Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Cryotek

Post by Jabroniville »

Strength - "Three suns aligned pour forth their light and fill the archer's bow with might!"

CRYOTEK
Role:
The Strong Guy
Played by: Bernard Erhard
PL 8 (148)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 1 (+5)
Athletics 6 (+10)
Close Attack (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Knight) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Ruler of Northalia) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 3 (+5)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Ruler of Northalia), Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Flail), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Interpose, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
"Spectral Knight Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [28]
Protection 2 (2)
Immunity 10 (Fire & Falling Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (5)

"Bear Form"
Morph 1 (Flaws: Recognizable- Blue Body) (4)

Reduced Strength 1 (-2)
Reduced Agility 2 (-4)

Enhanced Skills 9: (4.5)
Athletics 2 (+12)
Intimidation 2 (+12 Size)
Perception 3 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+4, +0 Size)

Enhanced Advantages 5: All-Out Attack, Extraodinary Effort, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Initiative (5)

"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking) (4)
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
Speed 1 (4 mph) (1)

"Arctic Predator"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic) (2)
Immunity 1 (Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (0.5)
Enhanced Dodge 2 (2)

"Natural Size" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (8)
Strength-Damage +2 (2)
-- (35 points)

"Magic Staff" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [14]
"Spectral Archer" Blast 13 (Feats: Accurate 2, Extended Range 2, Penetrating 8) (Extras: 30ft. Burst Area 8) (Flaws: Limited to One Shot -2) (23 points)

Equipment:
"Silver Flail" Strength-Damage +2 (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Flail +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Spectral Archer +10 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Power Loss (Animal Form)- Visionaries cannot maintain Animal Form continuously, and will eventually change back to normal.
Disabled (Animal)- The Visionaries may not speak whilst in Animal Form, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Power Loss (Staff)- To utilize a Staff's power, a Visionary must speak a short two-line poem aloud.
Relationship (Galadria)- The two appear to be happy, teasing lovers, but aren't overly affectionate in public.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 13 (148)

-Cryotek has one of the most-memorable names of his crew, and fit as a Strong Guy archetype, but acted a bit differently, also being the resident grouch (or "grumpy old bear" as Galadria called him). And unlike most kids' cartoons (which were often forced to include "don't want to belong/whiner" characters to teach kids about conformity by knocking on the grouches), this was depicted as kind of okay- the other Knights poked fun at him, but would rather have him be that way than something else! It was oddly affirming to have the "Grumpy Bear" of the team be treated as an equal who merely got teased for his quirks. He got only one real episode of focus, that being one where his Totem got merged with Cravex after they both ended up in the Dagger Assault's Magic Drainer, and he slowly went insane, trying to rule everyone with an iron fist, kill them, or run from them. His "Opposite Number" was Cindarr, though they only fought a little bit at the beginning of the series.

-Cryotek was also in one of the show's only two relationships (Leoric had a thing with a peasant girl)- HE was the one who'd hooked up with Galadria the Female Knight, who poked fun at him (and in the Pilot, jumped him from behind as a prank), but cared for him all the same. The "break" in his psychosis in his focus-episode was when Galadria was about to be killed by a falling parapet- Cryotek transformed into Bear Form, and leapt into its path, saving her (and suffering very little damage himself, he was one TOUGH Bear!).

-Cryotek has a pretty decent, if generic, toy- his broader head makes him look a bit stronger than the others, though his great height from the cartoon isn't reflected. The primary colors used in the toy make him look a bit simple, as does the under-detailed blue helmet, but he's got that bad-ass cat-o'-nine-tails silver weapon going for him, which looks pretty cool. Unusual weapon for the team's "Big Guy", too- most of them would have an axe or hammer, I would think.

-Cryotek is the strongest of the Spectral Knights, doing the most damage in both forms- as a human, he can lift 800 lbs., and he is FREAKISHLY strong and tough as a Polar Bear- able to withstand a falling castle parapet with little damage at all! At one point, he brawls with the ENTIRE Darkling Lords at once, and holds them off until he powers down (the only time in-series this is ever shown as happening involuntarily). Similarly, his Spectral Archer (less of a Summon as much as a Blast, since the thing exists only to fire one shot) does a ton of damage for it's one shot, though Lexor of the Darkling Lords always seems to throw his Force Field up over the group or their vehicles. The Archer's Blast is a bit complicated, since it has Burst Area at the point of impact like a military-grade weapon (ie. the target hit takes DC 28 damage, but others close by take DC 23) and is Penetrating for 8 ranks as well.

POLAR BEAR FORM
PL 10
STRENGTH 7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+9)
Intimidation 13 (+12 Size)
Percpetion 7 (+8)
Stealth 6 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit 2 (Ruler of Northalia), Diehard, Extraodinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Interpose, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking) [4]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

"Arctic Predator"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic) [2]
Immunity 1 (Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]

"Natural Size" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Natural Weapons +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +9, Fortitude +10, Will +7
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Jessica Cruz! Star Boy! The Fatal Five! Visionaries!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:05 am For one, turn the Power Staffs into Power Shields. Much more of a knightly thing than the awkward staffs.

