Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Lobo! Barda! Female Furies! Orion! Darkseid!)

Post by Ken »

In the comics, Orion's Mother Box was used to calm his "inner rage", which meant it could also change his unpleasant, angry, almost distorted face into a Kirby heroic face. Part of the reason for the helmet was because Orion's face would distort in combat.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Re: Justice League Unlimited

Post by Jabroniville »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:18 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:40 pmWonder Woman raping half the Thanagarians by herself
I wasn't aware the movie was written by G.R.R Martin.
Haha, written eight years ago. I didn’t catch that- I don’t talk like that anymore :).
squirrelly-sama

Re: Justice League Unlimited

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 am
squirrelly-sama wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:18 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:40 pmWonder Woman raping half the Thanagarians by herself
I wasn't aware the movie was written by G.R.R Martin.
Haha, written eight years ago. I didn’t catch that- I don’t talk like that anymore :).
I don't mind, it just surprised me while I was eating something. My first thought was "I have definitely missed out on some very interesting television."
Jabroniville

Atomic Skull

Post by Jabroniville »

ATOMIC SKULL (Joseph Martin)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Curt Swan
First Appearance: The Adventures of Superman #483 (Oct. 1991)
Role: Powerhouse, Blaster, Big Dumb Villain
Voice Actor: Lex Lang, Raphael Sbarge
Finest Moment: Turned back and saved Hawkgirl from certain death, despite not really having to.
PL 10 (122)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 10 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Blast) 3 (+9)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
Fire Blast 11 (22) -- [23]
  • AE: "Flames" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (20)
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 3) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Blast +9 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +11 (+2 Impervious), Fortitude +9, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- Atomic Skull is a big, strong guy with green flames constantly erupting from his body.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 11 (122)

-Atomic Skull is as simple as it gets: a big, ugly, distinctive-looking freak with tons of hitting power. He was initially a minor background villain in JLU, but started showing up more and more often, being one of the most visually-interesting of Luthor & Grodd's little gang. Eventually he ended up as one of the few survivors of Darkseid's attack on Luthor, and he helped out against the Parademons in the end. His stats are equally-simple- he's a big strong Blaster. He's strong enough that it's a bit weird that Wildcat was thinking about fighting him in his focus episode.

About the Performer: Atomic Skull was played by two different people. Lex Lang, with an AMAZING name for a DC-themed actor, is a career Voiceover guy typically doing anime and video games- his biggest roles are Dr. Neo Cortex in the "Crash Bandicoot" series, Sanosuke in "Rorouni Kenshin", and maybe Captain Harlock. Raphael Sbarge has had a similar career (he was Kaidan in "Mass Effect"), but also does live action.
Jabroniville

The Shade

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SHADE (Thomas Swift)
Created By:
E.E. Hibbard
First Appearance: Flash Comics #33 (Sept. 1942)
Role: Recurring Foe, Fan's Eye-View Villain
Voice Actor: Stephen McHattie
Finest Moment: Helping defeat the Big Seven with Grodd's Injustice Gang (or) Realizing Giganta is a mutated chimp, and then shrugging because he'd do her anyways
PL 10 (149)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+7)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Shadows) 2 (+10)
Stealth 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Defensive Throw, Evasion, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up

Powers:
"Creature of the Night" Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]

"Nightstick" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted 2- Only Shade) [40]
Snare 10 (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range) Linked to Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Sustained +2) (55) -- (62 points)
  • AE: Snare 10 (Feats: Reversible) Linked to Blast 6 (Extras: Sustained +2) (55)
  • AE: "Dark Beams" Blast 10 (Extras: Multiattack) (30)
  • AE: "Dark Wave" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (30)
  • AE: "Darkness Falls" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Attack, Area- 60ft. Cone) (8)
  • AE: "Darkness Falls" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Attack, Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (10)
  • AE: "Shadow Hand" Move Object 10 (20)
  • AE: "Shadowjump" Teleport 8 (Flaws: Medium- Shadows) (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Snare +10 Area (+10 Affliction & +6 Damage, DC 20 & 16)
Snare +10 (+10 Affliction & +6 Damage, DC 20 & 16)
Dark Beams +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Dark Wave +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 18 (149)

