Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Necrosan! Goliath! Brooklyn! Broadway! Hudson!)

Post by Ares »

Another thing I liked about the series was that it didn't shy away from the notion of death and killing. Goliath flat out admits that he's okay with killing during the heat of battle, but that he will not casually murder someone outside of a fight. And he proves this in the episode where Xanatos held Hudson prisoner. The robotic MacBeth Xanatos had sent to occupy them destroyed a statue of Hudson Xanatos had left behind as a decoy, making them think Hudson is dead. Goliath gets that level of angry where you the viewer lean back in your chair to get away from him because you're worried he'll somehow take a swing at you through the TV, and charges "MacBeth". And then he . . . well . . .

Yeah. If that HAD been the real MacBeth, that definitely would have put his immortality to the test. I mean, damn, Goliath punched a hole the size of bowling ball clean through the guy's chest.

Do NOT piss Goliath off.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Necrosan! Goliath! Brooklyn! Broadway! Hudson!)

Post by Ares »

Also, skipping ahead a little, but that re-design Goliath got while wielding the Eye of Odin?

Frickin epic.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Gargoyle Template

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

GENERIC GARGOYLE TEMPLATE
Played By:
Various
Role: Cool-Looking Background Characters
PL 6 (75)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Aerobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 2 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Warrior) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Airborne), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Gargoyle Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (Quirks: Gliders) [3]
"Defenders of the Night" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Healing At Night" Regeneration 4 (Flaws: Limited to During the Stone-Sleep) [2]
"Long Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

"Piercing Claws"
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Stone By Day)- All Gargoyles are forced into a stone "hibernation" during the day- they will become unaware of their surroundings and immobile during this time, and are incredibly vulnerable. As a bonus, they appear to be harmless stone statues (which almost never go noticed by people as odd).
Responsibility (The Clan)- Clans are Serious Business to Gargoyles. Mess with one, you mess with them all.
Prejudice (Monster)- Gargoyles are very frightening to human beings.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 10 (75)

GENERIC GARGOYLE (Elite)
Played By:
Various
Role: Cool-Looking Background Characters
PL 6 (92)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 7 (+10)
Athletics 4 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Expertise (Warrior) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Magic) 3 (+4)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+10)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Airborne), Favoured Environment (Airborne), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
"Gargoyle Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (Quirks: Gliders) [3]
"Defenders of the Night" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Healing At Night" Regeneration 4 (Flaws: Limited to During the Stone-Sleep) [2]
"Long Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

"Piercing Claws"
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Stone By Day)- All Gargoyles are forced into a stone "hibernation" during the day- they will become unaware of their surroundings and immobile during this time, and are incredibly vulnerable. As a bonus, they appear to be harmless stone statues (which almost never go noticed by people as odd).
Responsibility (The Clan)- Clans are Serious Business to Gargoyles. Mess with one, you mess with them all.
Prejudice (Monster)- Gargoyles are very frightening to human beings.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 13 (92)

-Okay, so these guys actually show up quite a lot for a show that's about "the last of their kind". Flashbacks to the Scotland days had a bunch of them, and they actually show up in the "Gargoyles World Tour" a ton, as the Clan discovers that there are a few Clans left alive throughout the world, and the whole Rookery Egg crew survived to adulthood on Avalon. Most of them have little personality beyond "defender", and their designs lack the uniqueness of the main clan for the most part (usually it's just Big Beaky Guy, Shoulder-Pad Guy, Skinny standard Girl Gargoyle, or something), but it's something.

-Gargoyles get a bunch of Stat boosts and some generic Skills & Advantages to denote wild-living, hugely strong creatures, making a pretty expensive template. They still need to spend points to get full Attack/Defense bonuses, and expect most of them to be PL 5 or 6 creatures at best. When Goliath & Co. meet the other Clans, they tend to come across more fight-y, stronger guys who fit the PL 8s like Brooklyn & Broadway (generally the same Strength, but with +11 Accuracy and more Advantages)- most are a little bigger than Brooklyn. Some of the females, and skinnier males, likely drop Strength & Toughness and add Fighting & Defenses to balance it out.

-Zafiro of the Mayan Clan adds Movement 1 (Slithering), while it seems that the Loch Ness Clan (which we never saw) were Aquatic in nature, possibly having gills (Immunity to Drowning, Environmental Adaptation & Swimming instead of Flight).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Re: Gargoyle Template

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:14 pm -Okay, so these guys actually show up quite a lot for a show that's about "the last of their kind". Flashbacks to the Scotland days had a bunch of them, and they actually show up in the "Gargoyles World Tour" a ton, as the Clan discovers that there are a few Clans left alive throughout the world, and the whole Rookery Egg crew survived to adulthood on Avalon. Most of them have little personality beyond "defender", and their designs lack the uniqueness of the main clan for the most part (usually it's just Big Beaky Guy, Shoulder-Pad Guy, Skinny standard Girl Gargoyle, or something), but it's something.