Secondly, make it clear that Galadria and Virulina could both power/operate vehicles as well.
That's kind of funny, since the tie-in Marvel Comics series Galadria and Virulina actually got shield that operated similar to the staffs, after they both badmouthed Merklyn for not providing them with a useful power. As a result they got the powers of healing and sickness (no prize for guessing who got what), which pretty much worked by neutralizing each other.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Marvel's Visionaries

Post by Jabroniville »

Hah- I also lucked upon a collection of the 6-issue Visionaries comic book series, a year or so after first doing these builds for 3rd Edition. It's released by "Star Comics", Marvel's "Kiddie Book" offshoot, despite the show being pretty standard comic book fare- Swords, Sorcery & Combat. It's actually a bit interesting- Jim Salicrup wrote the first one, with Gerry Conway taking over on the rest of the issues, and a very young artist on his first pro assignment, by the name of Mark Bagley, does the art.

And really, can you imagine a HARDER assignment for a new artist? Not only do you have to draw FOURTEEN PEOPLE, all in completely-unique, distinctive suits of armor, but they all have unique, distinctive WEAPONS, and even their STAFFS (omnipresent on their uniforms, so you have to draw them in every scene) have unique shapes. Then, every guy has an ANIMAL LOGO on his chest, meaning you need to draw animals, AND keep them looking the same in each panel (naturally, there's a lot of close-ups on faces instead of torsos). Then each character can turn into ANIMALS, meaning you have to also draw animals in different poses, too! I can't imagine what a nightmare this was to draw.

Weird stuff: The Visionaries all appear as generic Animals when the change form in the first several issues- in the cartoon, Spectral Knights glow bright blue, and Darkling Lords glow bright green (because they've EEEEEEEVIL!). The Animal Totems come up VERY little- only in a few random scenes do you see attacking beasts (Bear, Lion, Gorilla), stealth ones (the Lizard & Beetle forms), or a few handy tricks (Eagle, Fox)- notably, Darkstorm never ONCE transforms into his Mollusk form. Naturally, Galadria & Virulina are unable to turn into Dolphin or Shark because THEY'RE NEVER UNDERWATER.

Also, there's a small undercurrent that if a Visionary stays in animal form for too long, the animal's spirit tends to overwhelm them and take control. And the Staffs work differently- in the cartoon, they act as powerful Summons- here, they simply act as generic Blasts or Fear Waves and the like- with the powers emanating from the Staffs themselves. And also, there is no "Recharge" limitation- guys can simply use their Staffs again and again, with no difficulty (in the show, they had to dip their Staffs into Merklyn's pool to use them again, making them limited to one shot per episode).

Issue #1: The first issue is based entirely upon the TV show's first episode, and a GIANT issue, to boot. Poor Bagley- his art is very rushed and shares nothing of his style even by the early '90s (this issue is from 1988). One minor change sees DARKSTORM be responsible for trapping Reekon, Cravex & Cindarr, then blackmailing them into swearing loyalty to him- it makes him EXTRA conniving. Him declaring their savagery and faults, and adding "MY kind of people!" is great. I still find it bizarre that all the Knights & Lords are running around in armor with blank chestplates and blank staffs, which JUST HAPPEN to be the sources of their later-gained Magic Powers.

Issue #2: The two groups, just having gotten their powers, decide to brawl, then move off into their own groups. They split off to scheme against each other, showing pretty generic personalities (the heroes, even in the cartoon, were pretty much the same heroic dude replicated over and over- sort of like the 1960s Justice League)- only greedy Reekon, cowardly Lexor, and bootlicking Mortdredd are much different from the others. Reekon & Mortdredd discover some working vehicles, in one of those flagrant attempts to get kids to look at these toys.

Issue #3: Bagley must have had extra time here- the art is now DISTINCTLY Bagley-esque, with big, expressive, thin-lined faces. In this one, they find a super-convoluted means to reverse the Age of Magic back to the Age of Science, but Leoric decides not to go through with it, feeling that the current situation is how things should be (keep in mind that COUNTLESS thousands, perhaps MILLIONS, have died).

Issue #4: My God, I never realized how much Bagley's art style was inspired by Alan Davis's work until just now. There are a few similarties in their baseline (thin pencil/pen lines, expressive cartoonish faces), but here he's drawing an evil Sorceress Lady that's STRAIGHT from the Book of Alan Davis cliches- a long, slinky body, elongated face, GIGANTIC long hair, neckline down to her privates, etc. It's like an Alan Davis Excalibur supporting cast member just popped into the Visionaries universe. In this issue, she manipulates the dreams of Witterquick of the Knights, and Cindarr of the Lords, into freeing her. Interesting how in the comic, Cindarr's stupidity is nowhere to be seen, but he retains SOME sense of nobility- he attempts to ensure the mad sorceress is kept imprisoned, and he & Witterquick part regretting that they could not be friends.

Issue #5: A new major plot thread starts up, as Merklyn is dying and needs the characters to find Talismans controlling the four elements. The only funny thing is he sends two Knights & two Lords on each mission, which GUARANTEES they'll only find complications. Dude should really just send groups all on one side. They correct one of the goofy things about the cartoon by giving the two female Visionaries special powers- Galadria gains a Shield of Healing, and Virulina a Shield of DISEASE. So in this issue, Cryotek & Galadria face off against Cravex & Reekon. I was a HUGE Cravex fan as a kid, though his psychopathic nature is downplayed here- he's more of a standard cruel bad guy. Cryo & Galadria have a lot of sexual chemistry (just like the show), especially by the end where the gruff old guy is all "In the name of love, BREATHE!" and stuff. It's pretty cute when she starts teasing him for showing a semblance of caring ("is that a TEAR I see in your eye?" "Uh, ah, *ahem*...).