-The Shade, like Copperhead, ended up a villain henchman A LOT, thanks to his fairly unique power that made him ideal for team situations. "Guy who can blind & snare everyone else" is eminently useful in massive group battles, you see. He was kind of a funny guy, and often thought of as one of the more non-crazy villains (a far cry from his old-fashioned rogueish gentleman behavior in the famous James Robinson Starman run), but it didn't really give him any cred. He was kind of useful in the "regular guy perspective", often acting a bit tired and cynical of the schemes of the various villains. It made him useful when Gorilla Grodd had to explain his whole "Secret Society" concept, because Shade actually needed convincing to make it work.

-Shade is a PL 10, losing a bit because he NEEDED his Nightstick to cast shadows, and was pretty worthless without it. OK, he could fight pretty well and hold his own against Batman... for about ten seconds. Then he'd get whooped but good. And yeah, he doesn't have anywhere near the power levels of his comic version (who comes across being nigh-unstoppable, or at least PL 12), being a Strangling Snare/Blast/Telekinesis/Teleport kinda guy with some karate skill.

About the Performer: Stephane McHattie is a Canadian acator with a career made up mostly of bit parts. He played Elaine's manipulative psychiatrist boyfriend on "Seinfeld" for a bit, and was a regular in "Emily of New Moon" (Canadians will remember that being pushed as the new "Road to Avonlea" after time finally ran out for that series). His last film role of note was as the original Nite Owl in "Watchmen".
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:26 am I'm curious if you'll stat the Justice Guild, the Justice Society stand ins (because they weren't allowed to use the JSA at the time) from the Justice League two-parter "Legends".
I have them on the list- wasn't really looking forward to re-watching the whole two-parter, though, despite a couple of great lines amidst the fairly-dull tale.
squirrelly-sama

Re: The Shade

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:41 am Image
"Every f***ing day. Every single f***ing day when i come home this little f*** just sits there and gives me this stupid look on his face."

I'm kinda curious about the image choice here, I don't remember there being spectral photo-realistic bear furries in JLU but perhaps I'm just repressing some trauma.Those eyes, those empty glassy eyes. They haunt me...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

haha, it was the only thing on Google Image Search that showed his projecting cane :). I'm thinking it may have been part of the painted background of one of the Injustice Gang episodes of the first season.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And now more old quotes!

Female Furies and other things:
Murkglow:
I don't know, I gotta at least respect Barda's outfit as being functional (it actually looks like armor that might protect you and isn't a chainmail bikini *gasp*) which is more then I can say for most outfits. Other then that it doesn't really bother me much to look at any more then any other superhero outfit. I mean if I can stand looking at Superman's underoos on the outside of his costume with his red booties and a big "S Shield" on his chest I am more then capable of looking at Barda's outfit without batting an eye. In fact I dare say I prefer it!
Woodclaw:
Ditto on both. Given the standard of design of the New Gods' outfits, Barda isn't the worst eyesore and at least she looks like she's wearing full body armor.
Me:
Michael Turner does a pretty good rendition of it, adding more sharp edges, but still, I think it's too bright and primary-coloured, in addition to the over-designing. She doesn't look like as big a tool as Orion or Vundabarr, but I think it's still pretty bad.

I'm a fan of functional outfits in general, but throwing every primary colour into it hurts my eyes :).
Unbeliever:
I actually think it works FOR a New God. But, the New Gods have terrible costume designs, that's part of their schtick. And, their costumes are meaninglessly brightly colored and overdesigned. So, she fits within that aesthetic.

Darkseid, though, has a really simple costume. Maybe that's where the war really comes from ... intergalactic fashion war!

Though now I think about High Father's costume is really simple, too. But, you hardly ever see him.
Freeclint:
Man, am I glad to hear you guys disliked Public Enemies as well. I really did not like it and almost turned it off. Had it not been for the voice acting, I probably would have. (Conroy IS Batman)

My friend who still reads comics raved over it and I was like, "It was bad, dude."