-Gargoyles get a bunch of Stat boosts and some generic Skills & Advantages to denote wild-living, hugely strong creatures, making a pretty expensive template. They still need to spend points to get full Attack/Defense bonuses, and expect most of them to be PL 5 or 6 creatures at best. When Goliath & Co. meet the other Clans, they tend to come across more fight-y, stronger guys who fit the PL 8s like Brooklyn & Broadway (generally the same Strength, but with +11 Accuracy and more Advantages)- most are a little bigger than Brooklyn. Some of the females, and skinnier males, likely drop Strength & Toughness and add Fighting & Defenses to balance it out.

-Zafiro of the Mayan Clan adds Movement 1 (Slithering), while it seems that the Loch Ness Clan (which we never saw) were Aquatic in nature, possibly having gills (Immunity to Drowning, Environmental Adaptation & Swimming instead of Flight).
My general assumption back in the day was that in the past there wasn't much contact between Gargoyles' clans, due to the usual pre-industrial travelling complications and the fact that travelling when you're completely and utterly defenseless half of the time isn't a good idea. As a result most clans were probably quite insular and even over relatively short distances the comunications were severely limited. E.g. the members of the London clan during WW2 were pretty surprised to see a Goliath and some bits of the dialogue seemed to imply that they had never met another Scottish Gargoyle before. This means that the Wyvern clan was the only clan in Scotland or Gargoyles rarely move around much.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Elisa Maza

Post by Jabroniville »

W-w-... we're ABSOLUTELY SURE that "Attractive" caps out at two ranks, right?

DETECTIVE ELISA MAZA
Played By:
Salli Richardson
Role: The Muggle Ally (aka The P.O.V. Character), The Lady Cop, The Sex Appeal (and HOW)
PL 7 (123)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Police Detective) 8 (+11)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 7 (+12)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Pistol) 1 (+9)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 1 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit (Police Officer), Equipment 4 (Car, Pistol), Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Guns), Improved Trip, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Taunt, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Pistol" Blast 5 (10)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistol +9 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The Force, New York)- Elisa is a good cop, and devoted to protecting her city. She is also obsessed with bringing down scum like Tony Dracon and his Mob.
Relationship (Goliath)- Goliath & Elisa have grown incredibly close over their years together, creating an unspoken bond (in part because Elisa doesn't want to speak of it).
Responsibility (The Manhattan Clan)- Elisa is as much a member of the Clan as the actual Gargoyles. Mess with one, you mess with them all. 
Enemy (Tony Dracon)- Dracon has a specific rivalry with the pretty lady he calls "Honey" and "Sugar". She's obsessed with wiping out his Mob, and he just likes to flirt and threaten murder and stuff.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 15 (123)

Elisa- The Exposition Magnet:
-Elisa Maza was a necessity to the show- a "human buddy" is all-too-common in cartoons featuring fantasy-style casts. You need that human element to ground everything, and to be the one who asks the questions that allow for plot exposition (ie. "We're gargoyles, we always defend our home, we all raise the children equally, etc."). She went through a TON of changes in the planning phases, being a Latina named "Chavez" (this was used for their Police Captain instead), then Bluestone (later used for her partner on the force), and finally they just settled on making her the same race as her V.A., Sallie Richardson- a combination of black & Native American.

Elisa- Yet Another Mrs. Jabroniville:
-They also made her TOTALLY AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL. I mean, Salli Richardson was and is a stunning woman (black don't crack, even when diluted), but Elisa was beautiful in this incredible, distinctive way that makes her hard to draw in any style other than the one the show used- a combination of delicate and strong features that artists can usually only dream of achieving. She's so hot that Keith David jokes about how he'd watch the show just for her. The fun thing was the animators didn't really DWELL on her hotness, as she pretty much wore the same "Plainclothes Cop" look (blue jeans, black shirt, red jacket) in every single episode... but then... the BELLE DRESS. It was one of those moments (like "Belle with her hair down" in Beauty and the Beast or Elsa's "Sexy Walk" in Frozen) where the animators are just out to show HOW ATTRACTIVE they can make a woman.