Bizarrely, Cryotek can now transform into a big, GLOWING GREEN BEAR, as now they look more like the cartoon's animals... except everyone's green. The art seems more rushed, and less Bagley-esque, too. In any case, Cravex runs off with this Talisman.

Issue #6: Another Talisman hunt, seeing Arzon & Feryl fighting against Cindarr & Virulina. They meet a bunch of people who can fly thanks to the Air Talisman, but Virulina starts POISONING everyone, nearly killing dozens of people (including Feryl). She's pretty much being shown as a Chaotic Evil indidivual, especially when she tortures Cindarr for expressing loyalty to Darkstorm ("Darkstorm is my master because he is STRONG!"). The heroes win the day in this one, with Arzon convincing the xenophobic air people to give him their talisman after he saves their lives from Virulina.

I actually recall this one, as I had a comic-collecting friend who owned it- I even remember the blurb at the end about this being the final issue of the series- halfway through a four-part arc. Since the toyline didn't earn enough profit (the holograms were VERY expensive to produce), the great cartoon series was cancelled after its first season, and the comic soon followed. The creators basically said they were taken aback and disappointed by the order to cease publication.

All in all, it was an iffy series- Bagley's art often felt quite rushed, and the fact that there were FIFTEEN recurring characters (the Visionaries, plus Merklyn), as well as unique individuals in each issue (an Engineer who made vehicles; an evil Sorceress), really cluttered up the storytelling. Very little of the cast had ANY kind of characterization, especially Ectar & Feryl on the good-guy side (at least the others maintained an issue or two of focus each). The fact that Animal Totems so rarely came into effect, and most of the stories focused on tiny chunks of the cast, was also kind of bad.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I remember the Visionaries toys (although neither I nor any of my friends had any) and I think I watched the pilot episode. I remember them encountering some sort of giant living statue, and only defeating it because it fled when they charged, having never learned to fight, and thinking that that wasn't going to be as easy next time, when they'd actually have to fight it. But I suspect they never had to undergo trials to access Merklynn's pool again.
Jabroniville

Cindarr

Post by Jabroniville »

"By nature's hand, by craft, by art; what once was one now fly apart!"

CINDARR
Role:
The Strong Guy, Dumb Mook, Villain With an "F" in Evil
Played by: Peter Cullen
PL 8 (117)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+12)
Expertise (Knight) 3 (+1)
Expertise (Construction Worker) 6 (+4)
Insight 2 (+1)
Intimidation 7 (+7)
Perception 4 (+3)
Persuasion 2 (+2)
Technology 3 (+1)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Mace), Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Darkling Lord Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [28]
Protection 2 (2)

"Gorilla Form"

Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
Enhanced Stamina 3 (6)

Enhanced Skills 8: (4)
Athletics 2 (+14)
Intimidation 4 (+11)
Perception 2 (+5)

Enhanced Advantages 2: Extraordinary Effort, Ultimate Strength Check (2)

"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) (3)
"Ape Strength & Long Arms" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) (2)
Protection 1 (1)
-- (35 points)

"Magic Staff" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Summon Destroyer Monster 5 (Extras: Heroic +2) (Flaws: Limited to One Use -2) (10 points)

Equipment:
"Golden Mace" Strength-Damage +2 (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Mace +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Power Loss (Animal Form)- Visionaries cannot maintain Animal Form continuously, and will eventually change back to normal.
Disabled (Animal)- The Visionaries may not speak whilst in Animal Form, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects. Cindarr, as an ape, can do the latter, however.
Power Loss (Staff)- To utilize a Staff's power, a Visionary must speak a short two-line poem aloud.
Power Loss (Staff Time-Out)- The Staff's Powers have a very short shelf-life. Cindarr's Monster will only last for a handful of rounds- typically 5-8.
Accident (Uncontrolled Monster)- Cindarr's Summon simply desires to do as much damage as possible. However, should no enemy targets present themselves, he will turn on his summoner and his allies.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 13 (117)

-Cindarr is your classic dopey, dumb villain, but with a few twists. Initially showing up as the Opposite Number to Cryotek (getting the gorilla totem because he climbed up a stalactite and kicked a bunch of others down onto Cryotek), they quickly dropped any hint of a rivalry and made him the villain who was secretly a nice guy. He was the "Stormer" of the Darkling Lords! During a huge battle at the New Valarak castle, he tossed a giant rock at a parapet and collapsed part of it, only to suddenly quit fighting. See, he detected a CAT in the rubble, and immediately had to stop and rescue the kitty, petting it softly. The villains were BESIDE THEMSELVES at this act of mercy, and I remember making fun of him for it to my dad (who then lectured me that it made him a really nice guy- I still felt that as a villain, his job was to kill the heroes and that was that :)). But this cemented Cindarr's characterization- in a later episode, he would succeed in gaining the horn of a Unicorn through the same sensibility, as he refused to kill one of the animals, and even rescued a tiny baby that had been trapped- the Nymphs offered him a relic horn instead, thus saving all of Prysmos from a Magic Plague.

-The crazy bit? Cindarr was voiced by PETER CULLEN. Peter Cullen, the same man who gave Optimus Prime his pride, and Ironhide his gruffness. Cullen voicing the dopiest, most easily-fooled Darkling Lord is a hilarious bit of unexpected casting. His Staff was easily the most-used and most-important to the plots, since his Summoned Monster went on frequent rampages important to whatever was going on.