I really, really liked Crisis on Two Earths however, and wish it had had (some of) the voice talent from Public Enemies.

EDIT:
GREAT Luthor build. Resisting urges to run a DCAU game...
Danelsan:
I kind of like Barda's armor, including the intricate headress. I think it could do without the skirt but I don't find it any more busy than a huge number of other heroes.

I can see why other people mind find it over-designed, but too colorful? It is blue, red and yellow - the same color scheme Superman uses.

That particular drawing of her looks way too thin for me, though - like pretty much any gal drawn by Michael Turner. As far as I can remember they all look like somebody stretched the picture a bit, but the impression is worse on girls that I feel should be depicted as a bit more muscular, like Barda.

EDIT: all that aside, the write-up seems spot on, Jab!
Flying Cobra (re- a Turner Barda pic):
Barda should NEVER be depicted as this skinny. NEVER.

I am SO glad they didn't use this pic for her entry in H&V 1.
me:
Michael Turner was definitely a fan of the bulimics, yesiree bob... I'm inclined to agree heavily. The fact that almost all his women had identical bodies was extra-annoying (though that bugs me about any artist). It was a nice rendition of the costume, but not the physicality underneath.
Me, bitching about the Animal Builds the Main Rulebooks used:
Hey, I finally got the GM's guide, and went right to their Animal Builds. Did you know that a Brachiosaurus can lift over 3,000 tons? And that a T-Rex could lift two-hundred? MAN, these are some tough reptiles! Okay, I know it's just three pages of builds for most of these things, so they're not gonna go all-out on them, but MAN some of this is funny.

Rats are PL 3 (one below a Dolphin). Sharks do as much damage as a fairly-strong dude in combat (with no Growth, this is likely a Mako or something). Horses are at least pretty strong, and not the embarassing D&D version. In general, my animal builds are like twice as expensive as these ones, and often three times as much. They really scrimp on Skills as well. And they call Pteranodon a Dinosaur (it is not- it is a flying reptile of a different group). No animal has anything based around Survival, despite most animals having an easier time of it in the wild than most humans (who would gain the Skill for it).

Curiously, despite them stating outright that anything higher than INT -4 isn't a normal animal, Dolphins & Whales are higher, but Apes are not. And some creatures have negative Dexterity (including Elephants, who actually DO have manipulative limbs that are very efficient at Sleight of Hand sometimes), while others don't, and it's handed out completely arbitrarily (why would a Monkey have less than a Shark? What the helling hell is an animal gonna use DEX for anyways? Ranged Attacks? Picking pockets? DRIVING?
Murkglow:
Oh Jab you're so funny... Taking the sample animal builds seriously... :lol:
Murkglow:
Handily defeated? I don't know if I'd say that. Which fight are you talking about? The Batman/Superman one where Darkseid kidnaps Kara and WW and Barda fight four furies?

In the comic the furies fought pretty well: beating Barda and bloodying WW. In fact WW only won because Granny was stupid and let WW catch her with the lasso. Then she forced the furies to back down on threat of killing Granny. I'd hardly consider that a handy win...

In the movie adaptation, it's still a 4 on 2 fight which goes roughly the same way. The only major difference was that at the end of the fight (Barda still is captured) WW instead uses her lasso to pull one of the furies off Barda and Barda gets to beat up on one of them while WW finishes off the others before finally capturing granny. That might make it sound like WW pwnd then 3v1 but it wasn't quite like that.
me:
Re-reading that fight (and it's really only a page and a half, really), Barda & WW have things to their advantage at first, beating some ass (Stompa gets a spear through the gut, Lashina is hurt). Harriet scores a wound on WW, which distracts Barda into taking a Lash to the face. That's about it for the brawl (WW is about to own Harriet). So maybe "handily" isn't the right word- The gang practically went down like Mooks under the Minion rules, but dished out appropriate damage... actually, that's almost about right for Minion Rules- the offensive potential is the same, but they go down to single-shots. Still, they apparently didn't fight a bit once WW snared Granny. Kind of an easy out for the heroes, there.

