth +5 (+6 Intimidation, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (60 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Growths) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Giant Size +6 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4
"Giant Size" Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +12, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Empowered By Multiple Souls)- The souls of the people who died at Masadad empower Deborah, and she sometimes gets overwhelmed by their voices.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 12 (84)

-HELL YES A GIANT JEWESS!! I mean, um, this character meets with my approval.

-Masada is an Israeli crimefighter who gained size-changing powers thanks to the souls of the Jewish warriors who died at Masada (a famous real-life siege in which the Jewish population of the fortress city committed suicide rather than be taken prisoner by the Roman army- "We have won a rock" the commander is said to have uttered). So she of course wore a belly-shirt and metal panties and joined Youngblood.

-Like most Size-Changers, Masada is fairly cheap on points, and hits a pretty high level offensively but has quirkier defenses. She's also strong in baseline form, so I had to do some shenanigans to make her fit PL caps.
I have been waiting for this post. About time. She sounds like an interesting character with her background information. I remember reading about her in Image's version of the Marvel Handbook or DC's Secret Files.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 pm -HELL YES A GIANT JEWESS!! I mean, um, this character meets with my approval.
Technically, a Jolly Green Giant Jewess at that. ;)
Spam

Post by Spam »

... this doesn’t suck.
... Here we see one tiny blonde man living out Jab's fantasy death.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spam wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:43 pm ... Here we see one tiny blonde man living out Jab's fantasy death.
Haha, he's being smooshed by a titanic lady's BUM!

... I want to be him so bad.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Badrock! Diehard! Riptide! Troll! Masada!)

Post by greycrusader »

LOL, giant-sized characters often make it obvious most comic book artists have NO sense of scale; I take it Masada is supposed to go up to 50' to 70' feet or so, but she's drawn anywhere from 100' to over 300' feet tall in those pictures.
Jabroniville

Brahma

Post by Jabroniville »

Hahahahaha- Jesus Christ.

BRAHMA (Jeff Kessler)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
Role: Anti-Hero, Strong Guy
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Colossus/Warpath ("Strong Guy")
'90s Ratio: 7/10 (stupid flat hair, Generic Strong Guy character)
Group Affiliations: Youngblood, The Four
PL 7 (72)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:

Powers:
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:
Relationship (Father, Showdown)- Brahma often feels he must do as his father says. He also followed his friend Showdown to quit Youngblood and join "The Four".

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 9 (72)

-Brahma is easily the most generic character on Youngblood, being nothing more complicated than "The Strong Guy"- he has no design quirks, nor interesting costume choices- his sole visual distinction his his Guile-like flat-top hairstyle! Though I'll give Rob this- "Brahma" isn't actually a bad name for a powerhouse character at all. His origin is pretty dumb- he was supposed to be born triplets, but the "triplet cells never split", so he is basically three men in one (well, that's just science). He was recruited onto Youngblood's "Away Team", but he eventually quit the team to please his father, and joined The Four along with his friend Showdown. But later, both realized that the Four's leader Neverman had cheated them- they quit the team and Brahma returned to Youngblood.

-Brahma is just your everyday "Big Strong Guy", but I'm not sure how strong he's supposed to be- every picture is of a generic grimacing guy in a "Running Pose".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Chapel! Photon! Badrock! Diehard! Riptide!)

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:05 pm
Ares wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:38 pm Rank 11 - Hulk (sufficiently angry) - Maul (frickin HUGE), Zeek, Joey Finkleberry, Solar Man (stolen energy), Thragg
Rank 10 - Superman / Hulk (average) - Supreme (normal power), Majestic, The High, Maximum Man, Omni-Man, Invincible (late series), Apollo (sufficient solar reserves), Bludgeon, Spartan (Void Energies), Maul (REALLY big), Mighty Man (anyone else), Allen the Alien
Rank 09 - Wonder Woman / Namor - Suprema, Mighty Man (Nurse Anne), Invincible (average), Maul (big), Apollo (normal reserves)
Rank 08 - The Thing / Colossus - Supreme (Thor's hammer), Bedrock, Maul (average size), Fuji, Impact, Barbaric, Smasher (Jennifer Murphy), Invincible (post-training), Tech-Jacket, Pitt, Union, Apollo (low reserves)
Rank 07 - Iron Man - Invincible (early series), Caitlin Fairchild, Scrap / Smasher (Dynamo 5)
Rank 06 -
Rank 05 - Classic Rogue/Wrecking Crew - Spartan (upgraded), Diehard
Rank 04 - Venom -Savage Dragon, Battlestone, Cabbot, Vanguard, Coldsnap
Rank 03 - Spider-Man - Seahawk, Jack Hawksmoore
Rank 02 - Tigra -
Rank 01 - Paladin - Zealot, Spartan (original body), Combat
Looking at the list, I'm kind of puzzled by seeing Venom and Savage Dragon in the same rank, I always thought that Dragon eas way stronger. Conversely, I never picture Rogue being at the same level as the Wrecking Crew, I always pinned her around the 35-40 tons mark.
The other one I would rank up is Iron Man, but a lot hinges on which version of the armor we consider and own much power he has at his disposal.
Dragon was somewhat hard to place, strength wise. A case could be made for a solid Rank 5 mid-tier, but he was also constantly fighting guys much stronger than himself and surviving due to his healing factor, agility and fighting skills more than raw strength. Larsen apparently tried to stick fairly closely to the old Marvel Handbook rankings, listing Dragon as 30 tons while someone like Mighty Man was 150 tons, implying Class 100 strength for the latter. There was also an issue where Thor, who was portrayed as being in Hercules/Mighty Man's strength range, took off his belt of strength, which cut said strength in half. Dragon put on the belt and his own strength was doubled, and was able to fight Thor on an even level for the first time. So Dragon at double Strength and Thor at half strength seemed pretty comparable, so Rank 4 seems about right for Dragon.