-Cindarr had one of the best toys of the line- his bulky, brick-red armor looked great, as did his rounded helmet with the giant black eyepieces- it was distinctive and had a great silhouette, and implied toughness. He was also one of the only '80s toys I can remember to sport the white hair of a much older man. His big golden club is also one of the more impressive Visionaries weapons, looking quite dangerous.

-Cindarr stats up well against Cryotek as the two strongest guys of their respective crews, but he's a bit worse on defense, and his Animal Form is less powerful. He's also an ex-Construction Worker, having been in the first scenes of the pilot, as his flying Contruction Machine broke down upon the beginning of the Age of Magic. The most-powerful aspect of him however, is the Summon, which goes on a PL 12 rampage for several rounds, only stopping when either the time runs out, or it eats damage from Cryotek's Summoned Arrow.

GORILLA FORM
PL 9
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+14)
Expertise (Knight) 3 (+1)
Expertise (Construction Worker) 6 (+4)
Insight 2 (+1)
Intimidation 11 (+11)
Perception 6 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+2)
Technology 3 (+1)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Mace), Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Ultimate Strength Check

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Ape Strength & Long Arms" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +8, Fortitude +7, Will +4

DESTRUCTION MONSTER
PL 12 (62)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Intimidation 10 (+7, +13 Size)
Perception 4 (+1)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack

Powers:
Growth 12 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (48 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
"Giant Powerhouse" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +13, Fortitude +12, Will +4

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 17 (62)
Jabroniville

Galadria

Post by Jabroniville »

Healing - "By warmth of heart, your pain I feel. Grant me the power, your wounds to heal!"

GALADRIA
Role:
The Chick, Backgrounder, "What Kind of Power is Heart, Anyways" Character
Played by: Susan Blu
PL 7 (160)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 7 (+9)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Knight) 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 6 (+11)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Equipment (Sai Thingie), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Sai), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 5, Seize Initiative, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Spectral Knight Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [28]
Protection 2 (2)

"Dolphin Form"

Enhanced Skills 6: (3)
Intimidation 1 (+5)
Perception 5 (+12)

"Echolocation & Vision" Senses 6 (Extended, Ultra & Accurate Hearing, Extended & Low-Light Vision) (6)

"Sea Creature"
Swimming 5 (30 mph) (5)
Immunity 4 (Cold, Drowning, Suffocation, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (2)

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (6)
Strength-Damage +1 (1)
-- (34 points)

"Magic Shield" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [26]
Healing 10 (Feats: Persistent) (Extras: Energizing, Area, Selective, Restorative) (Flaws: Limited to One Use -2) (41) -- (42 points)
AE: Deflect 8 (8)

Equipment:
"Silver Sai Thingie" Strength-Damage +1 (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sai +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+5 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- The Visionaries may not speak whilst in Animal Form, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Power Loss (Shield)- To utilize a Shield's power, a Visionary must speak a short two-line poem aloud.
Responsibility (No Womanly Abilities)- Despite her gender, Galadria has no idea how to sew clothing, so she makes a poor slave laborer.
Disabled (Scent)- Dolphins are thought to have either no sense of smell at all, or only tiny amounts of scent capability. Their blowholes are closed when underwater, and useless in open air.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 11 (160)

-It sucked to be a female character in boys-related toy-lines in the 1980s & 90s. Actually, it still kinda sucks to be one now. See, for the awful, horrendous crime of being born with vaginas, these characters were refused action figure releases since "boys don't want to play with girl toys". Only G.I. Joe and He-Man averted this for the most part among the boy-lines, and even in those cases the girls took longer to come out, and were more rare. Even nowadays it's much harder to find the female action figures (though heaven knows the "Collectible Statuettes" market caters to fanboys with way over 50% female characters).

-Due to this, Galadria & Virulina were given the shaft compared to all the other characters- they didn't even appear as figures in the cancelled second-series, which introduced EIGHTEEN MORE male Knights! I wonder why the show even bothered to add them, aside from giving classic female '80s voice actor Susan Blu (Arcee of Transformers, and the iconic Stormer of Jem and the Holograms) something to do, and an evil scheming villainess in Virulina. They were benefited with NO Magic Staffs, had no ability to empower Vehicles that was ever shown, and even their ANIMAL FORMS were useless- as a Dolphin & Shark, they were left changing forms on only TWO separate occasions- the second episode, and the final one. I mean, who wants a form that can only transform UNDERWATER, when no other character spends much time there?

-Galadria was a pretty generic Backgrounder in much of the show, but in an unusual twist, she was paired off with big, grumpy Cryotek, playing her up as a teasing romantic partner. Most shows either ignore romance entirely, or have the Main Girl hook up with the Main Guy. This provides some interesting contrast, but the two don't get up to much, given how she never gets an episode of focus or anything.

-At PL 7, Galadria is a standard Visionary (she's not much weaker than the men, and is just as good in combat, despite using a much lighter weapon), but costs MUCH more than normal, thanks to a powerful Healing Shield (the second series introduced Shields, and the comics took a hint and added some for the girls) that can save the people affected by Virulina's power. It only appeared in issue 5 of the cancelled Star Comics series, and I have no idea how it really worked. Since Shields break the defensive caps of the characters, I just stuck a Deflect power onto it.