and re: Miracle's Will Save, I figured +10 was a LOT, considering the standards of the universe (he's a notch below Superman, and two below friggin' BATMAN), but it's one of those things that could go either way. He still makes caps either way, so I can boost him a bit. Probably even Ultimate Will.
Grayson:
I'm kinda late to the discussion but I have to agree with some of the others: I kinda like Barda's costume. I also agree with Catsi on Darkseid's finest moment. I remember when I first saw that I was like "oh f***." I mean that was just cold blooded. Granny Goodness creeps me out. Every time I see her I think of a super powered Barbara Bush. Lastly, Mr. Miracle's costume does look stupid. One day we should have a stupidest looking comic book costume contest, like a tournament/poll or something.
Gazman (re: my comments on the Furies being too strong if they're actually as good as they're said to be):
Yeah. Sometimes fluff plus fluff equals too much crunch. I also saw this problem with Thor and Deadpool. Superior strength and superior skill and weapons is just too much for the relative power levels they actually display.
SUPERMAN- TAS:
Catsi:
regarding Superman TAS it really does improve and continue to improve througout its run. Liek Batman before it, it gives new fresh updates on the villains, also it shows Superman as someone struggling with this aweosme power and responsibility he has.

The Superman Series IMHO even if you dont like the villains or consider them subpar, is worth it for the voice acting alone. Tim Dalys Superman is spot on, as is Dana Delaneys Lois Lane. Clancy Browns Lex Luthor is now as iconic as Mark Hamils Joker, and Michael Ironside to this day is the only voice actor I would remotely consider for Darkseid as he gives an absolutely chilling performance as the Lord of Apocalypse.

The series has many iconic moments, but one of the most absolutely incredible comes when Darkseid in a moment of Pique to deny Superman a victory Murders Dan Turpin in cold blood. No last minute rescue no he was just teleported, nothing, He ends up plain Dead.

The funeral moment and supermans subsequent reactions are emotional moments, and tearjerkers. Moments that any live action series would kill to have as a ratings grabber.

The Worlds Finest trio of episodes to me Is the true best triple run of episodes in any series. The way Batman and Superman play off each others, and their subsequent dislike and distrust, is just classic, and leads to some awesome moments including the Joker one upping Superman causing Bats to have to save his big blue butt. The Scenes where the two of them discover each others secret identities is hillarious.

all told I rank the Superman series very high on the list of my favorite animated series.
Woodclaw:
The posts above by Jab and Catsi pretty much sums up my opinion as well. All the DCAU productions got better over time (with a couple of glaring exceptions: JLU final season and the BtAS redesigns which worked only so-so) and they were able to pump so many awesome ideas.

About Superman I think that te DCAU did two things right.
First, they depowered him a bit. He was still horribly powerful, but he took some poundings that his comic counterpart never had and never will, like being slowed down by machine gun fire or throw away by Batman with a judo toss.
Second, they took one of John Byrne best ideas and made Superman not super-intelligent. Seriously, one of the thing that bugged me most of the Silver/Bronze Age Superman (and the current one) was super-intelligence. Having Superman at a normal human level of intelligence makes Luthor a valid arch-enemy, since he can challenge Supes in the only field where the Big Blue powers are a non-factor.
Kenseido:
So I only saw a few Superman episodes as well, but I was a very devoted JL/JLU fan. I remember when I first saw the JL episode where Darkseid asks the League for help with Braniac. I didn't get Superman's reaction to leave the whole planet of Apokolyps to die. Then I saw the two parter Legacy, and I totally got it. Not only was Supes ready to let Darkseid go down for what he did, the fact that his people continued to worship him after Supes "freed" them was just as poinant.

I thought they did a great job of storytelling in that series and Superman had some great moments, even if he did spend the first season under the Worf-effect.
Woodclaw:
Which in this case was totally appropriate. Keep in mind that whne working on anything that includes Superman an author had to fight with the idea that he's outright invicible (thus unwritable) at every step. In this particular case the Worf-effect was a good way to redefine the character.
Catsi:
I actually think calling ti the worf effect does a disservice to the writers. They made superman acutally have to think instead of just flying in with fist of steel, and heat vision.