-Elisa was a great showcasing of how to write a Female Buddy character RIGHT. The showrunners generally went out of their way to make "Strong Women" all over the show, but it's never more clear than with Elisa, who is clever, forceful, resourceful, honorable and unflappable. She gets used to a band of FRIGGIN' GARGOYLES with shocking ease, successfully goes undercover and wrecked Anthony Dracon's "Protection Racket", properly acts as the voice of reason to a stubborn Goliath, takes out a band of mercenaries with barely any ammunition or cover, and more. Yet they don't do the "Rah-rah, I am woman, hear me roar" thing, nor make her too perfect or boring (a HUGE problem with "Strong Female Protagonists"- she is stubborn, grouchy, pushy (particularly with her younger brother Derek- there's a great scene where she barges into the male locker room, embarrassing everyone there, just to yell at him and lecture the guy), careless (leaving her gun out where anyone can grab it), still needs rescuing as much as the other characters do, and more. It was a PERFECT balance.

*swoon*... The ROMANCE...:
-The fascinating story that undercut alot of the series was her love for Goliath. There were ITTY BITTY hints early on, but not till the "everyone switches races" episode did they realize they were attracted to each other (humorously, Goliath actually tells Elisa that he didn't realize she was beautiful until he saw her as a Gargoyle, then gets called on apparently finding her ugly before, because all women everywhere are skilled at "Play ball with the boy's mind" game apparently :)). By the end, it was insanely obvious they were in love, but both were unwilling to break the species divide (since they couldn't really marry or have babies). The final moment of the series (since Goliath Chronicles NEVER HAPPENED, much like TMNT 3 or Highlander 2) was awesome, as they featured the duo's first kiss. Elisa gives him the mother of all "seductive woman" looks after planting one on the guy, and he freezes into the Stone Sleep with the most satisfying smirk ever.

Elisa- Capable But Not Mighty:
-Elisa is a very solid, Skill-heavy PL 7, allowing her to back up the boys in combat, mainly because she's so accurate with the gun. Hell, she once shot a ROPE that was holding a crate of rugs, just to save Broadway's life as his statue-form fell (well, that's pretty much just "you're sh*tting me" cartoon physics and aiming, not to mention the AMAZING COINCIDENCE that a rope was holding a crate of rugs RIGHT WHERE THEY WERE FIGHTING, but still...). She has a TON of Skills & Advantages, as she was the ultimate back-up and Skillmonkey the team needed (Lexington was a Computer & Tech-Head, but Elisa had all the Bluff, Disguise, interpersonal skills, etc. that saved the day). And she fights a pretty good avoidance-style type of combat, tripping and shooting stuff with ease. Of course, in-show she never really USED the gun for much, since it's a KIDS SHOW and all, but in a campaign, go nuts.

-Also, I had to fight every single fibre of my being by not giving her 150 ranks of Attractive, just so ya know :). The issue is, though Elisa is drawn as staggeringly-beautiful, she's never once been shown using her looks to her advantage (even in the BELLE DRESS, complete with gun-holster as garter-belt once she RIPS OFF THE DRESS to reveal friggin' thigh-high stockings with a holster and oh shit, I wrecked my keyboard again), and she actuallys seems pretty bad at manipulating men sometimes. She's a good actress and liar (she often goes undercover), but she has as much luck with both genders.
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Goliath! Brooklyn! Broadway! Hudson! Elisa!)

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:55 pm -Also, I had to fight every single fibre of my being by not giving her 150 ranks of Attractive, just so ya know :). The issue is, though Elisa is drawn as staggeringly-beautiful, she's never once been shown using her looks to her advantage
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Hot as the sun, but she really never leveraged her good looks in any noticeable way through the series.
She was too busy being a bad ass cop.

... I am a littler surprised, I kind of expected more Belle dress pictures. ;~)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, I've got to admit that Elisa was probably my first "cartoon girl crush" as when I was young. She was just so . . . amazing. Smart, funny, not perfect but still incredible. And that Bell dress . . . woof. It was already amazing on her, and then she turned it into a miniskirt with thigh high stockings . . . that was a game changer for young me.