DOLPHIN FORM
PL 8
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Sea Acrobatics 6 (+10)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Hunters) 9 (+11)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+3)
Perception 10 (+12)
Stealth 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Close Attack 2, Equipment (Sai Thingie), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Sai), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 5, Seize Initiative, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Echolocation & Vision" Senses 6 (Extended, Ultra & Accurate Hearing, Extended & Low-Light Vision) [6]

"Sea Creature"
Swimming 5 (30 mph) [5]
Immunity 4 (Cold, Drowning, Suffocation, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +5
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Virulina

Post by Jabroniville »

"Wind of sickness, illness most vile, strike down my enemy, with disease revile!"

VIRULINA
Role:
The Evil Chick, Femme Fatale
Played by: Jennifer Darling
PL 7 (159)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+7)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Knight) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Newscaster) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Equipment (Hook Sword), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Hook Sword), Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Seize Initiative

Powers:
"Darkling Lord Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [34]
Protection 2 (2)

"Shark Form"
Morph 1 (Flaws: Recognizable- Green Body) (4)

Enhanced Skills 8: (4)
Intimidation 4 (+9, +11 Size)
Perception 4 (+9)

"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Extended 2 & Acute Scent, Tracking-Scent, Low-Light & Extended Vision) (6)
"Lateral Lines" Senses 1 (Ranged Touch) (1)
"Electrolocation" Senses 5 (Detect Electrical Signals- Acute, Accurate & Ranged) (5)

"Sea Creature"
Swimming 4 (16 mph) (4)
Immunity 1 (Drowning) (1)

"Natural Size" Growth 5 (Str & Sta +5, +5 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -5 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (10)
"Shark's Bite" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
-- (42 points)

"Magic Shield" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [26]
"Disease" Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued & Impaired, Disabled & Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Progressive +2, Area- 60ft. Cloud +3, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to One Use -2) (41) -- (42 points)
  • AE: Deflect 8 (8)
Equipment:
"Golden Hook Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Hook Sword +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+5 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Power Loss (Shield)- To utilize a Shield's power, a Visionary must speak a short two-line poem aloud.
Motivation (Power)- Virulina is the most-ambitious of the Darkling Lords, save Darkstorm himself.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 8 (159)

-Similar to Galadria, Virulina (who is briefly seen in the opening episode as a newscaster who goes off the air when technology fails on Prysmos) was left with no Staff or Vehicle ability (though the cartoon sometimes showed her piloting one; it's established that other characters can move something once it's been activated by one of the four who could do so), and her Animal Totem left her useless on land, so they had to do other things with her. Basically, they made her a combination of The Baroness and Evil-Lyn- wearing disguises and being sneaky, while also trying to scheme her own way into power. In many ways, she was the LEAST loyal of the Darkling Lords- Reekon was a mercenary who would turn on Darkstorm the second his coffers ran out, Mortdredd was a bootlick, Cindarr was honour-bound to stay with Darkstorm, Lexor was too cowardly to make a grab for power, and Cravex was merely a homicidal missile to point at Darkstorm's enemies. VIRULINA, on the other hand, would actively had grabbed power if it suited her.

-Her design is pretty classic "Evil '80s Cartoon Chick"- not really sexed-up (most cartoons made the heroines noticeably prettier than villainesses, the Baroness notwithstanding), purple hair, weird hairstyle (odd "horns" on it and a HUGELY pronounced widow's peak), arched eyebrows, etc. Her armor was purple & purpler, and she generally just seemed unpleasant.

-Virulina stats up sort of like Galadria in most ways (she wasn't an actively-worse fighter than any male character), right down to the Aquatic Animal Totem (though a Shark is more dangerous overall, they're equal in PLs, as Galadria defeated her the one time they fought underwater). The comics offered her a Shield of Disease (I remember her using it on Cindarr one time as an example of it's power)- these little trinkets boost the girls well beyond most of their contemporaries in terms of overall point-cost.

SHARK FORM
PL 8
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Close Combat (Bite) 3 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+7)
Intimidation 11 (+10 Size)
Perception 10 (+10)
Stealth 7 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite) 3, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Extended 2 & Acute Scent, Tracking-Scent, Low-Light & Extended Vision) [6]
"Lateral Lines" Senses 1 (Ranged Touch) [1]
"Electrolocation" Senses 5 (Detect Electrical Signals- Acute, Accurate & Ranged) [5]

"Sea Creature"
Swimming 4 (16 mph) [4]
Immunity 1 (Drowning) [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 5 (Str & Sta +5, +5 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -5 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [11]
"Shark's Bite" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Shark Bite +6 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +5
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Just one of those weird things in fiction where a character can turn into one of the most feared predators on the planet and still be considered useless. Thing is, given most civilizations need to be near a reliable source of water to live, Virulina's tactics should really have involved trying to get her opponents into water, where everyone but Galadria would instantly be at her mercy.

I mean, could you imagine the kind of horror show she'd be in even a PG-13 setting? A bunch of expendable gunts fall into a body of water and then a giant, green magical shark emerges and starts swimming at them? We get a close up of their terrified faces and cut to black as the screaming starts. She's like if the Baroness was a Knight that could turn into Jaws.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Leoric

Post by Jabroniville »

"Whispered secrets of a shattered age, I summon you: renew this sage!"