While he wasnt super intelligent he wasnt stupid either. he was an educated and smart individual who took a pounding from some villains at first and used his brain to get an advantage that made his powers more effective for taking down the villain.

Especially ones like Parasite, or metallo that he couldnt take on in a fist fight for obvious reasons.
Woodclaw then says "pretty much my point"
Woodclaw:
In terms of significance for the serie that moment (Dan Turpin's death) was the equivalent of Amazing Spider-Man #121 (usually considered the start of the Bornze Age of comics). It was the time when it became painfully clear that the heroes can't save everybody, that victory always comes at a price. I loved every freaking minute of that scene and those to follow.
Horsenhero:
I must admit, my DCAU knowledge is a bit sketchy, but from what I've seen, they actually do a better job of making the heroes and their conflicts interesting than most of the comics. Heck, any medium in which DC writers can successfully draw raves for Captain Atom, the Question (two personal faves, but mostly overlooked by the majority of fandom) and Vigilante of all characters has got to be doing something right.
ProdigyDuck:
As a big-time Supes fan, I love your DCAU Superman build. PL 12 is perfect.
Me:
Thanks! I figure PL 12 is perfect for the Big Seven's most-powerful-five (Supes, Flash, WW, GL, Hawkgirl), while Batman & J'onn make up the PL 11 category, but counter the PL for versatility (and massive Points expenditure). That way they're POWERFUL, but still weak enough to be beatable for most of their PL 10-ish Rogues, not to mention some of the Leaguers who'd be WAY beneath them in other works.
SUPERGIRL:
Thrincold:
The Supergirl movie wasn't horrible by 80s standards, better than the last two Supes and Bats sequels from that era. At least she didn't use a cellophane chest plate to stop the bearded clone of herself.
Catsi:
actually for me I found JLU supergirls finest moment when she took on the entire mind controleld legion and Green lantern and held her own brilliantly. She was tosisng them around like ragdolls untill they finally overhwlemed her, but she kept on kicking long enough for Braniac to free the legion.
L-Space:
Cool, thanks a lot Jab! As for some good villains from the show, I was always fond of Blight, Inque, Curare (the scimitar chick), Spellbinder (who had a cool costume design) and Shriek.

I've noticed the increase in Wikis too and have found it quite useful for getting info on the lesser known characters I've seen in comics. Though honestly when reading the Age of X (which had several mutant characters that were unknown to me) I found myself checking out your thread to get the info before trying the marvel wiki. :D

I noticed the lull in postings on the ATT last month as well. I would post more often but a lot of the time I either can't quite articulate what I'm trying to say or don't feel that I have anything constructive to add besides telling people "good job" and "keep it up" which I know some people find annoying.
Woodclaw:
Well, in the DVD commentaries to Superman TAS, Bruce Timm and Paul Dini said something about DC forbiding two things about Supergirl: to call her Kara Zor-El and to make her a "real" Kryptonian. As a result they put down some notes about her being more resistant to Kryptonite poisoning since she was an Argosian, but they never developed it past this point. I guess that when they worked on JLU the notes poped out somewhere.
Arkrite:
Yeah, in the commentary they mentioned that they'd always intended to have John and Hawkgirl get back together... problem was they made Vixen too likable. And John was John, as you said he made his choice he wasn't just going to dump Vixen because Hawkgirl was available again.
If they'd had a few more seasons this could have played out quite interestingly.
You see I have no problems with men disagreeing with me over what woman they like more.
After all, the more people who disagree with me, the less I'll have to compete against ;~)
(About Batgirl's pic)homina homina homina indeed!
Wowsers!
METALLO:
BSDitigalQ (re: Metallo's look):
I dunno, I kinda hate it when artists draw him like a generic Terminator clone. The whole "half-robot" look acknowledges that Metallo used to be, y'know, an actual person, and still is. Making him look like just a robot robs him of any character and humanity to me. Its fine with Ultron cause Ultron is completely inhuman. Metallo still is, mentally if not physically, and I think that deserves representation in his design and portrayal, instead of merely a generic killer robot.
MisterO:
In that pic Metallo looks an awful lot like James Bama's Doc Savage: the torn shirt, the shape of the face and the haircut are even similar.
haha, an argument between Unbeliever & St. Matthew re: Drax (I have this fight literally every time I mention the Drax/Kratos thing, though- people are FIGHTY about it:
Unbeliever wrote:
Seriously? Kratos and Drax 2.0 are crazily similar. In attitude, aspect, and general design. They are both athletic, agile, two weapon fighters with extremely similar weapons. Further, they exhibit the same attitude (notably their err ... negotiation style). They have more similarities than Shaft and Speedy do, and it's pretty obvious that those two have connections.
St. Matthew:
Dude, you can't copyright a personality type that actually exists. An while they are both athletic, Drax is not all that agile, nor are there weapons at all similiar. Drax uses 2 knives, Kratos uses two serrated edged scimitars chained to his wrists, which can be used as a reach weapon: Yet Drax's choice in weapons varies with the mission.
Unbeliever:
Please do me a favor and stop conflating copyright (legal concept, heavily structured by Congress, set out in the US Constitution!, subject of 500+ years of Anglo-American Law) and the statement that A is a ripoff of B (aesthetic and stylistc judgment).