Plus -

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I was more into Demona....because of course I was
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:03 am I was more into Demona....because of course I was
Always liked them both. Elisa was just... well, I'll let Jab gush about her some more, he does it better ;~)

And Demona? Well, I've always had a soft spot for redheads, and I'm just as susceptible to the "Redeemable Bad Girl" concept.
Not that Demona wants to be redeemed.
Jabroniville

Dr. Sevarius

Post by Jabroniville »

DOCTOR ANTON SEVARIUS
Played By:
Tim Curry
Role: The Mad Scientist
PL 2 (46), PL 6 (46) Scientist
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 8 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 10 (+16)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+8)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+3)
Persuasion 1 (+3)
Technology 7 (+13)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2, Ultimate Science Skill

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Science!)- Sevarius does a lot of stuff "just because". He's a true Mad Scientist, often experimenting and cheesing off the wrong people just for the sake of discovery.
Enemy (Goliath, Talon, Thailog)- Sevarius makes a lot of dangerous enemies- he mutated Talon against his will, pissed off Goliath, and created a true monster in Thailog, who tried to execute him.
Secret (Not Crippled)- Sevarius walks with a cane, and will be slowed considerably without it... except he's lying, and that's a cover.
Responsibility (Coward)- Sevarius is easily-threatened and cowed into doing the bidding of dangerous people.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (46)

-Anton Sevarius is the "Doctor Moreau" of the Gargoyles Universe, experimenting upon living subjects while working in secret for Xanatos. They faked the Good Doctor's death, then got to work on creating Clones and who knows what else? He was played rather hammily by Tim Curry (who, honestly, doesn't play many understated characters at all), and was kinda fun, but he never really got the beating he deserved. He's just kind of... THERE... in numerous episodes- basically, if they need some genetic shenanigans in an episode, it's Dr. Sevarius doing the work. He creates the Labyrinth Clan, he creates Thailog, and more.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:21 am Yeah, I've got to admit that Elisa was probably my first "cartoon girl crush" as when I was young. She was just so . . . amazing. Smart, funny, not perfect but still incredible. And that Bell dress . . . woof. It was already amazing on her, and then she turned it into a miniskirt with thigh high stockings . . . that was a game changer for young me.

Plus -

I had a tendency to lean towards G.I.Joe:RAH,specifically Cortney Kreiger,a.k.a Cover Girl(Back when she was a Blonde before they tried to turn her into Scarlett-lite after Pyramid Of Darkness).......i just have a thing for women who can work with their hands,i guess. ;)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Sevarius was fun if for no other reason than Tim Curry was clearly having a blast playing the character. Curry seemed like the type to really enjoy a "evil for evil's sake" bad guy like Sevarius. Sevarius was also one of the instances that really cemented how evil Xanatos could be. He took an extremely loyal bodyguard, had him infected with a mutagen just to see what would happen, and callously referred to the Labyrinth Clan as "merely the test subjects". It showed that Xanatos wasn't even one of the bad guys who valued his employees based on their effectiveness and loyalty, anyone who wasn't his father, Owen or Fox was fair game to be messed with.

Which makes the turn Xanatos took later all the more impressive. The only animated character arc that matches the kind of stuff we saw in Gargoyles was Zuko's arc in Avatar.

As for G.I.Joe, I was always a Lady Jaye fan. Something about her voice and that figure and grrrrrrrrOWL.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:50 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:55 pm -Also, I had to fight every single fibre of my being by not giving her 150 ranks of Attractive, just so ya know :). The issue is, though Elisa is drawn as staggeringly-beautiful, she's never once been shown using her looks to her advantage
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Hot as the sun, but she really never leveraged her good looks in any noticeable way through the series.
She was too busy being a bad ass cop.

... I am a littler surprised, I kind of expected more Belle dress pictures. ;~)
Yeah, tragically, they are fairly difficult to come by online. Any time someone does FanArt of Elisa, they tend to drop the clothing ENTIRELY, not put her in the sexiest outfit ever :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:21 am Yeah, I've got to admit that Elisa was probably my first "cartoon girl crush" as when I was young. She was just so . . . amazing. Smart, funny, not perfect but still incredible. And that Bell dress . . . woof. It was already amazing on her, and then she turned it into a miniskirt with thigh high stockings . . . that was a game changer for young me.

Plus -

Mother of f*cking GOD they were good at animation. It's a pity that this is arguably the peak of TV-series animation, as this quality was never reached again. Everything that came later was always more cartoonish and stylized, which couldn't allow for this kind of mind-blowing, insanely-sexy subtlety. With just a LOOK, wearing a goddamn jacket and jeans, Elisa can rock Jessica Rabbit and Holli Wood in the "Sexy cartoon character" department, when those two are at their cleavage-baring sexiest.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Also, WOOOOOO- 500 pages! In only a year! My GOD this topic is gonna be insanely-huge after a couple of years. Providing Ares and I don't go to war over him going insane with Mod-Power or something :).

Personally, I never dug Lady Jaye as a kid... it's as an ADULT that I realize she trumps Scarlett in the sexiness department. That more-boyish haircut, her cleavage, and that VOICE, just absolutely rock these days.