LEORIC
Role:
The Leader, Generic Leader Guy
Played by: Neil Ross
PL 10 (159)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Deception 1 (+5)
Expertise (Knight) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Prince) 6 (+9)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 1 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit 3 (Prince of New Valarak), Diehard, Equipment 1 (Whip), Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Whip), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Spectral Knight Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [36]
Protection 2 (2)

"Lion Form"
Enhanced Strength 1 (2)
Enhanced Stamina 1 (2)

Enhanced Animal Skills: (4)
Acrobatics 1 (+5)
Athletics 1 (+9)
Intimidation 4 (+9, +10 Size)
Perception 2 (+8)

Enhanced Advantages 9: All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting (9)

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (4)

"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) (5)
Speed 3 (16 mph) (3)
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 (15 feet) (1)
"Lion's Mane" Features 2: +4 to Resist Choking Grapples or Neck-Bites (2)
-- (45 points)

"Magic Staff" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [4]
"Summon the Wise, Cryptic Owl" Summon 6 (Extras: Controlled) (Flaws: Limited to One Use -2) (6 points)

Equipment:
"Silver Whip" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach 3, Improved Trip) (5)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Whip +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+5 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Power Loss (Staff Time-Out)- The Staff's Powers have a very short shelf-life. The Owl will give one piece of advice/prophecy and that's that.
Power Loss (Vague Owl)- The Wise Owl basically just says cryptic riddles that the Spectral Knights later attach meaning to. I mean, he tells them to find wisdom in a circle of light, and they decide to form a circle and call themselves The Spectral Knights- WTF??
Relationship (Fletchen)- A local peasant girl grows quite close to Leoric, and is the only one to defend him when he's trapped in Lion Form amongst a supersticious populace.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 14 (159)

-Leoric is the proud, noble leader of the Spectral Knights, and suffers from the worst pratfalls of that "type"- being rather boring and a bit stodgy. There's one episode in which he's faced with a lot of doubt, and whines all the time, because he's been aged into an old man, but otherwise he's pretty upstanding and flawless. Oddly, there's ANOTHER episode where he's transformed- he's trapped in his leonine form by the Darkling Lords, and only a Sexy Farmer's Daughter can help him out. That character actually recurs later, becoming a sexless female companion of his.

-Leoric's design is fairly boring and standard, but somewhat necessary for a line like this- he's one of the few Animated Series Leaders with facial hair, being given the mustache and beared my dad had in the 1980s. His armor has two very elongated, block-ended shoulder pads on it, which are reflected on his staff, at least giving him a distinctive silhouette. The giant whip (longer than the figure is tall) makes his toy rather unique, as few heroic figures had huge silver whips attached to them, kind of making up for the boring color scheme (light blue and green).

-Leoric, like most Leader-types in 1980s Cartoons, is effectively the best one out of his entire crew- he can take on four or five members of the Darkling Lords at once and actually hold his own for a good while (and effortlessly defeats a bunch of Pirates, and wrecks their ship), so I made him PL 8 on offense, PL 8.5 on defense (he's harder to hit, AND more accurate)- boosting to PL 10 as a Lion. He's smart, wise and altogether Skilled, as well as being the best fighter. Unlike most Leaders, he uses a whip as his main weapon- it's pretty tough (doing +1 damage, unlike most Whips), but can still be damaged- at one point, a Land Pirate cuts it in half with his sword. Leoric's Owl Summon is basically identical to Arzon's in every way, except that it basically tells him how to win, but cryptically. I figure this is the usual "Ask the GM a Question" thing, plus some Precognition to know how things pan out.

THE POWER OF WISDOM
PL 1 (88), PL 8 (88) Skills
STRENGTH
-- STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 10 AWARENESS 6 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (History) 8 (+18)
Expertise (Current Events) 8 (+18)
Insight 10 (+16)
Perception 10 (+16)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Jack-of-All-Trades, Well-Informed

Powers:
Flight 1 (4 mph) [2]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 2 [2]

"Knowledge of All Things" Senses 6 (Vision Counters Illusion & Penetrates Concealment) [6]
Senses 4 (Precognition) [4]
Features 1: Directed Inspiration- May ask the GM a Question With an HP [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +2, Fortitude --, Will +6

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 10 (88)

LION FORM
PL 10
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 3 (+9)
Deception 1 (+5)
Expertise (Knight) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Prince) 6 (+9)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 9 (+10 Size)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 7 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Stealth 5 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit 3 (Prince of New Valarak), Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Follow-Up Strike, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Leadership, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 [1]
"Lion's Mane" Features 2: +4 to Resist Choking Grapples or Neck-Bites [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws & Teeth +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +6, Fortitude +9, Will +8
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:43 am Just one of those weird things in fiction where a character can turn into one of the most feared predators on the planet and still be considered useless. Thing is, given most civilizations need to be near a reliable source of water to live, Virulina's tactics should really have involved trying to get her opponents into water, where everyone but Galadria would instantly be at her mercy.

I mean, could you imagine the kind of horror show she'd be in even a PG-13 setting? A bunch of expendable gunts fall into a body of water and then a giant, green magical shark emerges and starts swimming at them? We get a close up of their terrified faces and cut to black as the screaming starts. She's like if the Baroness was a Knight that could turn into Jaws.
I usually call that "the Aquaman Paradox" and it's a recurring theme in most of pop culture: we live in a planet that is 80% water, we need significant water sources just to stay alive and pretty much any human settlement has some kind of nearby body of water. Yet, in any pop culture media, being a water-based character is automatically worst than any one else.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Shock

Post by Shock »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:28 am
Ares wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:43 am Just one of those weird things in fiction where a character can turn into one of the most feared predators on the planet and still be considered useless. Thing is, given most civilizations need to be near a reliable source of water to live, Virulina's tactics should really have involved trying to get her opponents into water, where everyone but Galadria would instantly be at her mercy.