This is a pet peeve, and something I called out explicitly in my post. Not all bad (aesthetically, morally, and so on) are illegal and vice-versa.
[/threadjack]
Jabroniville

Rocket Red

Post by Jabroniville »

ROCKET RED (Dmitri Pushkin)
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Joe Staton
First Appearance: Justice League #3 (July 1987)
Role: Powersuit Guy, Russian Guy
Voice Actor: None
Finest Moment: None
PL 9 (133)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat 2 (+8)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Benefit (League Member), Ranged Attack 7

Powers:
"Forced Evolution"
Blast 9 (Feats: Split) [19]
"Mecha-Empathy" Affliction 8 (Tech Skill of Creator; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Flaws: Limited to Machines) [4]

"Rocked Red Power Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [15]
Protection 2 (2)
"Rocket Boots" Flight 8 (250 mph) (16)
-- (18 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Blasters +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+9 Armour), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (The Justice League)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 13 (133)

-Rocket Red's another D-League backgrounder on JLU and his comic book self is one of those bottom-tier unsung-hero characters that a few fans really like, and most others have barely heard of. He was on the mid-80s Justice League, which is pretty much like Marvel's Defenders in that it staffed a group of unknowns and had Generic Super-Hero Adventures (which are rarely a bad thing, mind you- "high concept" books often suck), and since they had lower-end characters, they could kill them off, give them families, or even alter their whole character, which often gives the writers more creativity and freedom, hence the fan-love. But I know so little of the guy I had to check which of his powers actually come from his ARMOR- I made him a generic Powersuit Guy/natural Flying Brick, plus "Mecha-Empathy". PL 8.5 like a lot of the lower-tier Leaguers, he isn't TOO bad, but far from the elites.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

As a Marvel fan who's never been interested in DC comics it pains me to admit that the Justice League animated show was truly great, disregarding any nostalgia for the cartoons I was obsessed with as a child (such as the 90's X-Men) i'd say it was probably one of the best animated superhero shows ever created. The animation style was awesome and I remember thinking how much better the sound effects were in comparison to other shows, to use a wrestling term that I've seen Jab use, they really helped 'sell' the fight scenes.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

In general, I think DC does awesome with team on team fight scenes. Trying to get that feel at the table is something I always aspire to.

However, I have noted that the places they fight in are always ludicrously, unrealistically large and open. :)
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Wonder Woman

Post by Jabroniville »

Being, like, FAMOUS for being particularly Top-Tier Beautiful, as well as being powerful and athletic, Wonder Woman is the trickiest of characters to both cast and draw. She must look tough, but have sufficient "HELL YES" to come off as stunning, too. Thankfully, the gang at DCAU were up to the challenge.