Putting Venom in Rank 4 is a combination of things. He's clearly stronger than Spider-Man by a noticeable degree, and has done things like lift bulldozers over his head and throw them a good distance, and those things are CRAZY heavy.

As for Rogue, her and Carol's standard powerset always came off as the definitive "mid-tier strength/toughness" level, what they called Amazing (50) in the old FASERIP system. Definitely someone a step or so below Colossus, but not so much that she couldn't do some impressive damage. The Wrecking Crew have been listed at various times as being only Spider-Man strong when power sharing, but it really does come off more that they're a team of Rank 5 bricks when Power Sharing, and the Wrecker is more like a Rank 8 or 9 when he's got the power all to himself.

Iron Man is one of those things where each armor is an improvement on the previous one, but his relation to the other Marvel Heroes never really seems to change. Unless he's wearing something like the Hulkbuster armor, Tony's normal suits don't seem like they'd be able to slug it out evenly with the Thing. Tony can briefly achieve Rank 10 strength if he overclocks his systems, but doing so really drains his energies and leaves him vulnerable afterwards. In the instance where he pulled this stunt on the Hulk, he wound up damaging his suit so badly Ant-Man had to be called in to repair it in order to get it off of him. I've also seen a couple of instances where both the Thing and Colossus were able to firmly restrain Iron Man, and Tony couldn't get free. So I figure Tony as being near Ben and Pietor, but not quite on their level.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Dutch

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:29 pm Image

DUTCH (Jake Holland)
Created By:
Chap Yaep
First Appearance: Team Youngblood #1 (Aug. 1992)
Role: Anti-Hero, Cyborg
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Cable (Big cyborg with guns)
'90s Ratio: 7/10 (gun-toting cyborg)
Group Affiliations: Youngblood, Cybernet
Dutch is another blank slate, a complete nothing guy, existing as the "Chapel" of the Youngblood Away Team, being the team Gun Guy with a mysterious past, only he was a cyborg instead of genetically augmented. He also had the worst case of "unfortunate Liefeld headgear design" with those stupid exhaust pipes on his head. Seriously, what were those suppose to be? Communications gear? Targeting systems? They made no sense and looked stupid.

The "I use to belong to the organization we're fighting against" thing could have been interesting, but between that and Dutch as just a weird code name, the character was basically doomed. He needed a new name, some outfit tweaks, maybe link him to Cyber-Force.

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:14 pm Image

COUGAR (Daniel Tsuchida)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
Role: Anti-Hero, Claw Guy
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Wolverine (Claw Guy named after a clawed animal; sideburns and wild, spiky hair); Also almost literally just a copy of Timber Wolf
'90s Ratio: 7.5/10 (Wolverine knock-off, claws, healing factor)
Group Affiliations: Youngblood, The Jakarrans
The unfortunately named Cougar (he'd be mocked so badly these days) was pretty much just generic claw guy for Youngblood, but the "half-breed from a hidden land" thing is always a fun comic book trope, as per the Inhumans, Eternals, etc. For some odd reason it's always the King or Prince or Princess that produces a half-breed, never just some common citizen of the hidden land.

Regardless, "animal powered hero" is a decent niche, the hidden land stuff could be some good world-building and his look isn't that bad with a few tweaks.

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:17 am Image

TROLL (Bartholomew J. Troll)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
Role: Anti-Hero, Comic Relief
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Wolverine (the hair, cigar and the time he was thrown in a Fastball Special), Puck (tiny dwarf with super-powers)
'90s Ratio: 4/10 (despite the hair, he's not really that far gone- more of a comic relief guy than anything)
Group Affiliations: Youngblood, Brigade, Bloodstrike
Troll was just stupid. The idea of him being an actual troll/kobold/Ewok that shaves himself to look human is kind of clever, but honestly at that point he should have just been a literal Dwarf from Asgard, and is in disguise by shaving his beard. He was apparently meant to be a wise-cracking smartass who was also an acrobatic punching guy who was hard to kill.

Oddly enough, being an immortal, non-human who looks human with hidden power, white hair and a smartass makes him almost beat for beat a copy of Lord Emp/Jacob Marlowe from WildCATs, only whereas Emp used guns and occasional superpowers, Troll liked to punch things.

Get rid of the Wolverine hair and tweak a few things and he might be salvageable.