I usually call that "the Aquaman Paradox" and it's a recurring theme in most of pop culture: we live in a planet that is 80% water, we need significant water sources just to stay alive and pretty much any human settlement has some kind of nearby body of water. Yet, in any pop culture media, being a water-based character is automatically worst than any one else.
It's not really a paradox. If you put the "water guy" in a position to excel then everyone else is useless. So it's either one guy sucks or everyone else does.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:28 am

Not really. It's not that having Water themed powers are considered terrible, people know that something like a Water Bender or such could be strong. It's having a power that's reliant on both you and the target both being submerged in a large body of it that's seen as useless. Yeah, a lot of the planet is covered in water but outside of very specific circumstances people tend to avoid being around, let along inside, large bodies of it. So in order to sue their power they have to wait for a crime taking place inside this area that humans don't normally bother doing much in or somehow trick the target into doing something that they probably don't normally do by jumping in said body of water themselves while the user is effectively powerless until that point.

There's no paradox, it's simple logic.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Oh wow. Beautifully complex builds for these guys. I glazed over at these and the other fantasy era type cartoons, bu wow, they really turn out interesting.

Also, Glad and Vir are pretty hot.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Darkstorm

Post by Jabroniville »

Decay- "By what creeps, what crawls, by what does not; let all that grows recede and rot!"
Decay Reversal - "Power of rot, obscuring truth, what once was old restore to youth!"

DARKSTORM
Role:
The Big Bad Villain, Evil King
Played by: Chris Latta
PL 9 (199)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 11 (+14)
Deception 5 (+9)
Expertise (Lord) 8 (+12)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+9)
Investigation 3 (+7)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 1 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Lord), Daze (Deception), Diehard, Equipment 2 (Pointed Mace), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Mace), Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Taunt

Powers:
"Darkling Lord Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [55]
Protection 2 (2)

"Mollusk Form"
Morph 1 (Flaws: Recognizable- Green Body) (4)

Enhanced Skills 2: (1)
Ranged Attack (Acid Spit) 2 (+10)

"Mollusk Shell" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 7) (9)
"Acid Spit" Blast 6 Linked to Weaken Toughness 6 (Extras: Secondary Effect, Affects, Objects, Ranged) (36)

"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Extended & Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision) (3)
"Slime Trail" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) (2)

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -5 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (6)
-- (68 points)

"Magic Staff" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [17]
Summon Aging Beast 9 (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Controlled, Heroic +2) (Flaws: Limited to One Use -2) (28 points)

Equipment:
"Pointed Mace" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (8)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Hook Sword +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3 (+5 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Darkstorm is obsessed with gaining power. He frequently tries to betray the hugely-powerful Merklynn just because he hates doing someone else's bidding (and because Merklynn has power), and he refused to help a quartet of helpless Knights unless they swore eternal allegiance to him- Lexor, Virulina, Cindarr & Cravex finally agreed.
Motivation ("It is SO much easier to be EVIL")- Darkstorm enjoys being evil, finding it simpler and quicker.
Drawbacks (Cannot Swim)- Despite his high Athletics score, Darkstorm is helpless in the water.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 71 / Defenses: 11 (199)

-Darkstorm is in many ways your Typical Big Bad Villain of 1980s cartoons, in that he rules over something, has a bunch of treacherous, mentally-screwed-up Mooks underneath him, and a personal rivalry with the hero. Also, he has an EVIL BEARD and EVIL EYEBROWS, both being very pointy. His armor was pretty cool, having a double-visored helmet and a green colour scheme, though his Animal Form was weird. Molluscs are a real thing, but his "Mollusk" was HUGE, spit acid (or something like it- he only did it once), and was generally not seen fighting except for a couple scenes (in which Leoric's Lion Form just jumped onto its back to avoid being hit).

-Darkstorm is actually rather clever, too- as the show's cast was 50% villainous, they had to actually detail what they were like. And so Darkstorm would rescue people in order to gain their loyalty, and actually come up with real solutions to problems. When confronted with a "Wizards Who Always Lies", he takes all of five seconds to figure out how to get information out of him ("Do you know where the Magic Device is?" "NO!" *smirks* "Then where ISN'T it?" "It ISN'T to the WEST!"). He's also quite the vicious bastard- at one point he tells his Darkling Lords to KILL ALL OF THE VILLAGERS just because the Lords were losing a fight to The Spectral Knights, nearly kills a guy just to prove to some villagers that they should swear fealty to him, and forces a bunch of the Lords to be his minions in payment for saving them.

-Darkstorm has a very cool toy- one of the best figures in the line, with a dark green and light blue color scheme that marks him as a villain, especially as his entire face is covered. Alas, the helmet is a singular piece of plastic, so it's monochromatic instead of packing a black double-visor like in the cartoon (I have two masks, so I colored the visors in with a sharpie on one of them- it looks much better that way). But it's something. His weapons is one of the weakest, though- it's just an axe with a pointy thing on the back end.

-Darkstorm himself is the most expensive Visionaries character, as his Mollusk Form is uniquely-varied in abilities, and he has high stats all-around. He's less of a moron or coward as many '80s Villains were- he rarely runs when the first opportunity comes along, and he even outwitted The Wizard Who Always Lies. His most dangerous ability is the power to Summon a Decay Monster that can permanenly age somebody into an elderly form. Unfortunately, like most super-powerful villainous abilities, it rarely got a chance to HIT in combat, and his Summon was often blasted away or something. There was one singular episode that revolved around it, however, where Leoric has been turned into an old man, and has to use the "wisdom of old age" to overcome the disabilities it brings on.