WONDER WOMAN (Princess Diana of Themysciera)
Created By:
William Moulton Marston & Harry G. Peter
First Appearance: All Star Comics #8 (Dec. 1941)
Role: Hot Amazon, Naiive Newcomer, Flying Brick
Voice Actor: Susan Eisenberg
Finest Moment: Beat The Annihilator, Hades, Felix Faust & Destroyed Half the Thanagarian Fleet
PL 12 (242)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 2 (+14)
Deception 1 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Expertise (History) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Mythology) 9 (+12)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+12)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+8, +10 Attractive)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 2 (+5)
Treatment 2 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Benefit (League Member), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 7 (Invisible Jet), Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Critical (Improvised Weapons), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Interpose, Last Stand, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10, Redirect, Takedown 2

Powers:
Power Lifting 1 (200 tons) [1]
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

"Magic Lasso" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [16]
"Single Snare" Affliction 12 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to One Target, Limited Degree) Linked to Ranged Strength (25) -- (26 points)
  • AE: "Grab Multiples" Affliction 12 (Strength & Will; Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless & Compelled) (Feats: Reversible, Tether) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Extras: Limited Degree, Limited to One Group of Targets) (18)
"Magic Bracelets" (Flaws: Removable) [22]
Deflect 12 (12)
Enhanced Dodge 2 (2)
Impervious Toughness 13 (Extras: Sustained +0) (13)
-- (27 points)

Equipment:
"Invisible Jet" (Gargantuan, ST 11, Flight 8- 500 mph, Defense -2, Toughness 11, Features- Navigation, Concealment Visuals 2) (34)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Magic Lasso +12 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Grab Multiples +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12 Bracelets, DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +10

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)
Responsibility (Hippolyta & Paradise Island)
Relationship (Batman)- In the first "JLU" season, it's pretty clear that Diana has the hots for Batman. She teases and flirts with him, while he tries to stay calm and unperturbed.
Rivalry (Hawkgirl)- Diana never forgave Hawkgirl for betraying the League in the first place, and it took a long time for her to warm up to her teammate.
Responsibility (The Will of the Gods)- Diana must do Zeus' bidding, and even boys to the informal Hermes.

Total: Abilities: 104 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 44 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 13 (242)

-Wonder Woman, as I've said many times before, is among the more difficult, problematic heroes in the DCU to get right. By the time JLU came out, the most iconic portrayal of the character was in a quaint, famously-silly 1970s TV series, and the comics had rebooted her so many times that it was clear that even PRO COMIC WRITERS struggled with DC's third-most-iconic superhero. The character is just... TRICKY. She's supposed to be a peace-loving communicator in a genre that loves ass-kicking. Her '40s comics are so silly and full of fetishes (even from a female-supremacist male creator) that it's hard to link back to THOSE, and the '50s and '60s stuff is among the more dated, plodding works of the era. George Perez ramped up the "Greek God Drama" in the '80s, and that kept her going for a while, but she would need chance after chance to hit big in the comics. And it never REALLY stuck. The movie famously did well, largely through a kind of "Female Power Fantasy" drama, and some kick-ass sequences (Winnie Holzman, writer of the Wicked musical's Book, said that both Wicked and Wonder Woman struck big for the same reason- "Women don't get to SEE that story very often").

-So Justice League had its work cut out for them with Wonder Woman, who hadn't had a big hit in eons by that point. But they REALLY pulled it off with her, largely by dropping the "Wise Mom" thing and making her a naive outsider who needed things explained to her. Like, she was a GOOD PERSON with an inherent sense of morality, but had to have "Man's World" explained to her. And she was naive, NOT stupid- she pretty easily found out who was bad and who was good.