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:56 pm Image

PSI-FIRE (David Waller)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
Role: Anti-Hero, Flying Blaster
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Jean Grey (generic telepath character)
'90s Ratio: 6/10 (Flying Blaster; Psionic Powers; murderer)
Psi-Fire was basically the obligatory "Evil Teammate We Keep On a Leash With a Power Limiter" in the most vanilla outfit ever. This is like Piledriver plain outfit wise. It's remarkable how lazy a character he was as well, because he existed pretty much solely to cause conflict, to be what defeats the Big Bad Evil Guy (Darkthornn) of the first storyline. Seriously, Darkthornn is beating up the entirety of Youngblood pretty much by himself, Psi-Fire says "take my limiter off", they take his limiter off, he defeats Darkthornn, we never hear from Darkthornn again. It's basically how Jean Grey was used in the X-Men/Apocalypse movie.

Psi-Fire should have been a slow build-up threat. Have him show up and appear to be heroic, does the right thing, a total paragon. Only he's actually using his powers to make everyone like him, do what he wants, setting himself up for greater power, and basically making everyone think he's awesome while he's an actual villain. Only people immune to his power like Diehard (anti-psi-cyber-implants), Troll (ageless nonhuman), Psi-Lance (psychic) slowly notice what's going on, Psi-Fire gets revealed to be a villain, he has a fight, and he winds up imprisoned and used as a last resort weapon . . . which bites the heroes in the butt again later. Then he escapes and is basically a dangerous psychic psychopath the heroes need to deal with.

Created By:
Rob Leifeld
Masada isn't a bad design overall, being a female size-shifter that could easily serve as the group powerhouse. The one thing I was always a little uncomfortable with the character was her name and her powers coming from the souls of the Masada rebels. I mean, on the one hand, it's kind of cool that it ties into a moment from Jewish history, but at the same time, IT TIES TO A MOMENT FROM JEWISH HISTORY. Where real people killed themselves en mass to deny an invading army whatever victory they could. I can never decide if that origin is awesome or culturally insensitive.

I'd probably just have her take the name Masada after the mountain and tries to live up to the indomitable spirit of the mountain and its people, rather than literally being empowered by those spirits.

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:56 am Image

BRAHMA (Jeff Kessler)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
Role: Anti-Hero, Strong Guy
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Colossus/Warpath ("Strong Guy")
'90s Ratio: 7/10 (stupid flat hair, Generic Strong Guy character)
Group Affiliations: Youngblood, The Four
Brahma is dumb. And while I realize his name is probably meant in reference to the bull, there's also the issue that it's also the name of a major god of a religion that's still practiced in the modern world. But beyond that, the most interesting thing about him was that he was someone who didn't want to be in Youngblood and quit the team. And honestly, that's not a bad story route. Show that not everyone is cut out for the fame and the lifestyle, have Brahma go on some missions, never be as comfortable with it, retire, and show up later doing construction work or something similar and being much happier, and might get called in for special missions. Or have him get killed early on to showcase how dangerous being on Youngblood can be.

Jabroniville

KnightSabre

Post by Jabroniville »

KNIGHTSABRE (Mikey Graves)
Created By:
Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: Team Youngblood #9 (May 1994)
Role: Anti-Hero, Aggressive Hot-Head
Marvel Character Most Ripped Off: Gambit (uses a battlestaff and sometimes wears a long jacket; copies some of Gambit's trademark poses and occasional old Jim Lee designs for him)
'90s Ratio: 7/10 (powers literally based around pissing people off; energy blasts)
PL 7 (82)
STRENGTH
2/5 STAMINA 3/6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 1 (Battle-Staff +2- Split & Reach), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Enhanced Strength 3 (Quirks: Power Loss- Lack of Aggression -2) [4]
Enhanced Stamina 3 (Quirks: Power Loss- Lack of Aggression -2) [4]

Energy Blast 6 (Quirks: Power Loss- Lack of Aggression -2) (10) -- [11]
  • AE: "Energy Strike" Damage 6 (Quirks: Power Loss- Lack of Aggression -2) (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Aggression Boost +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Energy Strike +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Energy Blast +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+6 Aggression), Fortitude +5 (+8 Aggression), Will +3

Complications:
Reputation (Asshole)- KnightSabre is an overly aggressive, antagonistic asshole even by the standards of a Rob Liefeld character. His powers are drawn from aggression in others, and so his temperament and personality have left him incredibly adversarial.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 9 (82)

-KnightSabre is a weirdo nutjob who got added to Youngblood after basic training, despite an enmity with Diehard. His power is to absorb the anger and aggression of nearby foes into energy blasts, typically from his titanium battle-staff, as well as enhanced his physical abilities. This leaves him aggressive, fighty, and crazy, to the point where he was the "obvious" choice to be the killer of Riptide during Alan Moore's run on Youngblood- this was a clear Red Herring, leading to Sentinel's conviction, as he'd framed the hot-head.

-KnightSabre is a big, stupid, aggressive hot-head, but unfortunately that leaves him pretty same-y compared to other Image characters. He has a bunch of boosts when surrounded by enemy aggression- since most fights involve such things, it's only a -2 points savings on each power, but it would hamper him if surrounded by robots, for example.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.