BEAST OF DECAY
PL 13 (132)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -4

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+10)
Intimidation 9 (+4)
Perception 9 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Initiative, Startle

Powers:
"Power of Decay" Affliction 14 (Fort; Fatigued & Vulnerable/Exhausted & Disabled/Transformed to Elderly) (Extras: Continuous +3) [56]
Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Power of Decay +12 (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 7 (132)

MOLLUSK FORM
PL 9
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 11 (+14)
Deception 5 (+9)
Expertise (Lord) 8 (+12)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+9)
Investigation 3 (+7)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Attack (Acid Spit) 2 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 1 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Lord), Daze (Deception), Diehard, Equipment (Pointed Mace), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Mace), Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Taunt

Powers:
"Mollusk Shell" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 7) (9)
"Acid Spit" Blast 6 Linked to Weaken Toughness 6 (Extras: Secondary Effect, Affects, Objects, Ranged) (36)

"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Extended & Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision) (3)
"Slime Trail" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) (2)

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -5 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (6)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Acid Spit +10 (+6 Ranged Damage & +6 Ranged Weaken, DC 21 & 16)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+5 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +4
Jabroniville

Ectar

Post by Jabroniville »

ECTAR
Role:
The Second-In-Command, The Tough Cop, Team Skillmonkey
Played by: Michael McConnoghie
PL 7 (165)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Knight) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Cop) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Close Attack 2, Equipment 1 (Claw Thing), Equipment 16 (Shares Cost of Lancer Cycle & Capture Chariot), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Claw Thing), Improved Defense, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Breathes Life Into Vehicles" Transform (Dead Vehicles Into Working Ones) 1 (Feats: Increased Mass 15- 25 tons) (Extras: Continuous) [18]

"Spectral Knight Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [24]
Protection 2 (2)

"Fox Form"

Reduced Stamina 1 (-2)
Enhanced Dodge & Parry 1 (2)
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) (6)
"Animal Physiology" Speed 4 (16 mph) (4)

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (8)
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)
-- (29 points)

Equipment:
"Silver Claw" Strength-Damage +1 (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Claw +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+5 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Power Loss (Vehicle Time-Out)- The Vehicles do not actually stay operational continuously- they will eventually lose power if Ectar or Feryl are not in contact with them.
Rivalry (Reekon)- Reekon was a crook before the Age of Science ended, and Ectar was often the cop who arrested him. Both have a mutual respect for the other.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 32 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 10 (167)

-Ectar is Leoric's Second-In-Command, key "person to talk to" (in receiving exposition or giving advice), and the other vehicle driver of the series, often seen piloting the Lancer Cycles. He's stoic and serious, and the meanest of his team by a ways- in Episode 10, he's shown threatening a criminal dwarf by holding him upside-down, and he's the first member of his team to threaten criminals and Darkling Lords alike. Ectar also reminds of my "playing Visionaries" as a kid, because I was happier than a pig in turd when I found out that the family's sprinkler could dual as Ectar's two-bladed weapon that wrapped around his wrist- it was one of those metal dealies.

-Ectar has a pretty plain toy, with a generic helmet and a bright white suit of armor with blue bits. Generic "Blonde Hero Guy" head, too- he's almost indistinguishable from Duke in G.I. Joe. The most unique thing about him was his weapon- a very small, two-pronged bladed weapon with zero reach or purpose. It's one of the weaker weapons in terms of effectiveness in real life, but the actual toy weapon at least looks cool and detailed. Because he was a pack-in with the Lancer Cycle, the smallest of the Visionaries vehicles, he's the easiest of the four "driver" characters to find online for good prices. The tiny weapon was easily-lost, however.

-Ectar's actually the most expensive member of his team, which surprised me- it turns out he's really the Skillmonkey of his team (one of the only ones with a real job mentioned before the "Age of Magic", and one that specializes in investigation, intimidation and tracking criminals, no less), in addition to having the ability to power Vehicles, and an expensive-ish Animal Form (the Fox is terribly underpowered comapred to the others- it's only PL 6 offensively, but has ranks of pricey Shrinking, making him the best Stealth-guy of the team as well).

FOX FORM
PL 7
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Expertise (Hunter) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+5, +9 Size)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 1 (Claw Thing), Equipment 14 (Shares Cost of Lancer Cycle & Capture Chariot), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Claw Thing), Improved Defense, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 4 (16 mph) [2]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2, Fortitude +1, Will +7

"LANCER CYCLE" 34 Equipment Points

Medium Size, Strength 2, Speed 6, Toughness 8, Defense 10 (11)
Weapons: Blast 7 (Extras: Multiattack), AE: Deflect 10 (Extras: Reflect), AE: Blast 10 (23)

-The Lancer Cycle was the smallest vehicle in the Visionaries toyline, being a single-rider vehicle with a hologram-covered transparent shield, a battering ram, and a gun on the side. It came with Ectar, who became the most-easily-found of the Visionaries pilots as a result.

-Lancer Cycles are pretty much motorcycle-sized, but have a bit of a Reflective Field to them, and can blast away (either Multiattack or a more powerful single blast). Ectar usually drives one solo.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.