-This Diana believed in peace, but was a warrior at heart and would be one of the first Leaguers to get truly enraged (much moreso than the DC versions- this Diana had downright ANGER ISSUES). Powerful, but not over-the-top. Second to Superman in raw strength, but by far the most destructive in every fight (the writers/animators admitted this was deliberate; to showcase Diana vs. Clark, they had her do all the goon-sweeping, smashing up the dregs while Superman took on the main bad guy, thus having her cause more overall damage). And she wasn't a dopey "no man can be worth of her" virgin either- she showed an interest in men that wasn't forced or stupid, which is rare for this character (ironic how the hottest/most powerful woman ever can't find a man worthy of her, while every male hero has a Token Chick- men who read the comics honestly seem to take issue with ANY man being worthy of her). Though it was a great failing of the show that they TOTALLY dropped the Wonder Woman/Batman love thing going on in the undercurrents of JLU's season one- they just never mentioned the damn thing again!

-WW had some neat bits- her and Princess Arianna was fun- the most Lesbariffic Girls Night Out ever, complete with a bratty Princess ditching her bodyguards, finding "party favors", and growing up very suddenly after the death of her father. I loved how the last season dealt with the "Hawkgirl Problem"- it uses the old saw of "Women don't get along" by having Diana be the ONE LEAGUER who refuses to forgive Hawkgirl for giving up the team to the Thanagarians (the Flash adorably tries to get his two best girls to make up), Shayera rips on WW for being too perfect ("I bet you don't even go to the--"), and ultimately they make peace in the Most Superhero Way Ever- through the glory of Mutually Kicking of the Ass, as Diana tries to take the Nth Metal Mace to the Underworld, Shayera's all like "Nuh-uh", and they go to hell and smash the shit out of the Annihilator robot while getting all sweaty and grouchy. It's adorable.

-Wonder Woman is nearly as expensive as Batman, and a fair bit moreso than Superman, who is kind of a good comparison to Diana here- he's 2 points stronger & tougher, but comparatively less accurate & able to dodge- and Diana is actually PL 12 Defensively, whereas Supes was PL 11.5 because he tends to take a LOT of hits. In addition, she is a MUCH better fighter- Diana is the member of the League MOST capable of adjusting her Caps, not to mention being REALLY good with Improvised Weapons (as mentioned, her "big battle" scenes result in TONS of area damage). She does massive damage in Melee, has an excellent Snare, ranged damage (a favourite tactic is to grab a big piece of vehicle or masonry and just launch it at someone else), and even de-powered, she could still beat the crap out of a large group of people. So she stats out as a heavy-hitting, accurate Takedown Attacker who can modify nearly every cap she has (Defensive, Accurate, Power & All-Out Attack) to fit any situation, making her one of the most versatile Flying Bricks around.

-He Devices require a bit of explanation. I think she's better at Dodging with her Bracelets (a favoured move is to cross her arms to avoid BIG attacks, even huge energy beams), in addition to the Sustained Impervious Toughness. Her Lasso is sort of like a Snare (but renders guys Impaired since their arms or legs are usually bound, and Defenseless), but also adds the Compelled portion of Affliction (Abnegazzar was also Compelled to take Diana to Hades' Library, not just tell her where it was). She can also use her Strength at Range using the thing (basically Move Object, which is just Ranged Strength anyways). She can also grab a large group of people at once (the old "tie 'em with a big lasso" trick), Reverse the Snare, and also packs the Limited to One Target (a -2 Flaw in my book), since she can't just keep Snaring everybody around her- she's gotta let go of one person to use it again.

About the Performer: A voice actress with a raspy, throaty voice, Susan Eisenberg has actually not received that much work before, but was very well-cast- Wonder Woman is quite young and naive in many respects, but is also a mature, very responsible and authoritative woman, so much like with Queen Elsa of Arendelle, casting an older woman with a very mature vocie was a great idea. WW is by far her biggest role- everything else is minor one-offs, Viper from "Jackie Chan Adventures", or video games.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bsdigitalq

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Orion! Darkseid! V. Savage! The Shade! Wonder Woman!)

Post by bsdigitalq »

My favorite incarnation of Wondy. Absolute perfection. <3
RUSCHE

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Orion! Darkseid! V. Savage! The Shade! Wonder Woman!)

Post by RUSCHE »

My favorite WW moment is when the League thinks Toyman killed Superman, she was about to punch his head clean off and Flash had to talk her down. It shows out of ALL the League she is the one to be most afraid of, not Batman.